Why the Phillies WILL Make the Playoffs Again

Today, I got the opportunity to write a guest post over on Yahoo! Sports’ great baseball blog, Big League Stew. ‘Duk and the gang let me post a follow-up to yesterday’s post by Alex Remington that the Braves would make the postseason. I felt the need to back up our fair team, even though last night may not have been the perfect time (or maybe it was, who knows).

Here’s a tidbit of what I wrote:

Been There, Done That: In 2007, the Phillies fought tooth and nail until the final day of the season and made the playoffs. In 2008, they rode past the Mets in the latter stages of the season and blew through the playoffs for their first World Series title in 28 years. In 2009, another National League Championship banner was raised.

This club understands what it takes to reach the postseason and what it takes to become a winner when the check comes due. With their backs against the wall, this crew consisting of Howard, Utley, Rollins, and Werth seem to play their best baseball. September is on the doorstep, a month in which the Phils have done some damage.

In each of the past three seasons, the Phils have won 17 games in September. Offensively, there is hope.Ryan Howard is a career .314 hitter in the final month, mashing a total of 52 home runs with 141 RBI in 162 games. Halladay follows suit to end the year; his career ERA is 3.32, but in September that drops nearly a full run to 2.36.

Click here to read the rest of the “Why the Phillies will make the playoffs” on Big League Stew.

1. Pingback: Why the Phillies WILL Make the Playoffs Again « Acrylic Sports

August 31, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Nice job getting that piece on Yahoo, Pat!

I’m holding on the “law of averages” argument… Offensively, we can’t get any worse… with a full month to go, we can do this.

I said here a little over a month ago that if by Sept. 1 we were 5 games back (or less) in the dvision, that we’d have a great chance to make the playoffs. The team held down the fort during that stretch when everybody seemed to be injured, and that shows a lot of guts. This team has done it three years in a row, it’s the same guys.. I’ll believe in them until proven otherwise.

3. Andrew from Waldorf

August 31, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Good job Pat.
    If you can explain to them that having defensive positions 2b, SS hitting forward in the line up is why they are champions I will be impressed.
    They want to hit Utley and Rollins co8th in the line up.

Manny the difference between .250 and .300 over a season of 500 ABs is 25 hits. Thats about a hit a week or less. Average is by far the most over valued stat. Now a Carew or Boggs that its his specialty is something different.
    But Ruiz hitting 230 or 250 or 270 is almost cmpletely meaningless.

4. NickFromGermantown

August 31, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Off topic, but important anyway: Are you guys going to fix the comments not working on the mobile site (I can’t expand the comments section on my iPhone).

5. Andrew from Waldorf

August 31, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Tip off time for mets-Braves
    Niese vs Minor tonight.

will the Mets show signs of life tonight?
    Ill believe it when I see it

6. Andrew from Waldorf

August 31, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Beltran cant even catch a pop up anymore

the mets are the worst franchise in ANY sport

7. Brooks

August 31, 2010 at 8:14 pm

The Muts look like the Phils did when they got hits. Leaving 2 men on base.

8. Brooks

August 31, 2010 at 8:15 pm

1-0 Braves

9. Andrew from Waldorf

August 31, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I dont think I could watch the mets if i was a fan. Most of my Mets fan friends stopped watching.

10. Andrew from Waldorf

August 31, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Is wright good?

Last night I watched Wright and Davis both K 2 tmes each with runners on in the first 3 innings last night and gave up

11. Andrew from Waldorf

August 31, 2010 at 8:32 pm

bases loaded for mutts no outs
    how will they not score?

12. Andrew from Waldorf

August 31, 2010 at 8:34 pm

sac fly franceur

August 31, 2010 at 8:42 pm

My brother is a devout Muts fan. He’s given up on them this year.

Andrew, do you know Phil Wood?

August 31, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Wanted to weigh in on the Vin Scully three hour monologue. I can live with most of it, except he constantly refers to himself as “we” ????? Just wierd sounding.

15. Me

August 31, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Pat… You & the other writers here on Phillies Nation have been bashed lately (which I do not support btw), but this article was great & im glad you were able to submit an article to yahoo in response to a braves article… Keep up the great work & keep writing regardless of what others say to you

16. Brian Michael

October 11, 2010 at 1:09 am

Pat – you’re looking like a genius now.