Posts

Phillies Lose, Clinch Home Field in the NLDS

In the Phillies most recent showing of Groundhog Day, the Phillies once again surrendered two first-inning runs, this time, at the hands of starter Cole Hamels.

In yet another unimpressive showing from the once strong starting pitching, Hamels lasted just three innings, giving up three runs in the loss. Hamels was not lifted from the contest due to fatigue, as he had thrown only 47 pitches. It’s likely manager Charlie Manuel opted to give Hamels a bit more rest, heading into the postseason. Although Hamels allowed only three hits, the Marlins did hit the ball hard, and were able to push across three runs off of the lefty. Hamels record dropped to 10-11, a losing record for the young ace who is less than a year removed from two postseason MVP awards.

The bullpen, getting plenty of work in this game, allowed only one run in six innings, off of a Dan Uggla R.B.I. double off of Ryan Madson. The four runs proved to be just too much for the Phillies to handle as they dropped their third straight.

Ryan Howard and Jayson Werth provided the offensive fireworks, each finishing with a long-ball in the game. For Howard, it was his 45th of the season. Jayson Werth’s shot extended his career best 36th bomb of the year and put him within one of 100 R.B.I.’s on the year.

Chase Utley was 0-2 before being pulled for Miguel Cairo in the fourth inning as a defensive substitution. So far Utley is hitless in this current homestand and is showing major signs of wearing down. A couple more days off should do him some good.

The Phillies clinched at least a number two seed when St. Louis lost to the Brewers earlier in the day. They will face either the Dodgers or the Rockies in the first-round.

1. JohnKruk

October 3, 2009 at 8:31 pm

In my hairy opinion, the Phillies are really lucky the Dodgers and Cards are playing nearly as poorly as they are…

2. Darren Daulton

October 3, 2009 at 8:48 pm

….space jams….

3. Jeff

October 3, 2009 at 9:18 pm

The Phillies will be out in the first round. There pitching sucks now. Lee is horrible. Good job not getting doc. Hamels is aweful. No pen. There offense is horrific.

4. jt

October 3, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Phils aren’t looking good heading into the playoffs the offense is in another one of their funks and the pitching sucks I’m not looking forward to cole anf cliff starts because both suck right now but at least we already clinched th divison and the #2 seed because we could be the dodgers or tigers.

5. PhxPhilly

October 3, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Scrubs playing tomorrow. Cairo SS, Francisco CF, Dobbs 3B, Stairs RF, Mayberry LF, Bruntlett 2B, Tracy 1B, Hoover C,
    I think I’d start Durbin or Kendrick then again have a bullpen tryout:
    Myers in the 9th, Walker, Bastardo (against some lefties mid inning), Escalona, maybe Condrey.
    Rest for Madson, Lidge, and Eyre.

6. jt

October 3, 2009 at 9:26 pm

*and

7. cas

October 3, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Excuse me for this, but I was an English major in college and I find some of these posts almost impossible to decipher. Jeff: “There” indicates location, like “The ball the Marlins hit is way out there in the outfield”. “There”, used to describe our horrible bullpen and offense, is “THEIR”.

8. joedad

October 3, 2009 at 9:31 pm

As Moses said, fo, fo, fo. Yall heard it here first bitches!

9. cas

October 3, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Oh, and if you want to indicate that the Phillies will be swept no matter who they play, you say “THEY’RE going to lose in 3 straight”.

10. Jamie

October 3, 2009 at 9:37 pm

cas, not to mention when someone claims someone stinks, “aweful” should be correctly spelled as “awful.”

11. jt

October 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Cas is some muts fan that’s got nothing else to bash the phillies about except their spelling…he can take his college degree and shove it up his ass.

12. joedad

October 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Fo fo fo

13. homer simpson

October 3, 2009 at 11:07 pm

I didn’t know they had the internet on computers now.

14. j reed

October 3, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Too add to the misery: the mets took Bazardo for 5 runs…..Hey at least were not Tigers fans who had too leave Comerica Park heads hanging low into the cool night air of fabulous Detroit after losing to the Chi Sox 5-1. Let’s see Michgan State gets beat by NC in Michigan, Red Wings lose to the Penguins, 1 win would be a successful season for your football team, you might just blow your chances at October glory to the Twins, and oh yeah, your city makes the cover Time and is depicted by an image of trash stewn street lined with the burnt out husks of houses. Oh, and it so friggin’ cold that pee freezes in your bladder if your outside for more than 2 minutes.
    Good News: del la Rosa for the rockies went down

15. j reed

October 3, 2009 at 11:24 pm

to start hit any key….hey where’s the any key

16. j reed

October 3, 2009 at 11:26 pm

How about Garret Attkins at 3rd….Is his contract up?

17. Jeff

October 3, 2009 at 11:36 pm

What school Cas? Burlington County College.

18. j reed

October 3, 2009 at 11:37 pm

groin pull on del la rosa

19. joedad

October 3, 2009 at 11:56 pm

beef and beer done, rockies chances done?

20. george55

October 4, 2009 at 12:17 am

AHHHHHHH,….Now i see…the phillies are losing on purpose so they DON’T get home field advantage. They have the best road record and they don’t like playing in front of their fans in pressure situations. They would much rather play on the road and take two or split and then come back to the bank and clinch in front of their fans. Brilliant!
    Nobody plays this bad unless there is a reason and i just told you why.
    The defending WS and division champ phils are just not this bad. It’s not possible – with their pitching talent and prolific offense, there is no way they are this lousy without a purpose in mind.
    It doesn’t matter, they will be out in 3. Too easy to call this one. Reality is , they are this lousy because they have no initiative, momentum. Content with the one ring. So be it. It’s someone else’s turn to get the ring. They have to be one of the poorest defenders of a WS championship in the history of the sport. They ought to gut this whole team and start over.

21. j reed

October 4, 2009 at 12:20 am

la 0, rox 0…top of the 7th. Kershaw dealing tonight. Del la Rosa went down with a groin pull….Mixed blessing…probably means Marquis will join the starting rotation that might mean 2 GB pitchers since Cook is back. You lnow how me make sinkerballers look like Sandy Koufax.

22. j reed

October 4, 2009 at 12:29 am

poorest defenders…the white sox failed to make the post season after they won in 2005.

23. j reed

October 4, 2009 at 12:36 am

la up 2-0 bottom of the 7th

24. george

October 4, 2009 at 1:11 am

looks like it’s gonna be rockies vs. phils not looking forward to them with the way the phils are playing.

25. Harry Kalas

October 4, 2009 at 3:14 am

F*ck the Rockies…And any wanna be douche bag English Major that comes on here says “Excuse me, but… “Cas”…. Our 3 lefties will shut down the Rockies. Phillies in 3-4 games… I’d sit Happ tomm(why take a chance) Let him throw on the side. Someone mentioned earlier that Happ should start game 1. I like it. He brings a calming presense to the team. But he’ll be even better for Game 3 on the road. LHP Kershaw: 6inn, 3 hits, 0 runs and 10k’s… Enough said… Game 1. Lee Game 2. Cole Game 3. Happ…. We might even sweep those f*ckos…

October 4, 2009 at 3:47 am

This team will turn it on….

27. Jeff Dowder

October 4, 2009 at 7:25 am

I love the Phillies as much as the next guy, but I don’t think they’re going to beat the Rockies. I hope I’m wrong.

28. JohnKruksLoveChild

October 4, 2009 at 9:06 am

Repeating is tough, regardless of the team. As Wheel’s likes to say, baseball is built to make you fail. Honestly it’s a treat they made the post season again, because anything can happen in the playoffs.

I hope they blow it so all the band wagon doom prognositcators can take a hike. OK, well I don’t really mean that, but to some extent I do. If they made it to the series again, that would be amazing. Do people actually watch baseball or just smoke crack and expect championships to rain down like candy ?

This is the best goddamn baseball this town has seen in a very long time, cause 93 might as well have been a fluke. Soak it up while it lasts and stop heaping insane expecatations up like cordwood.

Just having a shot is enough.

29. Ed R.

October 4, 2009 at 9:08 am

Well, looks like its time to Tap the Rockies.

30. karen

October 4, 2009 at 9:11 am

Well, Lee pitched a great game in august against the rockies. Happ pitched an awesome game in that series too. Unfortunately I am thinking that Hamels will go in game 2 and unless he does something, he may lose

31. Robert Kofsky

October 4, 2009 at 9:51 am

Is everyone afraid to ask the question……..How is Chase’s hip?

32. Robert Kofsky

October 4, 2009 at 10:03 am

Yes, Karen you are correct……based on history and performace….here is what I would like to see.

Game 1: Lee
    Game 2: Hamels
    Game 3: Happ

I love Blanton, but you can’t argue Happ’s over 11 scoreless innings against the Rockies!

33. joedad

October 4, 2009 at 10:15 am

Well said Kruk. This team is the best Phils team since the late 70’s early 80’s and they have a chance to be better than them. I still think this team is the team to beat in the NL. They want to repeat and I expect them to go for it. Anyone who thinks they don’t want it or have no heart is a complete and utter moron who have no understanding of how difficult it is to win a division after winning the World Series. Everyone is gunning for you. Not only did they win the division but there was never a doubt for much of the season.

Enjoy it while you can you spoiled rotten bitchy fans because great teams like this don’t fall out of your fat asses.

34. Prince Chappelle

October 4, 2009 at 10:21 am

Phillies Nation….Would you like some pancakes??

35. Michael

October 4, 2009 at 10:31 am

J.A Happ deserves to be our 4th starter. Pedro has not pitched against the Rox this year and Happ pitched a CG against em on the 5th. Pedro could seriously be a great fit for the pen, now that J.C , Moyer, and our beloved, Chan Ho Park are all injured and possible done for the year. happ knows how to handle the 2009 Rockies, Pedro doesnt. Also, it was great to see brad “Lights On” Lidge pitch a 1-2-3 inning and I felt a sigh of relief. Although Brad may be the Cy Yuck of the year according to Jayson Stark, I feel he will be our closer for the post-season, and i cannot argue with that.

36. Harry Kalas

October 4, 2009 at 10:49 am

Charlie has already said that the matchup would determine the rotation. Happ will be no lower than #3 against the Rockies…

37. ed

October 4, 2009 at 10:49 am

Phillies are gonna beat the rox, everyone stop jumping off the wagon. This team showed you how they played when they clinched because they were inspired to. You have to beat the champs to be the champs.

38. terrythetroll

October 4, 2009 at 11:12 am

What a terrific year for NY sports teams. Jets and Giants 3-0 ha ha They will play in the super bowl. and the yankees will win the world series.ha ha ha ha. also the Mets can finish the season strong with a sweep today. ha ha ha ha ha. The Mets would have played the Yankees in the world series if it wasn’t for devestating injuries.

39. Georgie

October 4, 2009 at 11:45 am

terry, thanks for making me fall off of my chair laughing-“Mets can finish the season strong”-that’s awesome for you, hold on to that thought while you’re watching the playoffs.

40. Harry Kalas

October 4, 2009 at 11:45 am

Which step of your Joe Namath AA program is this Terry? Communicate with the outside world? Or provide completely useless info to a City that doesn’t give a phat f*ck about you? You sound bored and looking for some time to kill before the Jets play at 4pm. When was the last time you went down on HiliaryClinton? She’d be begging for you to hop on Air Force One…One last time.. You know Bill Clinton won’t do it…. He’s black…..

41. Georgie

October 4, 2009 at 11:47 am

Bill DOES have alot of soul…

42. LH

October 4, 2009 at 11:55 am

My rating on the NL Division series:
    +1 Rockies Phillies hitting is flat and Rockies hitting is hot. Not rated higher since the Phillies can awaken their bats at anytime.

+2 Phillies Rockies do not hit well against lefties and the Phillies are heavy with left handed starters in Hamels, Lee & Happ. Crucial starter pitching deserves a higher mark.

+1 Phillies Rockies best pitcher Jorge De La Rosa is probably out for the series with yesterday’s groin injury based on his previous length of time for recovery.

+1 Rockies Phillies lack of lefties in the bullpen, (Scott Eyre (rusty), Sergio Escalona (AA pitcher), & ugh Taschner) and the ongoing closer question mark.

Total +1 advantage to the Phillies but the series will be a tight one.

43. Harry Kalas

October 4, 2009 at 11:58 am

THE SOOOOOUUUUUL….. TRAIN! Phillies….Phillieeees. The fight’n Phils!The Phillies are in the series……. And were we go!

44. Harry Kalas

October 4, 2009 at 12:03 pm

And here we go….

45. Harry Kalas

October 4, 2009 at 12:12 pm

LH….Sorry buddy, but you’re dead wrong… Phillies with the surprising sweep… Never under estimate the heart of a Champion….

46. LH

October 4, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Harry K like your heart and I hope they do sweep, but the Rockies are good opponent

47. j reed

October 4, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I was already prepared for the bull pen mess, but not for the paltry pitching by the starters…They’re stuff looks flat and has no movement. As a result they look like they are trying to paint and not pitch. And Hamels curveball was coming along so well and he all but abandoned it. He threw a few yesterday that we so bad and Lee touts a two seamer…where’s it been…I haven’t seen anything that looks remotely two “seamerish”. I hope he isn’t regressing into the fly ball pitcher of old whose stats from then and the dimensions of CBP don’t play well together unless your the visiting team. Right now no one is scared of our rotation. Lets hope the bats break rox.

48. cas

October 4, 2009 at 4:43 pm

In my defense, I’ve been a Phillies fan for almost 50 years, I am female, but was the sports editor of my college newspaper for 2 years, graduating with the highest GPA in my course of study from West Chester State. I HATE the Mets, and I am only trying to be realistic in my despair about the playoffs. This team doesn’t have the spark like they did last year when everything was coming together so perfectly to win it all. They are stumbling and injured in too many areas. If I’m wrong, I will be ecstatic, but far too often I’ve listened to other fans’ hype and ended up crushed when I had serious doubts to begin with, but changed my mind because I figured “everyone else can’t be wrong, so I must be”. No more pain! I’d rather be doom and gloom to start with and end up pleasantly surprised than the other way around.