Odds and Ends: The Phield, MLB, Bay, Myers

-The committee over at “The Phield” has alerted me we will be up on Friday against fellow blog “The Good Phight”.  Should be a Phight, no doubt about it.  TGP garnered 395 votes in the second round.

We here at Phillies Nation are happy to report that we amassed the third most votes in the second round with 558.  However, there is still work to be done.  Make sure you vote for us on Friday.  We’ll let you all know the day of!

-The Toronto Sun is reporting that a few games in June, when the Phillies will be at Rogers Centre to take on the Blue Jays, could be rearranged for the annual G-20 summit.  This could include a day-night doubleheader.

It will be Roy Halladay’s first time back in Canada following his December trade to Philly.  It’s expected there will be plenty of buzz surrounding his return, but wow, that, plus a huge political forum happening that same weekend? Big stuff up in Toronto from June 25-27.

-This is just a side note, and a Mets one at that.  I’m an avid Fantasy Baseballer, as I realize many of you are. When you take part in a league with many Phillies fans, sometimes the value of certain Mets players becomes skewed.  Those of you who know the ins and outs of the draft process will understand that getting Jason Bay at 73 overall is a steal.

We’ll have our own fantasy drafts coming up soon here on, so make sure you study.  But in ESPN leagues, Bay is going 45th, and I happened to get him nearly 30 spots later.  New York hatred on the part of my cohorts?  Or will he really struggle at Citi Field?  I believe the former.

-Our dear old friend Brett Myers is back today as the Astros visit Clearwater today.  Yesterday, the Phils were smacked around by the Braves 8-0, so they’ll have to show a little bit of life against their former teammate.

Yesterday, Charlie Manuel spoke to the media about how much he misses Myers and his presence in the clubhouse.  “I wish him luck, as long as the Phillies whip him,” said Manuel.  Spoken like a true Phillie.

Use this thread today for the Spring Training matchup which begins at 1:05 p.m.

1. Phan in TN

March 25, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I’m entirely too scared of Chuck to talk about Spring Training.

2. Brett

March 25, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Myers making his presence known, hitting Polanco. What a guy.

3. fuhs

March 25, 2010 at 1:21 pm

And let’s not forget the reunion with Feliz

4. BurrGundy

March 25, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Kyle kendrick looked good today, going 5 2/3 innings and giving up one earned run. I’ll take that any day. Victorino has three hits after five innings. Nice. And Ibanez drove in a run, Utley two.

5. Phylan

March 25, 2010 at 3:06 pm

The thing that worries me about Kendrick is the same thing that always has — 1 K 2 BB in 5 2/3, and Matt Gelb (@magelb) said he had 12 fly outs and 5 ground outs. Give Kendrick’s skillset as a sinkerballer, and what we’ve seen from him before, that’s not exactly encouraging.

6. Greg

March 25, 2010 at 3:35 pm

So Phylan, what you’re inferring is that those 12 fly outs were just lucky to reach the gloves of the fielders, not the grass?

7. shipsass

March 25, 2010 at 3:35 pm

How did the Phillies win it? I checked in when they had 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth. Next time I looked, we’d won, but the wrap had no details.

8. Phylan

March 25, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Greg, that’s not quite what I’m saying. League average batting average on fly balls hit in play last year was .138, and it’s around .140 every year. Which makes sense, you don’t get a whole lot of hits from non-HR fly balls unless they’re bloops. I was just saying that you want Kendrick to have a very strong grounder to flyball ratio, because he’s not going to get a lot of strikeouts, and when you’re a pitcher in the MLB, you can expect around 11% of the flyballs you give up to go for home runs. When you’re a sinkerballer like Kendrick, inducing groundballs is how you have success.

9. hamels' left hand

March 25, 2010 at 4:22 pm

dobbs w/ a walk off hit, mate…

10. Chuck

March 25, 2010 at 4:40 pm

“too scared of Chuck”

Yeah, I’m real scary, Phan in TN. Better keep your distance.

Kendrick again looked good….and Contreras too, even though he had a blown save and gave up two walks. But no earned runs.

Nice to see Dobbs come through in the clutch.

Brian Schneider’s having a nice little spring.

11. The Original Chuck P

March 25, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Did Castro forget his glove today? 2 errors for a guy that is supposed to give us solid defense…

Feeling good about our bench… feeling good about our starters and our rotation. I like the complimentary guys in our bullpen but you have to be worried that those guys are going to be asked to do too much early on. We’re going to be leaning on in the 8th and 9th and that’s a lot of pressure. I like them for what they are (6th-7th inning guys)… familiarity and consistency is what keeps a bullpen in tact. We’re gonna need Lidge/Romero/Madson to be healthy and sharp if we want to get back again.

March 25, 2010 at 10:48 pm

At least when Bruntlett made two errors he would make it up with a triple play…

March 25, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Original: I wouldn’t be surprised if Ransom takes Castro’s or someone else’s place to start the season…