Gameday: Phillies (41-34) at Reds (43-35) – Phillies Nation
2010 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (41-34) at Reds (43-35)

Philadelphia Phillies (41-34) at Cincinnati Reds (43-35)

Roy Halladay, RHP (9-6, 2.29 ERA) vs. Aaron Harang, RHP (6-7, 5.07 ERA)

Time: 12:35, Great American Ballpark
Weather: Sunny, 77
TV: Comcast SportsNet
Twitter: @philliesnation

Game 1 of the Post-Utley/Polanco Experiment went about as well as it could go. Wilson Valdez played second base and hit a three-run bomb. The Phillies won the game, the Braves and Mets lost, and all is well with the world. Greg Dobbs went hitless, but we’ll give him a pass after the roller-coaster ride the team put everyone on. Dobbs tenure at third will be of the day-to-day variety, it would seem.

To today’s matchup, where Roy Halladay looks for double digits in wins for the sixth straight season. He’s faced the Reds twice in his career and has gone 1-0 with a 3.68 ERA. Who would you rather have on the mound with a series win at stake? Lets do it…

Aaron Harang is opposite the Doc and has been relatively sub-par this year, and for the previous two years as well. Over his past 71 starts, Harang has just 18 victories against 38 losses. The Phillies have shelled him over nine career starts, as he’s given up 32 earned runs over just 54 innings of work. After last night’s wild victory, an easier way to win would be to have Doc shut down a touch Cincy lineup and have Harang implode early. Seems possible given the circumstances.

LINEUP: Victorino CF, Dobbs 3B, Rollins SS, Howard 1B, Werth RF, Ibanez LF, Valdez 2B, Sardinha C, Halladay P
Konigshoeven Blond Trappist Ale
Your Gameday Beer Samuel Adams Latitude 48

As part of the Sam Adams Brewmaster’s Collection, and one of the newest to grace the Sam name, Latitude 48 is a unique IPA brewed with a select blend of hops from top German, English, and American growing regions all located close to the 48th latitude within the “hop belt” of the Northern Hemisphere. I’ve yet to try this beer, but basically anything made by these guys is brilliant. For the early day game, have some smoked salmon for lunch, it’s a great pairing. -By Pat

GO PHILLIES!

1. Heather

June 30, 2010 at 11:54 am

Not game related, but beer related: I’m tempted to get the Brewmaster collection because I’ve wanted to taste this beer, but I don’t like the Blackberry Witbier in there, so I’ve always passed. Anyone actually try the Latitude 48? Any good? Worth the purchase if I’m going to throw away the two Blackberry Wibiers?

2. phillyboy

June 30, 2010 at 12:26 pm

LETS GO PHILLIES

3. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Dobbs again in the second spot. Rollins then Werth. My god. Are we trying to lose.

4. bfo_33

June 30, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Pat – 7-8-9 is Valdez, Sardinha, and Halladay.

Heather – I have the same issue, hate the Cherry Wheat (like drinking a beer with a Luden’s cherry cough drop), can stomach the Blackberry, but not a fan. I’ve tried all the rest but the Lat 48, all very good to great (esp the Creamy Stout) – wondering whether it’s worth buying a case to dump 4.

5. Don M

June 30, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Jeff,

when you say “we” .. I assume you’re talking about the Mets? Obviously you’re not talking about the Phillies, since you’re the biggest ANTI-FAN in the history of this blog

6. bfo_33

June 30, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Dobbs is batting .444 against Harang career.

7. phillyboy

June 30, 2010 at 12:46 pm

NICE START

8. Mark

June 30, 2010 at 12:55 pm

rollins – CHOKE
    Werth- CHOKE

9. Keep the ball, this ain't Wrigley

June 30, 2010 at 12:55 pm

With a strike zone this wide, Hallday should have at least 10 strike outs.

I hate umpires- their job could easily be replaced by a machine, yet they think everybody is there to see them.

10. Mark

June 30, 2010 at 12:56 pm

HOWARD- CHOKE

Just what you need form you big guys when the lineup is thin.

GAK

11. Keep the ball, this ain't Wrigley

June 30, 2010 at 12:58 pm

If Victorino gets to third like he should have on the hit by Dobbs, he scores on Howard’s ground out. Victorino and Werth have absolutely no baseball IQ.

12. Don M

June 30, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Mark –

Can you keep up this commentary for the full 9-innings? That would be awesome

13. Keep the ball, this ain't Wrigley

June 30, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Tell me again why we are supposed to hate Scott Rolen? Because he thought management was too cheap, and did not show a commitment to winning. Yea, I guess that is why we should boo him.

14. Don M

June 30, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Werth has no baseball IQ, because he struck out swinging against a Strikeout-pitcher?

I would agree completely that Victorino does not play fundemental baseball … he’s too aggressive at the wrong time, and not aggressive enough when the right time comes along ..

I would say that Werth is right there with Utley and Rollins in terms of baseball smarts though .. he plays hard, does the extra things that win games

15. phillyboy

June 30, 2010 at 1:05 pm

HERE WE GO WIYH ALL THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS!!HOW DID THAT WORK OUT LAST NIGHT???

16. Georgie

June 30, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Don, depending on how this game goes, or lots of times it doesn’t even matter, (like last night when they won), I guarantee you will be pulling your hair out by the roots and cursing some commentors (Jeff) due to extreme negativity.

17. Keep the ball, this ain't Wrigley

June 30, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Have you ever seen Werth choke up on the bat and just swing for a single when that is what the team needs? And let’s not forget some of the brain farts in the field.

18. Don M

June 30, 2010 at 1:09 pm

yea I hold nothing against Rolen … or Schilling

I think they are both a$$holes in personality, but I can’t blame either of them for not wanting to play in the Vet on a 5th place team for the rest of their careers

19. Mark

June 30, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Great job by the reulars so far

0-4 , weak groundout , 3k’s vs. a pitcher who can’t get anybody else in the league out.

Nice work, boys!

20. Keep the ball, this ain't Wrigley

June 30, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Also, how many 3-4 strikeout games have you seen from Werth? He is good for 2-3 a month.

21. phillyboy

June 30, 2010 at 1:11 pm

DUDE WERTH IS 1 OF THE BEST BASEBALL PLAYERS IN THE LEAGUE

22. Don M

June 30, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I just think its beat .. .like if you’re a Mets fan, or Braves, Nats, whoever ..

there’s no need to just talk smack on every out the phillies make, or everytime the other team scores a run.. I highly doubt that its a Reds fan .. and so if its a fan of another team, your life must suck to be posting anti-Phillies when they aren’t even playing each other

23. phillyboy

June 30, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I AGREE DON ITS LIKE WE ARE SUPPOSED TO WIN BY 50 EVERY NIGHT

24. Keep the ball, this ain't Wrigley

June 30, 2010 at 1:14 pm

When Werth is hot, he is one of the best baseball players in the league. When he is cold, he is painful to watch. He will get an 0-2 count before you even sit in your seat. And is good for a dirty knee strike also.

25. Georgie

June 30, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I had a feeling Lidge was going to blow that lead last night after he didn’t get that strike call from the “ump”, but I didn’t bail on the team because you can never be sure they won’t come back to tie or win. Now, think how it’d be if you were an Orioles fan….I swear every time I see the scores post-game, the O’s have lost. We are VERY fortunate to have a team like this in our city.

26. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Ok guys, we got a game with the Reds today. And that only means one thing. Bad News for the Reds.

27. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 1:23 pm

The people who complain about Rolen now are the same people who did not even go to the games when he played here. He was an amazing player and was the shining star on some incredibly bad teams.

28. phillyboy

June 30, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I HAVE ALSO SEEN WERTH HIT A HOMERUN FROM A KNEE 2 JUST SAYIN

29. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 1:26 pm

How is the good Doctors velocity today? Just found out that the game is blacked out in the Philly area – and my Comcast connection is off to work today (rat!)

30. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Hey did Dobbsy get his hit for the month of June?
    One can only hope he and the regulars just find that switch.

31. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Doc looks fine, haven’t really been noticing the radar. The Reds are swinging at a lot of pitches early in the count. A lot of 1-3 pitch at-bats for the Reds. A lot of weakly hit ground balls.

32. phillyboy

June 30, 2010 at 1:30 pm

ROY LOOKS GOOD AND DOBBS GOT A HIT

33. mark

June 30, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Wow. Jimmy popup’s return sure has ignited the offense,huh?
    His average has already dropped 30 points.

34. Georgie

June 30, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Does anyone else think harang kinda looks like a zombie?

35. Phan in the outfield

June 30, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Okay Mark & Keep This Ball: You’ve now successfully picked apart the entire middle line-up and shredded Werth (who I think most of the ppl here think is one of the better players in baseball today).

Have you used your best stuff, or should we count on more during this game? I think the people here want to enjoy the game by spending their time with some more constructive comments.

36. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Dobbs had a nice single in the first. Victorino should have moved up to third on the hit, but misread the ball. As far as Dobbs goes, sometimes you just have to play the hand you are dealt. He can’t look any worse than he has for the past year and a half.

37. Phan in the outfield

June 30, 2010 at 1:32 pm

George: Franzke just called him “… the lumbering Aaron Harang.”

38. Phan in the outfield

June 30, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Hm, 3 – 0 HR from Sardinha against the team that drafted him. Nice. Wow, maybe he turns out to be something.

39. JeffS

June 30, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Sardinha? U serious?? That’s what they need – help to come from places we normally wouldn’t expect.

40. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 1:35 pm

There is something you don’t see every day! Way to go Sardinha!
    Its like the new look Phillies are doing more than there part.
    Another 3 run HR!

41. The Second John

June 30, 2010 at 1:36 pm

GONE

42. Keep the Ball, this ain't Wrigley

June 30, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I’m sorry for criticizing Werth. I guess he is filling in for Utley’s role as Golden Boy on these boards. God forbid we ever have an honest assessment of Phillie with rugged good looks.

43. phillyboy

June 30, 2010 at 1:36 pm

3-RUN BOMB BABY

44. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Don, anti phillies fan. Im a bigger fan then you will ever be. just because i voice my opinion. I have season tickets for 15 years. I run a sports shop and have phillies do signings. i named my two month old son chase. think im a fan.

45. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Sardinha and Schneider have been a huge improvment over Paul Bako. I am totally convinced that in some language. “Bako” translats to “Ahh crap.”

46. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Doc has thrown 34 pitches going in to bot of the 4th. Unreal!
    I think it was pretty late when I shared what Sarge said on the pre-game show last night – the Phillies PH were a combined 11 for 95 before last night. Absolutely the worst in the majors. How could that be? I’m sure I wasn’t the only dope that figured the Phils cleaned house and brought in some new blood that this bench would be much better than 09 (would not have taken much..) but its actually performed worse..

For a while, the PH are the starters and perhaps things will be different.

47. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 1:45 pm

C’mon Doc

48. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 1:46 pm

The thing with the Phillies pinch hitters is that alot of them are getting regular playing time, so they are not pinch hitting. Like Schneider, Valdez and Castro. Gload has been fine at pinch hitting. Can’t really complain about him too much. But Ben Francisco and Dobbs have been pretty lame.

Nice recovery by Doc there.

49. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Did you see that Dos Equis commercial just there with the Most Interesting man in the world in the hot spring with the monkeys? I am spending $2000 to go there in December. I can’t wait.

50. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 1:47 pm

You have to admit, 11 for 95 is rather like having an AL pitcher with the bat in his hands.

51. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Anybody heading out to Pittsburgh for the games this weekend? PNC is easily one of the best parks in the league. It’s a perfect stadium.

52. The Second John

June 30, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Dobbs hitting the ball hard today. May at-bats was what he needed after all.

53. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Been talking about it $$$ – decided I would work instead.
    Probably going to look for the Orioles hosting Seattle and see if we can get tickets to watch Lee pitch.

Would you rate PNC better than Camden Yards?

I still have CBP as the best – seeing the field from the concourse is tops – now, I haven’t been to many (this year Yankee stadium and the Nat’s nest).

54. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Buster Onley said the Mets and Twins will get into a bidding war for Lee. He said the Yankees will make a call but might wait and sign him after the season. Lets hope the Twins get him for there catching prospect. God just to dream of having Doc and Lee back to back. Oh well.

55. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Beautiful 1-2-3 by Doc! An 8 pitch inning which followed a 19 pitch inning.

56. Bobby D

June 30, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Just wanted to check in from the beach at 19th street in Wildwood. Listening to the game on my iPhone, drinking a beer. Not gonna lie, this is enjoyable.

57. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:00 pm

This is where Harang says goodbye

58. Phan in the outfield

June 30, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Nobody is saying not to voice your opinion. But you’re so consistently negative that it’s overwhelming, almost consuming. The regulars have a very healthy exchange of ideas, theories & opinions about anything & everything about the Phillies.

Probably the only player who tends to be out of reach is Utley. Werth never has been out of reach, not for any reason, looks or otherwise. I’d say there are an equal number of people who beat him up b/c of his looks as those who do not beat him up b/c of his looks. And frankly I can’t believe this is even in discussion with a BASEBALL PLAYER. Wow this is stupid.

In any case, let’s address it – it’s difficult to fault a guy with his baseball family (knowledge) & upbringing, as well as his history: the pretty intense injury (not his fault), overcoming being thrown on the dungheap, the hard work he’s put in & continues to consistently put in (he’s played no less than 4 positions), and becoming a much needed, under-paid 4 – 5 tool player on a team full of stars. In a city that loves to beat on its sports stars, Werth has turned out to be a well liked guy (as are Howard, Rollins, Victorino, and Utley). No small feat.

59. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Yea, I do put PNC over Camden Yards. And I put Camden Yards over CBP just based on the fact the concourses at Camden Yards are so much wider. CBP gets a little jammed up at times, especially during rain delays.

At PNC the second level along the 3rd base line is an amazing view of the field and the city. The exterior of the building is great. And I really like how most of the seats in the stadium are in the lower level, almost 2/3rds of the seats are lower level. And you can get tickets for less than face value from the scalpers.

60. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 2:04 pm

The other great thing about PNC. Attendence is so bad that everybody receives one free ticket a year just by signing up on the Pirates website.

61. mark

June 30, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Would it kill one of the regulars to get a FRIGGIN CLUTCH hit ?
    Werth-CHOKE
    Ibanez-USELESS ( he got his weekly hit already last night)

62. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Morris, you put a winning team in either Pittsburg or Baltimore and those concourses will get skinnier.

Every game here is a sellout. I have never seen anything like it.

63. Phan in the outfield

June 30, 2010 at 2:09 pm

They’re winning Mark & Keep the Ball. Bottom of the 6th and it’s 3 – 0. It IS a ‘team’ after all. Not every single one of them is ON every single day. And I don’t think you’re using the word “choke” and/or “clutch” under the right circumstances. However, it could just be me.

64. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Dane put a charge into that one.

65. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:10 pm

This Votto is getting on my nerves

66. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Settle down Doc – settle

67. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Saying Dobbs should no way batting 2 is crazy. Why is that negative. A guy we were so happy to get rid of is now back up batting in the top. What about Rollins then Werth. Sticking Dobbs at 6.

68. Phan in the outfield

June 30, 2010 at 2:13 pm

55 RBIs and 18 HRs – I hate that Votto. Great, now it’s 3 – 1. Jeeze, that should’ve broken his bat.

69. The Original Chuck P

June 30, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Doc is going 9 innings today…

70. Georgie

June 30, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Jamie’s looking hot with his hair a little longer, not that anyone cares, but just sayin…..

Bobby D from the beach…shut up, I’m jealous!

71. phillyboy

June 30, 2010 at 2:17 pm

THAT IS JUST NASTY

72. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I was at 2 games during the Torono series over the weekend. It was such a pleasant crowd. I am partial season ticket holder, and some of the people at the games drive me nuts. It is a very drunken and rude crowd at the games quite often. It was nice to see more familes at the game, and more people there to enjoy themselves at a baseball game instead of just being at an event.

I have seen the Phillies play at Camden Yards a few times. And even with that many people the crowd flows better. I hate trying to walk through Ashburn Alley some games. I love CBP but the narrow concourses is the only thing I don’t like. And I hate the people who throw back home run balls from the opposing team.

73. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Alright Shane now take this base!

74. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 2:24 pm

How come Victorino does not steal bases anymore?

75. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I’m asking the same question Morris

76. Keep the Ball, This ain't Wrigley

June 30, 2010 at 2:30 pm

The throwing the ball back when the road team hits a HR at Citizens Bank is pathetic. First of all, it is a Cubs tradition. Why would Phillies fans want to be like Cubs fans? That would be like LA Laker fans wanting to be like New Jersey Nets fans. Or Patriot fans wanting to be like Cleveland Browns fans. You might as well just wear a Cubs jersey to the game. Also, after you throw it, the ball girl just gives it to some little kid whose parents can afford great seats.

77. mark

June 30, 2010 at 2:31 pm

attaboy Jimmy Popup. Way to come up big when you team needs you!

Nice job. Keep swinging for that fence. With any luck you’ll have that average down to .250 by the end of the weekend.

78. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Just seems like the Phillies no longer steal bases. They don’t even try or threaten to. Doesn’t make sense to me. I understand Rollins not going because of the bad leg. But what is the excuse for Victorino, Werth and Utley?

79. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 2:32 pm

sorry to be negative but werth has to make that catch. you want big money you make the catch. trade him for lee.

80. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I am only 5’8″, the first year at CBP I thought I was going to get ill walking Ashburn Alley – like the world was closing in on me!

Quite used to the bustle now, I have had a few partial season plans every year at CBP, this year a FSP.

Throwing back the opposing teams hr balls is a tradition down there. If I had a kid with me and got the ball, it would not matter to me one bit.

81. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Strike out here would be nice or a pop up…

82. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 2:33 pm

BRING BACK LEE…BRING BACK LEE. Doc is getting the hammer

83. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Stop the bleeding Roy – you can do it.

84. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Is that Ricky Watters playing right field for the Phillies today?

85. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Jeff are you 7?

86. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Damn its that Votto

87. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Joey’s depression is coming back. oh no. get him and vick committed.

88. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Wow, that was a horrible called 3rd strike on Votto. It was not even close.

89. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 2:37 pm

a little bigger but thanks brook.

90. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Another recovery sweet!

91. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Rhodes again? Feeding time?

92. Don M

June 30, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Jeff …

first, you really named your son Chase.. after Utley? So we found the one player in the organization that you don’t think sucks.

second, why on Earth would the Mariners trade Cliff Lee for Jayson Werth, who is also a Free Agent to be …

Your insightful, negative critcism, should land you a permanent spot on 610-WIP

93. The Original Chuck P

June 30, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I’ll take it… questionable third strike to Votto, weak pop fly to Rolen to get out of the jam. Who closes today?

94. phillyboy

June 30, 2010 at 2:40 pm

YEA HE IS REALLY GETTING HAMMERED U GUYS KILL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

95. mark

June 30, 2010 at 2:41 pm

11 hits- yeah , he’s getting around, but he usaully does.

96. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Ugh!

97. phillyboy

June 30, 2010 at 2:42 pm

SUPERSTAR PITCHERS GET THOSE CALLS

98. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Cmon Jay, we need some distance here.

99. mark

June 30, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Howard-
    CHOKE

Werthless -CHOKE

100. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:43 pm

From what I heard, Rhodes was looking like this most of the season, before last night – he set a record for 33 straight innings without giving up a run

101. Georgie

June 30, 2010 at 2:43 pm

haha, Raul’s tobacco wad gets bigger every day!

102. Phan in the outfield

June 30, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Apparently he’s called one or two questionable strikes for Howard and Werth too. At least this ump is consistently inconsistent.

103. mark

June 30, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Say hello to the .230’s Raul.

Can ANYbody explain why this guy stil has a starting job?

104. Phan in Atl

June 30, 2010 at 2:45 pm

96 pitches thru 7 for Doc. Obviously he starts the 8th inning. If he holds the lead and they bring in Lidge for the 9th I’m gonna go outside and mow the lawn cuz I can’t take any more meltdowns.

105. mark

June 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm

jimmy Popup, Howard, Werth, Ibanez….
    2-12
    0 RBI
    11 LOB

Awesome!!

106. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Crud.

107. phillyboy

June 30, 2010 at 2:49 pm

THE ONLY WAY ROY COMES OUT IS IF HE GIVES UP THE LEAD.OTHER THEN THAT HE GOES 9

108. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Well, I guess we dont have to wait to see what Lidge does.

109. Midwest Philly Phan

June 30, 2010 at 2:49 pm

See, here in the 8th is where we need a healthy Madson. He has performed well as a setup man in previous years. We really need that 8-9 punch back

110. Georgie

June 30, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Oh, crap. Charlie’s going to have to crack down on Roy’s insistence on going too deep into games.

111. The Original Chuck P

June 30, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Fark…

112. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 2:50 pm

This Reds team reminds me of how the Phillies were the past few years. The game was never over.

113. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:51 pm

No W for Roy today – it looks like the bottom of the lineup has to get it done if its getting done…

114. Don M

June 30, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Mark,

can you at least tell us which NY team you regularly route for? Or does it vary week-to-week depending on who has the better overall record?

115. mark

June 30, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Atta boy, Roy. join the CHOKEfest.

Nice 13 hitter .

Good pitcher , but you ain’t a big game guy.

116. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:52 pm

No doubt, Cholly is on his way – who is coming in?

117. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 2:54 pm

So basically, right now, Charlie Manual is saying that his best arm out of the bullpen to keep a deficit at 1 run in the 8th is Roy Halladay.

118. mark

June 30, 2010 at 2:55 pm

anybody notice a pattern???

Red sox- he gets lit up
    Yankees- he gets lit up
    Twins- he gets lit up
    Reds- he gets lit up

Toronto- pitches well.

119. josh

June 30, 2010 at 2:56 pm

how is a meaningless june game against cincinnati a “big game”?

120. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Morris, if you can understand Cholly – you have it on most of us

121. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Valdez, Sardinha and Gload? Castro? Bocock? Francisco? I would swap up Benny with Ibanez for sure (maybe if they can keep alive)

122. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Wilson first pitch swinging

123. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Gload continues to impress. Who is next?

124. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Benny is long overdue for a big shot

125. MysteryMet

June 30, 2010 at 3:02 pm

It’s a “big game” because it’s the rubber game of a series with your “ace” on the mound. It’s actually the reason Halladay was brought to Philly – to win these types of games.

126. The Original Chuck P

June 30, 2010 at 3:02 pm

The Reds aren’t in first place for no reason… they’ve got a nice team.

127. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 3:03 pm

B (

128. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 3:04 pm

The Reds aren’t in first place. They are in second.

129. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Pretty pathetic effort by the offense again.

130. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Another game that should not have been lost – wow

131. Bob

June 30, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Great now most comments get to be about how this team sucks for the next day….

They are going to have games like this with 2 key members of the lineup missing. Halladay can not be perfect each game. He wasnt great and he wasnt terrible.

They are still playing some pretty good baseball lately, the objective is to hang in until Utley/Polanco return.

3 of 4 from the Pirates….go get it.

132. danh

June 30, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Unfortunately I agree that halladay might not be a big game pitcher. I would feel much more comfortable with Cliff lee on the mound in the playoffs than halladay. Halladay pitched all those years for toronto with no pressure.

133. Hot dogs

June 30, 2010 at 3:09 pm

a complete game loss is still a loss

134. SpinJamin

June 30, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Im sorry but what the hell is Charlie thinking continually leaving Roy in all the time? Roy had a hard enough time getting out of the 7th without giving up the lead then he just brings him back out there again? What is wrong with 7 innings and 2 runs earned? Bullpen should be able to take over. This is a team sport right? Another game where I hate the moves that Charlie makes.

135. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Thank goodness for Dane Sardinha. The comments will be about how Rollins/Howard/Werth/Ibanez had yet another invisible game. Although Werth had an impact by totally misplaying that ball in the outfield and giving up a run.

136. mark

June 30, 2010 at 3:11 pm

the pattern is- he doesn’t get it done vs. the good teams

So much for the 23 win talk, huh?

More like 17-15.

137. jt

June 30, 2010 at 3:11 pm

halladay arm might fall off before the seasons over…why didn’t charlie go to the bullpen?i like charlie and all,but he’s horrible when it comes to managing pitching..

138. Ed R.

June 30, 2010 at 3:13 pm

If you think Roy got lit up today then you must have only looked at the box score and not actually watched the game.

Roy only had 96 pitches through 7 innings…but I would not have brought him in for the 8th inning considering he was losing it in the 7th.

139. scott in d.c.

June 30, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Halladay gave up too many hits, sure, but we needed to see a lot more today from Rollins, Howard, Werth, and Ibanez.

140. Ed R.

June 30, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Phillies struck out 8 times today…7 of them came from the 3-4-5-6 hitters…glad the middle of our order came through for us.

141. Troutman

June 30, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Anybody else starting to consider the “B” word for Halladay? I know all you Phils’ apologist will jump all over me, but this guy is finding ways to lose. Cliff Lee? Always found ways to win. I’d expect Sally Girl Hamels to cough up a 3-0 lead, not a “stud” like Halladay. I’m getting close to calling him a BUST.

142. The Original Chuck P

June 30, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Morris- the Reds are one up in the win column…

June 30, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Doesn’t it ALWAYS seem like Shane is the one who makes the final out of a game?

144. jt

June 30, 2010 at 3:20 pm

even when they traded for doc and got rid of lee,i still wanted lee…if not for him we would of been swept in the world series or maybe not even made it there and he had already proven he can pitch in big games after the world series and amaro trades him away…what a moron…

145. The Original Chuck P

June 30, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Someone else mentioned Madson… we missed him today, big time. Close game, 8th inning with no one to turn to. Injuries stink… gotta weather this storm.

146. Morris Buttermaker

June 30, 2010 at 3:23 pm

The injuries stink, but there are too many guys not pulling their weight. This team has too much talent to be making excuses.

147. Greg

June 30, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Call him a bust for 4 runs over 8 innings? Especially when it should have been fewer, but Werth misplayed a ball, bad. If the Phillies can’t score 4 runs, they shouldn’t win. Period. Don’t ride pitchers when it’s our bats that need to come alive, and stay breathing.

148. Ed R.

June 30, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Chuck P…we could have gone to Contreras…which is what I would have done in the 8th. But I hear ya, with Madson he is another option.

149. Ed R.

June 30, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Amen Greg.

150. NickFromGermantown

June 30, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Oh well, not all is lost. Halladay pitched well enough to win, just needed the offense to take advantage of more situations.

Before everyone jumps off a bridge, remember that the Reds are good. At least we salvaged yesterday’s near-debacle.

151. Troutman

June 30, 2010 at 3:30 pm

So, Greg and Ed R.: an ERA today of 4.50 is acceptable for someone who is supposed to be our Horse? Sorry it isn’t. Compound that with the fact that it was 3-0, and, I’m sorry, but Halladay has to take a bit of a hit today.

152. teejvee

June 30, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Werth is back in the tank.

Howard continues his homerless ways.

Ibanez is a season long disaster.

Rollins has hit .200 since his return.

Other than that, everything is fine.

Look for nothing but struggles in Pitt.

153. The Original Chuck P

June 30, 2010 at 3:32 pm

CAN WE STOP MENTIONING CLIFF LEE??? SERIOUSLY… GET OVER IT.

If you think that we would have been better off with Cliff Lee (and not Roy Halladay) you have no credibility because it’s a NO BRAINER. Roy Halladay is arguably the greatest pitcher of this era. Cliff Lee is a nice pitcher that had a great postseason run. He was 7-4 during the regular season with the Phillies last year with a 3.39 ERA. Roy Halladay was 9-6 heading into today with a 2.29 ERA. Some of those losses were not his fault… like, most of them. The guy has been awesome and I don’t understand why we can’t leave Cliff Lee out of it.

154. Bob

June 30, 2010 at 3:34 pm

LMAO yea Halladay sucks….

If he gets pulled after 7 and the bullpen implodes then it’s “why didnt Charlie keep Roy in?”

You ride the horse that got you there and Roy is a horse. He wasn’t tired, he made a bad pitch.

Even that guy in Seattle made some bad pitches from time to time.

Roy isnt a big game pitcher? HAHA, yea ok. 2.35 (?) ERA now, damn what were we thinking getting this bum?

155. NickFromGermantown

June 30, 2010 at 3:35 pm

The Original Chuck P, we keep bringing up Lee because we need him now. Out rotation still has a lot of question marks and our offense has been inconsistent. When you can’t count on the offense regularly, you have to count on the pitching. Or luck. You pick.

156. teejvee

June 30, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Even before injury, I’d estimate this year’s homer totals to be

Howard: 35
    Utley: 20
    Werth: 25
    Ibanez: 12

Compare those to last year.

157. Bob

June 30, 2010 at 3:41 pm

The fact is that we were not signing Lee after this season. Lee wants MAX money. This team is not the New York Yankees or Boston Red Sox, they don’t have their own TV network.

Halladay has been outstanding
    Hamels has been mostly good this year and getting back to previous form
    Blanton is a 2nd half guy
    Moyer has been nothing short of outstanding from what we can expect
    Kendrick is Kendrick

We will see what Happ has upon his return.

And Amaro will do SOMETHING. He will address the bench and you will probably see another pitcher in here.

Some just gotta chill the hell out. This team has been playing much better over the last couple weeks. Losses like today happen, even to Roy Halladay and even to that guy in Seattle.

158. shag beta sigma delta

June 30, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I did not see this game, but Charlie, whom I like, has a problem taking a pitcher out before he gives up the lead. I know Halliday wants to go 9 every time, but he gave up a run in the 6th and 7th. You need to trust you pen to get you 6 outs. And I think the pen has been underworked, Jose can pitch back to back nights, he only throw one pitch last nigh, and JC threw what 10? Even if you have to go the american league route and bring a guy for each batter you do that in this game to give you Ace a win. Charlie did with KK the other night also, no way he should have been brought back out in the 7th, when they start to get hit you need to take them out. I do not know where this lack of confidence in the pen comes from, does it all go back to one game where they blew a 5 run lead. Charlie needs to get over that, and bring in a guy to start the 7-8 or 9th inning when the starter is starting to get hit, not wait til after he is done and lost a lead.
    But it is only one loss, just leaves us little room in Pittsgurgh, we need a sweep, because with this offense, 1 out of 3 in Atlanta will be tough

159. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Chuck P you get over it. Lee is eating Doc this year. Three complete games. With a horrible team. He shut the Yankees down. When you have a three run lead with your ace you win. Doc did not do it. Like I said earlier he got hammered. Should of kept Lee and Drabek and that would of been better. Doc will not be the same here. 13 HITS. They just find new ways to lose. So happy Howie got his money. No power. This team is going nowhere.

160. The Original Chuck P

June 30, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Werth is back in the tank… let’s see, he’s 4/10 over the past three games with 3 BB and 5 R. Sounds terrible, doesn’t it?

Howard is hitting .295 with 15 HR and 55 RBI… on pace for 30+ HR and 120+ RBI. What a bum…

Ibanez has collected a hit in 8 of the past 11 games… he’s not lighting the world on fire but he has showed some signs that he’s going to come out of this (and we’re going to need him to).

Betcha they sweep the Poo-rates…

161. shag beta sigma delta

June 30, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Jeff you need to climb back into the whole you came from in NY or where ever. This team has not been together for the whole year, and even if the Mutts and Baves win tonight, they will only be 2 games back in the loss column, and that is with a average to bad june. So get over yourself, pitchers go through these types of streaches like batters do, Charlie has to learn to trust his pen again, and get these starters wins so guys like you can’t complain about win lose records. Unlike your team the Mets last year, which just went into the tank when their guys got hurt, the Phillies are still withing striking distance dispite not having 2/3 of the rotation for most of the year, and 2/3 of you infield out, so go smoke some grass and go back to NY and cheer for your Mets team, who despite the Phillies strugles have not pulled away form anybody in the east.

162. Phan in the outfield

June 30, 2010 at 3:52 pm

teejvee: Howard’s avg is 295. Werth’s avg is 292.
    They both were 1 – 4 today but Werth had a run.
    Werth currently has 1 less HR than Howard.
    Ibanez hit in a bunch of runs the night we went into extra innings to beat the Reds.
    I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

163. The Original Chuck P

June 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Rollins’ value… grammatical abortion.

164. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 3:58 pm

shag beta I hope thats a real college. WHOLE…Its hole moron. How can Charlie learn to trust his pen. HE HAS NO PEN. DUMMY

165. Bob

June 30, 2010 at 3:59 pm

@Jeff

Halladay now has 6 complete games…..Cliffy got some catching up to do.

Would someone please grace everyone with some of the comments when Amaro landed Lee instead of Halladay? We can see who the true hypocrites are.

166. MikeB.

June 30, 2010 at 4:01 pm

A team loss today; from the starting pitcher all the way down to the manager. At least Halladay kept his team in the game and should have been relieved after seven innings. Not enough offense; if not for our catcher’s home run, would have been shut out. Werth’s defensive miscue came up big as it led to losing margin of one run. Ibanez and Victorino; not getting it done at all at the plate. Phillies continue not being able to solve Red’s pitcher Harang when other teams areable to hit him around. Uneasy thought as to how the Phils are going to fare against Atlanta and the Reds next week at CBP.

167. Troutman

June 30, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Hey The Original Chuck P…I’ll bet you one billion dollars (pinky at side of mouth) that the Phils don’t sweep the Pirates. They way they are playing this year, combined with the fact they never play well in Pittsburgh, makes me think they’ll be lucky to split the series.

168. The Original Chuck P

June 30, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Hey Jeff… Halladay was pretty good early on, too while Cliff Lee was on the DL.

Cliff Lee has gotten 5.17 runs of support on average on a “crappy” team… Roy Halladay has gotten 4.50 runs of support, 7th worst in MLB.

Cliff Lee has one CG SHO to Roy’s three (one being perfect).

169. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Great we are not paying the best pitcher in baseball to be good early on. He is your ace. After a dramatic win last night and you have a 3 run lead tody, you win. thats why he is here. lee fit this team so much better.

170. The Original Chuck P

June 30, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Cliff Lee is a GREAT pitcher, don’t get me wrong and I would have loved to have kept him and Halladay but if it really did come down to Lee or Halladay, I see absolutely no way that you could go the other way, especially considering Cliff Lee is going to be a free agent. I think that we should have kept them both but I’m playing with Monopoly money.

The pitching match-ups aren’t bad for this upcoming series: Hamels/McCutchen (favors Hamels)
    Moyer/Ohlendorf (favors Moyer)
    Kendrick/Maholm (favors Maholm but Kendrick’s pitching life is on the line so maybe he’s got a gem in him)
    Blanton/Karsten (toss up… maybe Blanton slightly)

A 4 game sweep is probably wishful thinking but I could see it happening.

171. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 4:11 pm

If this offense cannot score more than 4 runs in a game, something is wrong and it aint the pitching.

Another gutty performance by Doc – the offense, excuse me, the big money players did not perform again. That is the reason for this Loss today.

172. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 4:11 pm

great. halladay should be proud of this complete game. he threw no pitches inside today. let the reds swing away. i was all for having lee. i thought jr did right by holding strong. got a great pitcher that everyone in baseball now wants. lee with that catch in the world series with one hand. thats the man/.

173. Ted Bell

June 30, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I don’t see a sweep in Pittsburgh. They’ll be lucky to get out of there with a split. This team obviously has major issues to address.

I’m Ted Bell.

174. Greg

June 30, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Jeff, if you were a fan, why would you want an inferior pitcher? Cliff Lee is DAMN GOOD. He is not as good as Roy Halladay, still though. Halladay has a 2.35 ERA after over 11 games. He has 3 CG SO’s, one BEING A PERFECT GAME, and then he has 3 more CG’s. Guess what though! He lost one of those CG’s because of an anemic offense. Halladay’s SUPERB pitching is NOT the problem. It’s the team’s offensive struggles that have hurt him. IF Halladay had 5 runs per game, he’d probably be around 14 wins right now. His losses in complete games came on a 2-1, and 1-0 (After 8 IP).

What a bum. Cliff Lee’s getting RUN SUPPORT. Look it up. It’s something Halladay hasn’t gotten all year.

175. Skip Pennington

June 30, 2010 at 4:20 pm

It’s a damn shame. No bullpen. No hitting. No win. Then Phils are not going to make the playoffs, in my opinion. It was a nice run while it lasted.

176. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 4:21 pm

He got three runs today. Should be enough for your ace. Halladay has gotten beat up by all the good hitting teams.

177. Greg

June 30, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Also Jeff, let me put this into perspective: Would you rather have Cliff Lee for 1 year, then have Hamels be our ace again after Lee signs in Free Agency with another team, or would you rather have Roy Halladay for 3 years, at the STEAL of 60 million dollars, no question’s asked? You can only choose one. Which is it?

If you chose Halladay, you are Ruben Amaro Jr., and you’ve made the choice the Ownership told him he had to make.

If you chose Lee, you’re a dumbass who doesn’t care about the future of this team. Thus, it could be assumed that you have never watched the Phillies pre-2007, when having a pitcher like Figueroa or Eaton was the big topic. Not Lee or Halladay.

178. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I will say this now. You guys will all regreat that howard contract. Wait and see.

179. Greg

June 30, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Jeff, why are you changing the subject? Also, three runs was enough, if Werth had made that catch. But he didn’t, so we suffered a loss. If you’re not a fan, leave this site.

Immaturity is one thing, but you’re taking it to a whole new level with your trolling.

180. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I would gotten halladay and kept lee for 9 million. world series lock.

181. Brooks

June 30, 2010 at 4:24 pm

So Jeff, Mark – kids – what we need to see is every time that Roy Halladay pitches, he should give up 2 runs or less? Wait, I take that back. On May the 18th he gave up 2 runs to the Pirates and lost 2-1. On June 10th, he gave up 1 run to Fla and lost. So, he should pitch just shutouts every game. What a slacker@!

His ERA is 2.42 guys! His record should be more like 12 (or 13) wins and 3 losses if he had run support.

182. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 4:24 pm

you guys put werth, halladay, howard on the moon. werth is so overrated for one. i have no idea why he did what he did. maybe juice. he is a very nice player not worth what he is looing for. they should of let howard play out his contract. he will be in his mid 30s.

183. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 4:25 pm

pirates and florida. two teams that stink. how bout holding the yankees down, or even the sox.

184. teejvee

June 30, 2010 at 4:26 pm

“Rollins’s value goes wayyyyy beyong his batting average (but anyone who watched this team struggle while he was out already knows that).”

Like? ?????
    He’s hitting .200 since his return.
    He’s not been a factor except in maybe 2 games.

He’s just another guy killing this team offensively.

185. Greg

June 30, 2010 at 4:26 pm

That wasn’t a choice, Jeff! Ruben HAD to choose, Halladay for 3 years, Lee for none. Or Lee for 1 year, Halladay slips away.

THOSE ARE THE ONLY TWO POSSIBLE CHOICES. Don’t you think Ruben would have loved to have Two legitimate aces? The guy is a fan of the team. Hell, he played for it. He loves this team. Sure, he’s made some bonehead choices, but he was given two possible scenario’s, and he chose the one 99.99% of people with IQ’s over 60 would choose.

186. Don M

June 30, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Phillies are averaging 4.75 runs per game …

and in the last week, the scored 9 runs or more, FOUR times

….
    People forgetting the Polanco, Utley, and Ruiz are on the DL and they aren’t going to put up firework-offense everynight without those guys

Reds are no joke either, they lead the NL in Batting Average, Runs, Hits, RBI and SLG%

187. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I have a beautiful Halladay authentic jersey for 65. if anyone wants to buy.

188. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Ok Greg, why not hold onto lee for a few more weeks then give him away for trash. please. three players that will never be heard from again for one of the games top pitchers. its worst then what we gave up for him.

189. Greg

June 30, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Good. Sell all your Phillies paraphernalia. Go back to rooting for whichever team wins the World Series the previous year. We don’t want bandwagon fans.

(FYI, last year, it was the Yankees…because our offensive sucked).

190. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Im selling it because i have one already. was being nice and selling if for 65. its sell for over 250.

191. Don M

June 30, 2010 at 4:34 pm

If ACE starters should only give up 3 runs a game, what does it say about Cliff Lee that his career ERA is a 1/2 run higher than Roy Halladay’s

Halladay = 3.37
    Lee = 3.86

In America, Halladay would be rounded down to a 3 ERA, while Lee would be rounded UP to a 4

also crazy.. is that Halladay, despite getting “Rocked” in his last few starts still has a lower ERA than Cliff Lee this year

Halladay = 2.42
    Lee = 2.45

192. Greg

June 30, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Jeff! I don’t know if you’re mentally retarded, or what, but you don’t understand! It’s not hard to comprehend. Ruben had TWO, count them, One…two…, choices. Halladay for 3 years, Lee for 1. Not keep Lee until the trade deadline, then trade him. He had to trade him to a lesser team that wouldn’t give us problems. Do you really think the Phillies want to give the Yankees a stud like Lee, or the Red Sox, or the Braves, or the Muts?

How stupid are you, Jeff?

Also, since when are you Miss. Effin Cleo? You can read the future? What do you have to say about Biddle? Is he going to flop, too? I’m going to laugh when Phillipe Aumont becomes one of the best pitchers in the league in four years, and when you find out, you’ll be sitting in an asylum wondering why your parents dropped you on your head repeatedly as a kid, and forced the ridicule upon you on a daily basis.

193. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Halladay could of pitched better today with a 3-0 lead. we did give away drabek and taylor.

194. Don M

June 30, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Jeff,

you are clearly a knowledgeable baseball fan ..

Explain to me.. how, if the Phillies STOLE Cliff Lee from the Indians, while Lee had 1.5 years left under contract

we would then get MORE in return from a team to get him for only 1 year, instead of 1.5 ….

It’s also been suggested that Amaro could have waited longer and gotten better prospects from such teams as the Yankees and RedSox … the same teams that didn’t want to give up more than what we did for Lee at 1.5 years, would then change their minds, and top that offer for 1.0 years of Cliff Lee?

Whenever you get a chance, thanks!

195. Greg

June 30, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I cannot believe this fruit loop is honestly thinking that an Ace has to throw a CG SO every time out…

196. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 4:38 pm

aumont. you mean the man that got sent way down. are you a moron. did not have to trade lee at the deadline but jr could of waited a couple more weeks in the offseason. put his name out there. they traded him because they wanted everyone to think it was apart of the doc deal. are you that stupid. all jr has done is given out these huge contracts. gillick cleaned all that crap up.

197. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 4:39 pm

i never said that greg and your p i s s i n g me off. i said you have your ace on the mound. you have key players hurt. 3-0 lead late and you need this man to shut the door.

198. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 4:40 pm

we gave nobody to get lee last season and for that we got a guy that almost won us a world series by himself.

199. Greg

June 30, 2010 at 4:42 pm

So why aren’t you riding Jayson for not making that catch? Why am I pissing you off? Because of your incompetence at understanding basic knowledge of a sport? Why aren’t you angry that the only runs came off of a fourth string catcher?

Priorities — Get them in order.

200. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 4:43 pm

now we have NO FARM, our players are getting older. Raul is a joke, Howard will need a wheelchair when his big deal is done. Jimmy is not the same player. Werth will be out of here after this season. We have a 47 year old pitcher that might have to stay until 50. Cole is not the guy he was. Shades of it at times but nowhere near. Blanton, Kendrick are you crazy. No pen or closer. no bench. where are they going. nobody in the league will trade for anyone.

201. Jeff

June 30, 2010 at 4:43 pm

And chooch is on fire right. please. not my fault jr gave howie all that money not to hit the long ball.

202. Greg

June 30, 2010 at 4:47 pm

And guess what: Roy Halladay was demoted from MLB to Single-A Dunedin…he came up later to win a Cy Young, have a Perfect game, and be appointed to the All-Star team more than 6 times.

Just because someone gets demoted, doesn’t mean he is a flop. It means he needs to work on his area, and improve. Doc did it, and he is now known as the best current pitcher in baseball.

Since you love Cliff Lee so much, here’s some information for you:

He was shuttled around from Triple A down to A+ in 2003. After getting promoted back up to Triple A in 2007, he again was ousted to A+.

What a flop, huh? Oh wait, in 2008, he won the Cy Young.

203. Ted Bell

June 30, 2010 at 4:47 pm

We won’t know for a few weeks what Seattle will get for Lee, but all the rumors are floating names that are much better prospects than what RAJ settled on. Of course they’re just rumors at this point, so until Seattle actually pulls the trigger we can’t evaluate how good or bad RAJ did with his Lee deal.

I’m Ted Bell.

204. Don M

June 30, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Cole Hamels DID win us a World Series by himself.. and at 26 years old, he’s far from reaching his peak as a Major League player

He’s still here …

and with him, we added a pitcher with better career numbers than Cliff Lee, in Roy Halladay .. and then signed Halladay to the exact extension that wasn’t enough money for Lee

Also … I think i’ve said this 5x in the past month, but the Phillies changed the arm-angle on Aumont’s delivery …. so of course his control is going to take a while to adjust.. his poor numbers are due in large part to him WALKING too many hitters

Since he’s still 21-22 years old, with a pro-sized body, and arm-stregth that you can’t teach … he’s still a super-prospect in the eyes of many

205. Ted Bell

June 30, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Don – It’s slightly disturbing that the centerpiece of the Lee deal is a “project player”. The common consensus is that for a player of Lee’s caliber (and for one full year of service) the return should have included at least one player that was close to being major league ready. I hope the rumor mills are wrong, because it seems like Seattle has a good chance of getting a bigger return for Lee as a two month rental than RAJ got for Lee as a full season player.

I’m Ted Bell.

206. Hot dogs

June 30, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Jeff If we have no farm and we don’t keep our core players, the ones who have won consistently for three years now, who do we put on the field? It sounds like you do not want to keep any of our current players at their contracts but go out and get other free agents. Sounds good get rid of current players that will be free agents and sign other free agents. Stupid.

207. tea

July 1, 2010 at 5:30 am

Thank you for sharing.I like Ìú¹ÛÒô