Posts

Scott Eyre Retires

Reliever Scott Eyre is calling it quits.  The 37-year old has decided to retire after 13 major league seasons.  During the 2009 season, Eyre pondered the idea of retirement.  Eyre had surgery during the offseason, and the Phillies offered him a minor league contract for 2010, but Eyre had his mind set or retiring.

In 1997, the lefty broke into the majors at the age of 25 with the Chicago White Sox.  In 649.1 career innings, Eyre went 28-30 with a 4.23 ERA and a 1.52 WHIP.  Eyre had the most success in Philadelphia, where he went 5-1 with a 1.62 ERA in two seasons.

UPDATE 4:16 pm: Eyre exchanged texts with Mike Gill of 97.3 ESPN Radio in South Jersey yesterday and said he will be traveling in an RV this summer with his family across the country now that he is hanging them up. Sounds like a Scott Eyre thing to do – the man will be missed.  He was an outstanding find and we here at Phillies Nation wish him luck.

1. Don M

January 7, 2010 at 4:05 pm

See … I don’t make these things up

He said he would either play for the Phillies, or retire … and that the Phillies would have to make it worth his while

Good for him.. go spend some time with your kids and enjoy life.

2. The Dipsy

January 7, 2010 at 4:09 pm

What a baby. Fine. Be that way.

The Dipsy

3. The Dipsy

January 7, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Yeah. Go enjoy life. As opposed to playing major league baseball. ????????????????????????
    ?????????????

The Dipsy

4. Don M

January 7, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I wanted to comment on this yesterday, but the site was down …

ROBERTO ALOMAR NOT IN THE HALL OF FAME ????? .. but Andre Dawson gets in??

5 voters sent in blank ballots.. but they don’t lose their voting rights..

this HOF stuff is a joke anymore

5. Don M

January 7, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Playing major league baseball … and being away from your family half the year

You really actually care that he’s not coming back??

Good for him.. if I could retire today I would definitely do it, regardless of my job …

I’d sit around and do nothing (I don’t need a million bucks to do that? You have a cousin, he’s broke.. don’t do sh!t ??)

6. Havoc

January 7, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I really doubt this has anything to do with him being a baby about the minor league deal. From all reports he’d been leaning towards retiring even as far back as opening day. A great guy who did good for the Phils I wish him all the best now we can start getting a clearer picture of the opening day bullpen for the Phils.

1. Lidge
    2. Madson
    3. Durbin
    4. Baez
    5. Escalona ?
    6. Bastardo ?
    7. Mathieson ?

(Romero would take a spot from who ever performs worst between Bastardo/Escalona)

January 7, 2010 at 4:27 pm

🙁 Good luck Eyre.. You are amazing with the Phils!

8. Ed R.

January 7, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I am actually glad its over with. I wanted him back badly but it just didn’t seem like it was going to work out and I really did not like the idea of seeing him play for someone else.

He wasn’t here long but I really liked him. He was a Philly guy, he just got it and I’ll miss him.

Good luck Scott. We’ll miss you.

9. Jack

January 7, 2010 at 4:43 pm

According to phillies.com, Eyre said even if he was offered a big-league deal, he thinks he would not have accepted. He’s off to enjoy his time with his family and said he hoped to be part of the organization in the future years. Best of luck Scott, you were underrated and will be missed.

10. The Second John

January 7, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Are the Phillies going to sign a free agent left hander? Ron Mahay to a minor league contract perhaps?

11. Havoc

January 7, 2010 at 4:50 pm

wouldn’t hurt to have some more options if they are cheap, but I’d actually be interested to take a run with the young guys we’ve got under contract.

12. SDO

January 7, 2010 at 5:24 pm

let’s hope romero’s arm holds up this year

13. mikemike

January 7, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Damm eyre good luck. I always said if I hit the lottery, first thing would rent drivers and a rv to travel and stop in little and big towns all over the country . he is living my dream. good luck.

14. Chuck

January 7, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Class guy…enjoy life, Scott…you deserve it….and thanks for being a Phillie.

Now…who’s the situational lefty…Romero? Bastardo?? Both??

____

About Alomar…Yeah…I don’t get that either. You think the spitting incident has ANYTHING to do with it?

15. NJ

January 7, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Eyre’s a real class act as far as I’m concerned, really nice that a guy like that gets to see what may have been the best years of his career before hanging it up.

Would definitely like to see the Phils pen a couple of relievers to minor league deals but the way the market it right now you can understand some low-key free agents sitting tight and see which way the wind blows before committing themselves. That said maybe the lack of action is a sign the Phils are going to finally make use of this plethora of young pitching.

16. Dudley Monk

January 7, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Best wishes to Mr. Eyre. He made over $17 million in a career over a dozen years — real decent money based on what the average worker makes and more than I will ever make in a lifetime. At age 38, he gets to travel with his family in a Winnebago across the country. Nice life.
    You gotta respect a man with a “Family-First” attitude. Plus when he finishes his travel, he will likely get a decent job somewhere if he wants it. High school or college baseball coach? Who knows.

17. Dudley Monk

January 7, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Alomar was a GREAT ballplayer and among the best second baseman ever. His stats were awesome, his fielding exceptional especially in his younger years. His spitting in the face of an umpire is what most people remember FIRST about him, including me. I hope he makes the HOF, but it seems that he is paying his debt now by getting slapped in the face by baseball writers. I guess we can call it Karma??

18. WFC010

January 7, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Scott Eyre and Chan Ho Park were pretty much the only things holding last years bullpen together, and now neither of them are going to be coming back 🙁

Eyre always seemed like a good guy, as well as being a great relief pitcher for us. Glad to hear that he still plans on being a part of the Phillies organization sometime in the future, and that apparently there is no hard feelings over being offered a minor league deal. Heres wishing him all the best!

19. Just Crushed

January 7, 2010 at 10:42 pm

It is unreal how short of pitching this team is right now. Amaro has drained us.

20. Mike N

January 7, 2010 at 10:49 pm

We actually have cheap situational lefties in the farm system who should be able to fill Eyre’s role, so we should be ok. BUT: by all accounts Eyre is a great guy, and he did a lot for us. He will be missed, but I’m glad he’s spendin time with the fam.

21. bfo_33

January 8, 2010 at 6:38 am

Eyre did a nice job, got a ring, now living the the dream (agree, if I could do it I would). While I think Dawson belongs in the hall of very good, don’t think he is a Hall of Famer (usually the biggest threat on his team, but his knees turned on him too early). Alomar was the best 2nd baseman and one of the biggest offensive threats for 10+ years. Definitely being penalized for the spitting incident (I wonder how many umps Ty Cobb spit on, threatened, hit,….) and not being very press friendly towards the end of his career. There needs to be a better review system for keeping hof voting credentials, it’s almost as big a joke as gold glove.

22. Brooks

January 8, 2010 at 8:05 am

The Hawk: ROY; 2 time runner up to the MVP, 1 time MVP winner, 8 AS appearances, 9 GG awards – I’d say he earned the Hall accolades (even though he was NOT one of my favorite players).
    Alomar: Certainly did not have the power figures which when matching up with other MVP candidates with power, almost assuredly puts you out of the running. He was close (in the top 10) 5 times, a 10 time GG winner and 12 time AS. Seven times Alomar appeared in post season play with 2 WS rings (yes, in 1993 he had 12 hits in 25 atbats for a .483 avg). His post season average was .313. To watch him play was poetry in motion!
    This was Roberto’s first year to be eligible, he has to make the Hall.

Dispy, why so bitter with Eyre? I don’t get it. He lost his zeal to play and he’d rather be doing something else – good luck and God’s speed Scott. While he was here, he was so reliable for 1 inning, that was his role. It seemed anytime Chahlie left him in for more than 1, there was hell to pay.

Thanks Scott!

23. keng

January 8, 2010 at 8:17 am

when my kids were 2 – 4 – 14 – and 16 – i found the only RV left in this region somewhere out in lancaster county – stuck the kids in the rear and left for sites unknown anywhere in the country – no itinerary – no wife – just me and 4 kids – by the time we got to my ex-girlfirends little town in the middle of kansas (Hope, KA) all my kids had there head shaved and my friends/family out there all thought we were some kind of religous cult!! – i couldnt shave my head however because my 4 year old still liked to twirl his hair to soothe himself – so i had to leave mine alone so he had something to twirl!! – might have been the best trip ive ever been on – and ive traveled alot!!! – go scott!! – thanks for the memories!!!!! – and by the way anyone who thinks playing baseball and being away from ur family for 6 months after doing it year after year for 15 plus years is more fun than retiring and spending gobs of time with ur kids should go look for another family!!!!!

24. bfo_33

January 8, 2010 at 9:17 am

Out of all the sports writers out there, I respect Stark more than any other (I also like Jim Caple, like Stark, has alot of fun with it, seems to still enjoy the game, Gammons is very good, but too pompous). His view is to go first with gut instinct, then look at the numbers. Stark voted for Dawson, and the numbers suggest he belongs. Maybe it was the era – performance enhancements cloud the picture. It’s hard to say anyone who played in the early 90s on was definitely clean, but Dawson was very consistent until his knees went – suggest he never went on steroids.
    I don’t think voting in Dawson is an embarassment (unlike not voting in Alomar), but for me, he’s a more athletic version of Dale Murphy – solid and steady, but not spectacular.
    Keng, great story, sounds like an amazing adventure.

25. Don M

January 8, 2010 at 9:35 am

Amaro has drained us ???

because one guy retired, and another wants to be a starting pitcher.. eventhough he sucks at it …

I get more and more tired of the Amaro bashing by the minute. Maybe he’s not the best GM in the history of baseball .. and so far he’s only got one NL East title, and one National League Championship .. in his one year at the helm

I know that isn’t enough for some people, but lets give him a shot and maybe he can improve

26. Don M

January 8, 2010 at 9:38 am

I’m not going to mention the name.. because I hate the guy … (and Im sure others have said it before)

but IF YOU HAVE TO THINK ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT A GUY IS A HALL-OF-FAMER … HE’S NOT A HALL-OF-FAMER ..

Alomar, regardless of spitting in anyone’s face.. is one of the greatest 2b in the history of the game..// .300 lifetime batting average, 10 Gold Gloves, 12 All-Stars, 2 World Series, 1 ALCS MVP … he was a GREAT player

Dawson’s most impressive numbers are that he’s got the lowest OBP on anyone in the HALL .. he has a career avg of like .279 … and one of only 4 players to have over 400 HRs and 300 Steals .. Nice numbers, but not HALL worthy

27. Don M

January 8, 2010 at 9:41 am

that was my quick-reaction..

Dawson was a great player, with a great career.. but to see him get voted in over Roberto Alomar (and multiple voters submit their ballots with no votes at all)
    is an embarassment to the game of baseball ..

The Hall of Fame is a museum.. nothing more, nothing less.. . . but the Baseball Hall of Fame is the most legendary in all of sports, and its become a joke in the past 10 years

28. George

January 8, 2010 at 9:52 am

I can’t figure out how The Dipsy can write so intelligently about the Lee trade one day, and a few short days later can sound like a peevish moron when writing about Scott Eyre.

I say to Eyre “good luck and have fun.” I say to The Dipsy please reread Eyre’s statements about why he retired, his feelings for the Phils and their clubhouse chemistry, his understanding of why he wasn’t offered a major league contract and his statement that that was not the cause of his decision to quit the game. Maybe you’ll change your tune, like you did concerning Cliff Lee.

29. bfo_33

January 8, 2010 at 10:30 am

From what I’ve seen, Dipsy’s initial responses are highly emotional, after a settling period, logic tends to win out.
    Not many first timers in Hall voting the next two years (Bagwell is the only solid candidate in 2011, maybe Olerud), but 2013 should be very interesting – heart of the Steroid era:
    2013
    Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Craig Biggio, Curt Schilling, Sammy Sosa, Mike Piazza, Kenny Lofton, David Wells, Julio Franco, Shawn Green, Steve Finley, Roberto Hernandez, Jeff Cirillo, Jose Valentin, Reggie Sanders, Jeff Conine, Jose Mesa, Royce Clayton, Bob Wickman, Ryan Klesko, Aaron Sele, Woody Williams, Rondell White, Mike Lieberthal, Tony Batista, Mike Stanton, Sandy Alomar Jr., Damian Miller, Todd Walker.
    I could make a pro and con argument for the 1st 8 guys on the list. Piazza is the only one who doesn’t have too much controversy. I think Schilling gets in (although maybe not first time) for his post season record and press relationships.

30. Don M

January 8, 2010 at 10:50 am

Bonds yes
    Clemens yes
    Schilling yes
    Sosa yes

Lofton, Wells, etc.. No

Biggio never won anything great, and I remember him more for being a gritty player, than a GREAT player

Piazza.. I dont know how I feel about him as a Hall of Famer
    but the numbers don’t lie .. 13 time All-Star .. .308 avg, 400+ HRs

at least half of those HRs came against the Phillies I think

31. NJ

January 8, 2010 at 11:10 am

With the guys who got caught doping (and not the grey area, were what they using PEDs like Bonds) I don’t know how Sosa can get in but not Palmeiro…

Can’t wait for Griffey’s day to get in the Hall compared to all of these other guys

32. bfo_33

January 8, 2010 at 11:26 am

The most offensive output for a position is meaningless to me. If he continues his ways, Utley will be one of the great all time 2nd basemen, but his offensive stats should be compared to other great hitters (which are still hof worthy if he keeps it up several more years). One exception is catcher – for the beating they take day in and out, to have numbers like Piazza is amazing. I think he is a no brainer.
    The problem I have with Palmeiro (besides PEDs) is he was never one of the best players in the league, he was consistent for a very long time. He usually wasn’t even the best hitter on his team (when on the Rangers, Juan Gon and Pudge where biger threats, with Baltimore, Tejada,…).

33. Chuck

January 8, 2010 at 11:40 am

I agree that Alomar was one of the best second basemen ever….but there’s no doubt that the “spitting incident” has gotten in the way….not saying it’s right…but I get it.

Schilling gets in….the FIRST time.

Clemens….I have a problem with him….but not because of the numbers…but his actions. Same with Sosa and Bonds…

I don’t know….where’s the line with all this steroid stuff??

34. Don M

January 8, 2010 at 12:04 pm

you can’t say that other guys are definitely “dirty” and that Griffey and Schilling are definitely “clean”

you just have to know that it was the steroid era of baseball..

Griffey ballooned a little bit, but that might have been due to lack of playing, maintaining his playing weight, etc.. we’ll never know

35. Chuck

January 8, 2010 at 12:11 pm

For all we know…Cal Ripken, Jr…..one of my all-time favorite players….and I guy that I would love to consider “squeak-clean”….could have cheated….Who really knows about ANYONE??

36. mikemike

January 8, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Bonds, Sosa, Schilling make the hall, Then all of us parents should give our kids steroids to perform better, that is a stupid statement to say. parents shouldn’t, but if Bonds and sosa make the hall ,too drug users who broke records illegally, then there is no justice in the game we all love. Schilling I dont think gets in to me he is borderline. and the writers hate him. I think of mantle playing in pain, ruth, jackie robinson being called names playing this game fair and the right way, Ted Williams giving up 5 years of his prime to fight for his country, Willie Mays a model citizens and great guy with kids, and you want these great men to be put in the hall with those two drug users who cheated to get records. What a shame anyone would think like that.

37. bfo_33

January 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I love the game of baseball. I’ve always rooted (routed? I never know which) for the Phils, but sometimes struggled to emotionally bond to the players (esp late 80s and late 90s). In those times, the love of the game overcame the shortcomings of the team. The game is perfect, the players, owners,…, are not.
    To go hard core against PEDs, anyone who played from 91 – 2005 is in question. After Manny got bagged (I always figured he didn’t have the mental capacity to get the cycles right), there isn’t a player in baseball who would surprise me. Not saying they all did it all the time, but the whole era is in question. It would be impossible to determine who was clean, who wasn’t.
    I don’t think suspicion of PED use should play into whether someone goes into the hall or not, just like personality shouldn’t. It should be acknowledged (which baseall will never do) that there was abuse of an illegal substance, and anyone who tested positive or admitted to use should have it noted, but the numbers should be the deciding factor. Big Mac, Sosa, Bonds should go in. Palmeiro shouldn’t, just because he was never one of the top 5 players in any given season.
    A-Rod and Petite are lucky. By the time they come up, the PED anger will have dissipated, and they’ll both be first ballot HoF’ers (assuming Petite has two more good years).
    Mikemike, I’d agree with Robinson and Mays, but Williams was nasty and miserable, Mantle and Ruth drunken carousers. Great players who deserve to be in the hall, but mostly flawed men.

38. Chuck

January 8, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Ty Cobb was flawed….He killed a guy. And he’s one of the charter members.

39. Malcolm

January 8, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Best of luck, Scott! Now, let’s go sign Chan Ho!

40. George

January 8, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I guess I might as well add my two or three cents to the Hall of Fame/PED discussion.

First, while many did use PEDs, they were only perhaps attempting to improve their chances in the game. So were all those earlier players who used amphetamines, spitballs, sharpened spikes, racial slurs, etc. In other words, the ’90’s weren’t the only decade filled with cheaters and bad characters. They were, however, the only one in which testing for banned substances became the norm. In the early days of baseball, the FDA didn’t exist, and such delicious items as cocaine, laudanum, opiates, etc. could be purchased over the counter. Imagine a hopped up batter, not even blinking during an at-bat, or a coked-to-the-gills pitcher leaping off the mound in a menacing and erratic manner. Ty Cobb–while I’ve never read of any murder charges against him–was a big pusher of CocaCola, which at the time not only contained a ton of that acceptable performance enhancer, caffeine, but also quite a bit of cocaine. (The Coke people used to give free samples out at school yards!) So maybe we should lighten up on our comparisons of today’s embarrassing players with yesterday’s alleged choir boys.

Alomar I think got a face slap due to his spitting at an ump–although the argument could be made after this year’s playoffs that many umps deserve the same–and will be voted in later. And my thoughts on Palmeiro are that he wasn’t the greatest in any single year, but it takes all kinds of tenacity to be way above average until you’ve actually hit 500 home runs. Don Sutton is a valid comparison. He was never a league best winner, but stuck around to win 300 games, and he’s in the Hall. You have to grant some concessions for a player who delivers in an above average way for such a long period of time.

Schilling, to me, is not a hall of famer. His numbers aren’t there. Close, but not there. Clemens is a total complete f—head, but he does have the numbers, and I don’t think steroids helped much with the break on his pitches, his control, or his pitch selection. Same with Bonds–steroids don’t help you see the pitches better, or keep your swing smooth and consistent.

41. George

January 8, 2010 at 4:37 pm

GIVE UP ON THE PARK THING!! The Phils can’t afford him, and have stated so repeatedly. He was worth the $2.5 million last year, but he’s been asking way more than that, and still thinks he can and should start. Thats why they signed Baez.

42. mikemike

January 8, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Excuse me steroids do enhanced your eye sight . and help you hit the ball farther. ty cobb killed someone after he was in the hall. Not when he was playing. So we should let these cheaters in , what kind of morals and respect can you have for these great game , if you think like that. Why hasn’t anyone come close to 70 homruns since they got caught> but drugs dont help joke. Hopefully the people that think like this dont teach there children to cheat, to say others did it is a poor reason to accept these cheaters feats. Do you say to the kids if you dont get caught its allright to cheat. Or if so and so is doing it you should too cant understand that thinking. Bonds and Sosa did drugs to enhnaced there performance, while others try to play the game the right way. Guys bust there butt trying to get to the majors, and do the best they can with god given talent, we are setting a poor example to the future kids of baseball and other sports,

43. mikemike

January 8, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Excuse me one more point. personality shouldnt
    enter into the hall. if mantle was a drunk and williams a creep what does that have to do with what they did on the field. Ted Williams fought for this country flying mission over enemy territory , and didnt have to, he vounteer for the duty and lost 5 years of his prime to do it, Mike schmidt I meet many times working for the phillies in the restaurant and in center city bars he came in many time , biggest jerk i ever met, but he deserves the hall of fame,for what he did on the field.

44. Chuck

January 8, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Schmidt didn’t take steroids, bet on his team or kill anybody either…He’s just an arrogant a$$.

45. Jim Kaat

January 8, 2010 at 8:45 pm

In regards to Roberto Alomar maybe the $15 lawsuit against him for having unprotected sex knowing he had AIDS had something to do with some of the writers who failed to vote for him? Has this story even been proving wrong yet? I realize there’s alcoholics, drug users, abusers, etc. in the Hall of Fame. However, it doesn’t mean that Alomar should have gotten in on his first try. Heck…Whitey Ford didn’t get in on his first ballot.

46. badburn

January 9, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Schilling is about as borderline to being a hall of famer as it comes in terms of his career stats.

Everone will cite his playoff prowness as being what gives him the nod, but I ask is David Wells a hall of famer? If you answered “no”, then why should Curt Schilling get in? Moreover, it would open the door to a lot of other marginal hall-of-famers.

Parenthetically, how is it that Burt Blyleven still isn’t in?

Finally, Scott Eyre had a great run with the Phillies and going out with a flare isn’t a bad way to leave.

47. Brian Sr. of CO

January 16, 2010 at 8:56 am

I agree with Ed R. I would have liked seeing him back, but its over. Nice to see a player actuallystay true to his word. I like the fact that it was either the Phillies or retire. Too many times you see players get a complete attitude and want to “stick it” to their former team (ahem Brett Myers).

48. Faustino Fest

July 31, 2010 at 2:57 am

Perfect blog posts. I found this source on line for a free of charge coupon for jamboree http://www.rvcoverwarehouse.com/jaboree-samboree