Phillies Back to Losing Ways as Yankees Rip Halladay – Phillies Nation
2010 Game Recaps

Phillies Back to Losing Ways as Yankees Rip Halladay

How about we stop calling it a slump? Let’s just call it how we see it. These are the 2010 Philadelphia Phillies. Forget April and early May, the thought of that quick start is long gone in the rear view mirror. It’s now June and the Phillies are a third place club.  After tonight’s 8-3 loss to the New York Yankees on a night in which Roy Halladay was very hittable, this season is on its way to being a very, very long one.

Halladay went six innings and allowed six earned runs, but he also gave up three home runs, something he’s done only nine times in his career.  One of those homers -Mark Teixeira’s solo shot in the fifth inning – would be a long fly out in many other ballparks. Not tonight. Not at Yankee Stadium. Not against the Phillies. On this evening, against one of the best pitchers in all of baseball, Tex got that ball inside the foul pole and over the 314-foot wall. Nick Swisher’s broken bat home run sums it up as well. The Phillies are in full snowball mode.

Offensively speaking, the frustrations continue to run deep.  All three Phillies runs, and four of their five hits, came in the fourth inning against C.C. Sabathia. In that inning, they were able to string together a bunch of singles and turn them into a crooked number. Still, they left the bases loaded as Raul Ibanez softly grounded out to second base.  Once again, they were unable to build on a successful inning.

Following that outburst, if you will, the Phillies managed one more hit; a Chase Utley single in the fifth.

In previous seasons, that three run inning would have been a six or seven run inning, perhaps with a long-ball thrown in. That six or seven would become 12 or 13 by games end.  That’s no longer the case with this team. Soft ground balls have become the norm while explosive innings filled with home runs and rallies are a distant memory.

As we long for the days of yore – when scoring runs in bunches was in fashion, when slapping the opponent into submission was chic, when Roy Halladay actually won games (wasn’t that long ago, really) – understand that this might be the year in a nutshell. Hope and pray for better days, but brace for more of the same.

1. Scotch Man

June 15, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Now is the time where you kind of have to just sit back and enjoy the game of baseball. I took this approach from ’95-’06 and it seemed to work alright. It’s a lousy stretch of games here and maybe they don’t rebound. It’s a good team having a bad season. It’ll happen. They’ll go on a nice tear before long I’m sure.

2. Brian Sr. of CO

June 15, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Sorry folks, its panic time. Not throw in the towel season is over time, there is a difference, but something must be done. Chances are good we will be in 4th place by the end of the week, possibility of LAST place by the end of last week if something doesnt happen.

3. Joba Chamberlain

June 15, 2010 at 10:58 pm

I was really looking forward to pitching in a tough spot tonight but my boys touched up Doc so nicely my services weren’t even needed.

Now we go for the sweep!!!!!!! Wish we could play philly more often!!!!!!!!

4. Brian Sr. of CO

June 15, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Bright side, Braves and Marlins lost. Bad thing, Mutts won.

5. AC from NJ

June 15, 2010 at 11:11 pm

It’s pretty hard being a Phils fan living in NY right now…it is a tough environment. I’m so fed up with Juan Castro…what a joke, can’t hit, missed balls in the field tonight…

Is he really any improvement over Bruntlett??

We need JRoll back and soon

6. Jeff of Nova

June 15, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Sadly I am not sure JRoll is the answer…… I mean I think a lot of people are expecting him to be the second coming of Christ

7. George

June 15, 2010 at 11:25 pm

It’s not yet “panic time.” “Very worried time,” yes, but not “panic time”.

Sabathia isn’t exactly chopped liver, but the Phils did score three runs off of him. The real problem in this game was that Halladay had one of his rare off days.

This team has always been one for scoring big in one inning, but doing nothing the rest of the game. The big inning tonight came against a pitcher who is very able to bear down and not allow more once he’s been touched up a little. Most of the time, three runs would be enough with Halladay pitching.

And yes, Castro is a huge improvement over Bruntlett. The Beard isn’t even playing these days, not that he could in 2009, either.

8. Adam C

June 15, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Where is Happ….and when is he due back?

9. Geoff

June 15, 2010 at 11:34 pm

This sucks. This team is becoming unwatchably bad, which is scary with this payroll. Aside from the games I have tickets to I will give them a pass until the World Cup is over, and if they don’t have it sorted by then they’re in deep trouble. Get rid of Ibanez, fast. And bring up Brown. The dressing room got to full of itself and it needs a wake up call. You can’t really trade anyone else because they’re too good when they are on. Raul is really the only one on this team you can unload. But his salary makes it tough, so you’re stuck with him. They can only afford to trade for a 3rd or 4th starter this season after losing all those prospects, so I wouldn’t expect anything more than that this year, maybe some bullpen help. This cold streak better end by Saturday because I do not intend to sit through 3 hours of this stuff if they cannot muster a good offensive performance.

Its sad that they have to keep sending Moyer and Kendrick out there. Moyer hasn’t even been the problem this year, and its nothing against him, its just sad that this team has to rely on a 50 year old man basically every 5th day. When you put it in that perspective Moyer is really amazing in that he is outperforming a few starters young enough to be his sons. On top of all that, we trade for Halladay and then the offense dies in his first year here.

There really isnt much you can do: cut Raul and eat all that money, bring up the kid Brown, play Francisco, I dunno. They are so committed to big money contracts they have little choice but to stand still and hope it works out.

10. MikeB.

June 15, 2010 at 11:39 pm

I would not go with Castro being a huge improvement over Bruntlett, just an improvement.

11. MikeB.

June 15, 2010 at 11:45 pm

The team, with the offense the way it is right now does not have the ability to support starts by Kendrick and Moyer.

12. mr south jersey

June 15, 2010 at 11:51 pm

phils best figure out a way to start stealing signs again, no one is really talking about it but the team has seriously struggled since that story broke

13. Mark

June 16, 2010 at 12:09 am

and the Braves are still playing Brian CO

14. joe

June 16, 2010 at 12:16 am

not making the playoffs.
    period.

so. thats that.

15. karen

June 16, 2010 at 12:38 am

I am not going cliff lee but….seattle is a team that was supposed to be a first place team after off season gains…..so, its not just us

16. MysteryMet

June 16, 2010 at 2:12 am

Good evening Philladelphia wow it is time to push the panic button for real out there huh, I mean no runs being score, no more stealing signs, the pitching sucks, bullpen sucks, I wonder what Halladay is thinking right now, I bet he’s wondering that he should’ve came to the Mets (or the Mutts like you guys call them) I mean spacious pitcher freindly ballpark, young core, good pitching, man I bet he has a gun to his head right now wishing he was a Met. Well here’s to ya Roy on a bad decision you made.

17. Johan Santana

June 16, 2010 at 2:37 am

At least you have a shot Roy!! The damn Mets conned my ass!! i could have just held at for a year an went to the Yankees. Instead I went to the Mets and got to watch C.C. and Cliff Lee pitch in the World Series. hell even Pedro was lucky enought to play for the Phillies and have one last taste of the post season. I should have listened to Pedro and just stayed in Minnesota after all they are in first place.

18. MysteryMet

June 16, 2010 at 2:58 am

Oh Johan it’s ok don’t worry, becuase soon you’ll ge Beltran back, and there’s going to be another pitcher behind you, also you have a good team playing for you, don’t worry about the Phillies anymore, cuz they have no farm system, they have no pitching, and they have a bunch of old guys that couldn’t hit a beach ball, also they have bad contracts, so from here on out you never have to worry about the phillies anymore cuz that’s a team that went down the drain, and has no future ahead of them, so the NL East will be all yours again

19. Pingback: Tweets that mention Phillies Back to Losing Ways as Yankees Rip Halladay | Phillies Nation -- Topsy.com

20. Phriggin Phils

June 16, 2010 at 8:26 am

Don’t worry! Doc had a bad night but, with our one-two punch, we’ll bounce right back! Cliff Lee dominated the Yankees in the WS and, with him following Doc, we can’t lose! We’ll pull… oh… wait… I forgot. We dumped him. Never mind. We deserve to lose. NY is our daddy.

21. Jeff of Nova

June 16, 2010 at 8:33 am

Karen, Seattle was “supposed” to be better, the Phillies had a track record of being great with the same roster. Big difference, only thing that has changed from last year is the pitching, bench and 3 big injuries(Happ, Rollins, Madson) Seattle did a roster overhaul.

22. Jeff of Nova

June 16, 2010 at 8:39 am

I know I am going to get some serious flack for saying this, but I thought long and hard before bringing it up.

We keep talking about change and something has to be done, we have no flexibility in money, because we have lots of high priced talent. Right now it seems as if Charlie’s laid back approach is just not working, the team is not responding to him at all.

I think it is time to maybe thank Charlie for his body of work and move on to a different coach, one that has a different demeanor.
    I mean this is not a losing streak it has become a way of playing. We have several that look lost at the plate and have for a month, 1 person happens, but 3-4 especially your best hitters (Utley, Werth, Ibanez, Victorino) I give Howard a pass cause he has actually hit during this just not Home Runs. Him and Polanco are keeping this team a float.

Bring in a new hitting coach is not going to change much, the Manager has the power!

23. Randomguy

June 16, 2010 at 8:50 am

Don’t fudge with my gaga!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

24. Phriggin Phils

June 16, 2010 at 9:05 am

Do you think that, if the Phils go back to being pathetic losers, the trolls won’t be as motivated to come here any more? Seems sad that thee best time to talk about your team without trolls ruining it is when your team is at its worst.

25. HotDogs

June 16, 2010 at 9:09 am

It’s not just the losing it’s the way they are losing. 2nd inning posada scores from first because victorino can’t hold onto the ball in center. 7th inning bastardo hits two guys utley cant turn a double play and castro cant stop a ground ball wich would have at least saved a run. Raul up in the 5th with bases loaded swings at 2-0 pitch out of the zone. they need a shake up.

26. Ed R.

June 16, 2010 at 9:16 am

Jeff I kind of agree with you. I have never been a huge Charlie guy and I have said it before but him not having a strong strategic bench coach like Jimy Williams is not helping him out at all. I was willing to stick it out with Charlie because the team was winning and because the guys genuinely loved playing for him. But as is the case with most if not all coaches, eventually your message gets stale. Eventually guys stop listening to you. I don’t know if that is the case here or not. I was afraid last year that the team after winning it all would become cocky and complacent. That didn’t happen but it seems like it might have this year. All the guys seem to think that eventually they will just come out of it and it will be ok because that is who this team is. Maybe they say that because it’s really all they can say or should say but it still somewhat bothers me.

I very seriously doubt that Charlie is going anywhere, not this year and unless they finish in last place, not next year either. But I do think something drastic should happen.

On paper this team is better than last year’s version. We upgraded at 3B. Upgraded our bench(we did upgrade it) slightly, Roy for Lee is a wash but Hamels is better than he was last year and with the exception of his last start so is Moyer. Lidge is back and seems to be doing well. Yes this team has injuries but last year when the Met’s were suffering through a miserable season, mostly attributed to injuries no one here wanted to give them credit, instead they just said the Met’s suck. By that logic the same should be said about this team that we all watch every night. If injuries didn’t effect how the Met’s did last year then we can’t really use it as a crutch for this year. I can only hope and pray that when J-Roll, Happ and Madson come back that this team rights itself and we charge forward to another division title but honestly, at this point, I am very concerned that this year just won’t ever come to fruition. I really don’t expect much of anything from Happ at all and J-Roll’s injury will probably linger. Sad to say it but I think this team’s window may have closed shortly after it opened. But I hope I am wrong.

27. Kate

June 16, 2010 at 9:22 am

OH. MY. GOD.

“…when Roy Halladay actually won games.” Are you serious? ARE YOU SERIOUS? The guy has a bad night that started out with a bunch of bad calls in the second (directly leading to all those runs) and all of a sudden he’s a has-been? Let’s not forget that even in CBP Teixeira’s “home run” would have barely even bounced off the wall.

Yes, things are looking bad. I for one am very concerned about Howard’s swing and Utley’s tired confusion turning to utter DISINTEREST last night, but the defense is still working rather well. Polanco stopped a number of disasters in the making and Howard stopped that one line drive right in its tracks.

I’m not ready to panic yet. August and September is our time.

I for one can’t wait for Rollins to get back and crack some skulls together.

June 16, 2010 at 9:34 am

Where did the power go???

We’re a weak lineup without the longball.. Utley, Howard, Werth and Ibanez are all supposed to be home run threats.. but these days the best thing they do is get singles. Freaking singles.

My biggest frustration is with Howard. He’s there to drive in runs, hit bombs, change the outcome of a game with a swing, as he has done many times throughout his career. Suddenly he can’t go deep. If it’s because he’s lost too much weight, I’d say he should stop eating healthy (Subway) and gain some pounds.

I want the longball back!

(Though maybe the fact that they’re all trying to hit bombs is what’s prolonging this offensive drought… rather than making good solid contact. Oh well.)

29. Ted Bell

June 16, 2010 at 9:44 am

Strange but true: Jonny Gomes is having a better year than anybody on the Phillies right now. Yikes!

Tonight and tomorrow night won’t be pretty folks. It’s probably the perfect time to forget about watching the games and spend some quality time with the family. I’d say that the over/under for runs allowed by Moyer and Kendrick will be 15. If I were betting I’d take the over.

I’m Ted Bell.

30. Ed R.

June 16, 2010 at 9:49 am

Manny, I think a lot of it has to do with Utley, Werth, Howard and Ibanez all seeing a lot less fastballs than they have in the past.

I don’t think Ibanez will ever get his power back, everything he hits(just about everything) is an awkward looking single through the first and second base hole.

I do think the rest of them will get their power stroke back at some point but I too am concerned with Howard. His average is up but his power is way way down.

31. Ted Bell

June 16, 2010 at 10:02 am

HRs are down across the board in both leagues. The common consensus is that drug testing is working.

If you like numbers, this post specifically looks at Howard:

32. Don M

June 16, 2010 at 10:04 am

There are 100 games left… I’m pretty confident that the Phillies can win 60 of them and get 92 wins on the season.

When the Braves STARTED the season in a slump, did their fans all start crying and complaing, and declaring the season over??

So why now that the Phillies are in their typical early-season slump (granted its usually not this late into the season when it happens), why is the season over?
    We normally suck balls in Interleague Play… so that doesn’t concern me right now, they usually add Bullpen and Bench help at the deadline, or on waivers before the playoffs start.

but seriously, with 100 games to go.. anyone that doesn’t think the Phillies will rebound and make the playoffs, you should just stop paying attention now… go enjoy your summer, and spare the real fans from your daily complaints

33. PaulyPizza

June 16, 2010 at 10:11 am

everyone needs to clam down. the season is barely 70 games old. We will get J roll , Happ, and Madison in a week period. This team is too good to keep on losing and being ineffectual offensively. The Braves will come down to earth. The Mutts will be Mutts and choke on their own chop deep eventually.
    Phillies will start kicking *(* and taking names soon enough.

34. The Dipsy

June 16, 2010 at 10:12 am

I think the problem that we are seeing is akin to a snowball rolling down a hill. Any team can go through a 5-7 game hitting slump but this team, instead of breaking it back down to basics and waiting for pitches and working counts, like they do in the playoffs and WS, and like the Yanks and Sox do all the time, are getting anxious and swinging at bad pitches. And its just keeps getting worse. When a team is in a slump, no pitcher will ever give you a fastball to hit if you will swing at all the breaking stuff.

The Phillies, as much as it may NOT work in the first or second game or maybe even third, must start taking pitches and getting in hitters counts so they can start getting fastballs to hit again. At the same time you can get into the teams’ horrible bullpens. Like Denzel said: This approach…”is like Novocaine. Give it time. It’ll work. Alas, that one coach from another team is right, “Just throw the Phils breaking pitches and they are all yours”. So the Dipsy’s prescription would be to start playing station to station baseball and get some plate discipline back. Play hit and run with the right guys. Start trying to steal again.

Yes, losing Jimmy hurts a lot. But Charlie is turning into Earl Weaver. TAKE PITCHES. WALK. STEAL. BUNT. Damn, there is more than one way to score than a three run homer.

The Dipsy

35. hot dogs

June 16, 2010 at 10:15 am

Don the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I am not giving up on the season we are still only 3 1/2 back. The lack of fight in this team is what scares me now. If we could expect them to just turn it around like the last few years then why make any changes at all. This team is to good for the way they are playing and it is painfull for any fan to watch.

36. Don M

June 16, 2010 at 10:21 am

Last year at the end of June (after a TERRIBLE month of June), the Phillies were 39-35 overall = .527 win %
    (11-15 in June 2009)

in 2008 at the end of June (after another losing month of June), the Phillies were 44-39 overall =.530 win %

and 12-14 in June 2008

we’re currently 32-30 = .516 win %

with 14 more games this month, so even if we keep playing TERRIBLE, and only play .500 ball until the end of the month, we’ll be looking at a 39-37 record thru 76 games, with still 86 more to play …

.500 ball thru the final 86 games would give us 43 wins after June = 82 overall

So im actually really, really confident that the Phillies still win 90+ games, since they are a great 2nd-half team, and hopefully they’ll get their most important overall player back .. their Leadoff hitter, and their Shortstop

37. Paul

June 16, 2010 at 10:22 am

Good point Dipsy, but the Phillies hitters seem to be good at taking a pitch, that is the first one for a strike, and then flailing away at junk after that.

38. Don M

June 16, 2010 at 10:31 am

Look at the teams we just played …. the Red Sox 6 times, and now the Yankees, with Sabathia on the hill, in their ballpark ..

pretty tough teams to break out of a slump against …

I think there should be no arguement as to Shane Victorino’s crappiness in the leadoff spot .. This team was built to have Rollins on base, Polanco move him over, and then Utley, Howard hitting with a guy in scoring position

Victorino has now hit leadoff in 51 games already.. hitting .265, with a .321 OBP%

Rollins, while not the ideal leadoff man for many teams, started the year great for us … and his career numbers from the leadoff spot are .279 average, .335 OBP%

This team, a perenial 2nd half powerhouse, needs to get its roster back and healthy.. and then I get to kick all of you haters (the “this season’s over” crowd), right in the nuts

39. The Original Chuck P

June 16, 2010 at 10:37 am

Ibanez looks like he’s trying to pull the ball and hit a home run with every swing… the Yankee announcer said it best last night ” Raul is at his best when he’s going gap to gap.” He has power but that’s not his strength… hitting all those HR’s at the beginning of last season might have been the worst thing that could have happened to him. He’s gotta get back to his strengths. It’s kind of funny because Raul has actually gotten better as the season has progressed… he has been raising his average and seeing more pitches but I still think he’s pressing. In a way, that’s the problem with this entire team… everyone is caught up in the slump. They’re trying to turn it around with one swing and that ain’t gonna happen. Werth has one multi-hit game in his last 17 and one HR over that span. Surprisingly, he still leads the NL in doubles. Utley has two multi-hit games over that span and 0 HR. Howard has been solid…hitting .280 (hits in 10 of the previous 12 games) but he’s not carrying the team like we know he’s capable of doing. Maybe they’re all just waiting to slip the switch after the all-star break.

Getting Jimmy back will give us a huge lift; in the clubhouse, defensively and at the plate… as bad as the top of the order has been, the bottom of the order has been even worse. 7-8 hitters and PH are hitting .204 over that 17 game span with 0 HR (that’s excluding pitchers… so you might as well turn the TV off when the bottom of the order comes up). Slide Jimmy into the leadoff spot and move Shane down and things change dramatically.

40. Chuck

June 16, 2010 at 10:44 am

Ed R. …….

“Roy for Lee is a wash” ????

Wait a second….Roy is BETTER than Lee and we all know that. And Hamels IS better than last year (which doesn’t surprise me at all)

In fact, I think the Phillies felt all along that Hamels would rebound and be a VERY GOOD #2….and that made it so much easier for them to trade Lee.

Halladay and Hamels as #1 and #2 is CLEARLY so much better than Lee and Hamels from last year (or Hamels and Lee if you’re positioning them that way).

————-

Yeah, and everybody KEEPS FORGETTING about the Phils’ records through June the past two seasons. I am also VERY CONFIDENT that the second half will yield better results. Getting J-Roll back is HUUUUGGGGEEEE!! I almost guarantee you will see a much different team on the field with him back in the lineup.

41. Chuck

June 16, 2010 at 10:47 am

Don…

I’ll hold them while you do the kicking.

42. PaulyPizza

June 16, 2010 at 10:47 am

Polanco is Money!

43. PaulyPizza

June 16, 2010 at 10:49 am

we should have kept Lee and dump blankton!

44. SpinJamin

June 16, 2010 at 11:04 am

The Phillies right now just look like a beaten team. Something needs to spark them because right now they aren’t picking each other up. Just seems like during the game once ONE wrong thing happens its like it affects the whole team. The ABs are awful. They aren’t trying to take what they are given and instead trying to rely on what they have done in the past……hitting home runs……as the way to break out of this. Bottom line is that pitchers look very comfortable on the mound against the Phillies almost knowing that all they have to do is not groove a fastball down the middle and the Phillies will pull off or roll it over because they are trying to pull everything and hit home runs to make up for the lack of production recently.

June 16, 2010 at 11:22 am

Getting J-roll back is HUGE, I agree…. IF that injury doesn’t linger….

46. Don M

June 16, 2010 at 11:23 am

I think our team right now is still better than the 2008 team… Lidge was money, obviously but the rest of the team is better overall

Hamels now the #2 behind Halladay, Blanton is still Blanton.. and Happ, Moyer, Kendrick.. whoever is pitching best at the time will be #3 and #4

Our lineup is better top-to-bottom, and a bullpen with Durbin, Romero, Madson, Contreras, Lidge is among the best in baseball

47. Chris.I

June 16, 2010 at 11:28 am

I have to disagree with Jeff…I think once Jimmy comes back the Phillies, and the fans are going to go on a HUGE winning spree down the stretch. I hope he returns during a home game, and the park plays Eminems song ”Guess whos back” so loud that the sidewalks in Trenton will tremble.

”Guess who’s back…Back again…J-rolls back…Tell a friend

48. Chuck

June 16, 2010 at 11:33 am

Wait til crunch time….this team is gonna kick A$$ !!!

I would imagine that Blanton will find his form….remember he’s still adjusting to starting the season late after his stint on the DL. Same with Happ when he returns….but look for him to put together a nice string of outings at some point.

Hamels is a STRONG #2….and I actually think he’s excelling in that role. The pressure of being the ace is gone….but he’s still a #2 …..so it’s really not that much of a “demotion” …. In fact, I’ll go out on a limb and say that maybe he’s better as the #2 than if he was a #3 behind Lee??

And Moyer has been a nice surprise.

49. branderson

June 16, 2010 at 11:34 am

Bye Bye bandwagon fans hop off whenever you’d like. I may only be 19 but I’ve watched some terrible teams since I started watching as many games as possible starting in 1996. If you want to dismiss the Phils now, be my guest but I think it is just kind of sad. Turning your back on your team? Disgusting.

These Phillies are the same team from the past few years who have shown time and time again they have fight in them. This IS just a slump. The writer of this article needs to relax and realize how similar this team is to last years NL Champs. You think Werth Howard and Utley are just done producing? You think Rollins can’t come back and make an impact?

50. Chuck

June 16, 2010 at 11:38 am

And to respond to whoever suggested that Charlie be fired….because his message is “stale” or “old” or however it was phrased…..

Charlie knows his team….knows the situation….better than any of us…..and he knows that at some point this team wil gel and go on a tear.

That’s why it makes absolutely no sense for him to change anything in his approach…or for the Phillies to replace him.

51. The Original Chuck P

June 16, 2010 at 11:44 am

Blankton… that’s funny.

Blanton has been a huge disappointment. I’m not sure if he’s not 100% healthy or if there is a really good scouting report out there but guys are hitting the ball hard when he pitches.

52. Chris.I

June 16, 2010 at 11:47 am

This proves that Jimmy is the captain of this team…Whenever he’s not in the lineup we cant win games. Its been a proven fact for years now.

Imagine going to work everyday for 10 years with someone whos fun, makes the day go faster, and gets a lot of progress done when there around………Now imagine you went into work one day and that person was out of work for a month. It’s just not the same without him, and everyone knows it….Obviously

53. PaulyPizza

June 16, 2010 at 12:37 pm

blankton and AARP warrior moyle are not bad when one considers for fifth starter options. We could use a third /fourth starter and perhaps more importantly an eighth/closer type. I think the offense will turn around when J roll comes back. No, J roll is not the savior , but he is a damn good lead off hitter. there are teams such as the cubs, jays that might be willing to part with their surplus pitching. Cleveland seem like a possible place to obtain a cheap bat off the bench in the vein of Kearns or Branyan.

54. Bruce

June 16, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Someone posted here about Howard showing a lack of power so far. Ten HRs is not bad but obviously could do more. And RBIs is more important stat then HRs. Howard is among league leaders in RBIs with 43 and well on his way to the 100 plus plateau at season’s end. His RBI total can be contributed to his making more contact (cutting down SO’s) and hitting for average (.290).

55. Bart Shart

June 16, 2010 at 12:47 pm

…..all the king’s horses and all the king’s men couldn’t put the Phillies back togeter again. They just need to heal naturally. Time is the best remedy.

56. PaulyPizza

June 16, 2010 at 12:52 pm

“He gave you the impression of being a slow and deliberate man to look at him, and he had a way of sitting loose as though he had sunk inside himself and was going down for the third time and his eyes would blink like an owl’s in a cage. Then all of a sudden he would make a move. “- Robert Penn Warren ( All the King’s Men)
    An Apt description of P Blanco!

‘Give me liberty or Give Me Dominic Brown’- PaulyPizza

57. Let's Go Mets

June 16, 2010 at 12:56 pm

maybe everyone will now realize the last 2 years were a fluke

58. PaulyPizza

June 16, 2010 at 1:01 pm

>Let’s Go Mets Says
    If the a team lost a pennant race in the last day of their season two year in a row , but no one is in the stadium to watch it . Did they still lost?
    when was the last time da Muttons won a big game of note, before Jesus?

59. joedad

June 16, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Charlie was without Jimi Williams last year. I’m not buying that Charlie is the problem or firing Charlie would solve the problem. Overreaction.

The last time Halladay threw a dud he followed up with the best possible game.

Halladay – Hamels this year is much better than Lee – XXX of last year and better than the possible Santana – Lee combo of this year.

The hitters are too good to stay this cold for much longer. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Phils don’t make the playoffs this year but expect them to make it.

60. PaulyPizza

June 16, 2010 at 1:08 pm

anyone else notice the kid catch Cervelli’s helmet is huge! kinda of remind me of Dark Helmet.
    ‘Dark Helmet: I bet she gives great helmet. ‘

61. Ryan H.

June 16, 2010 at 1:19 pm

still not worried. I guess that makes me strange or something. still the best team in the NL. they slump every year like this.

62. AGH

June 16, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Given that this team appears to be going nowhere and the unlikely even of re-signing Werth. Do you think they deal him at the deadline to replenish the farm system?

63. RichieAllen

June 16, 2010 at 1:47 pm

If the middle of the order isnt seeing as many fastballs…..then have Milt Thompson get these guys in practice to hit a gazillion breaking pitches till they can hit them.Duh!!!

64. Bob in Bucks

June 16, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Well, I know we are coming out of it now! Just like the stock market, when everyone panics it is time to BUY! Phils will break out at home this weekend.

Rays of hope – Utley is hitting more sharply. Werth is approaching his normal BA, Polanco on a tear, Ibanez getting hits every game.

Let’s hear more panic, I am buying!

65. Darren Daulton

June 16, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Everyone needs to calm down. I’ve seen the future and we do not finish in last place. In fact, as I was watching the game with Alf last night, it occurred to me to travel forward in time to figure out what happens. I found out that the Phillies will miss the playoffs by 3 games. However, the good news is that there are no more reported vomiting incidents by drunk fans.

66. Don M

June 16, 2010 at 2:18 pm

hahahaa

67. brian

June 16, 2010 at 2:33 pm

You guys are very funny. Everyone going crazy with whats wrong with this team. Its obvious. Our big guys are not hitting the baseball. No runs no wins. Thats what is wrong. We are paying Howard alot of money to hit homers. He is not. Utley and Werth are nowhere to be found. Now you have Moyer against the Yankees. That is scary. I do think they will find there way back. Lets face facts this division is horrible. The Mets are playing two easy teams. Wait til they play the Yankees and lose.

68. Phriggin Phils

June 16, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Darren: maybe you can just go forward in time while the Phillies are at bat then come back and tell Cholly which pitch they’re gonna throw. We’ll show THEM we don’t need binoculars to win!

69. Pat Gallen

June 16, 2010 at 3:06 pm

That line I wrote about Halladay “actually winning games” was not a knock on him at all. In several starts he’s been good but has gone winless. That was more a knock on the team because it rarely happens anymore.

70. Phriggin Phils

June 16, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Meh… Halladay’s not the only one. The Mets are blowing games behind Santana. Sebathia hadn’t won a game in like 2 months against any team except the Orioles. We haven’t given the Nats time to flail behind their new fireballer but, if anyone can, they can…

I’m not sure what happens to a team’s psyche when the Ace is on the mound. Or maybe its just that Aces seem to be matching up lately. Teams say they’re giving the top of the rotation 6 days when they can but that might just be to have the flexibility to get their Ace on the mound when they’re facing the other guys’ Ace. I dunno…maybe that 6th day is actually hurting the Ace short-term even if it extend him out further into the season with less chance of fatigue.

71. Phan in the outfield

June 16, 2010 at 3:28 pm

AGH – Let me get this straight: Werth’s not worth us keeping, BUT he’s worth so much that we can get a load of guys to replenish the whole farm system by trading HIM alone? Hm.

I’m going through the same thing everyone else here is going through: I get the involuntary feeling at the end of the day ‘Yeah, game night!,’ & fast on its heels comes ‘Oh we’ll lose.’ But the truth is this team is the same talented guys who I honestly think belong here & will do great things again (most especially incl. Werth). Will it happen immed? Prob not. This season? I don’t know, but I think so.

Have the Phillies “stolen” signs, I bloody well hope so & I hope they’re still stealing signs. It’s part of the game. EVERY TEAM DOES IT. Get over yourselves. As if the freakin’ Mets, Yankees, & Sox are winning w/o stealing signs. Right, b/c they’re made of “brilliant” coaches & players. Dream on. Once & for all, give it a rest. What were the binoculars about? I have no idea – and neither does anyone else. But the simple truth of the matter is that nobody ever saw binoculars before. Believe me if they had we’d have seen it on tv before that night. So it would stand to reason the binoculars weren’t necessary to steal signs, and the “missing binoculars” aren’t the reason for this month’s losses.

All the haters need to shut up and realize, this team-wide headlong spiral into oblivion that they are watching with such relish is likely an internal thing that none of us can put our fingers on. It could correct itself as quickly as it showed up. Stop laughing and face it, one day it will be their team. And it won’t be funny.

72. MysteryMet

June 16, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Why wouldn’t you think about replenishing the farm system, why not try to get something out of the guy, who knows if he even comes back to the team next year, let’s say the phillies don’t trade him, and he stay’s till the end of the season then leaves, their stuck with nothing, Ibanez is old, jimmy rollins leg’s are done, they have no pitching, why wouldn’t you built around the core which is Utely, Victorino, Howard, and Halladay, but like I’ve said before philly is just to stuburn to realize when to sell, yes I know it’s only june, but do you guys really think they are gonna win with the old geezers, and no pitching behind Halladay.

73. Bart Shart

June 16, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Richie Allen —- NOW THAT MAKES SENSE !!!!! batting practice working on breaking balls. Great common sense idea !!!!!

74. Darren Daulton

June 16, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Ah man, all this talk is making me crazy…

75. Jeff

June 16, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I was very upset at Cholly last night. When doc was getting upset with the home plate umpire he should of come out and defended his pitcher. He did not. That made me mad. Castro also killed us by striking out at that at bat. He puts the bat on the ball we score runs.

Now here is what really gets me MAD. I understand these guys are not hitting the ball. I also understand our pitching rotation can get beat up. What really makes me mad are these players. GET MAD ALREADY. I am so tired of watching Howard talk to every player that gets to first. Smiling and chatting. I understand thats what players do in this league. Not now with this losing streak. Get your darn game face on. Get angry and show some FIGHT ALREADY. Fight for a win. There is not fight. When doc was upset with the ump they showed Aroid and Andy P laughing on the bench. That p i s s e d me off. Throw a helmet in the dugout. Enough is enough. If you loose thats one thing but show you belong. Sorry guys just needed to get that out. I also laugh at these Met morons calling Mike F on WFAN today. Saying how bad the Phillies are. His response. Just win your games. He said a team that gets two the world series twice in two years is great. They will get key pieces back and start hitting. I agree for the first time with him.

76. Andrew from Waldorf

June 16, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I am amazed at the people who say there is too much talent etc etc.
    This is our team. This our record.
    They are 3 games behind the mets on june 16th

Does anyone here see Kendrick and/or Moyer beating the yankees the next 2 nights?

I pay to see these games. I regret that now. Its like going to the dentist night after night.

77. karen

June 16, 2010 at 5:06 pm

The next two nights just may be like a homerun derby…..Moyer is a great guy and has had a great career but…….KK has tried but not a major leaguer……Honestly? the remedy? Pedro Martinez? come on amaro.

dobbs? this is just a bad nightmare and I live with a yankees fan and a mets fan…cannot handle this

78. Woody

June 16, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I am considering jumping off the bandwagon for a couple of reasons:

1. What have the Phillies really done for me and my family that really matters

2. Why should I root for a team that is losing and playing pathetic baseball?

2. What would the Phillies do for me if I needed some type of assistance?

3. In a city as big and influential as Philly and a metro area as important as the Delaware Valley, don’t we deserve a winner.

4. Sure the Phils have been great the past three years, but why should I get a broken heart over a baseball team?

5. Perhaps I should become a fan of an American League team so that I can slide back on the bandwagon when the Phils win?

6. Yes, I am now a Minnesota Twins fan !!!! GO TWINS !!!! I need a Nick Punto jersey. I can always hop on the Phils bandwagon when and if they start winning.

7. GOOOO TWINS !!!!

I AM ……………………DA WOOOOOOOODY

79. Jeff

June 16, 2010 at 5:24 pm

you are just a moron da wooooooooooody. liking a team and stick by that team. besides a phillies fan, im also a huge ny rangers fan. another story. i stick by them as bad as they are. watching messier beat the devils in 94 was great. they will be back playing well again. the mets were 8 games behind us. now they are in front. the mets stink. beltran is done the roids and his big body is breaking down. i hope it breaks down to the point he stops playing. reyes and wright are streaky. there manager has to be the worst in the majors. they will cool off again. i am daggggggggggggbs

80. Chuck

June 16, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Waaahhh. Waaaahhh. Waaaahhh.

Bunch of crybabies on here.

Go ahead….abandon your team. Stop rooting. Jump off the bandwagon. You know what??….There will be more room for all the rest of us…the REAL fans.

Unbelievable. Disgusting. All of you fair-weather fans, you all should just be ashamed of yourselves.

81. Woody

June 16, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Hey Fellas:

There are more important things than being a fan of a franchise that costs money and does not afford jubilation and satisfaction. As a spectator, I live in the “HERE AND NOW.” And right here and right now the Phillies are painful to watch and sad to root for. I will come back to the bandwagon when they win, of course. Only a fool would tolerate repeated pokes in the eye, And you fellas — Chuck and Jeff — are just that —-FOOLS. Stay miserable, Get pissed and continue being DUmb and Dumber. And good luck. Keep spending your earnings on sloppy play, no hitting and losing. You get what you deserve.

So jump into the ship of fools, fellas and enjoy the ride down the waterfall. GO TWINS !!!!!!!

I AM …….. DA WOOOOOOODY

82. Woody

June 16, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I’ll add a Twins cap and a Nick Punto jersey to my collection of Winners.

I AM ……. DA WOOOOOODY

PS: Ain’t America Great !!!!

83. psujoe

June 16, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Guys, 2 game sback in the loss column. A weekend series away from being in 1st place. Jimmy went 0-3 last night, but je’ll be back soon. So will Happ. It won’t help the hitting, but time for the Herndon experiment to end. Mathiason is ready.

84. Woody

June 16, 2010 at 6:16 pm

When they win….I’ll be roootin for ‘dem Phightins. Until then, GO TWINS!!!

I AM …….. DA WOOOOOOODY

85. shag beta sigma delta

June 16, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Some have brought this up on here but I think what seems to go under the radar is the lack of quality defense that this team is playing this year, not just errors, but lack of hustle and simple mental mistakes, even Utley, is having a down year in the field. To me that is just lack of concentration, they are letting their hitting slump effect them in the field. IMO that is where JRoll will help the most. I am not panicking, frustrated, yes, but I truly feel they will eventually start winning again. With how bad they have been playing only to be 3 down is a miracle.
    I have watched this team since the early 70’s and seen some bad teams this is not one of them, even though they are playing like that.
    I know most of you are WIP hatters, and I live in Vermont so I do not listen to it often. But one of the host had a good point I think on the over night show. There have been a lot of changes on this team, along with guys getting hurt. And he was saying that maybe they just have not gelled together yet. Chemistry was always a huge part of this team, and they have lost some of that, I hope they get it back and think they will, Moyer is going to shock all you haters and pitch well tonight, will they score enough runs to win I do not know, but I think they could if they let AJ put them on base for free like he is prone to do. Howard hits a HR tonight

86. MysteryMet

June 16, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Sweet, another website Met fans could take over, reading all these comments about going to rooting for other teams, how the team sucks, this and that, makes me laugh cuz it’s only june, and your team is only 3.5 games back, ya’ll act like it’s the end of the world, a true fan sticks by their team through good and bad times, makes me think that they was never philly fans to begin with just a bunch of loser jumping on winning teams, won’t be surprise if the Rays, or Twins are the team these loser are bandwagoning. I come to this website to write little rival talk, but you guys aren’t true fans just pretenders, were the real Phillies fans at

87. Woody

June 16, 2010 at 6:54 pm

A “TRUE” fan has an IQ of about 80

88. Chuck

June 16, 2010 at 6:56 pm

MysteryMet..

Pay no attention to some of these IDIOTS on here. Bandwagon jumpers for sure.

Believe it or not….if you read some of these OTHER posts….you WILL indeed find the true fan.

So you want to have rival talk, eh?? Well then, Mystery….beating the Marlins (not a great team), the Orioles (the worst team in the league) and the Indians last night (again, not a good team)….that is not exactly some amazing feat.

When youse guys start beating up on the likes of the Yankees, Cardinals, Dodgers, Red Sox, Phillies (YES..the Phillies) on a REGULAR basis…..then you can come on here and talk serious trash. Until then….your team is really just a “one-hit wonder”. Enjoy second place for now…..cause when it’s all said and done you guys are a third place team….AT BEST.

89. bureaucratist

June 16, 2010 at 8:36 pm

It’s good to hear the mainstream media finally admitting the obvious: This is not a good team. .500 is a realistic, but unlikely goal. Utley’s career is likely over; Howard is well onto his downside. Trade Halladay while he has some value–this team won’t be any good until he’s long retired. Trade Werth, too and Polanco, if he has some value. It’s the mid-late 1980s again. Hope the dry years won’t last as long this time.

90. Brian Sr. of CO

June 16, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Boy that was one of the DUMBEST comments I have EVER seen…”maybe everyone will now realize the last 2 years were a fluke”. Oh wait it was from a Mets fann. Never mind, par for the course. Just a normal Mets fan comments. 3 (THREE) NL East pennants, 2 (TWO) NL Pennants and 1 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP is NOT a Fluke moron. 1969 and 1986 are OBVIOUSLY flukes because they never got the World Series 2 years in a row. Oh DAMN, Facts hurt.

91. SherryW

June 16, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Hahaha, Moyer just spanked the Yankess. I love watching then stare in confusion at his 80MPH fast ball. For one night, all is well for me.