Analysis

Chase of Postseasons Past

To say Chase Utley is having a rough go of it this postseason would be, well, an understatement. After Thursday’s 1-for-4 in the Phillies’ pivotal Game 5 victory, Utley is hitting just .200/.286/.300 in the 2010 playoffs. His lone extra-base hit was a solo home run in Game 2 of the NLDS against Cincinnati, and all of this goes without mentioning Chase’s normally stellar defense has now taken a turn for the quaky. Suffice to say, Chase’s lack of production is concerning.

We’ll leave speculation as to any potential lingering health issues for those more expert in diagnosing such things, and instead look at what makes this 2010 postseason so different for Chase.

Respect once again to the crew at Baseball Analytics for their superb analytical tool and the production of these super spiffy graphics. But before we get to the eye candy, a straight-up look at Utley’s slash stats for the 2008, 2009 and 2010-to-date playoffs.

2008: 14 G, 64 PA, .220/.391/.460, 3 HR, 13 BB (1 IBB), 14 K
2009: 15 G, 66 PA, .296/.424/.648, 6 HR, 12 BB (1 IBB), 12 K
2010: 8 G, 35 PA,  .200/.286/.300, 1 HR, 3 BB (1 IBB), 4 K

Obviously, Chase is at a full series’ worth of games’ disadvantage on ’08 and ’09, and none of these is fully representative of The Man. But this goes beyond the numbers (which are still concerning, small sample and all), because something about Chase just seems off. Well, it does to me, at least.

The first red flag is Chase’s diminished slugging, sitting at a tidy, robust .300, piggybacking on the regular season, when Chase posted a .445 SLG, lowest since his rookie year. Let’s take a look at some of those pretty heat maps now, eh? These are Utley’s SLG on balls in play by pitch location in the postseason.

Top row: 2008, 2009
Bottom row: 2010

There are a couple of interesting things to note here. As 2008 and 2009’s maps show us, Chase cared very little for pitchers trying to paint the outside corner. From the outer third of the plate to the furthest extent of Utley’s balls in play, Chase slugged .560 and .938 in 2008 and 2009, respectively. In 2010, that number plummets to .188, reestablishing the outer edge of the plate as a zone of attack for opposing pitchers. Chase it still putting those outside pitches in play, but is barely inflicting any damage.

Another pattern evident in previous postseasons is Chase’s patience for the fastball. Chase drew 23 unintentional walks in the ’08 and ’09 playoffs, getting himself on base even when his balls in play didn’t fall, making himself effective in ’08 despite the .220 average. When Chase did get a pitch to hit – a fastball anywhere in the strike zone – he made pitchers pay. Utley’s SLG on fastballs in the zone in the last three sets of playoff series:

2008: .941
2009: 1.286
2010: .222

The Phillies have gotten this far by way of their pitching muscle and a few timely hits, but they’re going to need their franchise second baseman to step up if they want to keep playing.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating trading Chase Utley in any way, shape or form, as a notable radio host seems to advocate considering. That’s lunacy. Just dissecting a cold streak, that’s all. Also, photo of Chase via the AP.

1. Andrew from waldorf

October 22, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Really there are no excuses.
    The day I mention injuries or health issues will be the first time.
    You are what you are.

Who is a notable radio host? Stop listening to them. They are basicly all morons.

October 22, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Maybe if he stands even closer to the plate he could reach out and smash those outer-low corner pitches. And get on base via HBP, otherwise.

3. Philly Geoff

October 22, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I love Mikey Miss…

4. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 22, 2010 at 4:25 pm

SAID!

5. krukdriver

October 22, 2010 at 4:26 pm

For me, it wasn’t the play last night where he couldn’t get it over to Halladay, it was the next one. (For the 3rd out.) After fielding it cleanly, he was extra careful, took his time, and then almost threw it into the Phillies dugout – a lunging grab by Ryan was the only thing that separated Chase from another error. That play bothered me.

I’m at work – the boss it coming – gotta go!

6. Chuck

October 22, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I just heard Mikey Miss “suggest” that a bit ago. I’m not THERE yet….but…

Food for thought, I guess.

SAID!!!!!!!

7. Andrew from waldorf

October 22, 2010 at 5:06 pm

If they lose one of the next 2 anything is possible. Because its unacceptable. The Giants are paying Zito 125 million and Rowand 60 million to not play.

Anyone have a preference for playing at 4 or 8 tomorrow?
    I am thinking 8 s better.

8. Chuck

October 22, 2010 at 5:10 pm

9. Bob Myers

October 22, 2010 at 5:14 pm

8 is better, except Cliff Lee gets more rest before he faces us in game 1.
    A 4PM start means Cliff tires himself out in game 7, which means he probably can’t pitch against us in game 1 of the World Series.

10. Ted Bell

October 22, 2010 at 5:14 pm

I wouldn’t advocate shopping Utley, but if the right deal came along anyone should be available on the trade market…especially a guy on the downside of his career. Let’s face it, putting aside all the warm & fuzzy memories of 2008, most of this current team falls into that category. I don’t know what kind of player Utley will be by 2013 (making $15 million a year), but it sure looks like his best years are behind him. It’s always better to move a guy a year early than a year too late.

I’m Ted Bell.

11. krukdriver

October 22, 2010 at 5:16 pm

For me, it wasn’t the play at first where he threw it past Halladay, (nice backup by Chooch), but the one right after that. (For the 3rd out.) After fielding it cleanly, he almost threw it into the Phillies dugout – only a lunging grab by Ryan separated Chase from another error. That play bothered me. It was like he was having a hard time believing he could make an easy throw to first. I haven’t checked the other threads to see if anyone had comment on that play, or any theories as to what is going on in Chase’s head.

12. Paul Boye

October 22, 2010 at 5:17 pm

You guys are talking as if Utley was David Eckstein this year.

His power numbers were down, sure, but there’s hardly a multi-year trend working here. There’s no chance – none, absolutely zero – that you get fair value in return in a trade. Not worth it, and not practical anyway.

13. krukdriver

October 22, 2010 at 5:18 pm

(sent comment to quick…)

…but… if you know what’s up, fill me in.

14. Chuck

October 22, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Ok…. 4 then.

That means….Yankees are still alive.

Not only does Lee pitch in Game 7 on Sunday and would mean he’s unavailable in WS Game 1 on Wednesday..

But…

It also means that the Yankees would have a shot (albeit a small one) of advancing.

I’m getting ahead of the situation….but I truly believe that the Yankees are a better matchup for the Phils.

However….first things first. Let’s take care of tomorrow.

PHILS IN 7!!!!!!!

SAID!

15. krukdriver

October 22, 2010 at 5:20 pm

…sent comment TOO quick to check my sh*tty spelling!

16. Andrew from waldorf

October 22, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Home fans always over value thier players. Its human nature.

17. Ted Bell

October 22, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Nobody has said he was Eckstein, but Utley’s no longer the best secondbaseman in the game. His BA, SLG%, & OPS have gone down each of the past three seasons. That’s not a multi-year trend?

I’m Ted Bell.

18. Phillistein

October 22, 2010 at 6:00 pm

In 2008 Utley had 33 home runs, 104 RBI, and 177 hits.

In November 2008 he underwent hip surgery.

And frankly, has not been the same player since. There have been flashes at times of the old Utley. However, those that have watched him over the past 2 years don’t know if he’ll ever put up those numbers again.

His slugging percentage went from .566 in 2007 to .508 last year to .445 this year.

Maybe it’s all those HBP, or the fact that he’s the type of player that wears down because he plays at full-tilt.

Whatever the reason, at 32 next year, it’s difficult to imagine him totally regaining that old form.

19. Ryan H.

October 22, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I guarantee that thumb is hurting him. probably not the only thing either. I have a very similar thumb tendon injury that i am dealing with right now. I hurt it a few months back and I figured it would hurt for about a week or so but It still hurts today just as much as the day it happened. It really lingers. and just thinking about gripping a bat and the contact made how it would jolt it makes me cringe. I am telling you most other players wouldn’t even be out there.

October 22, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Rangers look like they don’t want to waste Lee tomorrow. 1-0 bottom 4.
    8pm is best for me anyway.

IMO- Who cares who’s been worse, both Utley and Howard have to come up big now, or they’re going to be on a golf course soon. Ruiz,Vic and the rest of the guys have held the ship steady, now it’s time for the stars to shine on the big stage.

“Let them have it.
    All of them, for real”
    SAID!

October 22, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Ryan H – I have had multiple hand and arm surgeries. Hands,arms are some of the toughest parts of the body to heal. I know first hand (get it) how it feels.

That noted, they are ballplayers, they make a living with their bodies, they have to look at the example set by Doc Halladay and play through it. They don’t get to cringe, they get paid to swing hard and bear the pain so long as it can do no further structural damage. I assume Chase has been cleared by medical staff to play, so play well.

22. ChuckS

October 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm

I think Chase problems lie in the fact that he wants to win so bad that he tries to do everything. He does everything he can to be a leader on the team. When things aren’t going well for the team he tries to over complicate the game by trying to hard. He needs to stop TRYING to be the man, relax, and realize that when he just plays he is the man.

23. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 22, 2010 at 11:14 pm

TEXAS GOING TO THE WS-I AM SOOO GLAD WE PLAT AT NIGHT!!!

24. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 22, 2010 at 11:14 pm

PLAY…LOL

25. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 22, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Alex Rodriguez goes down looking. Beautiful

26. Ryan H.

October 22, 2010 at 11:23 pm

how poetic is that. the guy who left texas for the big money and big spotlight of NYC makes the final out so his old team can go to the world series. shakespeare woulda liked that story.

it’s always so so nice to see the yanks lose. now let’s win the next two so we can get the next shakespearian story of cliff lee vs. his the team that scorned him

27. Philly Texan

October 22, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Phillistein has it right. Utley hasn’t been the same player since the hip surgery.

If you look at the numbers and watch him play the past two years, it’s clearly evident what the problem is.

He doesn’t drive the ball the other way anymore. The only way he generates any power is by pulling pitches on the inner half. That works sometimes if he gets that pitch.

But when he gets a fastball on the outer half of the plate, he can’t do anything with it. Vintage Chase would drive it the other way for a single, double, whatever. Now, he tries to pull everything and is rolling over pitches to second base.

That color graphic above says it all. His only power zone is down-and-in pitches. Almost everything esle, he’s rolling over and grounding out weakly.

He’s one of my favorite players. But we have to fave facts: the guy’s a .270 hitter with average power. Not sure that’s worth the salary.

28. jeff

October 22, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Congrats Texas World Series Champs. Nobody will beat these guys.

God I would trade Howard, Utley and a pack of smokes for Josh.

Hey Howie pay attention thats what a hitter in clutch moments looks like.

BOY

29. bostonkate

October 22, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I hope those yankee bitches have a nice off season. I got a little too much satisfaction out of seeing them lose.

30. brooks

October 23, 2010 at 12:04 am

Maybe I am in the minority here but the only “old” players on the Phils are Raul and Jose. I think Chase has some terrific years left in him and we have not seen the best he has. Same with Jimmy although 07 could have been his best.. 32 is NOT old.

Have Phaith – they are ours for a few more years regardless.

31. bostonkate

October 23, 2010 at 12:18 am

Brooks- I agree with you 100%. Raul, I wouldn’t mind seeing him go. I think chase still has a few good years left in him. He hasn’t been the same since his injuries, which, and I could be wrong, but I think it has contributed to his problems. Give him a few months to rest in the off season and he’ll come back better than ever.

32. brooks

October 23, 2010 at 12:32 am

Before this season started, I was ‘frothing at the mouth’ about the prospects of seeing everyone hit for their potential, even their averages. Chase at about .300 with 20-25 hrs, Jimmy at .290 maybe close to 20 hrs, Vic .285-.290, Howard .275-.280 with 40-45 hrs, 130 (+) rbi, Werth .280 30 and 90 rbi – not even including Poly, Chooch or Raul – no one had to be outstanding, they all are outstanding! Honestly, that is why for the first time I purchased a FSP (I wound up getting 5 partial season plans) –

I still have high hopes for next year, even if Jayson does go on. OK, so I am a ‘Homer’

33. bacardipr05

October 23, 2010 at 12:33 am

Brooks i agree with you…this old ish is a little played out…(slightly exaggerated) Jamie Moyer? anyone….This is baseball not something highly intensive like football…as long as one is in decent shape, eyes work well and no injuries or an accumulation of prior injuries i think age has little do with it..now of course this is within reason…not expecting a 59 year old to be out there…Fact besides Werth and Chooch…everyone of starters is on a downward spiral this year…how or why is this i dont know..even Shane an he is only 29 i believe….

34. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 12:40 am

It’s always nice watching history being made. I’m happy for the Rangers and their fans and Nolan Ryan and all that.

Let’s win Game 6 tomorrow night and Game 7 Sunday and then start feeling a bit queasy about Cliff Lee.

35. brooks

October 23, 2010 at 12:50 am

Agreed bacardi – Jamie Moyer – phenom.
    THe entire team had a power melt, most of them their averages slipped as well and still, they won the NL East because the bats showed just enough, especially at the end to compliment the best pitching staff in Baseball today.

Kate, even if we do lose to Lee – it wont be that bad, after all, its only 1 or 2 games.

36. brooks

October 23, 2010 at 12:51 am

Sorry for keeping on like this – I’m actually a little concerned that if the Phils win games 6 & 7 of the NLCS, the power slumps that have plagued them all season long could suffer them in the WS.

October 23, 2010 at 1:27 am

One game at a time guys and gals.

38. Ryan H.

October 23, 2010 at 3:15 am

we need to get mick billmier back with his binoculars in the bullpen. that’s the problem

39. KEITH

October 23, 2010 at 3:35 am

40. Ryan Hoffman

October 23, 2010 at 7:42 am

Anyone who thinks Utley is a problem, I want you to keep in mind in a season where he saw an awful batting slump for a month from May 17 to mid June, and when he missed nearly 2 months due to an injury which inherently requires it to linger past the time he returns, and by seeing his SLG fall to its lower level since his rookie year, the man still put up a 5+ win season. A 5+WIN SEASON. ARE YOU KIDDDING ME?! He is not mortal.

October 23, 2010 at 9:19 am

First pitch tonight officially 7:57

One game at a time, true that Manny, but just for discussion’s sake.

IF we make it that far, didn’t we know it was destiny we’d face Lee? Didn’t we know the day we traded him that he’d be our nemisis in the WS? I felt it all along, I just thought he’d be moved to the Yankees and that would be the AL champ.

And I don’t think Cliff is superman, very very close, but not superman. He can be beaten, he’s overdue to be beaten in the postseason.
    SAID!

42. Chuck

October 23, 2010 at 9:29 am

Someone earlier used the phrase “team that scorned him” in referring to Cliff Lee’s departure from the Phillies.

Seriously? Scorned?

We now have the best pitcher in the National League, the best comeback pitcher in all of baseball and the best pitcher in a Phillies uniform since he came here at the end of August.

Some people will never be happy I guess.

——-

PHILS IN 7!!!!!!!

SAID!

43. Bob Myers

October 23, 2010 at 9:42 am

I’m turning off Philly Sports Radio since it’s all complaining and whining all the time.

No, I don’t put my head in the sand about this team’s weaknesses, but we’ve got a chance to draw even with a GAME 6 and go to a Game 7.

Can we turn the page from fretting, worrying, and complaining please and focus on what we’ve got going to win game 6?

The NEGATIVITY is ridiculous!!!

44. Bob Myers

October 23, 2010 at 9:44 am

What I meant to include is, it’s a lot more balanced towards the positive on Phillysnation. Let’s keep it that way!

October 23, 2010 at 9:50 am

LOL – So true Bob. Radio hosts want it that way, their opinions are tailored to elicit the negative response, and they screen the calls to get the ones they want.

“If you have a good experience with a service company, you might tell a few people. If you have a bad experience you’ll tell everyone you can”

It’s human nature.

46. Chuck

October 23, 2010 at 10:00 am

I was just talking about that very thing with a supplier of mine the other day…that people feed off the negativity but when it comes to a positive experience they aren’t as apt to gush about it.

And then when too much negativity is surrounding them…they complain about that and don’t understand why they have attracted it….after they just helped to manifest it within their own lives.

Don’t mean to get all “psychological” here. I certainly don’t know all the answers….or even very many of them.

But what I DO know is….

PHILS IN 7!!!!!!!

SAID!

October 23, 2010 at 10:18 am

It’s the same thing with Trolls, sometimes they are even planted by the site themsleves, NOT SAYING PN DOES THAT!!!, but it’s very effective in building the negative. What’s the motive? Advertising likes to see lots of hits. If one troll can cause 20-30 comments on a board, it’s good for business.

“It’s about the money, it’s always about the money”

Phils in 7
    SAID!

48. Bob Myers

October 23, 2010 at 10:50 am

Phils in 7! Yes, that’s what should be resounding on the airwaves and blogs today. Build up our team while they’re in the war. There’s plenty of time to take the season apart later.

We’re one of three teams who have a shot at being World Champions. Maybe we should flood sports talk with positivity.

Mikey Miss is ridiculous to talk about unloading our stars right now. It may be good for advertising, but he’s not a real fan of anyone but himself.

49. Chuck

October 23, 2010 at 11:02 am

And to think that I actually like Mikey Miss. He’s one of the better talk show hosts out there. (the WIP guys suck).

PHILS IN 7!!!!!!!

SAID!

50. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 11:30 am

I honestly think that we need to wait and see what Utley does next year. Same with Rollins. Rollins didn’t have a chance to get into any kind of groove or rhythm this season.

Utley’s struggles are just a little more worrisome, but again, I think he deserves the chance of a completely healthy 2011 to get himself back in the game.

I know they’re getting older and for Howard, he might be having an off-season, but his numbers are still up there. I think he’s just fallen into the trap of trying to up his hitting for average numbers rather than hitting for power.

51. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 11:37 am

Hahahaha! Little Roy continues to climb the Ladder of Awesome!

Question to Oswalt: Do you have a message for the fans or anything in terms of the ones that come to the game tomorrow?

Oswalt’s reply: “They usually do a pretty good job on their own.”

52. Ted Ball

October 23, 2010 at 11:43 am

Utley is an all time Phillie great. He could struggle another few years and it wont change the fact that he was the heart and soul of the greatest Phillies team ever.

I’m Ted Ball

53. The Dipsy

October 23, 2010 at 11:43 am

Utley/Rollins are starting to give me a Trammell/Whitakerish type vibe. They both may be just have turned the corner off their peaks but they’re still damn good. Gotta get Utley into the outfield soon, somehow.

The Dipsy

54. Bart Shart

October 23, 2010 at 11:44 am

Utley gets banged around a lot….he gets hit by pitches, his hand is sore, he plays real hard and he may need a nice long off-season to heal and an occasional day off during the regular season to keep sharp and let his body heal.

October 23, 2010 at 11:55 am

The Dipsy -Why do you want Utley in the outfield?

56. The Dipsy

October 23, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Playing second base takes a much harder toll on a players body.

The Dipsy

57. Chuck

October 23, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Ok, Dipsy..

Going with that…how about this…??

Package D. Brown and Raul (eat his contract if necessary) together for a young, top-flight second baseman.

Resign Jayson at whatever cost the Phillies can get away with (can’t be cheap with the guy). Backload the contract so that when Lidge and Ibanez come off the books after next year it makes sense for both sides.

Put Chase in left.

Ben Fran is still the 4th OF, spelling Chase every 5 games against tough lefties.

PHILS IN 7!!!!!!!

SAID!

58. Chuck

October 23, 2010 at 12:41 pm

^^^^^

And I’m just talkin’ here. Nothin’ more.

59. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Where’s the gameday thread today!!! Slacking!

60. Bob Myers

October 23, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Yeah, we need a gameday thread on here!

61. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 9:17 pm

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

62. Jersey Girl in Savannah

October 23, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Does anyone but me think that the Sanchez incident was staged to take away our momentum because Sanchez was screwing up?

63. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 9:22 pm

NICE JOB LITTLE ROY!!

64. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 9:22 pm

SITE HAS BEEN DOWN ALL DAY GUYS!

65. Mostone

October 23, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I was happier when Oswalt was starting ahead of the batters…

66. jt

October 23, 2010 at 9:35 pm

The phils need to get something gone we looked great early now were looking like that slumping team…roy o doesn’t look lights out…..

67. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Keep the PHAITH, folks! Keep it.

68. Mostone

October 23, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Good job, ROY!

69. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Speaking again of Chase, did anyone catch Pete Rose on the pregame starting with, “Well, if he’s healthy, then maybe there’s something going on in his personal life…”

Ricky Bo shut that sh*t right down. “Not even going there.”

And why did the bullpen even bother getting involved in that benches-clearing, which by the way was the dumbest benches-clearing incident I’ve ever seen.

70. jt

October 23, 2010 at 9:59 pm

now that’s why you send jimmy because we no nobody gonna get big hit…I hope we get a new 3rd base coach perlazzo is terrible.

71. King Gregory

October 23, 2010 at 9:59 pm

This should be a 2-0 game. Victorino and Howard, FAHCK.

72. Terri

October 23, 2010 at 10:00 pm

the offense is offensive.

73. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Could be worse.

Keepin’ the PHAITH.

74. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:04 pm

oh man…you can’t walk burrell

75. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:05 pm

yes! nice K oswalt. but he’s got about 84 pitches now…I hope he can get through 7. need two quick outs now.

76. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 10:07 pm

F*ck Cody Ross.

77. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:07 pm

i hate cody ross. how much more of this guy can i take? NONE.

78. Mostone

October 23, 2010 at 10:08 pm

ay yi yi

79. Terri

October 23, 2010 at 10:09 pm

sigh, it is about to get ugly

80. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:09 pm

sh*t. 2 on. c’mon Roy – buckle down…it’s only renteria now…get a DP ball, pop up or k. the tension is killing me.

81. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:13 pm

jeez…this AB is killing me.

82. Mostone

October 23, 2010 at 10:14 pm

DP!!!!!

83. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:14 pm

utley! FINALLY AWESOME DP TURNED! Go Phils!

84. Terri

October 23, 2010 at 10:14 pm

we have been dodging trouble all night.

85. Mostone

October 23, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Can the bats get something going here? I’ll be honest w/ you folks, I’m not really ready to start paying attention to the Eagles.

86. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:18 pm

RAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLL!!!

87. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:20 pm

ok. man on 3rd…1 out. Francisco better damn deliver.

88. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:23 pm

that’s it. Ben Francisco is a piece of sh*t. he is a scrub. I don’t want to see him back in a Phillies uniform next season. I’m sorry. I have no patience for this crap.

89. Mostone

October 23, 2010 at 10:23 pm

crap

90. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 10:23 pm

UNREAL

91. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:24 pm

why not Mike Sweeney instead of Francisco??? I’ve seen this movie way too many times. I really want someone to ask Charlie to explain this.

92. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 10:25 pm

WE MAY WIN THIS,BUT WE DESERVE TO LOSE!

93. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Hopefully Sweeney rather than Gload next time around. That’d be pretty epic.

And that called strike three on Benny was outside.

94. jt

October 23, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Typical phillies I’m disgusted with this sh*t I mean we’ve had so many chances and can’t capitalize why doesn’t cholly ever use sweeney it’s always gload or francisco.

95. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 10:25 pm

WAY,WAY TO MANY WASTED CHANCES…..

96. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:29 pm

8 men left on base, 5 RISP…too too many wasted chances.

97. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:31 pm

kate – i have to disagree with you, the called 3rd strike on Francisco dropped right in there. he was frozen b/c he s*cks.

98. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Madson is on again so far…blowing them away. One more out here.

99. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:34 pm

oh man…not good. now the power hitters are coming up.

100. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 10:37 pm

WOW

101. Mostone

October 23, 2010 at 10:38 pm

OK, How about some runs here? I’d like to start breathing again.

102. Bob Myers

October 23, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Our offense made Bumgarter look like Cy Young. We make every pitcher look like Cy Young these days. 6 Innings and one earned run allowed by Oswalt. Oswalt has been amazing.

Offense has major issues.

I miss the old Phils. They would have had this game blown wide open by now. Probably would have scored at least 7 runs by now!

103. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 10:40 pm

WE SCORE THIS INNING!

104. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:41 pm

i with you Mostone. the tension is ridiculous. I’m glad Madson made it out of there, but now he’s thrown 22 pitches, so I’m not sure how long you can leave him out there in the 8th.

REALLY REALLY NEED SOMETHING FROM UTLEY and HOWARD this inning!

105. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Has anyone else noticed that Charlie’s been spending a significant amount of time talking to or standing with Jamie Moyer in the dugout since about September?

Keep the PHAITH.

106. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Javier Lopez is due to be nicked up at some point…let’s all put the whammy on him from our respective locations!

107. ChuckS

October 23, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Can you hear that?

108. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:46 pm

not working so far.

109. matt

October 23, 2010 at 10:47 pm

ohh god

110. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:47 pm

this guy lopez is lights out.

111. Mostone

October 23, 2010 at 10:48 pm

argh

112. matt

October 23, 2010 at 10:48 pm

again, he strikes out again

113. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:48 pm

SH*T. SH*T. SH*T.

114. Bob Myers

October 23, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Even though its tied it feels like we’re losing and losing badly. Why is that?????

115. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 10:49 pm

THAT GUY HAS OUR #!!!

116. jt

October 23, 2010 at 10:51 pm

The phils just look flat I’m suprised this game is still tied…san fran keeps getting guys on it’s a matter of time before they score we had our chances and couldn’t do nothing.

117. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:52 pm

now my stomach is turning. you cant let cody ross beat you and win the MVP.

118. jeff

October 23, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Our Offense is pathetic. I dont think Howie will ever hit a lefty again. Vic needs to make that catch. Our offense is like biz. pathetic

119. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:54 pm

phew…ross just missed that one. 2 outs…let’s go Madson, pull us through…

120. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:54 pm

we’re done. we’re done. we’re done.

121. Terri

October 23, 2010 at 10:54 pm

good night

122. Mostone

October 23, 2010 at 10:54 pm

F#@k

123. jt

October 23, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Game over goodnight yall.

124. matt

October 23, 2010 at 10:57 pm

son of a bit, why why

125. RJG

October 23, 2010 at 10:57 pm

it ain’t over till it’s over… but it’s close now.

126. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:57 pm

are they really gonna bring lincecum in to relieve?? i hate this, it’s been absolutely torture watching the Phils this postseason.

127. Terri

October 23, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I guess getting Sanchez out of the game worked in the giants favor

128. jt

October 23, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Just hope texas destroys them.

129. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:58 pm

yeah terri…utley should have never rolled that ball back towards the mound…

130. matt

October 23, 2010 at 10:58 pm

this is nuts it can end like this

131. VTphan

October 23, 2010 at 10:59 pm

No no no! Y’all can’t give up! This is NOT over!

132. Bob Myers

October 23, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Not ready to write epitaph yet, but what a strange season of long hitting droughts with most of us trying to believe these were slumps and we really had good hitting.

Post season series proved otherwise. The slumps are who the Phils are. The times we hit are the strange times.

Of course, even a sucky offense can score 4 runs a game…..

133. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 10:59 pm

that was the first giants home run by someone other than cody ross in 270 some at bats.

134. matt

October 23, 2010 at 10:59 pm

timmy, really

135. VTphan

October 23, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Is it me, or does Lincecum look like a young Severus Snape?

136. Bob Myers

October 23, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Lincecum is fully hittable……

137. Bart Shart

October 23, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Say goodbye to the 2010 season for the Phils. Lots of fun and lots of thrills. We are an old team in dire need of rebuilding. The Giants are simply too good. Our offense is really pathetic. Amaro will rue the day he signed Howard early to all that money. It will kill us in future years.

138. Bob Myers

October 23, 2010 at 11:01 pm

The Rangers are the old Phillies anyway……

139. ChuckS

October 23, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Werth’s last AB as a phillie

140. jt

October 23, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Just depressing we could winning like 6-3 bit were losing just pathetic.

141. Terri

October 23, 2010 at 11:01 pm

that could have been jayson werth last at bat as a phillie

142. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:02 pm

shane looks like shit. he doesn’t want to be up there.

143. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:02 pm

this hard to watch

144. ChuckS

October 23, 2010 at 11:03 pm

I don’t want to hear that Giants are great, I don’t want to hear that the phillies dealt well with injuries. This is a flat out full on phillies embarrassment.

145. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Rangers beat Giants in 4 games. These will be lopsided games too. I won’t bother to watch, but it will be a blowout.

146. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Phils will come back to win this game. Mark is down – I was right in game 5, and I’ll be right in game 6.

Matt with a capital “M”

147. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:04 pm

this is not over, it can’t be i refuse it, to much has happen this season, we got this,

148. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:04 pm

please…please…miracle…please.

149. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Seriously, you guys who are b*tching about this 1 run deficit are the same fair weathered fans from the other night. Just turn in your cards, seriously.

150. jt

October 23, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Raul dp coming up.

151. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:06 pm

raulllllll

152. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:07 pm

This is honestly a terrible move by Boche (putting in Tim). He’s really been weak this postseason in general. I’m sure one of those terrorist looking guys in the pen would have done a better job.

153. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 11:07 pm

LETS DO THIS!!

154. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:07 pm

jt – get the F out of here, seriously.

155. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:07 pm

jt wow you are a negative person

156. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:08 pm

one run baby one run, we could do this, we go to

157. Bob Myers

October 23, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Who in our lineup does Wilson need to fear?

I really can’t think of a batter Wilson would fear in this line up at this time……

I hope this post will make me eat crow and we’ll break through!!!!!!!

158. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:09 pm

WE TALKIN ABOUT THE FIGHTINS< SAID

159. jt

October 23, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Great this wilson owns us…we got a risp postion but that’s where we stink…it’s to chooch now.

160. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Seriously, that chick on the US Mail commercial is hot as hell.

161. VTphan

October 23, 2010 at 11:09 pm

C’mon Ruiz!!!!!

162. ChuckS

October 23, 2010 at 11:10 pm

If only it were Broxton

163. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Ruiz will come up big here like he has time and time again.

164. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:10 pm

we need a walk…

165. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:10 pm

oh no. we are so dead now.

166. Terri

October 23, 2010 at 11:11 pm

it is over

167. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:11 pm

ohhh shit

168. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Timmy L is happy now that he won’t get A$$raped for losing a chance at the WS back in SF. I would feel the same way.

169. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 11:11 pm

WELL-WELL

170. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:11 pm

there 3 more outs, left its not over

171. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:12 pm

just elevate the damn ball. i saw the same shit from gload the other night, now Ruiz…what does it take to get a break?

172. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Terri – STFU. You’re probably one of these B8tches who has a Phillies flag on her minivan while going to spin class. Where were you in the late 90’s when we were running Desi Relaford at SS?

173. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:12 pm

In Baseball nothing is decided till the 27th out bottom of 9th ….., Just hang in there guys …,

174. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:13 pm

when trailing that is..,

175. jt

October 23, 2010 at 11:13 pm

There the dp…f u matt you pos I love the phils but were done we lack the clutch hitting these guys I love em all but I don’t know.

176. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:13 pm

alright Matt – keep the phaith. i hope you’re right.

177. jeff

October 23, 2010 at 11:13 pm

This offense was the downfall all season long. Bottom line. They never got anything going. We scored two runs in the first and nothing the rest. Chance after chance. amazing. Why not pitch around green card and pitch to edgar who cant hit. all this pitching we have and we lose. good for you fox. texas and san fran. you have nobody watching. GO G MEN

178. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:13 pm

AC in NJ – It’s not even really about elevating, it’s about defensive positioning too. A few inches either way and that’s a run scoring single.

Hey, that’s baseball sometime.

179. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Now the Lidge guy has to keep this a 1 run game…, if not just release lidge next season..,

180. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:14 pm

jt – then have some faith! We only need one run, it’s not impossible.

I could understand the negativity if we were down by 3 runs, but 1 run? It’s doable.

181. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Matt, That shot by Ruiz is probably he hardest hit by both sides today.., Just unlucky

182. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Desi – Wish we could release him, but he’s got one year left unfortunately. Good thing for the Phils there are a number of really good bullpen arms knocking on the door in their minor league system.

183. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:16 pm

i hope torres ripped a muscle and is ineffective in the next round.

184. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Desi – Agreed, that’s what I’m saying about the Ruiz hit.

185. Terri

October 23, 2010 at 11:16 pm

that plays sum up the series

186. ChuckS

October 23, 2010 at 11:16 pm

I need another beer

187. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Matt, I like you.. you sound very similar to me.., Baseball is the sport where you should never give up .., Braves won abou 25 gameslast at bat.., led majors.., unbelievable.,

Lidge gotta put a lid on this .., can’t give any more runs..,

188. Bob Myers

October 23, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Will Cholly want to come back and manage a team that can’t hit?

189. Sam

October 23, 2010 at 11:19 pm

How in the world can all the Giant’s relievers shut us down? I just know this team has heart. Someone’s gotta show up in the ninth for us.

190. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Walk him..,

191. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Terri – Go give a BJ to your husband and turn off the TV then. You really have no idea what you’re talking about.

192. Bob Myers

October 23, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Let’s see, Lidge vs. Wilson, kind of makes Wilson look like our batters…….

193. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Sam, Giants have the best Bullpen in majors.., Don;t underestimate them.., Giants, Padres, Braves in that order,

I wont blame phillies tonight.. they tried their best.., Giants pitched pretty good,

194. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Lidge really isn’t the right guy for this inning, they should have put Jose C out there. Lidge out of close situations is much worse than close situations.

195. Roseanne Barr

October 23, 2010 at 11:22 pm

me ! me ! me ! me ! me ! me ! me !

196. ChuckS

October 23, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Lidge has been good since the ASG

197. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 11:23 pm

THIS IS IT BOYS AND GIRLS!!!!

198. Bob Myers

October 23, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Can we come up with 1 Run when our survival depends upon it?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

199. jt

October 23, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Not trying to be a d ick matt but just frustrated by the way the phils are playing because were way better than san fran we just aren’t playing like it and it’s prolly werth ladt game as a phillie which I’m mad over I respect you keeping that faith it’s hard with the way the phils are playing right now.

October 23, 2010 at 11:24 pm

You Gotta Believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

201. Sam

October 23, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Bases loaded and they let Wison bat? I guess they figure Wilson can shut us down again. Come on Phillies … someone’s gotta come through!!!

202. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Jay,, Believe me .., Beard guy is hittable.., Braves did it, Phillies can and they will.. just imagine that crowd when the walk off hit is delivered

203. ChuckS

October 23, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Please God, let the phils win this game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

204. Bob Myers

October 23, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Yeah, letting Wilson bat just disrespected our offense. We need to do something!

205. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 11:25 pm

We got this.

And even if we don’t, we never should have seen the postseason this year.

Proud of our boys for fighting it out all season long.

We got this.

206. Sam

October 23, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Desibrave,
    I can’t stand the Giants. If they win this thing … I’ll be rooting for Cliff Lee and the Rangers.

207. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Cut Gload in 2011. Find a replacement.

208. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:27 pm

come on rollins

209. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Bob Myers – Actually, I think it shows respect for our offense. It goes to show that they need a top flight closer in there instead of another run and a lesser pitcher.

210. Sam

October 23, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Glosd … Gload …Gload … couldn’t Cholly give someone else a chance? Scheeeeesh!!!

211. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Wilson doesn’t get into any WS games. Rangers will tear the cover off the ball.

212. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:28 pm

there you go.., get him on base.. and then see what happens

213. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:28 pm

j roll lets go

214. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:29 pm

ok. no dp’s here now. let’s go Polly!

215. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:29 pm

wow, jimmy, being patience awesome

216. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Now this is what makes baseball fun..

Do you steal second with the way the offense is hitting? Basically, that means you have two outs to get a single to tie it up.

Maybe a hit and run?

217. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:30 pm

come on polly

218. JOE444

October 23, 2010 at 11:30 pm

They keep putting a man on for us … gotta come through now.

219. jt

October 23, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Go rangers get em cliff lee these giants are are way ahead of themselves prove us right ole buddy.

220. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:31 pm

damn it polly.

Alright Utley. Eedeem yourself here. For the entire playoffs.

221. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:31 pm

chase, you could make this all go away

222. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:31 pm

That’s big… they should have hit and run there to get Jimmy to second. Especially with a contact hitter like Polanco out there.

It will probably take a double in the gap to score Polanco from first.

223. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:32 pm

why didn’t they pinch run for polanco?

224. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Gotta get Howard to plate.. that should be the game plan somehow

225. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:32 pm

chasee homer baby

226. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I’m not sure the upgrade to Valdez is worth it.

227. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:33 pm

…. as Tim just described.

228. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Ryan…it’s all up to you now. EARN YOUR $$$$.

229. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Didnt hey say, get me to the plate, get me to the plate

230. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:34 pm

good – valdez in for speed.

231. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:34 pm

If you’re SF, you’ve got to play deep (no double defense) and concede a run on a single.

232. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Howard will drill one to opposite field.., Homer , just hang on there

233. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Seriously, Wilson is going to shit the bed. I can feel it.

234. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:36 pm

wow, my heart cant take this

235. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Nothing to worry about matt, Phillies got this in the bag.

236. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:38 pm

low ball 4. ump wanted to be a star there. a*shole.

237. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Just what the Doc didnt prescribe..,

238. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:38 pm

dam it,

239. Roseanne Barr

October 23, 2010 at 11:38 pm

240. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:39 pm

TV is already off. I’m happier just hanging out here with Phillies Nation and no longer listening to McCarver or Buck. I hope somebody hits Burrell with a bottle on the way out tonight.

LETS GO RANGERS.

241. jeff

October 23, 2010 at 11:39 pm

and what i have been saying along. 125 million dollar waste of human space.

not one rbi in the playoffs. no homers. he is a joke. a big joke.

242. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Congrats Giants – you guys played gritty baseball. I still don’t think we gave you our “A” game, but hey, anything can happen in a short series, and this just goes to show.

I’m really not bitter at all, but I think Texas smokes them – Texas in 5.

243. Roseanne Barr

October 23, 2010 at 11:39 pm

it’s a slam dunk huh ?!? hee ! hee !

244. matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:39 pm

well see you all next season, GO EAGLES

245. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Small comfort here, but the Rangers are walking all over the Giants starting Wednesday.

I’m still proud of our boys.

246. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Aubrey huff looks like the guy who changed my tires this morning.

247. Roseanne Barr

October 23, 2010 at 11:41 pm

couldn’t happened to a nicer city !!! hee ! hee !

248. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 11:41 pm

THE UMPS WHERE BAD ALL SERIES,BUT WE DID NOT DESERVE TO WIN THIS!

249. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Wow, ARod goes down last night to end it looking, Howard goes down tonite looking to end it, and MLB has an absolutely pathetic World Series to look forward to. But I’m glad Cliff Lee will get a ring, and maybe Josh Hamilton will be the MVP.

If Lee wins the WS, I have a feeling he’ll go back to Texas even for slightly less $$ – as long as they can go general market.

I hope the Phils will ante up and find a way to re-sign Werth…they need his skills now more than ever.

250. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Can’t believe this.., Giants beat Braves and phillies this season.., in our own parks, where phillies and braves rule..,

Well Gotta support NL in the WCS.., I am rooting for Giants , Go NATIONAL LEAGUE

guys.. just look at the AL this year.. how Dull and crap those games are.., Rangers bats will be shutdown by NL Pitching…,

251. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 11:43 pm

GUYS ITS BEEN A BLAST TO BLOG HERE ALL YEAR!!

252. jt

October 23, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Really though ryan was gonna come through there can’t believe he struck out here’s to a season of ups and downs that didn’t end the way we wanted but non the less still a fun season go rangers give then an a s s kickin.

253. Bart Shart

October 23, 2010 at 11:43 pm

You are now witnessing the decline of Ryan Howard, the Philadelphia Phillies (500 team next year) and Phillies baseball. How many fans will stick around for an old mediocre team? Time to rebuild.

254. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Kate – I’m semi proud of them. But they let way, way to many chances slip away in this series, especially tonite. Should have been playing tomorrow.

255. bda

October 23, 2010 at 11:44 pm

I have a ton of respect for the Phillies team, very impressive series. For you whiners tho, all i can say is learn what it is to be a real fan. i hope all the moves you asked for about your team come true and all you’re has beens come here to SF – they will be welcomed with open arms. Congrats to the Phillies for a fine season.

256. Bart Shart

October 23, 2010 at 11:44 pm

I love the Phils and take my hat off to the Giants. They deserved to win.
    We are fortunate to have these past four seasons of successful baseball in Philly. Now we need to rebuild.

257. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Actually, I’m hoping for the sake of the Rangers organization that they do win the World Series. Lee is more likely to stay around and Nolan Ryan and company can really start building something in that organization.

Rangers in FOUR.

258. AGH

October 23, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Disgraceful–holding Jimmy at 3rd on the double by Howard. Not stealing with Victorino or Jimmy in the 8th or 9th. Francisco with an awful at bat with Ibanez on 3rd and 1 out. Lack of aggression, lack of execution–Cholly has way too much confidence in his guys.

259. ChuckS

October 23, 2010 at 11:45 pm

I am to heart broken to be proud, give me sometime. For the time being I am solely going to blame Danys Baez.

260. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 11:45 pm

ANDREW,MIKE,LEFTY KATE,BOSTONKATE,CHUCK,CHUCKAND THE OTHER CHUCK,AC,AND ALL THE OTHER REGULARS,I HOPE TO SEE YOU GUYS AGAIN NEXT YEAR,BEEN A BLAST!

261. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 11:46 pm

AND BIZ……..

262. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Kate , Can’t believe you rooting for an AL team in WCS…,

263. ChuckS

October 23, 2010 at 11:46 pm

been a pleasure Jay.

264. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Yeah, they did beat themselves and I’m disgruntled over it. Absolutely. No excuses. The umps were passable tonight and we just did not take advantage.

But I’m not angry. We never should have seen the playoffs this year.

I feel sick bad for Ryan Madson. Pulling it out for a d*mn long time and he picks up the loss. He deserved better.

Hey, at least we owned Timmy again tonight.

265. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Jay, you forgot me ………… 🙂

266. Mike from VA

October 23, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Giants deserved to win, Phillies deserved the loss, this an awesome website make one for the EAGLES though lol. Next year pitching together and gotta hope offense bounces back… In fact DIDNT LIDGE AND HAMELS, THE BIGGEST PIECES OF 08, BOUNCE BACK, now offense biggest piece in 09 is gonna bounce back

267. ChuckS

October 23, 2010 at 11:47 pm

i feel bad for Mike Sweeney, the guy never got an AB in the postseason.

268. Sam

October 23, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I only wish that Howard would have gone down swinging rather then taking a pitch almost down the middle. At least he would have had one more cut at it. 🙁 I still love the Phillies but I’ll be rooting for Cliff Lee on Wednesday. That’s about as close to having the Phillies in the World Series as we can get.

269. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 11:47 pm

NOT SO FAST KATE,I DONT THINK ANYONE CAN SCORE IN THAT HELL HOLE AT&T PARK

270. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I’m rooting for Cliff Lee, Desi. I’m sentimental that way.

271. Oh no

October 23, 2010 at 11:47 pm

waaahhhh….

272. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Bart Shart – what odds are you giving on Phils being a 500 team next year? C’mon, get real…with the pitching and the lack of competition in the NL East, they’ll be fine. Halladay and Oswalt want a championship the most and they’ll lead the way.

If the Phils don’t re-sign Werth, I’d love to see if Amaro can figure out a way to get Cliff Lee to return – but if the Rangers win the series, I don’t think it would happen.

Desibrave – normally I’d root for the National League, but no way in this situation. I’d like to thank Brooks Conrad for also helping make this last week a miserable one.

273. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 11:48 pm

DESIBRAVE BEEN FUN…..

274. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 11:49 pm

I said it on Thursday and I’ll say it again. It’s been a pleasure, everyone. Let’s do it again next season.

And we’re still better than the Yankees. At least we were back to defend our World Championship the following year.

275. Sam

October 23, 2010 at 11:49 pm

ChuckS … I totally agree with you. Whether it be left or right handed pitcher … I think he would have done better then Gload. Sweeney deserved better then to be left on the bench.

276. chuck

October 23, 2010 at 11:49 pm

how bout them phils? those of us on the braves board had phillies trolls coming over and posting all of september about what a DYNASTY philly was. some dynasty. i mean, really. they didnt even bother showing up, did they? we played the giants much better than yall did. and we had like 6 key injuries from august on. dynasty…too funny. eat it, you obnoxious jerks.

277. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 11:49 pm

SWEENEY DID BAT…..GOT A HIT 2

278. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Jay – I agree with you that AT&T Park is a baseball hellhole. That said, Josh Hamilton can bomb them out of any park and unlike Howard, he’s doing it in these playoffs. (And this for a guy that played almost none of September rehabbing from injury). Ryan should take lessons.

279. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Halladay got a taste of the post-season. He wants back in.

We’ll be back and I’d better see all of you here for it.

280. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 11:51 pm

I wish there was a chance Sweeney could be back next year as utility or back-up.

281. Kate

October 23, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Hey, Desi, thanks for not gloating. I know it’s probably taking some restraint.

282. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:52 pm

By the way, did they announce who won the NLCS MVP? I turned the damn TV off immediately after the strikeout.

Please don’t tell me it was Cody Journeyman Ross???

283. jeff

October 23, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Texas will destroy the Giants. There offense is a machine. They are aggresive. The Giants cant score runs. Vic dropped that ball. Giving up a single to the pitcher. Bruce pulling his pitchers early. STRANGE. The Rangers will destroy them. Ryan Howard will be licking that contract. He is starting his decline. Teams now know how to pitch them. Ever since spy gate our bats went north.

284. Roseanne Barr

October 23, 2010 at 11:52 pm

How many the divisions the phillie have won opposed to how many championships ?!? 4 and 1 !!!! ha ! ha !

285. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:52 pm

NL EAST RULES next year……,
    You have H20 for the entire season.. thats no joke.. reminds of Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz..,

286. ChuckS

October 23, 2010 at 11:52 pm

okay Sweeney had one AB in the NLDS, but I would have liked to see him tonight or in the NLCS

287. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 11:53 pm

YES CODY WON IT!

288. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Kate – 100% with you on the Phillies being back in the party next year. My hunch now is that the Giants won’t be…I really think they’re a one year wonder…

West is a tougher division…Rockies good, Dodgers could be back and Padres were very, very suprising (and should have one the division).

289. Roseanne Barr

October 23, 2010 at 11:54 pm

hey ! win 10 more divisions and you can be like the braves ! 14 divisions and 1 world series !!! Dynasty !! ha ! Ha !

290. Terri

October 23, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Ryan Howard is going to take a lot of heat for not swinging at that pitch, people already think the Phillies overpaid him.

291. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Jeff,, What you don’t understand is Texas didnt face pitching like the NL East playoffs teams has this year.., They will be shutdown.. If Giants can shut down Phillies no way can Rangers hit them.,

292. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:55 pm

wow. Cody Ross, MVP. I think I’ll throw up now. Phils should be embarrassed of that.

293. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 23, 2010 at 11:55 pm

ME TO CHUCK,ESP WHEN BEN CAME UP-SHOULD HAVE BEEN SWEENEY!THAT BEING SAID,I THINK IF WERTH LEAVES BEN AND BROWN WILL DO GREAT!

294. Jeff Y

October 23, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Utley, Howard, & Werth stopped with the roids and they showed they are just average players.

295. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Desibrave – c’mon, the Rangers have hit better than the Phillies all year…

296. Matt

October 23, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I could see Sweeney retiring after this year. I think the issue is he really can only play 1B. They’re probably looking for a guy who can do a little more, considering Ryan pretty much plays every game.

297. ChuckS

October 23, 2010 at 11:57 pm

c’mon Jeff Y, its not roids….its HGH, they can’t test for that yet

298. Jeff Y

October 23, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Howard is so overated!!!

299. AC in NJ

October 23, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Jay – I’m not ready to give Ben Francisco an everyday role…no way.

I’d love to see Brown get more ABs in the majors, but in Ibanez’s spot, not Werths

300. Desibrave

October 23, 2010 at 11:58 pm

AC in NJ,, They hit better because they are in AL West and you know who they play? Seattle , Angels (sucked this season), and As, Thats a joke compared to NL Pitching..,

301. Jeff Y

October 23, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Look at the power numbers in that bam box. We had one guy with 30 homers

302. Jeff Y

October 24, 2010 at 12:00 am

Let the yankees pay 20 million per year for Werth.

303. chuck

October 24, 2010 at 12:00 am

man, yall are pathetic! what a freakin’ dynasty! bunch of overpaid mamby-pamby losers! glad yall paid all that money for THIS.

304. Kate

October 24, 2010 at 12:00 am

God, MADSON. I’m sick for him.

This NL East is going to be BANGING the next few years. I can see the Nats making a good run within the next few years as well. They’re building a good club for the future and when Strasburg comes back… Wow.

Wilson Valdez and Chooch for Club MVPs this year.

305. MikeB.

October 24, 2010 at 12:00 am

With the Phils eliminated I am not planing to watch the WS; just passive interest. Who gives a hoot about Burrell and Rowand anyway?

It is a shame that this game and this series ended in the situation where the umpire took the bat out of the player’s (Howard) hands. Borderline pitch but you have to swing at anything near the strike zone with two strikes on you.

An anemic offense with three or four big stars failing to come through in this series and what in the world happened to Ruiz, Mr. October? No big hits like in the past post-seasons but it is all over the dam now. Utley and Howard’s second half of the season injuries might have come back and haunt this team more than anyone realizes.

306. Metsfan

October 24, 2010 at 12:01 am

You guys had another good year. Hopefully, we’ll be able to compete next year. I’m sure it sucks now but at least you got this far. Ryan Howard brought back memories of Beltran in 06. Gotta swing the bat.

307. Jeff Y

October 24, 2010 at 12:01 am

They stopped taking the juice

308. Desibrave

October 24, 2010 at 12:02 am

Charlie seems like he has springs connecting all his body parts

309. Jeff Y

October 24, 2010 at 12:03 am

RAB signed Ibanez for one more year. He should have his head looked at.

310. Jeff Y

October 24, 2010 at 12:04 am

Maybe they will sign Moyer for 2 more years.

311. AC in NJ

October 24, 2010 at 12:04 am

Desibrave – even in the AL West, the Rangers still have plenty of regular season games (at least 7 each) against Yankees, Rays, Red Sox and Twins, all of whom have fine pitching.

I think you’re giving too much credit to the Giants pitching, which is good, but the Phils killed themselves more in this series than the Giants won it with great pitching

If Sanchez pitches like he did in these 2 games against the Phils, the Rangers clobber him.

If Lincecum pitches like he did in game 5 or tonite’s relief, Rangers clobber him. (And really, he wasn’t spectacular in game 1 either).

Matt Cain – lights out against the Phils in game 3, but I don’t expect that to happen again. What was his career record against phils before that game?

RANGERS IN 4.

312. Kate

October 24, 2010 at 12:04 am

Honestly, and it’s all over, I’m no longer bitter over it or saying if only, blah blah blah… I only stay angry for so long over that stupid sh*t.

But the umps and the strike zone rattled Chooch. I’ve been seeing it since Game Two. Chooch had NO idea what was going to be called. He hasn’t been comfortable since the series moved to San Francisco.

313. Sam

October 24, 2010 at 12:05 am

Tim McCarver’s all smiles!!! That guy has disliked the Phillies for years. Has anyone listened to him when he announces a Phiiles game? If it wasn’t for Steve Carlton … he wouldn’t have been able to put a catcher’s mit on.

314. ChuckS

October 24, 2010 at 12:06 am

it is easy to take shots at the offense, but lets take a look at were two of our loses came from, the bullpen. If we actually had some reliable arms other that Contreas, Lidge and Madson would Oswalt have to pitch in game 5? Would Madson have to throw 2 innings? We Durbin even have a uniform?

315. AC in NJ

October 24, 2010 at 12:06 am

C’mon Jeff Y give it a break. Feel bad enough already tonite.

316. AC in NJ

October 24, 2010 at 12:07 am

Kate – I hope the reporters ask the right questions and get Chooch to open up on that subject.

317. Kate

October 24, 2010 at 12:08 am

I think Ruben needs to keep an eye on the young guys coming up, but this core nucleus, after a season of injuries, deserve one more year to make another run.

We’re already losing Werth, now isn’t the time to make more changes.

Keep your eye on the future, but remember this year for what it was. An injury-plagued group of guys that still managed ninety-seven wins and make it all the way back to the NLCS.

318. Sam

October 24, 2010 at 12:08 am

I agree AC … if the Phillies hit like the Rangers … we’d be playing them in the World Series. And, for someone to say the Giant’s pitching is better is foolish. The have better strters then the Giants … I think their only weakness is in the bull pen.

319. Desibrave

October 24, 2010 at 12:08 am

One thing for sure…. Phillies Bullpen sucks.. ,Except for Madson , get rid of the rest , But maybe you dont need Bullpen much next season with H2O

Trade Kendrick or Blanton and get some bullpen help

320. AC in NJ

October 24, 2010 at 12:08 am

ChuckS is right about the bullpen. That’s the priority for Amaro in the offseason – rid us of Durbin and find someone else that delivers. And not Zagurski or Bastardo or something along those lines…

321. Kate

October 24, 2010 at 12:08 am

I’m watching Barkann, Ricky Bo, and Dutch on PGL. F*ck FOX.

322. Roseanne Barr

October 24, 2010 at 12:10 am

so, the giants don’t belong on the same field as the phillies ?!? No honey !, the phillies don’t belong on the same field with the giants !!!! ha !! ha ! ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

323. MikeB.

October 24, 2010 at 12:10 am

Yeh, Kate, Chooch was far from the same offensive player in this NLCS than he was in the regular season; looked confused and lost up there. Umps took two of these games from the Phillies but no excuses, it is on the Phils offense.

324. Kate

October 24, 2010 at 12:10 am

Is Contreras sticking around? He could, along with Madson and Lidge, anchor the bullpen if they make changes in that area.

I don’t blame Charlie for a lot, but Sweeney should have seen the plate tonight.

325. Roseanne Barr

October 24, 2010 at 12:10 am

all my ex’s live in TEXAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

326. Roseanne Barr

October 24, 2010 at 12:12 am

there’s no crying in baseball !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

327. Kate

October 24, 2010 at 12:12 am

All right, I’m amending my WS prediction.

Thanks to Charlie, Giants get home field, so I’m saying Rangers in FIVE. Cliff Lee will smoke them in Game 1. Cliff Lee would have smoked US in Game 1. 2010 Cliff Lee might have even smoked us if he was pitching Game 1 back in 2008.

328. MikeB.

October 24, 2010 at 12:13 am

I second that on Durbin, AC in NJ. Big reason for the loss in game 4.

329. ChuckS

October 24, 2010 at 12:13 am

Didn’t Roseann die of a heart attack?

330. Kate

October 24, 2010 at 12:14 am

I didn’t say anything to anyone earlier, because I didn’t want to jinx it, but I was supposed to go to Game 7 on second-chance tickets from phillies.com.

Yet I’m still not bitter.

I love this team.

331. Andrew from waldorf

October 24, 2010 at 12:15 am

How many RBI did Howard have in a 6 game series?

this line up is old stale and kinda pathetic. Must move some for new blood

And no Unfortunately 125 million man is not movable.

Too bad we wont be able to afford Werth he showed up

332. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 24, 2010 at 12:15 am

Ryan Howard not happy with called third strike said Haillon hesitated before making call: “If you are going to make the call, make the call”

333. AC in NJ

October 24, 2010 at 12:16 am

Look, 3 of the 4 Giants wins came with 3 runs, 4 runs and 3 runs scored. It’s clearly all on the Phils offense. Now the 6-5 Giants win, that’s on the bullpen as the Phils lead 4-2. But other than that, it’s pathetic that the phils couldn’t outscore the Giants in those games.

Rangers can easily score 5-6 runs a game, and with the Giants generally anemic offense, they’d need divine intervention to win mulitple games, let alone the series.

Cliff Lee starts game 1. If the Rays and Yankees can’t hit him, Giants won’t hit him (TAKE THAT TO THE BANK ROSEANNE BARR). Lee may end up starting 2 games. Colby Lewis and C.J. Wilson aren’t too shabby either.

334. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 24, 2010 at 12:17 am

Charlie opens his postgame press conf. by congratulating the Giants and thanks the fans. Quotes to come… #Phillies

335. ChuckS

October 24, 2010 at 12:19 am

i can remember being at the ’08 parade and thinking that no matter what else happens I will always love every member if that club, it still holds true (not right now, Burrell).

336. Desibrave

October 24, 2010 at 12:19 am

Charlie Manuel is very similar to Bobby Cox.., You will not win another WCS as long as you have him as a manager.

Braves got rid of Cox.., Fredi Gonzalez and Wren started making moves already.

337. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 24, 2010 at 12:19 am

LOOK IF THERE IS ONE THING WE KNOW,THE PHILLIES WILL BE RIGHT BACK NEXT YEAR,I DONT CARE HOW OLD THEY ARE…………

338. AC in NJ

October 24, 2010 at 12:20 am

Ryan Howard is right about Hallion, but somebody else should say it. He’s in no position to complain about anything given his play with runners on base and in scoring position. A bunch of singles for a $125mm man doesn’t cut it.

Think we can bamboozle St. Louis into the Howard for Pujols swap if Phils throw in some salary $$? LOL 😉

339. MikeB.

October 24, 2010 at 12:20 am

The big debate now will be if Charlie should have pitched Halliday in game 4 instead of Blanton and Oswalt in game 5, also on short rest. Also playing Francisco against righties Lincecum and Cain instead of Ibanez due to Raul slumping in the series.

340. Desibrave

October 24, 2010 at 12:20 am

Its been a nice year chatting .., Bravoman and I will be back next year..,

Have fun… Go Braves!!!

341. DS1

October 24, 2010 at 12:21 am

Why don’t you Phillies fans go out and get tazed!!

This is hilarious.

342. Andrew from waldorf

October 24, 2010 at 12:21 am

Re: the world series

Since i wont be watching a minute of it no need to make a prediction.
    but the Rangers will kill them.
    the Phillies would have beat the Rangers too.
    But like I was telling anyone who would listen for a month. The Phillies dont want the Giants. Its a terrible match up for the Phillies.
    Gee I guess it mattered who we played. duh

October 24, 2010 at 12:22 am

I tip my hat to the San Francisco Giants. I think they have a slight chance v Texas.

344. Kate

October 24, 2010 at 12:23 am

I still love Howard despite his down-year, but no. He has no right to complain. He’s right, but no. Just no.

345. Andrew from waldorf

October 24, 2010 at 12:23 am

Id much rather have Werth in RF
    And say Dunn at 1B

But we are married to 0 RBI
    Hes all ours for a very a long time

How do you take that pitch?

346. Roseanne Barr

October 24, 2010 at 12:23 am

@Chucks, no BITCH I’m still here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FhndWwWt8I

347. MikeB.

October 24, 2010 at 12:23 am

Right on, AC! The Giants better enjoy their celebrating tonight and the next few days because here it will end with Texas coming up for them.

348. ChuckS

October 24, 2010 at 12:23 am

with a heavy heart I bid you all a fond fair well, and we will give em hell next year

349. Kate

October 24, 2010 at 12:24 am

Halladay should NOT have gone Game 4.

I’ll smile for the Giants tomorrow. Tonight, I still hate them.

350. Andrew from waldorf

October 24, 2010 at 12:26 am

This team will win the the east next year by osmosis
    Probably best record in NL
    It all comes down to the Playoffs
    The errors and misplays was alarming.

Really need to get the lineup younger. Meaing one of j roll or chase needs to be dealt while the value is still there. And Raul or Polanco need to go.One of the 2.

351. Roseanne Barr

October 24, 2010 at 12:26 am

Couldn’t happen to a nicer CITY !!!!! Raggedy Philadelphia !!!!!!! Country Northerners !!! HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 24, 2010 at 12:29 am

The game day threads have been a blast folks, I’ll be around all offseason, but just want to say how much I enjoyed this season with all of you.

353. Kate

October 24, 2010 at 12:29 am

Remember being in third place and two games over .500 on July 21st.

Remember the Ballad of Wilson Valdez.

Remember Doc Halladay’s perfect game.

Remember “Left Fielder ROY OSWALT!”

Remember our torrid race over the West Coast and Coors Field.

Remember September.

Remember sweeping the Braves when it was needed.

Remember our last Fan Appreciation Day of 2010.

Remember clinching at Citizens Bank South.

Remember sweeping the Reds and Doc Halladay’s no-hitter and striking Rolen out for the last out.

Remember bringing it home.

Remember 2010 with a crooked smile.

354. Roseanne Barr

October 24, 2010 at 12:30 am

David Seluth the Giant Phillistines !! David and Goliath baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 24, 2010 at 12:32 am

Changes will come, they would have win or lose. We will be a better team next year. And it doesn’t matter anyway because just like I have all my life, I’ll be with them through thick and thin.

I don’t hate Pat Burell, I just can’t. Now Cody Ross, that’s another story.

I wish Cole would have gotten his turn tomorrow.

356. Andrew from waldorf

October 24, 2010 at 12:33 am

You too lefty.

Gonna be a fun off season too. the phillies line up is getting to be liek the Yankees. They have 1 title since 2000 too.

Things will get shaken up more than most people expect. Has to happen.

@ Kate I love the reg season so much. The playoffs is too intense. Even when they win its more relief than joy lol
    Wish they would have won

357. Andrew from waldorf

October 24, 2010 at 12:35 am

Howard may be in trouble as far as image.
    Getting to be like A roid.

wheres Jeff?
    We have months now to talk about his contract LOL

358. jeff

October 24, 2010 at 12:35 am

For all you killing me about Howie. 56 postseason bats and 30 of them ended in a strikeout. 125 million dollar man. plus tonight he keeps the bat on his shoulder. this team is old and have traded all there pieces away. we all cried when lee got traded and now he is back in the world series. raul is done….werth gone…utley looks horrible. howard is horrible. rollins is finished. poly breaking down. bullpen is a mess. just bring in lefties and we lose. 2 runs in the first. sanchez got yanked. there bullpen destroyed us. thats why texas wins big. outside of the freak they will just pull there pitchers.

359. Roseanne Barr

October 24, 2010 at 12:36 am

Drinking Csystal Baby !! And it’s good too ! Want a sip ?!?

360. MikeB.

October 24, 2010 at 12:38 am

Andrew, I am sure Polanco was bother quite a bit by that elbow. I am sure it affected his power. It is hard to measure how all the injuries affected Polanco, Rollins, Utley and Howard in this series. Clearly, Utley and Howard were not all the way back from theirs’.

It is clear that something has to done to improve the hitting so they can overcome teams like the Giants who have good pitching.

361. Andrew from waldorf

October 24, 2010 at 12:39 am

I am with you I think Jeff
    But try to be classy about it.

They dont all got to go but some have to. D Brown has to play 150+
    Ad id like some more younger players.

362. Andrew from waldorf

October 24, 2010 at 12:40 am

@ mikeB
    I love Polanco
    I am not even saying he shuold go. But this line up has to get younger.
    Looked old for stretches all year.

363. jt

October 24, 2010 at 12:40 am

the phils will need a righty bat no way we can rely on francisco and ibanez platooning and i don’t know about brown you guys think he’s major league ready?he needs to work on plate disipline…i really hope they surprise us and move ibanez and someone else and bring werth back i’m sure werth would do anything to come back to philly,but he wants to get paid which i respect he’s earned it…we need to get a better bench too gload did nothing and why did cholly not give sweeny a chance?did sweeney even have a post season ab?alot of shoulda coulda woulda but it’s over.

364. BravoMan

October 24, 2010 at 12:41 am

I told y’all Cody Ross would win the NLCS MVP. Sorry, I sound like Andrew bragging about predictions that come true.

And now Andrew is saying his Phillies win walk through the East next year. He’s so confident, that Andrew. LOVE that guy!

365. Kool and the Gang

October 24, 2010 at 12:41 am

Celebrate good times, come on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

366. AC in NJ

October 24, 2010 at 12:41 am

So Roseanne Barr, why don’t you give us your world series prediction then?

October 24, 2010 at 12:43 am

Guess what jeff, if it makes you feel better, you won tonight!
    The rest of us wanted to win another championship, but you’re happier this way I guess, you got the last laugh. We lose, you win! Happy now?

368. Andrew from waldorf

October 24, 2010 at 12:43 am

I thought the Ruiz bunt was a very stupid move

The Phillies are like the Yankees. Making it isnt in play.
    winning the WS is it. Are no moral victories.

369. BravoMan

October 24, 2010 at 12:44 am

The thing is, that Phillies Big 3 wasn’t so big in this series from my view. They were good, but not exactly dominant like I remember reading on here that they would be. Actually, it was a fact by some that they would be dominant and take the team all the way.

370. Roseanne Barr

October 24, 2010 at 12:45 am

@BravoMan yeah, the phillies are going to win 14 striaght divisions and win 1 world series like the braves !!! I’ll take that ! Let the cock SUCKER suffer !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha ! Ha ! Ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

371. Andrew from waldorf

October 24, 2010 at 12:45 am

@lefty dont lash out at jeff my friend LOL

I dont think he was happy hes jsut how he is.

I got time to volunteer for Lollar now at least

372. AC in NJ

October 24, 2010 at 12:45 am

Ibanez is the one guy who if they can trade him, do it. But I think they’ll have to eat a ton of salary to do so.

Polanco is the best 3rd baseman we’ve had in years – he played with bone chips in the elbow all year and still was one of the leading hitters on the team. get the surgery in the offseason, he’ll be fine.

Jroll and Utley have earned the right to have another go at things next year…hopefully they’ll stay healthy; Valdez is excellent insurance – keep him.

I don’t think Brown is ready for full time yet, I’d really like Amaro to figure out some way to keep Werth.

373. Andrew from waldorf

October 24, 2010 at 12:47 am

My face book status

Whats 0 RBI in a 6 game series worth? about 125 million

374. AC in NJ

October 24, 2010 at 12:47 am

@Roseanne – so give us your World Series prediction, please?

375. jt

October 24, 2010 at 12:47 am

bravoman the hitting let the phils down moron didn’t you see oswalt in game 2?how about halladay pitching with an injury and still winning?the game we lost the pitching wasn’t bad the hitting was a big let down for me.

October 24, 2010 at 12:47 am

I like jeff too, but I really want to know if he is happy now.

377. Kate

October 24, 2010 at 12:48 am

Now I’m even sicker for Sweeney. He doesn’t want to take his uniform off because he doesn’t know if he’ll be playing anywhere next year. He’s not sure if the other guys realize the magnitude of how special it is here in Philly and it’s tough.

I haven’t cried yet, but that got me close.

378. AC in NJ

October 24, 2010 at 12:49 am

JT – excellent reply. Bravoman is just a bit slower, a bit behind…like his Braves.

379. Andrew from waldorf

October 24, 2010 at 12:49 am

Browns ready and he needs to go every day.
    HAS too

Id love to keep Werth too.

But the Rollins Utley and Howard and big 3 etc etc

Make it impossible.
    Unless you deal one of them ( not Hlladay hamels or oswalt). Which I would like. Get younger and free up salary to pay werth.
    Who was the best player on the roster during the playoffs
    when it mattered most
    Free up money

380. Kate

October 24, 2010 at 12:51 am

I’m thinking they’ll be finding some way to platoon Brown with someone else unless pigs fly sometime in the off-season and Werth signs with the Phillies. Which is why they’d be reluctant to let go of Ibanez. Maybe they’ll think about platooning Ibanez with Francisco and then in 2012 if all goes well, Francisco takes over full-time. By then Brown should be ready (if not sooner) to take sole possession of right field.

381. Roseanne Barr

October 24, 2010 at 12:51 am

Giants in 5.

382. Kate

October 24, 2010 at 12:52 am

Giants: Enjoy yourselves. And then watch helplessly as the Rangers walk all over you.

383. BravoMan

October 24, 2010 at 12:52 am

jt, yeah, BUT…..all the talk about The Big 3 you’d have thought shutouts and flat out dominance would be in order against that “anemic” Giants offense. Moron.

384. AC in NJ

October 24, 2010 at 12:53 am

@Roseanne – thanks. You’re obviously smoking meth too right now. Or you’re just a total idiot, besides being a gasbag. Now go troll somewhere else.

385. jeff

October 24, 2010 at 12:54 am

happy lefty???? i sat upstairs in my room crying. thats how happy i was. i love this team. i root my a s s off for this team to win everynight. 162 games this season i rooted. playoffs. yes, i am not a howard fan. never was never will. i hated when they gave him all that money. took his hunger away. pitchers in baseball have learned how to pitch him. when utley walked i turned to my wife and said its over. i knew howard would come up small. he is not paid to hit singles, or doubles. to drive in runs. i do not plan to sleep tonight. i give the giants credit but they should of never beat us. we were the better team…by far.

386. AC in NJ

October 24, 2010 at 12:56 am

BravoMan – go roll some balls between your legs, a la Brooks Conrad. At least the Big 3 had plenty of dominance against your “anemic” braves. Your collapse of 7 games up wasn’t as quick as the Mets, but nonetheless, I’m sure you enjoyed watching the Phils fly past your team in 60 days, from 7 back to 6 up – 13 game swing.

Braves will be lucky to win 86 games next year…

387. Roseanne Barr

October 24, 2010 at 12:56 am

Boy, they are really partying in the vistors lockeroom. Save some for me boys !

388. Andrew from waldorf

October 24, 2010 at 12:56 am

Id be suprised id Fransisco is on this roster.

Brown is handed every day player. Hed have to hit under.200 at the all star for him to not be out there every day.

young guys can add something. Like Posey. Id like to see at least 1 of the 2b ss or 3b under 25 also

389. BravoMan

October 24, 2010 at 12:58 am

I’ve never seen such attention starved fans in all my life like the Philly fans. Torres pulls up hurt diving into 1st base and needed to take a few quick laps to see if he was good to go and the Philly fans boo in disgust because somebody is taking a few seconds of them and their teams attention. Just like a bunch of children when mommy spends a second with little Tommy.

390. Andrew from waldorf

October 24, 2010 at 12:59 am

The phillies were not the better team. Or they would have won.

Speaking of Meth

They busted a meth lab in a dorm room at georgetown university today!
    I thought that school was upper echelon. I guess they needed money to pay the bloated tuition.

391. Roseanne Barr

October 24, 2010 at 1:00 am

@AC It hurt like Hell doesn’t it ?!? Like I said, the phillies could win 14 divisions and still have 1 world series win like the braves. That in itself is music to my ears !! Ce-le-brate good times, come on !!!

392. BravoMan

October 24, 2010 at 1:01 am

AC, or like Utley. He let some go through his legs and he’s a MLB EVERYDAY PLAYER, not a career minor leaguer forced into action because of injuries.

The Braves will be very good next year and for years to come. We’re getting younger with Heyward, Prado, McCann, Freeman, Kimbrel, Venters, Hanson and the list goes on. The Phillies are getting old and fast.

October 24, 2010 at 1:02 am

Ok jeff, I understand. At least your honest, I like that.
    My best to you and your family I meant no harm.
    We’re all hurting right now.

394. MikeB.

October 24, 2010 at 1:02 am

Some of the Philly fans, BravoMan, some of them, not all. What is true of the part is not true of the whole.

395. AC in NJ

October 24, 2010 at 1:02 am

Can Mike Sweeney become the pinch hitting specialist that Greg Dobbs was in 2008? I’d like to see some way of keeping him around…I think he’d take a very small salary just to stick around and get another shot.

396. Roseanne Barr

October 24, 2010 at 1:03 am

@BravoMan Couldn’t happen to a nicer city and moron country northern whiskey spitting FANS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

397. BravoMan

October 24, 2010 at 1:04 am

One last thing….I told you Jonathan Sanchez was a little beeyatch. Utley did nothing wrong and the moron starts talking smack because he’s got a huge chip on his shoulder. I sided with Utley on that. Sanchez sucks anyways.

October 24, 2010 at 1:05 am

Was it a meth lab, sheesh/

I have a daughter at Towson, she and I are going to have a talk.

399. jeff

October 24, 2010 at 1:05 am

no problem lefty. im sitting in here watching 50 first dates. trying to laugh but this s u c k s. are you in philly lefty?

400. Kate

October 24, 2010 at 1:05 am

Good night, everyone.

Win or lose, still a Phillies fan. Thanks for a hard-fought season, gentlemen.

October 24, 2010 at 1:08 am

Good night Kate, I’ll always be a fan too -through thick and thin.

402. BravoMan

October 24, 2010 at 1:10 am

MikeB, I know that. When I say “Philly fans” I don’t mean all of them.

403. AC in NJ

October 24, 2010 at 1:11 am

goodnite everyone. have a great offseason. see ya next year. Go Phils in 2011 – take back the pennant.

October 24, 2010 at 1:14 am

Jeff I live in Maryland. Never lived in Philly, but have been a fan as long as I can remember. My dad’s family was from Atlantic City, he drove us up to games all the time. Bought me a long range radio when i was young to listen.

405. Roseanne Barr

October 24, 2010 at 1:15 am

Don’t go ! I thought it was a party going on !

406. jeff

October 24, 2010 at 1:15 am

cool. i started off a yankees fan. 6 and 7 years old. my grandfather worked at the vet. i started going to see the games when he worked. watching rose and michael jack switched me over. i would say i was about 9 years old. rooted ever since.

407. jeff

October 24, 2010 at 1:16 am

my sister went to school at univ. of maryland. used to watch lenny b playball there. i was crushed when he died.

408. Roseanne Barr

October 24, 2010 at 1:17 am

I wonder how many fights are breaking out in philly bars tonight ?!?

October 24, 2010 at 1:20 am

Believe it or not, I went to the same high school as Bias, 8-10 years before him though. We were so proud someone from Northwestern was going to be in the pros- yeah that sucked.

410. MikeB.

October 24, 2010 at 1:21 am

It is evident that Howard never made it all the way back from that sprained ankle and/or it threw his hitting timing off but I wished that someone, somewhere over the off-season would work with him and get him to improve his hitting against breaking pitches. The guy just strikes out too much. Still needs to work on his fielding too.

I had a feeling that this game was going to be decided in the late innings with a home run or two and I hated seeing guys like Torres, Sanchez and Uribe come up as the game progressed because I knew that they can pop one out from time to time. Madsen is a good relief pitcher but is prone to having someone catch up to his pitches from time to time letting up the occasional dinger, and the rest is history.

411. Roseanne Barr

October 24, 2010 at 1:21 am

412. jeff

October 24, 2010 at 1:22 am

what a great player. thought larry bird would take him under his wing.

413. MikeB.

October 24, 2010 at 1:26 am

Lets all get back to Roseanne Barr on here after the Giants finish up by getting bombed in the WS

414. AC in NJ

October 24, 2010 at 1:31 am

MikeB. – like all the trolls, Roseanne Barr won’t be coming back here after the Rangers put the Giants down like the crippled horse they’re about to become.

415. MikeB.

October 24, 2010 at 1:31 am

Have a great off-season, Phillies bloggers and fans! Enjoyed all the postings on here all season long. The Phillies are still our guys and we all know that the ending of the series might have been a different story had the offense hit up to their potential.

416. max808

October 24, 2010 at 1:34 am

Kate, you’re an idiot.

417. MikeB.

October 24, 2010 at 1:34 am

More than likely, AC. The Giants are going to need a lot more offensively than what they showed in this series. Cannot always rely on lucky breaks and the umpiring.

418. max808

October 24, 2010 at 1:34 am

Giants kicked your ass fair and square. Stuff it fools.

419. AC in NJ

October 24, 2010 at 1:37 am

max808…go back to your hole and stuff it yourself. do the YMCA with your SF buddies.

420. Roseanne Barr

October 24, 2010 at 1:38 am

MikeB and AC, “Howd You Doin” ?!? I never said I was a giant fan ! My World Series is seeing you guys CHOKE !!!!! Get the chicken bone out of your throats !! Hee ! Hee ! Ce-le-brate good times, come on !!

421. Roseanne Barr

October 24, 2010 at 2:10 am

crickets chirping……………………………..

422. MikeB.

October 24, 2010 at 2:44 am

I second that, AC in NJ, in regards to max808, he knows they were fortunate.