2010 Game Recaps

Roy Halladay Pitches a Perfect Game

Roy Halladay tosses a perfect game

In case there was any question, tonight showed why the Phillies and their fans wanted Roy Halladay. He is perfect.

Throwing just the second perfect game in Phillies history, Halladay held on for a 1-0 Phillies victory.  He threw 115 pitches to 27 Marlin batters and retired them all in order – 11 via strikeout.

To say his pitching was masterful would be an understatement.  He pelted the bottom corners of the strike zone, threw curveballs with full counts, and absolutely commanded the game along with his battery mate Carlos Ruiz.

We’ll leave the questions about the offense for another night.  Perfect games do not happen too often.  It was just the 20th in the history of baseball.  This one accounted for Halladay’s seventh win of the season and helped his ERA dip to 1.99.

May 29, 2010 will go down as a great day in Phillies history.

Congratulations, Roy!

1. joshua Davidson

May 29, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Unbelievable. I’m at a loss of words. I had a man crush on Halladay before but now, I’m in love. Let’s go Phillies!

2. Cliff Lee's Tractor

May 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Halladeity.

3. Aaron

May 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Great game. Where are those Mets fans talking shit now?

4. RJG

May 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Actually was around to see Bunning’s perfecto (on black and white TV) on Father’s Day way back in ’64… this was far more amazing – happened against a decent hitting club with NO margin of error!

5. Michael Kirk

May 29, 2010 at 10:41 pm

This was the first perfect game I’ve ever seen completely. I want to remember the dominance and composure Roy had and never lost. Halladay was dominate to the very definition. 27 up and 27 down into our hearts and memories.

6. Jeff of Nova

May 29, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Way to go Roy!!

7. Brooks

May 29, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I never saw anything like it before – I have been watching baseball for a long, long time and never witnessed such a performance.
    One for the history books! Thanks Roy!

8. beta sigma delta shag

May 29, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Been watching the Phillies since 1971, outstanding performance, from the first inning on it was pure domination. Hopfully this will be the turning point of this down slide for the Phillies and the team will dominate like it is capable of the rest of the way. I just have to say with the extra inning package I got to see portions of the other perfect game and no hitter, But the Doc’s perfecto was just plain awesome.

9. Pingback: All Around the World News

10. beta sigma delta shag

May 29, 2010 at 11:15 pm

I would also like to add, the play in the hole by Valdez to get mayben showing off the cannon arm maybe was a bigger and harder play then Castro’s play going to his left. And how long is polly going to sit out

11. Ace Ho

May 29, 2010 at 11:17 pm

I am glad Phillies sign him at cheap price for a long term. he is worth every cent. Unlike howard ……….

12. Pingback: Phillies’ Roy Halladay Throws Perfect Game Vs. Marlins | Latest New Stories

13. Willie

May 30, 2010 at 12:01 am

im not a phillies fan but wow what a great game by halladay. Congrats to him and the phillies and all their fans. Its always great for baseball to see someone throw a perfect game no matter what team they play for. Good for Roy.

14. Pingback: Baseball: Phillies’ Roy Halladay Pitches Perfect Game | My Celeb Watch

15. Brian Sr. of CO

May 30, 2010 at 12:51 am

I dont know about the rest of you, but May 29th will now and forever be Roy HallaDAY in my household. Simply amazing. No words can describe it. The funny thing. ZERO earned runs in that entire game if I looked correctly because Utley’s RBI was on an error. I dont think that has ever happened. Im sure its happened where its been no earned runs by either team, but not combined with a perfect game. Now the funny thing. Moyer goes tomorrow who usually OWNS the Marlins IN florida. I hope he can win it. The offense needs to start to score some more runs. Maybe this little joy the last two games, TODAY ESPECIALLY will propel them!

16. Nunzio Scholeri

May 30, 2010 at 12:57 am

Halladay threw a 5-hit shut out. Then he threw a 3-hit shutout. Then Moyer threw a 2-hit shutout. Now Halladay’s thrown a perfect game, and credited (in part) Chooch’s pitch-calling and conversations he’s had with the Old Man himself, Jamie Moyer. If Moyer feels any need to retire after this year, I can’t think of any better man to become the Phillies’ pitching coach.

What a great season to be a phan.

17. Mark

May 30, 2010 at 2:18 am

yawn

18. NYC Philly

May 30, 2010 at 2:25 am

know what’s supremely interesting about this? what if the phillies hadn’t scored on the error? obviously halladay pitches in the 10th. but what about past that? he threw 117 pitches. so you’re averaging approx 13 pitches per inning. so it’s the 10th, phills dont score, but doc continues his stretch into the 11th…now we’re at 130. same story for the top of the 11th…and the bottom…then what?? how long can a guy go if he’s on the verge of immortality, and how long SHOULD he go. up to the 1960s, starters in this situation finished games. period. 200 pitches? yeah i’m good let’s get this done. in the 30s 2 pitchers had no hitters in the 13TH INNING. 13th, folks. you’ll never see that again. back then it was a job, you played until the game was over. 18th inning? hey guy, you’re paid to finish this. but today it’s a different arena. guys make not tens of thousands paid dollars, but tens of MILLIONS of dollars. what happens when you’re on the verge of the most difficult feat a single player can accomplish in a single game, and you’re into 150+ throws on your arm? an interesting debate. please pardon if you see this post elsewhere, i would love a few responses.

19. greg

May 30, 2010 at 3:13 am

halladay rules. i can’t say enough about this guy. i’m speechless.

20. Pingback: Copy Any Game – Tutorials And Guides.

21. Brian Sr. of CO

May 30, 2010 at 11:13 am

And leave it to a troll (Mark) to show true class and come on here and “Yawn”. But then again, he might be Yawning about the Mets .500 season. Doesnt matter if you shut out a team for 3 games in a row, if that team comes back and drops 2 in a row. Back to Halladay, I would say Nunzio is ALMOST correct. I felt that Halladay gave more credit to Chooch then to just say “in part”. I felt his comments, reactions, zero facial expressions until AFTER Howard caught the 27th out and Chooch and the rest of the team came running. He is a TRUE CLASS ACT. I loved the history, I loved the reaction, I loved the class. Joshua Davidson did say it best though. LOL “I had a man crush on Halladay before but now, I’m in love. ” Classic line! This is just an unforgettable time to be a Phillies Phan. If you told me 10 years ago, forget that, if you asked me in 2007 with 3 weeks left in the season that the Phillies would win 3 straight NL East titles, a WS Championship, 2 straight NL Championships, in first place again in 2010 AND would see one of our beloved Philadelphia Phillies pitchers enter the record books with a perfect game, I would have said “your nuts, you need help!” Now I think I need to purchase extra life insurance. What a time. simply amazing. Since Halladay mentioned Chooch, wow, when will he get the credit he deserves from the Media. Chooch has caught the final out for the WS. Called (I believe) every single one of Lidges saves in 08, Called a perfect game for Doc, called a CG shut out – 2 hitter (no walks) for Moyer, and called some other very good games for Kendrick like the other night, 0ER (2 un earned on Kendricks own mistake.) Not even I have given him his credit, but I think its about time, he gets the credit he deserves! Im voting Chooch for the All Star game. Even Hamels this year has been MUCH improved from 2009, and the FEW poor starts, I dont even think Chooch was calling the game!

22. Neal

May 30, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Speaking of class, I thought Coughlan’s comments regarding called third strikes with a full count were classy. “I thought they were balls, that’s why I took them. But, obviously they’re too close to take. I don’t want to talk about the strike zone because that’s discrediting what he did”. I have a lot of respect for him now. He’s having a tough season and he could have made a stink about some calls he clearly was unhappy with during the game

23. Pingback: Holladay, Hopper, and Hamas. | The Asylum

24. Mark

May 31, 2010 at 6:46 am

and Phils get shutout again the next day…….Hey Werth…..will you still be in 1st place after Wed?…….nope……talk about no class. Jayson Werth…top of the list now.

25. Avery

May 31, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Go Roy and be quiet Mark

26. Amy

June 3, 2010 at 8:35 pm

27. Otha Lowenstein

June 3, 2010 at 8:57 pm

สอนเทคนิคบาคาร่า วิธีเล่นบาคาร่า บาคาร่าออนไลน์ สูตรบาคาร่า รวมถึงกลโกงบาคาร่าต่าง ๆ เพื่อป้องกันการตกเป็นเหยื่อของคาสิโนขอบคุณครับ

28. Hector Rutman

June 3, 2010 at 9:00 pm

29. Pingback: Where can i find a radar speed detector to measure the speed of my lacrosse shot?