Commentary

Thanks on behalf of Shane

I just wanted to send a quick thank you to all the citizens of Phillies Nation that helped elect Shane Victorino to his first All-Star game. The support was tremendous, the drama was intense, our computers are fried but the result made all the clicking and texting well worth it.

Just to put it in perspective, our operation sent over 50,000 emails to fans, tweeted constantly to our 3,000-plus followers on Twitter, pounded 6,000-plus friends on Facebook with messages, and made the case here on the site to over 20,000 pairs of eyes.

Personally, I am proud as a Phillies fan that our collective effort prevailed over the other four franchises involved. The Phillies have proven they are an elite ball club and fan base is no different. If you’re reading this now, you likely had an important role to play in this exercise in democracy. So thank you, you are awesome. Go Phils!

Click to comment

1. Brian of CO

July 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm

I could give a rats @$$ what other fans want to say, I believe we are the most loyal (and rowdy yes) passionate PHans in MLB. Really every Philly Sports team seeing how Im sure most of us follow multiple sports. I am very glad to VICTORino going to the All Star Game!

2. Philly in NYC

July 9, 2009 at 11:31 pm

When you think about it, the last spot kind of translates into the best fan base. Of course we are World F#*@ing Champions in that league too. Go Nation!!

3. Morris Buttermaker

July 9, 2009 at 11:57 pm

I would say I voted at least 500 times. So I am really relieved to find out it was worth it.

4. Mazinman

July 10, 2009 at 2:28 am

Shane has given us a lot of good memories so its the least we could do. I am very happy for the Flying Hawaiian.

Three Phillies starters in the All Star game will be awesome.

5. Pingback: » Phillies Beat Reds in Final, Take 3 of 4 in Series | Blogging-Baseball.com

6. Big Daddy

July 10, 2009 at 8:17 am

Brian, You and Phillies Nation are to be congratulated on a Fantastic job! Did you see the piece in Virgina on Comcast about Mayor Nutter going door-to-door with SHANE in South Philly getting people to vote? Down at the CBPark all visitors and staff had computers all week to vote for SHANE. Considerering Venezula (26million people)was voting for the Giants nominee, this was an an outpouring of fans at its greatest. Keep-up the great work. GO PHILS!

7. Chuck P

July 10, 2009 at 8:45 am

Yessirrrr!!!!! Gotta feel proud to be a Phillies Phan this morning… great job PN. The national media can say what they want, we are the greatest fan base in sports, bar none.

8. Mike Schmidt

July 10, 2009 at 12:00 pm

What a self-obsessed loser, ‘me-me-me – vote me on the team’.
    Not fit to be a Phil.
    Bounce him.

9. Darlene

July 10, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Brian, I voted for Shane. But the guy who voted above me doesn’t sound so thrilled with the comment: “Not fit to be a Phil”. I’d like to throw a baseball at him while singing the song…..Me, me, me, me….I bounced Mikeeeeee.