2010 Game Recaps

Phillies Get Swept Out of New York Without a Run

This post will be brief, because there isn’t much to say.  Mike Pelfrey shut down the Phillies over seven innings, allowing three singles in the Mets 3-0 finale winner. The big righty did walk five while striking out five, however, the Phillies offense couldn’t do it.  They couldn’t cross home plate.

It has now been 27 consecutive innings without touching the dish for the Phils, and 46 of the last 47 innings. If not for three meaningless runs in the ninth inning on Sunday against Boston, it would be five straight shutouts.  Whatever the case may be, this is a lesson in futility the Phillies are teaching.

Cole Hamels was outstanding tonight, throwing the gem that needed to be thrown. The offense couldn’t back him up, again leaving runner after runner stranded on the sacks.  Three double-plays in three consecutive innings plus five men left on base is haunting. Hamels was the lone bright spot but his performance will be pushed under the rug, unfortunately, because of the Phils futility with the sticks.

Tomorrow, a three-game set begins with the Marlins.  Runs should be scored. But will it happen?

1. Mr. Met

May 28, 2010 at 12:19 am

HAHAHAHA !!

2. Greg

May 28, 2010 at 12:23 am

New York 25 23 .521 2.0

Know what that means? It means 25 wins, 23 losses, .521 win percentage, 2 Games behind the #1 Leading Philadelphia Phillies.

HAHAHAHA !!

3. Jay

May 28, 2010 at 12:31 am

Two games behind is still behind. There is no prize for second place.

4. John

May 28, 2010 at 12:40 am

seriously phillies fans have nothing to say at this point..lets just leave it at that..I’m a mets fan, i’m not going to sit here and brag but this series but please phillies fans…there is nothing to be said

5. Karl

May 28, 2010 at 12:52 am

Hey Greg you know what 0 runs in 4 games means? Your offense sucks!

6. Phils Phan

May 28, 2010 at 1:07 am

Remember when the Mets got close in 2007? And 2008? And 2009? Yeah. Until you don’t suck, you suck.

7. Darren Daulton

May 28, 2010 at 1:13 am

Hey, am I crazy or did the Phillies not score 3 games in a row?

8. Philly Fans

May 28, 2010 at 1:14 am

How could this happen to such a classy city? Say it ain’t so Chase…

27 Innings… 27 F*in Innings!

9. Randy

May 28, 2010 at 1:16 am

HAHA! you guys suck so much you lost to the Mets! While you guys keep getting shut out and losing to teams like the METS, the Nationals are gonna sneak in and win the division! Can’t wait to watch the Marlins shut you guys out! Guess you can’t score runs when you can’t steal signs!

10. NickFromGermantown

May 28, 2010 at 1:29 am

What a terrible series. Talk about an embarrassment. At least Hamels was good. I have to day though that I will be more than happy to endure these last 4 shutouts if/when the Flyers get 4 wins to end the season. That trade is more than fair, even with shutouts to the Mets..

11. jeff

May 28, 2010 at 1:31 am

Mets haven’t won since 86. Why r are u bragging. Just shut up until u win.

12. metsfan0906

May 28, 2010 at 1:54 am

not saying you dodnt deserve credit for your years of being better than us or your world championships….but please dont turn into yankee fans with the “you havent won since 86” nonsense. i love this rivalry and think it is better than yankees redsox….dont be stupid about it

13. metsfan0906

May 28, 2010 at 1:55 am

*dont
    *championship

14. MArk

May 28, 2010 at 1:55 am

and the Phillies won 2 years ago…not last year…so u can pipe down too sport. You just got killed in 3 games…..make it 5 in a row. No Mets fan is bragging here…we know better than this….but show a little class will ya?……oh wait its Philly……nevermind.

15. Aaron

May 28, 2010 at 2:01 am

I like how NYM fans are talking about class while they are going out of there way to a Phillies fan page and talking smack. Go to your Metsnation.com and brag about it there with your own kind.

16. Edwin

May 28, 2010 at 2:02 am

Mets win and the Phillies lose! Enuf said. Yea Phillies fans it hurts does it not? Hey Phillies fans it hurts does it not? Sure it does but that is the way it is these days with your team.

17. Matt

May 28, 2010 at 2:10 am

It’s amazing how Met loving douches post on this site, it’s just really pathetic.

Yea, the Mets kicked our ass and swept us, it’s baseball, it happens.

We’ll meet again this year, and our offense will be clicking, and we’ll tattoo your pitching staff just like we did Pelf and Santana in the series in Philly, congratulations on your sweep though Mets fans, now if you could only win a game on the road….

And can we please stop with the stealing signs bullshit? Seriously, I guess we were stealing signs in the last two World Series too.

18. John

May 28, 2010 at 2:27 am

Baseball like any fan knows is largley mental.The Phillies didn’t have any confidence @ the plate this past week. And it’s getting the better of them.Nothings being generated and it shows on their faces and bodies. They are anxious @ the plate.When you are batting and you think your gonna strike-out, chances are your gonna strike-out.But change that thought process to “I’m gonna get a hit”, and your most likley gonna put some lumber on that ball…Go FLYERS GO PHILLIES!

19. lgm

May 28, 2010 at 2:46 am

Looks like good ol chollie needs to get with NASA to see what has to do to get the satelites in space, so he could steal signs again. I bet you that was what the meeting was about the other night. LET’S GO METS

20. Willie

May 28, 2010 at 3:12 am

The yankees complained to MLB during the world series that the phillies were stealing signs. The dodgers did the same. so did the mets. The phillies got CAUGHT stealing signs in colorado. I guess now they stopped because of all the heat they have been getting. And now that they stopped, they cant seem to score runs. Sucks for the phillies. Maybe now they can learn how to hit without stealing signs like the other 29 teams in baseball.

21. Mark

May 28, 2010 at 4:31 am

Hey Charlie……who’s crying now?…..oh wait its your lame ass front running fans……who all of a sudden are all Flyers fans now…….lol cracks me up.

22. jeff

May 28, 2010 at 5:13 am

I have never posted anything on a mets site so stop coming here. You have not shown you can finish a season. Your going on the road now so here comes the loses. Before the yankee series u were crying. I’m more worried about the braves.

23. Mark

May 28, 2010 at 6:10 am

Lol ok……nobodys crying here but you dude…..and I can post wherever I want and will continue to because now I know it bothers you. lol……

24. tedf

May 28, 2010 at 6:46 am

Why would anyone tell philly fans to have some class ! This is the same town that threw snowballs at santa and laughed and cheered when they thought ervin was paralyzed!! Philly was always the armpity of the world and always will be !!!!!!!!

25. Phuh Cube Itchez

May 28, 2010 at 6:59 am

Trading barbs and talking smack is part of what it means to be a fan. Coming here to post is no different than sending bus-loads of Philly fans in Phillies regalia to Citi Field to make a ton of noise and act obnoxious.

Just like those people hoped to have someone complain about them, coming here and seeing weepy cries, “Waaaaahh… go away. We don’t like it when you post here.” is its own reward.

That said, the Phillies are NOTORIOUSLY a Second Half team. Y’all are rightfully frustrated but just take this stuff on the chin and wait till July-Sept… then October (and November… ugh). You’ll have plenty to cheer (and jeer at others!) about. You can’t end the smack talk by letting the smack-talker know it bugs you.

26. Havesomepablum

May 28, 2010 at 7:15 am

Good God, some of you Phils fans really need to stop whining. If the Phils had swept the Mets with three shut outs, the Mets blogs would be filled with Phils fan’s and their trash talk. This isn’t a one-way signal. So, please, just stfu, stop crying, and take your medicine. The Phils were horrible this week. It happens. Expect the trash talk to come along with lousy play. God knows the Mets fans have had to endure enough of it over the last few years. 🙂 Welcome to baseball fan communities on the Internet. Ignore the idiots and focus on your team. /end of my .02

27. NickFromGermantown

May 28, 2010 at 7:42 am

You have to love how intense people are being. Yeah, it sucks for the Phillies, but it’s not the end of the world. There’s still a lot of baseball to be played. Relax.

28. Dave

May 28, 2010 at 8:22 am

Each inning that I watch the Phillies bat, I kind of throw up in my mouth a little.

29. Bob

May 28, 2010 at 8:55 am

Predictable NY…..here come the Mets fans out of their holes.

Congrats on your 2010 playoff birth

30. Ryk

May 28, 2010 at 9:21 am

Very suitable Jeltz award. This has been just horrible to read about. (Luckily, I live in western Canada so I’m not able to watch this pitiful display of hitting/baserunning/coaching) But they WILL be back with a vengeance shortly…..history has shown us that. You can’t keep this offense down for very long. I’m predicting a 10-or-more-run game in this series vs the fish.

31. Ken

May 28, 2010 at 9:35 am

Bob, no sane Met fan is saying they are better than the Phillies. The Mets caught the Phils at a good time from our perspective because we know how potent that line-up is. But the reality of the situation is most of league is filled with mediocrity aside from the Phils and Cards and the Wild Card may be had with 87 wins. Who is to say the Mets cant be part of that mix ? After last season, we are allowed to feel good about ourselves.

32. bfo_33

May 28, 2010 at 9:42 am

Since the Mets are the only other team in the division with anything near a fanbase, I prefer when they are competitive. I just wish it wasn’t against us. This was the most brutal series I can remember, and its not like we were facing Maddox/Smoltz/Glavine in their prime. Pelfrey is solid but not spectacular, Takahashi-san hides mediocre stuff with a funky delivery, and Dickey is a career AAA pitcher making the most of his opportunity. The rain delay didn’t help – more time to sit around and overanalyze current struggles. At least Cole pitched well.

It will be nice to face some fastballs. Losing streak ends tonight.

33. Carlos

May 28, 2010 at 10:01 am

lmao i love how phillies fans are just looking at the past saying OH YEAH AT LEAST WE MADE IT TO WORLD SERIES…who knows maybe you were stealing signs in the last 2 world series? hmm i mean a lot of people are complaining about it and its funny how when someone catches you…all of a sudden you guys start doing terrible and getting SWEPT 3 GAMES IN A ROW TO THE METS….HAHAHAHAHA THAT IS JUST HILARIOUS….please this is a feat that just should not happen especially to a 1st place team who made 2 world series appearances in and row and are talking about how they are going to win the division no problem…its not about winning the world series…or who won past world series, its the fact that you guys got SWEPT without scoring 1 RUN to a team you felt you were completely superior over HAHAHAHA that is amazing…PHILLIES PHANS CANNOT TALK AT ALL

34. Phillies Phan

May 28, 2010 at 10:05 am

We suck! We suck so bad, might as well call us hoover. The Mets will win the division and they deserve it. Us philly phans are just frontrunning losers anyway..I should change my screen name to Flyers Fan now and forget about the Philithies.

35. Bob

May 28, 2010 at 10:11 am

@Ken

That’s all well and good…..you are allowed to have faith in your team. Unforunately I think you are the 1st rationale Mets fans to come in here on this thread. The rest is hahahaha, blah blah Phillies suck, you steal signs, blah, blah.

I figured the Mets were better than 70 wins. No i didnt expect to be shutout 3 teams by the Mets and they absoultely rose up THIS series. But lets see what happens when the limelight is on in September, if they can make it there. Because we all know the next 3 game losing streak will be some Mets fans calling for Manuel’s head again.

36. Bob

May 28, 2010 at 10:13 am

@Carlos

You might when to check the series after the accusations of sign stealing.

They lit up the Brewers and put 12 on the Pirates.

And yes despite this we feel our team is better than the Mets. Let’s see the Mets prove this wrong when it counts.

37. Jeff

May 28, 2010 at 10:47 am

I have no problem with fun trash talking but you guys take it to far with your posts. My buddy is more of a die hard met fan then any of you. He goes to all games at home and he travels to see 25 to 30 games on the road. He called me up last night and gave me some trash. Then he said you guys are still the best team in NL and will be back in the world series. atleast he gets it. i just find it funny listening to wfan in ny after we beat the mets in philly. the fans were crying on the radio. then after each lose. the mets will go back to there old ways. i predict the phillies to score alot of runs in florida. you know we will break out. the good news is as bad as we played we are still in first. we still have the best second baseman in the game.

38. Phuh Cube Itchez

May 28, 2010 at 10:56 am

I think the next ONE GAME losing streak, you’re guaranteed to hear Mets fans calling for Jerry’s head. The 5 game winning streak just distracted people from that for a bit. IMO. he’s not a bad manager… not great… somewhere in the middle. Personally, I feel Cholly is about the same. The talent, ability and passion of the Phillies players usually makes up for the manager’s mediocrity.

The Mets have shown flashes of that this year… more so since Jerry sloughed the dead weight (aka Perez) from the rotation… and though I had high hopes for John Maine, even more since he was placed on the DL (from which I hope he returns better than ever). With all the jumbling and swapping, even Mets fans can’t be sure just who our team is. We are not tesame team everyone predicted would be .500 in 2010… MAYBE we’re better than that. So those flashes, rightfully, get us excited. We hope that is where we’re headed… and we dare to get optimistic… which, in turn, brings out some smack talk.

Trust me, you’d hate it f there was no smack talk. If you wanted to be so irrelevant that no one cared to smack talk with you, you don’t have to go far. Just start rooting for the Pirates.

39. Overtenthousandlosses

May 28, 2010 at 11:12 am

hahahaha!
    great ballplayin!
    Whens utley gonna clean that dirt under his lip?

haha, thats funny.

40. Overtenthousandlosses

May 28, 2010 at 11:13 am

The phils still have 10000 losses!

41. The Original Chuck P

May 28, 2010 at 11:19 am

They look lifeless… they’re definitely in a funk. It would be nice if the whole team wasn’t in a funk but it is what it is and we have to roll with it. Did you see the last time they were shut out in three consecutive games? 1983… we went to the World Series that year. I’m not in all out panic mode… I am as frustrated as anyone (I stayed up and took the pain along with everyone else) but we’re STILL in first.

42. Brooks

May 28, 2010 at 11:22 am

Wow – who could have expected this from a lineup like ours?
    Regardless, lets not forget the error on Poly which plated 2 unattainable runs late in the game.
    Cole looked terrific and was tagged with a loss. Let’s move on.
    BTW – what do you think Cholly’s team meeting sounded like? Let alone the players only meeting –

43. Brooks

May 28, 2010 at 11:34 am

I think Cholly should do what might have been deemed unthinkable at the start of the season – what do you think about bringing up someone like a Domonic Brown, just as a catalyst. See what happens. Could the situation get any worse? And of course I would replace Ibanez to start with. Even though 2 of Shanes singles were the weakest groundballs I have ever witnessed in my life, they certainly were better than anything Ibanez (what was that extremely lame SB attempt?) or Werth (3 strikeouts) did last night.

44. The Original Chuck P

May 28, 2010 at 11:39 am

Cube… that was a great post. It’s a shame you prefaced it by making yourself look like an idiot. I’m not sure why you had to use a vulgar handle but first impressions are everything, my man. We have a few Mets fans that are on here regularly…

Jerry and Cholly are probably on the same level when it comes to strategy but Cholly has done a much better job of earning the respect of his players. They would never throw him under the bus and I’m not so sure that the same could be said for the Mets players (and Jerry Manuel). Cholly never singles players out and doesn’t ask for much; timeliness and hustle. The players would run through a wall for Cholly…

45. Brian Sr. of CO

May 28, 2010 at 11:40 am

metsfan0909 you have to look no further than the other idiots posting junk on PHILLIESnation.com like “Hey Greg you know what 0 runs in 4 games means? Your offense sucks!” and “the Phillies won 2 years ago…not last year…so u can pipe down too sport. You just got killed in 3 games…..make it 5 in a row. No Mets fan is bragging here…we know better than this….but show a little class will ya?……oh wait its Philly……nevermind.” forgetting that this is PHILLIESnation.com. Why are there Mets fans coming here spouting hatred? The VERY FIRST post on here is “HAHAHAHA”. Uh classless. So the first post is by a Mets fan, and says that you are talking about Phillies fans DEFENDING the PHILLIES on PHILLIES nation? Get a life, get a job, and go to a Mets website. FYI in case you forgot it, you say the Phillies didnt win last year. Tell me when did the Phillies Lose? the WORLD SERIES. That means the Phillies WON the NATIONAL LEAGUE. Beyond that this is pathetic. the Phillies were 11 games above .500. I have no doubt the Phillies will fall out of first by next weekend. Hopefully they get it bac though.

46. Bob in Bucks

May 28, 2010 at 11:53 am

What goes down will come up. But it sure is painful to wait.

47. Georgie

May 28, 2010 at 11:56 am

I am not going to start freaking out just yet…..I’m frustrated, annoyed, perplexed….but not freaking. This group of players has done this for years now, one guy starts with the hitting slump, it becomes contagious, and before you know it, no one can hit the ball, dp’s galore, it’s routine now. Also, Jimmy’s not in the lineup, and for anyone who still thinks he’s not the catalyst, the guy who lights the fire under their a$$es, this REALLY BAD slump should enlighten you.

Baseball is a long season, this Phillies team knows that, and as long as they remain in first or close to it, they know they will play balls to the wall in the second half, it’s their “MO”.

Btw, Chase looks like he’s still sick or something….has he been checked for mono, or is he injured? I’m always thinking he looks ill though, so it’s probably nothing.

48. Jeff

May 28, 2010 at 11:58 am

I said yesterday why I dont like Reyes. I think he is one of the most talented players in the league. Jerry should of been fired just by putting him in the 3rd hole. This is a man that is great at getting on base and making things happen. Like Jroll. They both can change a game in a heartbeat. I also love Wright. Would take him on my team in a flash. I think the the ballpark is a problem for him and the shot he took last season is in his head. Or even the home derby which I hate for players. I can do without all the crap reyes does in the dugout. This is a very very long season. The Phillies will put up some big numbers very soon. The good news is we are still in first. Last year Lidge and Madson were blowing saves every other day. My Met buddy said you still will win. He was right and says the same thing this season. Howard will get hot at some point.

49. Mike D.

May 28, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Swept by the Mets with three straight shutouts. Ugh, this is like Stephen Hawking beating you at arm wrestling.

50. Nicky

May 28, 2010 at 12:05 pm

i just want to say………sucks that you can’t win without CHEATING!

51. Georgie

May 28, 2010 at 12:06 pm

haha, good one Mike D!

52. phillyjoe

May 28, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Geez by talking to these Mets fans you would think this was a series in late September to clinch the division. I guess it must feel good for them though since we have absolutely dominated them the past couple years. Anyway Phils are still in first. The offense is gonna come back as soon as we get J-Roll back. The Mets are gonna finish in third place at best. So go ahead mets fans…enjoy this sweep….just know that come october the Phillies will be the ones competeing for another world championship and the mets will be playing golf.

53. phillyjoe

May 28, 2010 at 12:30 pm

and the offense started struggling when rollins went down again not when the stuff about stealing signs came out…dumbass mets fan

54. branderson

May 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I’m no front-runner. Ever since I was 6 (in 1997), I watched the Phils and the Flyers and the Phils SUCKED. But right now, I’m not going to stop being as much of a Phils enthusiast bc the Flyers are in the cup and the Phils can’t score. I’ll still watch every game of the Phils I can. Don’t worry Mets, we’re not going anywhere and neither are you. Baseball is all about streaky playing and I forsee the Mets going on some BAD losing streaks just like they did last year

55. Roger

May 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm

so phillyjoe, rollins went down in april. by your logic, the philly offense has been down since then, yet they still are in first place? now when the sign stealing issue comes about, the offense starts to really decline. seems like you’re the dumbass fan

56. Shart in Wycoff

May 28, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Mets will rise……Phils will star…. Oh my god, I just sharted

57. philsgirl

May 28, 2010 at 1:28 pm

@ Roger, I think phillyjoe means when Rollins went out *again*. Really, the “sign-stealing” thing is a red herring. Rollins out – that’s the timing of the slump, but we were doing pretty well without him at the beginning of the season, who knows how he’s psycologically affecting the team now. It’s just been a snowball effect since the Sox loss, and probably the guys seem so disheartened *because* they know they can do so much better. But I am scared, haven’t seen them play this cruddy for years. This core has a great collective spark. Where did it go? Once we can put at least one run on the board maybe they’ll feel the jinx is off. Honestly, I can’t keep up with their facial hair changes!

58. phillyjoe

May 28, 2010 at 2:23 pm

thanks phils girl, yeah that is what i meant considering thats what i wrote…again dumbass mets fan

59. phillyjoe

May 28, 2010 at 2:25 pm

and i assure you the sign steal bullcrap has nothing to do with it…

60. Jonathan

May 28, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Is is possible that Jimmy Rollins is not actually injured; rather, he has been kidnapped by the Looney Tunes to play in an epic baseball game against a pack of aliens who stole the talent from the rest of the Phillies offense?

61. phillyjoe

May 28, 2010 at 2:47 pm

sounds reasonable

62. John

May 28, 2010 at 2:54 pm

10 THOUSAND LOSSES..lets go mets

63. Jeff

May 28, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I do love met fans, they are silly little people. You have to feel sorry for them. No title since 86. Two back to back epic chokes. Watching the Phillies win it all then go back the next year. To have Jerry M. and Omar running your team. YIKES. In another month we will have another big lead on them. So I guess we should feel a little sorry. Hey If it wasnt for Bill B. back in 86 being paid to let one go through the legs they would still be crying. LOL

64. Amazinsux

May 28, 2010 at 4:00 pm

The Muts could have a 20 game lead with 21 games to play and they would still CHOKE! Losers & crybabies! LMAO!

65. The Second John

May 28, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I not even close to giving up on this team, but watching this offense right now is incredibly frustrating. It’s all right though, I think they’ll bounce back soon. One positive thing though was the way Hamels pitched. Looks like he is almost back to his 08 form.

BTW, for those people who are saying stealing signs had anything to do with it, after the Colorado series, they went on to win 5 out of their 7 games.

66. Matt

May 28, 2010 at 4:35 pm

@ Brian Sr.

Good post man, that’s the point I was trying to make, but you made it sound much better lol.

67. Dennis

May 28, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Wow! Check out tonight’s line-up! Could be 4 straight shutouts…..

68. Getreal

May 28, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Yes, the Phils have lost 10,000 games. They’ve had well over a hundred years to lose them. I wonder how many losses the Mets will have after one hundred years.

And as for sign stealing, there’s not a team around, INCLUDING THE METS that doesn’t try it all the time. Many hitters don’t even want to be told what pitch is coming; it’s just a last minute distraction, like someone coughing when a golfer’s just taken his backswing.

I feel sorry for any fan who has to gloat over a meager three-game sweep. It’s pathetically defensive.

May 28, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Don’t ask me why, but I got a pheeling that tonight’s gonna be a good night.

70. Phuh Cube Itchez

May 28, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Meh… my name is what it is. Personally, I thought it was funny. Until I see someone chastising insulting blanket statements about Mets fans, I lump all claims of “classless” in the same bucket… which happens to be my toilet.

I could change it. How’s Uri Tinshitz sound?

I joke about the team and cities. Never about the fans…. other than in defense and then I keep it to the individual (I’m looking at you, Jeff…. and the guy that puked on the little girl… though I suspect they are one in the same).

BTW, just to ensure this is indeed about baseball, no matter what happened in the last few days, I am very confident that the Phillies are making it to the playoffs this year. I’d say they’re going to the WS and I wouldn’t be surprised if they do… but you know how the playoffs go. Someone could get hot…. someone else could get cold… anything could happen.

71. The Second John

May 28, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Look’s like they might not be able to get the game in tonight. Here’s the weather: http://tinyurl.com/3y5nso4

72. Ace Ho

May 28, 2010 at 7:14 pm

oh no

73. mark

May 28, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Hey Phils fans…..your not making the World Series again……..sorry its just reality. Hasnt happened 3 years in a row for an NL team in 60 years…and thats when there were like 8 teams in the NL..so good luck with that. You idiots think its your rightful place to be there this year because you were there for the last 2 and the season is just a formality…..well it doesnt work like that…sorry.

74. phillyjoe

May 28, 2010 at 11:30 pm

yeah your right just because it hasnt happened recently means there is no shot of it happening at all….the fact is that we are still the best team in the national league…we just are going through a rough patch right now, not saying we are a lock for the pennant but come october, phils will be in the playoffs competing for another world series and the mets will be playing golf…again

75. Mark

May 28, 2010 at 11:43 pm

No Shot

76. Aaron

May 29, 2010 at 12:57 am

Mark, you are ignorant. Nothing is impossible.

77. phillyjoe

May 29, 2010 at 3:28 am

well even if they dont win the pennant we are still going to be in the playoffs while the mets watch

78. Brian Sr. of CO

May 29, 2010 at 9:43 am

First, Nicky, I feel sorry for you having to be such an idiot. 2nd, Matt, thank you, every once in a while I can get through my hatred and disdain for certain low class fans and come up with a sound and reasonable argument. 3rd Mark, honestly, it will be VERY difficult to go back to the World Series, and MAYBE the Phillies will lose, but let me ask you this…Would you rather see your team win 3 (maybe 4) NL East pennants in a row, 2 NL pennants in a row, 1 WS, and then lose in the NLDS or NLCS after winning 2 straight NL pennants, or would you rather watch your team lose before making the WS, then BLOW a 7 game lead one year (2007), a 4 game lead the year after (2008 FYI Phillies won the World Series), and finish in 4th place in 2009 (FYI the Phillies wan the NL). Maybe its just me, but I would rather watch my team give a little ray of hope to a mediocre team that is 1 (count that again) ONE game over .500 just to see them finish in 3rd place, then to see my team go on a 7 game losing streak in September when the Division is decided. DUH. Oh and to “overtenthousandlosses”. Hmm, you are apparently not very bright. I suggest you do research if you are a Mets fan trying to say the current Phillies suck because the organization has that many losses. Maybe its just me, but what the team did in 1886, or 1986 means NOTHING. But since you want bring up losses. Tell me which team has had more wins this DECADE? Which team has had more losses this DECADE? Which team has finished in LAST place in the division this DECADE? Which team has won the division more times this DECADE? FYI, Phillies have more wins, less losses and more times winning the division this DECADE then the Mets. DUH. Next Question. Which team has a better winning % since 1969? The Phillies have a better winning % then 1969! Hmm. did you know that if the Mets were around as long as the Phillies they would have MORE losses than the Phillies if that held true. Wierd. Oh and I do agree with one thing Mark. The Mets have “no Shot” at winning the division. Take meds people. Some of you obviously need them.