2009 Recaps

Hamels, Bullpen Hammered; Yanks Take Series Lead

There are a few different players one can point to when placing blame regarding the Phillies 8-5 loss to New York. One however, sticks out like a very sore thumb.

Cole Hamels has struggled all season. Earlier in the year, after a less than stellar performance against the Marlins, mid-season, Hamels’  proclaimed, and I paraphrase, I will start to turn it on once the games become more important. So far this postseason, he has remained mediocre at his best and just plain bad at his worst. Perhaps the lights of the NLDS and the NLCS just weren’t bright enough for “Hollywood” to shine.

In Hamels biggest, most important game yet, Hamels again failed to dazzle. Lasting just 4.1 innings, Hamels allowed five runs on five hits. Hamels started the game looking good, allowing just one base-runner in the first three innings. Early on it appeared as if Cole had finally found a stage big enough to perform, however, after a walk to Mark Teixeira, Alex Rodriguez took Hamels deep to right field, homering off the camera in a bomb that required instant replay to determine.

The Phillies offense got to Andy Pettitte early, scoring three in the second. Jayson Werth started the scoring with a solo shot to left. It was the third straight game in which the Phillies scored first. A Pedro Feliz double, a Carlos Ruiz walk, and a Cole Hamels bunt single and the Phillies had bases loaded with one out. Jimmy Rollins drew the walk to score Feliz and Victorino sacrificed to score Ruiz. After two innings, things looked bright as the Phillies were up three.

Aside from another solo blast from Werth and a late blast by Ruiz, the Phillies line-up lay dormant for the rest of the evening. More importantly, the Phillies 3-4 and 6 hitters (all lefties) went 0 for 12 with seven strike outs. Ryan Howard was the biggest culprit with three total. He is now batting .154 in the World Series after a torrid postseason.

Let’s not forget the bullpen which failed to keep the game within reach after Hamels left. Allowing dingers to both Nick Swisher and Hideki Matsui, they coughed up three runs in 4.2 innings of work.

In all, it was a collectively bad effort with little exception. It will gave the Phillies just their second loss at home in the playoffs over the past two seasons.

The Phillies will look to even the series tomorrow when they square off in Game Four. Game time is set for 8:20 pm and Joe Blanton will take the mound for the Phillies. A loss and the Phillies will find themselves with their backs placed squarely against the wall. C.C. Sabathia goes for the Yankees.

1. Terry

November 1, 2009 at 12:58 am

How come no one talks about the manager. Evetryone watvching the game saw Hamel wilt in the 5th inning just has he had in LA. It doesn’t take a genius to see he can only go 4 innings. This is the World Series – why wasn’t he yanked immediately. The fans booed the manager stayed with his starter. Need t a replacement!

2. Andrew

November 1, 2009 at 1:20 am

I am not on line during games to comment. I will share with everyone my current facebook status. I am not being negative. I still feel the phils have a good chance to win this series.
    My status:
    Enough already. I have seen Cole Chambles suck for an entire season. Now he has sucked and been the worst pitcher on the team for the entire post season. I have had enough. How many playoff games can you hand over because a pitcher pitched welll 12 months ago? Cole went hollywood. He SUCKS. Shut him down please.

3. Brian of CO

November 1, 2009 at 1:33 am

I was hoping to eat crow today, but I didnt. I said after game 2, “Cole is pitching, Yankees take the series lead”. 🙁 Oh well. Can they bounce back? I know they CAN, but WILL they? Mith Williams even said “Cole Hamels would not start for him in the World Series”. How many starts has he had? And he has not pitched beyond the 6th inning in any start. He was GREAT…LAST season. Charlie has done a wonderful job overall with this team, but sometimes you have to let loyalty go and say Sorry Cole, you are not with it this season. I sure wish Cole could go back to his 2008 Post season splender, but he hasnt. we are down 2-1 in the series, BUT we still have 2 games left IN Philly. The Phillies CAN without a doubt take the next 2 games at home, and send the series BACK to NY leading the series 3-2. BUT will they? It appears PORTIONS of the team (Howard and the Pitching) is going back to the way they were playing when they got swept by the Pirates and the Astros, however, other members of the team are still charging now. Werth is starting to hit again, and after the 2nd home run, I LOVED his reaction, and trying to get the team into and pumped up, it just didnt happen. I am hoping Chooch with the Homer in the 9th was a spark regardless of the loss.

November 1, 2009 at 1:40 am

Color me slightly optimistic with Heavy B and Cliff Lee (probably our best two starters) going on Sunday and Monday. But usually Game 3 is pivotal, and I can’t get too excited again unless the Phillies show us that they’re ready to turn this series around.

5. george 55

November 1, 2009 at 1:47 am

I suck. sorry all but I love the musical group “Blondi” because I lurve the 80’s. That’s why I am so bitter, yet quick with my ignorant, Yankee loving tongue. I love Blondi so much I put it in my e-mail address. I’m sorry I have offended everyone… like I said I suck and hopefully, the man of my dreams, possible Frillies fan will come to my rescue and be my very gay prince charming.

6. Andrew

November 1, 2009 at 1:48 am

Obviously tonights game is a must.
    This team hasnt been trailing in a series since the rockies series in 07. Put up or shut up. I like using Joe and letting Lee go monday. I like the phils chances vs CC. Beat him the last 2 post season times they have faced him. Its a must now. Now we finally see the true charachter. In a way I am happy to see us behind the 8 ball.

7. Andrew

November 1, 2009 at 1:50 am

Hamels sucks
    Hillbilly has won a world series and is trying for another. Way to respect him. Bring on CC. Believe the media hype.

8. mikeB

November 1, 2009 at 2:10 am

I would have started Ben Francisco in this game instead of Ibanez in left field. Being a right handed hitter, Francisco would have gotten a better look at the pitches from lefty Pettite. As it was, Ibanez went 0 for 4 with 2 Ks. Just to try something different to maybe create more offense against Pettite.

Hamels does not have what it takes at this time to win. If series goes 7 games, it looks like it will be Lee on short rest. Somebody other than Lee is going to have to beat the Yanks.

9. Brian of CO

November 1, 2009 at 2:12 am

Andrew, dont even both commenting on what george55 says. I see his name and I just skip over the post, because he can look at a 5 run win (game 1) and STILL find everything wrong with this team. The Phillies HAVE the advantage right now. If the Phillies lost tomorrow by not hitting CC on 3 days rest when they know they can kill him with only 3 days rest (like last season) the we are in a world of hurt, but as of right now, the Phillies still have the advantage. Do I think the Phillies will win the next two? Not so sure, but I lost complete faith at the end of the regular season, then all of sudden, BAM. I hope the “all of a sudden” will happen again. I havent lost all faith, but I am a little skeptical honestly.

10. keng

November 1, 2009 at 2:13 am

Regarding blanton pitching tomorrow, isn’t it this simple – u have to win 3 of 4 now against the yanks – and 2 of them are likely to be in new york – and they are likely to pitch cc, burnett, and pettite – the phil’s choices r blanton, lee, martinez, hamels OR lee, blanton, martinez, lee – in the first alterantive u have almost no chance of winning 3 of 4 – u may win 1 or 2 of 4 but no way 3 of 4!! – in the second alternative u might get lucky riding lee, win both of his games, and win 1 of the blanton or martinez games to take the series – who disagrees and sees it otherwise?? – i think this is about as easy a managerial choice/decision as there is – theres no games after the series so setting up to win 2 games at best is just not a choice!! – start an email campaign now if u want the phillies to have a chance to win the series!!!!! HELP!!!! – i have tickets but im not going if they pitch Blanton!! – and, by the way, i love blanton and charlie but………..

11. Brian of CO

November 1, 2009 at 2:13 am

Not to mention Mike B., the Righties in the line-up had a pretty good game overall against the Lefty. Our Lefties sucked it up.

12. Brian of CO

November 1, 2009 at 2:17 am

Blanton has been FAR better than Hamels all season. You basically do NOT start Hamels again, PERIOD, HOWEVER, Cliff Lee is completely UNTOUCHABLE when he has full rest, but you are suggesting short rest followed by short rest. Considering how he has been this season on short rest, I think thats a bad idea.

13. keng

November 1, 2009 at 2:20 am

when has lee pitched on short rest?? – hes been lights out all playoffs – best ever!!!!!!! – u have to ride him – to get all the way here and do otherwiase when theres such a big drop off and u need 3 of 4 is insanity – someone should be fired if they cant explain this!!!!!!!!!!

14. mikeB

November 1, 2009 at 2:33 am

keng; the second alternative would be the way to go but I liked Lee going tomorrow night in the 4th game on 4 days rest and then pitch Blanton or Happ on Monday in the 5th game. Pedro would go in a possible 6th game in New York with Lee going in a possible 7th game next Thursday with 4 days rest. Obviously, the big decision would be whether to throw Blanton or Happ in the 5th game. As it is, Manuel chose Blanton for tomorrow night and Happ pitched in this last game. Must be going with the experience thing in originally choosing Blanton for tomorrow and delegating Happ to the bullpen which is short of lefties.

15. BigTimeFrillyFan

November 1, 2009 at 2:36 am

It’s good to be King again!

BTW…beating the Tampa Bay Rays does not count.

Welcome to Major League Baseball.
    As You know… I am king of anal play. I let guys touch my anus regularly. Ha it’s good to be the king of hiney loving.

16. Kennedy

November 1, 2009 at 2:39 am

You people are all retarded. CC on short rest is gonna be easier to hit, and Blanton was good against Tampa last year in the World Series. Keep in mind, assuming we have an even chance at game 4, and are almost certain to win game 5 cliff lee vs short rest burnett, that gives us game 6 against an aging andy pettite on short rest vs pedro on extra rest, and then game 7 against a CC Sabathia who will be on short rest again, against probably Happ, with Lee available from the Bullpen in an emergency.

Everyone here seems to have forgotten that we’ve faced CC on short rest before, and the result wasn’t a shutout. Oh, and if you need another reason not to despair, Mariano should be getting tired. He’s thrown 14.1 innings in October, more than he threw in any month this year by a few, and as invincible as he has always been, we have a lineup that will make things happen if he makes any mistakes.

Charlie won us a world series, and I trust him more than george 55 the lunatic.

17. Brian of CO

November 1, 2009 at 2:42 am

He hasnt pitched in short rest this post season. The regular season he had, and he got hit pretty good. And @ BigTimeFrillyFan, the series is 2-1, its not over, the next to games are in Philly. So if beating the Rays doesnt count, what did that make the Yankees last year when they didnt even make the playoffs? Since the Rays are in the same division, that means the Yankees really sucked last season prior to trying to BUY the Championship.

18. mikeB

November 1, 2009 at 2:46 am

Tampa Bay is not the New York Yankees and the Phils offense is going to have to get going too along with hopefully good pitching in order to be able to beat this Yankee team.

19. jt

November 1, 2009 at 3:00 am

the yankees aren’t the rays because they buy their player…all the guys there are there because they got money they couldn’t turn down…a-rod said awhile back he wanted to play for the mets,tex wanted to play for baltimore and cc wanted to play on the west coast…enjoy buying your championships and not earning em like most teams.

20. fightinphils

November 1, 2009 at 3:05 am

George55 you have to be the bigggest moron!! Did you fail to notice that when Hamels was pulled the score was 5-3. Happ, Myers, and Durbin didn’t look to great either. Did we watch the same game. Did you fail to notice that we didn’t get any producton from Shane, Chase, Ryan, and Raul. Your the fan Philly doesn’t need!! Just a dumb bitch who thinks he know more than the people who have spent there lives in baseball. Stick to selling burgers and fries because you don’t know shit!!

21. jt

November 1, 2009 at 3:09 am

now as for the phillies,they’ve hit one of their slumps and everyone has jumped on board…ryan howard is a strikeout machine this world series,chase utley hasn’t done anything except the 2 home runs and the guys that get it all started rollins and victorino aren’t getting on base…i’ve been noticing their swing for the long ball alot again,the reason they got to the world series again is because they weren’t getting base hits with risp…their gonna have to get back to that and quite swing for home runs in every at bat.

22. fightinphils

November 1, 2009 at 3:11 am

The way I see it if the offense can turn it around and provide Blanton with run support then we can easily tie up the series. Then we can go with Lee against Burnett, which I believe he will win. Then Pedro against Petite, which I strongly believe Pedro can win . If this goes to game 7 we could be in trouble. Cole sucks on the road and after tonight I don’t think I would trust him with a Championship. Happ is a good option but with the way are bullpen has performed…..

23. jt

November 1, 2009 at 3:12 am

*were instead of weren’t.

24. Brian of CO

November 1, 2009 at 3:27 am

Sorry to be a pessimist right now, but if we get to game 7 and Charlie starts Hamels…Congratulations to the Yankmees for buying your championship. I agree with fightinphils, I do NOT trust Hamels this season. Last season, yes, but that was LAST season. Maybe he will start Hamels, and MAYBE Hamels shows up, but his postseason numbers are against him. I am just hoping for a game 7 PERIOD. It depends on if the Phillies can put this game behind them.

25. Dice

November 1, 2009 at 3:37 am

Let me point out something: In EVERY start that Hamels starts off well, he’s using just his fastball and his changeup. The second he starts going heavy with that balloon he calls a Curve Ball that every body and their mother can hit, he gets HAMMERED. That’s not just tonight, that’s not just this season, that’s his ENTIRE CAREER UP TO THIS POINT.

26. j reed

November 1, 2009 at 3:45 am

The bull pen didn’t look great but that’s 10 days of rust to shake off. Now that they got there feet wet hopefully they’ll keep the ball down…no more of these up and away pitches. If Hamels pitches game seven….I don’t want to think about it….7 HRs, !4 ER in about 20 innings is nothing short of abysmal. The offense didn’t capitalize off of Petite but did put up 5 runs….the 3 run lead was more than enough for last years WS MVP to get us thru at least 5 innings with the lead. I mean I thought okay with 3 bad starts he’s due for a good one….Ruiz also needs to take some heat….3 consecutive curve balls to Swisher…if he didn’t call for them he should have never let Hamels call for them…and what’ with the first pich curveball to petite…Was the rationale behind that. Were they trying to get the top of the order to think curveballs and then suprise them with FBs. Jeez, he did throw a few nice ones but pick your places. I am still baffled by this….You have a runner in scoring position, strike out Caberra, and decide to get cute with a curve ball to a pitche who probably would struggle to the FBs cages at the batting cage . How stupid do you have to be to do this

27. mikeB

November 1, 2009 at 4:57 am

I agree with you j reed. The first pitch curve ball pitch to Pettite was the top bonehead pitch of the year for Hamels.

28. j reed

November 1, 2009 at 5:20 am

mike B. – i’d also like to know where Ruiz was in all this. 3 curveballs in a row to Swisher, WTF? Just like the three change-ups in a row to Manny one of which he deposited in stands.

29. Philly Is a Cesspool

November 1, 2009 at 7:58 am

The best thing about a Philly series win is that, as the dirtbag fans have already shown after the NLCS, they’ll react to the unfamiliarity of success with more disorderly conduct and, maybe this time they’ll burn the cessppol known as Philadelphia to the ground. I must say that living in NY is so much more fabulous than Philly. I mean the corn hole that I constantly enjoy in greenwhich village is soooo much better than what I get in the gayborhood.

30. Fox Newsroom

November 1, 2009 at 8:33 am

In the FOX NEWSROOM Yankees fan John Bolaris is happy and celebrating and then he gets on the air and acts like a Phillies fan – makes you wanna puke.

31. MDefl

November 1, 2009 at 9:29 am

Nice comments (sarc)

Look, I think Hamels should have been pulled earlier but to disparage Manuel is flat out wrong. 3 division titles, 2 pennants and a WS is a pretty good record.

As for the Yankees fans finding their way here, I just have this to say – your scum. Scum, scum, scum. The fact is that your precious team should win the WS every single year given their bloated payroll. The fact that they do not marks them as a failure in my book.

This series is not over – mark my words. Howard and Utley will start hitting again.

32. MDefl

November 1, 2009 at 9:31 am

Clearly, the curve balls were a mistake especially to Pettite. That made no sense. Hamels needs to shake that pitch off.

33. Scooter

November 1, 2009 at 9:36 am

Remember J-Roll’s prediction: Phillies win 5 but if we’re nice, we’ll make it go 6. The Phillies are obviously being nice, so Phillies win in 6

34. Jason Bintliff

November 1, 2009 at 9:39 am

In response to the legitimate comments regarding Charlie, I agree, he did a poor job managing last night. I almost included that in the wrap-up, but there were too many others things to point blame at that Charlie was the least of my worries. AS far as pulling Hamels too late, we all knew going into the post season that our bullpen was suspect. Charlie had little to work with in those regards, but it worked for him so far.

35. George

November 1, 2009 at 9:39 am

The curveballs were definitely stupid. The first was good, but two of the next three were hangers, particularly the one to Petitte. A real hitter would have destroyed that one, not just flared it to center.

Ruiz has to take some of the blame for this particular Hamels loss. He should have stuck with what was working. I haven’t seen many of Hamels’ other blow-ups, but if the strategy has been to suddenly start relying on his worst pitch, it needs to change. Ruiz and Hamels both need to rethink this in their pre-game meetings.

You can’t fault Hamels for the fourth inning. That was strike three to Texiera, and the cheapest home run I’ve ever seen. It may not have even cleared the wall had not some media idiot put his camera in the way. It was a homer on a ground-rule technicality.

That said, if there is a game seven, I’d prefer not to see Hamels. When one has an off-year, one generally loses even the well-pitched games.

One last note: Yankees fans complain about the lack of class of Phils fans. They always manage to do it in a remarkably tasteless, classless, ill-informed manner, though. They are the pot calling the kettle black, as the saying goes. I ignore them, and hope others do the same.

36. Ed R.

November 1, 2009 at 10:16 am

No offense but I have no problem with the Yankees buying their championships and if you all were Yankees fans you wouldn’t either. The problem is not the Yankees, its the MLB system and lack of salary cap. The Yanks spend all the money in the world because they have it. If the Phillies were in that situation I would want the Phillies to do it as well. Being as that the Phillies are not in the same situation as the Yankees then it seems unfair, and maybe it is. But it is not wrong. It is what MLB allows for. Blame Bud the brainless.

Secondly, C.C does not impress me and I think him going on short rest means he may be limited but I also don’t see how this team is going to beat him three times in this series. Which, unless we win the next three, we are going to have to do. I still feel like we need to start Lee today to get momentum back on our side but that’s just me. Regardless of the pitcher though, we need to score some runs. We scored 6 runs the last 2 games, 3 came off solo jobs and one a bases loaded walk, that means we manufactured 2 runs in the last 2 games. 3 if you count the walk, which I do. That is pretty poor and won’t help anyone on the mound. Blanton, Lee, whoever.

I really hope they put a stop to the bleeding tonight, because I can’t handle another display like what we saw last night.

37. Harry Kalas

November 1, 2009 at 11:00 am

I agree. The Yanks didn’t steal their money. They earned it fair and square as far as I know. While we’ll never out spend them, the Phillies do a have a silent, minority owner with boat loads of cash. More than the Yankees in fact. So technically we could out spend them if the “silient” one ever decided he wanted to buy the team.

I was mad yesterday but today is a new day. Win today and it’s a whole new ball game.

38. Harry Kalas

November 1, 2009 at 11:05 am

Game 2 was they key. It was not a “bonus” game. You can’t blow chances against this team. I know the O was quiet. but if Charlie brings in a lefty to face Matsui and uses Chan Ho to start the 7th, chances are very likely we avoid M. Rivera for 2 inngs. Charlie is getting way out managed and it’s embrassing.

39. SpankyYankee

November 1, 2009 at 11:11 am

Hey guys…stop crying about the MLB…the homer AKA double…this series is far from over …ya just can’t pitch Hamels anymore…lets just say he would’nt get away with saying what he did after the game in NY….I still think it goes 7 games…its gonna be one of the best series ever….and we’ll get to witness it…who knows you guy might get the calls tonight…as for paying for a world series….the guys still have to play/and win. I always said on here Hamels is over rated….as for Howard the lay off hurt him..I think a few in the “media” said last night as well …if Lee is the stud for you guys WHY CAN”T HE GO ON 3 DAYS REST??? in what I call “a gotta win situation” a little shy of “must” win….we’ll see

40. joedad

November 1, 2009 at 11:16 am

Hamels should be in the pen the rest of the series. I think he would do better there because he dominates the first time through a lineup. It is the 2nd and 3rd time around that he gets hit.

Tonight is not an automatic win for the Yankees. CC vs Blanton on normal rest is an advantage to the Yankees but CC on 3 days rest is not as much of an advantage. We know our fans can get to him. If the Phils are patient and make him throw pitches, he won’t last deep into the game and the Phils have shown they can hit their pen. Big Joe needs to keep the ball down in the zone and limit the damage. Pull out a win and they have a fully rested Lee for game 5.

41. Georgie

November 1, 2009 at 11:29 am

It’s complete and utter BS that the Fox camera was hanging out into the field of play. I agree with Mike Schmidt from the game thread, there’s NO WAY the call should have been overturned, but going into this series I KNEW the Yankees would win at least one game on a controversial call that went their way. Everyone’s focusing on Cole, but the fact is the umps handed the Yankees their first 2 runs, who knows what would have happened if the Yanks had to actually EARN those runs?

42. Hugh Stacks

November 1, 2009 at 11:33 am

Why do philly fans always insist they can “get to players”? I love the spirit but give me a break, these are professional athletes. Sure, once in a blue moon someone may get rattled but the majority of the time it has little to no effect. So please stop bragging about, sit down and face the reality that you are significantly less important than you seem to realize.

43. joedad

November 1, 2009 at 11:37 am

They got to CC last year without a doubt.

44. Hugh Stacks

November 1, 2009 at 11:48 am

Or maybe it was the 5 starts in a row on 3 days rest.

45. Harry Kalas

November 1, 2009 at 12:24 pm

nah, the crowd got to him… Period. The million pitch ab which ended in a walk to Myers proved that. He later admitted to Charlie that he wasn’t tried, he just tried fool the Phils w/change-ups then high fastballs and it back fired. We were up a game in that spot last year. Now we’re down 2-1. This is the Yanks not the Brew-Crew. This also ain’t the NLDS. The crowd will be on edge early on because we know what going down 3-1 means. Same way the Yankee crowd was on each early in Game 2. The Phils will have to beat C.C. tonite. The crowd will be no factor until later on in the game if the Phillies have an unforseeable 3 run+ lead.

46. Philadelphia is a Cesspool

November 1, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Waaaah.. they outspend us…. waaaah… the umps make calls for the Yankees. Waaaah.. we live in Philadelphia. waaaaah SUCK IT!

47. joedad

November 1, 2009 at 12:52 pm

The disparity in salaries between the Phils and Rays last year isn’t much different than the disparity this year between the Yanks and Phils. Money doesn’t mean everything or the Yankees would win 130 games every year and sweep each postseasn series.

48. Harry Kalas

November 1, 2009 at 1:13 pm

stop watching my comments so closely. you phillies nation boneheads. I’m not that bad.

49. Harry Kalas

November 1, 2009 at 1:18 pm

stop paying attention to me and fix your broken clock. tick…tick…genius!

50. Hrhittr7273

November 1, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Unfortunatrly the series is most likely over 🙁 Down to a must win toniggt with blanton on the mound against sabathia just seems too far out of reach. Itd be a 3-1 yankee series lead with one to play in philly. Looks like the reigning champs will lose their crown.

51. Stuart

November 1, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Yankee fans, are you so pathetic and so terrified that youre going to lose this series that you need to come onto a PHILLIES blog and try to talk trash. you tell us we dont get to players and we are less important than we think, then why do you think you get to talk smack? because you root for them? you dont help them, you dont play for them, you have nothing to do with them so why do you get to talk smack? You call us classless and bad fans. how so? i think being so pathetic that you need to go onto the other teams blog and try to talk smack to the other teams fans then you are classless. you say that we dont get to their players, well you dont get to us. you just give us something to laugh at. the minute the phillies win, they will go and hide and never show their classless faces around here again.

52. shag beta sigma delta

November 1, 2009 at 3:44 pm

I think the bats have to show up tonight, 4 or 5 runs should be enough, the Phillies pen has been over rested, worry a little since Lidge has not pitched in almost two weeks. But I think they will show up tonight. JB as to pitch very good and go 6 or 7 give up 2 or 3 runs. IMO it is more that the bats have to show up 3-5 to give us a chance tonight. I will be listening on the radio in the car traveling to PA from VT for game 5. Which hopefully will put the phillies up if not, I truly believe they can take two in NYC.
    All that being said, I am proud of this team, they have not laid down all year and they will not start now.
    Go Big Joe, and hammer CC for tonight.
    Phils win 6-2. will see you all at game 5

53. Hugh Stacks

November 1, 2009 at 4:05 pm

People like Stuart have become part of the norm in this country. They try to express their thoughts and formulate an argument but they lack the educational background and/or the ability to decipher between what they perceive to be true, based on their personal feelings, and what is in fact, reality. Stuart, just because I stated that these Philly fans have less of an impact than they think does not mean I am talking smack. If you actually believe that you do have a profound impact on players, and in turn contribute to the outcome of games, than you are lying to yourself for reasons that I can only guess. You might be the type of person who is lost in the grand scheme of things and is desperately trying to grasp at a purpose that is being composed in your own minds eye because the truth might be to much to bare. Obviously these are wildly drastic assumptions that are only grounded on a sole blog comment, but your blatant and unfounded anger speaks volumes about your charecter. Yanks in 6.

54. Scooter

November 1, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Hugh Stacks: its spelled CHARACTER

55. Stuart

November 1, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Yeah nice spelling Hugh Stacks. I can see you are lacking this educational background you speak of. And if the cheering does not do anything for the players, then why cheer? We should all just sit there silent and watch and let the players work.

56. Hugh Stacks

November 1, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Highlighting a single spelling error and not responding with anything of substance…guess my assertation was pretty close? Once again, I have no problem with cheering, it’s part of being a fan; but if you believe that the cheering has some sort of significant impact would be a sad statement of insecurity.

57. Stuart

November 1, 2009 at 7:46 pm

How would that make me insecure? If I think that our cheering helps the players that makes me insecure? Do you understand what it means to be insecure. I think you are the one that is insecure. You need to make yourself feel good by trying to talk smack on a blog. Not only are you talking smack on a blog, but youre talking smack on a blog that isnt even for your team. That just makes me think that you are insecure and your fans probably pushed you away from their blog because you lack knowledge of baseball.

58. Mike Schmidt

November 1, 2009 at 8:12 pm

The thing about the A-Rod double is simple. The umps made up a ground rule that anything that hits a camera is a home run. Their reasoning behind it is that they do not control what the cameraman does with the camera. That reasoning is a lie. They do control what the camerman does with the camera, they are moving him back for game 4 and they also control what the cameraman does with the camera by having instant replay. Instant replay can check to see where the camerman is, the umps don’t need to make up a ground rule about cameras. That ground rule that the umps made up is inconsistent with having instant replay. And they used the instant replay to uphold a bogus rule that should only be in effect when they do not have instant replay. That is why the call is bogus.

59. Mike Schmidt

November 1, 2009 at 8:18 pm

The ground rule that the umps made up is inconsistent with having instant replay. The rule states that any ball hitting a camera is a home run because the umps do not control the camerman. That is only true when the umps do not have instant replay. Because the umps have instant replay their reasoning behind the ground rule is a lie and the ground rule is illegal.

60. Scooter

November 1, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Hugh Stacks: I’d respond further but you can’t rationalize with a bumbling fool like yourself.

61. Hugh Stacks

November 1, 2009 at 9:34 pm

It makes you insecure because your putting yourself up on an imaginary pedestal because you want to believe you are more important than you actually are. It wasn’t that hard to follow.

62. Scooter

November 1, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Did your mommy write out that response for you hughy? That’s pretty lame. What’s next: I know you are but what am I? watch the game or go play your world of war craft

63. Barry Starritt

February 16, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Hi just thought i would tell you something.. This is twice now i’ve landed on your blog in the last 2 days hunting for completely unrelated things. Spooky or what?