Oswalt is magical once again, Phils win 9-1 over Nats – Phillies Nation
2010 Game Recaps

Oswalt is magical once again, Phils win 9-1 over Nats

When the Phillies sent JA Happ packing for Houston many Phillies fans, including myself, thought it might come back to haunt Philadelphia.  Up to this point, Rube looks to be spot on.  Roy Oswalt (13-13, 2.90 ERA) earned his seventh straight win for the Phillies going six innings and allowing just one run.  In his 10 starts since coming over from Houston, the Phillies are 9-1.

The Phillies didn’t wait long tonight to get the scoring going.  Jason Marquis started the game off getting Shane Victorino out.  I have nothing good left to say about Marquis’ outing.  It lasted only one third of the first inning.  By the time he took his spot in the dugout he was charged with six runs and six hits.

Placido Polanco started it in the first hitting a single to center.  After Chase Utley walked, Ryan Howard singled to load the bases.  Jayson Werth added an infield single scoring Polanco and moving the runners up.  Three more singles by Raul Ibanez, Wilson Valdez and Roy Oswalt added four more runs.  The final run of the first came on a fielder’s choice by Shane Victorino.

That was all Oswalt needed.  He struck out seven Nationals while throwing 97 pitches.  Oswalt’s start was moved up a day to allow for the big three of Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels and Oswalt to throw against the Braves starting Monday.  This move will also line them up to pitch the final series against Atlanta to end the season.

The Phillies still have a three game lead over the Braves in the NL East who kept pace by beating the Mets tonight.  Kyle Kendrick will take Oswalt’s place tomorrow on the mound.

1. Andrew from waldorf

September 18, 2010 at 12:08 am

Braves elimination number is at 12

Lets deal tomorrow KK

2. Pingback: Oswalt is magical once again, Phils win 9-1 over Nats « Acrylic Sports

3. bacardipr05

September 18, 2010 at 12:51 am

I dont expect much help from the Mets…maybe 1 and thats a maybe…We on a row…we need the good Kyle to come out and play tomorrow

4. Bart Shart

September 18, 2010 at 3:10 am

Oh crap !!!! Kyle kendrick again……………

5. Brooks

September 18, 2010 at 3:51 am

Did anyone go to the opener down in DC? There are (or maybe they took them down) huge posters of Marquis as a ‘Game Changer’ – what a joke.

6. jeff of Nova

September 18, 2010 at 8:37 am

Come on Brooks, they need to have someone up there to sell tickets.. Marquis was brought in as a big upgrade signing….. sadly he has turned out to be Adam Eaton for them

7. Brooks

September 18, 2010 at 8:42 am

Adam Eaton kept his ERA in the single digits!

8. Kate

September 18, 2010 at 9:44 am

I think a three-game lead (even with Atlanta playing New York) gave Charlie just enough rope to give Kendrick another one last chance. I hope Kyle does well. He seems like he’s probably a decent guy. If Kendrick blows it, we’re still at least one game up.

I’m not entirely comfortable with Kendrick on the mound, but Cheeseburger’s been solid of late, so I can understand the logic. It’ll work out or it won’t work out. Let’s see where the cards fall.

9. Bart Shart

September 18, 2010 at 10:54 am

My gut tells me that Kendrick will stink. I hope I am wrong.

10. biz

September 18, 2010 at 11:58 am

There was a time this season, when I felt that Kyle could go out and pitch 7 strong innings. Unfortunately, that was months ago. He has shown he’s not up to it anymore. His last start was serviceable, but 5 innings just isn’t enough.

Fortunately, our bats are hot and Washington isn’t sending out a Japanese knuckler. Hopefully our boys keep hitting.

11. pheeling it

September 18, 2010 at 12:39 pm

We turned Oswalt from 6-12 to 13-13 in ten starts. He could be a twenty game winner if he was on our team all year. 2011 will be even more exciting.

Can everybody please do me a favor? When you go to the game, someone start a WE LOVE WERTH or LETS GO JAYSON chant. We need to remind him that this his is home.

I love Jayson Werth, we all know he is a crucial part of this club, maybe even more than Burrell was. There’s no reason to not pay him some money, he is a PHILLIE! I know we have to many overpaid players but who really cares? Never an empty seat I know this team is getting serious money, we need to keep this lineup with H2O next 2 seasons, everybody is locked and and it’s time Jayson got locked in.

LETS GO JAYSON!

12. pheeling it

September 18, 2010 at 12:42 pm

And we know Jayson will get paid from the playoffs anyway, not the season. Last October he went off the charts, he’s turning in on at the right time again.

13. pheeling it

September 18, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Very please we locked in Shane and Carlos last off season too. I’m even happy we locked in Blanton because that’s one hell of a 4th starter. I hope the farm produces us a new Kyle Kendrick, but I think him and Jaime Moyer can fight it out for 5th starter. It makes the 5th game interesting, and I love Moyer

14. Andrew from waldorf

September 18, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Agree Pheeling.
    Hes gone no matter if he hits or slumps. If he hits it just means another team has to pay more for him.
    GO JAYSON

Kendrick will be fine. Phils figure to (possibly) lose one of next 2 anyway then finish off the Braves in the 3 games after that.

The Phils have 3 more wins than anyone in the NL. Best record in the NL. Which is what they are really fighting for seems to be in good shape.

Colorado and SF I think are the 2 teams from the west. SD seems to be running out of gas (like the braves).

15. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 18, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I was reading another blog and it saId that ruiz has been worth 14.7 million this year!!!!!!It is awesome that we signed him for 3-years at 9 million……WHAT A STEAL!!!!!!!

16. Andrew from waldorf

September 18, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Ruiz is the MVP
    He isnt going to get paid because people pay for offense and home runs.
    Howard puts fannies in the seats while Ruiz wins games.

Its a steal but its not a steal. I suppose after this year he could have gotten 5 or 6 million for a year or 2. But his value on another team probably isnt as great as it is here.

17. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 18, 2010 at 1:41 pm

AND KATE-JUST TO MAKE YOU FEEL A LITTLE BETTER,IF KK BLOWS IT WE WILL STILL BE UP 2 GAMES 🙂

18. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 18, 2010 at 1:44 pm

YEA ANDREW ITS A STEAL BECAUSE HE IS WORTH SO MUCH MORE!!!!!!!

19. BravoMan

September 18, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Hopefully this link works on here and if it does than you Philly fans that say y’all aren’t some of the most bandwagon fans in baseball, this should help clear that up. It also shows the Atlanta Braves have more fans other than the Yankees and Red Sox. Keep talking smack about attendance at Turner Field and I’ll just tell you to worry about cleaning up that disgusting city of Philly and quit worrying about Atlanta baseball attendance. Like I said, I hope this link works. Most of you probably can’t process something as strategic as this article, but at least I tried.

20. betasigmadeltashag

September 18, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Nice to see you Bravoman I thought for sure you would not show up again. It gives you more credence that you came back now. I am not sure what that link was to. Your Braves did well last night 6 unearned runs is all you could muster against the Mutts
    It was nice to see Charlie take Roy 2 out after 6 innings, a little confidence for the pen and save a some pitches in Roy’s arm. I think KK can go 6 giving up 3-5 which will keep the Phillies in the game and that is all you can expect from a 5th starter. The offense seems to be on track and I can see Ryan going off tonight.

21. BravoMan

September 18, 2010 at 2:09 pm

CHECK out that graph at the bottom of that article. The Braves have been higher among adult fans interest than the Phillies have been even through these last 4 years of playof-less baseball. Interestingly enough, the Phillies “fans” seemed to grow an interest starting in 2008. Hmmm, was that because they eactually started winning the previous year in ’07? Uh, yeah, I think so. Anyways, keep talking sh** Philly “fans”. The truth is out there, but of course none of you are willing to look up the facts. BANDWAGON CITY OF PHILLY!

22. Andrew from waldorf

September 18, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Seriously
    If you have diagnosed mental issues or deficiencies let us know so we can “understand” you better.
    Its not fun making fun of the mentally challenged.

23. BravoMan

September 18, 2010 at 2:13 pm

betajogshf34uoi, or whatever your blog name is…. the post of mine above yours should work for you. That’s if you care to look at the facts and not a fantasy world.

Hey, I give credit to the Phillies. They are red hot! They’re a very good ball club. It isn’t against the team itself. But, I have no respect for the fans, especially the ones covering the Braves blogs bragging on and on and dissing the Braves and their attendance at Turner Field. Guys, you’re bandwagon fans and as soon as that ship stalls, y’all are OUT.

24. BravoMan

September 18, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Andrew, you’re a freakin idiot. What is “mentally challenged” about posting an article that states exactly what so many people say about the fans of Philly? Seriously, what? Sorry if y’all like puking on officers and getting tasered by rent-a-cops. Me and most all other normal baseball fans like to enjoy the game of baseball and not be belligerent drunks out on public.

Stay classy Philly…..

September 18, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Well supported sample poll Bravoturd. 2,227 people surveyed is hardly a reasonable sample. There are over 307,000,000 people in th US. Your sample poll is .000007% of the population. What about the other 306,997,773? Less than one onehundred thousandth of one percent? Very scientific post Forrest.

2,227 sounds more like the average attendance at Truner field for a Braves game.

26. Andrew from waldorf

September 18, 2010 at 2:22 pm

@ lefty
    you read his ramblings? You are too kind my friend.
    This is one of those guys you meet on the street and say to yourself. How does he even get dressed in the morning or feed himself?
    Somoneone must help him at the group home or facility where he lives. I don’t understand how even logs onto this site.

27. BravoMan

September 18, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Lefty, what about the waste land that was Vetran Stadium and even CBP when it first opened? You mean to tell me all those Philly fans just happend to fill up the park around ’07 to now because the economy happend to get better all the sudden? Come on, Philly is a bandwagon paradise. It seems to be the “it” thing to do around there.

September 18, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Veteran, or as you write Vetran stadium held 65,000 fans for home games. CBP only 45,000. CBP is a much better – incredible baseball experience, for children and adults alike. If you could actually read you will see that the park actually drew more fans in 2004 than 2007. But that is not the point, what’s important is that all ball parks draw better when their team is better, you don’t have to be a bandwagon city for that. Here’s proof

29. Brooks

September 18, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Spicey Andrew, nice job.

Bravobub, what is your point? Whenever baseball teams start to do well, they draw more attendance. The Phils have been drawing pretty decently then selling out since 2002. The fact of the matter is that the Braves are in the middle of a pennant race and cannot fill the stadium at all. The Phils, while they were in third place this year and slumping terribly were in the midst of this current sold out streak – the team was playing so poorly offensively, I believe they were 7 games out of first place and CBP was still packed.

You have no legs to stand on. There will always be people who jump on the bus when their teams do well but where are the Braves fans during this hot race? Or should I use past tense..

September 18, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Andrew,
    I have been reading his ramblings of late for a reason.

I now believe that Bravoturd is not who anyone thinks he is, I think he’s a poser. I’ve been taking note of his writing style, and the wording he uses (example CBP instead of Citizens Bank Park) and believe him to be a regular poster on this board. I don’t know how he gets away with it, maybe he’s using a different email or IP address to post as two different people. I never had the desire to be a troll so I don’t know how it’s done. I have no imperical evidence so I won’t make a public assertion, that wouldn’t be fair. But I am now 65% sure, and that number grows as time goes on.

September 18, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Bravotu-rd I answered you but my comment is awaiting moderation. I don’t know why, hopefully it will be allowed.

32. Andrew from waldorf

September 18, 2010 at 2:57 pm

@ lefty
    Wow. How sad is that?
    To do something like that would never cross my mind. Why bother? So I didnt think about that.

But regardless its a troll no matter who is doing it. Phillies fan or Braves fan or just a sad soul.

I just wish hed be a little more interesting.

Braves play at 4 on national TV today vs the Mets. What a showcase for our great sport. Not.

33. Andrew from waldorf

September 18, 2010 at 2:58 pm

The awaiting moderation is weird
    if you type the name of tomorrows Mets starter you get that

R A

d I C …….

34. bostonkate

September 18, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Oh my god bravoman is back!!! Has anyone else noticed how boring and rather unintelligent he/she/its posts are?

Go away troll.

35. Brooks

September 18, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Quite an assumption Lefty, probably spot on too but, I do believe I’d rather mow the grass in the rain than read his ramblings.

September 18, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I was very sad when it first struck me. I better not say anymore, I already have one comment awaiting moderation. I like you good folks in here and don’t want to be banned for this.

37. BravoMan

September 18, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Lefty, nope. I’m a Braves fan. You don’t need to go beyond that.

Well, we have one legit slugger on our team and the great Hall Of Fame manager keeps hitting him in the 2 spot. Heyward should be hitting 3rd or cleanup, but stubborn old men don’t see it that way. We have an overweight catcher who can barely see and our #3 hitter has a finger he can hardly bend.

Be glad y’all don’t have this problem with the Phillies. They have 3 or 4 guys who could hit cleanup and produce.

September 18, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Brooksy, You are right, I’m going to heed that advice and ignore “it” from now on.

But the comment I made that is not showing up, is almost exactly what your response to him was, that all teams draw better when they play better.

September 18, 2010 at 3:10 pm

now I’m 70% sure, final word on the subject.

40. biz

September 18, 2010 at 3:13 pm

A Braves fan lecture us about our “fandom”? LMAO. Dude, when you guys can get more than 18K in PAID, yes, PAID attendance for a game when you are in a pennant race, then you can lecture us.

The Ted is a ghost town. You guys are pathetic.

41. biz

September 18, 2010 at 3:17 pm

_______

Only on a Saturday night….

42. Brooks

September 18, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Time to start getting ready for tonight’s game. Here’s hoping for some long balls, at least one great outfield assist, terrific defense, some stolen bases and a relatively close game would be great. Oh yes, in case there is any question, a Phils win. Note I’m not pushing too hard, I did not ask for a great pitching performance – a big save would be very cool though.

Perfect evening for baseball (Kendrick or not!) at the park!

43. BravoMan

September 18, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I love the movie Rocky. Probably my favorite movie of all time. Even the sequals were ok. But, he’s a boxer from Philly. The city is represented in a negative light, imo. Idiots and drunks in a bad mood all the time. The streets look bad in the 70’s full of trash and even the air looks dirty. Man, I can’t imagine how it looks now in 2010. Anybody want to tell me how the streets of Philly look these days? How’s the mood there?

Steve, this guy I used to work with was from Philly and the guy was abnoxious and loud. We actually became pretty good friends after the fall out he and I had. He told me all of us act like this. “This” meaning obnoxious and silly. At least he’s honest.

44. BravoMan

September 18, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Even Taylor Swift wants to be a southerner. A girl from PA wants to be southern so bad that she even alters her accent at times. Not that I pay much attention to Taylor Swift, but I did catch her on a talk show a few weeks back. Now that’s halarious.

45. biz

September 18, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Hey BravoMan, IT’S A MOVIE! lol

I knew you southerners were stupid, but this is ridiculous.

46. BravoMan

September 18, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Agreed that Atlanta is a sorry baseball town. Even Chipper Jones has said as much. Not in those words, but it’s bad that he has to shoot a video clip and urge fans to come out and support the team for this little playoff push they’re on. I don’t know why that is exactly, but the jerk offs that do sports radio, etc. in Atlanta overwhelm the city with college football talk and the Braves are secondary. And not to sound racist, but it has a very large black population and most of them are naturally into basketball and football being raised in the south.

47. BravoMan

September 18, 2010 at 3:53 pm

biz, don’t you think Sly did at least a tad bit of research writing the movie? Don’t you think he picked up on some of the things Philly people do and act like before shooting the film?

48. biz

September 18, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Wow. Just, Wow.

49. Brooks

September 18, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Anybody, and I do mean anyone who attempts to “pigeon-hole” people because of where they live, the color of their skin or faith or gender automatically is an idiot (is that “pigeon-holing”?). To ASS-ume the movie Rocky does anything to depict the populous of this great city has an issue to begin with and probably has a limited scope on reality.

Get a grip Bravobub – grow up.

50. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 18, 2010 at 4:00 pm

GUYS I HAVE BEEN SAYING FOR A LOOOOONG TIME BRAVOMAN IS A FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!ITS SO OBVIOUS………..

51. Andrew from waldorf

September 18, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Hes irrelevant one way or the other.
    But as a southerner. And yes southern maryland is south of the mason dixon line I dont think they are all dumb. The south has the nicest people in the world actually. Maybe they dont attend baseball and arent that passionate but they are good people. Id rather live in the south the hectic life of the northeast. Living 15 minutes from DC and having seen Pearl Jam all over north america I have a unique perspective. Id want to goto a concert or see a game in phlly above any place in the world. But to live every day. Ill take the slow nice friendly pace of the south.

52. Andrew from waldorf

September 18, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Atl already up 1-0
    But that too is irrelevant.
    I guess we should consider them for the WC though. But I still see them as the longest shot left on the board.

53. Andrew from waldorf

September 18, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Colorado up 2-0 in first Tulowitski 2 run bomb.
    His 13th of the month
    Yes the Rockies are playing better than even the Phillies.
    Look out NL

54. BravoMan

September 18, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Andrew, I agree 100% about that Rockies team. They’re dangerous. Tulo is doing what fat boy McCann should be doing for us and that’s being a leader and helping to carry his team in a playoff race. Like Howard does for the Phillies. Nope, not our fat cleanup hitter. He just swings at changeups outside the K zone on the first pitch for outs. But I’m not annoyed or anything. Alex Gonzalez has the “swing at the first pitch from a rookie on the ropes” himself. But, I’m not mad.

September 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Rox are clearly a better club than Ratlanta

56. Brooks

September 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Easy Andrew – the Rockies are stepping up but not playing better.

My point is take it easy and enjoy – the Rockies are not playing better than the Phillies right now. The Phillies are 13-3 for the month, Rockies are 12-4. Rockies in this past week are 3-2, including losing a series to the team they have to beat. They scored 30 runs, allowing 26. The Good Guys on the other hand are 5-0 on this current homestand scoring 32 runs while giving up 11. There is the difference. Pitching.

Sure, Tulowitski is having a mammoth September – terrific but the Phils pitchers got this. See Red my friend.

57. Brooks

September 18, 2010 at 5:00 pm

The Phils have 6 “tough” games left, all vs Atlanta. The Rockies play a very big series at home vs the Giants at the end of the week and finish the season away for a 4 games series vs the Cardinals. That’s a tough schedule. Cardinals are so unpredictable – and the Giants are playing like they are fighting for their playoff lives as well.

58. Andrew from waldorf

September 18, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Oh I am enjoying.
    I dont want any part of Colorado. Especially in a 5 game series.

Colorado is 21-6 last 27. Coming from burried in the standings. Where it seemed hopeless.
    With Ubaldo not even really being a factor.
    This team is on fire. I would rather play the Yankees then them.
    Would suck to have best record in NL and draw them.

Would suck if the 2 best teams in MLB played in a 5 game series to open the playoffs. But yes Id favor the Phils in said series.

59. Andrew from waldorf

September 18, 2010 at 5:12 pm

At this point I am not considering opponents.
    She braves arent a strong opponent at his point in my opinion.
    SF is.

On augiust 21st the Rockies were 62-60 11 back in the division and 7 in the wild card. The same record as the Dodgers and Marlins and virtually the same as the hapless Mets.

What they have done since aug 21 is the most impressive in baseball. This is the hottest team in baseball. Certainly not the most talented though.

60. biz

September 18, 2010 at 5:32 pm

For as “hot” as the Rox are, they’re still chasing a few teams for the WC. They aren’t a lock to see the post season. They have to keep this pace and hope both the teams that they are trailing don’t pick it up.

Like I said before, the hole they dug may be too deep. Time will tell.

61. Andrew from waldorf

September 18, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Tuluwitzski homered again.
    I am not rooting for colorado as much as just saying.
    Danger Danger.
    And thank god we did beat them that 1 game we could.

62. biz

September 18, 2010 at 5:46 pm

We beat them in their park at their game.

Phillies > Rockies

63. bacardipr05

September 18, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I hope Kyle does a decent job. He seems like a good guy. He is a Jamie Moyer type of pitcher doesnt over power doesnt have a good strike out. He lives on painting the corners and control. I feel he is just that a fifth starter. However maybe some minor improvements will make a good fifth starter. I just dont know if he can improve any at this point. His role might be better as a fill in guy a sixth starter sorta to speak. Do you go with him or Worley into the playoffs. We havent seen much of Worley and neither has any opposing teams. This will be a tough decision for Cholly/RAJ.

64. BravoMan

September 18, 2010 at 6:32 pm

The Braves just took a 2 run lead on a Mclouth homer. They seem to have gotten their swagger back. We’re coming around again, just in time for the big Phillies series. I think we win that series.

65. biz

September 18, 2010 at 6:35 pm

You’re playing the Mets, moron.

Let’s see that swagger verses Halladay, Hamels and Oswalt.

66. BravoMan

September 18, 2010 at 6:44 pm

biz, you’re getting worried. Wait until we come to town to win that series. We WILL take that series. We’ve always hit Oswalt well and Hamels hasn’t exactly been dominant against us either.

Oh, and 6 ft 4 in and 215 lbs says you wouldn’t call me a moron to my face. That I can guarantee.

67. BravoMan

September 18, 2010 at 6:46 pm

BRAVES WIN!

68. BravoMan

September 18, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Later losers!

69. biz

September 18, 2010 at 6:53 pm

215lbs? That’s it? You’re a string bean.

I can guarantee I’d call you that and you wouldn’t do a thing about it, internet spartan.