Posts

Phillies Hot Stove Update

Buster Olney writes in his column this morning that the Phillies are going hard after a “set-up man/closer safety net” after Brad Lidge’s offseason surgery on a torn flexor tendon. Who could he be talking about?

J.J. Putz is an intriguing name on the market, as are Jose Valverde, Rafael Soriano, and Mike Gonzalez.  They are all Type-A free agents, as are Billy Wagner and Kevin Gregg.  The only real closing option that is not a Type-A is Fernando Rodney.

Rodney was linked to the Phillies earlier in the week by Ken Rosenthal and John Paul Morosi.

David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News says that there are three third baseman he believes the Phillies are hard after: Adrian Beltre, Mark Derosa, and Placido Polanco.  Polanco is 34 and coming off of a Rawlings Gold Glove season at second base in Detroit.  He said he would switch positions if he were to move to a contending team.  Derosa is 35, and has Philly ties.  Beltre is the youngest of the bunch at 30, and has some pop from the right side, to go with a gold glove.

-Yesterday, Jon Heyman of SI talked about how the Phillies would go hard after Chone Figgins for the third base vacancy.

Heyman also tweeted yesterday that eight teams are vying for the services of Derosa, who has been known to be as versatile as any player in the game.

-Murphy also talks about the Phillies attempt to bring back Chan Ho Park, who was an integral part of the Phillies bullpen in 2009.  Many believe Park wants to be a starter, but as we witnessed early in the season, that ship may have sailed.

1. dudley monk

November 12, 2009 at 11:37 am

Thanks for the excellent updates. The offseason has become a season unto itself. Lots of exciting, important possibilities. Focus on third base, utility, bullpen and a starter are no small goals.

2. beta sigma shag

November 12, 2009 at 12:18 pm

I really hope they can re sign Pedro for less than the 5.5 mil option, he is a good fit. I do like DeRosa as everyday 3rd basemen, but would love to see him on the bench. It would be nice to find a young 3rd basemen in A or AA that is 2-3 years away and pick him up and bring him up in the system. I do not think Figgins is a great match with this lineup, JRoll will not be moved out of lead off, and though he is a very good player I just was not impressed with him in the Playoffs. I know it is a small sample size, but just something about his attitude or something just did not sit right with me.
    I do not see Doc coming here unless they figure a way to get both Lee and Doc to sign for 3 years.

3. Chris.I

November 12, 2009 at 12:21 pm

I don’t understand why Amaro isn’t pushing for Dan Uggla…I know he’s a 2B but he would adjust real well here in Philly, and we could use his pop at the plate

4. Sean P.

November 12, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Love Polanco… to bad he wasn’t willing to switch to 3rd when we had him. Like Adrian Beltre much better, he’s comign off a poor season and could probably get him pretty cheap.

5. Ed R.

November 12, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Chris, Uggla is awful defensively at 2B, and was worse at 3B in the minors. He also strikes out a ton and we have enough of that on the team now. I would sooner take Pedro back at 50% than Uggla.

6. Sean P.

November 12, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Uggla would never fit in with this team… Great offensive player, but just wouldn’t fit in defensively with the two time defending NL champs.

7. Don M

November 12, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Uggla hit for a lower average (.243 vs .266), and had only 8 more RBIs than Feliz …despite batting 5th-6th for the year .. compard to Feliz batting mostly 7th

a lot more HRs, and a lot more Runs Scored

but he sucks defensively..

No chance the Phillies pursue Uggla, because he wouldn’t make this team better than Feliz

8. beta sigma shag

November 12, 2009 at 12:59 pm

defense is the key to the Phillies 3rd baseman. We have enough pop in the line up, and average hitter will become slightly above average hitting 7th or 8th in this line up. That is why Peter Happy at 3.5 mil or 4 mil. would be best, and pick up DeRosa or Polanco as utility guy, they both can play almost anywhere on the infield, except first. Polanco is not a grear 3rd baseman but to spell someone (Pedro) once a week would be fine with me. But you defitly do not want to give up Defense at 3rd with this line up. Especially with the solid infied we have now

9. Malcolm

November 12, 2009 at 1:28 pm

The best option at third base for the Phillies is Adrian Beltre. Two time gold glove winner with the real kind of right handed power that would be perfect for Citizen’s Bank Park. He’s also only 30. Park needs to be re-signed as a reliever so he can know his role coming out in the beginning of the season. We need him out of the bullpen, he knows that.

10. Jeff of Nova

November 12, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Polanco will not sign unless he is starting at 3rd. He is a gold glover at 2nd and could make a decent salary and sign with a team that will contend to play 2nd.

Beltre is a good option but nervous about his injuries. We have no one behind him. I would love Beltre and DeRosa that would be tough on money.

not sure what they will do should be interesting.

11. NickFromGermantown

November 12, 2009 at 1:51 pm

No offense, but given the Phillies options, signing Uggla from free agency, much less TRADING for Uggla makes little sense. If anything we need the anti-Uggla. We need a good fielder and a someone with a high OBP to get on base and start rallies before our sluggers get up to bat.

November 12, 2009 at 2:18 pm

I think that the only guys in FA that would be an overall upgrade over Feliz are Figgins and Beltre.

13. George

November 12, 2009 at 2:30 pm

I agree with Manny on Figgins and Beltre being the only real upgrades. Beltre, however, has injury issues. Figgins would involve a drastic–maybe TOO drastic–lineup change. Perhaps a trade might be in order, instead.

Amaro has said that Park has not indicated to him that he only wants to start.

I’m wondering when the bullpen and bench will be addressed.

14. Ed R.

November 12, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Well no one can sign until I think the 15th? Or maybe its the 20th? I think right now teams priorities are the big holes, and although the bench may be one for the Phillies, they are clearly more concerned with 3B, the bullpen and possibly starting pitching.

15. The Original Chuck P

November 12, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Adding Beltre would make our lineup comparable to any AL lineup… if we can’t afford to have a one trick pony on our bench, we need to bolster our position guys… go get him.

16. Ed R.

November 12, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I agree Chuck P. I think Beltre makes the most sense in that he adds that 2nd right handed power bat that the team needs. Plays gold glove defense and is 30 years old. Oh and he will be cheaper than Figgins. And Beltre is not asking for a 5 year deal which Figgins is.

Don’t get me wrong, Figgins is good, but I don’t think he is the answer for this team. He is a great lead off hitter, can steal bases and plays solid defense but he is 4 years older than Beltre and will cost 3-4 mil more than Beltre. He will also require the team to change it’s line up, somewhat significantly.

Everything I read seems to indicate that the Phillies are the front runners to land Figgins, one source said it was pretty much going to happen. If it does, I certainly won’t be annoyed about it, and I will give it time to see how it goes but I really think Beltre is the best option. I like DeRosa but he is not a starter, not on any team in baseball. He is a super utility players.

Save the cash for the pitchers. We need another solid starter. Doesn’t have to be Halladay but it does have to be someone good. Batting can get you to the playoffs but pitching win’s you the World Series. You can say that the Phillies would have won if their batters weren’t all asleep at the wheel during the Series but my response is that good pitching, which the Yankees had is what makes good hitters look bad. The Phillie’s hitters were not all that great in the Series last year but their pitching was stellar and that is why they won the World Series. This team needs another pitcher besides just Lee and Hamels. Don’t forget, Lee went well above his career norms this year, he may suffer a fate somewhat similar to what Hamels went through this year. I don’t think he will but he could.

17. james

November 12, 2009 at 3:06 pm

what would adrian beltre command on the free agent market??? He could be a tremendous addition to the lineup.

I also like polanco and figgins as top of the order options as well

18. mikeB

November 12, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Polanco was with the Phils at one time and now they are interested in maybe bringing him back? The age of some of these guys worries me. Should get a third baseman who is younger and not in the downside of his career. I know that Polanco will be looking to start but him and Derosa are getting to the age where they should be signed as players who would fill in once in a while to give other guys a rest and pinch hitters off of the bench. I like Beltre for third base. Best fit for the best price and he is just 30 years old.

19. Don M

November 12, 2009 at 4:00 pm

I know that the website has to make money and all… but while reading this, right now there is a banner-Ad on the left side of this page

Advertising:

22kt gold
    Yankees Card

World Series Champions
    with Mariano Rivera

….
    Please… unless they are paying you double your normal advertising fees.. can we remove the Ad for the team that just beat us in the World Series??

20. Ed R.

November 12, 2009 at 4:01 pm

James this is a total guess on my part but I would think 5-7 mil a year for Beltre is reasonable.

21. Tracey

November 12, 2009 at 4:12 pm

I liked Polanco a lot when he was with the Phils. We used to look forward to Bell’s annual trip to the DL so Polanco could get more work instead of platooning.

As for Wagner: thanks but no thanks. I don’t care how good he is, I don’t want him around. This city showed him nothing but love, even after he spent most of his highly-paid first season on the DL, and he dissed us as soon as he left town. Rot in hell, buddy. You won’t get any rally towel action from me.

November 12, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Woah. Beltre made $13.4M this year. Unless he’s willing to take a big cut (say, play for us for $6-8M a year), I think we should get Feliz back in a Phillies jersey for $4M or whatever. He’s an upgrade, but not THAT much.

Chone Figgins made $5.7M and I think we could get him for under $10M per year. A career .291 hitter, yes please. Now that’s a huge upgrade over Feliz.

Anyway, my point is: if it’s between an $8M Beltre and a $10M Figgins… you gotta go with Figgins. If it’s between an $9M Beltre and a $4M Feliz, you gotta go with Feliz!

November 12, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Being an armchair GM is fun! /rollseyes

24. Jack

November 12, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Manny… are u saying you would take another top of the order guy with very little power Figgins) over a right handed power bat (Beltre) for realistically the same price? I like Feliz a lot, but all joking aside, Beltre is 1)younger 2)more power (which we lack from teh right side) 3) and is just as good defnsively.

I dont understand why we would over spend for Figgins when he is almost of mirror of Victorino.

November 12, 2009 at 4:58 pm

I just think Figgins is the better player… but you’re right, Beltre fits our current needs better…. The thing is, I’m not that familiar with Beltre and I don’t get that feeling that he is so-damn-good from looking over his stats.

26. erod

November 12, 2009 at 5:04 pm

what does everyone think about the rumored trade of cole hamels and a package to the jays for halladay

27. Don M

November 12, 2009 at 5:12 pm

I think Beltre got that contract in a year after he hit 48 HRs and won a Gold Glove..

I would be surprised if anyone commits more than 3 years, or $20 M to him

28. Don M

November 12, 2009 at 5:15 pm

I think the age of the internet and blogs must SUCK for GM’s

There was never any chance that Hamels would be traded for Roy Halladay… but Amaro has to sit there and answer questions, based mostly on internet rumors and Sports Radio call-in talk

Hamels won’t be traded for having an “average” year.. he’s 25 years old, with more talent in his Left-Arm than almost any other pitcher in baseball

Cliff Lee, Johan Santana, … what other LHP would you rather have than Hamels??

He’ll def rebound with a nice season next year!

29. Mark B

November 12, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Don M, I think you’re absolutely right about Hamels. 7 or 8 years of Hamels, very possibly, vs. 1 year of Halladay, very possibly. The chances of a trade were less than zero, if that’s possible.

30. The Original Chuck P

November 12, 2009 at 5:59 pm

You don’t trade proven young lefthanders who are under contract… big mistake. We’ve got Hamels for two more years; 2010 and 2011… he’s a Free Agent in 2012 and we’ll worry about that when the time comes. For right now, he’s as good as you’re gonna get for $6.65 million (2010 salary). If you’re going to trade anyone, it would have to be Happ/May/Drabek. If we were going to trade Happ, it would have already happened. Drabek is off-limits, says Amaro. That leaves May. I say, offer ’em May and Taylor and D’Arnaud for Halladay and see if they bite.

31. Ed R.

November 12, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Trust me, Beltre will take a pay cut. Just because he made more due to a contract signed 5 years ago doesn’t mean his next contract will be for more money. I.E – Pat Burrell’s contract with the Rays or Abreau’s contract with the Angels. Right now the market is bad unless you are elite, which Beltre is not. Not to mention there are other 3B options out there. If Beltre was the only guy available he might get 10 mil but I very seriously doubt he will get that. If you can get him for 7 mil or so I would go after him big time. If he wants any more than that then I would just resign Feliz.

32. Kennedy

November 12, 2009 at 9:49 pm

1. Sign Figgins
    2. Switch J-Rol to 7 hole
    3. Score lots of runs
    4. ???
    5. Profit

33. Dave

November 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm

It’s nice to dream but I don’t think we can get Halliday unless he really wants to play in Philly. I heard that both the NYY and BoSox are the leaders right now. There are other pitchers that are available that will be good enough and cost a lot less. The Phils need to handle the BP first, that extends a lot of flexibility to the pitching staff. Figgy would be a great pickup. The Phils don’t have to have Halladay to win the WS but they need Cole to be much better and one more deep inning starter, that coupled with a solid BP will get it done. I don’t think we need more power, that’s why Figgins is the best fit other than $ wise. Love this stuff, keeps the addiction fed.

34. Tim

November 12, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Garrett Atkins. Had a bad year in 09, reuniting him with his best friend and college teammate Utley will bring him back to his high caliber ways.
    Big right handed bat and solid defender. Playing at Citizens Bank will only increase his numbers.
    Should be waived by Colorado in a few weeks. Would be able to him on the cheap.

35. mikeB

November 13, 2009 at 2:37 am

Atkins would be a good pick up if the Phils had faith that he could revert back to his offensive form of two or three years ago. He had a way, way off year this past season but then too, he did not play in over 30 games and was injured for a part of the season. Is only 30, 31 years of age and still in his prime. Would be a good signing risk. If he can come back offensively, could add more punch and production to the latter part of the batting order.

36. Don M

November 13, 2009 at 9:13 am

Baseball has guaranteed contracts… so what is Atkins’ contract situation right now?

just looked it up that Atkins is Arbitration Eligable for this season… and then becomes a Free Agent

Last year he made $7 Million…

37. steveo

November 13, 2009 at 9:44 am

Don’t mess with the chemistry. Feliz plays solid defense and good pop on his bat from the right side and also led the team in batting avg with RISP.
    Just resign Feliz and concentrate energy on gettint DeRosa as a utilty guy and some BP help…Lackey would be nice to, but can’t see them going after him. They need to sign Lee to a multi year deal.

38. Geoff

November 13, 2009 at 10:34 am

Atkins will be non-tendered or released before too long. Then hell be signed for cheaper than his arbitration situation.

39. Geoff

November 13, 2009 at 10:35 am

Feliz also didnt listen to the hitting instructor, and the manager did not like that.

40. Geoff

November 13, 2009 at 10:44 am

Can we stop talking about Roy Hallday. I sincerely doubt they will trade for him. They should trade for some RH starting pitcher, but I would rather spread that money around to meet MORE THAN ONE need as opposed to bringing in a guy who makes all that money and IS GOING TO LEAVE after the season. Lee is our man, give him the contract extension, then bring in someone to add depth to the rotation.

41. Don M

November 13, 2009 at 10:55 am

Geoff, where did you hear that about Feliz?

According to Jayson Stark last night on 97.5 fm, Cliff Lee is going to be seeking AT LEAST 5 YEARS… and his agent will be looking for a contract similar to that of C.C. Sabathia

Halladay, on the other hand, will be older.. and therefore can’t realistically expect more than a 3-4 year contract

Stark also stated that getting traded to the Phillies last year was Halladay’s DREAM SCENARIO .. as he lives just outside of Clearwater.. and wants to remain on the East Coast

So a trade for Halladay seems unlikely.. but not defintely out of the picture..

An extension for Lee seems very unlikely.. while the acquisition of Halladay as a Free Agent seems to make more sense (the ability to get Roy Halladay, and maintain your young core of Kyle Drabek, and Domonic Brown)

42. Geoff

November 13, 2009 at 11:05 am

Well, if they end up with both Halladay and Lee they MUST lock up one of them. You wanna get him? fine, just done allow one of them to leave this city after next season, and offer the other one arbitration to ensure we get the draft picks for compensation.

43. Don M

November 13, 2009 at 11:26 am

The problem is though…

do you want to WIN NOW?? Yes.. we all do..

But after Chase Utley.. not a single player is signed past 2012 ..

So who are we going to field a team with if the top Pitching and Position prospects are traded..

I think the Phillies like their chances again in the NL (depending on the bullpen).. so I can’t see us trading for Halladay at the expense of those two players

MAYBE at the trade-deadline, but other teams might be more willing to push for a rental at that point too ..

I don’t envy Ruben Amaro’s position right now

44. Geoff

November 13, 2009 at 11:36 am

I would trade for a good RH starting pitcher. Someone solid who can hold down their spot for a season. Maybe younger and under team control for a few more years. Id be willing to pay a little more up front for someone like that actually. Because if Drabek is for real he will FORCE his way into the rotation when he is ready.

45. Don M

November 13, 2009 at 11:42 am

I just read the list of possible non-tenders (guys who will not be offered a contract, and thus become free-agents)

Pitchers on the list include:

John Maine from the Mets (though unlikely)
    Chien Ming-Wang from the Yankees

either of those guys would make for a great #5, at least on paper

46. Geoff

November 13, 2009 at 11:49 am

Wang is a sinkerball pitcher, I feel he would be a GREAT cheap pickup in CBP. He needs a change of scenery AND I feel that he could be had for MAD cheap. If he can stay healthy hes a good pitcher. He DID have back to back 18 win seasons a few years ago.

47. Geoff

November 13, 2009 at 11:51 am

I would sign Wang, maybe sign another potential depth starter for cheap to provide competition. Then use the money to go after a Plan B closer, Figgins or Beltre, and bullpen depth, and bench help.

48. Geoff

November 13, 2009 at 11:56 am

Theres definitely depth value out there for back-end starters.

49. Don M

November 13, 2009 at 12:07 pm

The one thing I read about Wang though is that with his endorsement-market in Taiwan, him playing in NY was bringing him lots of money, etc..

So he would maybe sign with the Yankees for a cheaper deal, because he would actually make more money based on those endorsements..

Remember people talking about trading for Wang a few years ago..

He would be worth a shot though, sinkerball pitcher in this ballpark..

50. bfo_33

November 13, 2009 at 12:14 pm

While the bullpen is a critical part of the team, the only predictable arm is the closer (hopefully Lidge is fixed). After closer, the greatest single factor in a bullpen is the starting pitching. All the experts at the 4 letter network agreed that the Mets had the best bullpen in the NL last year. When Santana was the only starter who went more than 6 innings, all their arms fell off (didn’t help that their offense imploded).
    Get a durable right handed starter – doesn’t have to be a super star (although I’d love Halladay IF he’d agree to an extension up front), but someone who can go 7 innings consistently – maybe Kendrick is back. Then throw a bunch of available cheap arms in the pen, figure it out as you go. Maybe Myers will sign cheap as an insurance closer/bullpen guy. Wouldn’t spend much time worrying about it.
    I’d also rather go with Pedro 1 more year, look for the 3rd baseman of the future (maybe a prospect to prospect trade), then get a bench infielder that has enough of a bat to start 40 games a year at 3rd, 2nd, ss, and can pinch hit from the right.

51. shag beta sigma delta

November 13, 2009 at 1:43 pm

IMO Wong might be all done, these guys pitch a bunch of innings in Japan before they get over here. And Maine really, I don’t think so. As far as Pedro, I know I did not like the signing last year and he proved me wrong. But I do not think he has a full year in him, pitching every 5th day. He lost some velocity on 4 days rest this year. Maybe he was not in shape to start pitching when he did. But I just do not trust he would hold up for a full year.

52. Geoff

November 13, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Pedro is gone. He left SO fast after they lost that it made it really obvious hes outta here.

53. Georgie

November 13, 2009 at 2:54 pm

That was weird the way that went down so fast, but I still think Pedro might re-sign. I like the idea of signing Polanco, I checked his stats (which I don’t do very often, obviously) and he can play 2b,3b,ss, and has even played 1st a little. Now you have a guy who can relieve Pedro, Jimmy, or Chase on a regular basis, he can hit, he’s a great clubhouse guy, and he’s been here before. What I’m not sure of is, and you guys should know this, can a player move around the different infield positions and still be sharp defensively at each? Also, does he still want to play a fulltime position, he is getting up there in age, right?
    Sorry about the PP obsession, but I hated it when they had to let him go, I think he’d fit in just fine for a year or two until we get a good young 3rd baseman.

54. Don M

November 13, 2009 at 3:02 pm

He doesn’t play SS… and how do we know he can play 3b ???

so to say that he’s a guy that can relieve anyone except Utley is a stretch..

Polanco is 33, 34? .. and made $6 M last year

so you could probably get him for 2 years, and $10 M … but he would bat 2nd,
    forcing Victorino to #7 in the lineup

Im not sure what the hell they are going to do at 3b.. and I don’t think they know yet either

55. Geoff

November 13, 2009 at 3:11 pm

They have a lot of options at 3B. Polanco, eh. Hed be good but I want someone younger who can buy us time to find a 3B of the future. I thought that was the purpose of signing Pedro Feliz, but they did not follow through and get someone. It has definitely been a blind spot in their farm system for years now.

56. Georgie

November 13, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Well, Don , according to baseballref.com, Polanco played 122 games at ss, and 322 games at 3rd, so I guess he CAN play those positions. Granted, alot of those games were earlier in his career, so maybe that’s a factor, BUT, just givin’ you the stats, Mr. Stats Man…

57. Don M

November 13, 2009 at 3:14 pm

To their defense… there hasn’t been any 3b on the trade market.. except rumors for Garret Atkins, and Hank Blalock

58. Don M

November 13, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Playing games at shortstop in 1994, doesn’t mean that you could play there in 2010

Also, if they sign Polanco (or anyone that costs more than $2 M per season).. that player would be viewed as a starter

Polanco wouldn’t be signed to be a utility player, because he’s a Gold Glove 2b… he would actually be a great fit with the Dodgers

59. Don M

November 13, 2009 at 3:20 pm

I wasn’t/ I am not trying to come across as a smart-a$$ here either.. I know it sounds like that..

I’m not questioning Georgie specifically.. just the Polanco idea in general

3b requires:
    Soft hands (Polanco? Check)
    Great reactions (Polanco?)
    and a strong throwing arm (Polanco?)

Golf requires:
    Goofy Pants, and fat ass.. you should talk to my neighbor, the accountant. Probably a GREAT golfer….HUGE ass

60. Georgie

November 13, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Except for that Rocco dude who almost beat Tiger the other year at that big tourny (sorry, not a golf fan), he had a nice butt, if I recall, and he dressed rather swave and deboner.

61. Geoff

November 13, 2009 at 3:45 pm

You said boner

62. Georgie

November 13, 2009 at 4:01 pm

haha, I used that phrase on a friend’s fb page, and they deleted it. I guess the guys at work dubbed me “potty mouth” for a reason!!

63. Geoff

November 13, 2009 at 4:12 pm

haha

64. psujoe

November 13, 2009 at 4:36 pm

I keep coming back to Kouzmanoff. I don’t think it would take much and the Phils would get a pretty good cheap 3b for years. He hits 30 points higher than Feliz and much more power against Lefties(which the Phils need). He could probably hit 25-30 hrs at CBP. That extra 4+ million could be used on pitching.

65. Don M

November 13, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Yea but Kouzmanoff is like one of a handful of players that help the Padres win any games at all

and since he’s cheap, its not like they’ll use the “We can lose 100 games with him, so we can lose 100 games without him too”

I would be surprised to see him traded