Phils Rediscover Long Ball, Top D-Backs 3-2 – Phillies Nation
2010 Game Recaps

Phils Rediscover Long Ball, Top D-Backs 3-2

Jayson Werth put the Phillies on his back and got a little help from Raul Ibanez along the way.

Werth hit a pair of solo home runs while Ibanez added a solo shot of his own, as the Phillies came from behind to beat the Diamondbacks, 3-2.
Werth’s big shot was the game-winner in the top of the ninth inning off of Juan Gutierrez.

It had been 46 innings since the Phillies had put a ball in the seats, exactly one week dating back to Werth’s solo shot against the Marlins last Saturday; however the three solo home runs, combined with a solid night out of the bullpen propelled the Phillies to their third win in their last four games.

Making the spot start due to the injury to J.A.Happ, Nelson Figueroa took the mound and kept the Phillies in the game through five innings. His lone mistake was a two-run homer off the bat of Kelly Johnson that put the D-Backs up 2-1. All things considered, you couldn’t have asked for much more out of Figueroa as he scattered five hits, two walks and struck out four.

After Figgy’s night was over, the trio of Chad Durbin, Jose Contreras and Ryan Madson kept Arizona off the scoreboard, and struck out eight batters over the course of the final four innings.

Werth and Ibanez combined to go 4-8 with the three home runs, picking up the slack for the top of the lineup. Shane Victorino, Placido Polanco, Chase Utley and Ryan Howard all failed to reach first base, combining to go 0-16.

One last interesting nugget from this one, the Phillies only struck out four times, but managed only six hits. Of those six hits, there were three homers and a pair of doubles. Ibanez provided the only single of the game for the Phils.

Tomorrow Kyle Kendrick will take the mound as the Phillies try to take the second series of this road trip and improve to 9-3 on the road.

1. Greg

April 24, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Any news on Juan Castro’s injury? Minor, I hope.

2. Nick Staskin

April 24, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Doesn’t seem serious, but probably won’t play tomorrow.

3. philsgirl

April 25, 2010 at 3:31 am

It was definitely Jayson night with 2 homers and some great fielding! And nice way for Ibanez to finally reach the .200 mark, it was a long time a comin’, that homer. Good job from the pen, esp. Durbin. I think it’ll just take some time for my heart to stop racing if Madson’s closing out the 9th; maybe by that time we’ll be ready to see good things from Lidge. Hope the AZ sunshine heats up our bats a bit tomorrow before we’re off to somewhat tougher pastures in Golden Gate country.

4. Keith E

April 25, 2010 at 8:55 am

We need KK to get us into the 7th today. Figueroa is our best long relief man and he won’t be available. More importantly it will be good for KK’s confidence if he can give another solid start. I’m not asking for something crazy like the other night but if he can keep the ball down with his sinker, keep the game manageable and get into the back 1/3 of the game he’ll have another positive building block.
    What happened to plate discipline? Top of the 8th Chooch on 2nd with 1 out in a 2-2 game and our 1 and 2 hitters make outs on the 1st pitch! phhht! Opportunity gone.
    GO PHILS!!!

5. Brooks

April 25, 2010 at 9:10 am

I saw first pitch swinging again for the last few games. No waiting, no patience like early on when they were scoring runs in bunches.

We’ll probably see JC today (not expressing a lack of confidence with KK, just how Cholly works) and I’m hoping he can straighten things out a bit.

Werth was amazing last night. What a power display!

Has anyone figured out the starting rotation after tomorrow (Doc)? The last I recall, Cholly changed up and had Roy starting before Moyer (who’s in the 5th spot). If that is still the case, that would mean Moyer on the 27th, Hamels the 28th and Blanton (or Figueroa?) on the 30th? No, wait, Figueroa replaced Happ – KK replaced Kentucky Joe but he’s pitching tonight –

6. The Dipsy

April 25, 2010 at 9:28 am

Brooks. I think if you calculate that Halladay and Cole ALWAYS will pitch on their fifth day and the others fall into line, then you will have the matchups. Off point – Man, I think Ruben should start thinking about how he can keep both Werth and Howard. I think we all resigned ourselves to the fact that we were going to lose one and perhaps Ruben did too. Werth is just too good to not try and get really creative with his payroll so he can keep both. I know the Phils aren’t made of money (but they are) but please give it a shot I say. Anyone?

The Dipsy

7. Adam

April 25, 2010 at 9:46 am

Hell of a game by Werth tonight. But the most impressive thing about last night’s game was Chad Durbin. He looks like the 2008 pre-all-star break version. He was throwing strikes and pounding the zone. It would be good if Durbin can continue be a dependable piece out of the bullpen. It was a nice win tonight but I want to see the Phillies offense come alive again.

Although Ibanez’s HR was nice, the guy is done. His bat is super slow and his usual at-bat begins with him taking a fastball right down the middle. I will be very upset if the Phillies 2011 outfield is Victorino, Francisco and Brown. It should be Brown (eat Ibanez’s contract), Victorino, and Werth. who is with me on this?

8. The Dipsy

April 25, 2010 at 9:54 am

Nobody will trade for Ibanez and he’s got another year after this. I would trade him for nothing if someone would take his salary and so would Ruben.

The Dipsy

9. Ed R.

April 25, 2010 at 10:30 am

Dipsy, I think the only way the Phillies keep one of them is to trade Ibanez. Keeping both seems impossible but I would gladly enjoy the opportunity to be proven wrong.

Given the choice, Howard or Werth, which one would you prefer we keep?

10. Scotch Man

April 25, 2010 at 10:35 am

Anyone that would trade Ibanez for cash is retarded.

11. Brooks

April 25, 2010 at 10:37 am

I cannot give up on Ibanez yet, just hoping really.
    Just like I keep hoping that somehow the Phils will resign Werth – it just ain’t gonna happen.
    As far as Francisco starting for the Phils? It’s not happening – he will be a starter somewhere just not here.
    Dipsy, Hamels did follow Doc early on until Cholly moved Doc in front of Moyer (?).

12. Sam

April 25, 2010 at 10:52 am

What’s the deal with Castro, and do we really have to start Valdez

13. Brooks

April 25, 2010 at 11:04 am

Looks like by the end of the first week in May the Phils might be back at full strength?
    Anyone hear a report on how Blanton did on his rehab start (23rd)?

14. Ed R.

April 25, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I would trade Ibanez for two low level prospects and call it a day. Bring up Dom Brown and use that 11.5 mil towards resigning Werth/Howard.

15. The Second John

April 25, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I too want to trade Ibanez, not because he’s doing terrible right now, but because that’s the only chance of them signing Ryan Howard, and both Jayson Werth. However, if it came down to it, I would rather have Werth than Howard just because of the money they would have to pay Werth against the money that would have to pay Howard.

16. mikemike

April 25, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Can’t believe the phillies schedule, only played one team with winning record. wait until they play the good teams,

17. Georgie

April 25, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Brooks, Blanton pitched 3 scoreless innings Fri(23), giving up 4 hits, one walk, 3k’s. He threw 47 pitches, had an 8-pitch, 1-2-3- ist inning, but they said his fastball was around the mid 80’s Fri, down in velocity from Tuesday when it was in the high 80’s.

Lidge had a 20-pitch inning, gave up a single and a walk.

philsgirl, I didn’t realize my little “Cliff notes” pun until I reread it, chuckled to myself…

Joe Durbin, the traffic on Sat. gameday threads is usually a little slow early in the season, but it was REALLY slow last night. I went out for dinner with a friend, she stopped back at my house afterwards, and I was thinking..”Would it be rude to turn the Phillies game on?” I decided it would be, so I only saw the bottom of the 9th.

18. Ed R.

April 25, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Yeah I am not advocating trading Ibanez because he is struggling, if anything I would rather wait it out and hope he gets it together so he can bring back more value but to me it is all about the dollars. His contract is pretty hefty and unless he is gone, Werth and Howard will be gone as well. It’s that simple.

19. Ed R.

April 25, 2010 at 12:38 pm

mikemike…the Phils schedule should not be a concern, good teams win games, period. Doesn’t matter if they play the worst team in baseball or the best team in baseball. As long as they win that is all that matters.

They are winning games. The Braves had a winning record when they played them, the Nationals have a winning record vs everyone not named Phillies, so their schedule is better than you lead people to believe.

20. Chuck

April 25, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Ibanez will most likely improve enough by the trade deadline….or end up the year with good enough numbers…..that the Phils can get SOMETHING for him. I like Raul….but if letting him go allows Werth and Howard to stay….then this needs to be considered.

——–

Again, as I said in a thread a few days ago…..my approach with mikemike is to simply ignore him. He has nothing of value to add to the discussion. I would encourage all of you to pay no attention to him either….because that’s what he wants…..attention. He’s like a little kid. Of course, with a name like mikemike, it all makes sense.

21. The Dipsy

April 25, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Trading Ibanez for something and platooning Francisco/Gload or Dobbs out there would be great. I think that platoon at the end of the year would have better numbers than a full year of Raul. Gotta unload that salary if you can but, as I said, he is untradeable unless we eat salary. Now, what we COULD do is trade him, eat a lot of salary for this year, if we don’t have to pay a dime for him next year. That could free up the cash when we really need it. What a terrible way to think about a guy. But, along with Moyer, its just reality. They’re money pits.

The Dipsy

22. Brooks

April 25, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Thanks for the update Georgie – sounds like JB needs a little more time to gain some velocity – JB needs to be in the early 90’s.

Ignore mikemike and he will go away.

23. Chuck

April 25, 2010 at 1:41 pm

How do you think we don’t have to pay a dime for next year? What team in their right mind would agree to take on Raul’s salary for next year? I think we would have to eat a lot more than half of his salary for whatever the amount of time left on the contract is at the time of the deal.

How good a fielder is Gload? I really only know of him as a damn good pinch-hitter.

24. Ed R.

April 25, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Chuck…an AL team in need of a DH that has money…Red Sox? Ortiz has been awful all year. Yankees maybe? Angels? White Sox now that they don’t have Thome.

Trades like that happen all the time.

25. Ed R.

April 25, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Gload is as good of an outfielder as Ibanez.

April 25, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Wow Ed. Gload doesn’t get clooooose to Ibanez.

27. George

April 25, 2010 at 2:10 pm

If Ortiz continues to be bad, the Sox will move Victor Martinez to DH and trade for a catcher who can throw. The White Sox, with Guillen as manager, many times have used a DH by committee. Yanks and Angels, maybe, although the Angels I think are using Matsui. But there will be other players on the market, too, like Dye and Sheffield, some probably less costly than Ibanez. I’m not holding my breath that anyone would take on Raul, despite “trades like that happen(ing) all the time.”

I’ve read he also has a no-trade clause.

28. The Dipsy

April 25, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Chuck, I don’t think anyone will take Ibanez. And we might have to eat more than half, I don’t know. I can dream, can’t I?

The Dipsy

29. Ed R.

April 25, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Thome was the DH in Chicago for 3 straight seasons until he was traded. Ozzie used a DH by committee prior to that only because he had no other real options. He is using a bit of a committee now as he tries to rotate different guys in but for the most part his DH is Andruw Jones but Mark Teahan and Paul Konerko get some time at DH when he puts Vizquel at 3rd or Kotsay at first.

You are right Dye and Sheff are other options that are cheaper but if they continue to not play all year how much help will they be when they probably need a few weeks to get in game shape?

Yes, Ibanez does have a no trade clause. And yes, trades where a team eats a players salary one year but then is relieved of that contract the following year.

Manny…have you watched Gload play outfield? Because I have, and in the few chances he does get in the outfield he has done just as well as Ibanez. Stat’s won’t tell you much since Gload has I believe around 500 career innings in the outfield compared to Ibanez who has over 8000 innings in the OF.

Also, Dipsy said a platoon of Ibanez and Francisco. Which means Gload would be playing vs righties and Francisco vs lefties and then occasional specific pitching matchups. We aren’t talking about just switching Ibanez and Gload, but Ibanez with Gload/Francisco. That would work just fine.

30. Chuck

April 25, 2010 at 2:36 pm

They might have the money…but there’s no way they will pony up and take on most of his salary. I would imagine that the Phillies would have to eat AT LEAST half of his salary in order for it to make sense to any team.

Just looked up Gload’s career fielding stats….. .993 overall, but 362 out of 465 games were at first base where the % is .995. The outfield % is lower at .971…..left is better at .985.

Ibanez’ career % is .985…..most of those games in left.

31. Ed R.

April 25, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Right but those stats don’t tell me much because as I said, Ibanez has over 8000 innings in the outfield and Gload has around 500, so it’s not exactly comparable. IMO

I agree, the Phillies will have to eat something but they could trade him this year and eat all of his salary this year and possibly not have to taken on any next year, or even just a part of it, half of it, would still give them around 6mil to work with that they don’t currently have.

32. Chuck

April 25, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Yeah, Gload’s fielding chances are a lot less than Raul’s….but I don’t think Gload would embarrass himself out there. And he has to be better than Burrell…..or at least FASTER.

33. Ed R.

April 25, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Agreed. He is definitely faster than Burrell, not to suggest that he is fast.

34. Chuck

April 25, 2010 at 2:43 pm

And those 500 innings are enough of a sample to show that he won’t embarrass himself.

Hmmmm….I’m beginning to like this possibility….

35. Ed R.

April 25, 2010 at 2:44 pm

True, 500 innings is enough to show that he is serviceable out there, and he would split time with Francisco who is a better fielder than both Ibanez and Gload.

36. Ted Bell

April 25, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Everybody in baseball knew that the Ibanez deal was a high risk deal (especially in years). The question we all asked was who exactly was RAJ bidding against to make a three year offer? The same could probably be asked with the Moyer extension and the three-year Polanco deal. It seems like Amaro is too eager to get something done at times, which has a latter impact on payroll flexibility.

37. psujoe

April 25, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Here’s a fun stat. Ibanez has a better on base percentage than any Red Sox! His average is 60 point higher than Ortiz and Drew. I realize he’s not having a good year, especially for 11.5 mil, but imagine how Red Sox nation feels.

38. Chuck

April 25, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Ibanez DID have the attention of the Angels at the time. Apparantely, they were offering him 3 years/30million…or something like that. So the Phils’ deal really wasn’t “off the wall”

I think Polanco will prove to be a good signing. Probably the best one of the 3 you mentioned. He’s so versatile.

the second year for Moyer was a mistake. But he’s pitching pretty well so far. So let’s withhold final judgement for awhile.

39. Chuck

April 25, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Ahhhh….our old pal, J.D. Drew….

And what’s up with Big Papi?? He sucks this year.

40. psujoe

April 25, 2010 at 4:00 pm

18 Kos in 45 abs. He sucks. He only batted .238 last year after hitting .264 the year before. He might be done.

41. Chuck

April 25, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Yeah, I would say so. Shame. Ortiz was always so fun to watch.

42. Ed R.

April 25, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Well last year Ortiz was hurt pretty much the entire season. Not having the protection of Manny behind him is clearly hurting him. After all, Ortiz did blow when he was in Minnesota so there you go. Anyone who says protection is a myth can look no further than Ortiz.