Phillies Trade Deadline Thread: July 29 – Phillies Nation
News

Phillies Trade Deadline Thread: July 29

– A deal for Roy Oswalt appears imminent. According to MyFOX Houston, the Astros and Phillies ahve agreed to a deal that would send Oswalt to Philadelphia. What the Phils would be sending back is currently unknown, but talks seem to be progressing rapidly and more details could be available shortly overnight.

The deal is dependent upon Oswalt’s acceptance of the deal, as he has a no-trade clause. Rumors have flown in both directions about Oswalt’s desire to play in Philly, but his accepting of a trade would probably put those issues to rest.

Oswalt has a 3.42 ERA this season with 120 strikeouts in 129 innings for the Astros. He is signed through 2011, with a club option for 2012.

– Rumor also has the Phillies interested in the Majors’ home runs leader, Jose Bautista. MLB Trade Rumors has a good post up on that rumor. Bautista would provide right-handed pop, combined with the ability to play third base, as well as corner outfield spots. Bautista was hitting .254/.364/.580 with 30 home runs entering games Thursday.

1. Andrew from Waldorf

July 29, 2010 at 1:08 am

Wow
    First I am guessing Werth would be gone? Thats why you trade for bautista.
    Get the Jays to throw in a couple of those relievers.

2. Land Shark

July 29, 2010 at 1:12 am

This is spinning out of control…I hope Amaro knows what the hell hes doing here. It would be nice to add that extra right handed pop to the plate, but what does he expect to do when Utley comes back, and Polanco is back to playing 3rd? Bautista would be awesome off the bench in the playoffs tho, wouldn’t he? Yikes.

3. jt

July 29, 2010 at 1:18 am

I think oswalt will accept a trade to the phils even if the $16MM option isn’t guranteed…rumor is he can’t wait to get out of houston,so if he has a chance to get traded,I think he’ll accept the trade…

4. bacardipr05

July 29, 2010 at 1:19 am

Land Shark yes it is out of control now Bautista too…It well be totally retarded if Amaro trades Werth now when he is heating up….RETARDED….base on what 1 day of D Brown…

5. Land Shark

July 29, 2010 at 1:20 am

Hell yea about Oswalt too…I hope this is official by the time I wake up in the morning. Boy do we all have a lot to talk about tomorrow with co-workers, and friends. There hasn’t been this much excitement with this club since the world series in 08’….Brown, Oswalt, Bautista, 7th straight win…Shit! this is turning into another ”Great” season for the Phils. Especially after coming off one of their worst slumps in history.

6. Glutenous

July 29, 2010 at 1:20 am

We will aquire bautista, and next season the national league will implement use of designated hitters and we will be set. ;D

7. bacardipr05

July 29, 2010 at 1:20 am

I say we can hold off until Utley comes back we have enough pop to make up for Valdez and Dobbs batting woes

8. Andrew from Waldorf

July 29, 2010 at 1:22 am

Lets hope the site stays up tomorrow!

9. Land Shark

July 29, 2010 at 1:28 am

I was looking up Bautista’s contract…He’s only owed like 1.2 million if the Phils were to take on his 1-year contract. Dobbs and Bautista both signed 1 year 2.5 Million dollar contracts for 2010. Looks like Amaro is trying to let Dobbs walk at the end of this season and re-sign Bautista to be our Bench/Utility guy. It would be a smart decision

10. BS

July 29, 2010 at 1:37 am

So much for building up that farm system.

11. Jeremy

July 29, 2010 at 1:50 am

besides Happ I could see Worley going as well Rizzotti, but I agree that the farm is getting awefully thin, and I’d love to know how the Phillies will afford all this as evrn with an Oswalt deal there are questions as to if the Phillies can meet payroll this year. I understand Bautista doens’t make a lot but where the heck would he play once Utley comes back? The infeild will be crowded as well as the outfield

12. Stallone

July 29, 2010 at 1:52 am

Ummm…I’m supposed to go to sleep now? Don’t trade Colvin, Cosart or May that’s all I ask. The next 2 days may shape the franchise for the next 5 yrs

13. bacardipr05

July 29, 2010 at 2:02 am

Stallone i agree..i was hoping Mathieson could be our closer of the very near future…the farm system will be completely gutted in the next two days..if they get Bautista i suppose they will let Dobbs go or send him to minors again..

14. Brian Sr. of CO

July 29, 2010 at 2:41 am

I doubt Bautista has anything to do with Werth right now honestly. I had recently read the Phillies have offered Werth a contract. Not sure if its true. I hope he accepts it. He had a HORRIBLE May and June, but July he has turned it on.

15. Jeremy

July 29, 2010 at 3:00 am

Phillies Receive:

SP Roy Oswalt (Phils agree to renegotiate 2012 buyout from $2M to $5M)
    2B/Utility Jeff Keppinger
    Cash Consideration of $8M (roughly half of Oswalt’s remaining 2010 salary plus buyout)

Astros Receive:

1B Jon Singleton
    P JA Happ
    P Scott Mathieson
    OF Anthony Gose

16. Psujoe

July 29, 2010 at 3:26 am

I hope there’s an archive. I was a huge proponent of trading for downs and/or Bautista last year. Was hoping to get one of them in the halladay deal.

17. Pingback: Wright | Aquarian Publishing

18. Andrew from Waldorf

July 29, 2010 at 4:18 am

I hate to see Mathieson go.
    Notice that salary/money is always a big issue.
    Thats why you have to be careful with contracts and length of contracts.
    This team BETTER continue to play well and make the playoffs etc etc.
    The 2010 Phillies are all in

19. eppi

July 29, 2010 at 4:23 am

Hopefully he approves it if not then it’s his lost

20. NJ

July 29, 2010 at 4:25 am

Jeremy where did you read that? That would be a terrible deal for the Phils…

21. Andrew from Waldorf

July 29, 2010 at 4:25 am

Its Official.

2 roys in what 8 months? gotta love it.

the wizard and the doctor.

Im excited. I guess the Playoff rotation would be Doc Oswalt cole?
    Or is cole still the #2

We are the best team in the National league. Now get me Feasor Downs and Gregg from the Jays and we may win every game the rest of the year 🙂

22. Andrew from Waldorf

July 29, 2010 at 4:30 am

NJ its an OK deal

Its done to win a WS this year and or next. Happ is a 4th or 5th starter. Oswalt is a 1. If yuo think Cole is a 1 thats 3 aces for the phils. Its a great trade.

And hes only 4 years older than Happ. Happ has 14 career wins. Love the guy but lets be realistic.

This is an Ace. I doubt Happ is ever more than a mid rotation guy. wish him the best though.

23. jeremy

July 29, 2010 at 4:38 am

@ NJ the source is supposedly from someone conected to agent Bob Garber. After reading that I was in shock for a while but after thinking about it, it has to be bull, its way to much for Oswalt, heck that’s more than enough to swing a Halladay. Tomorrow should be interesting

24. NJ

July 29, 2010 at 4:40 am

I like Oswalt plus salary relief for Happ plus two moderate prospects fine but Gose and Singleton… Both are likely to be on the next list of top 100 prospects so I’d consider that a GREAT haul for Houston if it goes down like that.

25. jonnyboy

July 29, 2010 at 11:16 pm

i was saddened today when on arguably the biggest day for Phillies fans all year the site was down 🙁 but 8 in a row baby!!! and oswalt up tomorrow! hope people start talking on here soon!!

26. Andrew from Waldorf

July 29, 2010 at 11:17 pm

WOW
    Great site!

Big extra inning win for the fightins.

Seriously the name of this site and the product is good. Get the server going invest a little money. I think this site could be a big earner long term. I am willing to contribute with my comments.

27. Repeat

July 29, 2010 at 11:53 pm

After the 3rd loss in a row to Cards the 2010 Phils looked dead. And now? Amazin. We may not agree w/all their moves. But for the 1st time in our lives the Philadelphia Phillies are major players. The bp is still scary but so is most bps. Ind the Yanks~exp MO. Cholly over thought tonite. But we got the win. On to DC w/Oswalt and Brown!

28. why?

July 29, 2010 at 11:54 pm

get some real hosting. it seems all of the phillies fan blog suck at availability.

29. rob5000

July 29, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Time and time again this site proves incapable of covering major news. Very disappointed.

30. jeff

July 30, 2010 at 12:06 am

What a trade. I heard it was more of the owners involved. We get Roy for six million a year. They are giving us 11 million. he is owed 23 million in two years. for what happ and prospects. amazing deal for us. With brown up and this rotation. we will speed pass the braves. all the way baby.

31. Mazinman

July 30, 2010 at 12:52 am

The more I heard of this trade the better I liked it. We get an Ace type pitcher for dirt cheap considering the money we are getting from Houston which allows us still some flexibility for next year. I will miss Happ but good job by the Phillies.

What I have found truly comical from all of this has been ESPN’s general reaction to how we now compare to the Braves. A lot of their analysts have been saying that it will be very difficult to overcome the lead the Braves have and that they still have the advantage in pitching. Uhm… haven’t they been watching baseball the last week? 5 games shaved off the lead in one week and 2 1/2 is not doable?

We got two big shots of momentum this week while the Braves have been floundering. With us playing the Nats and the Braves going to Cincinnati I think the odds look good for us closing the gap even more.

32. Repeat

July 30, 2010 at 1:04 am

The Brave are n/d on the road vs home w/home stand coming up. They are not going anywhere.