News

Oswalt Chomping at the Bit

It’s why he OK’d the trade to Philadelphia. He wanted to pitch in a meaningful October baseball game again. He’ll get his wish later on today.

Sounds a lot like Roy Halladay, but Roy Oswalt’s circumstances are somewhat similar. Oswalt was part of a Houston Astros team that decided it was completely renovating moving forward and would cut ties with a few fan favorites. Along with Lance Berkman, “The Other Roy” was shipped out as Ed Wade cleaned house. The Phillies received him at a bargain-basement cost and in the process became the most top-heavy pitching staff in baseball.

Now part of “H2O”, Oswalt will quickly find out just how intense playoff baseball is. He’s been through the most daunting challeneges, so he should be prepared. In 2005 with Houston, Oswalt took home the NLCS MVP award as the Astros pitched their way through the St. Louis Cardinals for the right to play the Chicago White Sox. The journey didn’t end with a ring for Oswalt – the White Sox swept the Astros – and the ensuing years became rocky for the franchise.

On July 30, he embraced the challenge of pitching in Philadelphia and accepted the fact the Astros were moving on by dropping his no-trade clause. In return, he was instantly embraced here. A 7-1 record with a 1.74 ERA was the final tally for the diminutive righty, helping to slingshot the Phillies past the Braves in the NL East. Now, it’s all about the playoffs.

It’s unlikely he’ll be able to match the Game 1 start put together by Roy Halladay, but you’d better believe this bulldog of a pitcher will give it his all. He’s pitched like a man possessed, sporting the best numbers of the three since the deal was made.

What can we expect from him tonight? Probably not a no-no, but you’ll get all-out effort for sure.

October 8, 2010 at 10:14 am

Sequels are rarely as good the originals… but I think this will be a damn good one anyway. What a great day for baseball: I’ll be watching from 6 pm till the end of the Giants-Braves game (midnight?).

GO PHILLIES! GO ROY#2!!!!!!!!

2. Groty

October 8, 2010 at 11:17 am

Do ya’ll ever check your email? I sent something to you.

3. Phillistein

October 8, 2010 at 11:29 am

One of the factors attributed to Hamel’s success this year is that, by signing Halladay, it took some pressure off Cole as he didn’t have to be seen as the franchise’s No. 1 pitcher.

SOOOOOooooooooo, let’s say Roy2 goes out and throws a 3 hit shutout. (we should be so lucky right?) Is Cole now going to put added pressure on himself to be as good as the Roys?

The thing that I love bout the Roys is that they look like they can chew nails and have ice water in their veins. Cole not so much. Hopefully he can learn by their example and just calm the %$#& down.

Watched the Yank game last night. Did anyone really think they weren’t set up for this run. You can collect all the sportswriters picks, bundle them up – and it will still cost $4 to get over the Ben Franklin Bridge.

What’s impressive about the Yanks IMHO – their bench!!!

And how the hell did they add Berkman AND Woods in the middle of the year?

Sheesh

4. Kate

October 8, 2010 at 11:48 am

I think Roy keeps us in it. He’s gonna smoke some of those Reds.

5. Bandwagon in HOU

October 8, 2010 at 11:59 am

There’s nothing more incendiary than wathching Roy O hum a 95 mph, up in the zone four seamer past a righty then come back with that 75 mph 12 to 6er. Astros’ fans are thrilled he ended up with a winner in your Phillies and can watch him in October once again.

6. Bart Shart

October 8, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Roy is a tough competitor and I am happy he is a Phillie. I look forward to a top-notch performance from a true professional tonight. He won me over with his performance as a Phillie this year.

7. Terry

October 8, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Only 5 1/2 hours until game time, the minutes can’t go any slower. I have a feeling Lil’ Roy is going to come out throwing smoke and the bats are going to be all over Arroyo. Phils take this one in belittling fashion, and polish off the downtrodden Reds on Sunday!

8. robbie e

October 8, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Hamels looked pretty calm and collected in the 2008 World Series. A championship is not something the Roys have as of yet! I don’t think the Roys are going to put any pressure on Hamels.

9. bfo_33

October 8, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I thought the Phils would handily beat the Reds the first game, then have a few close games, go to 4. At that time, Friday night was supposed to be chilly, wind blowing in. But game time temp in the low 70s, dropping to the low to mid 60s by the end of the game, wind blowing out to right.

Oswalt doesn’t need to be Halladay, the bats will come alive against Arroyo, who is not real strong against lefties, won’t have the benefit of a stiff wind blowing in. Arroyo will be watching from the clubhouse by the 4th inning as the bats come alive early and often, game will be out of hand. If Roy goes 7, gives up 2, we’ll be in great shape.

One of the benefits Oswalt and Hamels have is the game rest between each game, will take off some of the pressure to match Doc. Oswalt admittedly was over-pumped for his first Phils start, but I don’t expect that tonight.

Anybody see a line up yet? Assume PP is batting 2nd, but who is leading off?

10. betasigmadeltashag

October 8, 2010 at 1:00 pm

hoping to be a little more consistant on the offensive side tonight, neeed to hit their pen more. I am hereing that Polly is supose to play

11. betasigmadeltashag

October 8, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Will at work, hoping to see most of it have a big party around 8 pm whick kind of sucks, but will have it on DVR when I get home. The Rays and Twins just look over matched, did not see Texas playing this well, or are the Rays just Choocking big time

12. bostonkate

October 8, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Goddamnit, I’m so mad I’m missing tonight’s game. And not only that, I’m no longer in boston to kick it with the boston/philly crew.

Gahhhh.

13. Chuck

October 8, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I expect nothing less than a perfect game by Oswalt.

14. Andrew from waldorf

October 8, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I desperately wanted the Phillies to try to get kerry Woods.

Berkman? Yawn.

I still dont like the Yankees that much this year. They do certainly own the Twins though. In a way Id like it to be the Phils-Yankees in the series. Its a win-win for the phillies IMO

Watch it be the Rangers and Cliff. I think thats more probable.

15. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 8, 2010 at 1:41 pm

State of umpiring is a mess. ESPN.com has confirmed there will be a rare meeting b/w umps, players, MLB this winter: http://es.pn/aE3VWe

16. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 8, 2010 at 1:42 pm

ROY2 TAKES CARE OF BIZZ,THE OFFENCE COMES OUT BLAZING AND WE GO UP 2-0…………….LETS DO THIS!!!!!!

17. Andrew from waldorf

October 8, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Bonson Arroyo is a straight skell

dont know if thats good or bad. Sometimes we dont hit skells.

But I think they will hit him tonight.

His hair is dreamy.

October 8, 2010 at 1:51 pm

No Rangers and Cliff! -enough with the standing O’s for former stars lately.

19. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 8, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Phillies Game 2 lineup: Victorino 8, Polanco 5, Utley 4, Howard 3, Werth 9, Rollins 6, Ibanez 7, Ruiz 2, Oswalt 1

20. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 8, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I LIKE THIS LINEUP!!!!!!!!!!

October 8, 2010 at 1:59 pm

The flippin TBS announcers are the worse thing about these playoffs. You’d think MLB would want to promote the sport to make more people like it.

Joe Pesci
    “It’s about the money, it’s always about the money”

22. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 8, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Halladay “I wouldn’t pass up the opportunity I’ve had this year for anything”

October 8, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Great lineup, kudos to the old man

24. Andrew from waldorf

October 8, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I hope they dont expand instant replay i am against it in all sports.

I like Rollins furthur back too. Shane seems to have learned patience and taking pitches at the top of the line up. Jimmy still hasnt learned that it seems.

October 8, 2010 at 2:02 pm

There’s always an unsung hero in the playoffs. Someone that you wouldn’t expect. Last year unfortuantely it was Hidecccchhhi Matsui,

This year?? I was thinking maybe Joe Blanton in the LCS or WS

Anyone else want to take a shot?

26. Andrew from waldorf

October 8, 2010 at 2:02 pm

@ Lefty
    The TBS is bad. Be thankful that we dont have Buck Martinez at least.
    And no one is as bad as Tim Mccarver

27. Chuck

October 8, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Andrew, I think the Phils have a better chance against the Yankees as opposed to the Rangers.

But let’s take care of the Reds first and then probably(?) the Giants.

October 8, 2010 at 2:03 pm

There are no breaks, no easy outs in that lineup. Nightmare for the Reds

29. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 8, 2010 at 2:04 pm

The lineups, plus some notes http://bit.ly/c4T57S

30. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 8, 2010 at 2:04 pm

THE REDS MADE CHANGES TOO……

31. Andrew from waldorf

October 8, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I like Valdez when he plays
    He was AWESOME at 3rd in the no no
    and the bottom of the line up is always invovled

People are missing that Doc had an RBi and Run scored in the no no.
    Makes it possibly the greatest perfrmance ever in any sport.

32. Andrew from waldorf

October 8, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I am still very respectful of the Reds. The game 1 win was huge.
    But we need tongiht. And we need to hit. Reds win tonight and they are right in there and they take over home field.

That Doc is pitching game 4 and we already won game 1 makes the Phils a heavy favorite.

October 8, 2010 at 2:08 pm

The thing is, these schmucks can’t even judge a fly ball correctly. Why not get some professionals that do play by play everyday for non playoff teams . I guess Brian Anderson isn’t that bad, but he didn’t really capture the moment on Wednesday.

But Ernie Johnson????

I finally turned on the radio/computer during our game- much better to hear our guys but the timing was off by more than a few seconds.

34. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 8, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I AGREE,GAME 1 WAS BIG!!IF WE WIN TONIGHT,THE SERIES IS OVER.IT WOULD JUST BE TO BIG OF A HOLE FOR THE REDS TO CLIMB OUT OF!!!!

35. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Roy Oswalt vs the Reds in his career? How about 23-3 w/a 2.81 ERA….

October 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm

JPB- the umps always look bad this time of year, it happens every single year. Maybe they’d be better if they just stuck with a 4 man crew.

Commish will never allow an extension of any kind replay.

“I,I,I,I,I,I can’t see the need for it, I,I,I,I,I have to protect the integrity of the game” (He didn’t really say that, it was just in my head)

October 8, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I read that Phillips and Votto have very good numbers against Roy 2… and now Linx, who apparently owns him, is also in the lineup. So we gotta be careful…

It’s a shame that Ibanez and Chooch –currently better hitters than Jimmy– are 7th and 8th in the lineup, but at least J-roll isn’t leading off. He also has good numbers vs Arroyo and I guess he spreads the lefties even more… Normally, a manager could choose to leave its lefty reliever in the game when facing Utley-Howard-Werth-Ibanez, since if you get the first two out you can afford to let him face Werth… but now inserting a switch hitter in there will likely force the manager to make a change.

October 8, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Bronson Arroyo v Phils
    1-5 5.54

39. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 8, 2010 at 2:17 pm

LEFTY-WITH ALL THE BAD CALLS SO FAR I THOUGHT I WOULD JUST POST THE LINK,SINCE ITS A HOT TOPIC RIGHT NOW……..

40. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 8, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Asked Halladay if he did ANYthing special. Nope. “I’m very conscious of making sure that I keep my nose to the grindstone.”

October 8, 2010 at 2:20 pm

It was a good link JPB- I hope they do have the meeting.

But the Commish ain’t changing anything
    “I,I,I,I, am incapable of seeing the big picture.”

42. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 8, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Roy Oswalt career at Citizens Bank Park: 9-0, 2.10 (5-0 since joining the Phillies)

43. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 8, 2010 at 2:21 pm

YEA LEFTY,THE COMMISH GETS A BIG LOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

44. Andrew from waldorf

October 8, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I dont mind the umpiring at all and the bad calls seem to go against the philly teams usually.
    no more replay ever. in any sport

The one announcer the phils had is the guy from the braves and hes horrible. But at least it isnt the braves play by play guy too who is awful.

The D backs have a gppd team Sutton and Grace. Would love to have them.

But I am flat out dreading Mccarver so i am happy now

October 8, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Prediction- Remember you heard it here first.

If any of H2O should falter, (not likely) CB Joe comes up big to save the day.

46. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 8, 2010 at 2:28 pm

ANDREW-I ACTUALLY LIKE THE ANNOUNCERS,AT LEAST THE BRAVES GUY KNOWS ALOT ABOUT THE PHILLIES…………

47. bfo_33

October 8, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Oswalt pitched against a lot of bad Reds team – his record is a bit misleading. Votto and Bruce have hit him before. With that said, I love our line-up tonight – Rollins looks like he has his stroke back, Ibanez batting 7th is almost unfair, and Chooch is a great #8 hitter – doesn’t try to do too much, will take the walks to turn over the line-up, but will also cause damage when he gets his pitch. We should beat up Arroyo, give Roy a lead early.

Darling and Smoltz are decent, as bad as Ernie Johnson is, still better than Buck and McCarver (although he has all the excitement of someone announcing anti-pasta preparation).

October 8, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Andrew,
    Yeeeahhh buuuuuuttt Tiiiiimm McCaaarveeeer explaaaaiiins everythiiiiing abooouuuut theee gaaaame. You Seeee the Seeeecond Baaasemaaan diiiiidn’t moooove to hiiiis feeeeeet faaaaaaast enough foooor the speeeeeeed of the baaaaasebaaaaall.

If I had the means I’d either blow out my brains or the TV screen out

49. Andrew from waldorf

October 8, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Hes bad!
    But nothing compares to Mccarver for 2 series.
    I am so dreading it like the plague. How does he have a job and keep it this long? But then again Jon Miller went into the hall f fame this year.

Blanton will be fine in a game 4. Hes always been good in that role.
    Just please no one talk about using on short rest. Its dumb and messes with a godd thing. Doc maybe at the tail end of the WS but thats it.

50. Andrew from waldorf

October 8, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Im waiting for the home team feed button on the TV.
    I have a friend who does the navy football broadcasts. So I do put the radio on and watch on TV but it doesnt match up.
    They have spanish and closed caption should have a button to get alternate announcers.
    Buck Martinez is close to mccarver. Thank god we dont have him. makes this crappy guy seem tolerable.
    would love to have the phls radio broadcast available on the TV synched up.

October 8, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Tough crowd this afternoon, Oh well at least I got a laugh from Jay.

Come on back folks I’ll be here all week.

October 8, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I wonder if there is a patent for that, you may have stumbled on to something.

October 8, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Joe Buck is overated too IMO
    He doesn’t even come close to his dad. Can you say MONOTONE?

Jack Buck
    “I don’t believe what I just saw!” That’s what we needed for Doc’s incredible performance the other night.

54. Andrew from waldorf

October 8, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Joe Buck is bad. But when you are sitting next to Mccarver as a broadcaster its tough to look bad.

I do miss Harry Carey and Jack buck and the old time guys.

when I was a kid youd come home from school youd put on WGN and watch the cubs and listen to harry carrey.

Heres a classic.
    You dont get this anymore. Harrys kid and grand kid arent even any good 🙁

55. bfo_33

October 8, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I think Miller is the best national play by play guy, but the bar isn’t set terribly high. I’ve never been a big Wheels fan, but am slowly gaining appreciation for him. Unlike a lot of the other guys, at least he seems to enjoy the game.

56. Chuck

October 8, 2010 at 2:58 pm

THIS is where it’s at:

Makes all these other bozos irrelevant….

October 8, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Did you know that back on the 60’s Harry Carey and Jack Buck worked radio together for the Cardinals. It was one of the strongest radio stations at night- I’m thinking it was KMOX

58. Chuck

October 8, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Wheeler’s ok.

Miller is better on the radio…..Joe Morgan makes him look bad….because Morgan SUCKS as an analyst.

October 8, 2010 at 3:01 pm

That’s a great link Chuck – Thank You!

Simply the Best!!!!

60. Eamonn

October 8, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Jon Miller is terrible, seriously. Everytime he says Carlos bel-TRON, I want to shoot myself. The fact that he’s in the HOF and Pete Rose isn’t shows you the kind of yahoos that get to make some baseball decisions.