2010 Game Recaps

Werth Walks Off For 7-6 Phillies Win

It was a frustrating first eight innings. Countless opportunities gone by the wayside and a Joe Blanton start turned ugly with one pitch. In the end, none of that mattered because a ninth inning rally gave the Phillies their seventh straight victory. Four runs in the final inning, capped by a Jayson Werth two-run, dead-center home run that gave the Phillies an epic comeback win over the Nationals.

Drew Storen quickly learned what this team is all about as he came on for the save up three runs. A 6-3 deficit became 6-5 in a hurry as Ryan Howard brought home two runs with a single to left-center. Placido Polanco, who led off with a single, and Chase Utley who doubled, both scored. Jayson Werth then unloaded.

To one of the deepest parts of the ballpark, Werth gave it just enough of a ride to clear the high fence near the 409 mark just to the left of dead center field. Werth admitted after the win that he hadn’t been performing in the clutch, but this ending certainly helps.

Blanton was cruising through the first few innings before it all went wrong. He gave up a solo home run to Willie Harris in the third, which was his only blemish until the sixth. In that inning, he gave up a leadoff single to Ian Desmond and then a walk to Adam Dunn, before Mike Morse crushed a ball to the opposite field and into the seats. The home run gave Washington a 4-3 lead, which would swell to 6-3 by the eighth. So what, said the Phillies.

As they’ve proven time and again over the last few seasons, you can never leave Citizens Bank Park early, no matter what. Werth’s epic shot secured their three game advantage in the NL East.

1. pheeling it

September 19, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Congrats to Jayson Werth and the Fightin’ Titans.

3 home runs in the last 3 games, I think he found his stroke. Going into the Braves and the Mets at his home ballpark this whole week.

Sign in Philadelphia Jayson Werth. Think about next year! Sign a nice 2 year deal and don’t get Boras. We’ll be at every game to seal your paycheck. I need to buy your jersey, it could be retired as a Phillie!

The Fightin’ Titans are about to rewrite the history books. It starts tomorrow.

2. Wis

September 19, 2010 at 7:21 pm

amazing! what a buzz. I walked into costco in the 7th inning pissed and would not look at my iphone / mlb the whole time. I get into the car and werth is up to bat and its 5-6. so excited my son told me I took my hands off the wheel…hahaha

3. Pingback: Werth Walks Off For 7-6 Phillies Win « Acrylic Sports

4. Andrew from waldorf

September 19, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Great win
    Bring on the Braves

September 19, 2010 at 7:48 pm

WERTH SUCKS WITH RISP!!! Bla bla bla

September 19, 2010 at 7:49 pm

WERTH IS ANTI-CLUTCH!! Bla bla bla

7. Andrew from waldorf

September 19, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Glad he got the hit. Hope he gets hot.
    But it doesnt change the first 147 games and the lowest average in the majors with RISP.

Regardless of what happens the rest of the year hes gone. If hes the worst or the best. And either way its not a bad thing.
    You cant play in 3 straight world series and keep all your players. Why would you want to?

September 19, 2010 at 8:15 pm

9. Ryan

September 19, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Because it worked the other times?

10. Ryan

September 19, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Anyway, I was watching the Yankees game against the O’s today…and the Yankees’ announcers actually thought the Rays won the WS in ’08… That pisses me off so much. I wanted to round-house kick them in the teeth.

11. Kate

September 19, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Bring on the Braves.

If anyone going to Tuesday’s game is getting there early, I’ll be at McFaddens, probably around 5:30.

12. Bruce

September 19, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Werth’s last hurrah before grabbing the money and run to….(name the team willing to shell out the big dough). 😉

13. bacardipr05

September 20, 2010 at 12:14 am

It will be sad to see Jayson go…next year a near 40yo Ibanez, Victorino, and a yet unproven Dom Brown who to me im not exactly sold on yet…

14. Andrew from waldorf

September 20, 2010 at 1:47 am

@ Kate
    Have fun and root root root for the home team.

15. Glutenous

September 20, 2010 at 2:48 am

I loved the fake Phillies fans leaving after the 7th and 8th inning, saying things like, “Whatever, go Eagles!” and the like. These people must be kicking themselves because they missed a hell of a 9th inning rally which was capped off by that beautiful 3-Run stroke by Wertz. I just had a feeling going into the bottom of the 9th that we would make something happen, and then we did. The way Werth fouled a few pitches straight back tells you he was right on it and I almost knew he was going yard. I live about 2 hours north/northwest of Philly so I don’t get to make it to many games, but the two I’ve attended this year have been memorable ones. The other I attended this year was the game against the Mets in early May that was on ESPN where we put a 9 spot up in one inning against Johan.

Lets take two out of three from the Bravos and really apply the pressure. We control our own destiny here so lets hope we keep up this intensity. I still get worried by the shortcomings of the bullpen at times. Madson has been lockdown, and hell, even Lidge has been solid lately. The rest can be pretty shaky at times.

16. Chuck

September 20, 2010 at 9:03 am

I said about a month ago when everyone was b!tching about Jayson with RISP that he would do something big before it was all over. It;s just one game, but we haven’t seen the last.

Also, to Bruce…. “grabbing all the money”…

Why is it that everyone is so against Jayson Werth getting whatever he can in the way of a contract? If a team wants to pay him a lot more that the Phillies are willing to pay….and he takes it….good for him.

He’s worked hard all his life as a player and deserves to be able to have the opportunity to set himself and his family up for life.

You all would so the same thing.

Jealousy maybe??…….??

17. The Original Chuck P

September 20, 2010 at 10:10 am

Jayson’s too good of a player to not be able to hit with RISP… some things you can’t explain and his struggles this year with ducks on the pond fall in that bucket but I will guarantee this; he’s going to hit with RISP again. He’s too good not to…

He’s hitting .292 with 76 RBI and 99 R and he leads the league in 2B. He should have more RBI and that’s the part that is maddening but we’re in first place and if he has figured it out, the steamroller will be in high gear.

I was listening to the postgame and someone mentioned that Jayson said he was watching tape from last year to compare his swing to this year and noticed something… whether he actually saw anything or if it’s just in his head, he’s definitely swinging the bat a little better.

I don’t have a problem with Jayson going after the coin… that’s his prerogative and he has worked hard to get to this point and has overcome a lot of adversity. If he leaves because someone throws him a mega deal, then so be it. If Rube decides that Jayson is expendable (something I don’t agree with), that’s fine. However, if Rube makes a decent offer, I think that it would be in Jayson’s best interest to at least consider it. He’ll reach his potential in Philadelphia… I don’t think he’ll do that anywhere else. We gave him the opportunity to play and I think he would be happiest spending his career here. He has already surpassed all expectations here; he goes somewhere else under a huge contract, that’s a whole different set of expectations to live up to.

Madson was a Boras client and he stayed here… I don’t think Boras is quite the shark that he’s made out to be. I think he’s looking out for his clients’ best interests and if Jayson wants to stay, I think he’ll try to make that happen at a price that makes sense.

18. Bob in Bucks

September 20, 2010 at 10:24 am

Jayson wants to stay, why not, Phillies are a great team and he gets post-season play.
    Jayson wants the money, why not, this is his big chance to cash in.
    Phillies want Jayson to stay, they need a big RH bat.
    Phillies want to make some money, why not?

Problem – Jayson will be the second best OF on the market this offseason (#1 is Crawford). There are too many teams looking to make a move and they will outbid the Phillies.
    However, as Amaro has shown us, there are always alternatives.

This is not a zero sum game. Werth will go to the highest bidder but the Phillies will not have to settle for Brown/Francisco.

19. The Original Chuck P

September 20, 2010 at 11:21 am

I don’t know, Bob… if the Phillies don’t keep Werth, I don’t think they’ll do anything in the OF. If Brown is ready, they have to play him… we can all agree on that, right… but I think it’s important to give him the opportunity to start without worrying about who’s behind him.

I hope Jayson stays but the chances of that happening are slim, I know… they already have a ton of money committed to next year’s payroll. Short of moving a guy like Ibanez or Lidge or Rollins or Blanton, there’s not much they’re going to be able to do to compete. Unless all parties are willing to be creative (listen Jayson, you’ll have to settle for a little less this year but we’ll give you a long-term deal that is substantial on the back end), they’re probably going to be outbid.

20. Bob in Bucks

September 20, 2010 at 11:39 am

Chuck –

I am not sure Brown is ready and I don’t think any of us want an all LH batting order. As to worrying about who is behind him, actually I do want him worrying. The job is not his, he has to earn it. He has potential but he might not make it.

Ibanez will be gone in 2012 and if Amaro sees something that he wants and at the right price I think he will move. However, it is not likely to be via Free Agency as the picking are slim this year. Some type of trade might be the way to go. Ibanez is not going to move but Blanton, Rollins, or others can all go for the right deal.

If you go with Brown you end up with a lineup like this:

If so, LH pitchers will become all the rage in the NL East. You can flip that lineup around as many times as you want, you still have 4 LH, 2 RH and 2 SW. At best you need to platoon Brown. If he does well, then platoon Ibanez but you will need RH bat vs LH pitching.

21. Sam

September 20, 2010 at 11:56 am

dom brown hasn’t proved anything because he hasn’t played at all barely any playing time. He will be fine as a starter, and platoon francisco with him or something

22. Matt Kwasiborski

September 20, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Werth is picking it up as did Howard yesterday. Both have come up short with RISP but Howard’s hit was huge too. People aren’t jealous of Werth making more money next year- it is that we feel that would you rather play for the Phils- a place where you are comfortable, had success or willing to uproot your family and go somewhere where the unknown is greater? He has a chance to set up his family for life no matter who signs him.

Boras simply has outworked the other agents and uses the system the best way. The object of the agent is to get his client the best offer possible. The player’s union wants their players to sign the richest deal no matter who offers it to them. So, Boras puts together these obsecure stats and binders of information to prove to the owners to make the highest offers. Ultimately, it is up to the player but the union also plays a role in this as well.

Take CC and Jason Bay. CC waited a few weeks on the Yankees offer to see what a west coast team could offer. But CC knew full well no one could match the Yankees offer. In fact, it was reported that he turned down 100M from the Brewers. But why didn’t he sign relatively soon if the Yanks were the ones? And same with Bay and the Mets. If he wanted the Mets, he wouldn’t have waited so long because that was the richest offer he had.

If we could somehow move Ibanez or Victorino, then I think we can keep Werth.

23. Bruce

September 20, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Get over with Werth! Enjoy his last days here with the team and then bid adieu. Brown and Francisco for L/R matchups next season is more than adequate. And once Brown adjusts and gains confidence, he will be a 5 tool star playing regularly.

My lineup for 2011:
    *may move up in the lineup later in season once he hits for average.

24. Ryan

September 20, 2010 at 2:11 pm

@ Glutenous

There is nothing wrong with leaving after the 7th or 8th inning, no matter what the score. Most people who do so simply want to avoid traffic. It is ultimately the smart thing to do if that is the case. Those “fake phillies fans,” as you call them, have better things to worry about other than a baseball game.

25. Ryan

September 20, 2010 at 2:14 pm

However Glutenous, I also attended that game against the Mets with the 9-spot and Vic’s grand slam, after walking Moyer with the bases loaded. It was by far the most exciting game I’ve ever been to.

26. Bruce

September 20, 2010 at 5:00 pm

@Ryan: “..no matter what the score.” Huh? You mean you would leave a tied ballgame after the 7th or 8th inning just so you can beat the traffic?? That would not fit my definition of a dedicated fan who love a game of baseball and their team. Dedication is such that they would travel many miles to see the game and stay till the outcome of such a game is decided.