Phillies/Yankees World Series Predictions

Here are the predictions from the Phillies Nation crew:

Jason Bintliff:
My prediction is more of a feeling than it is scientific…

When the season started, I felt that the Phillies would make an earnest run at a title defense. I predicted early on, to my closest baseball confidant and best friend, that the Phillies would play the Yankees in the World Series, as we froze in section 303 during the on-deck series against the Rays. That was April 4th.

I also had a number in my head at the time and boldly proclaimed to him that the Phillies would repeat as champions. As we sat in the upper reaches of right-field, I said to him that the Phillies would again win it in five games.

Call it a premonition, call it bravado caused by winning a title the previous season, but those were my words. Perhaps it’s more than a coincidence that when our postseason ticket order form arrived, the game that we received for the World Series was game five.

Pat Gallen:
Many believe this series is one that is destined for seven games; one that will take its place amongst the finest in history. I think it goes one less.

I’m taking the Phillies in six. Last season, I privately believed the Phillies would lose to the Dodgers, and then again to the Rays. I was wrong, and it will be a long time before I count this team out in any way, shape, or form. This team has a winning mentality that is unmatched in the history of this city. That says a lot.

The Yankees are no slouch, that much we know. However, they’ve done the repeating thing before and everyone in this town can feel it’s the Phillies time. It’s just their time. Celebrate safely together on Wednesday evening, November 4. See you at the Parade on Friday, November 6. Broad Street, here we come again.

Amanda Orr:
In 2007, I predicted that the Phillies would beat the Rockies in the NLDS. I haven’t made a playoff prediction since. It worked out in 2008, and so far in 2009, so why change that? Cliche? Superstition? You bet – but also take it as a favor. That’s what a fan does: stick with what is working. With that being said, I’ll be sitting in the same seat. I will make one exception: the series goes six games.

Nick “Beerman” Staskin:
I’m going with the Phillies in 6 games. The Phillies had New York’s number at the Bronx during Memorial Day weekend and should have swept had it not been for a falty backend of the bullpen that seems to have corked its leaks. Tie that in with the Phillies post-All Star Break home record and their 11-1 home record at The Bank during the last two postseasons and I see the Phillies stealing two in New York to take the series.

Brian Michael:
I’m going with Phillies in 5 – just like last year.  They proved already this season they can win in Yankee Stadium and will take 1 of 2 up there – probably Game 1 against C.C. Then the Phils will sweep the Yanks at home in Philly where they’ve been nasty in the playoffs over the past two seasons.  All the games will be close but high scoring, except when Lee pitches.  Parade’s on November 4th.

1. joedad

October 28, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Moses was wrong back in 1983 when he predicted fo-fo-fo. Instead the Sixers won it 5-fo-fo. Before the playoffs began, I predicted Phillies go fo-fo-fo. I think I will be off by one game myself.

Phillies sweep.

2. joe mama

October 28, 2009 at 3:09 pm

So in the Philly world, predictions aren’t about actual baseball analysis, just gut feelings.

3. Philly Texan

October 28, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Hard to predict a series with the teams this evenly matched.

I will say that Game 1 will be extra important. With both teams relying heavily on their aces (especially CC)….if the Phils can steal it tonight, that would be huge.

I’m too excited to think rationally about the series anymore.

All I can think is …. GO PHILS!!!!!

4. joedad

October 28, 2009 at 3:21 pm

joe mama, you are gonna find out who joe daddy is

5. The Beerman

October 28, 2009 at 3:48 pm

I’ll be JoeCousin

6. Keith

October 28, 2009 at 3:52 pm

go PHILLIES!!! 😀

October 28, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Phils in 5 BABY!!!!!
    I predict an easy win tonight.
    C.C. falls apart in 4th or 5th.
    Most think this is the hard one but I dont like Hamels chances.

8. Josh from NC

October 28, 2009 at 3:53 pm

umm i dint think the games in may determined how the games are gonna be in the world series, The Yankees were without Jorge and Molina and played with Kevin Cash. The playoffs comes down to starting pitching and bullpen and clearly the yankees are better then the phils in those catagories.

Yankees in 5, i mean the phils are good at home but the Yankees are ven better this postseason. PHI. 5-1 NYY 5-0. and the yanks got the whole Mo rivera factor

October 28, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Josh: we played with Eric Bruntlett! helloooooo

10. John from VA

October 28, 2009 at 3:57 pm

The Mo Rivera factor…will count IF the Yankees even get to him. Plus if they do, there’s no surefire fact that says he will shut it down. See Arizona Diamondbacks circa 2001. Also, ask the Dodgers how the Jon Broxton factor worked out for them.

11. Georgie

October 28, 2009 at 4:02 pm

I’m with Amanda, predicting backfired on me before, so I don’t go there anymore. I do think the Phils have an excellent chance to win, though.

joemama, I doubt statistical analysis would have Vic hitting a GS against CC last year, anything can happen now, it’s all up for grabs!

Oh, I’m sure you boys will enjoy the Phillies 3rd jersey:

12. yanksfan

October 28, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Hi, I am a Yankees fan. For all of those who officially made predictions of Phillies in 4 or 5, I love your confidence. Now. Could we please meet up so that we can actually place money on that bet???!!! PLEASE?!!!? ANYONE?!!? Anyone willing to put your money where your mouth is? E-mail me at Thank you.

13. Evan

October 28, 2009 at 4:04 pm

If both lineups perform as they have been, I think Pedro makes or breaks the series. I’m not pleased that Charlie picked him over Cole. Its not possible to predict a winner for this series, both teams are good enough to pull it out.

Tonight’s gonna be some good baseball!

14. Josh from NC

October 28, 2009 at 4:05 pm

I cant wait to see how pedro is playing in an actual hostile environment, and no, Dodger stadium at 3 PM is not hostile. Especially with 7 lefties in the line-up and the two righties (Jeet and Arod) arent so bad themselves.
    Brad Lidge was a complete fluke last year, and btw in may he had 2 blown saves against the yankees

15. PhanAttic Will

October 28, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Yea joe mama, they are about gut feelings, because last year when 95% of the “experts” picked the Rays to win based on “analysis”, the guts feelings prevailed.

16. joedad

October 28, 2009 at 4:08 pm

yanksfan is obviously a narc. Go to bodog or Delaware and bet legally.

17. Ari E-B

October 28, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Josh from NC: Mo only helps if the Yanks have the lead.

game 1 – Lee vs CC – Lee wins
    game 2 – AJ Burnett v Pedro – Phils lefties crush Burnett’s fastball into the short left field early and over. Phils win a high scoring game
    game 3 – Petite v Hamels – I have to give this one to the Yankees
    game 4 – Lee v CC again – repeat of game 1
    game 5 – repeat of game 2.

Phils in 5.

18. Steve from NY

October 28, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Full disclosure: I’m a Yankee fan. I’ve been following you guys for a few days now to get a Phillies blog perspective on the upcoming series. I’ve enjoyed your work.

Just a couple of comments though, and this reiterates what some people have already said.

1. You cannot make predictions on how this series will turn out based on what happened during a 3 game series in MAY. Too much has changed since then for both teams, and the postseason is so unpredictable, and often based on luck, that precedence means little. I learned this the hard way in 2007, when we owned Cleveland 6-0 during the regular season and were summarily dispatched in the ALDS 3-1. And it wasn’t particularly close.

2. John from VA’s comment, re: the Rivera factor. First of all, the question of whether or not the Yanks will get to him is moot – he will pitch in every game, unless it’s a blowout. Secondly, I’m not suggesting that he will be unhittable, but to draw comparisons with Broxton is simply laughable. Mo is the greatest postseason pitcher of all time.

Looking forward to a competitive series. Cheers.

19. U Gotta Believe

October 28, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Phillies in 7
    I am so sick of people not giving the Phillies any respect and the media building the Yankees to be an unstoppable force. A lot people are forgetting that the the Twins and Angels gave those series to the Yanks…they didn’t win it or earn it. So let’s see what they do with a team that isn’t going to give them anything…they will have to earn it. I could also see the Phillies ending it in 5 like Rollins said.

Peace out, we got one more step and we’re gonna get it!
    Kick those bums to the curb and don’t worry A Rod the Phillies will take good care of Kate for ya! LOL

20. Mark B

October 28, 2009 at 4:26 pm

“The waiting is the hardest part.”

That said, Phils in 6.

21. joedad

October 28, 2009 at 4:32 pm

What are we drinking tonight, fellas?

October 28, 2009 at 4:35 pm

U GOTTA …… I agree the Phillies have looked much more impressive this post season. Only one loss seemed legitimate.

I get it….. its the Yankees but the Phillies are reigning CHAMPS.

Phils get no respect.

23. Good Night Joe Carter

October 28, 2009 at 4:37 pm

If the Phillies can beat CC tonight, as they did last year, the whole Yankees 3-man rotation house of cards strategy crumbles.

24. John from VA

October 28, 2009 at 4:39 pm

What’s laughable about a 99 mph fastball? Rivera is good, for sure, and is certainly a great factor to have. That being said, he’s not superman, and can be beat. Again, I’ll use the Arizona Diamondbacks of 2001 as an example. Care to refute that one?

25. The Original Chuck P

October 28, 2009 at 4:43 pm

The only players remaining from the last time the Yankees actually won a World Series: Rivera, Jeter, Pettitte and Posada… at 8 PM tonight, the big lights get brighter and the pressure to win gets more intense for the guys in pinstripes. On one hand, the Phillies have to be a little nervous, after all, in a sense, they’re playing the dead guys, too… guys like Ruth and Gehrig that have created the aura of the Yankee pinstripes. On the other hand, the ghosts of more recent failures past will be out in full force… reminders will be everywhere… guys like George Steinbrenner andJoe Torre will undoubtedly make their presence known.

Can A-Rod handle the pressure? Will Cano come through when they need him? CC, Burnett, Hughes, Joba… welcome to Philadelphia, the city that boasts the defending World Champions.

Phillies sweep… I have tickets to game 4. I’ve said this before, I’m a good luck charm. Was there for the NL clinchers in 08 and 09 as well as game 5 of the World Series in 2008. My postseason tickets say game 4 so that’s what it will be… my baseball brain doesn’t really believe that but it’s destined to happen.

October 28, 2009 at 4:45 pm

The Phillies have taken many a closer out of there game.

27. joedad

October 28, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Story lines before they happen:

Myers is the surprise leadoff hitter and draws a walk and is replaced as a pinch runner by Rollins. Sabathia sweats profusely all over the field and the game is delayed die to sweat.

Sabathia develops an eating disorder and cannot throw the ball hard enough to break his gravitational pull.

Victorino hits the ball so hard that it hits the New York Post writer square in the nuts deep in the left field seats.

Joba is shown in the bullpen wearing big boy underwear and is allowed to stay up late but only if he is a good boy.

October 28, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Joe Dad…… That sounds feasible. LOL

29. The Beerman

October 28, 2009 at 4:58 pm

LMAO joedad….Phils fan or not, this series should be good. I’d be really surprised if more than one game was decided by more then 3 runs. One thing I will say is diehard Yankees fans are very smart baseball fans for the most part. They are one of the few other teams fans that can actually hold their own in a baseball discussion, argument, etc. I’m looking forward to a weeks worth of good talk/leadup to every game.

30. Steve from NY

October 28, 2009 at 4:59 pm

John from VA,
    Never said he was superman, and he certainly can be beat. I was just saying that a) the Yankees will use him in every game that isn’t a blowout, lead or not, and b) that he cannot be compared to Jon Broxton in postseason performance. There’s nothing laughable about a 99mph fastball, but what is laughable is comparing the Dodgers’ relatively inexperienced 25 year old closer with Mariano, who, once again, is by the numbers the greatest postseason pitcher of all time.

There’s no need to “refute” your example of the 2001 WS, since I agree with you that he’s, of course, beatable. But while we’re at it, just want to point out that that game was only one of 3 times in 84 postseason appearances where Rivera blew a save by allowing runners he put on base to score. That’s dominance, but yes, it certainly doesn’t make him unbeatable.

October 28, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Tearing down the “House that Roth built” may have been a big mistake.

32. Keith

October 28, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Rollins, Victorino, Utley, Howard, Werth, Ibanez, Francisco, Feliz, Ruiz

Jeter, Damon, Teixeira, A-Rod, Posada, Matsui, Cano, Swisher, Cabrera

33. shag beta sigma delta

October 28, 2009 at 5:34 pm

matching up the line ups like that my two cents is 3 for the Phillies, 2 for Yankees, and 4 pushes, purely offensively that is, not taking defense into account. Utley vs Tex, tough call, Posads vs Wreth push, Matsui vs Ibenez push. A-Rod vs Howard push Jeter over JRoll, Vic over Damon, Cano over Fransico Peter Happy over Swisher, Ruiz over Carera.
    But I am really just showing my bias a little. But even if you give the Yankees Tex over Utley, it is 3 3 3.

October 28, 2009 at 5:54 pm

I would’ve preferred Francisco batting after Chooch… but in Charlie we trust!

35. mikeB

October 28, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Georgie, the Phillies 3rd jersey is awesome! Bound to get the WS off to a exciting start.

36. marilyn

October 28, 2009 at 9:49 pm

No one’s rooting for the Phillies more than the Mets fans!!!!!!!!!!! Can’t wait to see you again Pedro!!!!!!!

37. Bruce

October 29, 2009 at 1:10 am

It’s kind of funny to see a blog on “predictions” by all the “Phillies Nation” bloggers. Not one pick for the Yankees. Duh..(chuckles)

Bias aside, and after a great pitching performance by Lee in the first game, I’ll say the Phils in 7. The important keys are Hamels and the bullpen. Ultimately, pitching wins championships and we need Hamels to have a good one and the bullpen to shutdown the late innings heroics by a team that have had so many of them this season.

38. Mary Jo STUMPO

October 29, 2009 at 10:22 pm

I agree with Brian…Phillies will do it i 5 games
    Love that Chase too.

39. Mary Jo STUMPO

October 29, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Actually, I don’t care how many innings, JUST be tha CHANPS AGAIN.
    Mary Jo

40. Pingback: Phillies/Yankees World Series Predictions | Phillies Nation | Cheap Tickets News

41. phils rule