2010 Game Recaps

Phillies bats hit snooze, don't wake up in time

The big decision going into tonight’s game against the Mets was whether or not to let Kyle Kendrick pitch in his spot of the rotation. Charlie Manuel could have gone with Vance Worley. Worley pitched in Kendrick’s spot for game one of a double header against the Marlins on September 6 taking the loss after allowing two runs in five innings.

But as we all know, Manuel went with Kendrick. And like Worley did against the Marlins, KK went five innings and allowed two runs while only throwing 64 pitches. Kendrick didn’t pitch badly. He stayed within his usual game plan. His one big mistake was the solo home run he gave up to Jose Reyes.

On the other side of the diamond, Mets pitcher Mike Pelfrey only allowed four hits through the first seven innings. In a typical Jerry Manuel-head scratcher kind of way, the manager brought Pelfrey out to start the eighth. Now you can hold Phillies’ bats down, but usually not for long. The Phillies put together a string of hits and quality at bats and went on to score three runs in the inning off Pelfrey and Bobby Parnell.

The ninth inning also looked promising with Mike Sweeney hitting a double and moving to third on a Wilson Valdez ground out. However, Carlos Ruiz grounded out to end the game 4-3 in favor of the Mets.

This game had some interesting scenarios play out. Ole Charlie had Jose Contreras intentionally walk David Wright to load the bases and allowed JC Romero to pitch to Ike Davis, who was already 3 for 3 in the game. As you guessed, Davis hits a two RBI single to increase the lead to 4-0. If Contreras actually pitches to Wright, maybe he gets the out and the Phillies escape the inning still only down 2-0. If.

Injury update: Jimmy Rollins was again out of the lineup and Manuel said there is no guarantee he will play Sunday.

1. Andrew from waldorf

September 11, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Braves won
    Tied for NL east lead

September 11, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Jeltz for Werth after that nice throw to the plate.

You guys are tough- LOL

3. Pingback: Phillies bats hit snooze, don’t wake up in time « Acrylic Sports

September 11, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Andrew did you hear the comment McCarver made after the throw by Werth? It made me laugh. You can see it on MLB game highlights.

5. Andrew from waldorf

September 11, 2010 at 8:33 pm

No i didnt get the game
    no mccarver
    ill look for it

September 11, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I didn’t go to Newark, family obligations. But will next time this happens. I thought they got a Baltimore feed, but I read your post yesterday. I have a friend at Univ Delaware that told me they love watching Flacco play for the Ravens, guess that’s why I thought they get Baltimore stations.

7. Andrew from waldorf

September 11, 2010 at 8:43 pm

That was a nice play by schnieder. Tim would know. It was a skinner.
    He knows everything. He will explain it to you if you ask him.

8. BravoMan

September 11, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Andrew, but I thought you said the Braves were done? I thought you said we’re in the rear view mirror from here on out? You said we suck. That we’re just lucky.

Yeah, that Andrew. He seems to know it all. LOL!

9. BravoMan

September 11, 2010 at 8:49 pm

You know what’s funny is that y’all really do believe you’re superior to the Braves and any team in the league. The Phillies have as many, of not more, warts than all the other contenders.

A bullpen is very, very important as y’all should know by now. Say what you want about the Phillies offense the last few years, but when Lidge, Romero and Madson were all healthy and going strong is when they won it all. I wouldn’t trust the pen they got now for anything. It WILL be the demise of that ball club. You wait and see.

10. BravoMan

September 11, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Andrew? YOOOO-HOOOO?? Where are you Andrew? Tell everybody about you’re little prediction the other day (everyday, actually) that my Braves are done. Yet here they are tied up with your team. You were so convinced that we were history. Nothing else needed to be said. I just want you to come clean and admit you made a boo boo.

September 11, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I knew I saw this somewhere, just couldn’t remember where. I guess you’re saying the deadline passed without closure.

12. jeff

September 11, 2010 at 9:03 pm

BravoMan shut the fu up you mother fu. Go the f away. Yes the phillies just lost to the worst team in baseball. there offense took a nose dive again. atleast we do not sleep with our family members.

13. BravoMan

September 11, 2010 at 9:11 pm

jeff, does Charlie Manuel sleep with his family members? You do realize it doesn’t get any more country than him. You know, the guy that manages the Phillies?

Now go roam those Philly streets, but just watch out for all the trash you’ll certainly step on though. Don’t need to break a leg.

14. BravoMan

September 11, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Only good thing that came out of Philly was Rocky. Matter of fact, I’m going to go watch that movie. Favorite movie ever.

15. Andrew from waldorf

September 11, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Regarding RCR there is a liquidation thing this monday
    Will know alot more then. I cant get into specifics but I am optimistic about racing again. If it happens maybe some of the DC people can meet up one night and bet the ponies. thats a long way off though.
    the track is closed now. the TVs are gone etc etc. Whoever gets it is gonna have to invest in it.

16. Bart Shart

September 11, 2010 at 10:21 pm

BravoMan…… you embody a sad commentary on American life. Here you are living in Tennessee and on a Saturday night you have nothing better to do than to hector Phillies fans. Do you have a disability that keeps you inside? If so, then I do indeed understand your entertainment. But if you are not physicallyt disabled, then you are a fellow in need of psychological help. Perhaps you are just sick in the head over baseball, or you could be suffering from something much deeper. I really feel bad for you. Do you have any friends at all? Or are you some poor sick pimple-faced high schooler getting along as best you can on the blogs?

17. David

September 11, 2010 at 11:42 pm

I didn’t agree with the intentional walk to Wright. I think Contreras/Wright is at least as good a matchup as Romero/Davis from the Phillies perspective. And, Romero has sometimes had trouble throwing strikes. If Contreras got 3-1 to Wright, he doesn’t have the pressure to throw a strike. Romero was in a situation where he had to get a strike when he got behind Davis.

Other issue is if Howard is on 1st in the 8th inning and is the tying run, I would go for a pinchrunner because you could have stayed with Gload at 1st base.

18. Scott in D.C.

September 12, 2010 at 12:02 am

Romero should never be brought out for a high-pressure situational match-up — ever. Period. It was a dumb move that had predictably bad consequences. … I don’t want the guy on the postseason roster, either.

19. mary

September 12, 2010 at 12:16 am

romero is terrible my does charlie continue to use him?i have zero trust in mr steroid romero that double by sweeney is a home run in just about every ballpark except that place the mets call a ball park it’s gotta suck playing all your games at that place.

20. Andrew from waldorf

September 12, 2010 at 1:17 am

He uses Romero because thats how charlie is. He still uses Dobbs to pinch hit. With all those guys sitting over there. Romero will be on the roster are there other lefties. Heres the sad thing. I bet Dobbs is on the post season roster. Thats senseless.

You do have to feel sorr for him. Its not even his team. Hard to imagine.

21. bacardipr05

September 12, 2010 at 1:23 am

Andrew I agree with you….although Bravoman pisses people off he has some points…we just dont have many options on our bullpen…dont throw stats its just that simple after Madson its a crap shot really seriously..take them foggy glasses off people…Durbin hasnt been that great recently either…Dobber needs to go i rather have Cole come in an pinch hit…

22. Andrew from waldorf

September 12, 2010 at 2:10 am

Madson is getting close to that way over worked range. Pitching in 12 of last 15 days. And one of those days was an off day.
    I really dont want to ruin a good thing. He looked shaky to me friday. I couldnt see sat but I saw 10 of 16 were balls. When you appear in 80%+ of games you are gonna lose some effectiveness.

He has pitched this much in what the last 20 days?

august 22,23,24,27,28,29,31
    sept 1,3,4,6,7,8,10,11

Of course he will get hit around now and people will say he sucks but I wont. He should only be used in games the phillies are leading by 3 or less and its the 8th or 9th inning from here on out.
    Why ruin your best reliever?

23. bacardipr05

September 12, 2010 at 4:31 am

Agreed Andrew the race to catch keep up with the dam freaking Braves is the reason he is been over worked…not even the Cards cold help us out here…race may be decided by 2 games or less….

24. Brooks

September 12, 2010 at 7:42 am

Madson pitching again – his ERA is now down to a season low 2.58 as he is doing everything you would expect from him but, sooner or later he is going to melt from overuse. He did not look that sharp yesterday but I’m sure someone is looking at the bottom line – what has he been doing lately.

Doesn’t Cholly or Rich Dubee understand that this guy, like any other human in that situation, will eventually peter out??

I see that Werth got the Jeltz and I don’t disagree. But there’s no explanation. It would help if we knew why a player is lauded or loathed.

25. George

September 12, 2010 at 9:00 am

So, who should the Phils use instead of the tired relievers Madson and Durbin? Everyone seems to hate Romero, Contreras had already been used earlier, and Lidge is the freakin’ closer. That leaves, by my reckoning, Baez, who is also hated by everyone, Bastardo and his 5.-something ERA, Mathieson (oh, wait! He’s on the DL), and the questionable rookie, Herndon.

Whether their arms fall off or not, Madson and Durbin are just going to have to continue, because they’re the ones doing a good job right now. We’ll just have to hope that even with Ruiz throwing an arm as well as the ball back to the mound after every pitch, they can still get the job done, or that the offense will put up enough runs to win while using the losers of the pen.

September 12, 2010 at 10:02 am

George, that’s an excellent post, I hadn’t thought of it that way before.

In yesterday’s game he could have left KK in longer, and that would have helped. KK let up 2 runs,on 5 hits in 5 innings, that isn’t great but not terrible either.

Bastardo/Contreras/Baez/Herndon/Romero- each of them have had moments this year, but none of them are dependable day in day out. IMO all we have is Durbin/Madson/Lidge, and they can’t be expected to pitch perfect ball every time either.

Someone has to get worn out, so why not ask your excellent starters for one extra inning- 110 pitches instead of 100 – or 120 instead of 110. All three studs would be more than willing. Doc never wants to come out.

There is no reason to have fresh starting arms in the postseason, IF YOU DON’T MAKE IT to the postseason. They can either relax and play golf with fresh arms, or pitch in the playoffs with tired arms. Which would they prefer? Which would we prefer? It seems to me that’s our only option right now.

27. George

September 12, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Most of the starters lately have been throwing a lot of pitches, usually a little more than 110. I’ll except Kendrick; last night the Phils really did need more runs. When a pitcher is up to 110 in the seventh or eighth, you can’t always expect him to get through another inning on ten pitches. 120 might not be too bad, but 124 is asking for trouble, except maybe in the case of Halladay. It’s no good to have worn out relievers, but worn out starters would be worse, because then you’d be using all those tired relievers even more.

My hope is for the offense to put up enough runs to make setup men and closers superfluous. With a five run lead, you can use the Herndons, Bastardos, and Romeros and probably still win.