Carlos Ruiz Signs – Phillies Nation
Arbitration

Carlos Ruiz Signs

Originally posted Jan. 23 at 12:44 p.m.

According to a source close to Phillies Nation, the Phillies and catcher Carlos Ruiz have agreed on a contract. Ruiz, who turned 31 yesterday, enjoyed a breakout season in 2009, posting career highs in on-base percentage (.355), slugging percentage (.425) and OPS (.780).

Some advanced metrics also favor Ruiz defensively, as he is among the top 10 catchers in runs saved over the past three seasons. Had he and the Phils gone to arbitration, Ruiz was seeking $2.5 million, while the team offered $1.7 million. While it is currently unknown whether the deal is for one year or multiple years, it is widely believed that Ruiz was the one arbitration-eligible player most in need of a multi-year deal, given the lack of advanced catching prospects following the trading of Lou Marson and Travis d’Arnaud.

UPDATE, 3:15 pm: The Carlos Ruiz signing has become official according to a press release from the Phillies.  It is indeed 3-years, $8.85 million, however, the yearly breakdown has not been announced.  The fourth year of the deal is an option for $5 million with a $500K buyout.

1. WFC010

January 23, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Although I have had mixed feelings about extending Blanton and Victorino, I have to say that I completely agree with this deal for Carlos Ruiz. Even at 2.5 million, Carlos would be a steal for the great defense, and surprisingly clutch hits which have made him such a popular player with the fans.

2. Chuck

January 23, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Ok…we got the arb. guys out of the way….so now let’s focus on getting Jayson an extension!

3. WFC010

January 23, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I completely agree with ya, Chuck!

Let’s hope something gets worked out, and soon!

4. psujoe

January 23, 2010 at 1:54 pm

choooooooooch.

Good work Rube.

5. Jeff of Nova

January 23, 2010 at 2:02 pm

how about a 3 year exstension for Werth around 3/30mil back ended

6. jrollpatrol08

January 23, 2010 at 2:08 pm

id rather pay howard 25mil for 4 years. let werth walk. he is a great addition to this team but it isnt feasible to keep both these guys. i guess we ‘ll see how the phils play it out…if they re-sign werth to multiple years, no matter the avg cost per year, i cannot see them having close to enough money to give howard a new contract…theres just not enough money

7. psujoe

January 23, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Werth is going to want more than the Phils are paying Ibanez. 3/39 might get it done, but that’s no lock.

8. Paul Boye

January 23, 2010 at 2:33 pm

jroll,

That might not be such a bad thing. Trust me, you won’t want to be paying Ryan Howard $25M a year for his age 32-36 seasons. His production – when it does start to decline – will go FAST. See David Ortiz.

9. WorldFudgeChamp

January 23, 2010 at 2:56 pm

i say keep ryan, and werth and get rid of Ibanez. Ibanez is great for the first half of last year. I mean which Ibanez are we going to see in 2010? First half or second half. And also his age to. But the longer we keep this core of players the longer we can win games. Because we are at the height of this team. Once when they leave, it would end. And i think everyone likes winning now.

10. psujoe

January 23, 2010 at 3:03 pm

WFC,

I agree. Ibanez 11.5 mil is replaced by Browns peanuts. Give 6 of that to werth(from 7 to 13) and 4 to Howard(from 20 to 24. Net neutrel on money and you have Brown, Vic and Werth.

11. Jenny Kropf

January 23, 2010 at 3:06 pm

with the amount they gave blanton…Im pissed….I like blanton, don’t get me wrong…..however……Ruiz is worth more in my opinion…..I love his personality, his passion for the game and the team…..RUIZ….KEEP ROCK N….this fan loves you……

12. joe

January 23, 2010 at 3:48 pm

You do not let Werth walk, I would rather see Howard walk, Howard is not worth 25 million, 20 million a season 15-16 tops.

13. The Second John

January 23, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Wow, Amaro is great at settling deals with players before they go to arbitration.

14. Andrew

January 23, 2010 at 4:16 pm

team MVP and best player on the team

Regarding the original post. If he established career highs in on base percentage and slugging percentage isn’t it a given he would set a career high in on base plus slugging percentage.

15. Andrew

January 23, 2010 at 4:18 pm

People wrap your heads around werth leaving. Like Rowand.
    As for Howard I see the side of possibly letting him go. He IS great. es done everything we could want. But 1b is expected to put up numbers. Being 4th in our line up and hitting in our park is very advantageous to putting up numbers. If he left and someone came in for 10 mil less a year and hit 325 with 40 homers and 150 rbi is that a bad thing? That said I hope he stays and we sign him. Just a thought.

16. Bobby

January 23, 2010 at 4:21 pm

By the way, with all the talk on extending Werth I haven’t seen it mentioned that there will be around 10 million off the payroll when Werth can be a free agent assuming Moyer leaves/retires. Moyer 8m, Jenkins 1.25, Eaton 500k and Feliz’s 500k buyout if you want to count that.

Really happy we extended Ruiz.

17. MikeB.

January 23, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I think that the Phillies are going to wait and see what kind of a year Werth puts up this year and go from there late in the season or after the season. Ibanez will probably be replaced by Brown in 2011. Would be interesting to see what Ben Francisco could do over a full season playing regularly. The guy is a good baseball player.

18. old grandad

January 23, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I wonder what yopu guys will say when Werth and Howard come back to Philly in Mets uniforms. Even Omar isn’t too dumb to sign those two.

19. Paul Boye

January 23, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I’ve heard that suggestion before, grandad, and I’ll tell you that I don’t think it’s too far-fetched for Howard to join them. They’ll just spendspendspend if they think they have a good fit on the market.

20. mikemike

January 23, 2010 at 5:52 pm

If howard leaves he will be either a yankee or red sox?

21. mikemike

January 23, 2010 at 5:53 pm

I cant believe people saying werth would take 10 million for 4 years now way start at 16 a year at least.

22. Chris.I

January 23, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Keep Werth over Howard? REALLY? I mean c’mon now! Listen to yourselves. Let me ask you all a question…Where would the Phils be right now if there was no Howard? Howard resurrected this team. Your talking about his numbers declining? Dude, if this man stays healthy his entire career, he will give you 40+ homeruns a season (I can see him average 45) throughtout his career. Werth has ONE breakout year and now you want to let your teams (IMO Best power hitter this team ever had and prob one of the best MLB has ever seen) let him go to sign Werth? Come on now!

23. Chuck

January 23, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I don’t know about $16….somewhere 13-15 might do it. Four years with an option year.

24. Paul Boye

January 23, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Chris,

A lot depends on 2010, for sure, for both Werth and Howard. What Ryan Howard does is very nice, but it’s not going to be worth whatever contract he gets in two years. For a few reasons. But that’s really for another time and post that I’ll get to in the future. This post is about Chooch.

25. The Dipsy

January 23, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Tell Jason that you’ll tear his contract up and give him four years, starting this year, at 4/45.

The Dipsy

26. Chuck

January 23, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I really have a feeling that it’s gonna take more than 4/45…

I think unless you’re somewhere in the 50-60 GUARANTEED range…for 4 years…then he says no.

Why insult him right from the beginning??

Remember…he..and his agent…already have those Bay and Holliday contracts as benchmarks..

Not that he should get Bay or Holliday money…I’m not saying that.. But 4/45 is a LONG WAY OFF from what Bay and Holliday are getting.

27. Chuck

January 23, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Of course I’m looking at it from starting in 2011…you said starting THIS year…

So he’s making…what?….7 this year…so that’s 38 for the next three…almost 13 per season…I don’t know…maybe??

28. psujoe

January 23, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Why not 3/39 with a mutual option for 13 million in year 4 with a 2 mil buyout?

29. The Dipsy

January 23, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Bay and Holliday have been doing it for years. Werth doesn’t have the track record. If you sign him now, he gets a three million dollar raise for this year, which he might like. He’s not worth Bay or Holliday money and I think he should know that.

The Dipsy

30. Chuck

January 23, 2010 at 6:25 pm

psujoe….I sure like that deal….I just don’t know what Jayson’s gonna want…it’s about the guaranteed part…and I’m sure that the Red Sox would guarantee a whole lot more..

31. Chuck

January 23, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Except that he has the same skills…if not better….Bay is just “OK” defensively…

32. The Second John

January 23, 2010 at 7:48 pm

The thing about Jayson Werth is that he’s right handed. We have no replacements for him in the organization. Domonic Brown is left handed, and he is taking over Ibanez. Werth is one player we have to have.

I would defenitely go to Werth if I had to choose between Werth and Howard. Someteam like the Red Sox are going to overpay him vastly. Jayson Werth will be much cheaper.

33. Ed R.

January 23, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Personally I think resigning is a must. Absolute must. Honestly, I think he might be the most important guy in the lineup. He hits 5th, behind Howard. Provides the kind of protection that made the due of Manny and Ortiz as successful as it was. Granted, Howard was good with Burrell behind him but if Werth leaves then what do you do? 3 lefties in a row? Utley, Howard, Ibanez? Or do you move J-Roll to the 5 hole? Werth also plays great defense, is smart and quick on the base paths. He is the most important player on the team, even if he isn’t the best player on the team. The Phillies can afford to resign him only if Ibanez is traded for prospects. And even then its not a guarantee as the Phillies will have about 130 mil locked into only about half the roster. That is a lot of holes to fill.

Listening to Amaro yesterday it pretty much sounded to me like he does not think or expect to resign Werth. I think he almost said as much and I think he wants us to know that. I am not saying I disagree with what he is saying. He is right. You can’t have a roster filled with 15 mil guys. It sucks, but it’s reality. If Jayson does go, I just pray to God it’s not the Mets.

34. Brian Sr. of CO

January 24, 2010 at 4:39 am

I am REALLY surprised that only one person talked about the money that will not be going into other contracts, i.e Moyer after 2010, and Ibanez after 2011. I dont think it is too far fetched that the Phillies will be able to afford Werth with Moyer gone after 2010, and a backended deal with incentives that kick in after the 1st or 2nd year (after Ibanez is gone). They already have been talking about Brown taking over for Ibanez in Left. I think the Phillies now are in the business of getting place holders for cheap (see Contreras which I dont think is a horrible deal honestly) which could keep some money free for Werth, Howard could be a problem. I like Howard and all, and he has helped put this team back on the map, but he is going to demand a crap load of money. He will want to see what Pujols gets and want to get close to that. I didnt take the comment about having a roster full of $15 mill guys a comment about Werth honestly as much as it was for Howard. Howard is sitting at about 19 Mill right now, he will probably want 25 at least for his next contract, I wouldnt be surprised if Howard walks, and Werth stays. Werth is about 7Mill right now, 13-14 Mil probably isnt completely unrealistic for the Phillies to afford with some of the other older players leaving (Moyer and Ibanez) if they back end it. Also if J-Roll doesnt re-sign after the club option for 2012 was it? It just seems to be a back ended deal for Werth would start at about 13 Mil, increasing with years, but Howard would start no less than 20 probably more likely 25Mil. But like Ed R, I pray it isnt the Mets.

35. mikemike

January 24, 2010 at 8:03 am

Dipsy look at his numbers and Hollidays he is worth the money if he has the same type year, Holliday has average over him, but power, speed, arm, defense, all in Werth favor, but its true he only had 1.5 years, That;s why I couldn’t understand the Holliday contract . with pujious in the wings to pay that kind of money to Holliday was nuts, plus he dropped the fly ball to lose the playoff game for you. Holliday isnt worth that kind of money, but that bad contract will be good for Werth , as I have stated the differnce in average is 20 hits in a season, Everything I have read has said they couldn’t understand the Cardinals paying him that much especially since no one was offering him anything near what the cards were/

36. Chuck

January 24, 2010 at 8:29 am

You HAVE to look at the Holliday and Bay contracts as benchmarks…points of comparison. You could back-end a deal for Jayson…but the money…in total is gonna have to be there….and I really think years too..

I really think that Werth is gonna want NO LESS than four guaranteed years…with an option year.. Bay got fout and Holliday more than that, right?

Brian Sr… you are right about the $$ falling off on other contracts..Moyer, Ibanez (after 2011…unless he dealt), Lidge after 2012., others..

I hope Amaro tries to get this Jayson thing done sooner rather than later

37. Ed R.

January 24, 2010 at 9:26 am

I mentioned this in another thread but the money that comes off the books with Moyer’s contract ending next year is pretty much all eaten up by raises going to Howard, Hamels and then whatever is worked out in arbitration with Francisco and Happ. Again, the only way this can get done is if the team heavily back loads Werth’s contract. Or, if they are lucky, trade Ibanez, then you can possibly afford to resign Werth.

38. Jesus

January 24, 2010 at 9:44 am

From what I can see on Cot’s, the Phils will have 130 million tied up next year already not including any Arb’s or any numbers for Ruiz’ contract if he signed a multi-year deal. I would think the Phils would have to go to 150 million budget in order to be able to sign Werth. That might not be that much of a long shot. We might be able to keep Werth depending on how much he would be willing to sign for. If he will take 13-14 mill/yr I think it’s manageable. After the 2011 season is where things will get extremely tough for RAJ.

39. Chuck

January 24, 2010 at 9:45 am

Bingo, Ed.

40. The Dipsy

January 24, 2010 at 9:59 am

The Phillies will absolutely increase their budget for next year. They have too. And I think 150m would be the low end. I think that even Chuck will agree that you cannot compete in a league of escalating salaries with a stay put or shrinking payroll. I think they will go 160. And honestly, I think they’ll sign Howard AND Werth as long as Werth isn’t looking for crazy money. I think that if you really wanna lock Jason down, offer him a 3/36 extension. Its generous but not extravagant. It should make him happy.

The Dipsy

41. Chuck

January 24, 2010 at 10:49 am

Yes, Dipsy…I would agree with that. As long as payroll increases at a REASONABLE rate…then you can still compete …AND….keep prices in line..

Look…I don’t mind going to the ballpark and paying a little more for a ticket…and everything else…as long as it isn’t this HUGE jump right away…

If I’m paying $40 or $50 for a ticket…and I was told that in order to continue to seeing a competitive team…a team that included guys like Werth and/or Howard…if I’m told that that ticket was going to increase $5 or so…then yeah, I’ll gladly pay that.

It’s when you raise things so much…all…at once…that’s what I don’t want to see.

So, yeah….$150mil+…that would make sesne..something like a 10% increase..

42. Chuck

January 24, 2010 at 10:51 am

And Dipsy…I still think you have to guarantee Jayson FOUR years…AFTER this year.. Just my opinion.

43. NJ

January 24, 2010 at 10:58 am

Werth is gone, the Bay contract signaled it and the Victorino deal sealed it. 3/36 isn’t extravagant considering Bay may be the premier outfielder on the market who’ll be in pretty much the same situation as Bay was with less concerns. He’s a power threat in any ballpark, with plus base running and plus defense as well and now he’s not an injury worry he’ll go into free agency having played about 150 games less than Bay. Unless the market completely collapses 66/4 is going to be a very reasonable figure and he could very well have a far superior market to Bay. I’d LOVE to see Bay stay in Philly, he’s a very good player but like the Lee deal, RAJ has made a preemptive move to lock Victorino up under market value instead of having to bid twice as much plus additional years for Werth. If Werth is willing to stay I’m sure the Phils will pony up but $36m is going to be half what his agent will expect on the open market.

With Chooch I’m thrilled to see him reach what was expected of him coming into the big-leagues but the Phillies have to be wise when offering him a multi-year deal. It would be good to have him locked up through the same amount of time as the core but long-term contracts for catchers can look very bad very quickly…

44. Chuck

January 24, 2010 at 11:00 am

Here’s another thought , too… If the Phillies went to Werth and said “Look, we’re gonna extend Howard too…We want BOTH of you here.” …

…I would think that Jayson might think about that and be more likely to stay…knowing that the CORE…him, Howrad, Utley, J-Roll, Vic, Halladay, Hamels, etc….were still gonna be here, too. I think he would be more likely to take less money for that scenario.

BUT…in order for that to happen…Werth AND Howard staying…tthe payroll would have to be AT LEAST 160…and I’m not sure the Phillies would want to do that…

So 160 …in my opinion…would have to be absolutely the ceiling…even that seems too high???…I don’t know.

45. mikemike

January 24, 2010 at 11:09 am

Why in the world would werth take less, he is a older player who is getting his first shot a free agency. He already has a ring. People make me laugh, How many of us would take 13 million for 5 years to stay here versue 16 for 5 to play somewhere else. take the money the owners do so after you have made a lot , yes you could take less to play for a winner, but jason is a late bloomer. So come on here and think he will sign cheap but it wont happen, plus this team needs to get some younger talent in here to slowly take over and keep contenting

46. Chuck

January 24, 2010 at 11:17 am

$13 million/5 years…that’s $65 million

$16 million/5 years…that’s $80 million

I think a lot of players would take the 65…to play for the winner…and the team they have been with and that gave them the shot in the first place.

That $15 mil difference isn’t an insult in any way, shape or form..

5/65 is NOT “signing cheap” at all

47. George

January 24, 2010 at 11:19 am

The Phils have some decent outfielders in the minors, but they don’t have a productive first baseman. A first baseman with Howard’s numbers is going to cost as much as Howard will, unless he comes from AAA, and the Phils don’t have anybody at 1st there with big numbers. This will definitely figure into the team’s thinking on Werth.

I also don’t think payroll can increase much, if at all. There’s a limit on how many times the stadium can sell out (81 games). The Phils nearly reached that last year.

Amaro is really in for it the next several offseasons, and we fans should expect changes in the team. We may not like them, but we’ll have to accept them.

48. NJ

January 24, 2010 at 11:24 am

When it comes to Howard the Phils will view John Singleton as a possible successor and you can find a 1st basemen if you have power elsewhere on the field, you don’t ‘need’ a 40 home run guy at that position. For Howard to gets his deal he needs to show a hell of a lot more presence at the plate because average pitchers carve him up for much of the year and looked terrible in the world series.

49. mikemike

January 24, 2010 at 11:33 am

Chuck show me players who in there first shot at free agency take 15 million less, second you live in a dream world to think playing for a winner when you are in contract negotiate for the first time is a factor. especially after you have won a title, this is Werth only shot at big money and he will take the most and I don’t blame him. Third you must deal with the players association when you take a lot less they will not want you to and put pressure on you to take the better deal, for the sake of other players, Nj I enjoy you comments but Singleton isnt even a thought right now to replace howard, he is a less than 100 at bats low minor league player let him do something first

50. Chuck

January 24, 2010 at 11:54 am

Using your example of 15 mil for 5 years…65 mil…that IS big money, mikemike.

51. NJ

January 24, 2010 at 11:54 am

mikemike I agree on Singleton, he’s only just put himself on the radar as a prospect let alone a legitimate one. I wouldn’t expect the Phils to have an advanced prospect visible yet though I’d expect a couple of guys to have been drafted or signed last year or to be drafted this coming draft viewed as a future James Loney/Joey Votto type but I doubt it’s a guy you’ll be able to put your finger on from day 1.

I’ll probably get slated for saying this but I’d much rather give a Bay deal plus an option year to Werth and move Howard for elite prospects down the road than let Werth walk and expect to sign Howard to a friendly deal. Though his power/RBI numbers will likely take him to Cooperstown I think Howard is far from establishing himself as one of the best players in the game, when he’s not in one of his red-hot streaks his bat control is poor and Werth though not the talent Howard is shows up with consistency in many more games over the course of a season.

That said I don’t see any way Werth doesn’t walk unless he’s given 5 years and I hope Howard starts working on his plate presence

52. Chuck

January 24, 2010 at 11:55 am

I’m sorry…not your example…mine…yours is 80…

My point is 65 mil is big money..

53. Chuck

January 24, 2010 at 12:00 pm

NJ…I absolutely agree with you about Werth vs Howard. I would MUCH rather maybe slightly “overpay” Werth” and let Howard walk..

It comes down to where is your dollar value??…$15mil+ for Werth…or $23-25 mil for Howard.??

I just don’t see that having Ryan Howard is $8-10 million more valuable…it’s just not there…

And if Howard’s here and Werth isn’t…I guarantee you Howard’s numbers go down…Werth behind him in the line-up as protection is HUGE for Howard.

54. Jesus

January 24, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I like Werth as much as the next guy but stop it with the Werth being Howard’s protection. Howard has put up ridiculous numbers regardless of who has batted behind him and please look up exactly how many times Werth actually batted behind him.

55. Chuck

January 24, 2010 at 3:51 pm

It’s a fact, Jesus.

56. Jesus

January 24, 2010 at 3:56 pm

So give me the facts then Chuck. Did Howard win a ROY, a MVP and come in 2nd in MVP voting without Werth batting behind him? Werth batted behind Howard less than 90 games last year. So using your way of thinking how much credit should Ibanez get for protecting Werth?

57. Pingback: Fire Eric Bruntlett » Blog Archive » Chooch Gets Cha-Ching’ed

58. Bob in Bucks

January 26, 2010 at 4:06 pm

For those of you counting on the money “saved” when Ibanez and others leave the payroll there are two problems:

1. You are not counting the increases built into the current agreements. Everyone goes up even if they signed the year before.

2. RAJ has a spreadsheet and already has spent a lot of that “saved” money (see #1).

For those of you spending the Phillies money – tell me how they increase revenue with a sold out park? Forget ticket prices – that is chump change. A $3 across the board increase in prices for an already sold out ballpark only grosses them $10 million. They need that just to cover the increases they are negotiating.

RAJ has said it, we can’t afford every player to be $15 million. Werth or Howard have to go.

59. mikemike

January 26, 2010 at 4:07 pm

How much you think chooch gets on the open market, I dont think a lot more than the phillies gave him, but maybe I am wrong

60. Chuck

January 26, 2010 at 4:21 pm

It seems to me like this was a good deal for both sides..

It was suggested a few days ago that the Phillies should sign Ruiz to a 5 year/20mil contract…to lock him up….

So this isn’t that far off.

I doubt Ruiz…on the open market …gets more than $4mil per season??

61. George

January 26, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Concerning the Werth/Howard debate: After 2010 Howard is already signed for 2011 and his pay will increase something like $1 million. Werth isn’t signed, and his pay could go up $6-7 million. I don’t think the team can afford that kind of increase.

The Ruiz signing is good. Even if another team wouldn’t pay much more if he hit the open market, the Phils couldn’t replace him for any less.

62. The Dipsy

January 26, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Bob in Bucks : merchandising, concessions, advertising. Yes, the ticket prices are chump change. What adds up is the $.25 more for every beer, hot dog, pretzel, etc., $2 extra for every hat, t-shirt, etc. What you pay for once you get INSIDE the stadium is where the Phils kill.

The Dipsy

January 26, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Don’t forget the $10 MILLION raise Roy Halladay will be getting after this season…

64. Chuck

January 26, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Werth is gone. We have to face it.

January 26, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I also think Werth will be gone after 2010.

You’d have Brown-Victorino-Raul for 2011. After that, who knows who might substitute Raul… perhaps Gose, especially if Brown develops some power…

It’s all up in the air..and will continue to be. A couple months ago, we all had Michael Taylor breaking in 2010…

I think that Howard is a player you HAVE to try to resign, even if he’s gonna be very expensive… he’s one of the faces of the franchise.. people buy his jerseys and shirts, they wear them all the time.. Not to mention that he’s arguably the best 1B in all MLB after Pujols. That being said, 2010 will be pivotal.. if Werth puts up even better numbers, and Howard shows ANY sign of decline, then things might change.