Posts

Top Moment No. 10: Rally on Ring Day

Top Moment # 10: Phillies Rally Big on the Day of their Ring Ceremony

Every player in the major leagues desires to have one.  It is not easy to obtain; some will earn one, others will fall short.  It has become a symbol around Major League Baseball.  Years after a player retires, they still proudly sport it.  The Philadelphia Phillies already experienced the thrill and glory of a World Championship, but it was time for them to officially be given the hardware.

One by one, each player was called out of the dugout.  After handshaking an emotional Pat Gillick and Charlie Manuel, the player was handed a box with a 14-karot, 103 diamond ring inside.  Each player tried on the beautiful piece of jewelry, but there was a game to play.  It was April 8, and the Phillies were without a win.  It was finally time to put the 2008 season behind and move forward to 2009.

Joe Blanton was making his first start of the year, and it didn’t go as planned. The righty allowed seven runs in four innings.  At the top of the 7th, the Phillies found themselves trailing 10-3.  Perhaps the ring ceremony took the focus away.

In 2008, the Phillies’ first win came on a walk-off walk.  The Phillies needed a huge rally for their first win of ’09, and they kept fighting.  Like ’08, walks became a huge factor.

Raul Ibanez and Pedro Feliz started the rally with bases-loaded singles.  Matt Stairs, Chris Coste and Jimmy Rollins drew three consecutive bases loaded walks.  Shane Victorino’s single and Ryan Howard’s fielder’s choice capped off an eight-run inning.

The Phillies 12-11 victory over the Atlanta Braves was the Phillies’ first win of the 2009 season.  It was only appropriate that it came in comeback fashion, something they did so many times.

1. mattjg

January 8, 2010 at 10:45 am

Great to watch those highlights and hear Harry the K’s voice narrating a Phillies comeback. It’s just not the same without him.

2. Brooks

January 8, 2010 at 11:49 am

The Phillies pitchers all started out extremely badly. Blanton’s performance that day was not too out of the ordinary for every one of the starters in the month of April into May. If you recall, the starters ERA for the first month and a half of the season was a an astounding 7.27 and yet the Phils also had a winning record for the month of April (Rauuul!).

3. Jeff of Nova

January 8, 2010 at 11:54 am

what a great day

4. kjeantet17

January 8, 2010 at 11:56 am

That game was hysterical. We were all giving the Braves bullpen standing ovation and booing Cox everytime he switched pitchers.

5. Pat Gallen

January 8, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I’ll always remember this day because my father had surgery and we were watching it in the room. They were getting blown out early and it looked ugly and when I got home I caught the seventh inning in it’s entirety. Unreal.

6. marissa

January 8, 2010 at 1:43 pm

i was there 🙂

7. MP

January 8, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I was there too. But the other great thing about that game was Harry throwing out the first pitch and everyone chanting his name. It was his last home game, and I’m glad it was a good one.

8. Dudley Monk

January 8, 2010 at 3:52 pm

According to MLB RUMORS, the Astros are entertaining talks with Bret Myers. That little Astros GM is at it again.

9. Casey

January 9, 2010 at 10:58 am

That game rocked. I was able to get the “work tickets” right @ 1st base in the 100 level. My mom and I went. Everyone thought I was crazy, as I had a flight to catch in Newark that took off @ 8:30pm… i went in to work @ 7am, got to the game just before the ring ceremony started, and I made peace with the fact that I would have to leave the game early in order to make the drive and get to the airport in time. I left around 4:45 and we were down badly. My mom stayed at the game. I was able to get 1210 in pretty much all the way up to Newark, and was freaking out the whole ride up listening to the comeback. I called my mom to see how crazy it was in the stands…BUT SHE HAD LEFT!!! She never leaves games early – but she said “once they walked in a run i was disgusted i had to get out of there” – she was then listening in her car in the south philly ikea parking lot. I got to the airport lot with 2 outs in the top of the 9th, then had to run out of the car since the shuttle was there to go to the airport. Called my mom again – just to make sure Brad didn’t blow it with the last out. Crazy day, crazy game. FIrst thing I did when I got to my hotel late that night in Vegas was try to find the highlights on ESPN, but i never saw em – was nice to see them here now.

I can not wait for baseball to be back again – spring training can’t come soon enough…

10. eddie roses

January 10, 2010 at 1:23 am

I had this on my computer in class with a braves fan friend in the row behind me. I could hear him fidgit and scoff with every walk. He eventually slammed his fist on the desk…the class looked back and I just giggled in my seat