Chan Ho Signs With the Yanks

If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em, says Chan Ho Park.  The former Phillies reliever signed a one-year, $1.2 million contract with the New York Yankees today, according to Dave Murphy of the Daily News.  There are also $300,000 worth of incentives to be had in the deal.

To me, this seems like a steal by the Yankees.  And, although Jose Contreras is wowing some people with his arm early in the spring, I think Park is still the better option presently.  Both Park and Contreras signed for similar money, so did something happen behind the scenes that led the Phillies away from Park, or vice versa?  At a full million dollars less than last season, Park would have been seen as a steal had the Phils locked him up. Now, he’s just been stolen by the former champs and the richest franchise in baseball.

I think the question here is, who would you rather have had for ’10: Chan Ho Park or Jose Contreras?

1. Aaron

February 22, 2010 at 10:27 am

Phillies tried to sign Park for $3 million back in November and he turned it down because he wanted to start. It’s not as if keeping Park in relief wasn’t Ruben’s first choice too, but he had to move on while the other arms were still available and Scott Boras was still holding out for too much money for Park.

2. Jeff of Nova

February 22, 2010 at 10:32 am

I think this was a settlement for Park, I am sure he may have a shot to start in NY since after their top 3 there is no definite who will start.

3. The Dipsy

February 22, 2010 at 10:44 am

You know what? That’s irritating. Was anyone REALLY gonna sign him as a starter? I would have loved to have Chan Ho back. I have a question. If Chan Ho had called and told Ruben that he would pitch outta the pen for 1.5m, would RAJ had signed him, even given the presence of Contreras? The players have to lower their expectations and get real.

The Dipsy

4. maverick

February 22, 2010 at 10:46 am

I hope we play the yanks again in the WS and someone puts a fastball in his ribs when he comes up to bat. F- him

5. Chuck

February 22, 2010 at 11:04 am

Park cooked his own goose by turning down an offer…because he wanted to start…Aaron (above) already mentioned that.

It’s over…he moved on. The Phils moved on. Let’s get behind Contreras and cheer for him to have the same success as Chan Ho had last year..

Crying about the fact that we don’t have him…and that the Yankees do…isn’t gonna do any good…

6. Chuck

February 22, 2010 at 11:06 am

Oh, and Dipsy….my gut tells me that Park NEVER would have called RAJ looking for a job….because he was hurt that the Phillies wouldn’t start him..

7. mike

February 22, 2010 at 11:09 am

The loss of park is critical to a pen that was inconsistent in 2009 at best. Rueben deserves the benefit of the doubt as he has made most of the right moves thus far however the opportunities to have such a significant core of impact players doesn’t come along very often. Had the phillies signed Lee and to a lesser degree Park they had the potential to field one of the better teams of all time. While questions exist(hamels, bullpen) they are still solid.

Question: I may be moving from the philadelphia area. I can’t miss my nightly phillies fix during the season. Other than wacthing the game on the computer via MLB. do I have options with cable or satellite to pick up the local feed. Does anyone have experience with this

8. Pat Gallen

February 22, 2010 at 11:10 am

How many times does someone need a chance to start? The guy sucked, he needs to get that out of his old head. He’s no longer a starter, not a good one anyway. He’s perfect out of the bullpen.

If the Yanks said they would give him a shot, they are lying to everyone involved. Gonna miss Park though, he really did well here.

9. therookie300

February 22, 2010 at 11:16 am

Didn’t he want to start so his countrymen could watch him pitch? I think that was only motivation for wanting to start. Park should have been smart enough to realize that his main value is to the bullpen.

10. Chuck

February 22, 2010 at 11:18 am

I think Park genuinely felt that because of the success he had last year out of the pen…that he was somehow owed a shot at the 5th spot this my opinion he was out of chances to start.

The fact that the Phillies said no to that I think pissed him off to the point that it has now hurt him. $3 M vs $1.5M is a HUGE difference.

11. bfo_33

February 22, 2010 at 11:19 am

Maybe it’s because we have him, but if healthy, I think Contreras is the better option. He’s a more effective spot starter, and just as good out fo the pen. Being with the Yanks probably has a bigger commercial impact in Korea, so even though he settled for a smaller contract, Park probably didn’t lose any money in the deal.
    Mike, I worked 2nd shift most of the last two years, tried to follow games on Gamecast. It didn’t work out very well (freezes up a lot, usually with 2 out, 2 on). I never found a good free option. Fortunately, went back to day shift before the end of last season.

12. Philly Texan

February 22, 2010 at 11:23 am

Park did pitch well in the pen. But let’s not forget he’s like 36, got injured a lot, and apparently refused to pitch on back-to-back days and was constantly agitating to start even though he sucked at it. So good riddance.

Contreras may be just as good. He pitched really well for the Rockies pen at the end of last season.

13. Ed R.

February 22, 2010 at 11:28 am

Park is just the pitching version of Johnny Damon. A guy who fudged up his best and most lucrative offer all over a matter of pride. Damon didn’t want a pay cut, signed with the Tigers and is getting a pay cut. Park didn’t want to be in the pen, signed with the Yanks, took a pay cut and will go in the pen.

I’ll miss Park and I certainly hope he gets his chance to start, only to get smacked around like he did when he started for us.

Ball players need to get real.

Speaking of get real…

Jesus anyone?

14. Evan

February 22, 2010 at 11:38 am

Its too bad that Park’s misreading the market hurts both him and the Phils. He would’ve been a great bullpen piece. I hope Contreras can be as reliable, but I doubt even Park will be able to have the type of success he had last year.

15. Chuck

February 22, 2010 at 11:42 am

Whoa…I guess Werth figures that now that Bruntlett’s gone someone has to be called “Beard” on the team.

16. Pat Gallen

February 22, 2010 at 11:48 am

It seems like “misreading the market” is the new in-thing to do. Finally some prices are coming back down to earth, thank God.

17. Ed R.

February 22, 2010 at 11:50 am

I hope he cuts it back and goes all fu manchu. He could totally pull it off. For a little while.

18. Acturbo

February 22, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Chan Ho Chan Ho, sorry to see you go…………………………..

But really, signed for less money…… the yanks? Really?

He took a paycut and signed for less with the team that can afford just about anything. Would have much rather have seen him sign with a team that actually had to worry about payroll and take a pay cut. On the other hand there is something that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside when a Boras client overplays their hand and ends up with drastically less than what they could have had………………….

19. Acturbo

February 22, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Correction his agent is Jeff Borris, my fault.

20. Johnny

February 22, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Not a bad deal for the Yanks. Too bad has to move from one hitter’s park to another.

21. Jeff Y.

February 22, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Pat, I live in Central Jersey and have to watch the Phils via the baseball package. Cabelvisions price is somewhere around $200-$250. The only problem is that it’s not in HD. Maybe this year they will upgrade.

22. Bob in Bucks

February 22, 2010 at 1:07 pm

If the Phils offered $3M+ for Park I think that was a very good offer. I have heard Park wanted to start and so he refused and apparently in a way that made him persona non grata to the Phils.

He has eventually learned that half a loaf is better than one or in this case 1/4 of a loaf.

I agree with Dipsy that this is very irritating. (see Dipsy, I agreed with you!).

Answer to the question posed is definitely Park but we will see how the season plays out.

23. WFC010

February 22, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I am so pissed off about this… and it’s not like the Yankees paid him anymore than the Phillies would have!

And it’s not like they are going to let him have a starting job either, so eff that guy and his Yankees team!

24. j reed

February 22, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Every year there are players and agents who always misread the market…that’s why when you work under a self-imposed cap and have an upper eschelon team you hold out on bench players, relievers (other than closers) and filler pieces until you get closer to the 11th hour..then you have money and winning team to bid with…and if you spend that money before this time on one of these pieces then at the very least not on 38 yr…whoops 44 yr old sunk cost like Contreras who’d still be on the block today. So worse case if you lose out you can always go to Harbor Freight and find that bargin tool you need.

25. Bob

February 22, 2010 at 1:20 pm

We still need a back of the pen guy, and Park possibly could have helped there….biggest weakness is still the pen

26. Aaron

February 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Not sure why the Phillies couldn’t have signed Park for this kind of money. I know he said he wanted to start, but he clearly doesn’t have a spot in the rotation in NY. Kinda disappointing.

27. Don M

February 22, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Jayson Werth is the most badass athlete in the city!

Danny Carcillo needs to take a lesson in Facial Hair 101, from Professor Werth

28. RashGordon18

February 22, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Mike –

Moving from Philly ———-

I highly recommend investing in a Slingbox. About two years ago I moved out of an area with Comcast and into and area without Phils coverage. I hooked a Slinbox up to a Fios box in my sisters room at my parents house in Wilmington. Now I can get the games on any computer or a TV I have set up at my house.

One time fee and your set but you need someone back in the Philly area (parents, friends, relative) who will allow you to hook the Slingbox up to their TV.

Completely legal and well worth the investment!

29. Matt Kwasiborski

February 22, 2010 at 1:45 pm

The Yanks can have Chan Ho and his spitball. There was a Youtube video of Chan Ho spitting on the ball in the WS and I believe the Yankee batter was Posada who even looked at the ump right as Chan Ho wiped the saliva onto the ball. You can Google it but the user has removed it.

This is a who cares move. I think Bayez and Contreras are better than Park and Durbin when you look at it this way. The real concern in the bullpen should be the LHR.

30. j reed

February 22, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Jayson does that beard come with a guitar and the 70’s songwriter’s songbook…maybe put the Chevy to the levee with that mountain man special….

don’t mess with Carbomb’s hommage to the Hammer

31. Don M

February 22, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Carbomb is nasty… but Werth’s is the best facial hair in all of Philadelphia

I hope he keeps it for a while, it looks like two at least a month’s werth of growing

32. j reed

February 22, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Werth looks lke an extra from Quest For Fire

33. Eem

February 22, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Can’t blame Ruben here. He clearly kept the lines open with Park as long as he could before finding a viable replacement (whether that guy is Baez or Contreras remains to be seen, I guess).

It was Park’s gamble, and he lost. Unfortunately, the Yankees won, and Park can afford to gamble since his wife is a kajillionaire, not to mention the fact that he stole $60 million from the Rangers.

34. Chuck

February 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm

He’ll keep it until he hits a slump….then it probably comes off.

35. Jeff of Nova

February 22, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Park and the Phillies did not leave it on good terms. He wanted another shot for something he does not deserve and the Phillies said NO and thats that. He is the loser not us. We have plenty of arms and someone else will step up this team does that well.

36. Jesus

February 22, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I wonder if Park signed with the Yanks for marketing purposes? He is a huge name in South Korea and put that together with the most marketable team in sports and he can make some serious dollars away from the field.

37. Chuck

February 22, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Who cares about Park?? What’s going on down there in Clearwater?

38. jb

February 22, 2010 at 3:11 pm

39. Chuck

February 22, 2010 at 3:32 pm

40. Amanda

February 22, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I’d rather have Park. I talked to a Yankees fan today, and he didn’t seem too thrilled about the Yanks signing Chan Ho for some reason…

41. George

February 22, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I’ve had a few of those tools j reed gets from Harbor Freight. They’re all in the trash now.

jb, Werth carrying the cross was truly funny.

Park, schmark. Poor losers get what they deserve. Who cares about him or the Yanks.

Let’s all get behind Contreras.

42. jb

February 22, 2010 at 4:12 pm

@George & @Chuck thanks! but i can’t take credit for the images, there all viewer submitted!!!

Get your photoshop skills ON!

43. shag beta sigma delta

February 22, 2010 at 4:46 pm

You do not always get a Phillies feed but you can watch all the games if you have Directv and pay for extra innings package, I live in Vermont, and I find it very worth it, and sometimes it is fun to watch opposing teams announcers, especially the Nats. Those guys are hilarious.

44. WFC010

February 22, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I just hope that Jayson’s last supper with the Phillies won’t be this year!

February 22, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Unless Burnett, CC, Pettite, Joba, Hughes all get injured at the same time, Chan Ho Park won’t be starting for the Yankees… so suck it Ho! What a dumb move (for him) –good one for the Yankees.

46. Bruce

February 22, 2010 at 11:36 pm

I do find it peculiar that Chan Ho Park decided to go to a team that has a solid rotation with no opening for a 5th starter (Chamberlain or Hughes has that spot). He accepted less money to continue in the bullpen. Knowing Park’s desire to start, how odd is that? Oh..and to answer the columnist ‘s question..”..who would you rather have had for ‘10: Chan Ho Park or Jose Contreras?” That’s a no brainer..Chan Ho Park, of course.

47. Beerman

February 23, 2010 at 12:12 am

In NY, Park is the 7th option to start. I think desperate times called for desperate measures leading to him taking a lowball deal but with a winner.

If he can pitch out of the pen like he did for the Phils Park, Joba, Mo is a pretty good 7-9 out of the pen for the Yanks.

48. Don M

February 23, 2010 at 10:29 am

the teams interested in Park were the TB Rays, Chicago Cubs, and the Yankees

Yankees give him the best chance to win, and the best chance to market himself and pickup lots of random endorsements, etc in NYC . . it was a good move for him

He was great for us last year, wish we still had him. . .but hopefully we have enough guys in the bullpen to pick up the slack

February 23, 2010 at 10:40 am

No, the best move for him –if he was actually being sincere– was to go to a team like the Cubs where he could’ve had the chance to start. He repeatedly said that that was his No.1 priority… that’s what makes him look dumb. Apparently his priorities changed…

50. Don M

February 23, 2010 at 10:52 am

I think he came to the realization that he wasn’t going to start when LAST YEAR the Phillies were the only team that even entertained the thought of giving him a chance . . . .. and THIS YEAR it seems like nobody did

so of those three teams . . he made the move that will benefit him the most with the most off-field opportunities$$$$…and the best shot at another postseason trip

51. WFC010

February 23, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I am still pissed off that Chan Ho Park decided to put his own “celebrity” status ahead of playing for the team that wanted and needed him most, which was us. He’s still not being a starter for the Yankees either, and he is getting a lot less in guaranteed money too. And stupid crap like endorsements has to take a backseat to the game of Baseball itself. And besides, it’s not like relief pitchers get much in the way of endorsement deals unless they are absolutely elite. His games still aren’t going to get played in Korea, because he STILL isn’t going to be starting.

52. Don M

February 23, 2010 at 1:37 pm

haha.. you’re really pissed off ??

Who the hell cares.. we would’ve liked to have him here, but he wanted to go somewhere, so PEACE OUT, CHAN HO

playing in the biggest media market in the world, vs. playing in Philadelphia . . . he’ll be all over Chop-Stick and Green Tea wrappers all around NYC

53. Chuck

February 23, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I could care less about Chan Ho Park…The simple fact that he actually THOUGHT he could still start (last I checked, he really sucked at it)..

and turned down a $3M deal….to pitch here…out of the bullpen….for a fanbase that really wanted him (and still does, apparently)..

What does that tell you about the guy??

Was he really THAT delusional that he thought he could get a better deal elsewhere??

Thanks for the effort last year, Chan Ho.. I’ll be cheering for you to have success this season…

But when we face you, I hope our lineup kicks your a$$ silly.

February 23, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I second that Don… PEACE OUT, CHAN HO

55. Evelyn

February 25, 2010 at 3:00 am

never a chan ho fan. didnt he mess up during game 5 of the ws or was it game six?

56. Brian Sr. of CO

February 25, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Correction to Johnny’s post. He is not going “from one hitter’s park to another.” He is moving from a Hitter park to a wiffle ball park. The New Yankees stadium (or at least RF) is just down right offensive. But I agree, peace out Chan Ho, you were a pretty consistant out of the Pen, but as a Starter, you were not worth the money. Good luck going to the AL now. Boston will feast on Park.