2010 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (28-21) at Braves (28-22)

BravesPhiladelphia Phillies (28-21) at Atlanta Braves (28-22)

Joe Blanton (1-3, 5.63) vs. Tommy Hanson (4-3, 4.06)

Time: 1:05, Turner Field
Weather: Clear, 65
TV: Comcast SportsNet
Twitter: @philliesnation

This is a big series.  Due to the Phillies’ offensive hiatus and the Braves’ five game win streak, the Braves find themselves a half game behind the Phillies.  If the Phillies want to stay in first, they need to find their bats.

The Phillies certaintly can not count on breaking out of their slump against Tommy Hanson.  The young righty has proved that his rookie year was no fluke, and that he is the real deal.

The Phillies pitching has been great of late.  Joe Blanton has been one of the few that has struggled, however.  In addition, his numbers against the Atlanta Braves are not pretty.  Regardless, no matter how well Blanton pitches, the Phillies need to score.

Your gameday beer: The Trippel Belgian Style Ale from the New Belgian Brewing Co. of Colorado is a nice American version of the tripel. There might be a little too much banana flavor in it, but it’s worthy of a drink or two with its sweetness. I’d enjoy some barbecued chicken and corn on the cob with this. –By Tim

Have a nice Memorial Day!  Go Phillies!

1. Bart Shart

May 31, 2010 at 12:34 pm

This is the day the Phils kiss first place goodbye for the year. Prediction:
    Ryan Howard’s 2010 numbers will look like this: 24 homers, 93 RBI’s and a .266 average. Remember folks, you heard it from “SMART SHART”

WOW !!!! THAT’S A LOT OF MONEY TO PAY AN AVERAGE HITTER WHO STRIKES OUT 175 TIMES !!!!!

2. Scotch Man

May 31, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Go shart yourself Bart!

When Howard heats up, he’ll leave your dumb predictions in the dust!

3. Bart Shart

May 31, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Howard — heat up ??? There is a book on how to pitch him. He won’t heat up because he is burn out !!!!!

4. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Where did you come from Bart Fart?? Never mind, I really don’t want to know.

———–

Prediction: The Phillies break out of it today. It may not be enough to win with Blanton on the mound, but I think the tide will turn. It’s gonna be something like a 6-5 game with either team on the winning end.

5. Bart Shart

May 31, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I am a Yankee fan living in Haddonfield. I take in about 25 Phils games a year in my company’s box seats and have met a number of players. Believe it or not, the Phils are my second favorite team. Always have been since I grew up in Lawrenceville NJ.

6. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Oops… is it already time to turn on the troll filter?

7. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Well then Bart if that is the case then you would know that Howard heats up every single year. No doubt Howard has some holes in his swing, most notably when it comes to hitting breaking balls but the guy hits. Not worth his new contract in my opinion but to act like the guy is total garbage is incorrect.

8. glutenous

May 31, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Gload and dobbs one and two? Oh no.

9. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Well this is one hell of a line up.

10. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 1:16 pm

The Phillies will break out of it, somehow they will get it done.

11. Bart Shart

May 31, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Hey Chuck — also, I am a family man with a one-year-old daughter and an expecting wife (September). Sorry to disappoint you, but I am not gay, though I have several great gay friends.

12. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Chase just fouled off ball 3 and 4.

13. glutenous

May 31, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Need to make hanson throw a lot of pitches and chase him early. This is a good start. Utley is fighting off a lot of pitches.

14. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 1:22 pm

WHEE!!!! OK, now let’s make this worthwhile…

15. glutenous

May 31, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I swear if we strand dobbs on third this inning I am going to do something bad.

16. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 1:23 pm

ugh

17. glutenous

May 31, 2010 at 1:23 pm

WOW. Going to do something bad, bye guys.

18. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Glu: go for it.

19. The Second John

May 31, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Just their luck

20. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Jesus Christ Howard. You can’t at least manage a sac fly? Disgrace.

21. Scott in D.C.

May 31, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Atlanta is the hottest team in baseball right now. They’re due for a cool-down.

22. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 1:25 pm

How can the Phils be your second favorite team if you are really a Yankee fan? That’s like me saying that the Yankees are my second favorite team….which ain’t happenin’!!

23. Bart Shart

May 31, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Who said Howard doesn’t stink?? A LOT OF SQUANDERED MONEY SPENT ON HIM. Biggest mistake in Phillies history. You’ll see. He will handcuff this team for years.

24. NJ

May 31, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Those outside the Phillies should be scared if the Phillies slump for the majority of June since it’s our trademark.

25. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I wasn’t totally for the contract. I had and still have mixed feelings about it. But to call it the “biggest mistake in Phillies history” is WAAAAYYYY off-base.

26. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Argh…

27. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Actually Chuck, there are a ton of people who root for two baseball teams, one in the AL and one in the NL. Pretty common.

28. Scott in D.C.

May 31, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Okay … Looks like this one was over before it started.

29. The Second John

May 31, 2010 at 1:33 pm

BTW, Lidge was activated today. They sent Nelson Figueroa down.

30. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Can hit, can’t pitch, can’t field, can’t win.

31. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 1:34 pm

grumble… Catch the look on Gload’s face.

32. NJ

May 31, 2010 at 1:34 pm

The Howard deal may be a little too long but to say he’ll be done in his mid-thirties when he’s slimmed down, athletic and with literally no injury history is just a joke.

33. Bart Shart

May 31, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I love the Phils… I just think they make too many big mistakes in the front office. They should have begged Pat Gillick to stay. Never should have hired Amaro, or Ed Wade. Both are poor leaders and good #2 men. Critical mistakes.

34. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I like Gload. The man can hit….and he’s a clear upgrade over Stairs. But WHAT was that???!!!

35. phatti

May 31, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Blanton is in trouble today. He’s given up a homer, two liners for singles, and three balls to the warning track. He better get it together soon (especially with Figueroa gone–no long man)

36. Jamie's Babies

May 31, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Ross Gload and Greg Dobbs should never be allowed to play for the Phillies for the remainder of the season

37. glutenous

May 31, 2010 at 1:38 pm

How bad is joe blanton. Pedro martinez please?

38. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Pat Gillick is 70 something years old and was tired and ready to retire. He’s done his time. Besides, he’s still an advisor….so his opinion counts…..probably more that we all realize.

39. Terri

May 31, 2010 at 1:39 pm

say goodbye to first place, we might not see it again.

40. Scott in D.C.

May 31, 2010 at 1:39 pm

It’s only going to get worse in June, I’m afraid. Red Sox, Yankees, et al. Big problems.

41. Bart Shart

May 31, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Goodbye to first place in the National League East Division. This game is OVER and so is the Phils dominance in the National League. I predict that the Phils finish the year with an 83-81 record and are left out of the playoffs. I am usually correct and make a lot of money on these things. Bet on it.

42. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Flyin Hawaiian!!

43. glutenous

May 31, 2010 at 1:41 pm

And I also think people with two or more favorite teams is bs. I hate people that you’ll see wearing a phillies hat one day, yankees the next, mets the next, sox the next, brewers the next. See a kid at my college that does that. I want to tell him how much he sickens me.

44. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Wouldn’t shock me to see Contreras used as a long man again with Lidge back. Not that I would do that. I would not make Lidge the closer ever again but that’s me.

Bart, please do us a favor, go away. You have nothing useful to say at all. If the Phillies do in fact finish 83-81 it won’t be because you said so. Just go away. Go and bug people on a Yankees board.

45. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I hear ya Ed on the AL team thing. My AL team and second favorite team is the Orioles (I know…laugh if you must) But I just can’t imagine a Phillies fan rooting for the Yankees and vice versa. Seems almost wrong for some reason.

46. glutenous

May 31, 2010 at 1:43 pm

bart, please. Check the standings at the end of may last year. The philles were in 2nd. The METS were in first. The phillies will still win the division and the nl.

47. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 1:45 pm

glutenous….I wear my Phillies hat EVERY day….But I like to O’s too. So I’m full of “bs”??

48. Bart Shart

May 31, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Ruben Amaro, Jr. = DUMB
    Ryan Howard = average and extremely wealthy
    Jayson Werth = gone in November or sooner
    Roy Halladay = disappointed with Phils, but very wealthy.
    Jimmy Rollins = thinking about his next team
    Cole Hamels = dreaming about playing in California
    Chase Utley = very concerned.
    Phillies fans = very disappointed and sad.
    Cholly Manual – bad eating habits returning

49. The Second John

May 31, 2010 at 1:46 pm

C’mon Chooch

50. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Man, this pitcher couldn’t find the strike zone with a red tipped cane.

51. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I agree with you Chuck, I could never root for the Yankees ever. I have nothing against the Orioles, I would like to see them do well, I have lived in South Central PA for the last 8 years so I am around a ton of O’s fans and have always loved games at Camden Yards.

As for the Yankees and Phillies…I could see rooting for both. If you were a Yankees fan first. It really wasn’t until recently that the Phillies had any sort of rivalry with the Yankees. But I also do not know many Yankees fans that root for anyone other than the Yankees. That has always been my experience.

52. Terri

May 31, 2010 at 1:47 pm

glutenous, well the phillies look like the mets of last year with the way they are playing and all these injuries.

53. Bart Shart

May 31, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Also, Bart Shart’s percentage of the time correct = 91.43% and improving

54. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 1:49 pm

(sigh) here we go again…

55. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Bart Shart = BUFFOON

56. glutenous

May 31, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Yeah chuck you are full of bs. K. But yes I should have added *if the phillies get healthy.

57. Scott in D.C.

May 31, 2010 at 1:54 pm

The double-play master …

58. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I love that person, quite visible in the crowd, cuddling a Phanatic doll. 😀

59. glutenous

May 31, 2010 at 1:55 pm

The reds are my “second favorite” but you will never see me in a reds hat. Just doesn’t feel right. Feels like I’m betraying my beloved phillies.

60. phatti

May 31, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Wilson Valdez has now ground into a double play 7 times, in 72 plate appearances, or in 9.7% of his appearances. Cal Ripken, the all time record holder grounded into a DP in 2.7 of his PAs. Congratulations Wilson, you are almost four times better than Cal Ripken at something!

61. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Well then according to you glutenous then Chuck isn’t doing anything wrong. He said he wears his Phillies hat everyday but also roots for the O’s, which is not any different than what you just said.

62. Scott in D.C.

May 31, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Seems you can basically concede the game. The question is whether they will be shut out or not.

63. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 1:59 pm

WOO HOO!! Joe the Lumber!

64. Philly Texan

May 31, 2010 at 1:59 pm

This is tough to watch again. Hanson walks the first two hitters of the inning and the Phils still don’t score.

That really violates some cardinal rule of baseball. Will every inning end in a DP?

We need Blanton to get the offense going!

65. Bart Shart

May 31, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Poor, poor Chuck. I hate to rain truth on your little parade. You do not know baseball my friend. You are way to partisan. Try rooting for another American League team. Try the Yankees or the Rays. Wear one of their hats. They too will cover that growing bald spot on top of your head and prevent the rain of dispair over the Phils from hitting you square on the noggin. And try to smile. Take a laxitive. have a nice beer. Enjoy life, my friend.

66. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 2:01 pm

You know, I might not mind Gload’s lousy fielding if he would just get a damn hit.

67. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Yeah root for the Yankees…I suppose you want Chuck to root for the Cowboys, and Celtics too? It’s easy being a front runner, not so much rooting for a team that has been awful for the last decade. That makes Chuck partisan? Do you even know what the word means?

I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, let you actually make some posts and hoped you would have something of value to say but you really don’t. You just talk for the sake of talking. That’s very sad.

68. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 2:03 pm

glutenous…

If you would have read my post, what I said was that I wear my Phillies hat EVERY day. No other hat.

———

Bart Shart….

Forget it. You are just wasting everyone’s time on here.

69. glutenous

May 31, 2010 at 2:03 pm

First and forenost, I said its bs when someone wears a different team cap everyday, and chuck was clearly offended, so I got the impression he was one of those people.

70. Jeff

May 31, 2010 at 2:04 pm

First off Charlie should be fired. Batting the lineup today should be reason enough. I understand everyone is struggling. You have to keep Werthless in the lineup. Gload at the top. Are you kidding. Ryan is and has been overrated for that contract. The Phillies are going backwards fast. Get rid of Charlie. Bring up Brown. See if anyone is dumb enough to take Raul the waste.

71. Philly Texan

May 31, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Box shouldn’t argue the HBP. It keeps the DP in order. Dobbs on first actually helps the Braves…the way the Phils are playing.

72. glutenous

May 31, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Then why were you clearly upset

73. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Go Charlie!!!!!

74. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Wow… Charlie didn’t get thrown out for that?

75. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Or did he?

76. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Well then do us a favor glutenous…read peoples posts before you make assumptions because now you just look like a fool.

77. Jamie's Babies

May 31, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Bart Shart.. you are so cool dude. You are the man. You’re big words like “partisan” and “dEspair”.Perhaps you should get some friends in whatever college you attend, instead of thinking you’re smart and tough in front of your computer screen, by yourself. Have a nice memorial day.

78. Jason B

May 31, 2010 at 2:09 pm

C’mon Chase! Home Run!

79. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Um… can we please stop feeding the trolls?

80. Terri

May 31, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I bet Charlie getting ejected won’t fire this team up.

81. Philly Texan

May 31, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Apparently Charlie can’t watch this anymore.

I know the feeling…..

82. glutenous

May 31, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I look like a fool? How’s that eddie boy?

83. jfa

May 31, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Bart,
    If you know so much about baseball, you would know that there are 162 games in a season. You’re 83-81 prediction is impossible.

84. Scott in D.C.

May 31, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I’m watching the MLB computer simulation. What got Charlie upset?

85. glutenous

May 31, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I look like a fool? How’s that eddie boy? Misunderstandings happen. Get over yourself.

86. jfa

May 31, 2010 at 2:12 pm

*your

87. Philly Texan

May 31, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Phils on another shutout streak. Now up to 18 innings and counting.

By my count, in the past 57 innings–over more than a week–they’ve scored a total of 4 runs.

The numbers are just staggering.

88. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Read the posts you ignorant hack…you called someone a fool for saying almost exactly what you said. But since apparently you are too lazy to do it I will do it for you:

glutenous Says:
    May 31st, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Chuck Says:
    May 31st, 2010 at 1:45 pm

glutenous Says:
    May 31st, 2010 at 1:53 pm

glutenous Says:
    May 31st, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Ok now read them all…according to you…someone who has two favorite teams and wears hats for both teams is full of B.S. Which Chuck said he does not do. You also said you have two favorite teams but won’t wear a Reds hat because you don’t feel right about it…so you and Chuck both said basically the exact same thing but he is full of B.S and you aren’t?

89. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 2:17 pm

glutenous…you accused me of something that’s isn’t true….and now you’re trying to make yourself out to be right….and coming off like an a$$ doing it. Are you sure that you and Bart Shart aren’ t the same person?

90. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 2:17 pm

There is a difference between a misunderstanding and being wrong. You were wrong and instead of just manning up and saying you were wrong you just kept going. We are all wrong from time to time, and I have no problem apologizing or correcting myself when I am.

91. Philly Texan

May 31, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Scott,
    Dobbs was HBP. Cox argued and got the call reversed. Replays showed the ball clearly nipped his pant leg.

I don’t know how Cox got the call changed. How can a base umpire overrule the home plate umpire on a HBP call?

I’m watching on mlb.com and even the homer Braves announcers couldn’t believe it was reversed.

Charlie used that as an excuse to argue and get thrown out. He got his money’s worth.

I can’t get too upset about the call. The Phils would have had runners on 1st and 2nd, but probably would have hit into a DP anyway….

92. Jason B

May 31, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Wow. Just wow.

93. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Oh good lord… I know this game sucks, but is ANYBODY watching it, or are we all just feeding the trolls?

94. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Wow!! This team is just not playing very well right now.

95. bureaucratist

May 31, 2010 at 2:20 pm

OK, I’m just turning the game on and getting on the board, can we please stop with whatever nonsense y’all are arguing about and get back to HOW BAD THIS EFFING SUCKS!!!

And that Dobbs call was the worst piece of umpiring I have ever seen.

96. ChuckS

May 31, 2010 at 2:21 pm

at least Greg Dobbs is in the game!!

97. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 2:21 pm

When it rains it pours. This team can’t do anything right, right now.

98. Terri

May 31, 2010 at 2:22 pm

this is a collapse, it it is not even September. you can’t even defend this.

99. ChuckS

May 31, 2010 at 2:23 pm

what do you expect, brilliant lineup by Charlie, I mean Gload and Dobbs at the top, I wish he was ejected before the lineups were exchanged

100. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Well because it’s not September then it’s not a collapse. It’s called a slump. A very awful and painful slump.

101. Jamie's Babies

May 31, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Yeah, there seems to be a lack of focus, something internal. I really disagree with a Gload/Dobbs 1-2???????? How is that going to spur our offensive woes? Chawlie has to stick with Werth, and this team needs to start batting less selfishly, and much smarter. Get runners in, and start some sort of momentum

102. Philly Texan

May 31, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I don’t mind the lineup change.

Charlie had to try something to shake it up. He’s trying to put some punch in the bottom of the order by moving Victorino and Ibanez down.

With this offense, 6-0 might as well be 35-0. Game’s over.

But maybe if they get down a bunch of runs, they can loosen up a bit a get some hits and runs.

At this point, I just want to see a little life in the offense.

103. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 2:27 pm

This is not a collapse. It’s a prolonged slump….and the Phillies WILL come out of it and play well again. We all just have to have phaith. I know it’s hard to do right now.

104. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Well, with Polanco and Rollins injured, and Werth striking out 4 times last night, I’m not surprised that Charlie tried to shake things up, but this isn’t shaking the way we’d like!

105. Keegan

May 31, 2010 at 2:28 pm

This is disgusting. We’ll be under 500 by the end of the week.

106. MikeB.

May 31, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I think that this game is a hopeless cause. Might as well just go do something else and enjoy the holiday.

107. Adam

May 31, 2010 at 2:29 pm

List of things I can not stand with the Phillies right now:

1. Ibanez literally being unable to hit a fastball
    2. Howard swinging at breaking pitchers (I would rather him literally strike out 300 times then watch him swing a breaking balls and roll them over to first base)
    3. Ryan Howard being unable to throw to second base
    4. Greg Dobbs’ general existence
    5. Wilson Valdez’s mandatory DP ground out every game
    6. Chooch having awful at-bats
    7. The Phillies playing with literally no fire at all.

For all non-Phillies fans posting: You can talk all you want but the fact is the Phillies can’t do a thing right at the moment and remain in first place. Met fans just need to stop thinking their team is any good. No team with Rod Barajas is any better than a third place team.

108. glutenous

May 31, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Okay I’m in the wrong, I just think its hilarious how mad ed is. The thing is, although I do like the reds and root for them second, I can’t call them a favorite, because by definition of the word, there can only be one “favorite”. And mine is the fightens.

109. ChuckS

May 31, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Phillies will be in third place very soon

110. Philly Texan

May 31, 2010 at 2:33 pm

I’m starting to get worried.

For a week, I’ve been saying this team was just in a slump and they’d break out of it. But they look like a beaten team right now. Victorino isn’t hustling — took two steps toward 1st and stopped on his last ground out. That’s inexcusable — slump or no slump.

In the dugout they look like a beaten team. You rarely see this team giving up, but that’s what it looks like.

Just because the Phils have survived slumps before doesn’t mean it will happen again. We need J-Roll back big time.

Hopefully they’ll break out of it soon — before we lost too much ground.

But, like I said. I’m worried.

111. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 2:34 pm

OK! 1-2-3! We need more of that! Oh, and we need some runs too…

112. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Ok glutenous….so just what was/is your whole point then?

113. John

May 31, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Beerleaguer is such a better blog than this place.

114. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I’m not mad glutenous, but I have no patience for hypocrites. Now, I don’t disagree with what you said, you can only have one favorite team. I have no issue though with people who root for two teams. But you made a statement that was incorrect in calling Chuck BS for no reason. That statement was hypocritical when paired with your other comments. That was my issue. Now it’s over. Let’s all move on.

115. MikeB.

May 31, 2010 at 2:38 pm

A win by Atlanta today was pretty much a given considering all things.

116. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 2:39 pm

So why are you here then?

117. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Oh, goodie, let’s get more managers thrown out!

118. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I agree. Let’s move on. We’re all Phils fans, so let’s root these guys out of this awful stretch they’re in.

119. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 2:41 pm

@John: we had some trolls here early today, and it has soured the whole discussion. It’s not usually like this. Well… it’s not always like this.

120. glutenous

May 31, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I guess what I said in the beginning about people that wear a different team cap everyday? I just disagree with it. It doesn’t matter. Anymore or did it ever, just an opinion of mine and you know what they say about opinions. Philly texan, I’m starting to worry too. Bright side is that its just the beginning of june, not september.

121. MikeB.

May 31, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Chuck; I am not here. Am going. What concern is it of yours anyway? You do not run the site.

122. Georgie

May 31, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Uh oh, cat fight going on here boys? You sound like my hubby and his best friend who have been ticked at each other for weeks now over some petty fb message. And they say women are difficult!

Just got in a little bit ago, 3-0 when I turned it on…..
    They look like a different bunch of guys now, I don’t know what to make of it. They all look so listless, have they been tested for mono or anything? What did Chase have when he was out? I just don’t see how these guys went from happy, driven, energetic, lovin’ baseball, to BLAH.

123. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Mike B….John was complaining about this site, saying the “Beerleaguer is such a better blog than this place”

All I asked him was why he was here? Mind your own business.

—–

Georgie….if you would have been here earlier, you might understand why the tone of this thread is what it is. A few malcontents were on early and it kind of went from there.

That’s why I don’t always like “Gameday” threads. The good posters like yourself and Ed R. are few and far between making it somewhat of a challenge.

124. glutenous

May 31, 2010 at 2:56 pm

The problem is that when a team is marred in such a bad slump, its hard for them to get back in the right frame of mind mentally, so naturally if they aren’t with it mentally they will have a very difficult time doing. The physical part. I thought roys perfecto would save the team morale but it has not.

125. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Doesn’t help that this team has an AL line up that isn’t hitting homers. Thus…they suck.

God I can’t wait for them to start hitting, then things will be right with the world again.

Hopefully the Flyers can get a W and turn the night around.

126. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 3:05 pm

BTW, thanks Chuck. You’re not so bad yourself.

127. Ted Bell

May 31, 2010 at 3:06 pm

For those complaining about the lineup…RAJ hasn’t exactly given Charlie much of a bench to work with. Except for Brown (who after 1600 minor league PAs is still deemed not ready to contribute at the big league level) there aren’t any prospects waiting in the wings either. The bench is old and slow, and it’s magnified when a couple of them have to be in the lineup at the same time.

If you want to feel good, read some of the comments in the gameday threads during the first week of the season. “This lineup can’t be stopped, you can only hope to contain it”, and so on. Those were the days…

I’m Ted Bell.

128. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 3:12 pm

No problem, Ed.

Go Phils!!

Go Flyers!!

129. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 3:19 pm

WHEE!! No more shutouts!

130. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Wheeler just used the term “baby steps” and I was thinking the same thing earlier. Little by little the Phils WILL climb out of this…..and be a BETTER team for it.

131. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 3:22 pm

FOUR straight doubles!!!

132. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Woo hoo! Three runs for the Phils! Can they get 4 for the first time in 10 days?

133. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 3:23 pm

TMac wonders what Charlie will counter with. Um… nothing, because Charlie’s not in this game any more.

134. Georgie

May 31, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Yeah!!!! Maybe this is the start of a return of the Phillies we know and love! Crap, I gotta leave for a picnic, listen on the radio on the way, I guess.

135. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Chuck I like your optimism. I hope you are right.

Anyone up for a nice 7 run comeback of our own to start a massive win streak?

136. Chuck

May 31, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Tracey….

Charlie’s still running this game from the clubhouse.

137. Scott in D.C.

May 31, 2010 at 3:29 pm

There’s some life in the boys yet.

138. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 3:35 pm

@Ed: Hey, we’re almost halfway there! How’s their bullpen? They’ve already gone through two relief pitchers.

139. Scott in D.C.

May 31, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Good Lord! Where’s the out pitch?!

140. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Uh… how about a 10 run comeback?

141. Terri

May 31, 2010 at 3:47 pm

you know things aren’t going well when that happens

142. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 3:48 pm

So: do you think the fans in the stands are actually making that racist chant, or is that prerecorded? I know they’re doing the choppy thing, but the chant just sounds too precise each time.

143. Scott in D.C.

May 31, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Just when you thought things might turn around…

144. Ed R.

May 31, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Their bullpen is decent, not great but as a whole they are pitching well.

Though after that Glaus bomb it won’t matter.

145. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Huh. Lidge struck somebody out. Could the old Lidge be back?

146. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 4:03 pm

nice play there

147. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Hmn… well, we’ve scored 6 runs in a single inning before. We scored 9 runs in one inning earlier this month. OK, it was against the Mutts, but we did it…

148. Ted Bell

May 31, 2010 at 4:10 pm

The Marlins are selling unused game tickets from Saturday night’s perfect game. They go on sale tomorrow for face value. Yikes.

I’m Ted Bell.

149. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 4:11 pm

(sigh)

150. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 4:14 pm

@Ted: that’s… weird. I suppose there’s no overestimating the greed of a baseball team.

151. Tracey

May 31, 2010 at 4:16 pm

So the perfect game is like a SEPTA bus: after something happens, a lot of people who weren’t there claim they were?

152. Bart Shart

May 31, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Bart Shart is right again. Seems like everyone is down in the dumps today. Good thing you have me to give advice, cheer you up and encourage esprit de corps among the loyal Phillies Fans. Watching the Phils right now is like watching a submarine race — who will sink the fastest. Another abysmal performance at the plate by that wealthy first baseman — Ryan Howard. A real shame the Phils could not take advantage of some solid pitching over the last week. Maybe Roy Halladay will pitch another perfect game and win by a run. The Phils really are pathetic right now and I am afraid, my friends, it will indeed last at least all month.

153. Bart Shart

May 31, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Here is an idea. Tomorrow, the Phils could all gather in the outfield and get hosed down by Atlanta’s ground crew. Hopefully it will wash the stink off them.

154. Phils fan in Tampa

May 31, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Is there a way of ignoring certain posters. I have been looking for a decent board for a while but this one seems dominated by the incoherent musings of a meth head with internet access. The BS initials seem well placed.

155. Phils fan in Tampa

May 31, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I hope the Phils can make a run at Crawford at the end of the year because Ibanez just seems to be out of gas completely.

156. Brooks

May 31, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Too bad there isn’t anyway to keep the crap out of the blog site.
    Ed, you were right when you said game day blogs aren’t what they used to be. Hey, we’re all human and most of us are suffering along with the Phils in this dreaded slump – to have to deal with idiots making no sense whatsoever on top of it just makes you want to do something else rather than lament with your friends over sure cures for the Phillies woes.
    I worked last night, knew the game was on this afternoon and did NOT get up for it. I guess I’m lucky because it surely would have dampened my spirits for tonight.
    Hamels vs Hudson tomorrow night. Should be a good matchup, well let me qualify that – if we see some lumber, if Ryan, Chase & Werth hit (all in the same inning???) Then we’ll be a happy bunch again.

Go Phils! Wakeup!

157. Brooks

May 31, 2010 at 4:53 pm

BTW – I think Cholly will play Dobbs until he is hurt. My original thought was he might take him out when he sinks his BA under .100 but, he is too close to that now at .125.
    Times up for the “Natural” – day has come and gone, you got your ring brother – follow the path of Coste & Stairs – its over. I always liked Dobbs, he had a propensity for coming through when needed, with men on base – not any more. The arguments that he does not get enough playing time – does that hold?
    Bring up some of the kids, what do you have to lose?

158. Ted Bell

May 31, 2010 at 5:31 pm

I agree that the team could use a spark that younger players sometimes provide. The problem is that there are no kids to bring up except Domonic Brown. I doubt that RAJ is ready to admit that his first major move, the Ibanez signing, was a bust by making him a $10 million a year fourth outfielder. Let’s face it though, since June 1 of last season Raul’s been a .240 hitter.

I’m Ted Bell.

159. The Dipsy

May 31, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I think that Ibanez will be in a straight platoon with Francisco for the forseeable future. Its a shame. All that money.

The Dipsy

160. David

May 31, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Checked with my company’s human resource department. No bereavement days for falling out of first place. No bereavement days for being shut out 3 games in a row by the Mets. Guess we will all have to get over this and just hope tomorrow brings a better result.

161. mrbrave90-97

May 31, 2010 at 6:03 pm

braves 1st place yeaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

162. PattheBat

May 31, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I am getting very concerned about Atlanta. They seem to be firing on all cylinders.. they have shook off their early season woes. I really think we need to get focussed here. The Phils have looked sluggish for weeks now. If the Braves get hot, they have the pedrigry in the form of Bobby Cox to run away with it.

163. mrbrave90-97

May 31, 2010 at 6:08 pm

phills stink, bye bye philly nation, back to the bottom you guys go. The hopeless METS are a better team, the nats, marlins, hell the minor league is better than this poo poo butter cheating team of yours. So say goodbye to 1st place, and say hello to last. Phils sucks.

164. mrbrave90-97

May 31, 2010 at 6:11 pm

hey phills fans how does it feel hanging around the scrotums, does it taste good huh, nice and salty for you guys. Phils sucks.

165. mrbrave90-97

May 31, 2010 at 6:12 pm

we’ve been silenty waiting to take over the NL east, here we come. Phils sucks

166. PattheBat

May 31, 2010 at 6:26 pm

The one secret weapon Atlanta has is Cox. The man seems to be a winnner. Now granted hes not the same without Glavine, Maddox and Smoltz but he still worries me.

167. mg52

May 31, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Ted and Dipsy, what you’re saying about Ibanez is very important. It would be nice if RAJ could give Dom Brown a shot and send a message to this team that, no matter what guys make, they have to play or they’ll be replaced. Not to mention Brown’s solid average so far at Reading and athletic tools. Shouldn’t matter which side he hits or throws on, shouldn’t matter who’s in his way. But it will probably matter in the end. It’s just too hard to imagine RAJ swallowing his pride.

168. glutenous

May 31, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Maybe when its mid september and the braves are still in firstt, you can talk. Right now who are the nl east champs 3 years in a row? Wfc in 08? Nl champs last year as well? That’s what I thought. The braves are a good team, but You and everyone else know thislineup is too good to continue hitting this poorly. Good luck to atlanta for the rest of the season, but when the phillies come back, they will be back in a BIG way. Good day sir.

169. teejvee

May 31, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Am I the only to notice?

Blanton has not had ONE good start all year?

Some good innings, but not one decent start.Can you say Adam Eaton?

170. mg52

May 31, 2010 at 6:54 pm

glutenous, all I’m saying is that this lineup is one of the best in Phils history if not the best and this is the best era in Phils’ history since 1976 through 1983, but that talent and results are two different things. I’m certainly allowed to talk about that, and so is everybody else. The offense will probably be back in a big way the way things are going – likely but not guaranteed. There’s always a bit of tension on this site when some Phans suggest that there are issues. Understandable, ’cause they’ve won three division titles, two pennants, one crown in the last three years – but none of that has happened this year. We all know it likely will happen again this year and we want it to more than anything, but every year’s different. Otherwise, no team would have incentive to knock off the previous year’s winner.
    With that being said, this lineup will probably come around again, and I’d like nothing more than to have my worries proven wrong. I also should correct myself: Ibanez is trying very hard. But I do think it’s fair to consider Ibanez’s struggles and Brown’s potential. No guarantees, but maybe a new face can help this team.

171. Bart Shart

May 31, 2010 at 7:02 pm

MG52 — Don’t be intimidated. Say what you want. I know you make sense. Some fans have heads buried deep in the sand. They cannot handle the truth. We have some real die hards who are childish and cannot deal with the truth. I too am a fan and know things are really bad in Phillieland. It deserves to be said.

172. mg52

May 31, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Bart, I don’t know that it’s quite that bad. I agree with nearly everyone here that this team has the tools and the potential not only to win the division and the league again, but beat the Yanks or the Rays in the Classic. Having Doc on board has an effect on the whole team – that’s without question. What I’m saying, however, is that it’s okay to speculate sometimes what could be done better. It’s hard to sit back and say this team is guaranteed to win the division when no one has looked into the crystal ball and seen the final standings yet. We Phans expect the best from this team, which I think has a good attitude and a manager the players will do anything for – as well as all the talent. It’s a matter of figuring out these slumps now so that they don’t return at inopportune times – like September or October.
    Still, this is a fantastic team, and whether or not they break out of this slump right away, I’ll still give them props for hanging in there. We as Phans owe them that.

173. Bart Shart

May 31, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Well said Mg52. We need Dom Brown right now. We need to shake things up. Keep the faith and enjoy the season. Life is too short.

174. Bart Shart

May 31, 2010 at 7:16 pm

…. as was poor Gary Coleman. RIP.

175. PattheBat

May 31, 2010 at 8:01 pm

I am worried about Cox. This is his last year. I think there may be some special motivation for him to win this Division.

176. MikeB.

May 31, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Chuck; go blow. Put the person’s name to whom you are responding to in your response posting so others know then who your response is intended for. Lighten up. You and some of the other people on here act like you have the “corner market” on this site to the exclusion of others.