Gameday 2009

Gameday: Cardinals (52-46) At Phillies (54-39)

St. Louis Cardinals (52-46) at Philadelphia Phillies (54-39)

Joel Pineiro (8-9, 3.09 ERA) vs. J.A Happ (7-0, 2.68)

Time: 7:05 p.m at Citizens Bank Park
Weather: Partly Cloudy, 81
TV:Comcast Sportsnet
Twitter: Phillies Nation

The Phillies open the weekend series with the St. Louis Cardinals, who just acquired Matt Holliday.  Holliday will be in the lineup batting cleanup tonight.  It should be a very close series as both these teams lead their divisions.

There is a very confident feeling with J.A Happ on the mound.  Happ has one career start against the Cardinals.  He pitched 6.1 innings and allowed two earned runs on five hits and four walks.

Both pitchers, Happ and Joel Pineiro, do not tally many strikeouts, but have had very successful seasons by relying on their defense.  In three career starts against the Phillies, Pineiro is 1-0 with a 2.33 ERA.

The entire Phillies Nation staff will be in attendence, hopefully to witness yet another Phillies victory.

Your Gameday Beer – Yuengling Lager
Bartender, I’ll have a Lager. Everyone’s favorite hometown beer is on tap for tonight’s tailgate. We’ll be in Lot M having a liquid dinner… maybe a Schmitter later. –By Brian

GO PHILLIES!

Click to comment

1. Frank

July 24, 2009 at 6:06 pm

mlbrumors.com (via ed price of aol fanhouse) says the jays are considering a deal that would send michael taylor lou marson jason donald and kyle drabek to the jays for halladay. this is a no brainer fot the phils…..great deal if this is what it ends up being.

2. Ed R.

July 24, 2009 at 6:09 pm

How unlucky are we that Holliday appears in the line up a solid 6 hours after getting traded. Certainly makes it harder to pitch around Pujols now.

3. Corey

July 24, 2009 at 6:11 pm

if the phillies don’t get halladay, they aren’t winning the world series. i’m greedy. i want a second WFC. do the trade.

and yuengling lager is terrible.

4. JoeDirt

July 24, 2009 at 6:19 pm

That trade would be terrible for us. Not that halladay isnt work it but Drabek is just too much to give up. anyone else but drabek. carasssco and savery. but not drabek

5. nate

July 24, 2009 at 6:36 pm

that’s a hell of a lot to give up for a guy you’re getting for a year and a half. maybe if you were sure that he’d sign an extension, but straight up four of the top 6 prospects in the system for a year and a half is kinda nuts. especially drabek. if you made that donald, marson, taylor and kendrick, i wouldn’t mind, except it throws my hometown ironpigs back to the dregs.

6. mikeB

July 24, 2009 at 6:46 pm

I go along with nate in his post but it is a shame if the Phils have to give up Marson, maybe the Phil’s future catcher. Phils need to keep Drabek and Taylor.

7. Brian of CO

July 24, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Its better than packaging Happ thats for sure. I also I disagree with Corey, Yuengling is definately NOT terrible. You want terrible, try Rogue.

8. Grrrumpy Miner

July 24, 2009 at 6:50 pm

I’m hitting the Poconos for the weekend and maybe catch a game on the TV.Also whats wrong with Yuengling Beer? I thought it was the Official beer of Pennsylvania? I happen to like it BTW.

9. Ed R.

July 24, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Yuengling is an excellent lager no doubt. Secondly, Marson is not the catcher of the future. Travis D. is. I am not in love with the proposed deal but I am ok with it. It has always been either Drabek or Happ in the deal for Halladay. Happ we know, Drabek could be great, could be a but. We don’t know, and neither do the Jays. It’s a risk for them as well.

10. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 6:57 pm

^I wouldn’t do that. trading Drabek and Happ? nooooooooooooo

11. Walter

July 24, 2009 at 7:01 pm

Buster Olney reporting on ESPN950 radio that the Phillies & Halladay trade will happen and includes top pitching prospect Kyle Drabek. #MLB

MLBXM & MLBNetwork are reporting Phillies are close to deal for Cy Young pitcher Roy Halladay. Announcement could come within 24 hrs

12. NJ

July 24, 2009 at 7:02 pm

I’d like a direct line to JP just to say ‘go f*ck yourself’…

13. mikeB

July 24, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Probably many of you have read or heard that Toronto wants both Happ and Drabek which if true, Amaro should turn a deaf ear to. Why not keep Happ, Drabek and Savery and package three of their top prospects rated behind Drabek and Savery which would probably include Knapp and also offer Donald and either Taylor or Brown? Who is supposed to be the better prospect, Taylor or Brown?

14. Ed R.

July 24, 2009 at 7:10 pm

I want so badly to say that I don’t care about this trade until it does or doesn’t happen but I can’t help but be sucked in and I hate it.

July 24, 2009 at 7:12 pm

1. This better NOT be Happ’s last start as a Phillie 🙁
    2. Let’s beat Holliday and the Cards!
    3. What a play by Feliz to get Pujols out!!!!!

July 24, 2009 at 7:15 pm

“They want Kyle Drabek, J.A. Happ and Dominic Brown.’

NO WAY, NO HOW.

17. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 7:18 pm

I would not trade Happ or Drabek.

Trading Happ still leaves a hole in the rotation, Rodrigo Lopez is not ultimately the answer a good bandaid but not the solution. No idea what Pedro would do, not a strong answer but addition if he is able to.

Drabek is one of the best pitchers I have seen at that age in some time. Halladay could help us win a world series, but it is not a definite, and Not having him does not mean we can’t repeat. Drabek will be in the rotation next year.

If we are able to get an extension and have Halladay for 3 -4 years that would be great but I am a Phillies fan for life not just the next 2 years. There are NO guarentees in baseball and what are all the fans going to do if we don’t win and we gave up the best prospect since Cole Hamels.

18. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 7:20 pm

NJ I agree

July 24, 2009 at 7:21 pm

People forget to see that side of the coin, Jeff of NoVa. I completely agree with your post.

20. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Dammit I hate Holliday now too

21. NJ

July 24, 2009 at 7:23 pm

I’ve just realised if someone phone up Riccardi and told him to ‘go f*ck himself’ he’d probably think it was Roy Halladay calling.

22. Andrew

July 24, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Holy cow. The cardinals announcers are acting like Holliday is the best player ever. Talking about his muscles even

this is funny. Isnt the guy marginal outside of colorado?

23. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Yeah if the Jays do not move Halladay his value goes down, he would be possibly moved in the offseason and he would only be able to help a team win once before free agency. The Jays have potential serious payrole issues in the next years with Rios, Rolen, Halladay and the god awful Wells contract

24. Walter

July 24, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Holliday with a nice first debut AB for cards with infield single, steal and a run scored. Happ obviously with some nerves due to the Halladay trade discussions heating up lately. Cards lead 1-0 with the rain delay. Don’t tell me Happ’s maybe last start will be done after only 1.2 IP.

Roy Halladay update: 1IP, 1H, 1BB, 1K

25. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 7:27 pm

rain delay are you serious? We can not get a break when we have a good pitcher on the mound

26. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Can we call mother nature and tell her to go F yourself

Jk

27. 85

July 24, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Hey everybody, if you’re looking to kill a minute during the rain delay, I finally started the Phils/baseball blog I’ve had in mind for a while. Two deadline-related posts up today. I hate to be the “read my blog read my blog read my blog” guy, but if you feel like checking it out and leaving a little feedback I’d appreciate it.

Rain, rain, go away. Unless the bats weren’t planning on coming out tonight, I guess.

28. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 7:33 pm

anyone up in Philly know if this is a delay or will it be a cancellation like the Marlins one

29. Jeff

July 24, 2009 at 7:33 pm

First off why would they start this game with a storm coming. Holliday sucks. If its Happ, Drabek, Brown you have to make it. I hate it because I want moyer gone but you have to get the best pitcher in baseball. Happ will not be a superstar. He has a long way to go. We dont know how good he will be.

30. Grrrumpy Miner

July 24, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Hate to tell ya,in order to get something of quality,ya have to give something quality back in return.

31. Andrew

July 24, 2009 at 7:33 pm

happ isnt going to be in any trade. hes the phils best pitcher

32. Griffin

July 24, 2009 at 7:34 pm

I was hoping J.P. would ask for Happ instead of Drabek, but oh well. Drabek, Taylor, Donald and something else (I’d hold onto Marson since he could platoon with Ruiz right now).

33. Grrrumpy Miner

July 24, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Andrew…if Happ is a part of the deal….than Halladay is the best pitcher on your team……Think about it.

34. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Grrrumpy Miner,

I agree but what I am saying is I am not sure you make the deal and give up all the farm. Just my thoughts though, I am just a teacher not a Major League Exec, so whatever they do we have to live with it.

I also believe there are other good prospects that can be sent, like Knapp, Taylor I am cool with or Brown, Donald, basically everyone in the system but Drabek, just not all of them LOL

35. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 7:43 pm

This kinda rain delay crap pisses me off, this is another reason our bullpen is in such bad shape, when they start back up, we have to go 8 1/3 innings of relief

Waste of arms

36. Jeff

July 24, 2009 at 7:45 pm

We all would love to keep happ. it would make our rotation that much better but you are replacing happ with the best. do it.

July 24, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Looking at the radar, looks like the storm will leave Philly around 8:30…

38. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 7:47 pm

so they will blow about 5-6 arms tonight that sux

39. The Little Guy

July 24, 2009 at 7:48 pm

I love all these people thinking your going to get arguably THE BEST PITCHER IN BASEBALL for a bucket of balls.

Your going to have to give up

1. Happ or Drabek
    2. Taylor or Brown
    3. Donald
    4. Marson

So the proposed deal of Drabek, Taylor, Donald and Brown is good with me.

How often can you obtain the best pitcher in the league, combine him with the best offense and best defense, plus Hamels, Happ, and Blanton type pitchers?

By the time Drabek becomes Jesus incarnate, Howard, Ibanez, Feliz, Werth will be gone, Rollins in decline, Utley may or not be around. Same with Victorino.

Do It.

40. Phil

July 24, 2009 at 7:49 pm

You arm chair GM’s crack me up. Brown is our best prospect. Knapp is our 4th best prospect. Taylor is expendable because he’s blocked right now and 24. Happ is pitching over his head. I’d like to see them trade Happ, Taylor, and 2 other guys like Carrasco and Marson.

41. Grrrumpy Miner

July 24, 2009 at 7:50 pm

I’m not a MLB exec or insider either….but I said a couple of days ago that this trade is gonna cost youse guys thru the nose.Now as a Mets fan either way that deal wouldn’t bother me.If the Phillies pull the trigger with Happ and Drabek in the mix its gonna be more harm in the long run because you don’t know if he wants to touch free agency.Will it get your titles,not guaranteed but it looks good if youse can get passed Mannywood.

42. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 7:52 pm

well Blue Jays want Brown, Drabek, and Happ

43. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I am okay with Happ over Drabek cause Happ is not a top of the rotation guy and next year you have this

Halladay
    Hamels
    Blanton
    Moyer(maybe, maybe not)
    Drabek

44. NJ

July 24, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Come on Riccardi doesn’t want to make a deal… If he did there would be something realistic being worked on, when a guy asks for your top pitching prospect, a ROY candidate and your top position prospect you know he’s not serious about making a deal.

45. Keith E

July 24, 2009 at 7:57 pm

I still say, ” stand pat”! Hamels, Blanton, Moyer and Happ in the playoffs will get the job done. I HATE free agency baseball. Everyone seems like a rental.
    GO PHILS!!!!

46. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 7:57 pm

I wouldn’t do Brown, Drabek, and Happ. that trade sucks.

game might resume at 8:10

47. Greg B

July 24, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Yuengling DOES suck.
    Don’t the umps have access to the Doppler? OR better yet, Charlie? This may be a drastic break in tradition, but Charlie should have started a reliever and kept Happ for the rain delay. I can’t wait til a manager pulls that stunt.
    Durbin would have been my pick, but he is DLed.

48. The Little Guy

July 24, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Game resumes around 8:10

4:20pm: The Phillies are “fully determined” to acquire Halladay, while the Dodgers still have a small chance of acquiring him, according to Knobler. As for the Jays, one person involved says “it’s obvious that they have to move him now.”

Keyword…determined

49. Ed R.

July 24, 2009 at 8:05 pm

6:47pm: Speaking on Sirius XM, commissioner Bud Selig said “I was told by somebody with pretty good inside knowledge that they won’t get rid of him,” referring of course to Halladay. He followed that up by saying “Now, whether that’s true or not, I don’t know. And, you know, clubs are going to start bidding it up.”

I can copy and past from mlbtraderumors.com too. All of it means nothing, everyone has a source, everyone has an opinion. None of it matters until its all said and done.

50. Jill

July 24, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Roy Halladay isn’t pitching that great

51. NJ

July 24, 2009 at 8:09 pm

nicely put Ed R.

And nothings going to happen until Riccardi stops fantasising about crapping on a toilet made of solid gold…

52. mikeB

July 24, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Matt Holliday’s home run numbers have been down since he departed Denver, Colorado which seems to indicate that the thin air out there in Denver in that high altitude helps the ball carry and helped pad his home run totals over the years that he played out there. While he greatly improves the Cardinal lineup, I would venture to think that opposing teams and pitchers consider him fairly manageable when he steps up to the plate. Certainly is not a quality hitter like Pujols. The key is keeping other Cardinals off of the bases when Pujols, Holliday and Ludwick come uo to the plate. Not to the degree that Ryan Howard is but all these Cardinal sluggers are prone to the strikeout.

53. j reed

July 24, 2009 at 8:11 pm

little guy- i was waiting for your two cents. here are mine. do it. I mean the deadliest sinkerball in the league (great cold weather pitch…like Fenway in Oct), a cutter, slow curve and change-up and also tonight not included but 17 BB….I don’t know but i think he locate all these pitches….what do you think? and he 6’5, 225 lbs. did i leave anything out.

54. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 8:12 pm

I think this is Bull the Phillies should not play the desperate card, we are not. We have won 15 of 17 our starting pitching has turned the corner we need fresh arms in the pen and some bench help.

Riccardi is a moron, if he gets Amaro to bite with that bs then Amaro is the moron and the Philly will never forgive him in 3 years.

I mean yes Halladay is great, but has zip on the post season experience and who knows he may blow up in the post season like Sabbathia does and ARod does. I like our chemistry, Halladay would be great in the locker room, but that is a lot to give up for ifs

55. Jill

July 24, 2009 at 8:14 pm

R. Halladay
    4.0 IP, 2H, 1ER, 5K

so far

56. Jill

July 24, 2009 at 8:19 pm

2ER

57. The Dipsy

July 24, 2009 at 8:21 pm

What in the HELL is Bud Selig doing talking about freakin’ trade rumours? Thats is the most assinine thing I’ve ever heard. There’s another moron. I’ve heard it from a reliable source that Bud Selig has no business talking to executives about player movement and then commicating it to the public. God, Wheeler sucks. Imagine if Goodell came out and said “Oh, yeah, well a, I’ve been told McNabb could be moved for two first round picks”

The Dipsy

58. The Little Guy

July 24, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Hamels got LIT UP against the Rockies in his post season debut and last year he won 4 game and was the WS MVP, stop with the no post-season success crap.

How about the 03 Marlins that beat the Yankees, im sure they suffered because of the lack of Post season expierence, Beckett did okay, didn’t he?

By saying he has no post season exp is looking for reason why you don’t think they should trade for him.

Ask every player on the team whether they should keep a couple of their good minor leaguers or trade them for THE BEST PITCHER IN THE LEAGUE?

Gotta appease your STAR players and fan-base.

59. The Dipsy

July 24, 2009 at 8:25 pm

Bob Gibson.

60. Jill

July 24, 2009 at 8:26 pm

okay little guy

61. j reed

July 24, 2009 at 8:26 pm

dipsy – Budd “no bias for the brewers” Selig

62. NJ

July 24, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Is it just me or does Bud Selig have that look like he’s on the wrong end of a ventriloquist team…?

63. The Dipsy

July 24, 2009 at 8:29 pm

What a great trivia question. Hmmmmm….Cardinals pitcher also played on the Harlem Globetrotters? Uh….lets see. He’s black, right? Nino Espinosa. Oh, he’s spanish. Can you play on the Globies if your spanish? He was kinda black, too, though.

The Dipsy

64. Ed R.

July 24, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Not long ago people here wanted Jake Peavy…his post season record is anything but good. Same thing with Johan Santana. I’ll take Roy over both.

65. The Little Guy

July 24, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Its Bob Gibson

66. The Dipsy

July 24, 2009 at 8:33 pm

At that all star game a few years back, someone woke Bud up in his seat and told him the game was tied and asked him what they should do. He then took the bull by the horns and firmly declared that the game would be decided on penalty shots. One his flacks pointed out that would be problematic given the rules of baseball so Bud called the game a tie cuz he wanted to get in his car so he could beat the traffic.

The Dipsy

67. Ed R.

July 24, 2009 at 8:33 pm

I believe the answer is Bob Gibson.

68. Ed R.

July 24, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Beat me to it Little Guy. Nicely done.

69. The Dipsy

July 24, 2009 at 8:34 pm

No…I was just surfing the net. Its Lee Smith. Nice try, though.

The Dipsy

70. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 8:34 pm

is Halladay a good hitter?

71. Ed R.

July 24, 2009 at 8:37 pm

In 1957, Gibson received a $3,000 bonus to sign with the Cardinals. He delayed his start with the organization for a year, playing with the Harlem Globetrotters, earning the nickname “Bullet” Bob Gibson (his nickname in baseball was “Hoot”, after Hoot Gibson, the cowboy and silent movie star).

72. The Little Guy

July 24, 2009 at 8:39 pm

During the rain delay, i played the Madden 10 demo on 360, it is unbelievably realistic.

73. The Little Girl

July 24, 2009 at 8:40 pm

did you win?

74. Hotstove

July 24, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Meanwhile, also on Twitter, Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus says a source told him there is a No. 32 jersey in the Phillies clubhouse.

75. The Dipsy

July 24, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Lee Smith, known as “The Cajun Closer” because he hailed from the State Louisiana, played for the ‘trotters in 1974. He achieved some reknown for purportedly dunking over on Truck Robinson in an exhibition game in Brownsville, Texas. He blew out his knee setting a pick for Curley Neal later that year and thus started his career in baseball.

The Dipsy

76. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 8:44 pm

I hate to say it Little Guy, that this has nothing to do with appeasing players, they are paid a boatload and if they hit the free agent market they are as good as gone if the price is right somewhere else.

Its about what is better for the team now to be successful and continue to be successful

July 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Is anyone actually watching the game? Happ is once again doing a very good job, this time against a righty-heavy lineup…Time to get the offense going

78. The Little Guy

July 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Nova…Gillick said it himself today on 950.

The FO owes it to the players and the fans to go out and obtain a player of Halladays caliber.

It’s not about helping those same players that brought a trophy to Philly last October? I beg to differ

79. The Little Girl

July 24, 2009 at 8:49 pm

you didn’t answer my question

80. Hotstove

July 24, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Octoberphest time again if we get dr. halladay

81. Jill

July 24, 2009 at 8:52 pm

R. Halladay
    7.0 IP, 2H, 1ER, 6K

7:46pm: Bob Elliot of The Toronto Sun reports that only the Phillies and Yankees have scouts watching Halladay tonight.

82. Hotstove

July 24, 2009 at 8:54 pm

So its down to the money bank and us to land this guy, our prospects are better so I think we have this edge atleast.

83. Jill

July 24, 2009 at 8:54 pm

2 ER

84. Jill

July 24, 2009 at 8:54 pm

no it’s 1 ER

85. repeat!

July 24, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Halliday update: 7ip 2h 1er 6k 2bb. You gotta do it Rub. You just gotta. This bull pen scares me death. You need a guy that can go the distance.

July 24, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Oh my, that was close Werth!

87. Stuart

July 24, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Random question, what is the average size for a professional outfielder glove. I have a 12.75 and i feel like the pros have to have bigger.

July 24, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Happ:

Ranks 6th in NL in ERA (2.68)
    Ranks 8th in NL in WHIP (1.15)

89. Ed R.

July 24, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Hotstove…how is there a number 32 jersey waiting in the Phillies locker room? Last time I checked that was Carlton’s number and its retired.

90. jeff s

July 24, 2009 at 9:00 pm

stuart ur glove is average for mlb

91. The Little Guy

July 24, 2009 at 9:00 pm

^Ed. R

Hahahahaha, chumping people up

92. The Little Guy

July 24, 2009 at 9:03 pm

The number 32 is on the wall in Ashburn alley, hahaha

93. Stuart

July 24, 2009 at 9:03 pm

jeff s thanks for answering. yeah i was plying with it today and i was like i wonder if the pros wear bigger or what.

94. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 9:04 pm

let’s go offense

95. Ed R.

July 24, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Honestly, if the Jays insisted on including Happ in a trade for Doc I would walk away. Unless it was Happ for Doc straight up and we know that won’t happen.

96. boxage

July 24, 2009 at 9:04 pm

the phils better start getting some runs for happ. he’s brilliant once again

97. Geoff

July 24, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Im seeing mad disinfo. ne guy says hes getting traded within 24 hrs, one says no. selig says he wont ever get traded. one guy says hes going for drabek, donald, taylor, marson – one says happ, drabek, brown (yeah right, the first package i said looks more realistic). MAD disinfo – that means shit is GOING DOWN BABY. it means that halladay will be ours – the only issue now is at what cost (hint: be prepared to be surprised in a good way – is my read)

98. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 9:11 pm

happ is pitching great but he sucked at that bunt

99. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 9:12 pm

perhaps we’ll hit in the 6th

100. The Little Guy

July 24, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Alright fellas, good talking to ya, but i gotta get ready to go to work.

Late

101. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Geoff what is Mad Disinfo?

102. Walter

July 24, 2009 at 9:13 pm

0 runs, 3 hits, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts, 9 groundouts, 3 flyouts, 5 innings for Phillies

103. The Dipsy

July 24, 2009 at 9:14 pm

I agree that we’ll be surprised in a good way:

Knapp, Carrasco, Donald, Marson

ugh I hate bloop hits

108. Terri

July 24, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Well this is not good

109. Jeff

July 24, 2009 at 9:21 pm

This is one of those games were we wont score any runs. Lets get this deal done rubby. Get our Drabek and a 3rd pitcher out of here. Bye Mr. Happ.

110. Ed R.

July 24, 2009 at 9:21 pm

I hope Happ gets a standing O after he gets lifted. Might not oh had his best outing ever but he has done a fantastic job for this club.

July 24, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Bunch of bloop singles…ugh

112. PGD

July 24, 2009 at 9:23 pm

ridiculous inning

113. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Well maybe many should stop talking about where Happ stands in stats, cause his ERA is about to go over 3

114. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 9:23 pm

take Happ out

115. Jeff

July 24, 2009 at 9:24 pm

This game is over. We are not scoring any runs and happ is being a number 3 tonight.

July 24, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Oh man what a horrible throw to home by Chase! CMon Happ!

117. Andrew

July 24, 2009 at 9:24 pm

guess the rain delay didnt help JA

118. Ed R.

July 24, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Just curious…if we get Halladay without giving up Happ then our rotation looks like this…Hamels, Halladay, Blanton, Happ, Moyer, Pedro, Lopez….who goes? Lopez probably but then what? Pedro or Moyer?

119. Terri

July 24, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Wow this is ugly. I guess Happ has come back down to reality. jk He has pitched well until today.

120. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 9:25 pm

yeah unless the bats wake up tonight this one is not looking good

121. PGD

July 24, 2009 at 9:25 pm

screw hitting the ball hard the new baseball philosophy is to get jammed

122. Jeff

July 24, 2009 at 9:25 pm

braves are hot. they will make a run at us. cardinals did a great job picking up some pieces. i wish we had albert and not howie baby. mr. k. thats all he does.

123. NJ

July 24, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Remember Pedro has incentives as a reliever…

124. Ed R.

July 24, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Happ has pitched well, even this inning…its not like most of those hits are solid and hard hits…its mostly bloop singles. From time to time that will happen. Even against the best.

July 24, 2009 at 9:26 pm

“This game is over”.. seriously Jeff? 6th inning buddy

126. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 9:27 pm

alright offense here we go

127. Andrew

July 24, 2009 at 9:28 pm

NLCS vs dodgers
    Halladay game 1
    hamils game 2
    happ game 3

128. repeat!

July 24, 2009 at 9:29 pm

This game ain’t over! We still get 4 more chances. I never count the Phillies out until there last out. We’ll make this one a game. You’ll see.

129. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 9:29 pm

this is a make it or break it inning.

Vic
    Utley
    Howard

130. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 9:31 pm

There we go Vic

131. Andrew

July 24, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor?

132. pn

July 24, 2009 at 9:32 pm

happ pitched well…only a few balls were hit really hard, but he had one bad inning – a lot of pitchers do.

133. Geoff

July 24, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Ill bet Hallady is traded like tomorrrow or after the games tonight. the jays wanted him to make one last start to say goodbye – because he is an icon in that cit for baseball. after that hell go for a favorable price and hell come here.

also, if hallday came here he would wear no. 33 or 34. ill go with 34.

134. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 9:34 pm

we haven’t been able to get that run in from 3rd

135. Terri

July 24, 2009 at 9:35 pm

The offense has failed us tonight. The had a couple of chances to score.

136. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 9:36 pm

man our middle of the order has been horrible with runners in scoring position

137. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 9:36 pm

blah

138. Ed R.

July 24, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Wow could the warning track be any more of an enemy to the Phillies tonight?

139. repeat!

July 24, 2009 at 9:38 pm

f@ck!

140. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Why do that?

Put Stairs in Left just so you can have a pitcher for maybe 2 innings.

Stairs is as good as a fielder as I am

141. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Walker to give up a couple runs?

142. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 9:45 pm

I really question Charlie’s predictable moves like this one, now we will have a 6 run deficit and no protection for Howard and argueably one of best hitters on the bench

143. boxage

July 24, 2009 at 9:46 pm

my heart stopped

144. NJ

July 24, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Just one of those games, Pinero’s having a pretty great year…

145. repeat!

July 24, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Phillies play Cards a whole lot better in St. Louis then vice versa. Weird

146. pn

July 24, 2009 at 9:50 pm

what’s up with walker?? can’t throw strikes…

147. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Man Walker sux send him back down

148. repeat!

July 24, 2009 at 9:51 pm

The D should blitz here. We need a turnover

149. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Okay Manuel your decision was a bad one! now you have to take Walker out and you still have Ibanez out, makes no sense

O sense

150. Keeg

July 24, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Yeah I never got the move to put Ibanez down late in the game either…maybe just used to it from Burrell.

it needs to stop…his groin is fine and doing it is just detrimental to the lineup.

speaking of which…sucks tonight…no W for the phils. we’re playing terribly.

151. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 9:53 pm

get Halladay now

152. Terri

July 24, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Wow. When was the last time the Phils got shut out this badly. It is usually the other way around.

153. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 9:56 pm

yeah and St Louis is playing with a regenevated purpose with Holliday in the lineup

154. repeat!

July 24, 2009 at 9:58 pm

braves/brew crew tied at 4. Alright come one Phils. Only 2 grand slams away from a dramatic win.

155. william

July 24, 2009 at 9:58 pm

This is one of the teams we might have to face in the post season and I’m not putting Happ down I mean every pitcher has a bad night but having Halladay in the rotation would make me better about facing them

156. Jeff

July 24, 2009 at 9:59 pm

is it over Manny? Come on say it baby.

157. NJ

July 24, 2009 at 10:00 pm

I want Halladay as much as anyone but he aint gonn help you when you get shut out…

158. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 10:00 pm

well at least we scored

159. Terri

July 24, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Well at least we scored a run!

160. william

July 24, 2009 at 10:01 pm

O.K Halladay AND a offense that shows up how about that combo

161. NJ

July 24, 2009 at 10:02 pm

would be a lot nicer if we could drive someone in before games out

162. mikeB

July 24, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Feliz looks like he needs to stop fielding slow infield grounders barehanded. Needs to field the ball with his glove which at least would give him the chance to try to throw the batter/runner out. Botching the ball barehanded does not afford a throw.

163. pn

July 24, 2009 at 10:03 pm

ruiz ruined the inning with the DP

164. NJ

July 24, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Funny thing is when the offense shows up Sidney Ponson could probably nab the win…

What a funny thing it is being a Phils fan

165. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 10:04 pm

next inning

Victorino single, Utley double, Howard HR, PH walk, Werth double, Feliz single, Ruiz walk, Stairs HR

166. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 10:04 pm

yup NJ my point exactly no guarentees and this team is so streaky!

Halladay is going to be 12-8 here with an era of 2.45 era cause we can’t score some nights

167. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 10:05 pm

I hope at least

168. Jeff

July 24, 2009 at 10:07 pm

FROM FOX SPORTS NEWS…..

The Blue Jays and Phillies have made progress toward a deal that would send ace Roy Halladay to Philadelphia, major league sources told FOXSports.com.

Halladay has a no-trade clause, but sources said he would approve a trade to the defending World Series champions.

In conversations between the Phillies and Blue Jays, the sources said, Philadelphia officials have indicated a willingness to include one or more of their best prospects in the deal. Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro hasn’t ruled out any player in the talks, raising the possibility that right-hander Kyle Drabek might ultimately be included.

A deal is not imminent, as evidenced by the fact that Halladay made his start against the Tampa Bay Rays on Friday, as scheduled. But there were strong indications Friday that Toronto GM J.P. Ricciardi is talking more seriously with Philadelphia than any other team. Ricciardi declined comment when approached by reporters Friday afternoon.

The Dodgers and Rangers, who both have spoken with the Blue Jays about Halladay, didn’t have any contact with Ricciardi on Friday. The Yankees initially expressed interest, but Ricciardi has yet to engage them in talks.

One source did indicate that the Angels, who are very involved in the market for pitching, have improved their offer. But it’s doubtful that they could match a package from the Phillies if Amaro is willing to part with Drabek and at least one other premium player, such as left-hander J.A. Happ, or outfielders Dominic Brown or Michael Taylor.

There is a substantially smaller group of scouts in attendance for Halladay’s start Friday at Rogers Centre than were in Toronto on Sunday, when he pitched a complete game against Boston. Many scouts in town during the week — including those representing the Red Sox and Dodgers — have left.

The Phillies, though, still have a representative at the game. And by next week, they may have a new ace.

169. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 10:10 pm

blah blah

170. SDO

July 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Why did we call up a couple of scrub relievers? Worthless.

171. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm

why can’t we have 5 bloop hits in a row?

172. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm

man Utley has been ice cold for the last week

173. SDO

July 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm

did ibanez actually get hurt tonight, or was charlie being cautious?

174. repeat!

July 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm

The Ghost of the 1993 Phillies has returned in the form of the 2009 Phillies. Great off, very entertaining, hardly ever out of a game but not enough pitching(although 09 Phils have a better bp overall).This team has heart break city written all over it. If we lose in the playoffs or God Forbid get caught and passed by ATL because we didn’t get ROY we will be the joke of MLB. Remember the “almost move” to get Randy Johnson in 1993, I had almost forgotten about it until Kruk brought it up the other day. Maybe the “Joe Carter” moment never happens Will the Brass make the same mistake 2x? Boston, Yankees, Phillies? We are currently being held in the same regard as the other 2 ment even though we don’t spend as much. Pass on Holiday that goes away. Those 2 would have him already. Hallady should’ve been pitching for the Phils tonite. Think we win tonite with him? A wasted start.

175. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 10:25 pm

no, we don’t win tonight.

176. mikeB

July 24, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Yeh, Utley really has not played up to his billing lately. Makes you wonder if that surgically repaired hip gets sore from time to time and bothers him.

177. Whack8888

July 24, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Time to panic!! Trade Werth, Victorino, Drabek, Taylor, Howard, Utley and Feliz for Halladay!!!!

The Phillies WILL NOT WIN without HALLDADAY’1!!!?!>!>!>!!!!!

178. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 10:27 pm

noooooooooooooo Halladay isn’t worth all that 😉

179. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 10:32 pm

holliday 4/5 that will be the headline on every sportscenter tonight

180. Blue Jays mascot

July 24, 2009 at 10:33 pm

Blue Jays fan wants this trade to happen so I can watch Halladay win 3 World Series with the Phillies.

181. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 10:35 pm

repeat the problem is what happens if we get Roy and we don’t win it all and all those things happened

182. Keith

Rollins single, Victorino double, Utley HR, Howard HR, Dobbs HR, Werth HR

187. Keith

July 24, 2009 at 10:39 pm

blah :p

188. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 10:39 pm

nevermind forgot Jrol is up no luck with that

189. Jeff of NoVa

July 24, 2009 at 10:40 pm

well we tried

190. Jeff of NoVa.

July 24, 2009 at 10:41 pm

game over that was a sad game

191. repeat!

July 24, 2009 at 10:45 pm

We’ll never know obviously. To suggest otherwise is done simply out of frustration about tonite’s game or just plain stupidy. I worked at the Vet for 3 summers while in College. 1993, 1994 b4 strike 1995. It got to meet a lot of those players. Morand., Dutch, the Dude, Schilling among others. My job job was to vacuum the red carpet that ran around home plate and the warning track before the players came out for warm ups and batting practice. One day in 1994 I saw Curt Sch and I sad thanks for last season and go win in all this year. I also said I know watching from the dugout had to to have been really hard. He said all we needed was one more pitcher and we win that series in 6 games

192. repeat!