Events

Saturday's Bus Trip and Tailgate for Mets-Phils game

Nick the BeermanOn Saturday, Phillies Nation and a fleet of buses made the trek up the Jersey Turnpike to watch Doc operate on the New York Mets. Once again, he did not disappoint.

The weather could not have been better, as we once again helped embarrass a fellow NL East rival (after witnessing a Ryan Zimmerman walk-off on our last trip), turning a Phillies road game into a neutral playing field. That weather was perfect for a classic Phillies Nation tailgate, which much like Doc never lets you down.

The Mets don’t let you grill in their lots, but that wasn’t a problem thanks to a delivery of 200 Philly cheesesteaks from Shorty’s in Manhattan. Add in hundreds of Yuenglings, Miller Lites, and over a dozen varieties of craft beers and we were good to go. There wasn’t much missing from this glorious Saturday, except maybe a semblance of a rivalry. Brian even handed out keychains to Mets fans as a sign of goodwill…and a little pity.

In recent years, the Phillies successes coupled with the Mets failures has taken some luster off the rivalry. However, when Mets fans try to bring it, Phillies fans aren’t ones to sit on their hands and take it quietly.

During the tailgate, one Met fan was attempting to heckle a gentleman on the trip. The gentleman’s wife did not take kindly to this and you know what she did? SHE SLAPPED THE METS FAN IN THE FACE WITH A CHEESESTEAK! Stereotypical? Maybe. But think about it. A Phillies fan hit a Mets fan in the face with a cheesesteak. Classic.

Citi Field

Eventually we all made it into the game, and once you get passed the 652,248,117 advertisements splattered across CitiField it is actually a beautiful ballpark that more than holds its own against the newest crop of stadiums to sprout up in Major League Baseball.

On the field, Roy Halladay had his A-game going and the Mets couldn’t play defense. So after just two-and-a-half hours, we were walking out of the stadium with a 4-0 victory. Ryan Madson provided some ninth-inning drama, but just for entertainment’s sake.

Thanks to everyone who attended and for helping to make it another successful road trip for Phillies Nation. This season over 1,000 Phillies fans traveled with us on our the three trips. With two of them featuring Roy Halladay starts, you couldn’t ask for much more.

1. Bart Shart

August 17, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Sounds like loads of fun.

2. Ryan H

August 17, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I personally think you’re being way too nice about Citi Field. I personally feel it’s a big dark daunting warehouse in a wasteland of a neighborhood that is a big stretch to even call “new york city”. It’s nowhere near the class of the newer throwback ballparks like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and of course Citizens Bank Park (which continues to prove itself as a modern masterpiece)

3. NickFromGermantown

August 17, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Honestly, I was at Citi Field during Friday’s game and I was very underwhelmed. While the park has a decent design, I have to say that the ads and naming rights bordered on obscene. Citizens Bank Park reflects and is a tribute to the city which it serves. You have many local institutions that have pitched in (and profit from) showing why Philadelphia is a unique American city. At Citi Field, you have the Delta Club, Caesar’s Club, and the Pepsi Porch.

In the same vein, I did not find the food to be unique in any way. Three words that should explain this perfectly: Nathan’s Hot Dogs. Yes, Nathan’s is from Coney Island, I get it, but come on now. Nathan’s hot dogs are simply not that good, yet they sell them just about anywhere they could wedge them in. It was hard to get a feel of anything uniquely New York in the stadium, which made it feel pland and generic.

The Mets’ seemingly endless tributes to Jackie Robinson can only leave one with a sense of cynicism regarding them. Robinson never played for the Mets and never even played in the same borough. It just seems like the Mets even regard themselves as New York’s “other team” and picked up where the cowardly, deserting Los Angeles Dodgers had no right to continue doing so. Maybe in that regard then, it is after all justified, but I still think the Mets confusing their history is more of a disservice. Jackie Robinson is indeed an inspiring person, but the whole time I felt like the Mets were cashing in by selling him out.

Maybe I am wrong though. Maybe Citi Field does reflect its city and team better than I had thought. It is named for one of the most poorly run banks in the world. The stadium itself is overwhelmingly mediocre, much like the Mets. Just about everything in the stadium has been sold and commercialized, much like New York. I just hope that they re-certify the structural integrity of Citi Field though as I would hate to see the already emotionally scarred Mets fans face physical harm in an untimely end-of-season collapse.

4. K. Byrnes

August 17, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I was there, but not via bus trip. Well after my first trip to Citi Field, I must confess, although the Phils won, it was a little depressing. The most shocking thing to me was this…..most of the people in the stands were not wearing Met gear of any kind. Most looked like they had a nondescript polo shirt or t-shirt on. I’ve been to the Bronx, Fenway, Wrigley, and naturally, Philly. One thing all these fans had in common, bad team or not, were fans that had some kind of team shirt on. This was not the case in Citi Field. The passion was lackluster on a beautiful Saturday night against a division rival in a new stadium. The crowd was never alive during any point in the game, and a game where the Mets were never completely out of it. One of my other complaints was that it was way too confusing with all the different club levels, escalators, various access points, etc. It all seems like a vast scheme to get every last cent from the fan. Last, and perhaps not shocking, is that they sound system is pointed outwards toward the field pumping out “crowd noise”…..sad. It is a nice stadium….too heavy on the Jackie Robinson stuff (he was never a Met)…and I get the history part. The food was below average in terms of selection and quality. But I walked away a little sad from the whole experience. Just my two cents.

On the upside, from a baseball fan perspective, I thought the Met Hall of Fame and the old “Big Apple” outside were pretty cool touches.

5. cheryl

August 17, 2010 at 5:23 pm

🙂 I see you got pictures of the guys that got tossed. Not sure what the ruckus was all about, just know the guys in the light blue shirts were all from a bachelor party at the ballpark.
    Were you guys in Sec 528?

6. The Beerman