Analysis

High Hopes for Game 5

Hopefully this works for tonight’s game. High hopes everyone…

Next time you’re found with your chin on the ground, there a lot to be learned, so look around.
Just what makes that little old ant think he’ll move that rubber-tree plant? Anyone knows an ant can’t move a rubber-tree plant.
But he’s got high hopes, he’s got high hopes.
He’s got high apple pie in the sky hopes.

Pat Gallen can be reached via email at Pat@Philliesnation.com

1. John Russo

November 2, 2009 at 3:50 pm

I got my own rally post going as well. Not trying to spam PN but I am sick of reading all the “woe is me. we lost” garbage by our”fans.” Get off your asses, stop crying, and support your damn team!

2. Jim

November 2, 2009 at 3:56 pm

I’m wearing my white loafers to the game tonight….don’t sleep on Harry

3. NickFromGermantown

November 2, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Never retreat! Never surrender!

4. philsphan

November 2, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Lee goes 8 innings of 1 run ball. Phils win 5-2
    Pedro goes 6 innings of 4 run ball. Phils win 10-6
    Happ throws a gem in Game 7, throwing 7 innings of 1 run ball. Phils win 6-3 and repeat.

We can dream I guess. But in all honesty, if the offense wakes up, this series is not over. Just take it one game at a time.

5. Shawn victorino

November 2, 2009 at 4:06 pm

I love this post. It seems like this site is now flooded with Yankees fans and people who have lost phaith. It isn’t over yet guys. We got cliff on the mound tonight, let’s send it back to NY. Take it one game at a time. Come on let’s let this post be all about positive comments and let people who still have phaith to express their thoughts! Go phils!!

6. philsphan

November 2, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Also, I’m really happy we’re facing Burnett tonight. Hopefully facing a righty will help our bats wake up and we can carry that into New York.

7. bfo_33

November 2, 2009 at 4:11 pm

I truly believe this is going to game 7. Under any circumstances, I like Lee against Burnett, esp Burnett in a pressure game with only 3 days rest. Same goes with Pedro against Petite (they hit Petite well last time,…., plus Pedro’s swan song in Yankee stadium). My thought for game 7 – start Hamels, if he gets hit, go Blanton, Happ, Durbin, Park, Eyre, Myers,…. Throw out a different guy every inning if that is what it takes. Go Phils!

8. Gavin

November 2, 2009 at 4:28 pm

The pressure is on the Yanks if we can just win this one tonight!!

9. NickFromGermantown

November 2, 2009 at 4:29 pm

What the f*** happened to the Philadelphia I used to know? Where’s the spirit? Where’s the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you’re gonna let it be the worst. “Ooh, we’re afraid to watch the game with you, we might lose.” Well just kiss my a** from now on! Not me! I’m not gonna take this!

WE CAN BEAT THESE GUYS! NOW IS THE TIME! LET’S DO IT!

10. Andrew

November 2, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Harry is a sucker for the post-season drama. He’s up there – or wherever in the ether one goes in the afterlife – watching us squirm down here praying that the Phellas can pull off the (almost) impossible. I have a feeling he’ll be the 10th man on the field for the Phightins over the next few nights.

This team’s got heart, and lots of it. The HK badge is placed over it for a reason. Enough screwing around … time to let the bats and gloves do the talking, send this back to NY, and finish them damn Yankees off.

Do it for Harry the K.

11. shawn

November 2, 2009 at 4:46 pm

I was really glad to see this post today. It really helped to keep the spirits up. After we win tonight, we can beat Pettite on short rest and CC looked tired at the end of last night so i think he will be out of gas for game 7. high hopes

12. Jeff of Nova

November 2, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Nothing Like Harry to pick up your spirits!!

COME on BOYS win this one for HK!!

13. Pat Gallen

November 2, 2009 at 5:07 pm

There still some left in the tank. I feel it for tonight. Cheer like you’ve never cheered before.

14. Ben

November 2, 2009 at 5:12 pm

think about what the players will feel when the place is rocking like we were possibly clinching tonight. these guys are down, we can pick them up. lets do it.

15. Georgie

November 2, 2009 at 5:14 pm

That’s right Pat, these guys deserve our support no matter what the outcome, and instead of the negative chants which are directed at the other team, we need to pump up OUR team with positive energy filling every nook and cranny of CBP!

GO PHILLIES!!!!!

November 2, 2009 at 5:17 pm

I’m on my way to philly with my Chooch Panamania t-shirt! I have high hopes! Let’s go Phils!!!!!!!!

17. Amanda Orr

November 2, 2009 at 5:23 pm

It’s do or die! Now it’s OUR turn to win 3 in a row! LET’S GO PHILLIES! HIGH HOPES!!!!!!

18. U Gotta Believe

November 2, 2009 at 5:29 pm

But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done!….I see a Rocky comeback story in the making…by next week we are going to be looking back and saying how can we ever doubt these boys again…Lets go get what’s ours!
    Big night for the offense…Rollins will provide the spark and Howard the will become the catalyst once again. Repeat boyz…no said it was going to be easy…High Hopes!

Fightin Phil for Life!

19. FillyP

November 2, 2009 at 5:32 pm

We miss and love you HK.

One game at a time, we turn the tables. Starting tonight!! I want to hear the crowd more pumped up than ever. If you’re going to the game, tonight is THE night. Send it back to the Bronx where we’ll face an aging Pettite on 3 days rest. Let’s shock the world!!

Look out Yankees, we’re coming for you.

20. oaklandphilsphan

November 2, 2009 at 5:46 pm

If Cliff Lee does what 98% of the Philly fanbase thinks he will tonight the key to the rest of the series will be game 6 Wednesday night.

The forecast for NYC on Thursday for what would be game 7 is not good, rain/snow/windy with temps in the 30s as another nor’easter moves up the coast. Doesn’t look good for Friday either.

If the Phils win tonight, somehow pull out game 6 Wednesday (with Burnett on 3 days rest and Pedro having another start anywhere remotely close to last week, that would be a distinct possibility) we could be looking at the following situation for game 7 if the HK Express (yes, that’s what I’m calling the Nor’easter) moves up the coast:

Lee tonight
    Day off
    Pedro Wednesday
    Rainout Thursday
    Rainout Friday
    Lee on Saturday, regular rest, for Game 7.

We’ve got, High hopes!!!

21. PhillyMurph

November 2, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Being from Philly all we know how to do is hope. We hoped for years for a championship and now we hope for another one. I agree with Oakland, we get the win tonight…pull off something in game 6 and hope for rain. If we get this to an epic game 7…Let’s just say, I love our chances behind Lidge.

22. Andrew

November 2, 2009 at 5:59 pm

the guy with the link to his blog. Chambles is done. Who still considers him the ace? People in a mental institution? Luckily for us and Cole we wont be seeing him anymore. That he isnt available in the pen for a potential game 7 speaks volumes for how fast he has fallen.
    Great video though ! I posted it on my facebook

23. Keith E

November 2, 2009 at 6:01 pm

GO PHILS!!!!!!!!!

24. Andrew

November 2, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Optimistic no
    hope yes
    One game at a time.

25. Andrew

November 2, 2009 at 6:05 pm

If the fightins can miracle it to game 7 i love happ in that game. he should have started game 3 and the other 2 starts that Chambles had in the post season. Because he earned it. Go phils

26. Phil

November 2, 2009 at 6:13 pm

We can still do this. We are the Fightin Phils for a reason. Do not lose faith guys!!! This is a team of destiny. The chips are down and we play best with our backs against the wall. Never lose faith in a team as resilient as the Phillies! LET’S GO PHILLIES! If we come back and take this in 7 games it will be more triumphant than winning in 4 or 5 or 6. Stop talking about who will start game 7. Stop making your predictions. The series starts tonight. We need to win tonight before we can even think about Wednesday. Get your rally towels out. I’m lighting my Rally-O-Lantern pumpkin I carved that is moldy and smells like ass but that I refuse to shatter until the WS is over. I am taking all of the proper superstitions I need to take. This team will do it. The Yankees are the better team, but the Phillies are good enough to beat anyone 3 games in a row. This is like if we were Rocky Balboa and the Yankees are Apollo Creed.

27. Jeff G.

November 2, 2009 at 6:46 pm

We have learned alot. Manuel makes terrible baseball moves. Brad Lidge not only cant pitch but doesnt cover an open base. Chase Utley has become an average fielder. Ryan Howard cant hit in clutch situations. Raul Ibanez has gone missing. Cole Hamels the Princess is a one year wonder. Jimmy Rollins the biggest mouth in baseball doesnt back it up with his bat and dreadful season. SHUT UP BIG MOUTH. Yankees in 6 because of Lee.