Phils Give Props to HK After Clincher – Phillies Nation
Analysis

Phils Give Props to HK After Clincher

http://beerleaguer.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834515b5c69e201156f2768af970c-800wiIn a classy display of admiration and love for their lost broadcaster, the Phillies raced to left field following their victory Wednesday night to pay tribute to Harry Kalas. Some players slapped the wall; others showered it with beer, but all embraced in front of the giant “HK” 370 feet from home plate.

It was a fitting tribute to the legendary, larger-than-life voice of the Philadelphia Phillies.  He will always remain a part of the team, as is witnessed by his blue sports coat and white shoes traveling as part of the team all year.

Following the final out, “High Hopes” blared throughout Citizens Bank Park as another heartwarming reminder that Harry will be with us for the long haul this season, as well as many more to come.  And although he is gone, his legacy and passion for the sport still resonates throughout the ballpark, and the city as a whole.

On a side note, I thought the honoring of Harry was fitting.  It was reminiscent of how the Angels paid to homage to a teammate they lost earlier in the season, Nick Adenhart. Some believed that by showering the jersey of Adenhart with an alcoholic beverage, it sent the wrong message because of how the young man was killed.  Personally, it gave me goose bumps as much as the HK celebration because the Angels acted as if he was there with him; as if he was another human in the clubhouse being sprayed.

In our Tuesday podcast, Scott Franzke said it’s obvious no one will ever be able to replace Kalas, but that he pays his respect to HK by always being prepared and by treating the game with respect.  All fans young and old echo that sentiment about respect.  Everyone had undying respect for the man, and it was touching to watch the Phillies as a whole thank him for all he did with that quick reminder that he’s always here.

Listening to the games on the radio throughout the postseason just won’t be the same, though Franzke and his cohorts will do their best to conjure up memories of Harry the K.  And as we join the Phils on this October trip once again, we will, without question, have Harry in our minds, and hearts.  He’s still a part of this team, and no one has forgotten.

1. Kevin from Macho Row

October 1, 2009 at 11:16 am

It truly was a classy move, but what else woudl you expect form a classy organization?

2. GREENINIL

October 1, 2009 at 11:19 am

High Hopes should be played after every post season home win.

3. Adam G

October 1, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Just shows to everyone the makeup of this team. It is great for Philly to finally have something like this to show the rest of the country!

4. Georgie

October 1, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Nice post, Pat. I agree with your assessment of the Adenhart tribute, it was spontaneous and heartfelt, and I imagine Nick would have appreciated being remembered by his teammates in that way.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, one of the biggest problems in the world today, imo, is lack of respect, but I won’t rant on that here, it’s a HAPPY day in Phillie-land!

5. philsphan

October 1, 2009 at 12:53 pm

High Hopes is played after every win, right? So I don’t think the postseason will be any different.

6. South Jersey Al

October 1, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Great job honoring Harry. As for the Angels, the people who are upset with what they did apparently don’t understand the difference between alcohol use and alcohol abuse.

7. Jeff Y.

October 1, 2009 at 1:28 pm

He was in a class all by himself.

8. Harry Kalas

October 1, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Opps, there goes…another N.L. Eastern Division Championship….Opps, there goes…another trip back to the NLCS…Opps, there goes…another trip back to the Fall Classic…Opps, there goes…….another Parade Down Broad Street!…. Last nite was perfect!

9. Jeff

October 1, 2009 at 3:07 pm

That was amazing to watch. What a moment. I also thought by Charlie putting Lidge in there with 1 out to go was so touching. Said to Lidge thanks for last year and you are still my guy. I am hoping Lidge can become Lidge of last year. We can certainly use him. Think of him and Madson back to back again. We will be amazing.

10. Scotty

October 1, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I was really touched by Ibanez’s comments, as well. He’s been a real class addition to a very tight side, and you really have to tip your hat to Ruben and Charlie for bringing together such a likable ball club who, as I think Mitch Williams put it, “has no controversy following them”. Lucky days, in large part due to the warm spirit that remains after Harry’s passing.

11. Gavin

October 1, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I would like to have heard him call the game the night before….”Here’s the stretch…the 1-1 picth….swing and a long drive!…..deep left field!!…..Grand Slam Pedro Fay-leeeeez!!! And the Phils now lead it 5-1….

12. Don M

October 1, 2009 at 3:40 pm

I was just listening to Peter Gammons on ESPN.. he said that the Dodgers will probably start the postseason with Randy Wolf, and then Clayton Kershaw ..

I don’t see any way that the RH-hitting Cardinals don’t crush the Dodgers in an NLDS series if that is really the pitching rotation

13. Section118

October 1, 2009 at 3:44 pm

With all do respect to Kendrick, I want HK to have the Ashburn Award

14. Harry Kalas

October 1, 2009 at 3:53 pm

I did…. Whitey and Vuk were there too…..

15. dmarley

October 1, 2009 at 3:55 pm

A terrific moment for sure. Also want to say that I like Scott Franzke a LOT and hope he sticks around for a long time. Same with Larry Andersen (one of a kind). Outstanding chemistry on the radio, really entertaining broadcasts.

16. Greg V.

October 1, 2009 at 5:57 pm

Agree about Adenhart! I was almost horrified that some took offense to them pouring champagne on his jersey! Champagne symbolizes celebration not tragedy. Yes, alcohol was invovled in his death but it is meant to be enjoyed in celebratory times as well and I don’t care what all the other asshole in MAAD or pick your temperance group of choice say. It was a touching gesture that almost made me cry when I saw it.

17. Mazinman

October 1, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Its amazing how this is now the third Division championship in a row yet fate has made it just as memorable and touching as the first. Really classy move by part of the players made even more powerful by the fact that they went out there as a team.

What a party it will be in that corner of the Park if the Phils win the WS at home his year.

18. teejvee

October 1, 2009 at 7:15 pm

The Lee meltdown continues. Just batting practice.
    No way is this guy any higher than 4 in the post season rotation,
    No_WAY.

19. karen

October 1, 2009 at 9:02 pm

When the players went out to the HK in the outfield…that was just such a touching moment. I must admit that I was almost crying then…we all miss harry but esp those on the team who were lucky enough to spend time with him. we miss you hk

20. Frank Ferenchick

October 1, 2009 at 9:02 pm

This team is truly a class act, and it was obvious that this group was very special to Harry. And they continually show what Harry meant to them.
    Let’s win this one for Harry the K…..missing him more each day!!

21. bob loblaw

October 2, 2009 at 8:29 am

Any pics of this?

22. LH

October 2, 2009 at 8:30 am

The Phillies are building traditions that I hope will continue for many years: Winning NL eastern division titles; Players celebrating division win with Harry; Fans singing High Hopes with Harry after winning games; building their ML team with their farm system; and maybe have Scott Franzke & Larry Anderson on TV.

23. Brian of CO

October 2, 2009 at 12:23 pm

First, these posts IMO should be about HK. This was an AWESOME tribute. Lets do this for Harry. However I cant resist another comment off this topic. “The Lee meltdown continues. Just batting practice.” Maybe I missed some thing, I know he was taken out after 5.2 innings, with 3 ER’s (1 not earned because of an error correct) 7 hits still having 6 SO. Thats batting practice? Are you kidding me? So prior to the homer in the 6th inning, he gave up 1 ER. So now when Lee pitches, if its not 0 ER, and he doesnt finish the 6th innings its automatically “batting practice” Do you live under a rock? If he is #4, where does Hamels pitch. He had 3 OUTSTANDING starts last month, and since then has been cracking doing the same, 3-4 ER. Do you classify that as “batting practice”? I didnt think so.
    As for the Adenhart tribute. I 100% Greg V. Get a life people, honestly. What has this world come to. The Angels IMO did a great thing by REMEMBERING HIM.