Phillies Trade Deadline Thread: July 27 – Phillies Nation
Posts

Phillies Trade Deadline Thread: July 27

-Yesterday, our own Corey Seidman gave his take on the Roy Oswalt situation. The chances of Oswalt coming to Philadelphia seem to dwindle by the minute, if you believe every report you hear. I, however, am skeptical of those reports, or any report for that matter, pertaining to the deadline. In the past few weeks, the Rangers came in late as a suitor for Cliff Lee after it was nearly a “done deal” that he had been dealt to New York. Also, Dan Haren was likely heading to the Yankees. Instead, the Angels came in late and made the move.

-Two intriguing names coming out of the NL East that could be on the trade market are Chris Volstad and Ricky Nolasco, both from the Marlins. Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post said yesterday that several teams have inquired about the big righty. The name I like here is Nolasco.  If the Marlins decide they are sellers, Nolasco would be a PERFECT match with the Phillies. He’s a savvy righty, and at times can be dominating, just as Cole Hamels can be from the left side. Nolasco makes less than $2 million for the remainder of this season and is arbitration eligible for two more seasons. He is cheap and it might take slightly less to pry him away from Florida than it would Roy Oswalt from Houston, as far as prospects go.  Let’s hope Florida decides to sell. Ricky Nolsaco would be #1 on my list.

-Some other names that are being thrown around, none of which really provide much excitement: Edwin Jackson of Arizona, Jeremy Guthrie of Baltimore, Paul Maholm of Pittsburgh, Jorge De La Rosa and Aaron Cook of Colorado, and Ted Lilly of the Cubs.

Lilly is the best of the bunch, but will also fetch the most in the way of young players. He’d be a solid third option behin Halladay and Hamels. Guthrie and Maholm are Kendrick-type guys, I don’t see them as an upgrade to this staff. Pass.  De La Rosa and Cook are better options than those two and have been to the playoffs in recent seasons. Neither is much more than a #4.

Edwin Jackson makes you perk a bit.  He was excellent in Tampa during their World Series run but this season has been all over the map. Jackson tossed one of the five no-hitters this season, but also walked eight in that same game.  His ERA is above five, but he’s a young, innings machine who could be primed for a turnaround.

-Another name to watch for is Scott Downs from Toronto. If the Phillies are worried about Brad Lidge – and by now, they damn-well should be – then Downs is on their radar.  It’s always tough to buy on relief arms at the deadline, but Downs is as good as they get. He is a free agent after this season, too.  The Phillies were one of the teams speculated to be “in” on the Downs rumors weeks ago, but since, the Yankees have been named a frontrunner. It always seems like a darkhorse jumps in on these trades, so watch for a Downs/Phillies connection.

1. Pingback: Twitted by iPhillySports

2. Tony

July 27, 2010 at 10:25 am

Would love to get Nolasco but the Marlins are suddenly back in the hunt for the WC.

Keeping Happ, getting Myers and Downs would make me happy.

3. Phan in the outfield

July 27, 2010 at 10:34 am

Of course all of this could be total hooey but from what I’ve been hearing in nyc the Yankees want Cliff Lee for good, not just for the rest of this season. Maybe they’re just hanging until the end of the yr.

And as far as pitching on this team, I’ve said this before, I lose my voice screaming it every time I see him head for the mound: RID US OF LIDGE. I’m young and my heart can’t take any more games that he “closes”.

4. The Second John

July 27, 2010 at 2:12 pm

In my opinion, they need a closer MUCH more than another starter. I would feel a lot better about this team if they had a good closer.

5. Chuck

July 27, 2010 at 2:13 pm

This site is becoming sort of like Brad Lidge…..sometimes “on” and sometimes (a lot of times lately) “off”.

So what’s up with the supposed “new server”???

6. The Dipsy

July 27, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Actually, I like the Marlins to get into the Wild Card hunt but I would love to have either one of those guys. Don’t pooh pooh Aaron Cook. He is an effective sinkerballer who could do well in CB Park. Of course, the really good point that you make is that, while we may get to the playoffs, we will not be going far with Brad Lidge closing games.

The Dipsy

7. branderson

July 27, 2010 at 2:19 pm

hate to nitpick but when talking about Edwin Jackson, how excellent was he for tampa in 2008? look at his numbers. a much more convincing set of stats would be to look at his 2009 numbers with Detroit 1.2 whip decent era but whatever. hope the phils get a reliever. rotation will be just fine

8. Phan in Atl

July 27, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Last week on a local sports talkshow here in Atlanta, Leo Mazzone raved about Guthrie (Leo was the pitching coach in Balt, after his unbelievable run in Atl). He said he thinks Guthrie has fallen into a rut being in Balt. He also said Philly would be an ideal place for him. Not sure why he thinks that (winning atmosphere, same rotation with Doc, groundball pitcher???). If this offense continues with this most recent trend, I think the Phils get by with Blanton, Happ, and Kendrick. BUT, we are all too familiar with injuries this year, and adding an arm like one of the ones mentioned above would allow us to push KK back to an injury replacement starter.

9. Andrew from Waldorf

July 27, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Where were yuo guys yesterday when I was taking crap for bashing Lidge in the game thread?

The Phillies need to get 2 or 3 competant relief pitchers. Chris Perez and Kerry wood for the indains. John Axford from Milwaukee. Some of the toronto guys. Chad Qualls has been terrible all year but would like to see him with a change of scenery. You dont have to trade for a “closer” you bring in 2 or 3 guys and see if one sticks. One of the biggest reasons the Rangers are in first is because of thier bullpen.

Also why is lidge jsut put in the game? Conteras and another guy should be warmed up and ready to come in. After the 3 walks and homer you simply put in another pitcher. Having a closer with a 1.7 WHIP isnt fun to watch. Dipsy nailed it. Bring in Cy Young to pitch but this team isnt going to win a world series in 2010 with Lidge closing. He is fine as a piece of the bullpen. But as the “closer” no way.

10. Andrew from Waldorf

July 27, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Guthrie is alot better than he is thought of and what his stats read on paper.

July 27, 2010 at 2:44 pm

It’s encouraging that we may be looking for options to replace Lidge, but Downs numbers indicate that he is not an experienced closer. He has 83 holds and only 16 saves in 8 years, although 9 of those saves have been in the past two years. Lifetime he is 50% on save opps. A better option than Lidge? I’m not sure. I guess he could be converted to full time closer, but it didn’t work so well for Madson.

Of course I was one of the doubters when it came to converting Polly to third, and that has gone remarkably well. Polly saved the game yesterday, not Lidge.

12. SpinJamin

July 27, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Right now they need a starting pitcher and a reliever. Loving the idea of Downs and not loving the idea of Guthrie. All talent and no substance. Phillies need to do whatever deals that don’t require them to fork over major prospects in return. Personally wouldn’t want them to trade Werth either, but I’d love to see them pull off a trade with Kendrick. I know thats not really a possibility, but I wouldn’t mind seeing him go away real soon.

13. riccaboni

July 27, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I respectfully disagree Pat regarding Nolasco. The fact that he does have such a cheap deal and is under team control for a bit is very valuable in terms of acquiring prospects. I think the return on a guy like Nolasco would be significantly higher than for Oswalt and his monster contract. As for Volstad, 24 years old, huge kid, I think his price would, for the same reasons as Nolasco, be very similar to what it would take to get Oswalt. I don’t think the Marlins would deal either of them, but if they did, I would be the price would be higher than what it ends up taking to get Roy.

14. Phan in the outfield

July 27, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Andrew: I couldn’t get ON THIS SITE yesterday. Also sometimes work interferes with my fun, which I really hate (almost as much as Lidge closing a game we’re winning).

15. riccaboni

July 27, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Have you guys learned nothing from the Reds series? STAY POSITIVE PHILLIES PHANS 🙂

Lidge bashing is one thing, but we’re riding a five game winning streak. It doesn’t matter how it happens, it matters that we’re winning. When we’re back in first place, then we can groan about how much we hate the closer! Right now, enjoy the wins. It could be worse, he could have blown the last two and until he does, enjoy the wins! Very winnable couple of series coming up, need positive energy!

July 27, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Andrew. sorry I didn’t see your response yesterday. I work with several banks in your area. I live in Columbia, a quick 90 minute cruise to the parking lot at CBP!

17. Ryan H

July 27, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I think Rueben needs to take a page out of Pat Gillick’s book . Gillick was the master of the subtle move. He never went for the big money big splash. He brought in supplemental guys that gave you more than you thought for a price that was much less than the big move. He brought in guys like Jamie Moyer, Scott Eyre, Matt Stairs, JC Romero, etc… And they turned out to be important cogs in the stretch run every time. I’m in favor of Rueben eyeing something along those lines. Pick up a guy who’s a solid 3 or 4 starter and keep happ, keep werth, keep singleton. Trade some low level prospects and solidify your team. The foundation is still there. I’d pick up a bat for the bench that plays infield and has better D than dobbs and better O than valdez. I’d also pick up a few bullpen pieces (look into signing scott eyre perhaps?) and a solid third starter. Oswalt isn’t worth the price . Past his prime. I think this is certainly a year where the big fish ain’t worth it.

18. Phan in the outfield

July 27, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I listened to the game at work but with day games, I record at home.

I severely underestimated Lidge’s ability to skyrocket my BP b/c I casually sat down to watch the game. By the time it was bases loaded, 2 outs, and the count was 3-2 – Mother-of-God – I thought I was going to spontaneously combust. How could anyone with a pulse, who calls themselves a Phillies fan, sit through that w/o losing it!?! I seriously was cking to see which uniform Lidge had on.

And they want to trade Werth?!?! Okay, I have to calm down.

What does it matter if the rest of the team is All Stars if he undoes all of their work in 6 and a half mins? A little league team could play us and wait until Charlie puts in Lidge and they could win in the 9th.

I get it, I like him, stand up guy. Hire him to test players’ characters, but get him OFF THE TEAM.

19. NJ

July 27, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I think the big issue is do you think Joe Blanton and JA Happ are capable of starting games in the NCLS and World Series and the moves are dictated from there. I like De La Rosa who’ll likely walk wherever he finishes the year and for the Phils to re-visit the rotation in the off-season.

20. Chuck

July 27, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Phan…

I was at the game. That “6 and a half minutes” you talk about was MAGNIFIED at the park. People were going NUTS. One guy was screaming so loudly (and profanely) at the situation that I seriously thought the dude was gonna blow a blood vessel in his skull.

I like Lidge, too. And sometimes he “has” it. But not enough of the time. Yesterday he got lucky. And, yes, Placido Polanco saved the game….not Lidge. Thank God Charlie moved Polly over to third for the late innings.

21. Andrew from Waldorf

July 27, 2010 at 3:17 pm

@ lefty Merriweather post paviliion is probably the nicest venue to see a concert in the country.

I am very excited and happy with the team. I am not so much bashing lidge or hating or saying to release him or even saying that he shouldnt be put in a game in the ninth inning to close it. I am saying that it shouldnt be a given. That maybe Madson or Romero or conteras comes in to close sometimes. I am saying that bringing in 2 relievers cant hurt and they dont cost alot.
    I dont enjoy or laugh at the Lidge show when hes off. Guess I am still sore about Mitch Williams and 1993. I also am not a thrill seeker. I dont go hang gliding or mountain climbing. Come in go 1,2,3 and I am happy.
    Part of the issue witht he Pen is same as the starters the manager isnt very good at managing a pitching staff.
    I said all year and continue to say the #1 issue for this team is the pen.

22. George

July 27, 2010 at 3:18 pm

The guys Gillick brought in all had longer/better track records than the guys available this year.

Downs has no real closer experience; he’d be a setup man. Lilly is probably the best starter available besides Oswalt, but his velocity is down and he’s always been more of a flyball guy; not the best option in CBP.

Nolasco is probably unavailable.

With Blanton starting to pitch like he usually does, and Happ off the DL, the only real upgrade, whether you like him or not, would be Oswalt. If the Astros continue with their high demands, though, he’s not an option, either.

23. Chuck

July 27, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I guess we’ll see just “high” those so-called demands are if this thing stretches to the 11th hour on the 31st. Like i said this morning, I think Oswalt and his “people”….as well as Ed Wade…..are all just posturing right now.

24. Andrew from Waldorf

July 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I am interested in seeing if Manual uses Brad tongiht if there is a save situation. He should be unavailable tonight and tomorrow IMO.
    After 2 straight days over 30 pitches.
    But you know in the past Charlie has used him 4 days in a row. No other manager would do that.
    If he is used tongiht I dont think I will make it. Call 911 immediately.
    Conisdering that its cole vs Rodrigo Lopez lets hope it isnt a save situation.

25. Bart Shart

July 27, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Personally, I like the Christian Guzman possibility in a trade and the Scott Downs possibility. We need to rid ourselves of Lidge. The guy is giving me heart disease. To hell with Roy Oswalt. He is “The Pussyboy” and I think Philly fans will drive him out of the Delaward Valley.

26. Bart Shart

July 27, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Why is my comment awaiting moderation. YOU are the people who called Oswalt “Pussyboy.” Or are you the only ones allowed to use colorful names?

July 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I’m also a positive guy. But I call it like I see it, and right now Brad Lidge needs to watch a few save opps. I agree with Andrew and several other posters from different threads yesterday. The fact that Lidge thinks he’s safe in his position, that he’s automatically going to get the call from Cholly in the ninth, and has no other competition from any other relievers makes him feel too comfortable. He’s just not bearing down like a couple of years ago. He’s not giving us all he has. We know that because we’ve seen how dominant he can be. Is it lingering physical problems?, maybe, but that’s just another reason to sit him now and then.

28. Ted Bell

July 27, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Courtesy of David Murphy: “Someone who saw Jimmy Rollins today said he came in on crutches — we’ll find out the deal in about 10 minutes”

I’m Ted Bell.

29. Andrew from Waldorf

July 27, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Well if Jimmy is DLed

Have to trade for a middle infielder.

That would suck because like it or not J Roll is the heart and soul of this team. They seem to pout when hes not in the lineup.

30. MikeB.

July 27, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I think too that the Phils need one more good arm to help close out games but much of the problem is in the way Charlie manages the bullpen and in his over-reliance on Brad Lidge. Should go to the “closer by committee” approach and not use the same guy two, three days in a row. Madson has proven in the past not to be a dependable closer but if they bring a new guy in, should alternate him with Contreras and Lidge and whoever else they want to use as a closer. Don’t be reluctant to pull a guy when he starts to get into trouble in a closing situation. Use a little Tony LaRussa thinking.

31. Don M

July 27, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I bet Rollins probably has a broken toe… that’s a quicker-heal than a strained calf

32. Geoff

July 27, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Well the Phillies have just been linked with Tejada and Christian Guzman – cover for the infield. Which is smart, we could use some good cover there anyways.

33. Buster Olney

July 27, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Hello Phillies phans,
    This is breaking news that I have just received from the phillies clubhouse. The Phillies are making a move on Roy Oswalt. They are going to send J.A. Happ and Shane Victorino to the Astros for Roy Oswalt. That is just a rumor but it might actually happen

34. Morris Buttermaker

July 27, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Hey look, “Internal Error Nation” is back up.

If Jimmy is back to the DL, why would the Phillies trade for a middle infielder now? Rube has not done it all year. He will just call up somebody from Lehigh Valley.

35. MikeB.

July 27, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Buster Olney; are you actually Buster Olney or someone just impersonating him?

At least the rumor has the Phillies offering slumping Victorino and not Werth.

36. Geoff

July 27, 2010 at 3:56 pm

It may not be Buster Olney, but Rosenthal will swoop in here and say that Buster Oldney said that and will put it up online.

37. Geoff

July 27, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Olney

38. The Original Chuck P

July 27, 2010 at 4:01 pm

X-Rays were negative… why is he on crutches?

Don’t understand why people are so up in arms over the bullpen… relievers are relievers for a reason. We can get by with our bullpen; we cannot get by with any one of Blanton/Happ/Kendrick as our #3 starter. A healthy Happ is the only one that remotely matches up with any contending #3’s out there… Hanson/Jurrjens, Cueto/Volquez, Clayton Richard (mid 3’s ERA, 100+k’s), Zito, Jaime Garcia… those are the #3 pitchers from the other NL contenders. Tell me, who on that list is our #3 better than?

39. shag beta sigma delta

July 27, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I know you guys love to hate on here, and Lidge is a CA waiting to happen but he did finally get the job done both days. Last year he would have blown both of those saves so that is a positive, and I think he will come around when he is needed in the end, with the exception of game 3 against the Yanks, he had a good post season last year, I know it only takes one bad game to lose a series in the playoffs, but as long as he is not blowing saves give the guy some room to fix his problem. He should have never pitched yestarday after 30 some pitches on Sunday, and like I said yesterday, Charlie for a while was playing match up in the begining of the ninth and bringing in Lidge to shut the door and that seemed to be working

40. Kate

July 27, 2010 at 4:01 pm

They can’t trade Victorino!

And there’s no way we’re seeing Lidge tonight. I’ve got faith in the guy, but he won’t be able to pitch after two 30+ outings in a row. That’s probably why he got in trouble last night, as much as I hate to bring attention to the fact that starters are automatically better than relievers if they go more than four or five innings. They’re going to rest Lidge tonight and maybe tomorrow as well. All things being equal, we won’t need a closer until the D’Backs leave town anyway (knock on wood).

I’m just hoping we don’t have to see any of the other relievers for long, either, unless it’s this new guy Carpenter.

41. MikeB.

July 27, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Victorino or Werth will probably have to go if they are to open up a spot for rookie Dom Brown. Thinking offensively and which one has been the better hitter this season and not popularity wise, who would you choose Kate? Shane plays great defensive center field but offensively this season so far… Ibanez probably will not be pursued by another team unless it for being a DH in the AL and then there is the matter of his age and the amount of money he makes.

42. The Original Chuck P

July 27, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Lidge has converted 10 saves in 13 opportunities… 77%. The league average is 68%. Pretty… no. Efficient… arguably, yes.

I would be lying if I said that Lidge didn’t drive me absolutely insane but I’m also more confident with Lidge than I am with any other names mentioned (Qualls, Kerry Wood, Chris Perez… really?). And he probably should not have been pitching yesterday after throwing 30+ pitches the night before. That is setting him up for failure. Saves- they’re not all going to be pretty… we hope that a few of them are but the 9th inning is the toughest. What’s more of a concern… his lack of success pitching out of the stretch- hitters are hitting .300 with men on base (versus .194 with no men on). He has also not allowed a hit when the bases were loaded (typically, working out of the windup with bases loaded. Dubee’s gotta work with him on that.

43. riccaboni

July 27, 2010 at 4:17 pm

MikeB – You’ve said this for a few days now but I just don’t see the problem. Victorino’s power numbers are through the roof, his steals are back on track for career highs, he’s playing better defense than he did last year and has among the team friendliest contracts. You don’t trade Victorino, period. Just because his average is down for one year doesn’t mean it’s time to abandon ship.

44. riccaboni

July 27, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Edited to add particularly with the possibility of Rollins being down and no speed at the top of the line up. Dealing Victorino would be disasterous. He means 400% more to the Phillies line up than he is valued at for teams acquiring him.

45. Chuck

July 27, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I would disagree about Lidge “not bearing down” like he did in the past. I don’t think that’s the issue. I think that he’s as competitive as ever. Yes, he DID get two saves in a row….kudos to him. Yesterday was a bit much, though and I think Charlie was walking a real tightrope in that situation. Contreras had been up at one point so I think he could have been summoned fairly easily.

46. Bart Shart

July 27, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Great closers are a special bunch….Mariano Rivera, Dennis Eckersley, billy Wagner, Rollie Fingers, these guys are as valuable as a starter. They are not set-up men. The close down the opposition so that their teams win….usually.

47. NickFromGermantown

July 27, 2010 at 4:42 pm

If Rollins is indeed going to be put on the DL, I think the Phillies need to consider changing their name to the Sisypheans. This is ridiculous.

48. Bart Shart

July 27, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I smell a bullshitter in”Buster Olney.” Good way to stir things up, though.

49. MikeB.

July 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm

riccaboni; you must be confusing me with another or other Mikes posting on here; this is the first time I have posted, at any time, about trading Victorino. You are right about the speed if Rollins is out of the lineup. Otherwise I still stand by what I post. As long as Rollins is in there, Phils can get by without Vicorino’s speed. Have Werth in the lineup and if they recall Brown, he is fast. One of these guys will wind up playing centerfield, probably Werth because of his outfield experience. Sure, Victorino has other good numbers but makes bonehead decisions when he is on base at times. I have nothing against Shane and I hope he stays but with all the talk about about Werth going to go in a trade, don’t be surprised if Victorino is packaged in a deal. Is going to be the odd man out and so far as a team friendly contract goes, I think that the Phils will look the other way in their pursuit of a top pitcher with Dom Brown waiting in the wings.

50. MikeB.

July 27, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Dominick Brown will not cost them much money either right off the bat.

51. The Second John

July 27, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Will people stop defending Brad Lidge? That’s crazy. Any two year old baby can see that Lidge’s command is off. He was just lucky to make the last two saves.

52. The Original Chuck P

July 27, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Vic is more reasonably priced than Werth. Vic is under control until 2012. Vic has no trade value… no way they’re trading Vic. Speedy defensive-minded outfielders are a dime a dozen and if they’re trading anyone, it’s Werth. Shane’s power numbers were up early but have moderated since… truth be told, we all would rather see him slapping singles than swinging for the fences. The worst thing that could happen to Vic is him getting the false sense that he’s a home run hitter.

53. The Original Chuck P

July 27, 2010 at 5:03 pm

2nd J… you’ll have to bring more to the table than that.

54. MikeB.

July 27, 2010 at 5:05 pm

MLB Trade Rumors has that the Phillies would like to keep Werth; might be able to trade for Oswalt without giving up Werth. You do not want to give this guy up with his 5-tool qualities and potential power numbers. Someone is going to have to go to make room for Brown and it is not going to be Werth. Count on it!

55. Bacardipr05

July 27, 2010 at 5:07 pm

give away ibanez eat up 9 mill in his contract and kept vict and werth them two cover a lot of ground defensively and has saved our butts on more than a few just whis Vict starts batting more wisely instead of just mindless hacks…

56. The Second John

July 27, 2010 at 5:14 pm

OCP, his BB rate is 5.95. The MLB average is 3.46. His HR/9 is 1.83. The average is 0.96. His FIP is 5.19.

57. The Second John

July 27, 2010 at 5:14 pm

The MLB average for FIP is 4.15

58. mike

July 27, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Oswalt now says his 16 mil option for 2012 could “be restructured” and that he would “consider playing for east coast team”

He’ll be a Phil

59. MikeB.

July 27, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Yeh; Bacardipr05, seems like it would be the best course of action for the Phils. Yet if the Phils can land a dependablet starting pitcher and reliever without giving up any of their current outfielders, maybe they will wait on Dom Brown and just bring him up as a September recall for this year and wait until next year to instill him full time in the outfield and let things slide into the off-season with Werth thereby allowing things take care of themseves at that time.

60. MikeB.

July 27, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Houston organization reportedly waits until last minute to make deals. Would not be surprised to see them milk him for one last start and then trade him on Saturday…wasn’t it reported that his next scheduled start is on Friday night?

61. psujoe

July 27, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Would love to get Guzman or Tejada cheaply. Ransom isn’t the answer. I like Valdez in a reduced role. I’d love Soria or Downs, but they’ll cost. Nolasco’s era isn’ t much better than Kendricks and I think Joe B. is starting to come on. So if the Phils can get a solid #3 like OSwalt then cool, if not back off starters and get one more solid lefty BP arm and an IF.

62. bacardipr05

July 27, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Yea i would think so Mike B…Dom Brown is gonna need some time to blossom most likely…the thing that kills the whole idea is Ibanez..i have nothing against Raul…How much is Werth asking for? Certainly the Phils can go over slightly over budget next year no old Man Moyer…

63. Tim Kurkjian

July 27, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Hello Philadelphia,
    This Tim Kurkjian from BBT on ESPN and I’m not sure if that is Buster or not. It most likely isn’t but I have heard about this rumor from Jayson Stark and John Kruk. It is some sort of trade that may involve 5-8 players. If this gets done, the Phillies will send J.A. Happ, Shane Victorino, an unnamed prospect, and cash for Roy Oswalt and an outfield prospect. Jayson Werth is also in the trade talk but he will most likely stay put. That’s all I’ve heard but tune into BBT tonight for more up to date info.

64. George

July 27, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Madson has been bad in save situations, and Contreras has been bad a lot lately. Lidge is still the only option. His command is off, but his stuff is still decent. Command can usually be fixed.

Unless the Phils get Soria, who’d be ridiculously expensive, there are no real closers available. Downs is a setup man, Woods sucks this year and seems fragile physically. Rivera, Wagner, Brian Wilson, and others are not going to be traded.

I suggest we all start rooting for Lidge instead of freaking out about him. There have been other successful closers with high BB and HR rates.

65. George

July 27, 2010 at 6:12 pm

The people posting under sportswriter’s names need to get their own lives.

66. Brooks

July 27, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Lidge is the only option now. But he has been lucky where as last year the only luck he saw was bad.

Brad’s stuff, particularly his fast ball, is down in velocity from 08. His breaking ball is predictable. Cholly will not stop using him unless he blows his arm out – we all know that – which after 3 cortisone shots may just happen, until then, Brad is our guy.

67. Brooks

July 27, 2010 at 6:40 pm

I did not think Jroll was going to miss more than one day? Apparently Cholly has said a couple of days off.
    Crap –

68. GWFightinsFan

July 27, 2010 at 9:19 pm

How about Happ, Gose, Cosart, JC Ramirez and Rizzotti to the Marlins for Nolasco and Leo Nunez?

69. George

July 27, 2010 at 11:19 pm

That’s too much to pay for Nolasco and Nunez.

70. Aaron

July 28, 2010 at 1:38 am

sure this guy has character issues but how about Carlos Zambrano?

71. Tony

July 28, 2010 at 9:58 am

Amaro: Please get Carmona.

72. Pingback: A Ghillie Suit-to Build or to Buy | mens business suit, women, boy

73. OZ

July 28, 2010 at 11:32 am

i live in Miami these days boys ‘n’ girls, Nolasco is not that good…