Werth Hires Boras – Phillies Nation
News

Werth Hires Boras

UPDATE (9/19, 8:30 P.M.): CSN’s Jim Salibury confirms via Twitter that Werth has hired Boras to be his new representation.

9/6: Craig Calcaterra of NBC Sports reports that soon-to-be free agent right fielder Jayson Werth is “way down the road” in talks to bring mega-agent Scott Boras on board to be his representation.

It shouldn’t really come as a shock; after all, this is probably Werth’s one and only shot to get a big payday. It does, however, come as a blow to the hopes of fans who had hoped the Phils would be able to retain Werth past this season.

Boras, known for pushing to get every last dollar the market will bear for his clients, figures to shop Werth at an initial price tag not unlike the multi-year extension Matt Holliday signed with the Cardinals last offseason. That deal netted Holliday seven years and $120 million, a figure the Phillies almost certainly would be unable to match. Whether he gets that money is an altogether separate issue, but the price tag is certain to be high, regardless of specifics.

Werth, 31, is hitting .296/.390/.524 with 20 home runs and 44 doubles at the start of Monday’s doubleheader against the Marlins.

1. Pingback: Werth to Hire Boras? « Acrylic Sports

2. bacardipr05

September 6, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Then its a done deal if he goes with Boras. I wasnt hoping they would be a chance to resign him.

3. Reczka

September 6, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I will be happy to see Jayson Werth go. He has never impressed me as a player who was going to perform at his best when it really matters (or not make a bonehead mistake when it could hurt the most).

4. George

September 6, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Even though I don’t think Werth is personally responsible, as inconsistent as the Phils’ lineup has been maybe it’s time for a big shake-up.

Boras usually gets top dollar for his clients, so Werth is probably gone. I just hope the team can come up with a good alternative, because Brown doesn’t appear to be ready.

5. Scott in D.C.

September 6, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Take Rollins, Ibanez, and Victorino, too, please.

6. Bruce

September 6, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Who cares? I have always felt that Werth was overrated by more than a few young beard loving Phillies fans. 😉

And I can’t understand why Manuel keeps putting Werth in the 5th spot of the lineup (behind Howard) when he has the worst BA in the majors with RISP and leads the team in strikeouts. Put “Mr. Clutch” Ruiz there instead.

7. Andrew from waldorf

September 6, 2010 at 5:09 pm

@ scott
    you made me laugh out loud

Werth is gone regardless.
    Its not that bad for the phils either

8. Chuck

September 6, 2010 at 5:13 pm

9. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Have to find a RH bat to replace him………….RH not LH!!!!!!!!!!

10. bacardipr05

September 6, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Chuck I agree…Old man Ibanez, Maybe im Ready Brown and Victorino…next year….when Ibanez goes into his long long hitting droughts..then they will say dam I wish we had Werth in here..

11. Bart Shart

September 6, 2010 at 5:45 pm

The Phils will miss Werth. But they can get better value for that kind of money then what Werth will command this off season. If they had not blown their financial wad on a premature Howard contract, then maybe we could have afforded him. Ibanez will suck some major money at age 39 and maybe bat .240 next year.

12. The Dipsy

September 6, 2010 at 5:45 pm

WHO PHUCKIN CARES? Not signing here. Was never gonna sign here. He’s got one big contract and he’s gonna bleed any team that signs him. So what? Thats how it works. We can make do with a platoon. Werth is no superstar.

The Dipsy

September 6, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Maryland/Navy – Good football game.

Werth is not worth what they’ll be asking.

Look at all the young talent out there right now. The guy from Milwaukee -Lorenzo Cain, or Cargo in Colorado, and these guys are making the minimum or just over I believe. Have D Brown play winter ball, really learn basic fundamental outfield and give him a chance to hit every day.

14. Chuck

September 6, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Dipsy, YOU wanted him. How many contract scenarios have you suggested since last off-season?

I agree, though. This is his one shot at a big contract to set up himself and his family. And good for him. I guarantee you that all of you would do the same thing if you were in his shoes.

No matter what he does…I’ll always be a fan.

Sooooo…. platoon??? Who????

15. Chuck

September 6, 2010 at 5:58 pm

This what I would do…

Like Lefty said, get Brown some really strong off-season playing time and let him play. We all know he has the goods.

And then platoon Ben Fran and Ibanez….a TRUE platoon, No more of this Ibanez hitting against every single lefty bullsh*t.

We would need another legit outfielder/pinch hitter, though.

16. The Dipsy

September 6, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Chuck….you are thinking of someone else….I think. I did and do want Jayson to stay, but at fair value. I think I mentioned at one point that they could keep him if the Phils configured his contract a certain way but I wrote that last season or this off season. What is Werth “worth” in pure reality in Dipsyland? 5/42.5 or 3/30

The Dipsy

17. The Dipsy

September 6, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Anyone like Michael Cudduyer?

The Dipsy

18. Chuck

September 6, 2010 at 6:07 pm

I’m not thinking of anybody else. Perhaps I perceived your plethora (like that word?) of contract ideas as really wanting him to stay.

What’s he worth? I don’t really know. Looks like it’s gonna be more than we all think or that the Phillies are willing to pay. By possibly hiring Bor-ass you know he’s looking for EVERY dollar.

I’d offer him 4/50 with a 5th year club option. And I think he would turn that down cause I think he really thinks ….and maybe rightfully so…that he can get more.

19. Chuck

September 6, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Cuddyer?

20. The Dipsy

September 6, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Chuck…he’s totally turning that down. There are no outfielders available in FA this year. I would like to go on record as saying that if Werth hires Boras while this season is still going on, that it would be a bush, classless move. Worry about a pennant, sh!tstick, and take care of your money in the offseason. Now, I’m getting worked up. I understand why his power numbers are down now. It must be hard to see a baseball when you have dollar signs blocking your pupils.

The Dipsy

21. Chuck

September 6, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I agree 1000% with what you just said.

22. The Dipsy

September 6, 2010 at 6:15 pm

As do I Chuck. Perhaps he can be had for a bit cheaper than Werth. Maybe enjoying his teammates, playing in a great town with great fans and a chance to win a WS would appeal to him? Am I F’d up to think that way?

The Dipsy

23. Chuck

September 6, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Look, I like Jayson. Always have. Always will. But maybe he’s played out the string here. That’s cool. The Phils need to think proactively. What’s Cuddyer’s contract status? Oh, here it is: contract up this year, 10.5 M option for 2011.

24. The Dipsy

September 6, 2010 at 6:31 pm

AND he can play LF, RF, 1B, 3B. How sweet is that? You could basically rotate Ibanez, Brown, Cuddyer. Put him at 3rd and spell Chase. I like it a lot.

The Dipsy

(btw I guarantee you that NJ will find some emminently plausible reason why this could NEVER happen and Andrew would just find it stupid)

25. bostonkate

September 6, 2010 at 6:38 pm

There was an article in a boston paper about this today and my first thought was SIGN HIM. If he’s hired Boras, he’s going to a team that can pay top dollar.

I’m a Werth fan but he’s been inconsistent next season. Not worth it. Let Boston him. I’d love to see him around the park and see how he’d make it in the AL.

26. The Dipsy

September 6, 2010 at 6:42 pm

P.S. No way Werth gets Holliday money. Holliday is a stud. A hitter you can build your lineup around. You shine that spotlight on Werth and he would wither away.

The Dipsy

27. Chuck

September 6, 2010 at 6:45 pm

I think Boston would embrace him and I think Jayson would excel there. He’ll become another Red Sox Cult hero, which he will love.

—–

Cuddyer has tons of flexibility and he’s relatively young at 31. And he has postseason experience.

28. Chuck

September 6, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Holliday’s not worth what he’s being paid, though.

29. The Dipsy

September 6, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Nobody’s worth what they get paid. Pujols, maybe.

The Dipsy

30. miked63

September 6, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Whats up guys , had to work all day didn’t see game. Too busy to jump
    on NATION. Just read entire game day thread and checked box score
    on yahoo. Listened to sports talk on the way home in car and I would say it was about 90% negative with a few people spouting the big picture argument with the braves losing and the current west coast trip.
    Not much i can add that wasn’t said on gamed thread. I am very concerned though lookin forward. I think this team is what it is offensively. I dont see a switch being thrown. Pitching is better in the playoffs and i’m worried. For us winning the W.S is all that matters. I know the other N.L teams have flaws too so i’m not saying were not gonna make it . Its just that theyre all having subpar offensive years at the same time except for a few.—–be back soon for game —– peace !

31. bacardipr05

September 6, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Perhaps a shake up is in store. Howards contract will kind of limit what the Phils can do. I just dont know if Werth is the man to go. However if we cant afford him we cant. Howard was also a bit on the greedy side as well. However that is rarely mentioned here. Fact is i think a lot of teams have figured how to get our hitters out. The Phils need to work around that somehow they need a plan. Yes i just heard this on the pre-game show but I have been saying an thinking this all along. I do think if Werth goes we need someone to replace him. I dont think a Platoon is a long term answer here.

32. The Dipsy

September 6, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Don’t need a long term answer right now. Ibanez comes off after next year. Handling next year would be just fine. I would love to trade Vic if Werth could stay on this planet as far as his price tag.

The Dispy

33. Chuck

September 6, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Chuck’s outfield wishes for next year:

Brown
    Werth
    Ibanez
    Francisco
    Cuddyer

(Probably won’t happen)

34. psujoe

September 6, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Boras = bye bye Werth. I like the idea of platooning Ibanez and Ben Fran. They were on fire before Charlie stopped doing it.

I read on mlbtraderumors that one GM interested in Werth doubts he can be effective in a less imposing lineup than Philly. hmmm.

35. mary

September 6, 2010 at 7:27 pm

The phillies have to keep werth or get another right handed bat to play every day.this lineup would be way too many left handed if domonic brown takes werths place and ibanez plays every day.i’d like em to keep werth and let brown eventually take ibanez place.

36. psujoe

September 6, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Maglio Ordonez coming off the ankle injury? Too expensive?

September 6, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Just because he’s signing with Boras doesn’t mean he’s leaving Philly…

Remember when Madson was with Boras not too long ago, but Madson said he WANTED to stay in Philly and everyone ended up happy with that deal (except maybe Boras, since Madson COULD’VE signed for more somewhere else).

I’m hoping Werth stays, regardless.

38. George

September 6, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Cuddyer is an option only if his option isn’t picked up. If he’s worth even considering at $10.5 million per, then Werth would HAVE to expect and probably WILL get more. Heck, an ancient Ibanez will be making $11 million! I’m not sure how Dipsy arrives at his values, but anyone would pay more than $30/ 3 years for an outfielder with Jayson’s numbers.

And yes, it is possible that Werth could resign, even with Boras as his agent. It’s happened before. He’s even said in the past that he wants to play for the Phils. But something about the timing of this whole thing either indicates otherwise, or that the Phils have already made an inadequate offer or told Werth they can’t afford him, and now he feels he should have the best agent he can to negotiate with other teams.

Also, I disagree that Howard was greedy. He didn’t ask for an extension; the Phils simply gave him one. Sure, maybe he was greedy for taking it, but I doubt there’s a person on this site who wouldn’t have done the same thing.

39. George

September 6, 2010 at 11:00 pm

$30/3 years should read $30 million/3 years.

40. pheeling it

September 7, 2010 at 12:13 am

WERTH IS A SUPERSTAR dispy. I don’t know why everyone is sour, hes too expensive because he’s a 5 tool outfielder! Werth is better than Rowand, Burrell, and HE WILL BE SUCH A PHILLY KILLER if we dont sign him.

Please stay Werth, we love you

41. pheeling it

September 7, 2010 at 12:18 am

DIPSY-You are right when you said no-one is werth what they’re paid. But these fans give the Phillies unlimited resources, and we could sign Werth if we really wanted to. Imagine a full season with oswalt, this lineup, and a closer. 110 wins in 2010

42. pheeling it

September 7, 2010 at 12:18 am

2011*

43. Nunzio Scholeri

September 7, 2010 at 2:44 am

I could definitely live with seeing Werth walk. In fact the only way I’d want him back at the price he’d command is if someone could work with him to get his phreakin’ head in the game. Getting hits with the bases empty isn’t worth much in my book when you’re the 5-hole hitter and completely incapable of seeing the ball when anyone is on base. You watch him hit with men on base, and you can see him pulling off the ball so bad that he’s looking into the 3rd-base dugout before he’s even started his swing. Plus all of his running gaffes and so forth lately – he’s such a space cadet. I’m just waiting for him to pull a Milton Bradley and forget how many outs there are.

I like his swagger, and I like his potential, but he just does not have his head in the game. He seems to either be radically underperforming or just incapable of handling the pressure of clutch situations.

This team needs more young blood. Of course I say that while also secretly hoping Jamie Moyer somehow makes a comeback from his injury and re-signs to replace the uselessness of Kendrick. But that last part is probably just sentimentalism.

44. Pingback: Labor Day Blowout Applesauce – Pelfrey struggles, Yu Darvish speculation, Ollie hopeful for 2011 « Acrylic Sports

45. Doug D.

September 7, 2010 at 10:28 am

I think it’s safe to say that management has long accepted the fact that Jayson won’t be back in 2011. As a Type-A free agent, they’ll offer him arbitration and take the compensatory “sandwich” pick and the signing team’s 1st or 2nd round pick in next year’s draft. If one of the top 15 teams in 2010 signs him (the likely scenario), the Phils will get their 1st round pick. If he signs with one of the bottom 15 teams, the Phils will receive that team’s 2nd round pick. IMHO, it’s a fait accompli! Forget about Jayson. He’s easy to strikeout. Just throw strikes early in the count (because he takes more pitches than nearly anyone) and then, once he has 2 strikes, throw him fastballs above the belt. He can’t lay off them, nor can he hit them

September 19, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Sad note to cap off a good day.

47. Brooks

September 19, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I really think that Cuddeyer is very very average and Werth is a much better player than Cuddeyer. Would I like Jayson to stay? Sure, his batting with RISP this year is an aberration the year before he did not have a problem like this. But the reality is he is gone.

I heard that Brown will be playing winter ball in South America, it may help, this guy is uber talented. I’m thinking Brown will be OK actually, better than OK.

If the Phils stay healthy next year, with or without Jayson we are looking at a 4th consecutive WS appearance in 2011.

48. BostonKate

September 19, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Come to Boston baby. It will make my world around Fenway in 2011 sooooo much better.

49. matt

September 19, 2010 at 10:57 pm

This pisses me off,

50. Bruce

September 19, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Next season will be Domonic Brown’s chance to show why he is the Phillies top prospect and heir apparent to Right Field. 🙂

51. Andrew from waldorf

September 20, 2010 at 12:00 am

Dont be mad or upset about this. Its fine.
    Every time Werth gets a hit or hits a homer form here on out means that another team will have to play him a bigger contract next year.
    Once you come to terms that hes gone. You can really root for him.
    If there was a chance to resign him. Then the hits would be bad for the Phils salary situation. I hope he hits 14 homers the next 6 weeks.
    Let them give him 100 million dollar contract.

September 20, 2010 at 6:31 am

“Hey ramblin’ man, why don’t you settle down,
    Boston ain’t your kinda town,
    There ain’t no gold and there ain’t no team like the Phillies,
    We’re the number one fans of the man from Illinois”

But if you’re already gone- Good luck and thanks for the memories.
    -And we move on.

53. bfo_33

September 20, 2010 at 7:27 am

Quite the turnaround in Philadelphia baseball in the last 3 years. An exciting walk-off win after a game full of missed opportunities to keep the Phils up 3, and the best top of the rotation in Phils history poised to eliminate the only threat to the third straight division crown, yet the concern is who will play rf in 2011?

Hasn’t the last two seasons shown that Rube and Co have a plan? Haven’t they demostrated that when the plan doesn’t work, they have contingencies? I’ll leave 2011 to management, far more excited about the Braves series right now.

54. Phillistein

September 20, 2010 at 7:43 am

Enjoy him while he lasts. For those of you who actually enjoy Jason Werth.

I don’t anyone would begrudge him his chance to earn big bucks at this stage of his career.

Sad because he is a good player and has been an integral part of this Phillies run.

Such is life

Such is baseball.

And we’ll deal with who will the righty bat be when the time comes. There are potentially 32 games left in 2010. Focus on that.

Lastly – Boras is a tool. That, however, is neither here nor there

55. Phillistein

September 20, 2010 at 7:44 am

Jayson

56. Phillistein

September 20, 2010 at 7:54 am

By the way – I doubt it very much if Werth will get Holliday $$$$. And with good reason – as much as I like the guy he’s not worth it.

$17 Million for Werth?

As a part-time Yankee phan (Sorry – grew up in the Bronx) I’d love to see Boras get him that much in Boston.

Isn’t Chan Ho Park a Boras client? And the Phillies offered Park $3 million. Boras tells Park he can get him more!!!

LOL…poor Chan Ho

Signs with the Yankees for $1.3 million…….and then gets released.

Boras is a tool

57. Brooks

September 20, 2010 at 9:35 am

I believe Boras is a tool as well.
    But, the truth of the matter is Jayson will go somewhere and sign probably a 4 year contract, over 60 mil or so, maybe more. He may be a tool, but he performs.

58. Chuck

September 20, 2010 at 10:03 am

I said this on the other thread, “Werth Walks Off…”, but I will repeat it here..

Another poster had used the phrase, “grabbing all the money” in reference to Werth.

I replied, “Why is it that everyone is so against Jayson Werth getting whatever he can in the way of a contract? If a team wants to pay him a lot more than the Phillies are willing to pay…and he takes it…good for him.”

Also, “He’s worked hard all his life as a player and deserves to be able to have the opportunity to set himself and his family up for life.”

And, “You all would do the same thing.”

Finally, “Jealousy maybe??……??”

So here’s my question to all of you who seem to “hate” Jayson all of a sudden…

When he comes back to Philly in another team’s uniform are you going to boo him the way Scott Rolen and JD Drew are booed??

Because, after being such an integral part of the WFC team from ’08 and last year’s pennant team and possibly great things this year…to me, that would be just insanely ridiculous.

59. Phillistein

September 20, 2010 at 10:09 am

Personally – I like Jayson and wish him the best.

I would be happy to cheer him – until he hits his first homerun or throws someone out at the plate

60. Bob in Bucks

September 20, 2010 at 10:09 am

Sorry folks, Boras is a great agent. If you don’t think so then look at the contracts he gets most of his clients. If you were a player you would want as much as you could get and therefore you should get the best agent who gets you the most. It’s a business.

61. sportsphan

September 20, 2010 at 10:42 am

Don’t give me this garbage about these players needing multi-gazillion dollar contracts to “set up himself and his family for life”. Anybody with any modicum of common sense can set up himself and his family for life with the amount of money Werth is making here now. And the Phillies for sure would offer an increase–just maybe not as much as Boston or the Yankees. If you need more than $7.5 million dollars a year to be set for life, something is definitely wrong with you. Agents push for these ridiculous contracts so that THEY can be set for life.

62. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 20, 2010 at 10:53 am

sportsphan-i agree 100%!!!!

63. Chuck

September 20, 2010 at 10:53 am

Hypothetical situation:

The Phillies offer 3 years 12M with a 4th year option. $36M guaranteed.

The Red Sox offer 5 years 14M. $70M guaranteed.

What dummy in their right mind would select the first scanario?

64. MikeB.

September 20, 2010 at 10:57 am

Werth does not care about the big bucks that the fans have to pay to watch the Phils play at CBP. Good player but not worth paying over sixteen million bucks or more a year which is what him and Boris will probably demand for his services. Phils will be fine without Werth next year if need be.

65. Andrew from waldorf

September 20, 2010 at 11:17 am

I guess Terrell Owens has a great agent too?

His agent is a moron. Terrell could have had a statue in front of the stadium and car dealerships and free meals for life.

He gave up a life of being an icon for a moron agent.
    Not that Werth is all that. He isn’t. Just saying.
    Some agents suck.
    TO will never make back what he lost.

66. pheeling it

September 20, 2010 at 11:20 am

All I hear is he cant hit with RISP, blah blah blah.

With the injuries we had this year, we would NOT be where we are right now without Jayson Werth, and you have to admit that…

He is a 5 tool outfielder. Rowand left for money, Burrell left for money, I think Jayson is better than both of them.

It’s not like we won’t pay him, I don’t want 4 years, 70 million either but this guy isn’t someone you just let go….

I love Domonic Brown, but there is no-one out there that can replace Jayson Werth. I guess everyone realizes we can’t resign him so they act like oh he’s terrible I’m going to boo him, but deep down you know he’s better than Pat the Bat and Arron Rowand COMBINED! He’s out RH power, Cuddyer is a phucking joke compared to Werth!!

67. pheeling it

September 20, 2010 at 11:24 am

I know we cant resign him, and out of anybody he is the ONE guy that won’t show loyalty and take a discount, but this guy is going to kill it somewhere and we will feel it next season in situations like yesterday.

I can’t just write him off and be happy he’s leaving…this one’s goin hurt.

68. bfo_33

September 20, 2010 at 11:24 am

Chuck, couldn’t agree with you more, not just with Jayson, but any player. There is a big difference between $36M and $70M, especially when it has to last the rest of your life. It’s not easy for me to process, since he’s already made more money than I will in my entire life, but I can understand it.

While I wouldn’t take a chance going to a poorly run company in an area I don’t care for (Cleveland, KC,…), if a successful company offers to double my salary, move me to an area I can live with (Boston, NY, CO, West Coast), I’m gone. Werth will get an offer close to double of what the Phils will offer (maybe not annually, but total value of the contract).

When he returns, I’ll give him a big cheer during introductions, then treat him like any other opposing player thereafter.

69. Chuck

September 20, 2010 at 11:28 am

Why SHOULD Werth “care about the big bucks that the fans have to pay to watch the Phils”??

You people don’t get it. Jayson Werth has the God-given right to get whatever he can to play wherever he wants. It’s a business. At the end of the day he really owes you and I NOTHING. It’s that simple.

Yet, he’s somehow being villified for wanting to get paid a lot of money…something that all of us wish we had the opportunity to have.

70. Chuck

September 20, 2010 at 11:30 am

ok…bfo gets it.

71. bfo_33

September 20, 2010 at 11:31 am

Pheeling it, agree with the sentiment, but Burrell left because the Phils didn’t offer him a contract.

TO is a bad example in this case – he wanted to be an icon. If he would have stayed, he could have dwarfed the money he made from football with endorsements. Werth wants to play baseball and vanish from the spotlight (I’m sure he’s gotten endorsement offers, have never seen him in a commercial).

I believe that the plan to replace Werth was in place before the Howard extension was signed, and I don’t think it is just D-Brown and Ben Fran. This is something I’ll think about a lot in Nov, right now, I’m excited about the way this team is playing, looking no farther forward than the Braves series.

72. Andrew from waldorf

September 20, 2010 at 11:34 am

He is getting a bad rap for hitting .132 with RISP and .054 with 2 outs and RISP.

I bet the next 5 hole hitter for the Phillies has more RBI than extra base hits. Unlike ????

Bet?

73. Andrew R.

September 20, 2010 at 11:36 am

Go get ’em Jay-dub

74. The Original Chuck P

September 20, 2010 at 11:37 am

No doubt Werth is better than either of them… he’s as good as Bobby Abreu but he has something that Bobby didn’t have; a winning mentality. Jayson fits here… he’s a killer just like Chase and Ryan and Halladay and Chooch and Raul… those guys go up there with the intention of demoralizing their opponent and take it personally when they don’t. Jayson is no different. He’s a head case but he hates losing… the RISP struggles make no sense but I will guarantee that he will hit with RISP again because he’s too good not to. If he walks, it will be a big loss for us. Say what you want about his attitude/lack of focus, the guy is a P-L-A-Y-E-R. Can we win without him? Sure but I think we have to expect growing pains from Dom Brown. In fact, I would bet that Rube makes no changes in the OF if Werth walks. Why? Dom has to play and Dom has to get a chance to start without worrying about who is behind him.

I hope Jayson is back but I understand that this is a money issue… if Jayson leaves for the money, that’s his prerogative. You can’t tell someone else how much they should make or how they should live their life; that’s arrogant. I do hope that Jayson considers the other things when making his decision; money shouldn’t be the only deciding factor. This is where he needs to be to build his legacy. This is where he got his chance and despite what some of the idiots post on here, we love him. In fact, I would bet that most people who spout nonsense on here really want Jayson back but don’t want to feel the pain when he walks (it’s a defense mechanism more than anything else). If he takes a back-end loaded deal and stays with a reasonable hometown discount, all of you will change your tune, I’m sure.

Cuddyer couldn’t hold Jayson Werth’s jock strap.

75. The Dipsy

September 20, 2010 at 11:38 am

Jayson Werth has the god given right to get as much money as he possibly can. He is also looking for his first real payday so he is gonna bleed every last cent out of whatever team he signs with. Knowing that, we know he won’t be signed by the Phils. I thank him for his fine service. He will be missed. The Phillies will find a more than adequate replacement and the beat goes on…and the beat goes on.

BTW, tack on an extra 1M a year after yesterday.

The Dipsy

76. The Original Chuck P

September 20, 2010 at 11:41 am

The either of them refers to Burrell and Rowand…

77. Andrew R.

September 20, 2010 at 11:42 am

Come on guys. Werth has the right to get as much as he can get. Didn’t we all want Aaron Rowand signed long-term? Look how that played out. Victorino and Werth got more playing time and Rowand went down the tubes.

I would love to have Werth for another 2, maybe 3 years. Despite having 5 tools, I don’t have him as an “elite” player. He isn’t going to get there as he approaches his mid-30’s either.

I’ve also read there being some concern over Werth being the center-piece in a lineup and I can buy that. He’s a nice complimentary piece for us, but put him in a ballpark that’s slightly bigger where he’s the clean-up guy…. that ain’t gonna be pretty. How many of those little opposite field, line-drive homers are going to get out at other ballparks?

We all love Werth, but it’s time for him to go. I can’t wait to see who Ruben goes out and gets to compliment Brown in the OF. But that’s all at least 2 months away.

78. The Dipsy

September 20, 2010 at 11:44 am

Michael Cuddyer is not as good as Jayson Werth. We all know that. But he’s good and he would be worked in with Dom Brown. He also plays LF, 1B and 3B. If we were gonna get someone who was just as good as Werth….we would just sign Werth, right? I like a loose Brown/Cuddyer platoon.

The Dipsy

79. Chuck

September 20, 2010 at 11:45 am

Dipsy gets it, too. As does Original.

Cuddyer is an upgrade over Ben Fran.

80. The Original Chuck P

September 20, 2010 at 11:54 am

I wouldn’t hesitate to sign Werth to a long-term deal… he’s got the tools and the plate discipline to be very good for a long time. Even if his power dips, he’s got the tools to hit +.300 if he wants. He’s a solid defensive player and a good athlete. Even if his skills decline, he’s going to be productive for another 5 years. Would I be willing to pay above average money for Jayson Werth for 5 years knowing that he’s likely only going to give me 3 really good seasons? I probably would because he’s be playing at an adequate level in the other two- he’s not going to fall off like Rowand (we all knew that would happen).

81. The Original Chuck P

September 20, 2010 at 11:58 am

I like Cuddyer… I’ve said that before and he would be a great insurance policy in LF and the corner infield positions but he probably wouldn’t get enough ab’s here to be successful and I really think it would be a bad idea to have anyone of that caliber standing in Dom Brown’s shadow. Think Kevin Kolb… as long as Mike Vick is on that team, he is never going to get a chance to play through the growing pains. He’s never going to get a fair chance to open it up and he’s always going to be looking over his shoulder. What did Atlanta do with Heyward? They let him play… same thing in Florida (with Stanton). Same thing in Chicago (with Colvin, who was speared by a broken bat yesterday). They’ve gotta let him be a starter, good or bad.

82. The Dipsy

September 20, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Nope. Cuddyer gets spread around substituting for Ibanez and Polanco also and he wings up with 425-450 AB’s. Same amount of AB’s for Brown, too. I would not do a straight platoon with Brown.

The Dipsy

83. The Original Chuck P

September 20, 2010 at 12:06 pm

You guys will like this… saw this on a braves.com message board… braves fans are saying that we’re “playing dirty” because we shuffled our rotation to get our big 3 in line for this series. What a bunch of whiners. Isn’t that the primary objective of a playoff team down the stretch (to get their rotation in order for the playoffs)?

84. Chuck

September 20, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Yeah, we shuffled the rotation and still swept the Marlins and Nats. I guess the “dirtier” we are the better we are…

85. The Original Chuck P

September 20, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Brown has to get more than 420-250 AB’s…

86. Bart Shart

September 20, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I hope Jayson gets a decent contract in the American League. We will miss him, as he is a solid hitter and a fine outfielder. But we need to remember what Aaron Rowand, Soriano, Jason Bay all did after signing their big contracts. They did not live up to their pay. Good luck to Jayson Werth. I hope he has a great year end and a magnificent post-season….and adios amigo !!!! I bet he signs with the Angels.

87. Phillistein

September 20, 2010 at 12:25 pm

As much as I love talking about Jayson Werth can we move on to more pressing matters.

Like the fact that

88. Phillistein

September 20, 2010 at 12:29 pm

oops..

………..like the fact that THE BIGGEST SERIES OF THE YEAR STARTS TONIGHT!!!

I’m thinking we take 2 of 3. And that Halladay is the loser. having said that………..Halladay has been waiting his entire career to pitch in games like this so………………….maybe I’m wrong. However, he has seem to be draggin his last couple of starts.

The Braves have done very well against Oswalt. Although that boy seems FIRED UP!!!

Wagner could play a big part – he’s been pitching very well lately.

Braves are not moving pitchingaround and we’re NOT seeing Hudson and Lowe this series – which is odd of Cox I think.

Feels like the playoffs are here already. I LOVE nail biting baseball

89. The Original Chuck P

September 20, 2010 at 1:03 pm

A little gamesmanship on the part of the Braves- they have summoned minor leaguer Brandon Beachy from his home to be nearby in case he needs to start tonight (in place of of Jair Jurrjens, who apparently tweaked his knee during a bullpen session on Friday night).

Bring on Wagner… Bring on Beachy… hell, bring on Phil Niekro. We’ll steamroll them all!

90. Brooks

September 20, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Scott Boras – snake?
    Don’t forget, in 1997, he advised top pick J.D. Drew not to sign with the Philadelphia Phillies, essentially changing baseballs draft from “Amateur Draft” to “First Year Player Draft” due to his tongue.
    He negotiated the $252 contract for AROD, a 9.9 mil 3 year contract for a HS player named Bryce Harper this year and there are tons more. This man, along with the help of the MLB has changed the face of negotiating contracts.
    He’s successful alright, just slippery.
    Werth will be overpaid somewhere, just not here.

91. Bruce

September 20, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I have mixed feelings about all of this. I do believe Werth should look for his giant pay day and don’t fault him for that…on the other hand, why did this announcement have to come out now about Boras. Gives the perception he only hits for a payday not for the phillies as a team. Will be difficult to root for him just for that.
    Secondly, I wonder with what happened to Rowand will also happen to Werth. We need him as much as he needs the Phillies. The lineup is perfect for him. He is not the cornerstone of the franchise, but an important cog in making it work. With that kind of payday he will expected to be a cornerstone and stud ball player. Not sure how he will perform with that pressure.

92. psujoe

September 20, 2010 at 1:27 pm

LMAO on gamesmanship. The objective is to win the division so having our best go is a no brainer.

As to Werth, I wish we could keep him, but you can’t tie up big money on another player. Too much tied up long term already. RAJ will have to earn his keep to get a good RH OF bat to get in the line up or the Phils will be too lefty heavy.

Go phils!

93. psujoe

September 20, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Anyone seriously think the Twins won’t exercise Cuddyer’s option for $10.5 million given the lack of OF depth in FA. They’d be foolish to let him go.

94. bfo_33

September 20, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Werth isn’t going to the Pirates/KC/Cubs/Nats,…. The teams that can afford him have other parts (RedSox, Yanks – although they’re supposed to be going for Crawford, Angels). Even though he’ll get close to cornerstone money, it will be in a similar position as with the Phils – good D, threat of speed and power, protection. He’s not going to have to carry an offense, and he’s not going to a rebuilding team.

95. jeff

September 20, 2010 at 1:42 pm

werth would be stupid to go anywhere. make a fair deal with the phillies. we need a right handed bat. brown can take over for raul when he is gone. werth has a chance to win a few world series titles. he has three great pitchers and a city he likes playing for.

96. Chuck

September 20, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Crawford probably goes to the Yanks. Werth will go to Boston or LA (the Angels, the Dodgers are too messed up financially with that circus of a divorce case involving the McCourts).

Somehow I still see Jayson in Boston….unless a miracle occurs and he stays….

97. MikeB.

September 20, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Well, have a great time Chuck, paying the high prices for baseball tickets because of all these overpaid players. I stopped years ago and do not plan to ever start again. Watching the games on TV or on the internet is fine with me…and inexpensive.

98. Phillistein

September 20, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Jeff – be real here.

SOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo let me get this straight.

You’re Jayson Werth – you’ve been on a team that’s made the post season 3 years in a row, won the NL pennant twice and the World Series once.

You’re 31 years old and you KNOW that this will be the biggest contract of your professional life.

And you’re potentially going to pass on $5, $10, $20 miilion dolars because……….

Because?

You like cheesesteak?

You like hanging with Chace Utley?

C’mon dude

He’s been a great part of a great team – and we’ll be sorry to see him go. But realistically – he’d have to be knuckin futz to sign with the Phillies if it means passing on all that $$$$$

99. Phillistein

September 20, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Chase

(don’t know why I felt I had to do that)

100. Phillistein

September 20, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Hey MikeyB

My son asked me two weeks ago if I wanted to go to a Phillies game.

Bought two tickets on stub hb for $9 each plus the $10 processing.

$28 bugs

Another $12 (?) for parking.

watched the game standing beind home plare eating Italian sausage (another $11.50)

About $50 bugs total. (Brought my own peanuts and diet coke)

Saturday I took my wife to see the “The Town”. $22 bugs for tickets another $20 for snacks.

Roughly $55 vs. $40 Phillies vs. Ben Affleck

I mean, you COULD stay home.

I guess

101. Chuck

September 20, 2010 at 2:29 pm

There have been overpaid players for years and I can still get a decent seat at CBP for about $30….$60 if I want something better. Baseball’s still a great value compared to other sports.

And that’s why I have always been advocating some sort of fiscal restraint when it comes to salaries. I don’t want the Phillies to become the Yankees…cause then I and avery other average Joe fans out there won’t be able to go to 10+ games a year.

———

Phillistein….

Well said.

102. Chuck

September 20, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I should add….and it’s for the benefit of guys like MikeB…..there’s nothing like being at the park. Like Phillistein said, if you do it right you don’t have to spend a fortune….and you and yours will have a great time anyway.

103. King

September 20, 2010 at 2:42 pm

how about atlanta complaining about cbp

“When they built that damn ballpark, we didn’t have a prayer. They started printing money and hitting shorter home runs,’’ Atlanta president John Schuerholz on the emergence of the Phillies as an NL East power coinciding with the team’s move into Citizens Bank Park.

and cholly response:

I tell our guys, ‘champions can play anywhere.

Amazing.

Incredibly excited for tonight is an understatement, go phils!

September 20, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I’m getting tired of complaints about the size of the CBP. The Phils have no advantage, they don’t move the fences back when the opposing team hits. They don’t move them up when we hit.
    It’s just stupid.

“champions can play anywhere” I love it.

105. Chuck

September 20, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I’ve seen tons of potential home runs die at the warning track at CBP because of the wind.

Dumba$$ comment by the Braves….

….of course, I’m not surprised.

106. pheeling it

September 20, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Champions can play anywhere, I love it too.

LISTEN, I don’t know money in baseball because it seems totally screwy but all I’m saying is I believe if it wasn’t for AJ Burnett smashing his wrist in half, Werth could be a potential Hall-of-Famer, and whereas Howard and Utley are seen as winning as the title in 08 WERTH went a long way to helping us get there too. Phillies never really acknowledge him and that could contribute to his mentality of IM GOING KILL IT THIS SEASON SO YOU CANT AFFORD ME ANYMORE.

WHICH I think is a little BS anyone, what team has more money than us now? We should be able to do whatever we want, what do you guys care about what the Phillies spend?

We need bullpen help, so I’m all for letting Werth walk and signing us a new toy in the pen, but it’s a shame that we are vicitims of our own success and now the whole league wants our players. If you look at Burrell and Rowand, sometimes it’s not the performance on one player that should make up his contract, but the success of the team that makes a player truly wanted.

No doubt he’ll be overpaid, no doubt he’ll underperform, no doubt he will miss Philly, just like all the other Philly killers scattered, no, littered across the league.

HAMELS TONIGHT!!!!! THEY SAY JURRJENS MIGHT NOT EVEN PITCH DUE TO INJURY! LETS GO COLE

107. pheeling it

September 20, 2010 at 2:57 pm

That didn’t really make sense. I have class at 3:30 so to make it short and sweet, J Dubb is the man….

108. Chuck

September 20, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Or…

Jayson could go to Boston. Become an instant cult hero there. Play well. And win THEM another championship or two.

Don’t count that out.

109. Brooks

September 20, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Got your drift pheeling and I think your on the money. Werth goes and we go after BP help – our BIGGEST need.

September 20, 2010 at 3:18 pm

It was a good post pheelin

111. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 20, 2010 at 3:21 pm

LETS DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GET YOUR RALLY TOWELS READY PHILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TIME TO END THE BRAVES HOPE OF WINNING THE DIVISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

112. jeff

September 20, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Listen mr. stein. I realize they do not make players like they used too. Remember Magic taking less money so he can get scott and coop signed. I know they do not do it anymore. If Im werth I would try to strike a deal that was fair. He is loved my most fans and plays with the best team in the NL. Could be a dynasty. I rather do that then go play for the spankees. they are getting old. Jeter looks like he is done. Mo is done. The Phillies are a fun and exting group. YES, i would want to stay and play ball here. Sorry Steiney.

113. Phillistein

September 20, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Schuerholz may be correct – but not for the reason he states.

The move into CBP coincides with a surge in attendance.

More people more hotdogs.
    More hotdogs more $$$
    More money more…Raul Ibanez

?

Uh….you know what I mean.

Braves phans are complaining about

1. size of CBP
    2. Our payroll.

Which means – we’re in their heads. And going by park size reasoning Rockies should win EVERY year!!

However, Braves payroll is $17 million more than the Rays payroll. And more than double the Padres payroll. Of the top 10 payroll teams this year only 3 are guaranteed a playoff spot. (If SF makes it that would be four)

What I will give them is that’s it’s hard to MAINTAIN a winning team in a small market.

Our core is home grown and Oswalt and Halladay came through trades b/c of a stocked farm system.

Also, Braves, who spent a major chunk of the season in 1st, are ranked 15 in attendance.

Therefore, Braves fans can kiss my cheesesteak

114. bfo_33

September 20, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Chipper feels the Braves are behind now because of Troy and him hitting the DL. No sympathy there from the Phils. Love the Charlie comment – sounds like Chase wrote it for him (except no f-bomb).

As much as I love beating the Mets, the team I really hate in our division is the Braves. Kill them off this series.

Philstein – how was “the Town” – not an Affleck fan, but heard it was good.

115. Phillistein

September 20, 2010 at 3:50 pm

The Town was OK – not great. Kind of formulaic

Not much out there movie wise so, if you’re gonna go to the movies……you might as well see that.

Very interesting part with Fenway Park though

6.5 out of 10

116. Chuck

September 20, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Gotta love the Phils chances to make a serious statement this series. But let’s just focus on one game at a time.

The Braves probably won’t roll over that easily. They just got done sweeping the Mets on the road and, while damaged, are still gonna fight.

A sweep would be golden. Anything less than 2 of 3 is a failed series. But if they were to only win one, they’re still 2 games up.

117. BravoMan

September 20, 2010 at 3:53 pm

My last post didn’t go through, I don’t think. So again…. Brandon Beachy starts his first MLB game tonight in place of Jurrjens. I’ve seen Beachy pitch in the minors and he definitely has the stuff to get MLB hitters out. Does he have the mentality? Time will tell very soon.

Man, the hate y’all have for the Braves is strange since I can’t recall any Brave player, coach or really any fan disrespecting the Phillies in any way. Except of course for me, but that’s besides the point. I get a very good feeling there’s still a lot of bitterness of our run through the 90’s/early 2000’s from a lot of the baseball world. I know ESPN has always loathed the Braves for whatever reason and they’ll be ticked if the Braves somehow take over the division again. Of course I want that to happen.

118. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 20, 2010 at 4:12 pm

BREAKING NEWS-JJ WILL NOT BE STARTING FOR BRAVES TONIGHT!!!!!!

119. Bart Shart

September 20, 2010 at 4:14 pm

It’s that vile tomahawk chop. It kills me. Worst gesture since the waving of the middle finger. I loved the Braves of Hank Aaron, Eddie Matthews, Warren Spahn, Lew Burdette, Joe Adcock, Billy Bruton, Johnny Logan, Wes Covington. Bob Buhl and Del Crandall. Can’t believe they only won two NL Championships and on World Series. Oh. they were in Milwaukee. Sorry for that.

120. psujoe

September 20, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Hope Phils slam the door shut because all this whinning by the Braves club/fans is ridiculous. Common consensus is run friendly parks are bad for teams because it generally wears down the bullpen. As an aside, I guess TBS didn’t give the Braves a financial advantage a decade or so ago.

Somebody call the whambulance!

121. Bart Shart

September 20, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Phillies fans hate everyone who challenge the Phils. It is brief but intense hate and it is one reason we are the way we are. Like us or hate us. Your choice. But if the Braves lose, we will like them. It’s only the MUTTS that we have lingering dislike for and is because of their rotten fans.

122. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 20, 2010 at 4:17 pm

BEACHY IS A RH PITCHER WITH A 90-94 FASTBALL.81-84 CHANGE UP,AND A CURVE…….I HAVE TO THROW THIS IN,JUST MY 2 CENTS….WHAT DO BRAVES FANS THINK ABOUT JJ SHOWING NO HEART AT ALL FOR HIS TEAM?THIS IS 1 OF THE BIGGEST GAMES IN THEIR SEASON AND HE SAYS HE CANT PITCH—–SOOOOO WEAK!!!!!!!

123. Bart Shart

September 20, 2010 at 4:17 pm

It falls under the category of “RIVALRY.” And it makes being a fan fun.

124. Adam

September 20, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Very curious move today to bring up Beachy. JJ’s knee better be falling off cause I know if JJ played for the Phils and a pitcher bailed on a game like this tonight he would never hear the end of it from fans. Imagine if Cole did the same thing…we would be killing him for it.

With that said, this may be a bad thing for the Phils. We make young pitchers look like the next Cy Young and this kid has awesome numbers in the minors (sub 2.00 era). I have little doubt the Phils will struggle in the first few innings tonight.

If I were the Phillies I would let the Phils fans get involved early. Meaning, take a few pitches. Work out some works. Make this guy get nervous and then let the fans completely spoke him (think CC Sabathia, Santana earlier this year). We as fans specialize in inducing walks to our pitches. If we rattle this kid there is no doubt we win the game.

The last few years I have been happy to win the division by a game or do whatever it takes. For some reason I just want the Phils to annihilate the Braves. I want the Phils to embarrass them. I want the final three games of the season to be a tribute to Bobby Cox with pitching match-ups like Hudson v. Vance Worley.

125. Chuck

September 20, 2010 at 4:33 pm

JJ doesn’t have to worry about hearing it from the Braves fans…because they really don’t have any.

126. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 20, 2010 at 4:39 pm

ADAM I AGREE-HE COULD PITCH,JUST SEEMS LIKE A BIT^H MOVE TO ME…….CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT THE ROOK WILL BE FEELING ON THE MOUND TONIGHT WITH THAT ATMOSPHERE,RALLY TOWELS GOING CRAZY……LOL GOOD LUCK KID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

127. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 20, 2010 at 4:41 pm

THE FANS NEED TO BE IN HIS HEAD EARLY AND OFTEN!!!!!!!!!

128. Phillistein

September 20, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Braves fans are twits.

Give Yankee, Mutts, and Red Sox fans credit – they’re animals and they have cojones.

Like us.

Braves fans – twits

I hear Chicago fans can get in your face……but, Cubs?

Guess we’ll never know

September 20, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Quick! Ssomebody give our guys video on this rookie!! Seems like a planned move by the Braves to throw us off! I hope we kick their butts today

130. Desibrave

September 20, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Hello All, I feel pretty sorry for all those phillies fans out there , but guys no one in ATL is worried about Braves right now.., I feel sorry for you as you are eagerly waiting for some good baseball..,

Its so sad but it is true, not a single soul even talk show guys talking about Braves in ATL.,

Of the few braves fans left out there no one likes Bobby cox.., and not a single soul is going to turn in for Bobby cox’s tribute night..,

Well the last 3 games against the Phillies were sold though ..looks like the phillies fans bought all the tickets.,

131. Desibrave

September 20, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Braves fans bloggin on AJC website are very happy with the Beachy start today btw.., After JJ’s struggles recently.. they would rather have someone new .,

BTW you might get to view Braves future closer phenom in Craig Kimbrall

132. Desibrave

September 20, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Also hearing that this is a move by Braves to save Mike Minor’s sore arm.., Jair could go tomorrow instead is what i am hearing from some rumors,

133. Bruce

September 20, 2010 at 5:24 pm

@ Chuck: “..“He (Werth) worked hard all his life as a player and deserves to be able to have the opportunity to set himself and his family up for life.”

Huh? PUH..leze! You want us to think that a MULTI-millionaire needs many more millions to..set himself and his family up for life? (chuckles)

He is in a profession that is all fun and games and is ridiculously rewarded so that he won’t have to work a day in his life. That’s the entertainment business whose motto should rightly be “Greed is Good”. LOL

134. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 20, 2010 at 5:29 pm

DESIBRAVE-JJ WILL NOT START ANY GAMES THIS SERIES……

135. sportsphan

September 20, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Bad news for us. The Phillies have a history of not being able to hit pitchers that they haven’t seen before. This may be another night that Cole gets no run support.

136. Chuck

September 20, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Again…

the hypothetical:

$36 M guaranteed money?

OR…

$70M guaranteed money?

That’s what I asked earlier.

You’re telling me that if someone offered you, Bruce, about TWICE as much money GUARANTEED…that you would turn it down??

137. Chuck

September 20, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Bruce, let me put it another way…

If I was Werth…and the Nippon Ham Fighters offered me TWICE as much as the Phillies to hit a white ball with red stitches….I would make sure my passport was up-to-date.

138. jeff

September 20, 2010 at 5:53 pm

5 million would make his life better. give me a break people. most of us make 100 or less a year. we survive. i had another company offer me 10 more then who i work for. i told my boss and they said they cant match it. im very happy where im at. 10 more would be huge to me and my family. i like the place i work for and they have been good to me. im staying. end of it. only if these slime ballplayers did that. dont think so.

139. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 20, 2010 at 5:54 pm

SPORTSPHAN-I THINK TONIGHT WILL BE DIFFRENT BECAUSE THE BANK’S ATMOSPHERE WILL BE ENOUGH TO CARRY US,PLUS THIS GUY’S GOING TO BE PUKING BEFORE THE GAME….LOL

140. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 20, 2010 at 5:54 pm

T-MINUS 1 HOUR AND 8 MINS AND COUNTING

141. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

September 20, 2010 at 5:56 pm

JEFF WE ACTUALLY AGREE ON SOMETHING………

142. Chuck

September 20, 2010 at 5:58 pm

What if the other company offered you TWICE what your present employer pays you, jeff?? You’d walk.

That’s my point. If werth is offered twice…or a whole lot more guaranteed money …then he’s not wrong for taking that offer.

143. BravoMan

September 20, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I’m not so sure it’s Jurrjens or Cox and McDowell who postponed his start tonight. My God, if the kid can’t go, he can’t freakin go. Jurrjens is a warrior and has proved to his team and the fans that he is.

On the other hand, IF he did weasle out, as some here assume, than yes, he’s a puss and should be dealt this winter, imo. I have my doubts about that, though. Cox is WAY overprotective of his players and their health, so that’s my take.

Desibrave, I know. It’s bad in Atlanta for baseball. Mercy they’re awful baseball people. Very good team and Chipper Jones has to shoot a video urging fans to come out. That’s pathetic in my view.

144. BravoMan

September 20, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I’m telling y’all right now that if the Phills don’t win tomorrow with Halladay going against a worn down rookie pitcher who isn’t all that to begin with, than may God have mercy on their souls.

Mike Minor has been horrendous. Good inning, bad inning, ok inning, disasterous inning……

145. pheeling it

September 20, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Bravoman I think I’d rather face Jurrjens than an unknown, these Phils have problems with new, young pitchers.

While I was originally talking about Werth, I change topics, we gotta beat down the Braves tonight, and I can’t wait for the game.

Hopefully Cole Hamels pitches like he was still pitching a shut-out streak and we hit the crap out of this no-name. Umps always seem to give new guys an advantage. Especially against the Phils, tonight may hold some called strike 3’s.

Tonight is cruical, it totally knocks out the Braves in my opinion because the next two games a W’s as well. Let’s beat em up early and let Cole do the talking.

GO PHILLIES!!!!!!

146. pheeling it

September 20, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Halladay always tears up the Braves. Extra day rest??? He’s the CY YOUNG. It’s over tmw…

147. pheeling it

September 20, 2010 at 6:34 pm

CBP is going to be LOUD tonight.

Let’s go PHILLIES!!!

Let’s go PHILLIES!!!

148. miked63

September 20, 2010 at 6:39 pm

GAMEDAY THREAD ????????

149. pheeling it

September 20, 2010 at 6:49 pm

jeff says- 10 more would be huge to me and my family. i like the place i work for and they have been good to me. im staying. end of it. only if these slime ballplayers did that. dont think so.

I agree basically that at what price is happiness and history! Have 28 retired, Jayson knows this team is going to win it all!! We got money I don’t want to hear it. Isn’t winning the classic earn a bonus? Sign one of those contracts. Phuck Scott Boras

Just sign for a NICE contract and let’s become the Fightin’ Titan’s Phils. The big red machine?? TRY 4 WORLD SERIES. Titans status.
    Stay in Philadelphia Jayson and let’s make history.

It’s Jayson’s thread I had to throw it in there.

150. pheeling it

September 20, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I think Ruben is seriously messing up if he can’t secure a nice deal….short term, long term.

WIN FIRST AND MORE MONEY COMES LATER! Every walk-off increases stock? Let your money sit and let’s get you more Scott Boras!

There’s not a seat in the house empty, everyone loves to see this kid.

Cuddyer? Someone agree with me.

151. Phan in the outfield

September 21, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Until this happened, I honestly thought we had a chance of keeping him b/c he wanted to stay.

I wanted to let this news pass and let everyone get the anti-Werth b.s out of their systems. I’m SO damn sick of reading it, esp since the vast majority of it is utter nonsense. I thought I’d read & digest the posts, then say something. But Chuck said it well to the beginning of the posts:

“I am willing to state right now that next year….when the Phillies don’t have Werth….and have this gaping hole in their line-up….that most people that are bashing and trashing him now…are gonna be whining and complaining that the Phillies didn’t do enough to keep him.”

Beyond that, I hope everyone watched last night’s game as the “JHey Kid” missed catching Victorino’s fly ball in RF. That should be just part of the lessons we learn as Phillies fans about putting a superstar rookie in RF. This isn’t a great time for them to be learning.

We should also keep in mind the reason Jayson Werth hired the monster that is Scott Boras: exactly because of the Phillies FO. Anyone who doesn’t believe this is flatout deliberately not looking at reality. They’ve treated him like crap and expected him to take it when nobody would or should take it. In ST Werth said more than once that he wanted to stay in Phila. Meanwhile the FO signed Victorino, Rollins, Blanton & opened the moth-ridden Mainline bank vaults to let Howard walk in, 18mos in advance of anything that could be considered necessity. But they couldn’t bring themselves to sit down and talk to Werth’s agent, Jeff Borris.

What would you do? Likely you’d believe your current agent may have rubbed them the wrong way, and now the FO didn’t want you at all no matter what they said in the papers. You now have no choice but to make the best of a situation you already made clear you did not want to happen. And when you have to move your children, and play for a team you prob don’t want to play for – well you go for the money. Everyone would do the same thing.

Wherever he winds up, I hope he gets big bucks, plays well, is an asset to the team, enjoys himself, and never looks back.

152. Family and General Practice in North Carolina

October 10, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Bruce, let me put it another way…