2010 Game Recaps

Ryan Howard Injured, Game Result Rendered Irrelevant

Hey! So the Braves lost today. Cole Hamels struck out 10 without walking a batter in seven innings, and Dom Brown got his first career stolen base. Ryan Madson, Brad Lidge, and Jose Contreras all pitched effectively to lead the Phillies to a much-needed win.

But today’s story was written with two outs in the first inning. With Jayson Werth on second and Ryan Howard on first, Ben Francisco went the other way with a single, plating Werth. Howard went a little too far around second, tweaked his left ankle, and left the game.

There’s some guy with the handle “PHILLYBOY” who’s been commenting on today’s gameday post from a computer with a broken CAPS LOCK key. I think he put it better than anyone: “GOT HURT GOING BACK TO SECOND!!DOES NOT LOOK GOOD PRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!”

According to Ryan Lawrence of the Delaware County Daily Times, x-rays to Howard’s ankle and right elbow were negative, though a stint on the DL could still be in the offing. If that does end up being the case, the Phillies will have collected the complete set of starting infielders on the DL.

We’ll have more news on the most important ankle in the Delaware Valley as information comes in. 6-4 is your final in 11 innings–Contreras picks up the win, Collin Balester the loss, and Brad Lidge gets the save. The Phillies now stand 2 1/2 games behind the Braves and three games behind the Giants for the wild card.

1. jeremy

August 1, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Time to bring up the best hitter in the minors that phillies fans have never heard of. Reading 1st baseman Matt Rizzotti, batting over .360 his on base plus slugging is nearly 1.200, they won’t even pitch to him in AA anymore, walking 16 times in the past week.

2. Karen Fouracre

August 1, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Will that be a first for a team?

3. Andrew from Waldorf

August 1, 2010 at 6:27 pm

I predct Howard will be back by next friday.
    And ijuries are part of the game. Really I dont dwell or worry. you play with who is out there. Builds charachter. If this team can make it they will have tons of charachter.

4. Phylan

August 1, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Wouldn’t say Rizzotti is knocking down the door just yet. It’s 300 or so at-bats of production that is far and away better than anything he has ever done in his career, and he’s never really been regarded as a prospect. His .414 BABIP is certain to regress. His accomplishments have been impressive, but a partial season of tearing up the minors doesn’t automatically make you the next guy up.

5. JRocket

August 1, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Seems like this year, when they get a break, they can’t seem to take advantage. The Nats series would have been a perfect time to gain some ground, but the Phils lose 2 of 3. They need to get consistency now.

6. Phylan

August 1, 2010 at 6:33 pm

What is “consistency?” Everyone says the Phillies lack it, but every team has losing streaks and winning streaks. No team wins 162 games.

7. "PHILLYBOY"

August 1, 2010 at 6:40 pm

So am i famous now lol?Thank god he is not hurt as bad as we thought!!!!

8. "PHILLYBOY"

August 1, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Sry about the caps lol…..

9. "PHILLYBOY"

August 1, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Per phillies beat writers-dl not likely!

10. "PHILLYBOY"

August 1, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Well they did gain 1 game!Should have atleast took 2 of 3!

11. shipsass

August 1, 2010 at 7:27 pm

How about using Akismet to deal with comment spam?

12. Land Shark

August 1, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I’m not a doctor but I’m guessing Howard will out for a good week or better, depending on how severe the sprain is…This is turning into a circus act. One man down after another

August 1, 2010 at 8:40 pm

““He’s going to be OK,” manager Charlie Manuel said. “I don’t expect him to miss very much time. If anything, he might miss a day or two. We’re off tomorrow. He might miss Tuesday or Wednesday, but he could very well be in the lineup on Tuesday. It’s going to be a short period.”

Oh, I hope so, Charlie, I hope so.
    How on Earth could Ryno heal so quickly from a sprained ankle?

14. George

August 1, 2010 at 8:42 pm

To those who decry the Phils’ not taking more games from the Nats, I can only point out that the Nats also took two of three from the Braves.

They’ve won 9 out of their last 11. If that’s not taking advantage of a break, I’m not sure what is. And four of those wins were against a team fighting for first place, which isn’t exactly a break, anyway.

I’m hoping Howard doesn’t miss more than a few games. If he hits the DL, it could be the straw that breaks the Phils’ back.

Nice game today. Won in extras with the “small ball” everyone says Manuel never plays. Oswalt might be worth having because at least he knows how to bunt.

15. psujoe

August 1, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I don’t understand how anyone can be unhappy with winning 9 of the last 11. I’m Ok with being upset how they lost yesterday, but 9-11 against anyone is pretty good.

16. BurrGundy

August 1, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Please keep us posted on Ryan Howard’s prognosis. Thanks

17. MikeB.

August 1, 2010 at 8:49 pm

George, in all fairness, Colorado was without Tulowitzski and Helton, who were out hurt. They are a couple of their top hitters, if not their two top hitters. Do not mean to take anything away from Phils who played well at home against the Rox.

18. George

August 1, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Oswalt can pitch, too, but bunting is a valuable skill that many others don’t have.

19. jeff

August 1, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Bad post. Game was very very important. Day to day. Suck it up

20. George

August 1, 2010 at 8:59 pm

No matter who the Phils played, 9 of 11 is decent enough for me. The Phils have had injuries, too. Playing a team missing two players is not a break when your own team is missing just as many.

Personally, I think the entire criticism of the Phils losing two games to Washington is unfounded. They aren’t the Nationals of last year, and they were the home team. And when you’ve just won 8 straight, the law of averages tends to even things out. Did anyone really expect the Phils to run their streak to 11?

21. Land Shark

August 1, 2010 at 9:05 pm

We’ve got a pretty easy 1st week of August…This is the Phillies chance to capitalize and gain some ground. The Braves have a tough week ahead of them. I won’t be surprised if they don’t call up Rizzotti from Reading…Hes on fire with 16 HRs and a .362 AVG.

22. George

August 1, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I’ll for once agree with Jeff. This game was very important, or more accurately, this WIN was very important. Howard’s injury doesn’t change the fact that the Phils are one game closer to first place.

We’re all worried about Howard, but let’s comment on the games until more injury updates are available.

23. Conrad

August 1, 2010 at 9:11 pm

“Game result rendered irrelevant”? Give me a break. Yeah, Howard’s injury is a big deal, but the game was not irrelevant. Far from it. The Phils won — with Ibanez out from the get-go, followed by Howard (who hasn’t exactly been tearing it up lately, at 2 for his last 20) early on — after a demoralizing, gut-wrenching loss last night and after Howard’s potentially demoralizing injury, salvaging at least a piece of this series and picking up a game on the Braves.

August 1, 2010 at 9:19 pm

@Conrad – great post

Don’t forget 9 out of last 11 without Utley- then the loss of Vic, and Raul. This team isn’t folding without a Phight!

I must admit a very sick to my stomach feeling when I saw Ryno stay down, then get helped off. I’m sure everyone on the bench did.

But that’s why the win is NOT irrelevant, the phightins are showing some toughness in hard times.

25. Bruce

August 1, 2010 at 9:27 pm

That was such a noble act of faith by Charlie Manuel to put Lidge out there again so soon after yesterday’s disastrous blown save. The motivation obviously was to give Lidge a chance to bounce back quickly and rejuvenate his confidence. For one day it worked as Lidge beginning with the first and best hitter, Zimmerman, retired him and the next two batters in order. A save! That’s #11 out of 14 tries. Of course, the next order of business for Lidge is to develop consistency. We shall see.

Welcome to the big leagues, Domonic Brown. He is finding out that pitchers here quickly make adjustments, almost daily, in looking for a hitter’s weakness. Brown, in turn, has to make adjustments of his own in studying each one and their repertoire of pitches and approach.

26. Land Shark

August 1, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I’ve noticed pitchers killing Brown these past 2 games with inside curves that break way inside. He’ll be alright. He just has to study his oppenents a little more next time, and wait for his pitches.

27. Philly Texan

August 1, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Phils are saying Howard is day-to-day. But I really don’t buy that. For anyone who’s ever sprained their ankle real bad—and I’ve done it a few times—it’s a good two weeks before you can really put enough weight on it to run and change directions. And it’s usually a few months before you get all the strength back.

I think the Phils are full of sh*t on this one. He’s out probably two weeks. Might as well put him on the DL and bring in someone to take his roster spot.

August 1, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Does this site have a MOD? Please stop the poker spammer. He/She is spreading malware.

29. David

August 1, 2010 at 10:27 pm

1st base seems to be an area where the Phils are strong in the minor leagues. Maybe you bring Rizzotti up to the bigs if Ryan Howard has to go on the disabled list.

Have to say. With the lineup today (after Howard went down), the Nationals had the better team on paper except for the starting pitcher. I’m not sure how good this team really is without Howard, Utley, Victorino and Ibanez. So any win they can come up with is good.

30. RealMetsFan

August 1, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Congrats for the Phillies success. I believe they will overtake the Braves. The Braves are playing way over their heads. Let’s face it the Phillies play their best baseball when their backs are against the wall. They deserve to win the division. As for my beloved Mets, They are all but done for the season. The only way for them to even have a tiny chance of competing this year is to sweep the Braves the next three games, then sweep the Phillies the following three. Well, THATS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. So for all intents and purpose the Mets are done for 2010. See ya in 2011, it will probably play the same for them in the years to come.

31. Repeat

August 1, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Just got off the phone with Howards ankle. Ht told me that the sprain was nothing… Nothing that a little medical weed cant handle that is. Phils gotta hold serve vs the fish with the braves playing a woeful road team in the mets.

32. MikeB.

August 1, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Well George, I do not agree with you. I guess it all depends on how you look at it. The Phillies caught a break because Helton and Tulowitzski were out hurt for Colorado. If they had been in the Colorado lineup, possibly the Rox might have won a couple of games from the Phils. These guys are all supposed to be major league baseball players and be able to get the job done no matter who is hurt. Probably evened out with top players from both teams being out.

33. Pingback: Are poker opens actually open? | Poker Agent Information

34. Pingback: An Introduction to Poker | Poker Talks

35. Pingback: Online Poker Cheating: Why Collusion Doesn?t Work | Poker Agent Information

36. Pingback: What is the game ID for Super Mario 64 DS? | Super Mario 64 DS

37. Pingback: Where can I find the Super Mario 64 soundtrack? | Super Mario 64 DS

38. Pingback: How do you pick up shells in new super mario ds? And how do you throw them? | Super Mario 64 DS

39. Pingback: How can I change the programme for super mario 64 rom from project 64 to nemu 64? | Super Mario 64 DS

40. Pingback: What is the difference between paper mario and super paper mario? | Super Mario 64 DS

41. Pingback: winning vs. Winning in youth soccer | League Goals

42. Brian Sr. of CO

August 2, 2010 at 1:54 am

@ MikeB, about the Rockies…If they lost 8 in a row had to do with only being with Tolu and Helton, then can you really say they definately would have taken several games from us? Not to mention, they have had a losing record for much of the first half of the season. I believe Helton and Tolu were both in there. Even if they were in, does that mean Jimenez wouldnt have given up 6 runs against the Phillies in what 2.1 IP? Their pitching was also not very good at the time. I really dont think those two players would have made that big of a difference.

Back to this game, and a spill over from yesterday. Sure Lidge got the save. Cool. I still dont trust him, and I think he is a liability, but I am not going to blame RAJ for Lidge screwing up right now. RAJ is not the GM who signed lidge to the new deal. RAJ is not keeping him out there when he is noticeably off his game. Blame lidge for lidge, but if Lidge is flat out, off his game, and usually its OBVIOUS (yesterday) blame Manuel for not yanking him after the walk. The sad fact of the matter is we do not have a consitant closer. Consitant I mean, compare Lidges numbers for home games versus away games. Lidge has a 10.50 ERA AWAY, and a 3.60 ERA at HOME. Why keep Lidge in the game AWAY when its first and second, 1 out with an ERA that bad? Just like someone said before, certain bench players will play depending on the pitcher, Left vs Right, are we not looking at the pitcher? Even Lidge last season, 11 Blow Saves. 10 (TEN) of them were AWAY! With our entire Bullpen, we have blown 7 saves which turned out to be losses. we have a total of 14 Blown Saves. Take the 7 which turned out to be losses. If we could have (about) half of that, and 4 of them were losses, and 3 were wins…We would be what, 1/2 game up? I dont expect to win every game, I expect we will blow some saves, but these are NOT good stats.

@Land Shark, its hard to say that Howard would be “will be out for a good week or better” You never can tell. From my own experiences, you can even tell from watching it. I have cronic ankle sprains, so while I am not an “expert”, I have experienced it enough as a soccer player with bad ankles. Once time I rolled my ankle and was landed on, when watching the tape, looked far worse thajn what Howard did, and I was out for 2 days. Another time, I rolled my ankle, which in this case, did not look anywhere near as bad as Howard rolled it, and I was out for 2 weeks! If people are reporting DL is unlikely, I doubt he will be out for longer than a week. I would think 2-3 games. But again, I am not Doctor.

43. Pingback: mario kart ds commercial | Mario Kart DS

44. Adrian

August 2, 2010 at 2:35 am

Ok, Jayson Werth is going to have to start throwing salt over his shoulder before every game. He’s the only starter in the lineup that hasn’t been seriously hurt yet this season. He’s finally taken himself off the mental DL so we can’t afford to lose him now.

45. MikeB.

August 2, 2010 at 3:12 am

Its all just speculation, Brian Sr. of CO; some of you poster I think like to debate things just for the sake of debating. I am just saying that Colorado might have won a couple of the games from the Phillies had Helton and Tulowitzski been in there; Maybe they would have and maybe they would not have. I never said that they would have. To say that they slumped earlier in the year with Helton and Tulowitzski in there and that they would not have won with those two in there just recently against the Phillies does not carry much weight either. Do you remember how Colorado played for a good portion of the second half last year? They were on fire and almost won their division. Lost 8 games in a row before they played the Phillies just recently…again just speculation that they would not have beaten the Phillies with the two hurt players back in there. The last 2 games were close; Saunders pitched well in one of them, do not remember who the other pitcher was in the other close loss they had in Philly, Helton and Tulowitzski might have in the two close losses. Again, speculation on my part. All speculation. No big issue.

46. MikeB.

August 2, 2010 at 3:16 am

Meant to say that Helton and Tulowitzski might have had an impact on Colorado’s two close losses in Philadelphia.

47. Pingback: Soccer balls | League Goals

48. Brian Sr. of CO

August 2, 2010 at 4:34 am

@MikeB, Tulo came back just after out series, and their losing streak continued with Tulo in there. Thats all Im saying. And while Helton and Tulo were not in the lineup then, what about Utley? They played who they had, just like we played who we had, and even with all the injuries, we are still in the race. Also, the Rockies in the regular season have not done well IN Philly. I think it has alot more to do with where it is, than who they had in there. Especially Helton. Giambi was playing if I remember correctly, and in nearly half the at bats as Helton, Giambi has more Homers and more RBI’s. He has a higher Average as well, but with that much less at bats, that could really play into it, buit it says something with the homers and RBI’s to me. I think you are putting to much on Helton. Tulo…Maybe not.Pretty darn good player. Helton is just flat out past his prime.

49. Pingback: NRHH:Are You A Hardcore Gamer? | Super Paper Mario

50. Pingback: Is it possible to have more than 10 items in Super Paper mario? | Super Paper Mario

51. Pingback: How many of you are bored of your Wii? | Super Paper Mario

52. Kate

August 2, 2010 at 6:06 am

WHAT?

What game was the OP watching? Irrelevant? In what universe was this game irrelevant?

The Phillies could have completely fallen apart after Howard went down in what had the potential to be a season-ending injury. But Hamels barely let the sudden glaring absence of the Big Piece faze him from doing what he had to do to give the offense a chance to stay in the game.

Jayson Werth and Placido Polanco picked up right where Howard left off and led the way for a battle back late in the game. How is that irrelevant when we’ve been worrying all year about their seeming inability to score in more than two innings of a game?

The bullpen could have shrugged their shoulders and blamed an implosion on the demoralization in the wake of Howard’s unexpected exit. Instead, Contreras and Madson and Lidge kept the ship steady.

This was a HUGE game. The Nationals are a much better team than their standings indicate and they took two out of three from the Braves as well. I’m not exactly happy they took the series, but I’m glad we managed to avoid a streak.

This is the problem with Phillies fans. They can’t recognize big-time performances in seemingly small ways when they get smacked in the face with them. This was a huge win and proves the toughness of this team. The unexpected exit of Howard could have been devastating, but the damage was contained.

53. Brooks

August 2, 2010 at 6:31 am

Jeez Kate!

You’re right (perhaps a little touchy?) though and I would comment on the potential impact of our big man being out. Look, I would all but toss the season in for next year if Howard went down. Regardless of the naysayers about his contract, his propensity for striking out – Ryan Howard is the main reason for the post season. He has been and those on Phillies Nation that don’t recognize it, those who talk about getting rid of the big man and replacing him with Utley or whatever – people, wake the *$^ up. The combination of our pitching, supporting cast of Werth, Raul, Poly, Rollins, Utley, Ruiz, Vic – all terrific players, they set the table but who knocks them in on an AVERAGE of 140 rbi a year?

Plain and simple, without Ryan Howard this team might be on par with the Atlanta Braves, maybe as good as the Rockies or Reds but not good enough to win it all.

54. Chuck

August 2, 2010 at 7:31 am

I agree with some of the other posters…

When I first read “Game Result Rendered Irrelevant” I almost fell off my chair.

How can you even suggest that at all??

The Braves lost and the Phils pulled back to within 2.5 of first. The started the series 2.5 back and ended it there….after losing the series. How is that “irrelevant”??? I’m sure that the team would be insulted beyond belief if they read that. I know I am as a fan.

Bad post. REALLY bad journalism.

55. Stuart

August 2, 2010 at 7:51 am

Yeah not to thrilled with the title of this article. It was an injury that does not look like it will be much. Maybe a few days to a week and something like that is big enough to make the game irrelevant? They won in extras to pull with within 2.5 games of the Braves, they battled back from trailing 4-2. How on earth, was this game not a huge game with a huge outcome.

But on another note, I know pretty much everything there is to know about baseball except one thing, I can never successfully predict pitchers in advance. If all goes well with the pitchers and they pitch in order that they should, who is due up next Sunday against the Mets? I am at the shore for the week and have tickets to that game. Thanks!

56. Pingback: Poker Online. Playing Poker in Internet | Poker Stunt

57. Pingback: How to Make a Fulltime Living With Online Poker | Poker Route

58. Pingback: Live Online Poker Event – Making Money On The Net! | Poker Shuffle Pad

59. Pingback: Crafting your online poker tournament strategy | Poker Mania Now

60. Pingback: Discipline in Poker Game | Poker Play Home

61. Pingback: How to Increase Your Poker Skills | Poker Talks

62. Pingback: Spotting Online Poker Tells | Poker Reserved

63. Pingback: The Dangers of Playing Poker With Fun Money | Poker Reserved

64. Pingback: Find Top Online Poker Sites | Poker Runner

65. Pingback: Four Tips For Online Poker Games | Poker Clubs International

66. Pingback: Super Mario 64: Endless Stairs Glitch and Ending | Super Mario 64 DS

67. Pingback: Super Mario Strikers Playstation One Commercial | Super Mario 64 DS

68. Pingback: Poker Online. Playing Poker in Internet | Poker Closet

69. Dave

August 2, 2010 at 8:30 am

Cole Hamels has only 1 more win than Jose Contreras. Unbelievable.

70. Pingback: Learn to Use Poker Omaha Strategies to Improve Your Game | Poker Mania Now

71. Pingback: Bluefirepoker challenges US Government to a $1000000 Poker Match | Poker Party Practice

72. Pingback: Playing Poker in Loose and Tight Games | Poker Party Practice

73. NickFromGermantown

August 2, 2010 at 8:46 am

Even though we won, the Jeltz should be awarded anyway to the second base bag.

These injuries are jut getting silly at this point. And, thankfully, we’re STILL in it! I hope we win the World Series this year. It would be one heck of a story.

74. Pingback: Learn to play winning poker online | Poker Party Practice

75. Pingback: Helena Poker Rooms – Texas Holdem Poker Betting | Poker Party Practice

76. TBOH

August 2, 2010 at 9:01 am

I think, and maybe I’m stating the obvious, but I think that maybe the headline was meant to forge some humor out of an otherwise negative situation. So to think that they are stating the game was ACTUALLY irrelevant is incorr–Oh shit I can “learn to play winning poker online?!” Later.

77. Pingback: How to Tell the Difference Between Clay Poker Chips and Casino Poker Chips | Poker Agent Information

78. Pingback: Charlie Manuel Assures You, Ryan Howard Not Dead | That Balls Outta Here | A Philadelphia Phillies Blog

79. Pingback: Soccer- The Truth About Kids Soccer | League Goals

80. Pingback: Understanding Online Poker Tournaments | Poker Talks

81. Pingback: Silver Jewes: An Undying Passion | Sandy Bottom Productions

82. George

August 2, 2010 at 9:46 am

Something needs to be done about all these bogus and potentially computer damaging posts. Poker tournaments, production company ads, and Super Mario Brothers do not belong here. I’m sure there are ways to block this garbage before they overwhelm the Phillies Nation server.

83. Greg

August 2, 2010 at 9:52 am

I’m 100% willing to volunteer to delete every one of these freaking SPAM posts. This is absurd. I have to sift through them to get to legitimate comments.

84. Pingback: Guitar Hero World Tour Unboxing for Xbox 360 pt.2 | Super Paper Mario

85. Pingback: Classic Game Room HD – Wii CLASSIC CONTROLLER review | Super Paper Mario

86. Chuck

August 2, 2010 at 10:03 am

Well, look at it THIS way….at least this site is up!!!

87. bucky

August 2, 2010 at 10:05 am

Did you guys set up a new theme for iPhone? It doesn’t seem to let me expand the comments section anymore!

88. Phylan

August 2, 2010 at 10:10 am

How are all of you seriously not getting that he was just being snarky with the post title? Seriously? How do you people operate in real life without basic sarcasm detection?

89. Greg

August 2, 2010 at 10:12 am

@Bucky: I had the same problem with my Blackberry. It’s back to normal now, for me at least.

August 2, 2010 at 10:13 am

Ughhh.. SPAM

…Shane’s on his way to take care of this.

91. Chuck

August 2, 2010 at 10:48 am

“Snarky with the post title”???

Phylan, I’m sorry, but I didn’t get that at all…..and I can be a pretty sarcastic guy.

92. The Original Chuck P

August 2, 2010 at 10:49 am

I sat on my chair in silence while Howard sat on all fours in pain… it was extremely disheartening. You’ve gotta like that this team is fighting… without Howard for any prolonged period, it’s hard to see how this team can win BUT if there is one thing that we’ve all learned rooting for this particular group of guys it’s that there is no quit in them. The minute you count them out, they will be knocking on the door to prove you wrong.

The one good thing that will point out… usually, severe ankle injuries (high sprains and breaks) occur when the ankle sticks; that is, when there is no give or roll. In this case, as painful as it looked (and surely was), there was no stick. He clearly rolled over on it so the hope is that it’s a sprain and only a sprain and he’ll be able to get back on it in a few days.

How big was the Oswalt acquisition now?

93. Dave

August 2, 2010 at 11:04 am

If only Rollins could get hurt again…

94. Pingback: Why Play Low-stakes Poker | Poker Talks

95. Pingback: Winning Tips for Online Poker | Poker Play Home

96. Pingback: Poker: Easy Steps in Playing Holdem Poker | Poker Runner

97. Pingback: Tips for Winning at Poker | Poker Reserved

98. Pingback: You Can Play Games Online | pokerclassroomlive.com

99. Pingback: Playing Poker From Your Kitchen Table Or A Casino | Poker and Movies

100. Land Shark

August 2, 2010 at 11:33 am

Whats up with all this spam?

101. Chuck

August 2, 2010 at 11:39 am

I seriously don’t know what’s worse….the site being down all the time….or all this garbage spam.

102. "PHILLYBOY"

August 2, 2010 at 12:14 pm

For all who are jumping on the title-the man was trying to say that whatever the outcome of the game without howard the rest of the way the season would be done!!!Thats the way i see it,could be wrong,but i would i agree 1000%!!!!!!!We lose him-its OVER!!!!!!!!

103. Brooks

August 2, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I’m with you Phillyboy – turn the caps back on!

B )

What some are implying the win vs the Nats was not that important you are jumping the gun and not giving the author credit. The win was important, the bigger (or could be the biggest) story is when our big man went down and could not get up on his own. Phillyboy is right, the season would be a wash if we did not have Ryan.

104. Morris Buttermaker

August 2, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Remember when Myspace was really cool, and then all of a sudden it got really lame. And now it is like that strip mall on the old highway that used to be really cool, but now it just has a few dollar stores, a bad chinese buffet, and a car wash that looks to be closed. Starting to feel that way about this site. It goes down on the biggest days, and then when it is up, it is filled with spam.

105. loupossehl

August 2, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Thanks for the nice post, RealMetsFan.

Mets were snakebit with injuries last year; this year it’s the Phillies’ turn. This is not the first time, or the first year, that the current “edition” of the Phillies has shown true grit.

Bring up Rizzotti: (1) as noted by all, he has been hitting a ton; (2) he’s experienced and should be comfortable at 1B, as opposed to someone who’s not a fixture there but has played there from time to time; (3) he deserves it, and should he look good while up in the Bigs, it becomes a win-win as his trade value (eventually, Matt will be with some other organization) will zoom.

I don’t know what a spam solution might be, but this crap – as noted by the various legit contributors here – is getting to be a serious problem.

106. Chuck

August 2, 2010 at 12:33 pm

You guys are making HUGE assumptions with saying stuff like “the season would be a wash if we did not have Ryan.” and….”We lose him-it’s OVER!!!!”

Statements like that don’t give any credit at all to the other guys and their ability to step up when needed.

Think of ALLLL the injuries this year….and the fact that the Phillies are only 2.5 games out of 1st place. Truly amazing when you stop to think about it.

107. Don M

August 2, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Who will we play in the NLDS this year?

108. Chuck

August 2, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Just a few weeks ago all you people were b*tching about Ryan’s production this year. Now you’re ready to declare the season “OVER” if he would be out for a significant amount of time.

109. Kate

August 2, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I pay no attention to anyone who’s been complaining about Ryan’s production this year. He was, and still could be if the ankle doesn’t take too long to heal, on his way to another MVP-calibre season.

The season’s not over no matter how long we lose Ryan for. It’s a huge loss, certainly, but Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley (not to mention Polanco and Victorino) were also big losses, and where are we? Two and a half games out of first place and closing.

I’d advise Jayson Werth to look over his shoulder, though.

110. "PHILLYBOY"

August 2, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Chuck-my point is that people need to relize that without ryan,with all the injuries we have,there is no way you can replace him!!Sry thats a fact!!He is single handely the most important player we have!I am one of the biggest howard fans here and know how important he is!He is not like losing the other players on this team,you lose him you lose the season!!!I am not saying the team will fold,i know they have heart and will battle.But you are talking about the best run producer in the game,best power hitter,i have seen play for the phillies!!!He is our heart and soul!!!!!!!! p.s. i know i misspelled some words sry!

111. Brooks

August 2, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Chuck, this one has never complained about the size or length of Howard’s contract and like I said, without him in the lineup we are probably on par with teams like the Reds, Rockies and Braves – with Ryan we have the advantage. Over? Probably. Kate, no one player has had a bigger impact on the Phillies success over the past 4 years, period. Utley, Rollins, Werth, Vic, Chooch, Raul – all are makeup a great supporting cast. The big man gives us the edge.

Ryan Howard not in the lineup? OMG –

112. "PHILLYBOY"

August 2, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I agree brooks!!

113. Chuck

August 2, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Brooks, PHILLYBOY…

Are you guys SURE that you weren’t part of the Ryan Howard bashing party earlier in the year?? If you truly weren’t, then fine…points well taken.

But a lot of people were complainging about his production not that long ago…and now it’s like, “OMG…what are we gonna do??!!??!!”

114. Brooks

August 2, 2010 at 1:51 pm

As far as I’m concerned, anyone who complained about his contract needs a reality dose. I’ve felt that way since day one when I celebrated his signing.

115. "PHILLYBOY"

August 2, 2010 at 1:53 pm

NO!!!!!!!!!!! I have never bashed ryan howard ever!!!

116. "PHILLYBOY"

August 2, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Along with brooks i was very happy we signed him.Very happy to know he will be with the phillies long term.I think he is worth every penny!!!

117. "PHILLYBOY"

August 2, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I will admit to bashing werth and lidge at different points in the season!! But thats another topic!!

118. Kate

August 2, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Internet speak should be banned on this site.

119. Brooks

August 2, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Nice to have a day off, well needed rest.

120. The Original Chuck P

August 2, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I have always said that Howard doesn’t get the credit he deserves… the most irreplaceable player on our team… a truly historic player and one of the greatest run producers of all time. His impact on this franchise has been can be seen every time we’re on National television (which is pretty regularly nowadays… wasn’t so a few years ago). If he has to sit for a prolonged period, it would be devastating. If there is any team that could overcome those odds, it is this team but I hope for the sake of our fourth NLE title, that it doesn’t come to that.