Posts

Happy Birthday Chooch!

http://www.shopmonalisa.com/images/BirthdayHatBoy.jpgA Happy Birthday goes out to Phillies backstop Carlos Ruiz, whose birthday is January 22, 1979.

A birthday gift will soon be arriving by way of American dollars, as Ruiz is slated to get a nice raise, either through arbitration or a new contract extension from the Phils.

Here’s to Chooch being around for a while!

1. Kevin from Macho Row

January 22, 2010 at 8:08 am

Since today is Ruiz’s birthday I think it would be appropriate for the Phillies to finalize a three year extension for him today as well.

2. Keith E

January 22, 2010 at 8:13 am

“Here’s to Chooch being around for a while!”
    I agree with that! Chooch looks to be a class act on and off the field and we would be wise to keep him around. He will get better with each passing year.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY SENOR OCTOBRE
    GO PHILS!!!

3. Mike S.

January 22, 2010 at 8:55 am

I agree with Keith, has clutch when it counts and if the Phillies were in their right mind they would keep him. Plus as time goes along he’ll develop into an even better player.

4. Jim S

January 22, 2010 at 9:04 am

I agree with all of you – how appropriate to sign Mr. Clutch on his birthday. He has proven his worth. Go Chooch!

5. Don M

January 22, 2010 at 9:29 am

I hope they lock him up for like 5 years.. not just 3

January 22, 2010 at 9:46 am

CHOOOOOOOCH!

7. jose

January 22, 2010 at 9:51 am

feliz cumpleanos que cumpla mucho dollares mas jajaja

8. Georgie

January 22, 2010 at 10:54 am

Happy Birthday Chooch! And here’s to a well-deserved extension and raise!

9. Bob in Bucks

January 22, 2010 at 11:20 am

A nice player but replaceable. I don’t have a problem with multi-year contract but let’s keep the money down.

10. Don M

January 22, 2010 at 11:35 am

replaceable with WHO?

Nobody close in the system… and Free Agent catchers are slim pickins

I think i said yesterday 5 years, $20 M … richest man in Panama

11. George

January 22, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Ruiz isn’t easily replaceable, but 5 years, $20 mil would be overdoing it.

January 22, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I agree… 5 years would be too much…

13. Don M

January 22, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Why not lock up a young, defensive minded catcher??

You sign every single player to 3 year deals… and in 3 years, you need a complete roster overhaul

14. Chuck

January 22, 2010 at 12:19 pm

$20 Million ….over 5 years…is a STEAL for someone with Ruiz’s abilities…

He reminds me so much of Pudge Rodriguez (without the power)…great catcher, call a good game (pitchers LOVE the guy), throws out runners, and can hit…at least enough…

15. Don M

January 22, 2010 at 12:30 pm

wow… I wouldn’t call him anything close to Pudge

but I think he’s worth $4 M per season over 5 years.

You have to make it worth his while to buy out arb + some free agent years… you get a locked in player, they get financial security

with Blanton and Vic inking deals around $7-8 M per season.. I think that would be a fair offer to Ruiz, since he doesn’t give much with the bat

16. SpankyYankee

January 22, 2010 at 12:47 pm

A strong backstop who handled Philly’s staff well, Ruiz didn’t improve at the plate, hitting 40 points lower — with less power — than he did as a rookie. Ruiz can’t afford to decline again with prospect Lou Marson seemingly ready for the majors. Look for the Phillies to give Ruiz one more season, they got him going at 476,000 this year and gonna give 3 and half times that and 3 years…don’t think so…more like 1.5 million take it or leave…he ain’t that good …the phils are cheap and don’t keep people around that are on the other side of 30 he’ll be there but 20 million over 5 years…hey if they do that good….he’s only gonna get worse.

How about Sarg helping his son out now he’s a MET….a met ….thats gonna be fun. The phillies could have kept Lee but didn’t… remember that this year.

17. Pat Gallen

January 22, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Yes, Lou Marson, coming up through the Indians system. He should be ready for the Phillies quite soon.

18. Chuck

January 22, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Yeah…ok….I’ll remember it…

Bozo.

19. Chuck

January 22, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I realize that Chooch isn’t even close to Pudge…as far as his numbers, etc are concerned..

He just reminds me of him ….his style of play…intensity….and the way he handles the pitchers…I hope the Phillies reward him justly…because he deserves it.

Obviously, Ivan Rodriguez is in a different class of catchers…and has the years …and stats ….to back it up.

20. Don M

January 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm

your name is “SpankyYankee” … you don’t know d!ck about the Phillies, yet post on a Phillies blog …… IN THE OFFSEASON..

and your name is linked to Fox News ..

Your life is the worst

21. Andrew

January 22, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Team MVP the last 2 years.

22. Kevin from Macho Row

January 22, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I knew to disregard that comment as soon as I read Lou Marson.

23. Phylan

January 22, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Ruiz had a fine season last year, and if you go by WAR per money made, he was the biggest bang for the Phillies buck. But I think last year was probably about his ceiling, and while that’s great for an every day catcher, I wouldn’t put more than 3 years on the deal.

Also the whole “game-calling” thing seems pretty suspect to me. He’s a good defensive catcher in terms of blocking bad pitches, holding on runners, and throwing guys out, but you can’t really measure the effect of him calling certain pitches over others has on the game. This is the same reason why I reflexively vomit when someone cites “catcher ERA”

January 22, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Financially, it doesn’t make sense to give that much to Chooch, as much as I love the guy. He’s scheduled to make $2 million TOPS in arbitration… he could make $3 or $4MM in 2011 IFFFF he has a very good season… he could make $4 or $5MM in 2012 IF he has another great season…

Giving him $4M per year seems “fair” right now but financially, it’s better to go year to year with a guy that doesn’t post good offensive numbers… which is, after all, the Number 1 thing that determines how much a player gets paid.

We now how valuable he is to the team… but we can’t just afford to give $4 million bucks or more to almost every single starter on our team…

25. Sharla Rothe

June 27, 2010 at 5:47 am

Great post! I started following your blog about a month ago. Thanks