Amaro Talks Werth, 2010 & Age – Phillies Nation
Analysis

Amaro Talks Werth, 2010 & Age

Here are some interesting excerpts from Ruben Amaro’s press conference, which took place this morning at 11 a.m. He addresses such things as the Jayson Werth negotiations, the way the Phillies performed in the postseason, and how they’ll go about getting better.

Amaro on the cost of Werth: “I havent had any discussions with Scott yet…I guess the following question is, ‘do we have enough money to do it and would we like to bring him back?’ I think the the answer to both questions is, yes. However, that’ll kind of depend on what the ask is and ultimately how that’ll affect us on other possible moves we’d have to make to do that.”

Amaro on the length of a possible Werth deal: “I think length is always an issue, it’s probably the most poignant issue, always.”

Amaro on the season the Phillies had: “I think it was a successful year. It was a disappointing finish to the year because our expectations were that we were going to be the World Series champions. That’ll be our expectation next year as well. We did not perform as well as we would have liked when it was time to perform in the playoffs. I think pitching-wise we performed very well, offensively we did not. Defensively we did not, which is not characteristic of us.”

Amaro on the age issues with this team: “I think there’s three elements we have to be ready to handle this offseason. One is our six free agents, we have to deal with those. I think we have to deal with our age because we’re starting to move into and past the, you know, prime ages of production. And I think we have to address the bullpen, because it’s something that could be, or could have been, an Achillies heel.”

Yeah, do I think about the age – I do. Do we have to start filtering some youth into our club? Yes, I believe that too. At the same time, we want to be a contender again, so we have to balance those two things.”

Amaro on changing up the offense a bit: “I don’t know if we have to reconfigure…but I think what we have to do is…frankly, I didn’t like the way we approached our at-bats during the course of these last (few games). We had a two month period where we didn’t swing the bats well at all. Part of that is because we didn’t have our guys playing everyday and we didn’t have, necessarily, our health. And I think that probably contributed to it. But I think overall, our offensive approach – we kind of have to take a look at that and make sure we improve in that area.”

1. Chuck

October 25, 2010 at 12:39 pm

97.5 FM aired the presser and cut into it right in the middle of it. Is there/will there be a full audio or video of it?

2. Chuck

October 25, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Thanks, Ted Bell.

3. Ryan H.

October 25, 2010 at 1:07 pm

i might be the only guy in philly who wants to see werth go. I’ve seen enough prolonged slumps and braindead plays in the field . I want to see dom brown full time. and unless we dump raul, which i can’t foresee happening, that means werth has gotta go

4. The Original Chuck P

October 25, 2010 at 1:08 pm

My first time posting since the game…

It was a frustrating and exciting and intense series. I credit the Giants for grinding out some tough wins… they made every out… every pitch… tough and that’s why they’re playing for a World Series ring. The biggest problem that I have is that we knew that our bullpen wasn’t strong and we did nothing. Two losses in this series were bullpen losses… and the guy that did the most damage in this series, in my opinion, was lefty-killer Javier Vazqeuz, who was picked up at the July 31st deadline. Little moves like that make the difference. Remember Scott Eyre? Also, it would have been nice to see Mike Sweeney get one or two AB’s… I would have rather seen him up there than Francisco with the game on the line. I trust Sweeney to get his ball on the bat and swing… if you have to waste a bench player to get him that AB, then so be it. Who cares what you have left on the bench? That was the biggest AB of the game… man on 3rd with 1 out in a tie ballgame. You get a run there and it puts some pressure on the Giants…

Howard had the second highest OPS of any player on the Phillies in the NLCS. Our bench collectively had one hit. Utley, Ruiz, Ibanez and Victorino all ended up around the Mendoza Line. I mean, don’t get me wrong, Howard deserves a piss poor grade but he wasn’t the biggest reason why we lost this series. Utley… maybe (probably), but it was a team loss.

I invest too much time and emotion into this stuff.

5. Chuck

October 25, 2010 at 1:24 pm

My only REAL beef with Howard is that he didn’t swing at that last pitch. Maybe wouldn’t/couldn’t have done anything with it…but at least swing at the effin’ thing.

Here ya on the “time and emotion” thing…..and to think clowns like BravoMan have the time to post on competitors sites. I don’t get it.

6. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 25, 2010 at 1:53 pm

TAKE THIS QUOTE FOR WHAT IT IS MY FRIENDS-Werth “Its been quite a ride. Definitely had a great time playing in Philadelphia”

7. Karen

October 25, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I would doubt werth will ever be a Philly next year. Boros wants long and expensive deals. Dom brown also has boros so that will be lovely whenever he becomes eligible for extension.

8. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 25, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Werth says he’s in no hurry to make a decision on next season

9. Phan in the outfield

October 25, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I had the same thought Chuck P – re: investing too much emotion, time, even money (t-shirts, etc.) in the Phillies. I’ve been upset even though on some level I suppose I’m willing to admit that I expected the loss (while still hoping the REAL Phillies would show up to save the day). I barely have the time to make these posts. I don’t fool myself, it’s not like anyone cares, but it’s so important to me to see what’s posted & see what everyone is thinking . . . I HAVE to take the time to look, especially now when there are no games. God. No. Games.

In comp. to statements made re: Werth since ST, these sound positive. RAJ began saying we couldn’t field a team of $15 mil/yr players & spent the season not speaking to Werth’s old agent. So perhaps this will end up good. I know, I know – but I’m choosing to believe the best. I think a compromise on both sides is what’s best for the team.

Nobody is against Domonic Brown. He’ll get his opportunity, but it shouldn’t be when he isn’t capable of helping them win. By his own admission he still has a lot to learn & is doing that from Jayson Werth himself. I’ve seen a couple of articles about their friendship & how they work together daily. He says Werth feels like, “a big brother” now. In an ideal world maybe Brown gets to platoon w/Francisco in LF & Werth is still RF, or maybe even CF. I don’t know anymore – I just don’t see the line-up as winning w/o him (not that it hinges on him, but ea player holds an imp spot). And some of his defensive catches in the playoffs were pivotal, they really fired-up Halladay & Oswalt.

10. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 25, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Werth already turned down 4 years, $64 million and then switched agents to Boras.

He’s gone…move on. If there is money to spend, it will be spent on a new RH bat

11. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 25, 2010 at 2:20 pm

RAUL IS GOING TO MAKE 12 MILLION NEXT YEAR…..SAID!!!

12. Phan in the outfield

October 25, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Werth began ST being open about his feelings. He said what he thought: he wanted to stay in Phila, he thought he’d end his career in Phila, he hadn’t thought about doing anything but that. In a way he lived to regret saying that. He got negative PR from the FO & negative stories from the papers & fan blogs much of the summer. Rumors, blame for the team slump, ‘Trade Him’ as a means to end team problems – became a mantra for a while.

Prior to all of that it was probably a no-brainer for him: take the money; stay in Phila. Imo, we can blame the FO for this. They forced his hand. He hired Boras & this is the result. Though after this summer, I’d imagine even w/o Scott Boras as your agent, the way you spoke to the media would alter considerably.

I think the statements JAY posted above likely come from Boras telling Werth to pull back, let the FO guess for a time. He’s looking at ALL offers before he makes a decision. He should be thorough & make sure he’s made a decision he & his family can live with for the next 4 – 5 yrs.

13. Phan in the outfield

October 25, 2010 at 2:24 pm

JAY: Werth didn’t turn down anything. They never spoke to his old agent Jeff Borris. Ck out Philly.com today. No offers were ever made. Seriously, don’t believe their hype.

14. Ted Bell

October 25, 2010 at 2:27 pm

It doesn’t sound like the Werth negotiations will last real long:

“Jayson had a good year. It wasn’t an extraordinary year,” Amaro said. “He had a tough time with men in scoring position. It wasn’t as productive a year as he had in the past. If he is not with us, there are players that we can acquire and or we have in our own organization that can help us be as consistent.”

I’m Ted Bell.

15. The Original Chuck P

October 25, 2010 at 2:53 pm

He had a tough time with men in scoring position… ugh. Negotiations are not starting well, eh?

If they’re going to sign Jayson, it’s going to happen sooner rather than later. If Jayson is allowed to file for free agency, he’s gone… if they can get him before he files for free agency, they have some wiggle room to work out a deferred compensation arrangement. If he goes to free agency, the MLB Players Union will make sure that doesn’t happen.

16. TODDFROMFAIRMOUNT

October 25, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Ryan didn’t drive in any runs, but he has to come off the bag, catch that ball and make sure the second run doesn’t score. I’m sick of those crap plays by him. Oh, and hit a Fn homerun will ya. I and alot of Phans that sucked it up and spent alot of $$ during the dark late ’80s and late ’90s and pissed away so much time and effort on this team, deserve endless spending by the club these days. The ownership needs to go into their pockets now like we have for all these years even if it means taking a loss for the next few years (plenty of time to make up a loss later with CBP not going anywhere). I’m not asking them to go over the luxury tax limit like the yankees. The 2011 tax limit is 178 million, our payroll needs to be 178 million, especially after the price increase of 2010 and the revenue the team has made across the board this season. Next season will be another 81 sellouts plus post season again. The money will continue to roll in, so do not let me hear about any payroll less than 178 million. And one more thing, Ryan, hit a f#%king homerun and catch the ball next year. Unreal.

17. branderson

October 25, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Whats all this talk about wasted time and effort?

that’s what makes our fanbase so great: the time and effort we put in. Expecting championship is just ridiculous. Is that the only reason you put in “time and effort” to see a ring.

Maybe it’s just me but I put “time and effort” for the love of the game and the team, last or first. Been putting in just about the same amount for the past ten years.

Re-evaluate why you’re a Phillies fan maybe.

18. Phan in the outfield

October 25, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Hahaha – wow, RAJ is really shoveling.

Werth holds the Phillies’ postseason record for homers (11) , extra-base hits (21) and total bases (82), & he lead the NL in doubles this season, & holds the NL’s postseason record for homers (13, tied w/Edmunds, Jones & Pujols, but JW did it in fewer games).

Lidge, Howard, Rollins, & Utley were quoted in a Mark Bowman article at MLB.com. Of course Utley was of interest b/c they’re best friends & Rollins is always fun. “There’s a good chance he will [be back],” Rollins said. “It’s 50-50 if he is or he isn’t. … He’s been big. He’s had big hit after big hit, defensive plays. He’s been a great guy in the clubhouse and a great team person. On top of that, he’s a good guy. Those are the kind of guys this club is built on — good guys who can go play baseball.” Werth’s closest friend on the club, Chase Utley, said that he’s not sure what the future holds for the veteran outfielder. The second baseman confirmed he hasn’t given up hope of Werth returning, and Utley will certainly spend the next couple weeks and months lobbying for Werth’s return. “Jayson’s a very good friend of mine, and he’s also a pretty good player,” Utley said. “I don’t know what’s in his future, but I’d like him to come back here, that’s for sure.”

19. TODDFROMFAIRMOUNT

October 25, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I wouldn’t say wasted time an effort, but it seems like it so fresh off the game Sat. The fan base is great, but the ’08ers won’t be there to foot the bill when we don’t make the playoffs 2 years in a row, so now is the time to capture as much glory as we can. Us die hards will still be there when we don’t make the playoffs, but they need to continue to compete at this championship level for as long as possible.

20. Andrew R.

October 25, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Thank-you TODDFROMFAIRMOUNT. Howard makes some really shitty plays in the field. Plays where he doesn’t get the error, but they’re plays a college kid makes. I’ve seen twice this year where he holds a runner on first with a righty up and when the pitch is delivered he takes ONE step off first and the ball scoots under his “diving” glove. He needs to learn how to play the position.

Ryan H, you are not the only one that wants to see Werth go. I don’t want him into his mid-30’s. Another year or two, but that’s it. Let him walk. I think Francisco could maybe be an everyday player. Victorino and Werth platooned with Jenkins, Rowand and Burrell. They eventually fought their way into a position and I think Francisco might be able to do the same. When you come in to pinch-hit once in a while, you sometimes try to do too much and that’s what it looks like with Ben.

I wouldn’t mind eating $7-8M of Raul’s contract and take the $3M savings and invest it in a solid OF for one-year. Do we dare think about bringing Burrell back??? We could have a nice rotation of Pat, Ben and Dom out there. Burrell cranked 18 homers in a pitcher-friendly park and he seems to be moving a little bit better now that his foot is finally healed. It’s a thought.

21. Dennis

October 25, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I’m not going to sit here and bash anyone on the Phillies, sure I’m disapointed, and yes they fell short, but it was another great ride. I remember when October baseball wasn’t even a thought in the town. I remember sitting at The Vet night after night with 12,000 people. I remember the days before it was “cool” to be a Phillies fan.

So to the Phils I say thanks and there’s always next year. Such a bad cliché but one that is true.

So be angry and trash everyone on the team, championship’s should be expected when when you have 3 aces and you’re watching the greatest shortstop, 2nd baseman, 1st baseman, and yes even catcher in team history. But also remember that this franchise has only been crowned “World Champions of Baseball” twice in over 120 years, this is a great time to be a Phillies fan. See you next year!

22. Dennis

October 25, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Also this should be a very fun & interesting off season and I look forward to seeing what they do. I have complete faith that Amaro will put the best possible team on the field and we will win our 5th straight NL East title and get another shot at this thing…

23. The Original Chuck P

October 25, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I don’t think that I’ve wasted my time but at some point, you have to stop and ask yourself, “Why can’t I just root for the home team during the games and live my life normally the rest of the time?” I think, for me, that point was no more evident than it was this weekend. I didn’t know what to do with myself on Sunday because I was so heartbroken from Saturday night and I was so convinced that there would be a magical game 7. It was a very weird Sunday and today is the first day that I’ve really talked about it. It’s like I’m grieving… I’m just coming to grips with the fact that we won’t be playing on the biggest stage. The Giants definitely deserve all the credit but the “what ifs” and “whys” are definitely there. What if we didn’t have to trot Oswalt out there? What if Sweeney bats instead of Ben Fran? What if Howard’s borderline “caught looking” was called a ball?

24. TODDFROMFAIRMOUNT

October 25, 2010 at 4:32 pm

TOCPSAYS, That is exactly how my last 2 days have gone. It was such a beautiful day yesterday, I was sure there would be at least one more game. Hurtin’ for sure. Also love th Ashburn Award, couldn’t have loved a team more than this ’10 version.

25. The Dipsy

October 25, 2010 at 5:27 pm

@ Original Chuck, Phan: When you talk about investing too much time in the Phillies, and this goes for any other team anybody wants to root for, isn’t it true that the hours upon hours of joy that they bring you outweighs the pain, inordinate as you feel it may be, of losing? “Fan” is short for “fanatic” and for good reason. You two certainly fit in this category. The ascent is much more rewarding than the fall is painful, isn’t it? There are many unsavory, unwholesome, destructive, or unfun interests that one can can indulge. Loving the Phils is not one of them.

I attended Villanova in 1985 when we won the NCAAs and I experienced the heights of extasy. It was like the rapture had come. It still remains the greatest day of my life (don’t let anyone give you that “day I got married” or “birth of my first child” crap. A true sports fan’s greatest day is sports related)

Converesly, when the Eagles lost to Tampa Bay in the ’03 NFC Championship game, I wanted to jump off a bridge. I DID lapse into a depressive episode that coincided with the loss. I DID go see a shrink and i DID get some medicine. While the shrink attributed my condition to a “chemical imbalance”, I will always believe that that game caused it Not to worry all, I’m fit as a fiddle now. In hindsight, I’m sure I could have handled it better.

Without the bitter, the sweet never tastes as sweet. You’re merely paying the price of true fandom. Grieve all you want and take solace in the fact that next year we will be back.

GO PHILS!

The Dipsy

October 25, 2010 at 5:52 pm

I think we should let it play out with Frisco/Raul/Brown and Shane… if things aren’t going too well, there’s always the trade deadline… or we could pick up next year’s Pat Burrell or Cody Ross… ? Who knows.

27. Chuck

October 25, 2010 at 6:06 pm

I need to address this whole “time and effort” thing…cause something branderson said sticks in my craw.

However….I am off to a meeting and need to table it til later.

I will say this, though. branderson…you’re waaayyy off-base here.

28. biz

October 25, 2010 at 6:45 pm

# TODDFROMFAIRMOUNT Says:
    October 25th, 2010 at 2:58 pm

__________

Another clueless fan.

If Utley didn’t make error after error this series, we win. Utley was the problem. And let’s not forget the ball that bounced of his thigh and was ruled a hit. And how he missed the ball in game 6 allowing the Giants to tie it up. Oh yeah, that .200 average wasn’t much of a help, either.

Utley, not Howard, was the reason our season is over.

He made 8 errors in 9 games, forget what the official scorer called them. When a ball hits your thigh, it’s an E. When it goes under your glove, it’s a E.

Utley is the golden boy around here, and I’ve caught hell for saying this in the past, but there is no player on this team more overrated than he is.

29. bacardipr05

October 25, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Just a simple though Ibanez over inflated contract is what is holding us back. If we sign Werth with the other players we have to sign make room for we will be approaching Yankee territory for a year. This is nothing personal against Raul. Also Blanton is a little overpaid. Their has to be some changes here this team cant hit breaking pitches and it has been revealed last year.

30. Phan in the outfield

October 25, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Thanks Dipsy. You’re right. Honestly I didn’t mean I’d rather be w/o the enjoyment of the team & everything that goes w/it. I was kind of just thinking out loud about how difficult it always seems when a team you love loses. Knowing their capabilities, I had expectations. And even though as an adult (most of the time, anyway), stupidly there are still things that don’t seem to feel easier with adulthood. Sometimes I’m able to laugh stuff off. Other times – I don’t know.

I love reading what everyone has to say, the different thoughts & feelings on the team & how much a part of their lives the team is. I won’t stop reading or stop paying attention to the team either, or stop flicking to MLB every chance I get to see if anything important has happened. (Or stop hoping they re-sign Werth . . . heh heh . . . until it’s done one way or the other – there’s always that 4-letter word HOPE).

31. Phan in the outfield

October 25, 2010 at 7:29 pm

biz: I hear ya with the Utley comments.

I wouldn’t call him “overrated” though. Imo, that’s a bit strong. The man has earned his rep. There’s a lot to be respected there, both as a player & seemingly as a person too. He seems to be a real square guy.

I just think he had a bad year. Okay a really bad year. But because it was Chase Utley the Philadelphia sports writers & fans alike had a hard time saying this in any way shape or form (in fact in some cases they outright were never able to say it). Others got called out for every tiny thing. It seemed obvious to me. He IS the golden boy. No two ways around it.

October 25, 2010 at 8:29 pm

biz- I get what you’re saying, Utley disappointed me too, but I just have too much experience with hand injuries to believe that he ever totally healed. Hopefully he had better doctors than I did, and he’ll recover fully this offseason. I can tell you this, hand injuries can mess with your confidence and mind. I know it sounds like I’m making excuses, and he must be held accountable for his play, just like the rest of the team. I just have personal experience with this type of injury.

Now you know that I am a staunch supporter of Ryan Howard, but he does not get a pass from me this postseason. True, he didn’t play as bad as Utley, but you have to admit he still fell well short of his potential. I have said for the past couple of days, my three favorite Phils- Howard, Chooch and Victorino all played way under their ability level. There has to be accountability.

That said, These Phillies will always be my team as they have for the past 40 years through thick and thin.

33. brooks

October 25, 2010 at 8:30 pm

branderson, congratulations. You have joined the “too many” people on this site that “pidgeon hole”.

Re-evaluate why you’re a Phillies fan maybe. ??

Phils led the NL in attendance this year because they are a winning club. Maybe a third (probably more) would not have come out to the park if the Phils were doing mediocre but does that make you a better fan (if you do go to games)? Everyone has their motivation but we are all (mostly) fans here. We have our highs and our lows here, we scrape, whine & we celebrate together. We love our Phils, get on each others nerves (where’s my bud Andrew?) but why judge someone because they don’t feel the same way as you about the game? Who gives you or anybody else the right to tell someone they are not a real fan because they don’t see things the same way you do?

And for the record, I FULLY EXPECTED the Phils to win it all this year.

October 25, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I don’t like what I’m hearing on the Jayson Werth front at all. It doesn’t sound like he’s staying here. I hope I’m wrong.

“Those fans in right field; I’ll probably never be in that position again … I’ve had the best time of my career playing baseball in this city … I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get to play with guys like this again,” Werth said.

35. The Dipsy

October 25, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Lefty – Don’t you think all this “thank for the memories” chatter just might be a bunch of bargaining baloney?

The Dipsy

October 25, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Well stated Dipsy

“Without the bitter, the sweet never tastes as sweet.”

The emotional attachment we give is our choice, we give because we love the game, and our team. I’ve been giving for 40 years since I was in my mid teens. Bring on the pitchers and catchers of February, can’t get here fast enough.

BTW- I’ll take your smack for quoting the young man, but don’t misjudge youth for lack of talent, Corey is a very, very talented wordsmith and deserves my praise just as all the writers here on PN do.

October 25, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Dipsy -Yes of course it’s all practiced bargaining technique. Scott Boras prepped him well for the presser. But it’s all we have to go on right now. It doesn’t look good right now, maybe it;s smoke and it will change. I hope so.

38. The Dipsy

October 25, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Of course Corey is good – you out there, dude? – but he’s like a kid, isn’t he? I cannot take credit for that quote. Its from “Vanilla Sky”. Drop some acid and watch it some time 🙂

The Dipsy

39. Chuck

October 25, 2010 at 9:26 pm

branderson, concerning your “time and effort” comments: In a word or three…How dare you??!!

I made a comment, responding to Original Chuck P, basically saying that I understood what he was saying when he said, “I invest too much time and emotion into this stuff.”

I agreed with him and said that I understood. We all have lives that goes way beyond the Phillies. There are days that I am so busy with things in my life…work, family, more work, more family….yet I take the time just about EVERY SINGLE DAY to visit this site and make comments. I enjoy it. I believe in it.

So don’t come on here and make the statements,

“Maybe it’s just me, but I put “time and effort” for the love of the the game and the team, last or first.”

and…”Re-evaluate why you’e a Phillies fan maybe.”

also…”Expecting championships is just ridiculous. Is that the only reason your put in time and effort, to see a ring?”

You make it sound like the rest of us aren’t as big of a fan as you….and that all we do is to expect championships all the time.

40. The Dipsy

October 25, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Branderson – so you’ve been a fan for ten years? Good for you. So I guess you’re in college now? You probably have no idea what its like to root for a team that has NO chance of winning anything. AND with owners who could give a good god damn about doing anything to change it for fear of not turning their expected profit. This was ownership about 10 years ago. Right before CBP park opened, the owners HAD to go out and get a name so they got Jim Thome. Whoppdee doo. The 10 years before that were galling and horrible. No player wanted to come here and the owners had no real interest in signing a good player. This is the only time I walked from the Phils. That was for the three years or so that I perceived that no one in the Phils brass cared about winning. And they didn’t. Then, the minor league system had the nerve to force a nucleus of good players on the owners (Rollins, Utley, Howard, Hamels) along with a GM who took two players off the scrap heap (Victorino and Werth) and next thing you know, ownership was in the uncomfortable position of having to manage the payroll of a good team and live up to some type of expectation. Because, make no mistake about it, the owners stepped in shit with this team. Then the additional revenue came in from the new park and having a good product and “all was right with the world and didn’t we do such a great job”. Eff them. I could always countenance bad players trying to win for a team that cared but what I couldn’t stomach were owners that didn’t give a damn. And they didn’t. And one day, they won’t again.

So you’re a fan, huh? I hope you enjoyed the season.

The Dipsy

41. Psujoe

October 25, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Ugh, can’t see comments from iPhone, but can post.

42. Kate

October 25, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Just because it needs to be said, if anyone had been in scoring position for that .303 average Howard cranked out this postseason, we all might be worrying about Halladay’s groin right now.

If Howard choked, then Utley choked TO DEATH.

But it’s all good. It happens. I’m still proud of this season. How can I not be, with ninety-seven regular season wins and another five in the postseason?

I still think Charlie deserves Manager of the Year.

43. brooks

October 25, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I read a book not too long ago about the history of the Phils from just before 1900 to 1950. What a mess! Other than the 1915 WS, they considered being in the upper “tier” in the standings a barometer for how well the season went. And they lost plenty – as soon as the owners would start to develop someone decent, off he went for money. We’re talking from 1918 until 1949, 31 straight years with only 1 winning season to show for their efforts (1932 with the great Chuck Klien and a 78-76 record).

There definitely would be riots if the Phils would start that type of mess… we are living in good times!

44. bacardipr05

October 25, 2010 at 11:29 pm

I also was perplexed to say the least why Sweeney wasnt allowed to bat. I think the man deserved at least one if not at least two at bats. ?????????????????????????PERPLEXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. brooks

October 25, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Yea bacardi, especially when Gload kept getting all the chances and doing absolutely nothing at all.

46. ActuallyChilled

October 25, 2010 at 11:47 pm

honestly everytime i saw gload coming up, i couldnt help but seriously loose enthusiasm. i wasnt sure if i was the only one. go phils 11.

47. ActuallyChilled

October 25, 2010 at 11:48 pm

stairs was a game changer. perhaps, in the right moment this man could have been sweeney. i believe thats why he was on the roster.

48. Bruce

October 26, 2010 at 12:08 am

I noticed that comment from Amaro..need..”to start filtering some youth into our club..”. I think he has Domonic Brown in mind to play regularly for the club sooner than later. I, for one, will look forward to see him in right field next season. As a baseball fan, it’s always intriquing to see a fresh young player making strides and having a impact on the team. It would not surprise me to see him come on strong later in the season and make a serious bid for Rookie of The Year award. Werth who? Time to move on.

49. brooks

October 26, 2010 at 12:12 am

Definitely one of the all time favorite memories of Phils playoff history.. Vic hit a home run too but that bomb took the life out of the Dodgers

50. bacardipr05

October 26, 2010 at 12:38 am

Gload is a good hitter however he wasnt getting it down this time….Cholly should gave Sweeney a chance…this is a 5x all star we talking about…Bruce it could mean Raul

51. Bart Shart

October 26, 2010 at 2:14 am

Something is wrong with Utley, and I hope it is not serious. He was terrible in post season play, especially on defense. Maybe he needs to move to the outfield and we need to go after Dan Uggla to play second base?

52. Bart Shart

October 26, 2010 at 2:16 am

I am assuming that Werth is going elsewhere next year. I have no hopes that the Phils will keep him for the money he expects. He will be missed, and I wish him well. It is time for Dom Brown.

53. bacardipr05

October 26, 2010 at 2:58 am

Bart i noticed a lot of double triple clutches and flinches almost as he was nervous or something was wrong…

54. Ted Bell

October 26, 2010 at 4:36 am

A few of the beat writers have been throwing around names of some possible OF acquisitions for 2011. Among them are Jeff Francoeur, Matt Diaz, and our old pal Aaron Rowand (with the Giants picking up a big portion of $$).

I’m Ted Bell.

55. Kate

October 26, 2010 at 8:10 am

Well, if we get Matt Diaz, at least the fans will think twice before jumping onto the field.

The fact that he’s a good player is just icing on the cake.

56. Chuck

October 26, 2010 at 8:32 am

Ross Gload pinch hit because of the lefty right matchups. You gotta play the percentages there. And….two of the 5 outs he made were almost hits…one deep in the hole at short and the other the line drive that Huff caught. I have no problems with the use of Gload in this series.

——

Do I have to like Jeff Franceour if he’s a Phillie?

57. Bob in Bucks

October 26, 2010 at 10:35 am

“Time and effort” – we are fans and most of go with the highs and lows. That is the beauty of the game, lots of chances but in the end there is only one winner. Phils had/have a great team. Everyone has the answer of “could’ve, should’ve” after the game/season. But the fact is the Giants pitching was great. The last pitch was a super slider. I love the game, I loved that last at-bat. Did you see all the people in the stands reflecting your fears and worries on their faces. Count went full and Howard fouls off a pitch and you take another breath because you know in a few seconds it call all be over….or not. Howard coudl strike out, he could hit a walk-off or he could walk and bring up Werth. This was a great moment, unfortunately not for the Phils but still great baseball. I loved/hated it but I would not give it up for anything.

58. Kate

October 26, 2010 at 10:41 am

And of course the home plate ump finds his glasses long enough to end the series on a good call while they’d spent the rest of the series blowing calls left and right on both sides.

Even with a heartbreaker like that, you can’t help but love this game.

59. TODDFROMFAIRMOUNT

October 26, 2010 at 11:02 am

Dipsy, you are right, there will be a day when this ownership won’t care again and thats when all the ’08ers (who I love and the team needs) will stop coming. Thats why now is the time, whatever RAJ decieds to do.

biz, thanks for throwing around “clueless fan”, if you only knew. You reprint my entire post and still didn’t notice I didn’t put the entire blame on The Big Man. He isn’t the only one that cost us of course, no one player could cost us the series. Ok maybe Raul in game one with the botched fly ball that led to two runs and some horrible at bats, just kidding I know the whole team lost this series and Manuel was a big/huge part also, but easy with the clueless comments until you hang out at a game with me sometime.

BTW, In Chase’s biggest at bat of the season, he worked out the walk, Ryan K’d looking. Ouch that hurt.

60. Leandro Goderich

October 26, 2010 at 12:01 pm

available for multiple outings is a good.So many people in here are worried about the Rangers permanently making Holland a reliever (“He was a reliever last year”) when that’s not the case at all.Right here, right now…The Dutch Oven’s best way to help This Thing the World Series is out of the bully.

61. The Original Chuck P

October 26, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Don’t question my fanhood… I have been coming on here and posting my comments for three years. That doesn’t include the time that I spend researching, analyzing, watching, attending, preparing for, recuperating from and absolutely consuming myself in the Phillies. My oldest son is 6 y/o and he can tell you the numbers of every player on the team… including Charlie Manuel. He wakes up every morning and asks me what the score was from the game the night before. He has a dozen Phillies shirts… which is almost as many as I have. Where do you think he gets that from? I attended more games at the vet than I have at the Bank and I’ve been a partial season ticket holder for the past three seasons (and I’m only 28… on paper, I probably don’t have the disposable income for tickets but we make it work). I’m not saying I’m any more of a fan than you but I’m a phan… a phanatic. Whatever you want to call it. I’m there, good or bad. I’m probably the last guy you’ll find on here calling out one of our own. I trust these guys, I respect and admire and appreciate what they’ve done and I absolutely love my team.

Time and emotion was the comment… there are a lot of things that are going on around me right now that should have me in tears. When I’m too upset to enjoy a beautful Sunday because the Phillies lost, I see that as a problem. The best day of my life was the birth of my first born but not too far behind is being there for Game 5, 2008.

I love the Phils… I’m grieving. I guess one beautiful day spent in remorse for my team is ok in the grand scheme of things but it doesn’t make the loss any easier to swallow.

62. Chuck

October 26, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Original….well put, man.

This guy, branderson, pissed me off with his “time and effort” comments.

I’m in the same boat. My 13 year old son and I go to about 12 games a year, including at least one postseason game. We’ve been to Clearwater 3 years in a row and already started talking about 2011.

I go on this site every day and have for a few years myself, including vacation, as well as other blog sites (not as much) and do my additional research as well. I don’t pretend to be an expert but I think I know more than the casual fan out there.

I probably can’t financially afford the tickets I buy either, in addition to the few jerseys, hats and jackets that I have bought. But I am not an extravagent guy in other areas of my life, so I indulge in this one area for myself and my son.

And, I have tons of things in my life that demand my attention between family and work. But the Phillies are important, too, and it’s a great distraction from all the bullsh*t that I deal with. Being a fan helps me cope with all the tough stuff. It’s better than than other “addictions”.

Sunday sucked for me as well. Normally, I would have watched the Eagles game, but I didn’t because it really didn’t freaking matter that particular day.

63. Phan in the outfield

October 26, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Lefty: I’m with Dipsy re: Werth quotes. I said earlier, in my PR exp. Werth was too honest in ST, he said he wanted to stay & thought his career would end in Phila. The FO didn’t speak to the old-Borris. The new-Boras has coached him to talk this way to the press. He’s also told him to “expect to play somewhere else, but HOPE to play in Phila” b/c that’s obviously what he wanted. I still think the jury is out. If they’re ALL smart, they’ll work it out. If they’re not, he’ll go to another team.

For those so happy to see Werth go & thrilled to see Domonic Brown working youthful magic on the team (b/c Werth is so decrepit), pls review Brown’s efforts – less than stellar. Yep, right, he didn’t have enough ABs to judge. Well, he was hitting huge in the minors. If the FO doesn’t strike a compromise w/Werth, then we have to hope Brown learns a heckuva lot in the D.R. this winter & comes back a PRO b/c his lack of hitting & solid RF play won’t do it.

Bob in Bucks: “Howard coudl strike out, he could hit a walk-off or he could walk and bring up Werth.” I thought Howard was paid the big $$ specifically to hit in clutch situations. Of course the problem w/being paid to do that is that he’s only human & being blamed for a bad result in a giant situation is tough to live with. But he has a large contract & an upcoming monstrous contract to guarantee he’ll get over it.

There are prob a huge percentage of people who agree that Howard was probably waiting for a walk to get on 1st, tying the game & letting Werth do the work, ultimately he’d take the flack if he didn’t win the game with one swat. I had to shake my head, they’re probably the same people who think Werth is asking for “too much money” or that he’s “greedy”. Wonder if they think Halladay, Oswalt, Howard, Utley, and Ibanez are greedy?

64. Phan in the outfield

October 26, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Chuck: Eh, the Iggles lost big. Thankfully I didn’t have the heart to watch either. Oh, and the Flyers lost too. Nice — three strikes — we’re out.

65. The Original Chuck P

October 26, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I think that Brown will be fine once he doesn’t have to look over his shoulder. With regular AB’s, he’s going to emerge as a star… baseball america doesn’t miss on their #1 prospects. To that end, I don’t think that Brown should platoon… he’s gotta play every day (sorry, Benny Fresh). That means that Ibanez has to go… which means that we’ll have to eat a lot of his salary. I’m ok with that.

I really hope that we can find a way to keep Werth and be creative… like I said before, it’s going to have to happen soon because the players union won’t allow him to sign any deferred compensation deal as a free agent and I think that the Phillies best hope is to get a deal in place with some back end money. If he does officially file for free agency, our odds of signing him go down… a lot.

66. The Original Chuck P

October 26, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Thanks, Chuck… you’re better than the average fan and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise 😉

I just think that a loss like this puts things into perspective and it makes you wonder why we allow our fanhood to affect our mood state. I think that “WE,” the nation, are very important. We are the lifeblood of this team… and for that reason, we’ll all be here, for better or worse. The highs are great and the lows are low but we all tune in because it’s who we are. Our teams define us and there is no other team that I would pick to define me. I can’t wait until next year… to see these guys come back hungrier and more determined than ever to prove everyone wrong.

67. Kate

October 26, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Brown will be a great ballplayer in the coming years, but I don’t think 2011 is one of them. Lack of playing time + being a young rookie = a few defensive miscues not many of the other guys would have made in his position, Utley’s post-season notwithstanding.

I don’t think my fanhood has affected my mood the past couple of days. Yes, I’m disappointed and sad that we won’t be watching Game 1 from Philadelphia this year, but I’m looking forward to 2011. I’m looking forward to a season without about four seasons’ worth of injuries knocking us down (knock on wood).

I’m looking forward to seeing what our guys do next year. Howard, Rollins, Utley, Polanco, probably Ibanez… They’ll all be fine.

Brad Lidge and Cole Hamels slew the demons of the 2009 season.

Charlie Manuel led the team to ninety-seven regular season wins despite having a new line-up card every five minutes.

They battled, and we battled with them.

There’s something called character. The Phillies have it.

And what’s this about the forty-eight year old playing Winter Ball?