Halladay Overcomes Groin Pull to Bring Phils Home – Phillies Nation
2010 Game Recaps

Halladay Overcomes Groin Pull to Bring Phils Home

They’re bringin’ it back…back. To Philly…Philly. The Phillies staved off elimination behind a gritty performance from Roy Halladay, beating the Giants, 4-2. If you noticed Halladay laboring throughout, there was good reason; he suffered a minor groin pull in the second inning.

The details are obviously sketchy, as Manuel said he hurt the groin in an at-bat against Buster Posey. However, the Giants catcher batted in the first inning. Halladay reiterated postgame that he indeed injured it in the second. In any case, on the bad-ass meter, thats about an 11. To go out there and beat the Giants who have been red hot with one healthy leg is quite impressive. It was quite noticeable, however, that something was amiss.

Halladay threw (by my unofficial count) just 12 fastballs on the night (excluding cutters). The Doc relied heavily on his offspeed stuff and somehow, someway, it worked. He pushed his way through six innings – throwing 108 pitches, 74 for strikes – allowing two runs on six hits and two walks.

Run support was still lacking for Halladay as the Phillies crossed home four times, three in a huge third inning. In the big third frame, Raul Ibanez got the ball rolling with a single to right field, followed by Carlos Ruiz being pegged on the right arm. With two on and nobody out, things got a little crazy around home plate.

Halladay bunted the ball off home plate, and it was hard to tell if the ball was fair or foul. Buster Posey quickly jumped on it and threw to third, but Pablo Sandoval missed the base and Ibanez was called safe. Halladay, however, did not run after thinking the ball was foul. Sandoval rolled around on the ground for a few seconds but still had plenty of time to throw out Halladay.

Aubrey Huff then allowed the Phils to grab the lead as Shane Victorino ripped one that caromed off the first baseman and into shallow right field, allowing Ibanez and Ruiz to score. Victorino was able to move to second on the error – he then scored on a Placido Polanco single to left field to push the Phils advantage to two.

San Francisco, as pesky as ever, grabbed a run in the fourth on back-to-back doubles by Pat Burrell and Cody Ross.

Backtracking to the first inning, an interesting situation occurred with Burrell and Halladay. Doc appeared to stare in at home plate umpire Jeff Nelson after a few questionable calls. Burrell took exception to it and yelled a few obscenities back at Roy, and the stares continued.

Back to Ross; he continues to pillage in the playoffs, knocking in his fifth run of the series. Luckily, those were the only two extra-base for the Giants on the night.

After Halladay came impressive performances from Jose Contreras, J.C. Romero, Ryan Madson, and Brad Lidge. Andres Torres singled off Contreras in the seventh and was the only Giants runner to reach base over the final three innings. Madson was torture on  meat of the order, striking out Posey, Burrell, and Ross in succession.

Before Brad Lidge could come on to close it out, Jayson Werth gave him a bit of breathing room with an incredible opposite field home run. That made it 4-2, which was plenty for Lidge, who put the Giants down in order to send the series back home.

We’ll keep you abreast of the Halladay situation, which is not a hindrance at this point with Roy Oswalt going Saturday and Cole Hamels on Sunday, if necessary.

But I know what you’re thinking; Sunday will be necessary.

1. bacardipr05

October 22, 2010 at 12:50 am

The baseball gods smiled on us today. We need them to smile twice more. Even if we lose this i still rather go down with a fight. However, it is possible that we can win take it 1 game at a time.

2. Ryan

October 22, 2010 at 1:03 am

ANYBODY WHO SEES BRIAN WILSON IN THE BP SATURDAY MUST THROW CANS OF SHAVING CREAM AT HIM!! Pass it on.

3. bostonkate

October 22, 2010 at 1:04 am

Halladay is BADASS. To keep going out there and doing what he did is incredible and it shows how badly he wants this.
    I think tons of ballplayers could learn from his humility and work ethic.

4. Andrew from waldorf

October 22, 2010 at 1:07 am

It was 20% chance to win the series coming into today. Its at 38.5% chance now. So I am saying you have a chance.

Hats off to Big Roy for gutting it out.

I am keeping it positive the rest of the way. So no comments on utley and Howard.

Werth is a playoff guy. I am thinking we need him more than we need some other high profile/paid players. I am aboard now. Because with a team like the Phillies or the Yankees its about playoffs more than regular season. We should make the playoffs by osmosis every year. What happens in oct and early nov is the key.

5. Andrew from waldorf

October 22, 2010 at 1:10 am

Lying in bed just like disheveled Brian Wilson did.

The Phils beat him once this series. thats still coming up also.

6. MikeB.

October 22, 2010 at 1:17 am

The Phillies also have to be thankful and motivated that they can play in front of their own fans now again and not have to see and listen to those those crazy San Francisco fans.

7. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 22, 2010 at 1:18 am

That’s him,” Shane Victorino said. “I don’t know what word you can put on him. Do you want to use ‘Superhero?'” That works.

8. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 22, 2010 at 1:19 am

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, DON’T CARE IF WE EVER PLAY AT S.F. AGAIN-I REALLY,REALLY,REALLY HATE THAT PARK!!!

9. biz

October 22, 2010 at 1:21 am

Doc Halladay is the best. Even when he aint got it, he still got it. Yamean?

10. biz

October 22, 2010 at 1:24 am

Let me say, on Jeff’s behalf: RYAN HOWARD’S CONTRACT.

11. Andrew from waldorf

October 22, 2010 at 1:28 am

Howard and Utley are so due at home.
    Both are over paid though.
    I say release them both and put 35 million a year on the table for Werth.

Werth has so won me over. Even the defensive plays.

You could see Doc was off. He manned up. Like Werth.
    tie for Howard and Utley to man up. At the bandbox especially.

12. biz

October 22, 2010 at 1:40 am

Andrew….

They could pay them both 600000000000m…..

Who would u rather have….?

13. Andrew from waldorf

October 22, 2010 at 1:49 am

@ Biz you know I am playing around.

Werth has won me over on a level that is very high.

If things continue. Id take Werth over any phillie on the roster. Except Ruiz and Halladay and Hamels and little Roy.

Utley and Howard 0 RBI.
    Reminds me of last year with bad Cole and Pedro.
    Its game 6 of NLCS with that happening. Its a miracle.

14. jt

October 22, 2010 at 2:01 am

letting werth go is gonna stink because who will be the righty bat thats a threat in our lineup?i wish we could find a way to move raul and even j-roll and open up payroll to bring werth back.

15. brooks

October 22, 2010 at 2:17 am

I just don’t see how getting rid of Jroll or Utley would do the Phils any good. Who would replace them? I too saw how terrific Valdez played, but, he is a utility IF for a reason.

Anyway, I wanted to say that the MVP for this series so far (IMHO) is Ryan Madson. He has been virtually untouchable.

I also believe that Utley, Howard & Ibanez will open up at home here. Let’s hope so. We need a big offensive outing in at least 1 of these games, 2 would be better.

16. Andrew from waldorf

October 22, 2010 at 2:25 am

I have been here all year saying how Werth is gone and its a good thing.
    I didnt expect the entire team except him to tank.
    Its not even about a right handed bat. Its about fire.
    @Brooks if you are going to pay Werth you need to deal a contract.
    Thats all I am saying. If they lose this series a shake up is due and deserved.
    Madson and Lidge both were my #3 MVPs for this year. They have done all that could be asked.

17. brooks

October 22, 2010 at 2:28 am

Lidge was near heartburn in game 2 – Madson has’nt even given me gas

Well, you know what I mean = )

18. Ryan H.

October 22, 2010 at 3:00 am

well. a hurt roy halladay beat a healthy tim lincecum. that’s beast warrior status!!!! they should send his jock strap to cooperstown and hang it next to curt schilling’s bloody sock

19. brooks

October 22, 2010 at 3:19 am

I will have to admit – this series so far belongs to Werth, Madson and Lidge.

20. brooks

October 22, 2010 at 3:20 am

2 more wins to go and I’m acting like we won it all – projections run high.

21. ExcuseHater

October 22, 2010 at 6:00 am

What time is the game on Saturday? If the Rangers finish it tonight, does that change things?

22. Ted Bell

October 22, 2010 at 6:33 am

Yes, if the AL series is over tonight the Phillies become the 8:00 game. Otherwise it remains at 3:30.

I’m Ted Bell.

23. Ted Bell

October 22, 2010 at 6:35 am

Next time your found, with your chin on the ground
    There a lot to be learned, so look around

Just what makes that little old ant
    Think he’ll move that rubber tree plant
    Anyone knows an ant, can’t
    Move a rubber tree plant

But he’s got high hopes, he’s got high hopes
    He’s got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time your gettin’ low
    ’stead of lettin’ go
    Just remember that ant
    Oops there goes another rubber tree plant

I’m Ted Bell.

24. Chuck

October 22, 2010 at 7:28 am

One down.

Just focus on the next game.

PHILS IN 7!!!!!!!

25. Phillistein

October 22, 2010 at 7:34 am

WOO HOO

Phillies in 5

26. BrewTown PhilsPhan

October 22, 2010 at 7:40 am

Honestly, I did not think we would do enough to beat Lincecum last night. Now that we did (just enough) I actually feel pretty confident about two games in Philly. I don’t care if Oswalt and Hammels are 1-2 for this series so far. Oswalt’s loss is a fluke nothing, his win was huge, and Hammels actually pitched quite well. No way Cain does what he did a second time, so really, we’re set up OK. Everyone says the offense needs to roar to life, and that would be great, but honestly, the way the pitching is going in this series, a few opportunistic runs here and there and we could win this thing without a huge offensive explosion.

Still think Wednesday night was a shame, but we got back home, so we have reason to be optimistic.

27. Chuck

October 22, 2010 at 7:58 am

Phillistein, am I missing something with the “Phillies in 5”?? Or are you trying to display some sort of a hidden message?

28. Phillistein

October 22, 2010 at 8:27 am

Hey – you stick to your predictions and I’ll stick to mine.

29. Chuck

October 22, 2010 at 8:28 am

ooooo-k then.

30. Phillistein

October 22, 2010 at 9:04 am

This from Philly.com

“Burrell disagreed with the called third strike, and as he was talking to home plate umpire Jeff Nelson, Halladay stared at him while walking off the field.

Burrell took exception. According to our best lip-reading efforts, the left fielder inquired, “What the (bleep) are you looking at? What the (bleep) are you looking at, mother-(bleeper)?”

Hmmmmmm.

Ol Pat feelin his oats it seems. Later hit a double off Doc but then got owned by Madson in the 8th.

31. Bob Myers

October 22, 2010 at 9:10 am

Yeah, this was Burrell being a total jerk, with no respect for our Ace.

Doc’s response was so classy not returning the disrespect at all. By the way, I don’t see Doc swear and use the F word like most of the other players. In fact, last night was the only time I’ve seen him show any feelings while pitching at all.

JROLL spoke directly to Philly fans last night, telling those at the ballpark on Saturday and Sunday to “give them the business, all of them”.

That video should be posted on here, and there ought to be a thread of entries on suggestions for different Giants players. Huff was sporting championship thongs before last nights game. Perhaps we need to remind him that his thong was wrong.

32. Phillistein

October 22, 2010 at 9:16 am

Bob, where did you see the video?

or was it just an interview after the game?

MLB.com has some great videos of the game. One of my favorites was Doc’s reaction after Werth threw Ross out at third. That ol boy was PUMPED

33. biz

October 22, 2010 at 9:46 am

_______________________

Makes me proud to be from Philly.

34. biz

October 22, 2010 at 9:46 am

This series is far from over, folks.

35. Adam

October 22, 2010 at 9:54 am

If Ruben learns anything during this playoff run it is that keeping JWerth is simply imperative. Move Raul if you have to, eat the salary. Do whatever it takes because without him the Phillies have no shot in the playoffs. Give the guy 5/90 million. Keep him happy. He is the key to the entire lineup.

Halladay’s pitching performance is up there with the Schilling bloody sock game. I mean just think about it, he outdueled an tremendous pitcher and a red hot team on one leg. This guy is from another planet. If they can just find a way to get it to game 7, I like the Phillies chances.

I am pulling for Texas to win tonight so the Phillies can play at 8 pm instead of 4 pm tomorrow (phils play like crap in afternoon games).

Gutsy win. So proud to be a fan of this team.

36. Paul

October 22, 2010 at 10:01 am

Bullpen should get an Honorable Ashburn Mention for the performance last night, especially Madson. He was dealin!

37. sportsphan

October 22, 2010 at 10:05 am

Several things:
    1. DO NOT THROW ANYTHING AT ANYONE in the bullpen. I’m sick and tired of this city being portrayed as a bunch of thugs. Don’t give them any ammunition.
    2. Sick and tired of hearing Buck and McCarver blather about our lack of hitting. We’ve produced more runs in this series so far than the Giants have. If they’re going to talk about OUR lack of offense, they have to talk about theirs, which, of course, they haven’t.
    3. Sick and tired of Buck and McCarver, period. McCarver is starting to lose it, and Buck hates the Phillies.
    4. I still think that “if it seems too good to be true, it probably is”, but there seems to all of a sudden be a different attitude about this team. I’m not real confident about Oswalt after the way he pitched Wednesday night, but even I, the everlasting nay-sayer, am willing to think there’s a breath, however faint, of hope.

38. sportsphan

October 22, 2010 at 10:10 am

Also loved what J-Roll had to say, but he didn’t say anything about giving them the business. The direct quote is “Be out there. Let them have it. Let…them…have…it. All of them.” Absolutely fabulous. That’s what I mean that there all of a sudden seems to be a different air about these guys.

39. Phillistein

October 22, 2010 at 10:12 am

Jayson Werth is palying his last games as a Phillie.

We’re going to have to start dealing with that fact. Raul, while I love him, is virtually untradable. We would probably have to eat 90% of his salary.

But………….that’s for the coming months. Biggest game of the year is Saturday.

Phillies in 5

40. biz

October 22, 2010 at 10:14 am

sportsphan,

Instead of focusing on how Oswalt threw on his tossing day, think back to his start vs Sanchez. He was dealing. He’ll be dealing again.

41. sportsphan

October 22, 2010 at 10:30 am

Oh, biz, I hope, hope, hope you are right. And for all of you who want to keep Werth, remember all his dry spells where he strikes out with men on base. One of those spells just ended a few days ago. I’ve totally gotten used to the idea of having him gone next year. Time to bring up Brown for good and watch him grow.

42. biz

October 22, 2010 at 10:31 am

Browns gonna be in RF next year. And There’s going to be a platoon in left with Ibanez and Fransisco.

43. Chuck

October 22, 2010 at 10:40 am

“If Ruben learns anything during this playoff run it is that keeping JWerth is simply imperative.”

I am wondering if Adam felt that way during the regular season when 98% of the fanbase was calling for Werth to be traded??

44. Jeff

October 22, 2010 at 10:47 am

im shocked to find out biz is a greeter at walmart. wow man your tough. your cool. you are da man.

45. The Original Chuck P

October 22, 2010 at 10:48 am

If that doesn’t get you pumped up, nothing will…

46. Chuck

October 22, 2010 at 11:03 am

OCP…

I was thinking the same thing last night when I saw the interview with Leslie Gudel.

Feelin’ good.

PHILS IN 7!!!!!!!

47. The Original Chuck P

October 22, 2010 at 11:17 am

As painful as it has been for us, this has been a very entertaining series. I can’t wait until this weekend.

Buck pisses me off… he kept coming back to the bunt that should have been called foul but he never mentioned that the call actually favored the Giants. If Sandoval turns around and steps on the bag, that’s a double play. But Buck inserts his douchery and tries to make a missed call be the story line. The call was wrong in their favor… we made it work for us.

Ibanez redeemed himself last night… big game for Raul.

Victorino deserves a lot of credit for how hard he played- getting to second on that Huff error was a key play in the game.

Werth’s HR gave Lidge breathing room and it made the batters have to sit back and look at strikes. Instead of thinking, “One swing can tie it up.” They’re thinking, “I’ve gotta get on base.” Werth’s HR essentially spotted Lidge a strike to every batter.

48. Chuck

October 22, 2010 at 11:32 am

49. Bart Shart

October 22, 2010 at 11:34 am

Let’s give a tip of the hat to our bullpen, especially Ryan Madsen and Brad Lidge, who was lights-out in the ninth. I am very optimistic with the Phils back in Philly this weekend. GO PHILS !!!!!

50. Phan in the outfield

October 22, 2010 at 11:59 am

sportsphan, Phillistein & biz: I hope you’re wrong about Werth’s time as a Phillie. I still think they’ll work it out. I think RAJ would be wrong not to. I also think it would be bad for the team if they didn’t find a way to work it out. But I’ve said that before. And you’ve made your thoughts clear before. Why is this constantly in discussion? Brown isn’t ready to be RF or take Werth’s place in the line-up. As for dry spells – the entire team has dry spells. Victorino’s day-to-day is dry/wet/dry/wet. Don’t get me started w/Ibanez. Howard is in a “dry spell” now – no RBIs in the playoffs. And he didn’t do anything in the playoffs last yr either. Stats that not many point to. Why are these acceptable for one player & not another?

Did anyone hear them say that Charlie has never lost a game 5? Never heard that one before. I might’ve felt mildly better if they’d told us that prior to game 5.

JAY – I’m happy someone else hates that park as much as I do. If we never play there again, it’ll be too soon.

Werth’s interviews on FOX & MLB after the game were funny. He seemed relieved even though he was trying to look cool. He said the same thing on both channels — he deflected attention from the HR & talked about how they were going ‘… to hop the bird; get back to Philly; back to our park; back to our fans; and work on the next game.’

Halladay was funny too. That twerp Rosenthal asked about ‘… the words you had with Burrell’. Doc had a tiny smirk and said, ‘Pat had words. I just looked over to see what was going on.’ He’s good.

51. Phan in the outfield

October 22, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Bart’s right – the bullpen was fantastic last night. Madsen & Lidge were just possessed. It was a thing of beauty.

52. Bob in Bucks

October 22, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Seems everyone is back on the bandwagon. Really folks, now Werth is untouchable? I remember all the posts about RIPS earlier this year. Too many of you run hot and cold depending on the last game or two. Fortunately we have professional management in Amaro and Manuel who know that baseball is a game of failure – you have to view the long-term value and then play the percentage.

As I said the other day, re Ibanez, don’t walk away from a slot machine because you always lose, it will pay out soon.

Same goes for Howard and Utley. By the way, Howard is doing fine in BA, he can’t drive in runners that are not on base.

October 22, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Chuck- I like it!

October 22, 2010 at 12:31 pm

OCP- Thanks I hadn’t heard what Jimmy said, it’s much more impactful to hear than then just reading it.

55. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 22, 2010 at 12:48 pm

PHAN-WE ARE 14-40 ALL TIME IN AT&T BALL PARK,I HOPE A EARTHQUAKE WIPES THAT PLACE OUT…..LOL

56. Bacardipr05

October 22, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Man i really want the Phils to win this..but its highly unlikely…yea Werth sucked all year w RISP…however he is the only one d oing much in the playoffs..even our secret weapon Chooch has been quiet…a .190 team average is going to cut it unless Contreras is doing some type of Vodoo an the gods smile on us…

October 22, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Bob in Bucks- I am one of the most vocal supporters of Ryan Howard on this site. Jay knows it, Biz, chuck, everyone.

But it really is time for our cleanup batter to come up big. Forget the historical stats, we need him right now. It’s true that he has not had many opportunities to knock in runs, but he has left 9 baserunners on in 8 games. Not horrible if it were regular season, but also not acceptable in the postseason. He’s a star and he needs to shine.

I believe in him, and believe he will snap out of it, but right now I can’t defend his lack of production, we need him NOW.

58. Eamonn

October 22, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Phan in the outfield, your quote

“Howard is in a “dry spell” now – no RBIs in the playoffs. And he didn’t do anything in the playoffs last yr either.”

might need to be re-thought. I realize that he hasn’t been able to do anything with runners on base this year but last year, he started the postseason with with rbi’s in at least 8 straight games. We’ve all seen the kind of production that can come from Howard so maybe a little paitence will pay off. I surely hope so.

59. Phillistein

October 22, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Phan – nothing would make me happier than to see Werth out there next year. I just don’t see it happening – unless the Phillies are prepared to go over $150 Million. And EVERYTHING thats come out of the organization implies that they’re NOT.

Werth’s numbers aside – I’ve always felt that there is a great deal to be said for team chemistry – and clubhouse environment. And I think Werth is a big contributor to that chemistry. So, aside from his cannon for an arm, power threat from the right side and ability to steal bases, among other things – his presence has, I believe, has meant a great deal to the run this team is on.

60. The Original Chuck P

October 22, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Forget next year- let’s win tomorrow and win on Sunday. That’s how you keep players around. It’s all about winning…

SAID!

October 22, 2010 at 2:20 pm

SAID!!!

haha Awesome!

62. Phan in the outfield

October 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm

JAY: lol, well I don’t know about an earthquake, but that place gives ME the quakes. I think we should try & talk Wes Craven into doing a horror movie shoot there and make the rest of the world hate that place too. Maybe then they’ll feel compelled to tear the place down er something.

Bob in Bucks: I was never off the bandwagon. Been there since I was small, only I used be crying on that bandwagon.

Eamonn: Please re-read. I said Howard hasn’t had RBI’s in the PLAYOFFS because he hasn’t. He also had the same problem this time last yr. Please look it up. This has nothing to do with my thoughts and everything to do with his stats. That’s all. I wasn’t talking about his SEASON.

Maybe take some of your own advice. If we’re going to discuss using patience, then I think patience should be used across the board, for all the players. It wasn’t used at all for Werth this summer. I refer you to Bill Baer’s article “The Werth Hate Fest Continues” at http://www.crashburnalley.com You’ll find it noted as the site’s top article on the right-side scroll bar. He boils down the treatment Werth received at the hands of sports writers & fan bloggers alike this summer very well.

63. Phan in the outfield

October 22, 2010 at 2:35 pm

SAID!

64. Chuck

October 22, 2010 at 3:00 pm

65. biz

October 22, 2010 at 3:08 pm

_____________

No one batting in front of him has an average higher than .200 in the post season. He can’t drive in runners that aren’t there.

As for last year, he didn’t hit much in the WS, but he did set the post season record for consecutive games with an RBI and he did win the NLCS MVP award. Both feats are pretty hard to do if you’re “not doing much”

66. charlie

October 22, 2010 at 3:43 pm

I feel good being back in So. Philly where it will be rockin’ I believe that we have the EXPERIENCE to win 2 elimination games before our fightin’ fans. Timely hitting and pitching. The Giants will have the tightness in the posterior and Sanchez and Cain ain’t ever had to pitch with so much on the line.

67. The Original Chuck P

October 22, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Give him the Biz… Biz.

Let… them… have… it.

ALL OF THEM. Fo’ real.

Said

68. handley11

October 23, 2010 at 10:54 pm

wow, i love doc so much, he doesn’t wimp out when he pulls a muscle, and he doesn’t let us down. he, in one word, is invincible.