Oswalt, Rollins Team Up to Tie Series, 1-1 – Phillies Nation
2010 Game Recaps

Oswalt, Rollins Team Up to Tie Series, 1-1

—Citizens Bank Park

If you said you weren’t at least slightly nervous before the Phillies and Giants took the field for Game 2 of the NLCS, you’re a liar. You’re a liar because the Phillies had seldom seen themselves trailing in a series. You’re a liar because you weren’t sure which team would show up. You’re a liar because you, as a fan, are unfamiliar with watching this team lose on their home turf.

Even though Cody Ross abruptly ended a no-hit bid once again, Roy Oswalt, along with Jimmy Rollins, was able to soothe that lingering anxiety by pitching eight fantastic innings in the Phillies 6-1 win. Oswalt was a completely different pitcher than in Game 2 of the NLDS against Cincinnati and it showed with his fastball. Against the Reds, it lacked life and he was smacked around. Tonight, it had pop and it helped him to hold the Giants without a hit into the fifth inning.

Rollins had been MIA for a while now, beginning the series just 1-for-15 before finally making his presence felt. “Rollins” and “presence felt” haven’t joined forces in quite sometime, but in the seventh, they were a match made in heaven.

That huge seventh was put in motion because of the bat of Jimmy Rollins. He didn’t take the swing, however, Roy Oswalt used Rollins’ bat to single to left-center field to begin the inning. Oswalt said he had tried it in BP two days ago and asked J-Roll for help. It worked.

“He (Oswalt) used my bat tonight, and that gave me a lot of confidence tonight actually…See the bat still had hits in it,” Rollins said. “It’s just the person using it.”

Following Oswalt’s leadoff single, Shane Victorino sacrificed him to second base, as Manuel went to the small ball, something seldom seen. Chase Utley was intentionally walked before Placido Polanco singled to center field, setting up a play at the plate that should never have been.

Running on contact from second, Oswalt turned third and blew through Sam Perlozzo’s stop sign, but slide just under the tag of Buster Posey to give the Phils an extra run. “I read it pretty well off the bat,” said the ever-so-speedy starting pitcher. “But as soon as he hit it, I knew it was over the infield. When I got halfway, I saw the stop sign, I said ‘it’s too late now, no turning back.’”

The insurance run gave the Phillies a 3-1 lead, which was added to shortly thereafter. Utley and Polacno would advance on a double-steal and Jayson Werth would reach on an intentional walk. With the bases clogged with Phillies, Jimmy Rollins did his best impression of the 2009 NLCS against the Dodgers by depositing a ball off the wall in right-center field to clear ‘em. It was shades of the Jon Broxton game all over again, and with one swing of the stick, J-Roll mave have gotten his groove back.

The bases-clearing double made it 6-1 and put the Giants away for good.

In the eighth inning, Oswalt believed he had been pulled by Charlie Manuel with two on and two out, but the skipper stuck with the “Other Roy.” “Well, I had my back turned. I saw Jimmy walking toward me. I thought Charlie was coming, so I thought he had already motioned for the bullpen, but I didn’t know for sure.”

Good thing he didn’t, because Oswalt was able to send Aubrey Huff to the dugout after grounding out to Chase Utley to end the threat. Oswalt’s poise throughout the night allowed Manuel to stay with the ace. “He asked me what I felt like,” said Oswalt. “I knew I had a few left. I honestly felt like I could get through one more.”

The only blemish for Oswalt was another monster home run by Ross, his third jack in two days. That home run to left field ended Oswalt’s attempt at a no-hitter with one out in the fifth, but it did little to shake his confidence, or Manuel’s.

Offensively, the team did a good job of staying patient with Jonathan Sanchez, pushing his pitch count to 35 after the first inning. Sanchez struggled with the “effectively wild” mantra all night, walking three while striking out seven. He was able to minimize the damage, getting through six innings with five hits and three runs – two of which were earned. The bullpen wasn’t as lucky.

No need to be nervous anymore. The Phillies and Giants head to San Francisco tied at one apiece, which certainly beats a 0-2 hole to climb out of.

1. pheeling it

October 18, 2010 at 12:57 am

Great game, I learned that Oswalt is untouchable at CBP and he’ll be home the rest of the playoffs.

2. Andrew from waldorf

October 18, 2010 at 1:01 am

The Phils handled business.
    Its what I expected. This is why they are a dynysty. They beat anyone tonight. They could afford to lose game 1.
    Now 2 of 3 in SF and clinch it in 6.

3. bacardipr05

October 18, 2010 at 1:13 am

This article hit the spot right on everyone was in Panic mode and rightfully so. Who ever says they arent even just a lil is plain BS. A practical nobody Cody Ross did us in. A few bad strike calls was really it in game 1. As we know the best team doesnt always win and anything can happen especially in baseball. I feel we definitely have to take the next game to swing the momentum back in our favor. For the 1st time we are trailing a playoff series this is where we really see what the Phils are made off…and by golly get them RISP home….Ps…Oswalt was brilliant…

4. Nunzio Scholeri

October 18, 2010 at 2:13 am

Andres Torres with the Golden Sombrero!

Is it just me, or do Phillies pitchers, as a group, really grind out good at bats way more than other teams’ staffs? I rarely see other teams’ starters fouling off pitches and getting key base hits and such the way ours do. And think about it: if Oswalt doesn’t get that hit, the rest of that inning doesn’t happen. You almost feel like you can read his mind, thinking “Well, if no one else is going to give me an insurance run, I’ll just do it my own dang self.”

On the flip side of things, Joe Buck is just awful. Just plain awful. So caught up in his self-serving attempts to be grandiose and pompous (which just come off hilarious because he seems to be barely literate, saying things like “the town that [some player] reigns from”), and so disconnected from the game he’s supposed to be sharing with us. Ugh.

5. Pat Gallen

October 18, 2010 at 2:17 am

Nunzio, they do put some good swings on pitches, however, they can’t bunt for the life of them.

6. Nunzio Scholeri

October 18, 2010 at 3:21 am

Pat, that is quite true. The Phillies in general, I’d even say, are just not a very good bunting team. Maybe it’s because Charlie’s not so big on small ball? Anyway, this was a big win, and I am happy.

7. bfo_33

October 18, 2010 at 7:21 am

A lot to be happy about last night. Most of the line-up contributed against a pitcher who gives us fits, Oswalt a terror pitching, at the plate, and on the bases. One thing the game really highlighted, especially in comparison to game 1 – Victorino has a pretty good stick from the right, but cannot hit from the left. Can we get a petition together to end his switch hitting? He couldn’t fair any worse facing righties from the right side.

8. The Dipsy

October 18, 2010 at 7:29 am

We cannot, will not, are actually incapable of, bunting. It will not be a part of our game, even though it should be, as long as Charlie is manager. To me, ignoring a real weapon that you could use as an advantage over other teams is senseless. Rollins and Victorino should be bunting masters. But they, and Charlie, would rather drink poison.

The Dipsy

9. David

October 18, 2010 at 7:48 am

Bochy really screwed up last night. If there was one out, it makes sense to intentionally walk Werth to pitch to Rollins to load the bases because you set up a force at any base and can cut off the run at home plate on a ground ball or play for the double play. If there are two outs, that move makes no sense. Bochy created a situation where his pitcher has to throw a strike when he got to 2-0 in the count. Glad he did it but not sure why.

10. NickFromGermantown

October 18, 2010 at 7:53 am

Good game yesterday. Very encouraging.

By the way, comments on (at least) the iPhone still don’t work

11. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 7:54 am

Dipsy, I agree. I have always said that EVERY MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYER SHOULD KNOW HOW TO BUNT…

…EFFECTIVELY!!!!!

Glad to to see Chase do it last night..

Oh…and about Raul…

Two challenging plays for the left-fielder..

One Saturday which he missed….and one last night which he made…

Pat Burrell doesn’t make EITHER of those plays.

Just sayin’

12. Kate

October 18, 2010 at 8:08 am

Did I have nerves? Of course. There’s always nerves in the playoffs and there would have been nerves even if the Phillies had taken Game 1.

Was I panicking? No way in hell. There’s no way this team drops two in a row at home during the playoffs. And even if they do, they’re certainly capable of picking up three on the road in the playoffs. Nothing’s over till it’s over.

Halladay and Oswalt were probably on the plane last waxing poetic on the virtues of pitching around Cody Ross to Hamels and Blanton. It’s not an impossibility, but I don’t see Hamels giving Ross the same pitch he made the Roys pay for.

In a way, I’m glad there’s a Game 5 coming because Halladay will make the Giants pay for Game 1 no matter where we are on the scoreboard by then.

13. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 8:14 am

Or…

Halladay and Oswalt were talking to Hamels and Blanton about the appropriate time to plunk Ross hard and put him on his a$$.

Seriously…this dude needs to be pushed back and pushed back in a big way.

14. sportsphan

October 18, 2010 at 8:30 am

Why does Rollins have the Jeltz award?

15. loupossehl

October 18, 2010 at 8:33 am

FROM THE WHATEVER-IT’S-WORTH DEPARTMENT:

“Cliff Lee may prefer Philadelphia over Texas or New York in free-agencyLast updated: October 16, 2010 at 13:47

ESPN’s Jason A. Churchill said that ESPN’s Rumor Central has learned that Cliff Lee may prefer Philadelphia over Texas or New York or any other city in free-agency. Churchill speculates that it may not necessarily take the most money to get him to sign a long-term deal in Philadelphia.

The Phillies may have a crowded starting rotation, but Churchill opines that GM Ruben Amaro Jr. could move Joe Blanton’s ($8.5 million each for 2011 and 2012) or Raul Ibanez’s ($11.5 million for 2011). Another option would be to move reliever Brad Lidge’s ($11.5 million for 2011) contract to free up money from the approximately $130 million committed to the 2011 payroll.

Lee is eligible for free-agency after the World Series, and the Texas Rangers will have a five-day exclusive window to negotiate with him before he hits the open markets. Lee is expected to command C,C. Sabathia-money (eight-years, $160 million) this winter. One dark horse that was recently mentioned were the Washington Nationals. The Nats are expected to keep on eye on the left-hander this winter and may overspend if necessary.”

16. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 8:41 am

There is NO WAY that Cliff Lee will sign with the Phillies. If he’s going after “CC Sabathia money” why would the Phillies even entertain that idea?

And….if Raul’s contract is moved (unlikely with his no–trade clause)…it would be so that Werth could be re-signed.

17. George

October 18, 2010 at 9:05 am

Anyone who thinks bunting is something every player should be able to do hasn’t tried doing it. It’s a difficult skill, like throwing a curveball or making a pivot on a double play. If everyone could throw curves, anyone could pitch and if anyone could make that pivot, Pat Burrell could be a second baseman.

Also, to those who think the Phils should bunt more, I’ll point out that if Oswalt hadn’t been bunted to second, he wouldn’t have scored on Polanco’s hit. The Phils also stole a few bases. If you can get to second (or third) without wasting an out, that’s a far better way to do things, and I suspect that’s why the team tries it that way.

Bunting should be reserved for those who have no power but do have speed, or for pitchers who can’t hit, or situations (like that with Oswalt) where you don’t want your runner to risk injury breaking up a potential double play.

18. Kate

October 18, 2010 at 9:15 am

The only way I’ll accept saying goodbye to Raul Ibanez and Brad Lidge is if their contracts are eaten up by Jayson Werth’s new contract. Ben Francisco can play left field. The closer situation would be more sticky without Lidge, but Madson and Contreras have platooned that position before.

Eating up two contracts for Cliff Lee is crazy talk. Especially given the fact that without Lidge’s perfect season in ’08, we don’t win the World Series, and without Raul’s great second half this year, we’re not in the playoffs right now.

If Cliff Lee really wants to come here, he won’t be asking for Sabathia money. Just like if Werth really wants to stay, he won’t be asking for more than the Phillies can possibly pay him.

19. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 9:27 am

George, if bunting is “reserved for those that have no power” then why did Chase Utley bunt last night?

Bunting IS a skill…true…but I believe that with some practice all players can do it effectively. It’s not quite like throwing an effective curveball.

Bottom line is…the Phils need to bunt more. They need to bunt more, steal more, hit to the opposite part of the diamond more to advance a runner.

“Small Ball”

It worked last night…and is not only effective…but absolutely necessary against pitchers like Lincecum and Sanchez.

20. Adam

October 18, 2010 at 9:34 am

Would love to see Lee back in a Phillies uniform but to sell off assets like Ibanez and Lidge is just ridiculous.

Unreal win tonight. I really do not understand how the Giants are even in the NLCS (I know I know their pitching is great) but everyone in their lineup is basically off the scrap heap. Outside of Cody Ross that lineup does not exactly put fear in me.

I am expecting to take the series in six.

21. Brooks

October 18, 2010 at 9:56 am

Terrific game last night. Nerves, yeeesss.. especially with the all the Phils left on base, again.

Leave Lee out of this! What we have is more than enough and we’ll be losing a key player if the Phils dont make a move to keep Werth.

Anyone else from here (aside from Pat) go last night? Although I live 25 minutes away from the stadium, by the time my buddy and I got back to his place it was already 1245 – there were some empty seats last night but still plenty of Kids till the end.

22. jeff

October 18, 2010 at 9:58 am

Tonight was a perfect example why Jroll needs to start. Everyone was saying bench him. Radio host saying the same thing. Exxon does not get that double. Jimmy is a threat. What scares me is Howard. Just does not come through with guys in scoring postion. Its almost a k everytime. Our big 125 million dollar man needs to produce.

23. Brooks

October 18, 2010 at 9:59 am

I sat in RF, directly behind Werth and the panty-hosed Cody Ross. I’m sorry, it just does not look right. Ross just needs to be plunked, hard. There was a brushback pitch by Oswalt that got the crowd cheering big.

24. Phillistein

October 18, 2010 at 10:27 am

Roy Oswalt!

Who knew we were getting such a multi-dimensional player.

He;

Can be a lights out pitching stud
    Play left field
    Pinch runner

………and did you happen to see his intro on FOX when they did the starting lineup. He basically said-will you please leave me the &%@# alone. Too Phunny!

…..and what up w/J-Roll still getting the Steve Jeltz sad sack award on the homepage?

25. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 10:32 am

I don’t think the award was changed yet from Saturday night.

26. Phillistein

October 18, 2010 at 10:36 am

Kate – agree with your take on giving up Raul and Lidge to pay for Werth. I love Raul and think he’s a real pro but he is truly showing his age against lefties as of late. However, don’t know how we can actually unload them w/o paying a significant chunk of their salaries.

If Werth does go where are we going to get that righty stud power from? Yeah, Yeah – I know – Werth isn’t exactly Rogers Hornsby but we’re going to have to do SOMETHING!!!

27. Bacardipr05

October 18, 2010 at 10:37 am

Yes we need to do something about nobody Ross…more footage needs to be reviewed on him..dont give him much…he had 3 HR almost a 4th…this nobody potential Hero needs to be stopped….RISP is coming back to kill us..we had plenty of chances in both games…Howard has to do more too many strikeouts Im sorry its the truth…but all the blame isnt just solely on him…also except for the Home Run…our secret weapon Chooch has seem to be neutralized…i hope he is ok after getting that foul ball of his mask

28. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 10:51 am

It’s amazing..

Every single time Raul starts looking terrible at the plate people forget the fact that this guy is one of the major reasons that we had the second half that we did.

1st 85 games:

.243 BA / .326 OBP / .397 SLG / .724 OPS

last 70 games:

.309 / .375 / .494 / .869

October 18, 2010 at 10:55 am

Cody Ross has hit 4 homers against Cole! This has to come to an end.

30. Bob in Bucks

October 18, 2010 at 10:56 am

I thought it was amusing that everyone was in such a panic because the Phillies lost a game. People get spoiled running through the NL East in September and then the Reds.

The Giants and Phillies match up well. I expect a long close series. There is nothing inevitable about the Phillies winning – just funner.

In the end if H2O pitch six games I see us winning four of them (1-1 so far). But nothing is for sure.

On the bunting – Charlie is not against it – we had a great bunter in Moyer who bunted virtually all the time. Halladay simply cannot bunt. You go with what you have, no reason to try bunting if the pitcher can’t do it.

31. bfo_33

October 18, 2010 at 10:56 am

I just wanted to announce that for next season the Phils are my preferred home, and I will take a discount over the Yanks, Rangers,…..

32. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 11:13 am

Cody Ross needs to be put on his a$$.

33. Wis

October 18, 2010 at 11:15 am

Cole:Tomorrow just walk Ross, Its the Barry Bonds san fran curse or something. That troll is a demon. no other way to explain it. CODDY FRIGGIN ROSSS!!!????

I have to admit though, its what makes October so great, we are all on pins and needles. Very exciting stuff. hope we see “this team” for the rest of the series. I never smiled as big as I did when ROy got Burrell with that 77mph pitch to strike his ass out. Poetic Justice – served.

34. Brooks

October 18, 2010 at 11:19 am

About the nerves issue: I fully expected (and kinda want) this series to go 6 or 7 games like I said in an earlier post. Mostly because of what did happen, an offensive dud like game 1 was. Sure, Phils scored some runs and proved that the ‘Freak’ is hittable but there was nothing sustainable, men left on base and yada yada – it was an offensive dud. I guess what got me on edge was that I was expecting Doc to be a convincing winner. Not so much the offense because of who we faced but I really thought he would be “Lights Out” or more I was hoping.

One more loss to an offensive clunker, one game lost by the BP (which could coincide with an O let down) – and we’re looking at a game 7 with Hamels nailing it. I just really, really hope that it isn’t the panty-hosed Ross that does it to us again. We have yet to see Aubrey Huff get real.

35. Terry

October 18, 2010 at 11:21 am

I was sitting in Section 430 last night, so I didn’t get to see it up close, but I noticed in the highlights this morning that the guy in the front row probably could have reached down to grab the shot that J-Roll hit. Not that I’m endorsing that, but that guy deserves some credit for making the right move and backing off. I know the extra run ended up not mattering, but imagine if that guy interfered with the ball, only 2 runs scored, and it ended up costing us. Luckily it didn’t matter, just something I noticed on SportsRise. Good for that guy for not being a knucklehead.

36. Bart Shart

October 18, 2010 at 11:51 am

Rollins and Victorino could both add 20 points to their batting averages if they could and would bunt during the season at appropriate times. our pitchers have forgotten how to bunt and one of these days it will really bite us in the ass. Greg Maddox helped himself many times by being an excellent bunter. He is a HOF pitcher. Our pitchers should take note.

37. Kate

October 18, 2010 at 11:52 am

Halladay should never ever try to bunt again. My heart still hasn’t recovered from that ball he took to the helmet.

I don’t want to see Raul go anywhere. He put this team on his back and CARRIED them for three weeks during the summer.

38. The Dipsy

October 18, 2010 at 11:53 am

When you take into account that each major league player plays little league ball, Babe Ruth, high school, minor leagues and/or college ball, you would think that somewhere along the line they would learn to bunt. It should be mandated that fast players perfect the art of bunting. It should mandated that all pitchers be good at bunting. And ALL players should at least know HOW to bunt. Bunting is not easy to learn how to do well. BUT! I bet that if I were given an hour a day for five years to perfect the art of bunting at the major league level, I could do it. I guarantee it. All it takes is the will and some spare time.

Thats said, am I ragging on Shane and Jimmy for not being bunters? Yeah, somewhat. I just don’t get it I guess. If I was as fast as they are, I would welcome another means to add to my arsenal to get on base. Its inefficient to not utilize the drag bunt.

The Dipsy

39. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 12:14 pm

A perfectly executed bunt is one of the most beautiful plays in baseball.

To put it in Dispy terms…if a 3 run home run is the equivalent of a knockout of a woman….then a well-executed bunt is like the fresh-faced girl next door. It can breathe new life into an otherwise stagnant and boring offense.

40. The Original Chuck P

October 18, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Oswalt is a ham… what a great addition.

I think that Charlie’s lineup change was just what the Dr ordered… might have seemed like he was hitting the panic button to some but it was a move that had to be made. We’re not hitting HR’s right now so we have to be willing to make moves that will help us generate runs… moving Utley into the 2 hole was very important. He steals 2 bases that Polly would not have stolen. Utley, the base runner, is handcuffed in the 3 spot because you don’t want to take the bat out of the big man’s hands. Splitting up the lefties (forcing them to eat relievers later in the game), getting more speed at the top and sticking with Rollins (married to him, for better or worse, because he can win games single handedly… confidence is key)… yeah, that was a great move. It will be interesting to see what Charlie does in game 3… does he go back to the Utley, Howard, Werth lineup or does he go with this again or does he try something else?

My sweep prediction didn’t hold up but the Giants didn’t win game one… we lost it. Still trying to figure out why Roy wasn’t pitching around Ross. Why challenge him inside especially when he’s hitting 8th? Ibanez needs to make that catch and if he does, it’s a different ballgame. Looking in the rear view is pointless but I still think that we win this series easily… my opinion of the Giants has not changed – it might actually be worse. They have NO hitting. We scored 3 runs against Lincecum and chased Sanchez early… their pitching is good but our lineup can put enough runs on the board to beat these guys.

41. Bacardipr05

October 18, 2010 at 12:21 pm

i agree with Bart maybe not 20 but ten to 15 points….i especially think Shane can do this…

42. The Dipsy

October 18, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Yes Chuck, thank you. A nubile young woman, pure as the driven snow, in a little yellow dress with an Easter bonnet on. I like to watch them skip rope. From across the street. In a car. Ducked down real low in my seat.

The Dipsy

43. jeff

October 18, 2010 at 12:32 pm

be very interesting if cliff lee came back. why wouldnt he with this staff. doc, lee, oswalt and hamels. all four through 2012. oswalt will pick up his final year. amazing. who would beat us?

44. Wis

October 18, 2010 at 12:33 pm

lol – dipsy

45. Ryan H.

October 18, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I honestly was never nervous. I wouldn’t be nervous if this team lost the next two games. I have that much supreme confidence in them.

October 18, 2010 at 1:11 pm

OCP- You are right ,the lineup change was brilliant.

jeff- Despite what he’s done in the first 5 playoff games this year, Ryan Howard is still the team’s all time leader in postseason RBI with 27. He also leads the team in batting avg. at the moment. (he said while talking to a three foot thick retaining wall)

The Dipsy- you’re a very sick man, seek help.

October 18, 2010 at 1:15 pm

IMO- Shane Victorino is the best centerfielder in baseball right now bar none. It may not always look pretty, he may not always read it correctly, but he gets to balls only the great Garry Maddox could have. And his arm is way underrated. He saved the game several times last night.

48. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 1:18 pm

See…I try to match wits with Dipsy…and I can’t. All I did was just egg him on. Classic.

49. JeffK

October 18, 2010 at 1:26 pm

My favorite line from Joe Buck last night – 9th inning, two men on for the Giants – “two on for the Giants, they just need two more baserunners to bring the game-tying run to the plate.” Flubbing the intricacies of the infield fly rule is one thing, but adding a fourth base is really just a Joe Buck moment.

Oh, and seriously, that little skip/hop that Cody Ross does? He should get one in the earhole early in Game 3.

50. jeff

October 18, 2010 at 1:39 pm

ryan howard should be the all time rbi guy. the man is making 125 million plus is our clean up guy. i ask you this question and answer it honestly. are confident with him at the plate in a big spot with men in scoring postion??? remember a lefty might be on the mound.

51. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Jonathon Sanchez is a lefty, right?

Howard went 2 for 2 (2 for 3?) with a walk against him.

jeff, I’m confident….every day and Sunday.

52. Eamonn

October 18, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I’m going to agree with Jeff here. Even after the two hits Howard had last night, I was not very confident when he came up with men on. Obviously this has not always been the case but starting in the 09 World series and continuing through yesterday, the thought of the big guy up with guys on base in the postseason does not inspire much confidence in me. I would love nothing more than for that to change starting tomorrow.

53. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 1:48 pm

My new website link ^^^ concerning the aforementioned Mr. Ross.

54. The Dipsy

October 18, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Jeff – Yes. Remember “Just get me to the plate, boys”? He can work a count when he really needs to. And if its a REALLY big at bat, the pitcher is probably throwing fastballs.

The Dipsy

55. jeff

October 18, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Work a count. I have never seen a ballplayer swing at such bad pitches. when guys are on he gets very excited. you can tell. he tries to hard. he swings at bad pitches. you never saw bonds swing at pitch off the plate. ryan’s power numbers keep going down. he was a single hitter for most of the season. i understand his average was up but i rather his homers be in the 40’s. i have no trust with guys on and he is at the plate.

56. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 1:59 pm

jeff, he WOULD have had 40+ HRs if he didn’t get hurt. 3 weeks on the DL and then another week or more to get his timing back.

No injury and Howard’s numbers would have been something like .280/40+/120-130

That’s not good enough for some people, I guess…

57. Bruce

October 18, 2010 at 2:04 pm

@Jeff: Are you serious? How old are you? It’s not enough for you to see Howard go the other way with lefty Sanchez for two hits including a double last night. Howard had the right approach in hitting and the great run producer can’t always deliver on cue. That’s baseball where getting a hit on 30% of your at bats makes you a good hitter.

By the way, If you’re going to complain about a player not producing with RISP, criticize Werth who continues to have his woes in that category. He maintains his position as the worst hitter in the majors this season with RISP by going 0 for 2 stranding 4 runners last night. I like to see Francisco who is collecting dust on the bench be given an opportunity to play in RF and have Werth take his seat in the next game.

58. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 2:05 pm

couldn’t get this to stick on the website link…pretty funny….and fitting for the current set of circumstances:

59. RichieAllen

October 18, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Maybe somebody said it above….and I’m sorry if its a repeat, but…
    Why the hell are we even pitching to Cody Ross?If the guy is that hot,give him a pass.Its better than a dinger.
    DUH.

60. The Dipsy

October 18, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Cody Ross had the good fortune of getting not one, not two, but THREE balls right….down….Broad Street. Chuck could have hit those balls out. Now, god bless him for putting wood to leather but he didn’t necessarily have to be Mickey Mantle is all I’m saying. Eff Cody Ross and the horse he rode in on. He bats 8th in a bad lineup. He’s used up his post season home run quota for the next 100 years.

The Dipsy

61. RichieAllen

October 18, 2010 at 2:14 pm

And …Ryan Howard is one of the best power hitters ever….Everytime he slightly slumps ,the worry and doubt comes out.Its just natural.
    Dont worry,he can carry us,its just baseball ,this happens ,its a cycle.

62. Bruce

October 18, 2010 at 2:26 pm

@Dipsy: You hope!! Halladay and Oswalt surely have told Hamels DON’T throw a pitch MIDDLE IN (chuckles). Can’t understand why Oswalt threw that very pitch in the same location last night that Ross feasted on. A Phillies killer indeed with 16 career HRs against them.

63. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 2:32 pm

That’s right. Not only could I have hit those balls out…but they would have clanked off the awning at Harry The K’s restaurant.

Watch again…or if you already haven’t…

64. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Cole has become a man this season. I’ve really been impressed.

Seal the deal for all of us, Cole, and put Ross on his keaster. Enough of this sh*t.

65. The Dipsy

October 18, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Seriously, Ross needs a little chin music to loosen him up a little bit. AND in front of his own home crowd.

The Dipsy

October 18, 2010 at 3:00 pm

There is nothing to understand about why RoyO threw that pitch to Ross. Watch it again, he just plain missed his spot. Chooch had his glove low and face down, clearly set for a breaking ball in the dirt. He threw a great game, but on several pitches he made mistakes and that was one of them. In every game pitchers miss spots, they just get away with most of them. That’s why I said Victorino should get a ton of credit for last night.

October 18, 2010 at 3:05 pm

jeff- My answer to your question is “more than confident”. I think you just can’t get your head wrapped around the contract. You mention it in every single post. So I will ask this question.

Pretend that none of us got to know any of the players salaries, that they were all the same to us, and probably somewhat near what an average american makes, would you then answer the same question no?

68. The Original Chuck P

October 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm

“And, yeah….EFF Cody Ross, his horse and his stupid-a$$ hop, skip and a jump bullsh*t.”

HAHAHAHA… good stuff, Chuck.

I think that we butchered the scouting report on Ross… it should have read, “Had outstanding NLDS, likes the ball inside, typically bats 8th in front of the pitcher so stay away, be careful and don’t let him beat you.”

And Ryan Howard… did someone really say that they don’t feel comfortable with him at the plate with men in RISP? Really… did I miss something or is he still the guy who has more RBI’s than anyone else in baseball over the past four years? I don’t get it… he’s a HR hitter- you take the good with the bad because there will be games and stretches where he will carry you but beyond that the guy is a run producing machine and perennial all star. It sickens me to hear that people were a.) booing him at the Eagles game and b.) upset that he was at the Eagles game yesterday. Give me a break… we’re in the NLDS, again, and he’s probably one of the biggest reasons why we are where we are. One loss and people boo… it’s sickening. Wake up, people. Give him the respect he deserves.

October 18, 2010 at 3:14 pm

We’re not going to pitch around Cody Ross. It’s not playing the percentages, he’s a scrub that got hot at the right time, he’ll be done soon.

Francisco should not replace Werth, not a smart move. Jayson will come through just like Jimmy did last night in a big spot.

Chuck- your stat line projections for Howard are spot on. I would add that it’s possible they would be better because he was so hot when he got hurt.

70. The Original Chuck P

October 18, 2010 at 3:26 pm

As for salary… all anyone said prior to his contract is that there was no way he was coming back and he would leave the first chance he got and blah blah blah… well, he did come back and he could have went elsewhere and made the same money (or more) with better endorsement opportunities but he didn’t. Why? Because he wants to stay here and win with this group.

He has worked on his game every year, he has improved his defense substantially, his average is up this season… I just don’t get it. He’s likeable and he’s outgoing, he’s charitable and he’s not out there getting into trouble like he could be. I seriously don’t understand the disdain.

71. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 18, 2010 at 3:43 pm

OCP-I COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MY SELF!

72. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 3:44 pm

That’s right, Lefty. I forgot that he was in a groove when he got hurt. Add 5 HRs and 10 RBIs.

Got that, jeff??

73. jeff

October 18, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Sorry guys. Take the money away and I have no confident in him that he will get the job done with runners on. Please dont say the best power hitter. Yes he is playing in a ballpark that helps. He could not hold, Bonds, Griffey, Big Ted, Ruth, etc. He is not in there catagory. Howard is not BIG ALBERT. Put Albert on our team and then we will see production. My buddy is a Mets fan and he loves howard to k. He says the most overrated player of our generation. I would take Joey V over him anyday of the week. There is a reason the guys on MLB.com took Huff over him. Atleast werth has a homer in this series. Howard has no biggie doubles..stick him in the 8th hole. I have more faith in chooch.

74. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 18, 2010 at 4:20 pm

FOR MY BUDDY MIKE-vs Cain

Utley: 7-15, 3 HR
    Jimmy: 6-10, 1 HR, 3 3B

Lets keep that going. Everyone else pretty normal.

Howard: 2-10, 2 HR
    Vic: 2-8
    Ruiz: 2-4
    Werth: 1-3
    Polly: 0-3
    Ibanez: 0-2

75. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 4:21 pm

And exactly what has Aubrey Huff done in this series so far?

76. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 18, 2010 at 4:22 pm

JEFF-ALL I CAN SAY TO YOU IS ,HOWARDS NUMBERS DON’T LIE…………

77. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 18, 2010 at 4:23 pm

CHUCK-A BIG NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

78. The Original Chuck P

October 18, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Joey V is playing golf somewhere… Joey V hit .100 in the NLDS en route to a sweep by Howard and the Phils.

You would take Joey V this year because he had a career year… you would have probably taken Prince Fielder last year, too. I guess that’s what you do when you don’t like a player… you take the other guy. Me, I see that Howard has won an MVP and I recognize that he’s carried us into the playoffs on more than one occasion and I think, “Ya know, I’m really happy that he’s MY guy.”

79. The Original Chuck P

October 18, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Aubrey Huff is a poor man’s Raul Ibanez… give me a break. The fact that you would even imply that Aubrey Huff is better than Ryan Howard shows your true colors.

80. The Original Chuck P

October 18, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Aubrey Friggin Huff… are you serious?

81. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 4:34 pm

jeff, do you see a trend here? Are you some kind of masochist? Or just stupid?

It’s you vs. the rest of this blog.

82. The Original Chuck P

October 18, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Off nights suck… can’t wait ’til tomorrow night.

83. biz

October 18, 2010 at 4:49 pm

If Ross is batting 6th again, he gets an IBB every AB. The Giants 7,8,9 hitters are not going to jack a bomb and make you pay. Those guys slug around .350. Put him on and deal with the easy outs.

84. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Who’s really all that excited about Lee vs. Pettitte? It’s baseball and I’ll watch it…but…

October 18, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I want the Yankees to win because I want to take them down *if* we make it to the WS… Of course, it could all backfire and they could win it again against us or the Giants… but I’m willing to take that risk. It’s payback time, b*tches.

October 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Chuck: I’m hoping they BOTH get shelled! That way, there’s nothing to fear about facing either team in a potential WS matchup.

October 18, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Well, not really shelled (because that would mean that the offenses are lighting the world on fire)… but if each gives a 4-6 runs, that would be nice.

88. biz

October 18, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Chuck,

I’m excited. Lee is an assassin in the post season, and I hat e the Yankees, Unfortunately, I think the Yankees are a much easier prospect than the Rangers.

89. Phan in the outfield

October 18, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I’ve been hoping they beat the crap out of each other. It’s about the best we can hope for. I also think the Rangers would be the more difficult of the two teams. The Yankees haven’t quite been themselves for a few months. Maybe the latest unattractive blonde “actress” (I use the word loosely) A-Roid’s seeing is to blame.

Cain hasn’t beaten the Phillies, right? I’m kind of not thrilled about the games in AT&T park though. The OF is tough, RF is a pinball machine.

Did people boo at the 1st game? Guess I didn’t hear b/c I mute FOX so often. Those [nameless] bung-headed jerks make me crazy. I seriously want to hurt [the one] who briefly wore a Phillies uniform.

90. Andrew from waldorf

October 18, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Jeff I support your theory. In the future i will post about why Howard is 20% over paid.
    But
    To say the park helps him when he has more career road homers than home debunks yourself.
    He really needs to step up with runners on like Jimmy did last night.

Just curious who is A Roid dating? I have no idea.

91. MikeB.

October 18, 2010 at 5:55 pm

As everyone knows, the Phils have not played well in San Francisco over the years but with the stakes much higher than regular season games, I feel that this upcoming championship series is going to be a different story. Phillies more than like will not win all three games but I see them playing well enough to take two out of three. Will get a break from that generally cool, damp and sometimes foggy weather out there at night by playing in the daytime the first game.

92. Andrew from waldorf

October 18, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Aubrey Huff is the poor mans Ross Gload.

93. Andrew from waldorf

October 18, 2010 at 5:57 pm

LOL
    you dont pitch around Cody Ruth
    Law of averages says he doesnt even make contact again this series.

94. Andrew from waldorf

October 18, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Howard apologists just learn to live with the fact that hes going to K alot and he looks terrible doing it.

Id not take any 1b over him at this point.

95. MikeB.

October 18, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Jeter dated Anna Kournakova at one time among many other famous women.

96. Andrew from waldorf

October 18, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Shane is the most under rated player

97. Chuck

October 18, 2010 at 6:17 pm

I would also prefer to beat the Yankees. Revenge on last year…and…I really think they are weaker than the Rangers. Or maybe a better way to put it is that the Phillies match up better with the Yanks.

Actually, of all the 8 original postseason teams (other than the Phils, of course)…the Rangers “scare” me the most.

———

Again…..Cody Ross needs to be nailed. Hard.

98. Brooks

October 18, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Last night Roy buzzed the man who wears tights under the chin. He got a rise out of the crowd.

October 18, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I saw that Brooks, but what you may not have been able to see was the next pitch. The dude’s eyes were so wide open it made Mike Singletary look wimpy.

There is an unwritten code about what pitchers should do to batters taking away to much of their plate, so I won’t write it-but I’m thinking it.

100. psujoe

October 18, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Call me crazy, but I’d deal Ibanez and Blantan in a second if it meant being able to sign Lee. Probably find a nice RH Bat in the OF and some prospects. FA pitching is pretty thin this year I believe.

October 18, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Andrew- On Cody Ross- exactly right,
    He got a lucky rare mistake from RoyO last night, and seemingly the luck of a bad scouting report in game one. Pitch him right from now on, and he’s dragging the lumber back to the dugout every time.

October 18, 2010 at 8:07 pm

psujoe- I’d rather trade those two for a couple of stud bullpen guys and sign Werth

103. krukdriver

October 18, 2010 at 8:08 pm

I don’t think too many people on this site were LOL when C. Ross hit his homer last night. Of course, if he had been thrown nothing but junk on the outside of the plate, he would have – OMG! – walked. Would you rather he homered? (Like he did.)
    He’s a bum – a nobody. Tinkerbell bonked him with the magic wand and he’s Willie Mays for a fortnight. So all I’m saying is be bloody careful with him.

And… if Ross gets nailed, which one of our guys do you think is gonna get it? Utley? Werth? Chooch? Pick one. (And hope he doesn’t break a rib.)

And… suggesting that Valdez plays for Rollins does not make me, (or anyone else), a J-Roll hater. LOL.

October 18, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Manny I agree with your post at 4:55. I still get people that tell me “yeah you guys beat the Rays, but not the Yankees”, and I’m tired of it.

105. Brooks

October 18, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Just watched and listened to the play where Oswalt scored on Poly’s hit to short center field. Miller said he thought maybe Huff saw Perlazzo’s stop sign and that is why he cut the throw off. Crap – Perlazzo was behind Huff, no way Huff saw the sign.

106. psujoe

October 18, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Lefty I see your point, but if you have Halladay, Lee, Oswalt and Hamels do you really need a bull pen? LOL. I do think the Phils will look to move Raul in an attempt to retain Werth or another suitable RH bat.

107. Adam

October 18, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Hamilton just homered for the Rangers. I know we can’t mention you know whose name on this blog but I can’t wait to watch him pitch in Yankees stadium and shut down the Yanks. As a baseball fan it is very fun to watch you know who pitch against a great lineup.

October 18, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Cliff Lee- I can say it. He will always be one of my favorites.

109. Brooks

October 18, 2010 at 8:21 pm

As sexy as Lee vs Halladay sounds, beating the Yanks has that appeal to it, you have definitely beaten the best

October 18, 2010 at 8:26 pm

krukdriver- I love the moniker!

Yes someone has to pay the price, it’s just the way it goes. Chase was second in HBB this year even with all the time he missed, he can take it.

111. Andrew from waldorf

October 18, 2010 at 8:33 pm

The Yankees remind me of the Phillies last year.
    It was a miracle the phils made the series last year with 1 pitcher.

and Sabathia isnt even that good.

October 18, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Touch the front of the cap, touch the back of the cap, set the fingers, blow em away. Buckle ARod’s knees strike three, break Cano’s bat, get Thames swinging strike three.

I still have a mancrush for Lee, it’s embarrassing.

113. jeff of Nova

October 18, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Jeff….. why do you keep bringing up Howard’s contract are you paying it? If not then shut the F up and enjoy this teams ride

114. Kate

October 18, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Cliff Lee carried us through to Game 6 last year. That’ll never be forgotten.

But let’s not forget the guys who were there from the beginning in 2008 and 2009, the guys who ground through this year and battled back from third place and two games over .500 right back to where they knew they would wind up. Raul Ibanez’s name is near the top of that list.

Hell, even with those thirty or so games Blanton and Kendrick pitched that wound up in no decision wins or straight out wins. Take those away and our guys are sitting home suffering through the TBS and FOX announcers along with us.

The Brad Lidge of 2010 still doesn’t touch the Brad Lidge of 2008, yet take away his August and September saves and we’re still out of the playoffs.

Management would be crazy to deal away any of those guys (except maybe Kendrick) after a season where every single position and utility player stepped up in some way when they were needed.

They may not be able to keep Werth, a huge piece of our offense/defense. That’s not the time to be dealing more pieces for one more starting pitcher when we’ve already got three aces, even if that pitcher’s name is Cliff Lee.

When will Raul Ibanez get the respect he deserves, instead of being on every drooling fan’s list to be dealt away for someone else? We should bellow at the top of our lungs to keep this guy after the way he stepped up for us in July and August.

October 18, 2010 at 8:54 pm

JeffNoVa- I think he’s jealous. Howard is a bit overpaid maybe, but I could care less. They’re all overpaid, at some point what difference does it make, to me, none.

116. Andrew from waldorf

October 18, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Do I have to get into the over paying thing? LOL
    It does matter and hes 20% over paid.

But
    I want no one else at 1B

you guys always make me stick up for Jeff

Only thing about keeping lee was we would have little Roy.
    I really like how it all went down.

October 18, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Kate- I’m a big fan of Raul, all I meant was if I had to sacrifice him and Joe B to keep Werth I’d do it, not for Lee. I’d rather keep them all.
    P.S. Don’t forget the incredible contribution of old man Jamie!

118. Andrew from waldorf

October 18, 2010 at 8:59 pm

I guess it does get tiring that jeff always brings it up.
    We all get it Jeff

and during the off season we can spend a whole week discussing it.
    and RHs second WS ring

October 18, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Poor jeff needs counsel Andrew. It’s a dirty job but someone has to do it.

120. Andrew from waldorf

October 18, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Its gonna be the rangers from the AL it has to be
    I just cant see the yankees but they are like Jason and wont die so who knows.

October 18, 2010 at 9:05 pm

LOL – Jason,

or Bruce Willis

October 18, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Or Austin Powers Die! Die! Why won’t you die? LOL

123. psujoe

October 18, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Raul has had a great second half and in many ways did help carry the Phils. That’s exactly why I’d sell. Sell high. I wouldn’t just give him away though. It is much more imperative to try to retain your #5 hitter that can run, field, throw and hit than your #7 hitter that can hit. IMO of course. No way I’d trade Lidge for what you could get in return.

That’s all noise at this point because we’ve got 3 in a row in San Fran and we need 2 of the 3.

124. Andrew from waldorf

October 18, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Id like the phils to take runs at Soariano from TB or some of the twins relievers if any of them are FA
    Honestly we couldnt even use Lee now. what we gonna pitch Hamels in game 4s of playoff series?
    the big 3 is enough SP

We are going to have to get younger at some point.

125. Kate

October 18, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Yeah, Jamie got nine or ten wins for us this year, and a complete game shutout! Whoever gets him as a pitching coach is a very lucky organization. Hopefully it’s us.

All right, I’ll concede that if we can get Werth locked up for a long time without paying him TOO much, I’d sadly see Raul go and know it’s for the best. But I don’t think it’s going to happen. Werth’s price tag is going to be far too much.

Man, Cliff Lee is dealing right now. Pettitte doesn’t look all that sharp.

126. Kate

October 18, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Oh, come on, Raul helped carry the team?

Remember the fourteen-game hitting streak when nearly everyone else looked completely lost? He CARRIED them nearly all by his lonesome for three weeks.

October 18, 2010 at 9:44 pm

phew, I was beginning to think the impossible, that Lee would match Doc. Glad that’s over.

October 18, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Yes young arms for the pen, I’m not going to pretend to know about all the prospects out there, but that’s where RAJ should be looking. I don’t think Matt Capps is the answer though. Young bucks with potential.

October 18, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Andrew, Do you ever read Norman Chad’s couch slouch-very funny today.

130. Brooks

October 18, 2010 at 10:12 pm

I’m not at all comfortable with the Rangers only having a 2 run lead over the Yanks.
    No, the Yanks this year do not remind me of the Phils in 09. The only similarity is that there was 1 starting pitcher.
    Phils offense in 09 was big, much bigger than the 10 Yanks.
    This year the for the Yanks:
    Jeter had his worst year as a professional.
    Arod had his worst career batting average, worst OBP, worst slugging %, (still drove in 125, the 13th consecutive season of 100 rbi or more).
    Texiera also had his worst year – for average, slugging %, OBP, OPS – still had over 100 rbi.
    Other than Cano, timely hitting and Nick Swisher with a career year. The Yanks find ways to score that is why a 2 run lead going into the top of the 7th is shaky at best.

131. Brooks

October 18, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Andrew has the right idea – we have to find and arm at the end of our BP – I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, all those cortisone shots are just masking the bigger problem, Lidge is not going to be able to hang on much longer. I love him for what he’s done for the Phils this year so far (including the nerve racking games!) but reality is its time to find someone in his stead.

October 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Damn, they’re both dealing…

October 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm

SO, SO GLAD that the Cliff Lee trade to NYY fell through at the last minute… they’d be favorites to win it all with him on board… and Texas wouldn’t even be playing right now…

134. Brooks

October 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Manny, I hope they leave Lee in. He is at 115 pitches but has 12 k’s what a game.

135. Andrew from waldorf

October 18, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Never read the column. He is pretty funny on WSOP
    but i am getting a little tired of that now too lol

136. Brooks

October 18, 2010 at 10:50 pm

122 pitch count. Tell you what, it would be great to see Vlad’s bat come alive.

137. king

October 18, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Please fix the comment section on the mobile side!

138. Brooks

October 18, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Nice middle relief there Spanks!

139. Philly Texan

October 18, 2010 at 11:21 pm

8-0 Rangers!

Wow, without that miracle comeback in game 1, the Yanks would be looking at 0-3 right now.

Tomorrow night is a must win for them. And they’re sending AJ Burnet to the mound? Good luck with that.

October 18, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Very impressive. Rangers are a serious contender. Great road team.

141. Andrew from waldorf

October 18, 2010 at 11:28 pm

yankees are going nowhere fast

the Phils almost beat them last year with 1 pitcher and a bad lidge

142. SAM

October 18, 2010 at 11:32 pm

What a great game Cliff Lee pitched against the Yankees. I only wish he was in our rotation besides Blanton. We would be unstoppable!!! Oh well, hope Hamels is at his best tomorrow.

October 18, 2010 at 11:32 pm

144. Philly Texan

October 18, 2010 at 11:37 pm

I’ve been impressed with the Rangers for two years now. Ron Washington and Daniels and Nolan have really turned the organization around.

A lineup full of sluggers, two tough lefties at the top of the rotation with Lee and Wilson and a fire-balling closer.

Colby Lewis and CJ Wilson have been huge for this team.

It’s easy to forget they were counting on two pitchers — Scott Feldman and Rich Hardin—who did nothing this year. And now they’re two wins from the Series.

They would make a tough opponent for the Phils.

145. Andrew from waldorf

October 18, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Charlie is a great manager. Closing in on hall of fame level.
    Nice article.

You cant not see that almost all the stuff he does works.

Rangers are alot tougher than the Yanks. But the phils should beat them if the phils get there.

146. Brooks

October 18, 2010 at 11:57 pm

All this without one of the premier hitters doing anything really – Vlad is mush so far. The Rangers would make a fun opponent but I would still predict a series victory for the Phils. Now that Lee pitched this game, if the Rangers made the WS (and the good guys too of course), what are the possibilities of a Lee vs Halladay matchup in game 1?
    Nice storyline

147. Philly Texan

October 19, 2010 at 1:19 am

Can you imagine if Cliff Lee shows up at CBP to pitch Game 1 of the World Series?

God forbid the Phils lose that game, we’d never hear the end of it.

Ah well, let’s not get ahead of ourselves…..Big game tomorrow.

148. biz

October 19, 2010 at 1:27 am

Cliff Lee vs Halladay?

These are the 2 best pitchers in baseball.

149. jt

October 19, 2010 at 2:17 am

look like the giants are gonna be making major changes…another old pal aaron rowand will likely be starting tomorrow and sandoval will be starting too…how are we even in competion with this team?they don’t know what their indentiy is their benching this guy and that guy…the phils need to win 2 out there and bring it home and finish it off…not trying to be cocky but the phils are much better then the giants we showed it in game 2 if the phillies from that game can show up we can win this the giants are a low scoring team who heavly rely on their pitching to not give up many runs…cole worries me because he said in the past he doesn’t like pitching in day games and tomorrow is a day game hopefully cole pulls it together and we can get the win…another old pal cliff lee looks dominate as always he really is something but i’m still happy with doc him and lee are the best by far……..