Division: Clinched. Business: Unfinished. – Phillies Nation
2010 Game Recaps

Division: Clinched. Business: Unfinished.

Carlos Ruiz after the Phillies clinch the 2010 NL East titleI’ve always been awed by the ability of major league ballplayers to keep things in perspective. Consider Roy Halladay. Halladay signed what was then the richest contract in Phillies history in terms of annual salary, replaced a fan favorite, and, like Atlas, lifted the hopes and expectations of a city of 1.6 million on his shoulders. Tonight was his 33rd appearance of the year, and he was perhaps as stunning this evening as at any other point in his six months in red pinstripes (his perfect game in May notwithstanding). 97 pitches, 65 strikes, no walks, two hits, six strikeouts, no runs allowed. Methodical is the word that comes to mind.

Pitch no. 97 was a fading 84-mph split-fingered what-the-hell-was-that?-ball low and on the outside corner to a befuddled 23-year-old Nationals infielder named Danny Espinosa. I was sitting in Mac’s Tavern on Second and Market when that ball hit Carlos Ruiz’s glove. Mac’s is not really a sports bar, and it was only half full, but its patrons celebrated pitch no. 97 with appropriate pomp and circumstance: the Rocky theme was played, strangers were hugged, fists pumped, and high-fives exchanged. This fourth straight division title is an unprecedented occurrence for this team, so we were pretty jazzed. Imagine how Roy Halladay, a veteran of 13 major league seasons with nary a playoff appearance, must have reacted!

Methodically. Halladay, veteran of 13 major league seasons, none of them ending in playoff runs, pumped his fist, walked off the mound, and gave his catcher a peremptory hug. The eight position players on the field, seven of whom has played in a World Series in the past five years, were similarly nonplussed. Jayson Werth, whose two extra base hits and four RBIs paced a Phillies attack that methodically hung eight runs on five Washington pitchers, jogged in from right field to join the party. The ordinarily effervescent Shane Victorino couldn’t be bothered even to do that–he walked.

The fracas on the mound (if you could call it that) seemed staged, a display no one really wanted to bother with and only put on for the benefit of the TV cameras. The Phillies looked, for lack of a better word, bored with the division title. They expect to have another shot at this pitching-mound-orgy-and-champagne-shower business in a couple weeks. Considering recent events, that might be a reasonable expectation.

Here are some photos from tonight’s game courtesy of Brian:

1. Philly Texan

September 27, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Unbelievable second half by this team.

I always thought they would reach the postseason—even in the darkest days of getting shutout three in a row at Citi Field. But to do it like this—clinching the division with a week left and clinching best record—is truly stunning.

What a special group. Let’s enjoy this. Greatest era in Phillies history. And hopefully a few more celebrations to come!

Go Phils, 2010 NL East Champs!!!!

2. Chris

September 28, 2010 at 12:16 am

You wrote exactly how I felt (from my living room). It seemed like they were excited to win, but not that jump up-and-down, freak out celebration that has defined winning the NL East the past three years. I was a tad disappointed they weren’t more excited about it, but then again, they were in the play-off irregardless of the win tonight.

Though I will say, I’m looking forward to October baseball. I’m totally loving this month lately!

3. Andrew from waldorf

September 28, 2010 at 12:54 am

Clincher clincher chicken dinner. 3 more to go.

4. Andrew from waldorf

September 28, 2010 at 12:56 am

Great game to attend. Roy comes out for the 9th to clinch the Cy.
    CG SO

5. rob5000

September 28, 2010 at 1:47 am

I pose the following fan chant for subsequent Phillies games…

FOUR MORE YEARS!

6. NateB

September 28, 2010 at 2:17 am

Great post. Love the description of Halladay’s last pitch, the nonchalant celebration, and impressed that Brian took a photo of the pitch aimed at Halladay’s head when he was bunting.

September 28, 2010 at 7:12 am

Shane Victorino, when asked who was the team MVP-

“To me, the whole team has been the MVP because we’ve had so many guys step up,” Victorino said. “You look at teams that had injuries like us and where are they? They’re nowhere to be found.”

That’s what makes me so proud of these guys, instead of making excuses (like some other teams from NY and ATL) they just kept battling. Real Fightins.

To quote our friend Kate from the game threads-“Don’t stop beliephing”
    They never did.

8. bfo_33

September 28, 2010 at 7:34 am

That was a great celebration, because it looked completely staged. What little suspense that was left in the 8th was completely wiped out with the 4 runs tacked on in the top of the ninth. They almost looked embarrassed. The division is nice and all, but it looked to me to be a team that has one goal in mind – wfc 2010.

The Rays had a chance to clinch a playoff spot last night, and got 12,000 fans to the domed Trop. There looked to be more Phils phans who traveled 2+ hrs to be in Washington on a rainly, crappy night to watch us take the division. We may not be the smartest, or most politically correct, but certainly the most loyal fans in baseball. One more win, and home field advantage is ours throughout the playoffs.

9. bfo_33

September 28, 2010 at 7:36 am

It may have been rainly also, but meant rainy.

10. Mazinman

September 28, 2010 at 7:58 am

I think a hurricane could have hit Washington last night and Halladay would have still gone out in the 9th to finish it. You could tell that he just would not be denied this. If this is a preview of Playoff-Doc I feel bad for the other teams in baseball.

Well I don’t think it was 100% staged. This show belonged to Halladay, Sweeney, and Schneider who had never experienced this before. I am really proud of the other Phils who let them have that moment. It shows that the front office have built a nucleus of not only good players but good team people.

One more win and we have home field advantage throughout. Between that and Halladay, Hamels, and Oswalt I feel pretty good about our chances. Before that though, lets win these next two and then retire Bobby Cox with style!

11. Mostone

September 28, 2010 at 8:04 am

We already clinched home field advantage because we win the tie-breakers!

12. NJ

September 28, 2010 at 9:10 am

Amazing the total shift from where this team was in June when people on this board and in the baseball press felt major changes would have to come for the Phillies to sustain the teams dominance.

I am so happy for the players because they’ve gone out and they’ve played baseball, they’ve as much as possible avoided the distractions thrust upon them doubting them and they’ve put themselves in a position their primed for the play-offs, not burnt out chasing using up all of their energy.

It’s clear as maligned as this cities fans are, this is a team players want to come and play for now.

Great job

September 28, 2010 at 9:56 am

I went to last night’s game and it was special. Staying there through the rain, waiting for the Phillies to clinch, watching the Doc dominate and finish the game with less than 100 pitches. This is a special moment, and we’re all part of it.

The celebration was pretty much what I expected… this team means business and wants more!

14. Brooks

September 28, 2010 at 10:05 am

Does this mean that the Phils will have game 1 of the NLDS on Wednesday now? By tonight they should have best NL W-L record sewed up. I could not get an answer from Phillies.
    Anyone know when the announcement will be made?

15. mikemike

September 28, 2010 at 10:20 am

Back in march I picked the braves over the phillies, so I am hear to say I was wrong, am a phillies fan, just though the braves had better pitching,but the phillies proved me wrong congra again go all the way

16. branderson

September 28, 2010 at 10:27 am

what an explanation point to the Doc’s season.
    This sealed his Cy award. 8th CG and 4th SO, (I believe)

For all those worried about his last few starts being lackluster, maybe this shows he will be lights out for the playoffs.

first Phillies CY since Denny in 85!

17. Mostone

September 28, 2010 at 10:29 am

@ Brooks – I don’t know when the announcement will happen. I would guess not until the match-ups are decided and official.

18. Brooks

September 28, 2010 at 10:35 am

Yes Doc sealed it! I thought the CG count S/B at 9, the Shut outs at 4 now. Doc sealed it with class.

Regardless – his closest competition up to this point I think was Wainwright and I think I heard he might not pitch again this year.

What a way to enter into the post season.. Doc has made himself and this year into a Philly icon. This is one of those seasons to be remembered and passed on.

19. Brooks

September 28, 2010 at 10:39 am

I just got off the phone with the Phils and they said its the Phils choice which game they start off with. It looks like they will stick with game 1 on Wednesday (according to the kid I just spoke with). Doc to start.

20. Chuck

September 28, 2010 at 10:40 am

Cliff who?????????

September 28, 2010 at 11:03 am

Brooks, So that means that if we take the Wednesday game, the game four starter (Monday) could pitch on four days rest, right?

September 28, 2010 at 11:04 am

^^If we need game four.^^

23. Philly Texan

September 28, 2010 at 11:21 am

Lefty,
    they’ll take the Wed. start to the NLDS and have Thursday off. That means the Big Three can pitch all games in the series on regular rest.

24. The Dipsy

September 28, 2010 at 11:46 am

Bedrosian won the Cy in ’87. Must take the off day alternative for the playoffs. Jayson Werth…I’m proud a ya buddy. Hail fellow, well met.

The Dipsy

25. Brooks

September 28, 2010 at 11:49 am

This is what it looks like:
    NLDS
    Game 1, Oct 6th, Wednesday – Doc (day 1)
    Game 2, Oct 8th, Friday – Hamels? – Oswalt? (day 3)
    Game 3, Oct 10th, Sunday – Oswalt/Hamels (day 4)
    Game 4, Oct 11th, Monday – Doc (five day rest for Doc)
    Game 5, Oct 13th, Wednesday – Hamels (five day rest for Hamels)

It seems pretty straight forward for the NLDS, the 7 game series looks a little more like we’ll have to call upon either KK or JB or both.
    Either way, no way I fear a 7 game series. This team is built to win!

26. The Original Chuck P

September 28, 2010 at 11:49 am

The Phils, owning the best record in the NL, get to choose their start date… they would likely take Wednesday. In the event that the opposing team can’t set up their rotation (if that wild card race goes down the last day), it would give the Phillies a clear advantage in game 1. Also, it would allow them to pitch Halladay (assuming he’s the game 1 starter) on 4 days rest in game 4 (rather than 3, if they have the other series). They could go with a 3 man rotation in the NLDS without putting too much stress on their starters.

27. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 11:50 am

This is probably the best story I’ve read about the team, and shows their true character. Class, all class. http://bit.ly/aEesny

28. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 11:55 am

Tampa Bay Rays sold 12,000 tickets for a possible clinching game at home?Phillies had over 10,000 on the road in the pouring rain in DC.

29. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 12:05 pm

“For years to win the division, you had to go through Atlanta,” Nationals manager Jim Riggleman said. “Now you’ve got to go through Philadelphia.”

30. Mazinman

September 28, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Yeah, that story about Howard and Sweeney was awesome. Really proud of the big guy for how he treated a veteran player. Hopefully we can get him a ring.

I got a feeling that Oswalt will be starting Game 2. Nothing against Cole and the great job he has done but the guy has insane numbers at CBP. 10-0 in a hitter’s park. I would much rather have Oswalt pitch games 2 and 5 at CBP.

As for Doc, what else can you say about the guy at this point? I think the best part is that he is such a competitor that even if we win it all this year you know he will return next year with the same intensity and drive. Man, the first season isn’t even over yet and I already can’t wait for the sequel.

31. The Original Chuck P

September 28, 2010 at 12:35 pm

That’s a great point, Mazin… Cole is not as good at home as he is on the road. My knee-jerk was that Cole deserves to pitch in game 2 based on what he’s done this year and prior years as a Phillie (and I would not object if Charlie went that way) but Charlie’s a guy that likes to dissect the numbers and you can’t argue with the facts; Oswalt has been really good at the Bank. It doesn’t hurt either way.

It’s scary how much better we are this year than we were last year… our playoff rotation last year was Lee, Martinez, Hamels (bad Cole) and Blanton. Lidge was a trainwreck, Chan Ho was Chan Ho, Madson was iffy… our pen is still a streaky bunch but Lidge is ten fold better and Madson is definitely capable in that 8th inning role. It will be interesting to see how much Rollins plays down the stretch; he should be getting regular at bats but they’re not going to rush him back if he’s not ready, either. How much does he want to play and how hurt is he?

32. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 12:40 pm

ROLLINS WILL PLAY TODAY!

33. The Original Chuck P

September 28, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Great story, Jay.

34. The Original Chuck P

September 28, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Here’s what I think about when I read that story, Jay…

This is why guys want to play here.

Look, winning is certainly very important but these guys are great teammates and good people. Think about the humility that it takes for Howard and Co to take a back seat to guys like Sweeney and Schneider (and Halladay, although not as much)… if Howard wanted to pop the first cork, no one would disagree that he’s earned that honor. If Utley wanted to do the honor, it’s his… the celebration, as tame as it was, is very very important. The season is a grind… further, it’s not just a division title, it’s the fourth straight division title and Sween and Schneider has squaaa-dooosh to do with that… but they gave them the floor anyway. They respect the game… they love the game… and the game loves them back. They’re selfless, they’re humble, they’re driven and they’re ours… so thankphul for this team.

35. Brooks

September 28, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Between the story and your lovefest OCP, I need a game to watch –

And at the center of it is Cholly –

36. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Expect the Phillies to play Game 1 on Wednesday afternoon at CBP, around 4 p.m. Yankees will be in primetime

37. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 1:11 pm

HERE IS ANOTHER GOOD STORY- http://bit.ly/a5Sm4q

38. Chuck

September 28, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Wow….it’s a damn good thing Phillies fans didn’t panic back in July…

39. Mostone

September 28, 2010 at 1:30 pm

@Chuck – HA!

40. RichieAllen

September 28, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Never saw Doc so happy….after the game he was smiling so much his face must need therapy today.Even Chase had a stogie .
    This is a great time to be a Phils PHAN PHOR Sure.

41. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 1:51 pm

”To do what we’ve done the last four years here is a great accomplishment, and we’re well aware,” Werth said, soaking wet from head to toe. ”But there’s bigger things at stake, and we know where we want to end up.”

42. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 1:55 pm

The only thing i don’t like about the playoff’s is the day off after every game.I like it when they play 2 in a row,then have a off day.Don’t like them dragging it out!!!

43. Brooks

September 28, 2010 at 1:59 pm

the days off allow for more rest for H2O.

44. Jeff

September 28, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Staged. I do not think so. Yes, this team knows they have a bigger hill to climb but they were all very happy. Excited. You have a magic number of one and playing the Nats with a huge lead. Not like when Myers saved that big game in 07. Guys like Doc, Sweeney were excited.

45. Jeff

September 28, 2010 at 2:04 pm

let them drag so we can pitch our big three

46. Nunzio Scholeri

September 28, 2010 at 2:16 pm

You really can’t go wrong with either Hamels or Oswalt in game 2. I might pitch Hamels, partially out of respect for what he’s done for the team longer than Oswalt and even more so because that splits up the two right-handers, but I wouldn’t complain if Oswalt got game 2 either.

47. Phillistein

September 28, 2010 at 2:59 pm

“Kind of embarrassing when everyone in the stadium is clapping against you and you’re at home,” Nationals shortstop Ian Desmond said. “It’s not really where you want to be.”

48. Phan in the outfield

September 28, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Chuck – Love that comment. Hilarious.

Jay – I saw that Werth quote. Thanks for putting it here. He and Halladay won that game last night. Werth has essentially been saying this same thing in different words since ST. I have to hand it to these guys, through it all they’ve solidly maintained their heads, and they never forgot to keep up the hardwork that gets them to the goal they never lost sight of. I just find them incredibly impressive.

All during the injuries, the slump from hell, and coming back from 3rd to 1st I heard stuff from the Mets & Yankees fans (I’m in nyc). So I’d say, ‘Go ahead, laugh it up. We’ll see you in Sept.’ Now the Yankees are tanking & the Mets have been out of it for a while. Hard to believe I was actually right. I have to smile: it’s a sweet feeling to have the right to be a bad sport – but to not do it.

49. bfo_33

September 28, 2010 at 3:08 pm

My guess is that the 1st round is a 3 man rotation, CS and WS is a 4 man. While I believe the Phils are better than whichever west coast team we play (or any other team for that matter), I like Oswalt better on short rest (if it goes 5), would pitch Hamels 3.

50. Chuck

September 28, 2010 at 3:08 pm

So how about those security guys at Nats Park last night?? Were they d*ckheads after the game or what??!!

Guess our travelling fanbase roadshow was too much for them..

September 28, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Philly Texan, Brooks and OCP- thanks for helping answer my question earlier!

Jay, – the first article you posted is excellent, you need talent to get to the pinnacle of baseball, but team chemistry is very important too. You know I was already a big fan of Ryan Howard, now even more so. BTW I posted part of your second article earlier this morning – great minds think alike 🙂

Phan in the outfield- It’s a sweet feeling, it really is.

September 28, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Jayson Werth may be putting on for the press, or he maybe not.
    I think not.
    Based on his comments lately, I get the feeling he might be willing to give us a small hometown discount for nexct year. We’ll see I guess.

53. Chuck

September 28, 2010 at 3:21 pm

More from that roadshow…

September 28, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I’m with Nunzio. I prefer Hamels 2nd to break up the two righty Roys, but I’ll be happy with whatever decision we make. Oswalt has great numbers at CBP and keeping him behind Halladay might require less reshuffling (Halladay pitched yesterday, Oswalt today).

Also, if we’re playing the Padres in the NLDS, Hamels OWNS Petco Field (at least that’s my impression).. so yet another reason to potentially go Roy-Roy-Hamels.

I still think the R-L-R argument is stronger and would prefer to see Hamels pitch 2nd. Let’s see how Roy 2 performs tonight, and how Hamels handles his next start. To me, that should be the real difference maker –choose who’s hotter right before the playoffs.

55. Brooks

September 28, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Jay – who’s starting tonight?
    Dude, your late~

September 28, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Thanks for the clip Chuck.

IMO it’s not too classy though, glad I wasn’t there. We already have a bad name, do you see what the next clip is when it ends? Fan gets tasered. I hate that when I talk to my non-Philly friends all they know is the negative stuff.
    Hopefully Phan in the outfield won’t mind me borrowing his line.

“it’s a sweet feeling to have the right to be a bad sport – but to not do it.”

57. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 3:45 pm

The Hangover: Rollins 6, Ibanez 7, Utley 4, Howard 3, Francisco 8, Brown 9, Dobbs 5, Schneider 2, Oswalt 1

58. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Sry brooks….lol

59. Bacardipr05

September 28, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Ptiching save this season simple. If this offense would of have been the same offense as last year with the same pitching(pitchers) from last year…We might not be where we at……

60. bfo_33

September 28, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Roy’s start tonight is the last of H2O for the rest of the season. They may make a cameo in Atl just to loosen up, go a few innings, but they won’t be going 7 (or even 5 for that matter). After Oswalt, you’ll see Blanton, KK, Worley, and the b-team bullpen.

I don’t think there is a wrong answer in the set-up (3 man rotation in the DS, 4 man for the CS and WS), but think that if the DS goes 5, I’d rather see Oswalt on short rest than Hamels. If it goes more than 3 games, there will be back to back righties in there somewhere anyway. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

61. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Having clinched the NL East title and home field advantage throughout the playoffs, the Phillies essentially have five games to get themselves ready for the postseason. That should mean carefully-monitored work for the pitching staff, and plenty of at-bats for players who have not seen much action during the stretch run.

Tonight, Jimmy Rollins is back in the line-up for the first time since straining his hamstring on Sept. 8. He’s leading off tonight (Shane Victorino has the day off).

Ben Francisco gets the start in right field, his first start since Sept. 5. Brian Schneider, who has played in just five of the last 28 games, is behind the plate.

Domonic Brown is in the starting line-up for the first time since Sept. 6. The rookie outfielder has had just one at-bat since his last start.

62. Bacardipr05

September 28, 2010 at 4:09 pm

That aint come out right if we had this years version of offense with last years pitching…

63. Phan in the outfield

September 28, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Chuck – I heard they wouldn’t let the Phillies come back out to celebrate w/the fans. Bad form but I kind of wouldn’t expect them to allow it. The announcers weren’t thrilled about that fact that nearly 8/10ths of the slightly over 14,000 in attendance were Phillies fans. How embarrassing for them. But they made money off our fans.

I don’t have a computer at home so I don’t get to see the game threads until the next day. But I wanted to mention — JAY you said this last night and I just cried laughing: “If Werth and Utley were out past 4am in July when they were in St. louis…what are the chances they wake up naked on Abe Lincolns lap?” Brilliance, really. But unfortunately we haven’t heard anything, so I guess all was quiet.

I have to see the games on the MLB channels and have been subjected to the Gnats’ bad announcers. Every time we play them they talk about the CBPark “bandbox” & how tiny it is. They’ve also said our players get their great numbers from playing in CBPark. Dumb guys.

When JDub hit the HR early last night, Carpenter said, “I think that’s the farthest homer hit here in a while. . . ” The guy with the southern accent (played for the Reds at some point) said, “I think you’re right. Boy that hit the back seats.” They went on to talk about what a job Werth has routinely done on the Gnats’ pitchers over the past couple of yrs. Funny they didn’t remember that his numbers are fake b/c he plays in a “bandbox” and he can’t hit in other parks. That’ll teach ’em.

64. Brooks

September 28, 2010 at 4:17 pm

What a lineup! How about putting Dobbsy in the #8 spot –

65. Kate

September 28, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Something tells me Roy Oswalt is going after the Nats tonight for as long as he’s in.

A lot of stuff going on in Nationals Stadium this weekend. Doc vs Lannan, the rematch… the clincher… Citizens Bank South… Roy Oswalt returns to the scene of his only losing decision as a Phillie…

Roy’s gunning for the Nats.

66. Brooks

September 28, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Thanks Jay!

67. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Kyle Kendrick will start Friday against Atlanta, which means Hamels, Halladay or Oswalt will be skipped this weekend

68. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 4:24 pm

NP-BROOKS!

69. Chuck

September 28, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I have such a dislike for Greg Dobbs that I don’t want to see him in ANY spot. I know Cholly loves him and believes in him and that he will play some in these next five games….but seriously…..I’d rather see the bat boy in the line-up.

70. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Roy Halladay will probably not make another start this season. Kendrick goes Friday. TBA the rest of the weekend.

71. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 4:34 pm

PHAN-THAT WAS SOOO FUNNY,CANT TAKE THE CREDIT FOR IT,BECAUSE I GOT IT FROM SOMEONE ELSE,BUT HAD TO PASS ALONG TO THE NATION!

72. Bruce

September 28, 2010 at 4:39 pm

My guess is Oswalt will go 5 innings and that’s it. The “Triple Aces” will get their rest as same as the regulars prior to the playoffs. It will give Manuel a chance to have a extended look at the young pitchers such as Worley. Hopefully, Werth sits and we see Brown given a chance to play and get to know the opposing pitchers and their repertory of pitches. It’s good preparation for Brown when he takes the vacated spot in RF next season.

73. Andrew from waldorf

September 28, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Going again tonight. Guess I am post season form too.
    Was a real pleasure to see Roy up close and personal. Now tonight the other Roy. Seats arent as good but since only 10,000 people will show up maybe I will be able to move up.

74. Phan in the outfield

September 28, 2010 at 5:04 pm

JAY – Nevermind, that was flatout HILARIOUS. The image was enough to make me laugh out loud at work. It also conjured the blurry foto I saw of them on Twitter (which I never go on) at some blackjack table or whatever in St. Louis @ 4am in July, the buttheads.

Andrew – Knock ’em dead, baby! SAY HEY! from all the Phillies Phans stuck up here in NYC!! And my guess is your seat # won’t matter much. You’ll be able to move around at will. Heh heh. Have fun.

Lefty – Sorry bud, feel free to use it, bruthah! You are more than welcome.

Chuck & I have been saying all along we thought Werth wanted to stay enough to give a hometown disc (whatever that could mean). But that was early in the season. Money’s been spent since then, Amaro’s said things to the papers, and the FO has seemed willing to keep and/or acquire anyone & everyone but Werth. From Werth’s vantage point it might seem like a generalized ‘dissing’.

If he still does honestly want to stay (he may feel more strongly depending on how far they go & whether or not they win it all) then he might have to control Boras and make sure he knows exactly what he wants — don’t leave the table until it happens — kind of thing. You know.

It doesn’t have to be a heinous thing that Boras is hired. I’d prefer he wasn’t but… Personally I feel he’s a plague on sports in gen. But he IS Madson’s & Brown’s agent too. So obviously we’re going to pay for RF NOW or LATER, Brown won’t be cheap long. Frankly I’d rather keep JDub, platoon Brown w/Ibanez, letting him learn, then let him take LF when Rauuuul leaves. I know — in an ideal world….

75. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 5:04 pm

HAVE FUN ANDREW,YOU GET TO SEE OUR FUTURE PLAY(BROWN IS STARTING!)

76. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 5:31 pm

The Phillies have NEVER finished with the best record in #MLB going all the way back to 1903. They have a chance in 2010

77. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Has anyone been able to answer this question yet: Where was Oswalt during the celebrations last night?

78. Chuck

September 28, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Oswalt’s starting tonight….so why would he be celebrating last night??

Intense starting pitchers in the mold of Roy Oswalt take their next day starts so seriously and have such a routine that NOTHING…even a celebration…will de-rail them.

79. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Shane Victorino will leave the team Thursday for Las Vegas to be with his wife, Melissa, who is pregnant with the couple’s third child. Victorino said he expects to miss Friday’s game in Atlanta.

80. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 28, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I GUESS YOUR RIGHT CHUCK,BUT WAS FUNNY YOU DID NOT SEE HIM IN ANY PICTURES……………

81. Chuck

September 28, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I would imagine that Oswalt “celebrated” in his own way….but decided to stay out of the spotlight. I’m ok with that.

And speaking of celebrations….I hope the Phillies are careful with all these clubhouse parties at each level throughout the playoffs. I can see blowing off some steam with winning the division…..because of where they came from to do it…

But now it should be “let’s get down to business” and keep things subdued until the final prize is theirs.