Brown Excels in Debut, Propels Phils to 7th Straight Win – Phillies Nation
2010 Game Recaps

Brown Excels in Debut, Propels Phils to 7th Straight Win

A crowded dugout hanging on his every word. A standing ovation. A smash off the wall in right field. A run scored. A few hits. All in a days work for newcomer Domonic Brown as he wowed the crowd with his foot speed and bat speed. Brown electrified the crowd, and the team, as the Phillies slapped the Diamondbacks around for a 7-1 win, their seventh straight.

On a normal night, Roy Halladay would be the story. Another complete game with one meaningless ninth inning run, and six hits scattered, is about as good as it gets. Yet, Halladay played second fiddle behind the Dom Brown show.

It was all about Brown on this night, who finished 2-for-3 with two RBI, including a rocket double in his first plate appearance against starter Edwin Jackson. His only mistake shattered an impressive streak by the Phillies ace.

Halladay was working on tossing 34 consecutive innings at Citizens Bank Park without allowing a run, however, Brown missed a diving attempt at the ball in the ninth inning, which allowed the only Diamondbacks run to score. Brown said he took a chance knowing they were up seven runs, but usually doesn’t do that. And so, the streak ended at 33 innings for Doc.

Perhaps it was the adrenaline of trying to secure yet another complete game shutout for Halladay that led Brown to the slight error in judgment. Other than that, it was a near flawless performance from both.

Carlos Ruiz was an unsung hero as he struck for three hits and three runs batted in. Jayson Werth is absolutely raking as well. He finished 3-for-4 with three runs scored and two knocked in. Werth is now hitting .588 on the current homestand with four doubles, a home run, and six walks in six games. He’s on fire.

Group Raul Ibanez in with those who have hit a hot streak, as well. Ibanez has hit safely in seven straight games and in that span is 11-for-24 with seven RBI.

From top to bottom, it was a stellar effort for an offense that has broken out of its two-month-long slumber.

As for Dom Brown, as the media swarmed his locker, the big kid just smiled and answer quietly, yet politely, ever question shot his way. After a wild day, an electric one, Brown looked like he needed some rest. But not too much, the Phils need more of that energy for the long haul.

Manager Charlie Manuel joked that tomorrow there will be a Domonic Brown bobblehead doll. Start making them now; everyone wants one already.

Here’s Brown following the game:

1. bacardipr05

July 28, 2010 at 11:09 pm

I miss Brown’s debut was on the road but heard game on radio. The future looks bright for this kid. Im sure they will address that play in the 9th. Can you imagine Werth Brown Victorino and Ibanez next year. This way he can get some games under him while we still have Ibanez to fall back on if he struggles. Utley and Howard Ruiz now we just need a bona fide 3 starter and bull pen help and we should be set.

2. Mike

July 28, 2010 at 11:17 pm

bacardipr05….

Its not gonna be Brown Werth Victorino and Ibanez next year. Werth is probably gonna be on another team as his contract expires at the end of the year and the Phillies are having trouble signing Werth without expanded the 2011 payroll.

3. bacardipr05

July 28, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Mike yea I know but just imagine….expand the 2011 payroll then dam it just be for 1 year to Ibanez contract is up…lol

4. GWFightinsFan

July 28, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Brown is #9, Ted Williams wore #9…hrmmmm

5. Pingback: Tweets that mention Brown Excels in Debut, Propels Phils to 7th Straight Win | Phillies Nation -- Topsy.com

6. Land Shark

July 28, 2010 at 11:48 pm

It feels like I was at a movie theatre, watching a preview of the ”The future Phillies” before the main movie started. This kid looks promising. He reminds me of a skinny Ryan Howard. He knew ”All the lights were on him” tonight, and he went out there and did his thing. Well Done.

I was feeling that sign that one lady held up ”What can Brown do for you?” That was pretty tight.

7. Scotch Man

July 29, 2010 at 12:35 am

Really a fun game tonight. I was already psyched that we had two no-hitter hurlers facing off in Halladay and Jackson. Then the debut of a top prospect, which did not dissapoint in the slightest. Dom Brown really looked like a young kid having the time of his life but he produced in the proccess which made it even more special. He played hard and despite a rookie mistake at the end, was very impressive.

Though don’t let Halladay’s phenominal CG escape you. Pitchers don’t get much more special than him. He’s truly something else to watch, especially when he hurls a gem like he did tonight.

8. Andrew from Waldorf

July 29, 2010 at 12:47 am

According to the phillies nation FB Oswalt is on his way.

WOW

9. Brian Sr. of CO

July 29, 2010 at 12:48 am

Mike, I have been saying the entire time that Werth would be gone, HOWEVER, I heard today they offered Werth a contract, he hasnt accepted it yet, however it is definately a step in the right direction that they even offered a contract if thats true. I will wait and see if its true, or just rumor. Also, WOW. Dom Brown, unbelievable.

Apparently Jeff was correct that we NEVER should have gotten Halladay, what a complete waste that ruined this team. DUH. Like I said when I read that, one of the DUMBEST comments I have ever read on here. I ranks up there with the Trolls calling for the 2010 Mets being WS Champs. LOL. Is that 9 or 10 CG’s this season? What kind of overrated bum cant go out there and throw a CG every time, and actually loses a game? DUH. Halladay is OUSTANDING. He has proven several things this year. #1, he is one of the best, and most consistant starting pitchers since 2002 for a reason, and he has not disappointed. #2, he is human, and actually has an off night every so often.

If Dom Brown is as real as he appeared tonight (and in the minors), Werth stays, and keeps hitting, Ibanez continues to hit, Howard is usally pretty darn good in the 2nd half (bad night at the plate sadly), Utley comes back, Polly keeps going, and we get a quality SP. WOW. This could get even more enjoyable than the last 6 games. I mean think about that line up hitting, along with Halladay, Hamels and Lilly or Oswalt (Im not sold on Oswalt honestly). Thats a pretty good 1,2,3 punch! Is Happ in the deal for Oswalt? I really dont want to lose Happ honestly, especially for Oswalt. He has some great games, but with his injury history, and demands lately to the Astros and any other team offering to trade for him, I would rather keep Happ!

10. Brian Sr. of CO

July 29, 2010 at 12:49 am

Andrew, who is in the deal for Oswalt?

11. Andrew from Waldorf

July 29, 2010 at 12:52 am

They arent reporting yet here is the article.

It wont be cheap I tell you that btu this team is the team to beat in the NL maybe MLB now. PLEASE get me 2 relievers.
    just of a eyre level and ill be so happy

12. Andrew from Waldorf

July 29, 2010 at 1:02 am

If this guy screws us now give him the Rolen and JD Drew treatment.
    But if he comes here. And i recognize he doesn’t seem to enthusiastic about it. Give him a standing O and treat him like you treated D Brown tongiht. Make him love the city the team and its fans.

13. Brian Sr. of CO

July 29, 2010 at 1:05 am

It sounds like you are pretty stoked about this Andrew. I just dont know about him. I have injury concerns. I just dont know if he has anymore. I understand his record sucks because of the team he is on, but he has had some pretty tough outings getting beat up like a red headed stepchild. I just dont know he is worth giving up several players and having to pay him 16Mil next season. I would rather go after Lilly honeslty. I think while he may not be quite as good, the asking price is WELL BELOW Oswalt.

14. Brian Sr. of CO

July 29, 2010 at 1:07 am

Andrew, the only place I have read about him not wanting to come to Philly is on this site. Everything I have seen elsewhere is he would accept the trade to the Phillies or Cardinals. What the truth is, I dont think any of us really actually know.

15. Andrew from Waldorf

July 29, 2010 at 1:14 am

His WHIP and ERA are outstanding. Houstons park is also not pitcher friendly.
    Hes gonna start game 2 or 3 in potential playoff series. And I really like that idea. Hes that good. Hopefully he has the fire to win like Roy.
    As for being really stoked Ill need to see the players we lose.
    Healthy Oswalt makes phils team to beat this year and next.
    Add in D Brown. I mean its jsut an exciting time. The team is rolling too

16. Brian Sr. of CO

July 29, 2010 at 1:54 am

I already read it is Happ and a few Prospects. I dont like the idea of losing Happ honestly. I think I would rather shoot for Big Joe and a few prospects, but chances of the Stros taking Big Joe are probably pretty slim.

17. Brooks

July 29, 2010 at 1:55 am

I just came out of Wegemans, got in my car for the top of the 9th. There was a man on base and 2 outs when Montero hit the line drive that Brown decided to make a dive for. You should have heard LA rip into him. “That was a terrible mistake Domonic Brown made…” Give me a break LA – is this a pitcher talking who never, ever threw a complete game shut out? Are you kidding? 7 run lead with 2 outs and this guy made a “terrible” mistake??? Dude, he did make a mistake but terrible?
    Here’s hoping D. Brown does not take LA to heart.

18. Brian Sr. of CO

July 29, 2010 at 1:58 am

As for his WHIP and ERA. It lookas like both Lilly (Cubs) and Myers (I dont want him back) have lower ERA’s. CBP isnt always pitcher friendly either, its a hitter park. What makes you think he would come to a hitter park and put up good numbers, if Myers left CBP with OK numbers, and lowered them all in Houston?

19. Brooks

July 29, 2010 at 2:00 am

I have not been that sold on Oswalt either – his injuries and the amount of money owed to him is pretty steep.

To me, Happ got hit pretty hard in his last outing but fortunate, most of the line drives were at or close to our outfielders.

Doc, Hamels & Oswalt – nice 1,2,3. Putting Cheeseburger 4th and Kendrick back at #5?

20. Andrew from Waldorf

July 29, 2010 at 2:00 am

It did cost Roy the SO
    But the kid had such a great night. Even Roy wasnt mad and I doubt Brown even knows why LA is

21. Adrian

July 29, 2010 at 4:37 am

You’ve got to love that batting stance, like a statue until the right pitch comes along and he explodes! A 2-for-3 night is a stellar start for anyone, and now we’ll see how far he can carry it in the next couple of weeks.