Events

Party for Harry Kalas Statue at McFadden’s

Harry Kalas StatuePhillies games will never quite be the same with the loss of Harry Kalas. He was a true Philadelphia legend and the one constant comfort for Phillies fans over the years.

The day after Harry died, a Philadelphia Phillies fan started a petition on Facebook seeking support for a statue to be erected in Kalas’ honor and memory.  They’re working to raise $80,000 to build the memorial Harry deserves and will present it as a gift to the Phillies once it’s complete.  They’re over 25% of the way there.

On Friday April 23rd, a party will be thrown in Harry’s honor at McFadden’s at Citizens Bank Ballpark to raise money for the statue. The festivities start at 7:30 and Phillies-D’backs game will be on the TVs at 9:40. Tickets are $10 in advance and you must be 21 years old or over to attend.  Here’s what’s on offer:

• $3 Bud/Bud Light all night
  • $4 Mixed Drinks/Wine
  • $1 Hot Dogs
  • Joe Conklin will open the event
  • Philadelphia Lingerie Football Team appearances
  • Local celebrities
  • Tons of autographed stuff for silent auction
  • Chance to win pair of tickets for the Phillies Nation 8/14 trip against the Mets
  • Live Music by HOLT 45!

For tickets to the event, click here.

If you can’t make it on April 23rd but still want to make a donation to this worthy cause, click here.

1. Bear Mike

April 15, 2010 at 10:52 am

I can’t believe I missed this. WTF? Great Idea! I am sure that only having $20K of the $80K necessary to commission the statue is due to fans not knowing about this venture. Kudos to the fans who started this, and to McFadden’s for hosting the fund raiser. I am sure Chris Wheeler will be there and be a major supporter of Harry’s statue ;^)

2. Keith E

April 15, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Brian, I just went to the link above to make a $10 donation and was told I would be charged an additional $2+ dollars. An additional 25% to whom? Can’t we just make a donation that gets fully used for it’s intended recipient?
    GO PHILS!!!

3. R.C. Cowie

April 15, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Processing credit card fees isn’t cheap or free.

4. Keith E

April 15, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I process them at work. 1.8%
    GO PHILS!!!

5. R.C. Cowie

April 15, 2010 at 4:41 pm

i know for a fact Ticket Leap does everything through PayPal systems. They are usually like 3 percent or so. I know this because we use paypal here at PN and they kill us on it. But, we never pass the cost on to you guys.

6. Sue

April 15, 2010 at 9:23 pm

You can make a donation at harrykalasstatue.com via Paypal and Dear Harry, Inc. pays the fees.

7. David Montgomery

April 21, 2010 at 12:56 pm

How much has the phillies organization pledged? Zero, I’m sure.

We’re in the Red!!!

8. Ruben Amaro

April 21, 2010 at 2:47 pm

No David, we don’t plan to pledge a dime because spent all of our offseason money on studs Jose Contreras and Danys Baez. Both of whom are going to solidify our rotation. We let you pay for our stadium and in turn, we brought you Harry the K’s Restaraunt. Now, we charge you $10 for a beer and outrageous prices hot dogs and hamburgers. Thank you for your $$! Keep it coming!

9. Don M

April 23, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Phillies have yet to pledge any money to this.. probably because then every single Phillies fan would start making Phillies-items .. and asking/expecting the Phillies to give them money for it.

Seems like some people are too dumb to realize that though.. . .

Im sure that the Phillies will privately give a big donation.. and this statue will be presented to the phillies, who will then choose where/how they want to display it.

This happens to be a pretty organized activity. but think of how many baseball fans out there will attempt similar plaques, statues, etc… and ask the Phillies to pay for the cost of making it . . . . . and then they’ll call the Phillies CHEAP for not giving them any money..

Similar to the guy that painted everyone’s address on the curb outside of each house on my block, and then knocked on each door asking for $10 because he painted the address …. I told him since he never asked anyone, and we never asked him.. I’d be shocked if anyone gave him any money. and that if he would’ve asked ahead of time.. I probably would have paid him to do it

10. Rulie Carpenter

April 23, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Phillies are a cheap outfit. Harry had to haggle for every nickel he earned as an announcer. Taxpayers built the stadium and they provided a winner. What more do the fans want? The Philllies Board of Directors is composed of a bunch of moth-eaten old blue bloods that strive to squeeze every dime possible from their investment in the club. Poor Ruben Amaro, Jr., he has to beg a cry and plead and beg some more to get the money he needs to make the team a winner.

11. Rulie Carpenter

April 23, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I just did a boo-boo in my diaper from the home. Sorry.

12. Brian Michael

April 26, 2010 at 2:17 am

The event was a huge success. Thanks everyone!

13. Jeannie Nolan

April 28, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Awesome night,
    Let’s do it again, how about it McFadden’s??? See you at the unveiling

14. Jeanne Nolan

April 28, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Awesome night,
    Let’s do it again!!! How about it McFadden’s…

15. Angelita Florea

June 18, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I want to express my admiration of your writing skill and ability to make reader to read the while thing to the end. I would like to read more of your blogs and to share my thoughts with you.