2010 Game Recaps

Phillies Do Yard-work in Florida, Use Homers for 11-4 Win

The Phillies decided when getting to the ballpark in South Florida today that they would give all 1,200 of the fans in attendance a show. And they did not disappoint. Led by the ice cream man himself, Carlos Ruiz collected three hits, including a home run, and four RBIs. His four RBIs tied a career high for the Phillies’ catcher. Not letting the Chooch stand alone Chase Utley, Jayson Werth and Greg Dobbs all added solo shots as part of the 15 hit barrage.

Knocking around 15 hits and scoring 11 runs was all Joe Blanton needed. Blanton went six innings allowing only one run and struck out eight. He did lower his ERA to 5.00, his lowest since early May.

Ryan Howard reached the 100 RBI mark for the fifth straight season. He is only the fourth Phillie to have at least five seasons of 100 RBIs joining the likes of Mike Schmidt, Del Ennis, and Chuck Klein. Klein is the only other to do in in five straight seasons. It was also the sixth straight game in which Howard has collected an RBI. He has 11 over that span.

With 17 games left in the season, the Phillies will only play teams from the NL East here on out. Six of the those games will be against the Atlanta Braves who, with beating the Nats 4-0 tonight, are still one game back of the Phillies.

Ryan Lawrence of the Delaware County Times points out that the big three, or H2O, of Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels and Roy Oswalt could line up just in time for the Atlanta series.

The Phillies have won 14 of their last 18 games and 15 of their last 18 road games. Eight of the Phillies’ final games are on the road.

1. pheeling it

September 14, 2010 at 1:21 am

Were three games off of the best record in the league. With the worst season of injuries ever seen. The hot teams tend to do the best entering the playoffs, just saying.

Great game Jayson Werth and Utley. I love to see the quick swing back.

2. Pingback: Phillies do yard-work in Florida, use homers for 11-4 win « Acrylic Sports

3. pheeling it

September 14, 2010 at 1:35 am

I can’t wait for the Big man to finish the year with 125 RBI’s

4. Brooks

September 14, 2010 at 7:25 am

Kieran, the Phils have been playing East Division teams only since the 6th of this month. The final 25 games of the Phils season are vs their own division which has never been easy for the Phightins. But, they sure are meeting the the chore – going 6-2. What’s nice is that after these next 2 games (Hamels and Doc get the starts) our Phillies come home for their last home stand of the season for 9 games including the very important 3 game series vs the Braves. Which, by the way I read yesterday that Cholly could be positioning his big three (yes, that’s what they were called) to start the 3 games vs the Braves at home.

My original thought was that they might lose one of these next 2 games but that means either King Cole or Roy1 gets a loss, neither of which I am convinced will happen. I know, anything can happen – so, assume 1-1 then the homestand – I think they have to win all 3 series including one sweep – a 7-2 home stand before finishing the season on the road.
    That would put the Phils at 92-64. The Phils are 7-3 in their last 10, no doubt they are hot. The Braves are 5-5 in their last 10, not so hot.

The Braves also play their last 17 games vs the East teams and they are 30-25 vs the East teams, their best W-L record is vs the Phils at 7-5, that will change. Our Phils on the other hand are now 31-25 vs East teams and that too will change. The Muts stink, the Fish find a way to lose and the Nats are still the Nats.

I feel pretty good that the Phils will finish with either 95 or 96 wins. Which should not only be the division but the best record in the NL. That means for the Braves to win 95 they have to get hot. That ain’t gonna happen.

5. Phillistein

September 14, 2010 at 7:52 am

Anyone watch the game last night? Sheesh – has to be tough playing in front of ..no one.

The place was so quiet that when Chooch hit his homer it sounded like a branch broke in my living room.

Nice game all around – nice of the Marlin’s manager to keep the kid in there while he was getting shelled; builds confidence I’m told.

Bunch of homers. Nice to see Werth go opposite field. And for those hoping that Amaro brings back Pat the Bat when Werth leaves – I saw this posted on another blog;

Question: Who would win a race between Pat Burrell and a dead horse?

Before I answer that I’d like to know – how long has the horse been dead?

6. fred

September 14, 2010 at 7:55 am

I’ll take the horse. I love Burrell and he was a huge part of us winning the WS, but his ship has sailed and he’s just not an option anymore. Imagine an outfield with Ibanez in left and Burrell in right ! That’s alot of running for Victorino to do. But good win, and Blantons starting to look better with each start.

7. Brooks

September 14, 2010 at 8:01 am

In other MLB news, the Pads beat the Rox, ending the Rockies 10 game winning streak and the Rockies simply must beat the Pads. A lot of us are still convinced that the team coming out of the west will not be the Friars but probably the Rockies. The Giants are hot for a few reasons. Pitching seems to be coming around, Aubrey Huff is having quite an impact and Pat Burrell is having one of his patented hot streaks. We all know that will end abruptly – that is why I am picking the Rox.

The Rays beat the Skanks last night, regardless of who is on top in that division both teams are in the post season and frankly, they might wind up playing each other.

I am not convinced the Twins are really anything special. I think the chief reason their record is so good is because of Jim Thome – he’s hitting .400 in Sept, not playing every game but knocking the stuffing out of the ball with 23 hrs in only 249 atbats. Morneau has been out since July 8th, he might come back before the end of the season, maybe not. Delmon Young is having a career year (now hitting .184 in his last 10 games), Mauer is being Mauer – last year he hit 28 hrs, this year just like other years he is hitting for average (.324) but only has 8 hrs. Their pitching? Pavano is having a decent year at 16-11, his best since 04 – he has 29 starts and should finish this season with over 30 starts – for only the 3rd time in his 12 big league seasons. I don’t give the Twinkies much of a chance in post season.

That leaves the Rangers as the only serious threat to take the AL –
    Josh Hamilton is probably the leading candidate for the AL MVP, with 31 HRs, 97 rbi, hitting .361 and a slugging percentage of .635. I think the Rangers turning point was getting Vlad – he has 104 rbi, has 26 hrs and is hitting over .300, again – that’s pretty much all this guy does. Michael Young is having a decent season, Nelson Cruz is hitting over .300 and of course there is Cliff Lee. Are they strong enough the beat either of the 2 AL East teams? Most likely not.

I for one want to face whoever is believed to be the toughest in the NL and the AL. I would love to see the Skanks back in the WS, only to kick the tar out of them, seriously. I want no room for questions – “Oh, you beat Tampa – first time in the WS but you couldn’t beat the real team from the AL..”

If the Rox are the hottest team coming out of the NL – I want them too – the Phils rolled over in 07 as the Rockies were tearing up the end of the season, I say we can put a stop to that!

Unquestionably guys, we are THE team to reckon with. Did you see who had a hit with a man on second last night??? Yes, it was Jayson!

8. Chuck

September 14, 2010 at 8:01 am

Branch in your living room??….

…..I thought a rafter split in my house.

Who’s Pat Burrell?

9. Phillistein

September 14, 2010 at 8:32 am

I live in a treehouse Chuck

Amazing those Rays and Yankees. They’ve been in a dead heat all year. And last night after 9 innings, Rays had two hits, Yankees had 3.

And it’s simply a miracle that the Braves are hanging tough. I’ll tell you – their fans are waiting for the other show to drop. They’re very nervous about the Rockies.

Looking for Cole for skin them alive tonight. I don’t know if anyone was paying attention but the Phillies said a few weeks back that after trying for two years they finally got Cole over 200lbs. Wonder if that has helped his fastball.

10. Brooks

September 14, 2010 at 8:50 am

No way Cole is over 200. Where is that info?

11. Ted Bell

September 14, 2010 at 8:51 am

Our old friend Brett Myers became only the eighth pitcher in the last 90 years to throw six or more innings in 30 consecutive starts. He struck out 10 and lowered his ERA to 2.85.

I’m Ted Bell.

12. Brooks

September 14, 2010 at 9:37 am

Parking lot K Ted? Saturday nights game – I’m not sure who is coming with me but I will be there early enough for a Bubba

I will be wearing my Howard Jersey and have white hair. Not hard to miss.

September 14, 2010 at 9:37 am

Career year for Myers, no doubt about it. Amazing year for the guy, I’m happy for him.

September 14, 2010 at 9:38 am

Maybe he shouldn’t have signed with the Stros for 3 years… he could’ve gotten a similar deal with a contender in FA.

15. Phillistein

September 14, 2010 at 9:42 am

Hamels said he’s put on 10 pounds to crack the 200-pound mark, something he said he’s been trying to do for five years. That has resulted in a consistently higher fastball velocity.”

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20100904_Hamels__Phils_blank_Brewers.html#ixzz0zVk1dD8X

The article was dated 9/4/10 But I had heard about it earlier. Some of us just have our fingers on the Phillie pulse.

16. Brooks

September 14, 2010 at 10:10 am

Thanks for the link Phill – I don’t normally venture to Philly.com

And eh, glad your fingers are where they can be seen –

17. Phillistein

September 14, 2010 at 10:29 am

You’re welcome Brook. I think

18. BravoMan

September 14, 2010 at 10:52 am

Like the audiences that went to see Gallagher years ago, outside fans that go to see a game at PNC park must wear plastic covering to protect themselves. Not from squashing water mellons, no. From Philly fans that will puke all over you.

Yep, Philly…. city of class. Y’all must be so proud.

19. Jeff

September 14, 2010 at 11:51 am

I went to the Braves site and mocked the fans. Oh my god it was great. like i was so bored after 25 seconds. bravo you must be proud. i also think your 15

20. biz

September 14, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Good one BravoMan. When you get 45K people a night at a venue, someone is going to be a trouble maker. I guess you wouldn’t know anything about that though. You guys sell 22K tickets and get an actual attendance of around 15K. In the middle of a pennant race. Pathetic. You guys had an empty hous against the Cardinals. There was no one in the seats. Why don’t you go support your team so you can sign some free agents.

21. pheeling it

September 14, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Bravoman whats pncbark? that crappy 17-year straight losing team that sells more tickets than you do? Good luck with Halladay, Hamels, Oswalt next week

September 14, 2010 at 1:58 pm

23. MikeB.

September 14, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Say what you want about this guy but he did a heck of a job in another big game for the Phillies last evening and was really firing that ball when he threw his heater.

24. charlie