2009 Recaps

Phillies Beat Dodgers, Win NL Pennant!

PHILLIES WIN THE PENNANT!

This doesn’t get old!  For the first time in franchise history, the Phillies win back-to-back National League pennants.  The Phillies 10-4 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers sends them back to the World Series!

Andre Eithier’s solo home run put the Dodgers on the board in the first, but Jayson Werth’s three-run shot in the bottom of the inning changed the entire atmosphere.  Werth, who smacked two home runs, tipped his cap and raised his arms to the fired up crowd after a long standing ovation.  That was the attitude for the rest of the game.  The Phillies took a 3-1 lead and didn’t look back.  Even when the Dodgers loaded the bases with nobody out in the eighth inning, there was no one doubted that the Phillies would win.

It wasn’t a good homecoming for Vicente Padilla, who allowed six runs, while the Phillies continued to tack on runs after his departure.  Pedro Feliz and Shane Victorino each homered and Raul Ibanez added a RBI double.  Victorino caught the final out as Carlos Ruiz and Brad Lidge rejoiced on the pitcher’s mound with the rest of the team joining them.

Cole Hamels, who looked shaky in his 4.1 innings, handed over his NLCS MVP to Ryan Howard.  Howard certainly earned the honor – driving in a run in eight consecutive games (though it ended on Wednesday). Howard batted .333 with two home runs and eight RBI during the League Championship series.

Simply put, this series was amazing.  Cliff Lee’s eight inning shutout and Jimmy Rollins’ walk-off are two of the top highlights to be remembered from one of the best postseason series in franchise history.  Celebrate Philadelphia, but we still need four more wins!

1. Jocksniffer

October 22, 2009 at 1:01 am

Cot-damn… the more I see Pedro in pins, the more I love him.

BACK2BACK

2. Andrew

October 22, 2009 at 1:03 am

Amen. It’s just an honor and a privilege to be a fan of this team. Let’s all cherish this moment now, and get ready to watch the Phils REPEAT AS WORLD CHAMPIONS!

3. Andrew

October 22, 2009 at 1:06 am

2 in a row. time for a statue of the old man
    could see it on the players face after the game. 4 more wins gentlemen.
    Enjoy this but the task is not completed.

4. Philly Texan

October 22, 2009 at 1:07 am

NL CHAMPS AGAIN!

What can we say? I could get used to these celebrations.

Greatest Philly sports team I’ve ever seen. It’s amazing — now I expect good things to happen during the games now.

The poll on Philly.com says 75 percent want to play the Yankees. That’s right, philly fans, we’ve gotten so confident, we WANT the yankees.

Four more, boys.

I want to fly home again for another parade!!!

October 22, 2009 at 1:11 am

4 more wins!!!! I’m still thirsty!

6. Kansas Phan

October 22, 2009 at 1:12 am

I can’t help but think Harry the K is looking down on all this and smiling! Wonder if he had some “pull” on Monday night?! THAT was a thing of beauty!!

Wish I was back there joining in the celebration again! My cousin went to last year’s parade and said it was absolutely incredible! Would be SO fun to come back there for it…alas, I can’t this year, so they’ll just have to 3-PEAT!! 🙂

LET’S GO PHILS!!! WIN IT FOR HARRY!!!

7. Greg F.

October 22, 2009 at 1:16 am

This is the best Phillies baseball team I’ve seen in the 37 years I’ve been watching following this franchise. And I was at the Vet for game six in 1980. That was a good team – this one is better.

A showdown with the Yankees is inevitable. The Phitin’s are going to have to amp it up a notch, and we’re going to have to get some breaks along the way. But anyone who doesn’t believe this team can take down the evil empire hasn’t been watching. High Hopes! This one’s for you, Harry!

8. Dave

October 22, 2009 at 1:21 am

I guess the question is, who pitches for the Series?

I’d go with Lee, Martinez, Hamels, Blanton. Anyone else?

9. Philly Texan

October 22, 2009 at 1:26 am

Phil Sheridan writes in tomorrow’s column that these Phillies might be the greatest Philly team ever. In any sport:

I won’t argue. They’re the best I’ve ever seen.

I can’t think about the Series rotation tonight. We’ll have a week to debate that.

Right now I’m just savoring this.

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!

10. Grrrumpy Miner

October 22, 2009 at 1:33 am

Just finished watching the Clubhouse celebration on CBS3 and I paused for a moment and thought of the Amazins and what coulda been.I have reached the point where the Phillies are gonna be the top of the class for the next few years and I even see the Nationals bypassing the Amazins in 2010 and beyond.Good luck in the Fall Classic….ONLY 119 more days til Pitchers and Catchers.

11. Andrew

October 22, 2009 at 1:42 am

If hamels starts a game from here on its not good.
    As if the whole regular season wasnt enough. He is the only SP in the post season to suck so far.
    Lee Pedro Blanton happ

12. keng

October 22, 2009 at 1:44 am

cant help but feel great for ibanez – lee – martinez – love it when folks like that take a chance on coming to a town like philly instead of one of the bigger media centers like new york – la – even boston – and it really pays off!!

hate to hex them but the bull pen is starting to look stronger/more reliable – atleast park – durbin – eyre – lidge!!! – they will be so key in a long series against a team like new york – hope happ finds his place and gets some quality innings in before all this is over as well!!

offensively what more can u ask for from howard – may become the greatest we’ve ever seen here – especially if this newly developed ability to hit doubles and singles is a permanent thing – could start really giving pujois a run for his money – plus such a quality guy!! – what a hero!! – sure hope he gets his due here in philly!!!

13. Barry

October 22, 2009 at 1:50 am

As a Phillies fan since the early 1960s, I can tell you that this is indeed the best Phillies team I have ever seen! They excel in every aspect of the game — pitching, hitting, defense, running the bases — and I love their attitude towards playing the game.

We are quite fortunate to have so many great players on this team — Chase Utley has to be the smartest player in baseball and Ryan Howard probably the best offensive weapon in baseball. Many of Phillies are stepping up and playing better in the postseason than the regular season including Werth, Ruiz, Victorino.

Now, if they can only win back-to-back WS, that would be truly an amazing accomplishing for a Philly team.

LET GO PHILLIES!

14. keng

October 22, 2009 at 1:52 am

hamels needs to find himself before the series – we need him to be stronger than he’s been – come on cole baby!!!!

15. NJ

October 22, 2009 at 1:53 am

After 4 days in a hospital in London, England with barely a pitch seem to wake up from the first normal sleep and find our beloved Phils are back in the series is as good of a wake-up as there can be.

As the starting pitching stands it’s going to be a tough call since the weather could very well wipe Pedro from making anything more than a game 4 cross-your-fingers in that cold start. I think Cole can still give you some viable innings but if Lee can resume his dominance and maybe Happ be a logical start we have a fighting change at the repeat.

Presuming they wrap things up the Yankees were always going to be the toughest opponent to meet this year, for once I feel confident we can draw on whatever fire they bring.

Gonna be a hell of a series! GO PHILS!

16. Philly Texan

October 22, 2009 at 2:08 am

Great column by Tom Boswell in the Washington Post — praising the character of the Phils.

Boswell’s been covering baseball for decades. He’s old school. And he knows an old school baseball team that loves to play the game when he sees it.

It totally captures what this team and Charlie are about:

17. j reed

October 22, 2009 at 2:13 am

NJ – you were in a hospital…are you okay, Phillies winning aside. I hope you didn’t miss much.

18. Matt

October 22, 2009 at 2:24 am

Last year was great and all, but now I want a second one to solidify our standing in history. To shut up all the people who said we weren’t that good, we lucked out last year, we only played the Rays and they weren’t as good as the Sox (despite the Rays beating them), etc. I want to shut up all the critics, but then again, this is Philly and we know that won’t happen. I’m sure there will be some “but…” or some other excuse after we repeat. Let’s go Fightins!!!

19. j reed

October 22, 2009 at 2:26 am

Philly Texan – great article. I think it’s all part of his charm…people under estimate those they think are “fools”. It’ s the Kesyer Soze (usual suspects)

20. j reed

October 22, 2009 at 2:28 am

phiily texan – that’s the “keyser soze effect

21. Pat Gallen

October 22, 2009 at 2:32 am

Just want to say that I’m so proud to be able to represent this fan base by writing for a site as awesome as Phillies Nation. It’s times like this that I’ll never forget, and hopefully tomorrow, at some point, I’ll be able to put it all into words. Remember where you were when the won a second straight NL pennant, and hold on to those memories. Go Phils.

WFC’sx2.

22. Morris Buttermaker

October 22, 2009 at 2:49 am

Monday’s night game confirmed to me that this Phillies team is the best to ever represent Philadelphia in the 4 major sports and college. No doubt.

23. Padilla Flutilla

October 22, 2009 at 3:03 am

does anyone have a link to the 1210 radio call for the final out? I still haven’t heard it.

24. Stuart

October 22, 2009 at 3:19 am

Great win, great series. LETS GO YANKEES! only for tomorrow. I want them to have to deal with the same layoff, or close to it. so I am hoping they close it out tomorrow. For the pitching, Pedro, Lee, Blanton, Happ. My reasoning for Pedro game 1 is that CC is going to be the hardest to get a win off of. If we pitch Lee against Burnett then that is most likely a win for us. Pedro against CC gives us a chance to win. I dont know if I want to waste Lee against CC and maybe give lee a loss cause we cant produce runs off CC. And I honestly think Pedro, game one of the world series, in yankees stadium. He will be ready. So I would go Pedro first, then Lee.

25. NJ

October 22, 2009 at 3:36 am

j reed- missed the whole bloody thing since the Dodgers stole game 2… All I can say is truely what makes baseball in a league of its own is in 5 minutes you can get a idea of how the game was played just from the boxscore and play-by-play. When you can barely make sense of a computer screen that’s just a godsend.

Am just so pumped no matter what happens from here this front office, coaching crew and players have created what will endure as a legacy for the franchise. 3 straight division titles, 2 straight pennants, 2 MVPs, a world series mvp and fingers crossed another ROY to add to the list.

Obviously Howard, Werth and Lee have been on another level but I wanna give props to Brad Lidge. The bullpen has looked as shakey as the insiders bleated on about but so much has to be said for Lidge after the season he’s had, to have adapted to a more limitied role when he knows all eyes will scrutinise every base hit or walk and just focus on making outs is a hell of an achievement. It was barely a fortnight ago we couldn’t fathom the idea of handing the ball over the Lidge in a world series game, fresh slate now for real.

(After the calamity that is trying to get universal healthcare in the US I finally appreciate for all the UK’s faults how invaluable the NHS free healthcare is, you can go to a hospital at 2 in the morning and the doctors practise at 9 and all you’ll have to pay is for your pescriptions at a flatrate fee of about $13…)

26. pat

October 22, 2009 at 4:54 am

the phillies r national league champs agaaaiiin,yes,yes,yes we want a-rod and the rest of the millionaires. letssee if fun and love of the game can beat bizzness. the phillies have to talk to the E-A-G-L-E-S.show them how to WIN

27. Craig

October 22, 2009 at 6:07 am

Nice of ‘bad’ Vicente to show up last night.

Is it me or did the Dodgers start throwing deliberately inside once the game had gotten away from them?

Baseball Tonight was a disgrace. Phils clinch the NL pennant and all they could talk about was a world series agains the Yankees. Yankees, Yankees, Yankess….you’ll be sick of those words by the time next Wednesday rolls round – even if we’re playing the Angels –

Nice to see Brad Lidge post a 0.00 era in post season play.

28. mikeB

October 22, 2009 at 6:24 am

MLB channel is doing a much better job high-lighting the Phillies victory.

29. bfo_33

October 22, 2009 at 7:00 am

Only comp for best Phila sports team ever is the 73-76 Flyers. Very similar in a lot of ways – home grown talent with few key acquistions, gutsy play, very likable guys. When the Phils beat the Yanks (in 6), they’ll be my all time favorite (mainly because I like baseball better than hockey). I think this is shaping up to be an all time great series, really looking forward to it.
    I’d love to see Happ as the game three starter, but know he has too much value in the bullpen. Hamels on a short leash, most likely. I wonder if Myers will make the roster – he may come in handy for Jeter and A-Rod.

30. Ed R.

October 22, 2009 at 7:12 am

Personally I do not think that Hamels deserves to be in the rotation at all. But who do you substitute him with? Happ? He hasn’t exactly been lighting it up in the post season either. Truth is, we have to stick with Hamels.

And you know what? For the first time in a long time? I am ok with allowing something that seems so wrong in my gut to happen for one reason and one reason only. Charlie. I cursed the man for allowing Lidge to continue as the closer down the stretch but as it stands right now, Charlie is the smartest guy in the room. He may not be the greatest strategist of all time but he might be one of the best baseball minds of all time. He recognizes things in players that people like us would never see. We all can see what a guy does on the field but what makes them tick? What drives and motivates them? How will they react? Things that we can’t possibly know, Charlie does. And he works accordingly and as a result. Brad Lidge leads the playoffs in saves and has not been scored upon yet. (I hope to God I didn’t just jinx him)

World Series rotation will be:

Lee, Pedro, Hamels and Blanton. I believe Brian said the same thing a little bit ago.

Here is the bigger question…who is your DH? Stairs vs Burnett and Frisco vs Sabathia and Pettitte?

31. christopher

October 22, 2009 at 7:55 am

watching Charlie actually out there and celebrating for a change was tremendous. between that and hearing Dave Montgomery talk about his long-term plan that has finally come to fruition with this franchise, it was pretty emotional stuff. when he said to Rick Bo “we knew we’d have some dark days, that we needed to build around some young guys instead, guys like you…” as rollins comes up behind them… it was just surreal. as the guys on TBS pointed out, this team IS homegrown and so much better for it. every year they bring another piece of the puzzle in, but make no mistake that the foundation is built around kids from the organization or players who were stolen by Phils’ GMs young in their careers.

kudos to them for building this team the right way, for making necessary moves that might not have been popular at the time to make room for the new guard (thome, abreu), for building one of the best ballparks in baseball with the faith that this team would become good enough to pack it all season long. this is the type of organization that makes you feel proud to call baseball America’s pastime.

GO PHILLIES!!

32. bfo_33

October 22, 2009 at 8:12 am

Ed R. – Hard to believe the turnaround, but I do trust Charlie. He really knows who is up to the challenge. I think Stairs will DH against Burnett (Rol, Vic, Ut, How, Werth, Ib, Stairs, Ruiz, Dobbs/Pedro), and also agree with Frisco, but think Ib will DH and Frisco play the field for at least a few of the games (not faulting Ib, who has been solid in the field but more to give the old guy a break). I also think Dobbs get at least one start at third, probably game 5, Pedro M. allows more grounders to 3rd than Lee. WFC2!

33. Scotty

October 22, 2009 at 8:15 am

Man, I needed that. Classic depression/recession era heroism. All I can say is “thank you” to the greatest Philly sports team ever. Watching the guys look up at Charlie like hard-working sons as he spoke to the crowd? Goose bumps, y’all.

FOUR MORE.

34. Keith E

October 22, 2009 at 8:37 am

Congratulations to the Phils. Watching Charlie after the game last night and he seems truly in love with this team and they love him. I keep going over the WS in my head and my brain can’t picture any team beating us in a 7 game series.
    GO PHILS!!!

35. Keith E

October 22, 2009 at 8:41 am

quick question:
    What’s with all the empty, shrouded seats down the left field line?

36. Geoff

October 22, 2009 at 8:51 am

It does sorta remind me of that…

Nice, I expected them to get back to the World Series and at least have the chance to defend their crown one on one. Excellent wotk. Jayson Werth has become the number 2 threat to watch out for now, he has finally beec recognized on the big stage as a clutch performer. You cant get away with walking Howard anymore now that Werth is there and has emerged as a prime time superstar. And for Ryan Howard to be sharing records with Lou Gherig is awesome.

This team is ready for the Yankees. The lineup is fine and not to be tinkered with again. As for the starters, with the first two games in NY, Id go:

Gm1: Cliff Lee (duh)
    Gm2: Pedro Martinez (DH in Al Park)
    Gm3: Hamels
    Gm4: Blanton

Obviously, the DH against Burnett will likely be Matt Stairs. Against Sabathia and Pettite it will be Ben Francisco. Remember last year when we agonized over who the RH DH would be in the WS? At least this year we know.

37. SDO

October 22, 2009 at 9:05 am

How about Francisco in Left Field and Ibanez as the DH?

38. Diana

October 22, 2009 at 9:07 am

it definitely doesn’t get old! i feel like a little kid on christmas for the 2nd year in a row 🙂

it’s going to be a great WS (broad st vs broadway? bring on the yankees)!!

39. Chuck

October 22, 2009 at 9:38 am

SDO…I thought that, too….using Ibanez as a DH and Francisco in the field…..but I think that messing too much with the way things are right now isn’t the best idea.. Ibanez isn’t a bad fielder at all…… Guys that are used to playing the field appreciate being there to stay in the flow of the game.

40. The Original Chuck P

October 22, 2009 at 10:12 am

It is a lot of fun to root for these Phillies. Not only that, but it’s also a privilege to have these guys in our town. It’s a lot easier to convince your kids that hard work pays off when you have these guys around to show them the results of their determination… it’s going to be one heck of a party when we do it again!!

NJ- I’m sorry to hear that you were in the hospital. I hope everything is alright… it’s nice to have you back!

Philly Texan- GREAT article… I stole it for my facebook. Getting a little love from the national media.

I know that everyone wants the Yankees but I’m kind of hoping that the Angels still have some fight left in them. It would be nice if they could extend that series a little longer…

41. Bob Kahn

October 22, 2009 at 10:13 am

In post season they need expanded room for press. Of course, press leave their seats immediately after game so it looks strange at end of game.

42. Mostone

October 22, 2009 at 10:15 am

It’s been great posting with most of you this year and I look forward to the World Series! Go Phils! However, for everyone who was here in Sept. posting that the team sucked and that even if they made it into the post-season they wouldn’t be able to do anything, well suck it.

43. The Original Chuck P

October 22, 2009 at 10:35 am

I was there on Sunday… there was hardly anyone in those draped seats the entire game.

Agreed, Mostone… agreed. I can’t believe that Geoff is still posting on here… if I had made as many stupid (and flat out wrong) comments as you, I would at least change my name. Do you really think that anyone’s going to listen to what you have to say anymore? That post was good but I could probably go back and find a dozen of your posts bashing Howard, Manuel, Werth, Lidge… should I continue? I could probably find a handful of posts claiming that Phillies couldn’t win in the postseason (becuase there was absolutely no way that they could beat the Giants/Cardinals or Dodgers). AND don’t even get me started on the game day posts… So yes, I agree with Mostone on this one; suck it.

44. Ben

October 22, 2009 at 10:40 am

interesting comment by kruk last night. the yanks may throw lefties in NY to keep stairs out of the dh (i don’t think they would, but they might). if they do, then burnett would pitch game 3 in philly. as you know posada doesn’t catch burnett and matsui is the dh. the yanks would then lose their 5 and 6 hitters if that were to happen. talk about a different line up.

i agree, but ben fran out there and have ibanez dh. ibanez is a professional and should be able to handle coming in just to hit in those games. if he really thinks its an issue don’t do it, but i’d be surprised if it is.

45. Ben

October 22, 2009 at 10:44 am

on other thought. hamels didn’t pitch terribly, he just didn’t put guys away with two strikes. he’s down a few mph on his fastball, and i really think thats the issue. guys are able to get around and foul it off b/c the difference between that and the change is not as big now.

the homeruns were not down the middle, they were all decent pitches and all with two strikes. he just has to get his mojo back to put guys away.

46. Chuck

October 22, 2009 at 11:27 am

Anybody know the rules here??…If Ben Fran were to DH, he can be moved to a position later in the game…right? If so…then start Raul in the field (so that he’s in the flow of the game and still have the ability to use Francisco for defense later……

I’m just not convinced that Using Raul as the DH from the start is such a good idea. I don’t know….

____

Hamels just isn’t totally mentally there this season….and I don’t see that just magically happening in the WS. Yeah…he wasn’t terrible…but 3 HRs??? And the first 2 were with 1-2 counts!! Waste a pitch there and make the batter chase…I guess you could call that not having his “mojo back to put guys away.”

_____

Great job by Durbin and Park. Durbin has really stepped it up this postseason. HUGE!!

47. The Original Chuck P

October 22, 2009 at 11:30 am

Hamels looked decent early… he gave up that early HR but besides that he wasn’t bad. He looked tired later in the game and his fastball velocity is definitely down. One has to wonder if a little extra rest would help him get back on track… moving him down in the rotation would accomplish that but you risk messing with his confidence. NY is hitter friendly… gotta have a guy on the mound that can keep the ball in the park. I’m not sure if Hamels is that guy. Lee starts game 1 without question…

I highly doubt that Girardi would make Burnett wait to pitch in game three… as much as he would like to keep Stairs out of the lineup, he won’t go that route.

48. Bruce

October 22, 2009 at 11:36 am

I’ll be the second (behind the other poster, Keith) to “congratulate” the Phillies on winning the NL Championship and a first in the history of the franchise to win it back to back. And as NLCS MVP, Ryan Howard and Charlie Manuel shouted to the delirious fans..”One more step”…we too as fans respond.. ONE MORE STEP!

49. Ed R.

October 22, 2009 at 11:41 am

Chuck…once the DH enters the game to play any position on the field then the team loses the use of the DH for the remainder of the game and the pitcher will now have to bat in whatever spot the DH was previously occupying.

50. Mazinman

October 22, 2009 at 11:45 am

I think the greatest sign of this team’s character to me came after the game where they were interviewing J Roll And Jamie Moyer came to playfully bother him during the interview. Here is a guy who had the disappointment of losing his starting pitcher job and unfortunately get injured to the point he was in a hospital just a short time ago and he was still in the dugout cheering this group on. In his face there was no resentment or anger, just pure happiness. Then J Roll, for his part, saying they wanted to make sure Moyer went out the right way if he ever decided to retire and showing his respect for the knowledge and experience his elder had. I think its this togetherness and support that makes this team unique.

As for the World Series, while the Yankees would make the best opponents for us (4 game sweep would be niiiiiiiiice!) I do hope the Angels come back and make the series interesting. We got to wait a week anyway might as well get some good baseball while we wait.

At this point I wonder if Charlie might not consider a three man rotation with Lee pitching games 1,4, and 7. Lee is, by far, our best pitcher right now and a workhorse. Our bullpen is starting to pitch well enough were we could reduce the number of pitches we allow Lee to have per game. I like the idea of Pedro pitching game 2 in New York because I think he will thrive there. This is his chance to erase Game 7 vs. the Yankees when he was with Boston and I think he will leap at it. Hamels can pitch game 3 in Philly. Keep his faaaaaar away from Yankees Stadium with all the home runs he has given up lately.

51. The Original Chuck P

October 22, 2009 at 11:46 am

To defend Hamels… the ball was JUMPING out of the park last night.

On any other night, Durbin’s performance would have been Ashburn worthy… can’t argue with 2HR.

52. SDO

October 22, 2009 at 11:49 am

The big difference between Hamels of 2008 and Hamels of 2009 is that the latter does not have the “finish ’em” pitch he once had. In last night’s game it was amazing how many times opposing batters would be down 1-2 and were able to foul off umpteen pitches left and right until they got a good pitch to smash. Obviously, something is still not right with Hamels.

53. Bruce

October 22, 2009 at 11:50 am

I consider Hamels as the only blemish in last night’s clincher. He’s been terrible in the post season with an ERA OVER seven. And I’m not making any excuses for him as a few here are doing. As one of the TBS announcers said, “Hamels is running out of time” in the post season to make the necessary adjustments. I dread the idea of having Hamels pitching in the World Series against a power laden team from NY that have the most HRs and best record in baseball.

54. dodger fan

October 22, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Congratulations again. I honestly thought that the Phils were more talented, but that the Dodgers could pull it out because of home field advantage, the way the pitching matchups came out, Lidge, and Manuel.

If it’s the Yankees, I’ll be rooting for the Phils. But if it’s the Angels, I’ll be rooting for Scoscia, Griffin, and Hatcher.

55. Ed R.

October 22, 2009 at 12:07 pm

With all due respect Hamels never had a finish em pitch. The difference is that he can’t locate his fastball and because he can not locate his fastball then batters are just sitting on his pitches and knowing that there are only two options. Fastball and change up. Which, now that his fastball has dipped in velocity, the disparity between the two pitches in terms of MPH is not what it was.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Hamels can absolutely dominate when things are going well but when they aren’t he falls apart like a deck of cards. This year has just been one bad dream for him. Because he can not put guys away then things constantly snow ball.

I think what makes it worse is that Hamels was so good last year in the playoffs that everyone expects that type of performance all the time. And maybe, just maybe that’s not who he is. Maybe the playoffs last year wasn’t him finally reaching his potential but rather an abirition. We all want Hamels to be an ace because he showed last year in the post season that he can be that. But maybe it’s not who he is. He has the potential and the talent to be an ace but to me, he is missing the mental toughness to be an ace. He had it in the playoffs because things were going well.

Clearly developing a pitch that he can throw lefties will help him greatly. Can developing that one pitch turn it all around for him and turn him into the perennial ace that we all wish him to be? Sure why the heck not. Stranger things have happened. I truly hope Hamels turns into what we all wish him to be. But for the purposes of this season, we have to understand that he is not the ace, not this year. And to expect him to just show up and be that guy is unrealistic. This year he is no better than a 3-4 starter. This year.

Come next year he could be that guy, and if he is. Team him up with Cliff Lee and we could be talking about something that makes this year an afterthought.

56. Ed R.

October 22, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Well thanks dodger fan. It’s big of you to come out here and offer up a congrats. Better luck next year.

57. Morris Buttermaker

October 22, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Hamels wanted to get out of last night’s game early. He has another commercial to film this morning.

58. Adam Eaton

October 22, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Hey guys, if you don’t want Cole pitching, there’s always me!!!

59. Chuck

October 22, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Hamels was “decent”….That’s not good enough…to just be decent…..

OCP….fair point on the balls carrying last night….still….3HRs is a lot in 4 innings….thank goodness they were just solos.

Lee…game 1 I think Pedro Game 2. Hamels needs to be 3rd. It’s not gonna mess with his confidence any more than him not being the ace anymore.

_____

Ed R…..thanks for the clarification of the rules…I think I knew that and just didn’t remember how it was set up.

_____

dodger fan….nice post….Classy!! Thanks.

60. dodger fan

October 22, 2009 at 12:27 pm

My 2 cents. Going into the postseason, Lee, Happ, Blanton, and Pedro were your four best pitchers in order, and a very good front four at that. I don’t see how there’s any controversy there.

However, Happ can’t just come in all of a sudden and pitch in the WS. I’d be very concerned about the way Happ has been handled in the past three months, and how it affects him in the future. Maybe winning that unofficial ROY helps.

Since you can’t throw Happ out there, you have no choice but to stick with Hamels. And since you have no choice, give the guy some support.

On another note, any chance Jamie Moyer is coming back next season? Brian? Sigma? Dodgers sure missed him this year.

61. bob

October 22, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Key to a Repeat:

Cole Hamels. He will be well rested. His stuff looked good last night, his location was off. That’s not gonna fly against the Yankees or Angels.

Rotation I’d go with:
    Game 1: Lee (no brainer)
    Game 2: Happ (due to sucess against that lineup in June, Im assuming the Yankees come calling)
    Game 3: Hamels (get the home fans behind him, he can thrive off that)
    Game 4: Blanton (maybe Pedro depending on the use of Blanton in the pen, weather conditions).

Games 5-7, adjust and adapt as necessary.

It is truly an honor to be back in the World Series.

Side note: Does anyone think the Yankee fans traveling to CBP can negate our homefield in Games 3-5?

62. Chuck

October 22, 2009 at 12:33 pm

I think Happ has shown that he’s not a reliever….he seems much more comfortable as a starter. But do you just make him starter in the WS?? Not sure if you can do that now…

And we HAVE given Hamels some support…he has gotten more passes than a lot of guys would have gotten…largely because of what he did last year…and….his tremendous potential and talent..

63. JoePhil

October 22, 2009 at 12:33 pm

@ bob
    I thought about the issue of Yankee fans in our stadium as well…i would think that the bulk of the tickets are already owned by season ticket holders…the only issue would be the phillies fans who need the money….hopefully most will know better not to give them to yankee fans.
    The Yankee fans should also be asking themselves the same question about how many phils fans will make it up there too….

64. bob

October 22, 2009 at 12:40 pm

@Joe

I agree. Amtrak is gonna be pretty busy. I think it would be easier from some Yankee fans to get tickets here because it’s cheaper. I’m also guessing we have pockets of Yanks fans that live in the Philly area also.

Im curious to find out in Games 1 and 2…..

@Chuck

I was thinking although Hamels has stuggled it would probably benefit being at home, starting game 3 on extra rest rather than throwing a stuggling Hamels into Yankee Stadium for Game 2. My gut tells me Charlie goes with Cole in game 2.

We all know what Happ can do as a starter, he seemed to matchup well with those Yankee bats. I think it’s a risk that you need to consider.

Im sure that Charlie will do what’s best and Ill trust whatever he does…

65. bfo_33

October 22, 2009 at 12:47 pm

I think you need to go lefty-righty. Make their switch hitters switch sides, keep them out of the comfort zone. If the weather is decent, Pedro in game 2. He will not rattle. If not, go with Blanton game 2. Hammels in the home opener. Game 4 – whichever righty didn’t pitch yet, unless an elimination game, then go with Lee. Keep Happ for emergency relief.

The Yanks have a very balanced offense, can’t just throw a lefty out there and expect to win (Rocks and Dodgers had no right handed bats). On the other hand, if J-Roll and Vic can get on base, gotta run against all but Petite (still has a great pick-off move). I think both teams are real even, we’ve got speed on our side. Angels made too many mental mistakes, tried to outslug the Yanks.

Any Phils fan who has tix, can’t go to the game – keep the seats local! Give them to your lazy brother in law if you have to. There should be no blue in CBP except for the Yankees wives (and if they had any sense, they’d stay home also).

66. christopher

October 22, 2009 at 12:49 pm

i think had that been a normal game, hamels would have gone 6 and held them to 3 runs. but it was not a normal game, and charlie was not taking chances. either way though, cole dodn’t look bad up there, in fact i think he had his best location of the postseason so far.

67. Philly Texan

October 22, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Still savoring the glow from last night….

But I was looking at the Yankees roster this morning, and didn’t see a left-handed specialist out of the pen.

I know they’ve been using Hughes and Joba ahead of Rivera.

Do they have ANY nasty left-handers in the pen?

(Not counting Rivera, who I know is tough on lefties.)

That might be a problem against the Phils.

Are they really going to send a parade of right-handers against us in the 6th, 7th and 8th?

68. beta sigma shag

October 22, 2009 at 1:02 pm

First Repeat NL Champions feels great to say.
    Win or Lose this team has showed heart and talent in defending their crown. Living in Vermont I am surronded by Yankee and Red Sox fans, So Yankees as an opponent would make my life interesting up here.
    There is no way Charlie does not start Cole in Game 2 or 3, I would move him back to three so you can split up the lefties. If the series goes 7 there is only two days off, so to pitch Lee in 1 and 4 that would be short rest and I do not see that. Even Big Joe in game 2 is possible, or Pedro. Lee in games 1 and 5 if needed, and Hamels could even go 3 and 7 if he pitches well in game 3.
    Have tickets for game 5 and can only hope that the phillies can do in 5, it would be truly awesome to witness that.

69. scadole

October 22, 2009 at 1:04 pm

basking in the blanket of DOMINATION that the phillies have cast over the phanatics…. It sure is warm and cozy being a fan of the BEST team in baseball. Yes Sir, warm and cozy!

I am worried about cole hamels and his bad attitude. I hope it isn’t contagious. The phils don’t need anyone ruining their chemistry!

70. The Original Chuck P

October 22, 2009 at 1:18 pm

At one point last night, Hamels retired 10+ batters in a row… he was cruising… I honestly think that he’s tired. Hopefully, the week off will help.

71. bob

October 22, 2009 at 1:21 pm

@ Philly Texan

I know that they have Marte, who they got from the Pirates last year but Im not sure how much faith Giradi has in him

72. bob

October 22, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Left-Right starters for me do not matter much. You need to go with your best options. If that means Lee-Hamels or Lee-Happ so be it.

73. Phan in TN

October 22, 2009 at 1:29 pm

am watching last night’s game again but with the tbs announcers.

its sounds like “blah blah manny manny”

74. Richie

October 22, 2009 at 1:53 pm

It really is an honor to be able to call this team “our team”. They play with such heart it is amazing and I dont wanna be a downer or anything but they are a prime example why I can’t stand the eagles and never rooted for them once in the 27 years of my life. The Eagles fall short in the NFC championship game and in the offseason get rid of the heart and soul of their defense, hall of famer, and fan favorite Brian Dawkins and constantly try to hoodwink the fan base with lies and deception. The Phillies win the World Series and turn around and bring in Raul Ibanez and trade for the year before’s CY Young winner in Cliff LEe, all the while keeping the prime prospects to make sure we compete for years to come. Go Phils! I am so proud. Joe Banner…Andy Reid and Jeff Lurie are such Scum!

75. Jeff Dowder

October 22, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Back to back WS appearances is certainly something a lot of thought we’d never see in our lifetimes. It should be a great Series, with no doubts that the Phils & Yankees are the best teams from their leagues.

Meanwhile, T.J. Simers takes yet another shot at Philly fans in his latest column (at least he left the Phanatic out of it this time around). This time he calls us “drunken uglies”. Simers seems like a bitter & broken dude.

76. Chuck

October 22, 2009 at 2:02 pm

I agree….all you guys who are selling tickets…..make less money and KEEP THEM LOCAL!!! It’s understandable that there will be
    some Yankee fans here….and that adds to the “flavor and atmosphere.”….(as long as there are no fisticuffs)….but let’s keep it to a minimum…

I actually saw on Craigslist this morning than there were some Game 1 and 2 tickets that were actually CHEAPER than games 3, 4 and 5 here in Philly….right-field nosebleeds…but still…

77. Chuck

October 22, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Anybody else notice, either on radio/tv or at the ballpark, that last night’s crowd was VERY quiet at times??…I was there and I sensed a cautiousness at times that was almost spooky. Fans WANTED to cheer and party the whole time…but yet just couldn’t brings themselves to totally let loose….until the last inning..It was crazy…

Can’t believe I actually made it into work this morning….and am somewhat funtioning..I need sleep tonight but need to watch the Yankee game…hope they can close it out….and let all the talk start….

78. Don M

October 22, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Francisco in LF, with Ibanez as the DH is the smartest idea I’ve heard

why didn’t I think of that?) .. you have the better defender playing the entire game, and the better hitter focusing on only that..

I was thinking that Lee, then Blanton (or Happ) would be the NY starters

Hamels is really OFF .. Pedro would be pitching in an extremely hostile environment (Happ is great on the road.. Blanton has faced these guys before)

BUT.. I fully trust whatever decisions Cholly and Dubee decide. We’ve won 5 straight postseason series .. these guys know what they’re doing more than we do. Let’s not doubt their decisions anymore!

79. Georgie

October 22, 2009 at 2:33 pm

I noticed that too Chuck, at one point I actually yelled at the tv-“c’mon people, make some noise, wave those towels”. Meanwhile, I was covering my eyes at times and pacing around the house, so I’m not sure I would have been able to make noise there either, it really was nerve-wracking at times, no matter how much faith you have.

I did predict in April a Phillies/Yanks WS, so it looks like that’s what it probably will be. I grew up with a dad who despises the Yankees more than anything in the world. He has been cursing them since I was old enough to understand curse words, and that’s alot of not so subliminal messaging. And now that I’m old enough to understand why he hates them, I pretty much feel the same way about the franchise, buying whatever they think they need, no matter the cost, payroll well over $200M now, A-Roid, stadium catering to uber-wealthy patrons….YUCK!

This will be a tough series, should be a GREAT series, I am looking forward to this with nervous anticipation. If the Angels somehow pull it out, then that means they’re pretty freakin’ good too, so either way, we are in for some awesome baseball.

GO PHILLIES!!!!!!

80. Georgie

October 22, 2009 at 2:43 pm

I don’t know, do you really want to take Raul out of LF NOW? He’s really not that bad a fielder, they’re used to this OF of Raul, Vic, Werth, they work well together, I just don’t know…..

So if you start Raul in LF and Francisco as DH, and you want to move Fran out to left in later innings, you then forfeit your DH and your pitcher has to hit the rest of the game, am I understanding that correctly?

81. Richie

October 22, 2009 at 2:50 pm

That is right Georgie…

82. Jeff Dowder

October 22, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I was sitting in section 143 and the crowd seemed just fine. There wasn’t the explosion of sound like there was after Rollins’ hit Monday night, but that’s only because of the way the game played out.

83. Georgie

October 22, 2009 at 2:58 pm

That rule sucks.

84. Chuck

October 22, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Yeah…that’s the rule…I wasn’t totally clear on that either…

I don’t know….On paper, Raul as DH and Ben Fran as the fielder makes TOTAL sense…BUT…..this outfield clicks right now…I’m not sure you want to mess with that. I trust Charlie to weigh all his options and make a decision….and I don’t think we should second-guess that.

Georgie…there were times I was CLENCHING the towel…not waving it…It was a very tense environment….until the 9th inning..you just knew Lidge would be perfect…..no pressure of a one-run game…

85. The Original Chuck P

October 22, 2009 at 3:15 pm

The Yankees and Phillies are about as close as it gets… at the end of the day, our revived bullpen seemingly tips the scales in our favor… but unfortunately Hamels’ struggles tips them right back.

We are a faster team and we are better defensive team. They have better hitters on the ends and we have better hitters in the middle. Our 3-4 pitchers are better but they have decided to go with a 3 man rotation to negate that weakness which means their 1/2 pitchers can make a bigger impact. CC will match up against Lee, our #4 and our #2… at least one of them has to beat him, maybe two.

86. psujoe

October 22, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Team is simply awesome. To a man they just come through. Anyone else think Durbin’s stuff looked filthy? He’s really pulled it together down the stretch and in the post season.

As far as the rotation I’d go:
    1) Lee
    2) Blanton
    3) Pedro
    4) Hamels with a short leash for Happ

Definately put Francisco in LF, especially against Lefties. I might go Dobbs as DH against Righties. Not sure.

For those who haven’t seen or heard the GoodFellas video combined with JRolls winning hit. Check this out. Hysterical.

87. Chuck

October 22, 2009 at 3:40 pm

psujoe…..awesome video!! Thanks!!

Franske’s call HAS to be the single best play-by-play radio call I have ever heard.(No disrespect to Harry and the “2008 World Champions of Baseballlllllllll”).

_____

I don’t think you can go Hamels is Game 4…although I understand why you would say it. Starting him in #3 is probably enough of a demotion for him and his mental state..

DH situation….not our strength… Advantage: NYY

88. bob

October 22, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Ok here it goes:

*Note this could all change with a Yankee collapse*

Starting pitching: Even.

Lee=CC
    Hamels (the good one) is better than Burnett
    I’d give Petitte the edge over Blanton/Happ. Although either one is capable of holding their own.

Bullpen: edge Yanks (Rivera is simply the best closer ever), again we can hold our own with the latest version of Lidge and Madson has come back to form. Also Durbin and Park look good.

Offense: Even-great lineups on both sides.

Defense: Phillies, clearly in this one. Better arms, better fielders.

Bench: Yanks

Coaching: Phillies. Charlie has been here before…

Key to series: WE NEED TO SCORE RUNS. Their starters are hittable and we’ve had good sucess against CC. We will be the underdogs and it looks like we gotta hang on to win this thing. I believe in this team, everytime someone counts them out they rise up.

I’m gonna go Phillies in 6 (so far ive been right w/ Phillies in 4 and 5).

89. bob

October 22, 2009 at 3:46 pm

I’d assume that Ben Francisco is gonna be the DH? Not sure if they would use Stairs against Burnett??

90. The Original Chuck P

October 22, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Thinking of creative chants for the Yanks…

The classics…
    “You Took Steroids”
    “Sterrrroiiiiidddds”
    “Frraaaauuuuuuudd”

A little more creative… on the personal side
    “Like A Virgin”
    “Kat-ee Hudson”
    “Cynnnthiaaaa” (think Riiiicoooolaaaa)

A little more creative… obvious
    “You’re A Frauddd” (alternative: you’re a cheater)
    “Hall of Shamer”

91. Don M

October 22, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Bob.. since Francisco is the best defensive OF on the bench, and often replaces Ibanez anyway

and he’s probably the best hitter too..

Why not start him in LF and use Ibanez..

maybe with a tough Right-handed pitcher, start Ibanez, and maybe let Dobbs DH if we think he’ll have better at-bats than Francisco would?

92. bob

October 22, 2009 at 3:56 pm

@Don

Certainly an option there….curious to see how that plays out on Wednesday.

93. Pingback: Phillies, Green Man Return to World Series | MLB USA

94. CHRIS

October 22, 2009 at 4:03 pm

I think its really funny that most of these people werent here before last years NLDS(after the phils won last years first playoff series) let alone this april. You are all frontrunner fans. Your not there for the bad times but you all magically appear when they start winning. The phillies are a great team but honestly you fans suck. You only know about your team. And now the either the yanks and angels play the phillies. I keep hearing this argument and it gets me very angry. Jimmy Rollins Vs Derek Jeter(yankees shortstop). If you honestly believe that Jimmy Rollins is a better player that Derek jeter you should stop watching the great game of baseball. Almost every stat proves jeter is a better shortstop besides the feilding but Derek jeters feilding percentage is only a few . off. i just wanna hear why jimmy rollins is better

95. Chuck

October 22, 2009 at 4:05 pm

bob….

Alright…I’ll punch some holes in your analysis….not to be overly argumentative….just to get the debate going..

Starting pitching…I agree…EXCEPT that your making an assumption that Hamels (the good one) shows up….I’m not convinced that’s happening…soooo.. Advantage: NYY

I agree there as well…EXCEPT….I think there’s holes in Rivera’s armor…still…. Advantage: NYY…because of Rivera..

Offense….yeah…Even..

Defense….Advantage: PHI…(I think Chase is ok..)

Coaching/Manager…gotta go Phillies….Cholly!!

Yes…we’ve hit CC before…BUT….that was last year when he was overused and with a team that he knew he wouldn’t be with the next season.. He’s a different pitcher in the postseason now.. He’s not gonna choke like he did with Cleveland and Milwaukee.

Here’s the key…the intangible…HEART… Advantage:PHI

It’s gonna be tough. And fun. I hate to predict. But I say Phils in 6… If it goes 7 then I think the Yankees have the nod.

I hope the Yanks win tonight…Let it begin…

96. j reed

October 22, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Francisco is definitely more the more agile of the two but he doesn’t make the best decisions once he catches the ball and his throws are not only weak but off the mark.

I agree with Ed R. about Hamels. I would also like to add that a 4 seam fastball in the 88-90 mph just won’t do unless you have an arsenal of off speed pitches to keep batters guessing which Hamels lacks. If a batter is sitting on an 88 – 90 mph straight arrow 4 seamer you can locate all you want, but hitters like A-Rod, Vlad, Teixeria still have ample power to drive the ball hard esp. when they can adjust their swings because ball is a few ticks slower. If Hamels is too have any success he has to power up and throw harder. Also that second HR is on Ruiz for setting up low and inside on a left handed hitter in a 1-2 count…Low and inside is the wheel house for many a left handed batter. Hamels threw to the target. I think they were trying to establish the low inside FB to set up the change-up inside to left-handed batters because his normal change-up has become so ineffective against left handed batters. His curve ball looked good last night and could have worked on the left handed batters in place of a cutter or slider, both of which would be better but we’ll have to wait til next year to see anything like that. Otherwise just pump that FB up! Manuel worked his magic on Lidge, maybe he can do it for Hamels…in a week. Get Carlton for some slider lessons stat!

97. CHRIS

October 22, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Chuck…decent analysis but the yankees offensive is definitely better than the phillies because every major team statistic leans towards the yanks… runs, TB, HR, BA, H

98. Chuck

October 22, 2009 at 4:10 pm

That’s ok for DH….still….how much do you want to mess with the outfield?? And Ibanez is no stiff as a fielder either…at least there are some options..

but the bench and DH position….yeah…advantage Yankees.

99. CHRIS

October 22, 2009 at 4:12 pm

yeah its obviously going to be higher but the yankees is .283 whereas the philles is .258 but i have a question, not so much relating to the post season. Who do you think is a better player Derek Jeter or Jimmy rollins

100. Chuck

October 22, 2009 at 4:14 pm

The Yankees offense is DEFINITELY better than the Phillies…??” DEFINITELY??

That’s a pretty strong word for an offense (Phillies) that has Utley,Howard, Werth and Ibanez in the middle of it…and a real good 1-2 punch with J-Roll and Vic.

101. CHRIS

October 22, 2009 at 4:17 pm

sure but the yankees once again have every single team stat is higher than the phillies but obviously the yanks have a DH. the yankees offense was the best in the whole league and the phillies was the best in the Nl. But who is better
    Derek jeter or jimmy rollins

102. Chuck

October 22, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Derek Jeter is a great player….and I’ve always said that if the game, the season’s on the line…Derek Jeter would be one player that I would want at the plate in the 9th inning. But we’ve seen Rollins play that role, too.

Overall…and statistically…Jeter.

Right now….Rollins.

103. Jeff

October 22, 2009 at 4:46 pm

I would pitch Lee in games 1, 4, and 7. We have that break in the schedule. Then i would have Fransico playing left and dh ibanez.

104. joedad

October 22, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I’ve been a Phils fan since 1980 (8 years old). This is the best Phillies team I’ve seen. The 1980 and 83 team had some great, but standoffish stars like Schmidt and Carlton. They also has some characters like Tugger, Bowa and Rose in 1980 and Sarge in 1983. Neither team was as loved as a team as much as this one. Cholly is far more beloved than Dallas Green or Pope Owens.

Although the Yankees likely will win the series, the yankees didn’t clinch anything yet. It wasn’t all that long ago that they were up 3 to 0 in a series and they Yanked themselves real good. It is premature to talk Phils – Yankees let alone pitching matchups. The Yanks could Yank all over themselves again and may need to pitch Sabathia in game 7 with Burnett as a reliever.

Anyway, it doesnt matter who the Phils play. I think they win the World Series convincingly.

105. SpankMyYankee

October 22, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Listen to this tool coming on this board calling us front runners. I wonder where this little c*ckroach was hiding last year when the Yankees couldn’t even make it out of the regular season.

106. j reed

October 22, 2009 at 5:04 pm

I think you have to look at the way this line-up transformed over the post season…they went from struggling with RISP and undisciplined AB to .400 RISP in the post season and with the exception of Feliz looked like the Red Sox they way they worked counts….This line-up has arrived and as last night demonstrated we can go small ball and or devastate with you the long ball. What I’ve seen with the Yankees thus far are teams that have collapsed under the aura of NY in October. Many of those games were gift wrapped by other teams mistakes. They are formidable but we don’t cave…in fact the more you put our backs to the wall, keep making fun of our manager, and discount us the stronger we get.

107. j reed

October 22, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Chuck – who ever we play let them play for seven games….more chances for injury, wear downing…esp the yanks…they aint got youth on their side. I’m all for knowing asap because i wnat to crunch the numbers and debate as well but the more load on these pitchers the better i’d say.

108. Chris

October 22, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Spankmyyankee, i wasnt hidding i was watching every postseason game and im not even a yankee fan im a pittsburg pirates fan cause thats where im from. Obviously the phillies were a better team than the yanks last year but you probably just started following the phillies again in september when you found out they were good and had a chance to win it all… i probably know more of the phillies stats then you… but chuck why do you think that jimmy rollins is better know when jeter had a way better year than him.

109. SpankMyYankee

October 22, 2009 at 6:21 pm

okay, chris, you know us better than we do on this board. yes, we all started watching baseball last september just like you said. keep on hatin’ – we don’t blame you though; it’s hard to keep all of that pirates fan angst all bottled up.

110. SpankMyYankee

October 22, 2009 at 6:26 pm

By the way, how are all those blockbuster deadline trades working out for your team?

111. shag beta sigma delta

October 22, 2009 at 6:57 pm

That is so funny that someone posted that clip of Goodfellas, I was thinking of that scene when I was at the game Monday Night yelling “JIMMY!!!!!!” after his game winning hit. It was a crazy night in Philly, made the drive back to Vermont on Tuesday so much more enjoyable. Thank you Jimmy and all the phitin phils for a great two games.
    To be honest the Yankees scare me a little, they are on fire. I foresee some high scoring games like 6-4. I feel like Cliff can shut them down, but the bats will have to show up for the Phillies. It should be fun, and I think with only two days off in the WS it might be tough for a three man rotation that the Yankees want to use.
    My prediction is Phillies in 6, I hope it is 5 because I will be there for that one.
    GO PHILLIES BACK TO BACK NL CHAMPIONS

112. Georgie

October 22, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Love the Goodfellas video.

113. Chris

October 22, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Atleast i stick with my team obviously i dont support them getting rid of mclouth and last year getting rid of jason bay and xavier nady. Jack wilson was a pretty good play too. Pirates fans are with the team through bad an good times unlike philles fans. and if you know so much about baseball
    who is the best baseball player statistically.

114. A Detectible Met Horror

October 22, 2009 at 7:47 pm

You all sound like idiots. NY trolls go away stop raining on our sh*t god. This is a Phillies blog and you idiot punks are dumbfounded as to how confident everyone is and how much we love our team. Get a life.

115. SpankMyYankee

October 23, 2009 at 10:12 am

Chris, your question is rather poor in wording, just like the rest of what you are spewing on this blog. But I’m assuming you’re referring to Pujols, Mr. Baseball Genius?

116. Brian Sr. of CO

October 24, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Finally have internet access back, damn I was going through withdrawal not being on here. LOL. Well first, on behalf of everyone with a birthday of Oct 21st, I want to thank Chase Utley for blowing that game! What a great birthday present. I couldnt have re-written it better. Chase blow that game, one of the greatest 9th innings in Post season history was played on the day Brian Jr of CO was born, and they win the 2nd straight pennant on my birthday. SWEET. Well actually, what a great week! Now @Chris, just an FYI, as you are saying most of us have only been paying attention since September, but the Phillies did take the series against the Yankmees IN NY. also, I dont get it with New York fans coming onto a Philsdelphia blog, I dont get it. Either way, until the Yankees win the ALCS, the ONLY League Champions right now are the PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES (FYI, that BACK TO BACK for those NY Trolls.)