2010 Game Recaps

Phils End Season with Loss, Will Play Reds in NLDS

As of now, the Phillies still do not know which team they’ll face in the NLDS starting Wednesday. This, after Atlanta took the finale, 8-7, to keep their season alive.

In what was a wild game that saw the Phillies use Cole Hamels, Roy Oswalt, and Joe Blanton, the Phillies were unable to finish off a comeback from an 8-2 deficit. In the end, the Braves turned it on with their backs against the wall and pounded the likes of Danys Baez, J.C. Romero and Blanton, while the Phillies seemingly used their entire 40-man roster. Atlanta absolutely needed to win, especially with this being Bobby Cox final regular season game as manager.

The Phillies were given a couple of injury scares in a meaningless game. Carlos Ruiz was hit by a pitch on the elbow and was taken out of the game. X-rays were negative, and according to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com, Ruiz thinks he should be OK to go for Wednesday – so breathe a sigh of relief. Also, J.C. Romero left with a tight lower back, he too should be fine for the start of the NLDS.

So, about Wednesday. We’ll soon know what happens with the Padres and Giants game and once that game is through, the Phillies will know if they’ll have an opponent or if they’ll have to wait until tuesday.

As far as the postseason roster is concerned, the Phillies don’t have to make any decision until Wednesday at 10 a.m.

We’ll update this post when the Giants/Padres game is over.

UPDATE, 8:15 pm: The Phillies will play the Cincinnati Reds in the NLDS after the Giants dispatched the Padres, 3-0, to win the NL West.

Game 1 will begin at 5:07 p.m. on Wednesday. Game 2 on Friday starts at 6:07 p.m. More coming here on PhilliesNation.com!

1. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 7:31 pm

EAGLES SUCK,THANK GOD FOR PHILS-Giants win. The Phillies will play the Reds in the NLDS. It’s Halladay vs. Volquez in Game 1 on Wednesday at Citizens Bank Park.

2. Brian

October 3, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I’m assuming because the Yankees are playing Wednesday, we will get the early game, by default.

I was following the Pads/Giants then realized if the Phills play the way they are capable, it wont matter how the cards fell. Bring on the Reds and their 4.03 team ERA.

3. jeff of Nova

October 3, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Yeah the Eagles have officially taken my interest away from football. So many let downs over the years too many highs and lows. They looked like they were building a winning tradition but now they trade away the face of the franchise… have an undersized defense and dismal offensive line.

I think I am just not interested in wasting my Sunday afternoons anymore. I think I am just focusing on the Phillies!!

Halladay vs Volquez should be an interesting match up.

The Phillies have notoriously had trouble with pitchers they have not seen that often

4. Ryan

October 3, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Giants will win the WS this year. I’m calling it!

5. Brooks

October 3, 2010 at 8:18 pm

So totally wrong Ryan! Sooooo wrong!

6. Ryan

October 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm

We will see about that Brooks…neither the Yankees nor the Phillies match up against the los Gigiantes.

7. Ryan

October 3, 2010 at 8:22 pm

los Gigantes* how dare I spell that wrong!

8. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Are you serious ryan?

9. Ryan

October 3, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Hell yeah brah. Go ahead. Call me insane. Well I don’t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it baby.

10. Brooks

October 3, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Giants have to get past the Braves then face the Phils – the Giants may be the only team to take the Phils to a long series (6 or 7 games) but there is no way they take the series.

Any prognostications for the AL?
    Yanks at Twins –
    The Twins are 2-8 in their last 10 games – the Yanks have lost their last 4 series and are 4-8 in that span.
    I just think the Yanks are too tough but both teams are playing badly. I’m pretty sure we all agree who is going to be in the ALCS, it will be the Yanks at Tampa all over again.
    Tex at Tampa –
    As much as I have liked what Texas has done, the Rays are just too strong all the way through. Hamilton, Vlad, Lee – cannot carry the Rangers past the Rays in a series, no way.

I think the Yanks will face the Rays in a 7 game knockout series and I think the Rays will take it in 7. Although I would much rather pound the Yanks than the Rays – Tampa I think will be the elite (young too) to come out of the AL.

11. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 8:29 pm

HEY ITS A FREE COUNTRY,I JUST DISAGREE…………….

12. Ryan

October 3, 2010 at 8:30 pm

in a 7 game series against the Phillies…Giants will have 4 of those games with either Lincecum or Jonathan Sanchez on the mound. Those are all garunteed losses for the Phillies. Make a note of that. Remember that I made this prediction.

13. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 8:32 pm

OK RYAN,WE WILL SEE-I WILL REMEMBER!!!

14. Ryan

October 3, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I also say that they sweep the Braves. lmao.

15. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 8:33 pm

NO WAY LINCECUM IS A AUTOMATIC WIN,SORRY………..HOW MUCH POSTSEASON EXP. DO THOSE TWO HAVE?????

16. biz

October 3, 2010 at 8:34 pm

In a 7 game series the Phillies will throw out H2O 6 times and have a FAR better lineup. The best offensive players on the Giants have been recycled off the scrap heap. Oh, and a rookie. Doc and Roy2 have something for that Azzz. Believe it.

17. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 8:36 pm

RYAN YOU MAY BE RIGHT ABOUT THE SWEEPING BRAVES PART…LOL

18. Chuck

October 3, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Ryan makes a good point.

The Giants ARE FOR REAL.

Dudes….time to get your heads out of the sand.

The Phillies CAN beat the Giants…and have an excellent shot at doing so….but i wouldn’t be shocked at all if they didn’t.

19. Ryan

October 3, 2010 at 8:36 pm

I feel like Nostradamus right now… Except I’m actually going to be right…

20. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 8:38 pm

HEADS OUT OF THE SAND??WHY BECAUSE WE BELIEVE THAT THE PHILLIES ARE BETTER?

21. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 8:39 pm

HEY JEFF….

22. Ryan

October 3, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I’m going to bet with my roommates…stupid Yankee fans that they are >.<

23. Chuck

October 3, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I didn’t say that I didn’t think the Phillies are better.

What I said was that the Giants are for real and that I wouldn’t be shocked at all if they beat the Phillies in the NLCS.

24. Chuck

October 3, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Baseball history is littered with “better” teams losing in the postseason.

25. Desibrave

October 3, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I have absolutely no doubt that Phillies are the best team this year in baseball.

Oswalt and Doc signed up with Phillies for cheaper deals only to get their WCS rings and they will do their best to achieve that.
    At this point i don’t see any weaklinks in Phillies team. They should have a cake walk rest of the way.

Neither Reds nor giants/braves will pose any threat.

Bobby Cox has screwed up the braves bullpen overusing them.. Poor guys half of them will be getting their Tommy John’s next year.

I used to say Braves have a A class pitching and A+Bullpen.. That is not true anymore.. Hudson is hittable, and Bullpen have deadarms .

Fielding is at its worst. Only positive I see is Derek Lee and Jason Heyward, rest are all struggling.

Good Luck Phillies.

26. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 8:53 pm

TY DESIBRAVE!!

27. Land Shark

October 3, 2010 at 8:54 pm

How the hell will the Phils and Giants play a 7 game series? Only 7 game series in baseball is the World series….So from someone who doesn’t know that much about baseball, isn’t intelligent enough to pick a world series winner, sorry brah

28. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 8:54 pm

GL VS S.F.

29. Desibrave

October 3, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Only worry if at all for Phillies could be Joey Votto. He could knock a few homers and keep Reds in the game.., but their young pitchers are not going to be any good in playoffs..

30. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 8:55 pm

LAND SHARK,2ND ROUND IS A 7-GAME SERIES……..

31. Land Shark

October 3, 2010 at 8:56 pm

No team in baseball wants it with the Phillies this season…In all honesty I think the Braves are tough enough to sweep the Giants, and we all know what we done to the braves these last 2 weeks (5-1 baby)

32. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 8:56 pm

OR THE NLCS,I SHOULD SAY……

33. Desibrave

October 3, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Land Shark, Looks like you are baseball illiterate.., LCS games are best of 7.., I have seen quite a few guys on this blog with absolutely no basic knowledge of baseball..,

34. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 8:58 pm

BUT I DO AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT THE PHILLIES……

35. Land Shark

October 3, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Jay…I know. What Im saying is that the Giants aren’t going to get passed the Braves to even see a 7 game series with the Phils

36. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 8:59 pm

DESIBRAVE-BRAVOMAN HAS TUCKED HIS TAIL BETWEEN HIS LEGS……LOL

37. Chuck

October 3, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Land Shark…YOU’RE the one “who doesn’t know that much about baseball” if you think that the NLCS and ALCS are 5 game series.

38. Land Shark

October 3, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Okay, Okay….I admit I didn’t realize that it was a 7 game series. Guess I am an idiot, but HEY! They still aren’t beating the Phillies lol

39. Desibrave

October 3, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Jay, you are running a good show here man.., Keep up the good work!

40. Land Shark

October 3, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I know, I know…I don’t know what I was thinking. Blonde moment lol

41. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:00 pm

OK-OK LAND SHARK,I HEAR YOU BUDDY,NOW YOUR TALKIN……..

42. Chuck

October 3, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Joey Votto.

AND…..

JAY BRUCE

43. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:01 pm

WELL TY DESIBRAVE,BUT I DON’T RUN ANYTHING………

44. Desibrave

October 3, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Jay, regarding Bravoman, its good to have someone like him on the blogs like these., to just keep everyone charged up.,

I am sure Bravoman is celebrating the Wild card win.., he would be all drunk by now..,

45. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:02 pm

JUST A FAN…………..LIKE EVERYONE ELSE…..

46. Chuck

October 3, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Jay is running the show. Who put HIM in charge of this thread??

47. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:03 pm

A FAN WITH A LOT OF TIME ON MY HANDS AS CHUCK WOULD SAY……..LOL

48. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:04 pm

NO ONE CHUCK,NO ONE……

October 3, 2010 at 9:06 pm

@Ryan – after this weekend when the “Gigiantes” just barely got by the Padres, you’re now callling for a WS win? Please share more on this uninspiring team that squeaked in to the playoffs.

50. Desibrave

October 3, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Chuck, Don’t worry about that bruce guy..,

Jay Bruce can only hit in that Great American “Small park”.., He has 18homers in that small park and 6 else where..,

51. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:08 pm

WHATS UP LEFTY,READY FOR WED??????

52. Desibrave

October 3, 2010 at 9:10 pm

The most dangerous team in NL is out .. That is Padres.., thats a shame though., Padres have most entertaining running game in all of baseball. Everyone including their pitchers can steal bases (a little exagg…)

Padres have best Starting (3) pitching after Phillies and THE BEST Bullpen in all of baseball.,

October 3, 2010 at 9:11 pm

You bet buddy! I would have loved to see those teams have to us their pitching staffs a little extra this week, but that’s the way it goes.

54. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:11 pm

THE REDS CAN HIT,BUT THERE PITCHING DOES NOT SCARE ME AT ALL……..

October 3, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Desibrave, just last week you said the Braves had the best bench and the best pen in baseball. BTW Congrats on the Wildcard.

56. Desibrave

October 3, 2010 at 9:13 pm

BTW Braves lost 9 straight games in April and Padres lost 10 straight in September, and braves edged Padres out of playoffs by one game..

And here is one commong factor.,

Braves started their 9 game skid against phillies

Padres started their 10 game losing skid against phillies

October 3, 2010 at 9:13 pm

We are used to playing in a hitters park, Great America is no problem.

58. Andrew from waldorf

October 3, 2010 at 9:14 pm

The Giants are indeed the biggest threat to the phillies. Getting them in the NLCS is way better than NLDS.
    Phils win the WS.

Hope the phils play at 8 next sunday so I dont have to watch the pukeles. Kolb sucks maybe worse than mcloser if thats possible

59. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:14 pm

YOU ARE RIGHT DESIBRAVE,BUT PHILLIES HAD SOME TOUGH TIMES EARLY ON,GOT HEALHTY AND THEN…..BOOM!

60. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:15 pm

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THAT ANDREW……

61. Andrew from waldorf

October 3, 2010 at 9:16 pm

How do the braves celebrate?
    they should be ashamed. Lets hope the Braveless can at least be competeive and take a game from the Giants.

62. Desibrave

October 3, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Lefty, I said braves have A class pitching and A+ class Bulllpen…

In July/August Braves had the best pitching staff if you coung all 5 starting pitchers, Medlen Tommy john and Jurgens recent health issues left us with Hudson, Hanson and Lowe..,

The bullpen arms fell off during the last 6 games., Braves bulllpen has second best ERA in NL , but the way their bullpen lost games against phillies this series, ofcourse our fielding sucked big time,

but i can’t count on their bullpen, i could be proven wrong., they can rest for 3 more days and get ready for thursday

63. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:17 pm

YEA LEFTY,PLUS THE POSTSEASON IS NEW TO THE REDS………ALOT OF PRESSURE……

October 3, 2010 at 9:17 pm

It would be nice if Braves could take at least 2 games, but the way they play defense, it ain’t gonna happen

65. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:20 pm

IF THE BRAVES COULD WIN 1 IN S.F,THEN THERE CHANCES GO UP BECAUSE OF THERE HOME RECORD…….

66. Andrew from waldorf

October 3, 2010 at 9:20 pm

SF is a little scary cause of the pitching only

i would think in the nlcs we could pitch to pat.
    Pat has carried that team.

We shoulda got him when the Rays released him!

October 3, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Cox and Larussa have always overused their bullpens.

I have a saying, I think it’s true in all sports.

Players can win or lose games, – managers can only lose them

68. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:22 pm

ALSO-I AM GLAD THE REDS ARE SENDING 3 RH PITCHERS AT US………

69. Andrew from waldorf

October 3, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Braves arent beating timmy game 1
    is it sanchez game 2?

then its lights out and they wont even show up game 3. like this weekend. which was embarrassing. Be nice to dream of them winning the series. but with that defense and bullpen no way.

I mean today the old man puts in Baez to lose and the braves almost couldnt beat a team that needed to lose.
    Any updates on JC or Ruiz injuries?

70. biz

October 3, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Reds Vs Phillies, by position:

RF) Jay Werth > Jay Bruce

CF) Vic = Stubbs (I guess. Stubbs is a leadoff man who is top 5 in the NL in K’s, Vic has a better glove and arm)

LF)Raul > Gomes (Gomes > Raul before the break, since the break, Raul > Gomes. Gomes fell off a cliff mid season.)

3B) Polly = Rolen

SS) Jimmy > Cabrera

2B) Utley > Phillips

1B) Howard Every other catcher in MLB

H2O > Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez

Madson/Lidge > Rhoades/Cordero

I broke it down as best I could, as unbiased as I could. Yes, Ibanez is better than Gomes. Gomes has been invisible the 2nd half while Raul has been a huge factor batting 6th or 7th for the Phillies. You could argue Rolen is a little better than Polly or vice versa, but basically they’re a wash.

71. Desibrave

October 3, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Andrew,
    You are right.. i was not impressed with Braves celebrating neither.., They were leading the division by 7 when Chipper, Medlen were done for the year.., Braves totally lost their way when chipper got hurt.,
    Hudson had a horrible september, and braves didn’t score any runs for Hanson..
    Bobby Cox never liked Wild Card.. But the current group of players that are calling themselves as braves namely, Melky Cabrera, Rick Ankiel, Derek Lee, Alex Gonzalez, Mclouth, will not even be Braves next year., Could be that they are celebrating but no real braves fan will celebrate a wild card victory.,

72. biz

October 3, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Dunno what happened at Ryan Howard in my last post. I typed in:

Howard slighty Every other catcher in MLB

The internets ate my post

October 3, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Biz what does that mean? Howard slightly Every other catcher … huh?

74. biz

October 3, 2010 at 9:32 pm

aha!, there is a glitch in the coding that will not allow me to write that carlos “chooch” ruiz is greater (>) than every other catcher in MLB if it follows “howard slightly < Votto"

October 3, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Andrew I’ve checked everywhere I can think of, nothing new on injuries.

76. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:32 pm

LOL BIZ

77. biz

October 3, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Lefty, using the greater than less than signs makes the sight act up. Its a coding glitch. See above

78. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:33 pm

YEA ANDREW-JC HAS A SORE BACK AND CHOOCH IS SORE,BUT X-RAYS WERE NEGATIVE…..

October 3, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Howard slightly than every other catcher

80. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:34 pm

THATS FUNNY BIZ…..

October 3, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Wow it doesn’t work!

82. biz

October 3, 2010 at 9:34 pm

here, I’ll reverse the order of the “>”

Chooch > Every other catcher in MLB

Howard slightly < Votto

October 3, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I tried too biz, very strange

84. Chuck

October 3, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I would take Ibanez over Gomes ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Pretty good breakdown, biz.

85. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:35 pm

HOWARD>VOTTO

86. biz

October 3, 2010 at 9:36 pm

lol

Whatever. The Phillies are pretty much better at every position and in the pitching staff than Cincy. Reds are the Phillies-lite.

87. Chuck

October 3, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Votto is definitely the X Factor for the Reds. If he’s hot for this series….then there COULD be problems.

88. biz

October 3, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Thank you Chuck.

And I would take Raul over Gomes, too. ALthough in May it looked like Gomes was in the MVP race. .295 and 50RBI by june

89. Ryan

October 3, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I just went on a Reds blog. (Yes, apparently there is such a thing.) They are all talking out of their asses…

90. Desibrave

October 3, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Let me say this before i call it a night..

“IF PHILLIES DO NOT SWEEP REDS I WILL BE SURPRISED” .

Good night all…,

91. biz

October 3, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Revised:

Reds Vs Phillies, by position:

RF) Jay Werth > Jay Bruce

3B) Polly = Rolen

SS) Jimmy > Cabrera

2B) Utley > Phillips

C) Chooch > Every other catcher in MLB

1B) Howard is slightly trailing Votto, but I wouldn’t trade the Big Guy, he’s a proven winner.

H2O > Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez

Madson/Lidge > Rhoades/Corder

October 3, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I think we have a big advantage in that we play in a hitters park like they do. Other teams go in to Great America and get blown out, we have the type of club that can play that kind of game too.

93. biz

October 3, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Ryan Says:
    October 3rd, 2010 at 9:38 pm

_______

LINK?

94. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Details on Vance Worley’s next destination (it isn’t the NLDS roster) and other quick tidbits on the blog. http://go.philly.com/highcheese

95. Ryan

October 3, 2010 at 9:42 pm

They’re all like…”Philly fans are about to learn that nothing comes easy in the playoffs. They will learn that the Reds are for real!”

…I’m sorry, but I don’t think that a team that has thrived by beating bottom feeders and has made the post season for the first time in over a decade, winning a division that is 2/3 below .500 can “educate” a championship-calibur team like the Phillies.

96. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:42 pm

YEA I WOULD LIKE THAT LINK 2 PLZ……

October 3, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Biz,
    Believe me, if anyone would recognize what it looks like to talk out there azzzzz- it would be Ryan.

Ryan- Link?

98. Chuck

October 3, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Yeah, I would love to see what the Reds fans are saying…

99. jt

October 3, 2010 at 9:43 pm

the nl is weak if the phils don’t hit a slump and play to their potential,they should handle any of the nl teams…phils are the only team that stand a chance against al team but anything can happen october is a whole new season btw anyone know if the phils will be the day game or evening game?

100. Ryan

October 3, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I left a few minutes ago. I’ll have to navigate back to it cause I can’t remember the site…

101. Ryan

October 3, 2010 at 9:44 pm

That wasn’t an actual quote either, but they were asserting such things.

102. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:44 pm

5:07 WED-JT

October 3, 2010 at 9:44 pm

@Ryan – after this weekend when the “Gigiantes” just barely got by the Padres, you’re now callling for a Giants WS win? Please share more on this uninspiring team that squeaked in to the playoffs.

104. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:45 pm

JT-TBS AS THE COVERAGE…..

105. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 3, 2010 at 9:46 pm

HAS…SRY

106. biz

October 3, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Lefty, I gather as much. lol

107. Chuck

October 3, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I wouldn’t say that the Giants “squeaked into the playoffs”

They were something like 6 games out at the beginning of Sept. and went something like 18-8 during that month.

All while the Padres sh*t their bed.

Giants are a good team that took advantage…and they’re in.

108. Chuck

October 3, 2010 at 9:49 pm

How long does it take to “navigate back” Ryan….???

Is there such a site??

October 3, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I meant almost blew it Friday and Saturday Chuck- had to win today, uninspiring

110. jt

October 3, 2010 at 9:50 pm

the phils games on tbs usually start at like 2:30 or 3:00 the last years i didn’t know if they’d start then or they’d be later game.

111. Ryan

October 3, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Sorry, it’s not actually a Reds blog, but it’s mostly Reds fans. It was this one guy that ticked me off.

It’s: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5644266

…hope that works…

October 3, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I believe we’ve lost Ryan. Earth to Ryan?

113. Ryan

October 3, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I’m “BleedsPhilly” lol

114. Ryan

October 3, 2010 at 9:53 pm

click on the comments # on the bottom.

115. Ryan

October 3, 2010 at 9:54 pm

dmanthony seems a lot like Bravoman imo.

116. Andrew from waldorf

October 3, 2010 at 9:55 pm

The yankees ended up with the WC?
    I predicted they wouldnt make the WS this just cements it

I am thinking minn maybe. TB is banged up

October 3, 2010 at 9:57 pm

LOL-
    “ohio – the phillies beat jimenez, santana, hudson, cain, carpenter, kershaw, and pettitte this year. chapman has a great arm but your statement that “Howard, Utley and the rest of that crew will not know what to think when that 103 to 105 mph fastball hits the catchers glove while they swing away at the air” … that’s just stupid. ”

It really is- the only thing we can’t hit are 80 mph knucklers

118. Chuck

October 3, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Ryan goes from saying he’s on a Red’s blog to giving us a link from MLB.

Here’s a REAL Reds blog. I didn’t read anything yet but……

Also…

119. Kate

October 3, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Any other year, and I wouldn’t have celebrated the Wild Card, as a Phillies fan.

But I’ve been saying since we were in third place with half a roster and running out of bench guys who were still on the bench that if the Phillies could somehow pull it out enough for that Wild Card, I would be celebrating all over the place. I see no reason to change that tune just because we took back the East.

Once Ibanez, Werth, Valdez, and the bench guys clawed their way back to second place, my hopes for the Wild Card were replaced with expectations of the Wild Card. Then we took the Wild Card spot. After the Astros series, came the big push past the Dodgers, the Padres, and a night in Colorado that was almost as crazy as that sixteen-inning outing at home.

And then came September.

Now comes October. Here we are.

I have high hopes against the Reds. The Giants still scare me, but we can beat them. But let’s focus on the Reds this week, because there’s always the small chance we won’t meet the Giants.

And that’s what’s going to make this postseason magical.

120. Chuck

October 3, 2010 at 10:01 pm

No sure why my comment is awaiting moderation. Because I posted links to two Reds blogs???

October 3, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Chuck, You have to post them on seperate entries. I learned that when I was trying to show comparison stats.

122. biz

October 3, 2010 at 10:12 pm

What did Cueto do to LaRue? Anyone know?

123. Andrew from waldorf

October 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Thank you to dusty for not using Wood.
    The pitching match ups are very one sided.
    Needless to say if the phillies lost this the disappointment level would be very high.

124. jt

October 3, 2010 at 10:17 pm

The phils are gonna need h20 to show up big the reds pitching isn’t light out but I don’t see our offense rocking their pitching we know how the offense has been up and down…doc been waiting his whole career to get to playoffs let’s see if he can handle the playoff pressure.

125. Chuck

October 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm

126. Chuck

October 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm

127. Chuck

October 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Thanks, Lefty.

(Stupid computers!!)

128. paul garrett

October 3, 2010 at 10:34 pm

If I’m not mistaken we were 5-2 against the Reds this year:
    6/28 Kendrick gives up 5 earned in about 6 innings we lose
    6/29 9-6 Phils win
    6/30 4-3 loss on 2 run HR by Bruce and solo from Votto 3 run HR by Sardina wasted. Halladay gets complete game loss.
    7/8 4-3 Phils win
    7/9 down 7-1 in ninth we win 9-7 Best game of year
    7/10 and 7/ 11 1-0 Philly wins (Halladay and Hamels)
    Looking OK for Phils…

129. biz

October 3, 2010 at 10:50 pm

______

I remember that game well. Charlie saw a gassed Doc give up 1 in the 6th, 1 in the 7th and 2 in the 8th. Another example of Charlie not being proactive. He allowed 8 hits in those innings while Manuel just sat and watched. I recall being furious about it.

It reminds me of about a dozen Blanton starts this season where he looks good thru 5 and in the 6th/7th inning he starts to get in trouble and Charlie waits until he implodes and coughs up the lead before giving him the hook. Very frustrating.

130. Philly Texan

October 4, 2010 at 12:32 am

Obviously, the Phils are the favorites in the NL.

But anything can happen in the playoffs. If the bats go cold and Votto and Rolen and Phillips get some big hits….who knows.

The Reds are a young, cocky team—not unlike the Phils a few years ago. They’re dangerous.

And so are the Giants, but I won’t even think about them cause we have to get through Cincy first.

Anyway, it’s the best time of year. Let’s enjoy this week, y’all.

Go Phils!!!

131. jeff

October 4, 2010 at 1:21 am

What I hate about the playoffs. Cold, rainy weather. End the season at the end of August and play in September. We will have rain all week. No game Wednesday, you can count on that. Does not feel like baseball anymore. They will wait a week to play this first game. Baseball is every day.

GO G MEN.

To bad Vick did not break all those ribs. WHO LET THE DOGS OUT.

REID IS YOUR PROBLEM NOT MCNABB.

132. bacardipr05

October 4, 2010 at 2:03 am

Its going to be a nice ride coming up the Phils can keep it together. They have shown at times they can put it together. The offense needs to get it together dont strand to many runners. H2o and Madson, Lidge, Contreras and Durbin need to do their job on there bullpen. We can do this do everyone has to give it that extra effort. We been here before…

133. Brooks

October 4, 2010 at 2:36 am

Chuck really grows on you – I knew what he meant when he said not to be surprised if the Giants found a way to beat the Phils – even though I dont think its possible.

The Braves, Reds, Yanks, Twins are all just kind of limping into the playoffs this year. I’m thinking the Phils, Giants are in the NLCS and Yanks will be at Tampa. I have no doubt will be the Phils from the NL and I guess I’d slant towards Tampa this year. The Rays handled the Yanks during the season and the Yanks starting pitching is questionable past CC this year.

I love fall ball! Ain’t nothing better!

134. Brooks

October 4, 2010 at 2:41 am

I’m thinking that we will see a few games where the Phils leave tons of men on base, they always do but H2O has pulled us out. So, I am counting on someone one or 2 (Howard, Utley, Werth, Vic, Rollins, Ibanez, Jroll – so many to choose from!)) of our stars give us a show –

October 4, 2010 at 5:40 am

Biz- As I have said over and over this season, if we never let Blanton bat a third time, we win. The most egregious mistake was the 1-1 tie game against the Cardinals. JB Batted top of the seventh and I was fuming. As usual he was pitching well in the middle innings, but self imploded in the bottom of the seventh and Cholly ends up lifting him but it was too late.

It was as plain as day to me, but he couldn’t see it.

And as strange as it may sound after that rant, I still think the stubborn old goat should be Manager of the Year.

136. Brooks

October 4, 2010 at 7:49 am

Lefty, I just don’t see how Cholly can be denied. All the crazy injuries and yet AS game victory, NL East Division champions, best record in all of baseball. Cholly for Manager of the Year in NL

137. bfo_33

October 4, 2010 at 8:04 am

Reds are going to be tough…..next year. This year, they have the look of a team who is happy to have made it, and they have no starting pitching. I think they’ll pull one game off against our pen in some late innings heroics, but will fall short – Phils in 4. Giants don’t have much after their starting pitching – Braves are similiar, but their starters are faltering. Giants will win that series – probably sweep.

The most competitive series may be the Giants – Phils NLCS, but I like the Phil’s chances. While their starters are good, we can hit the two righties, and I don’t think their closer matches up well against the Phils offense. Looking at 6.

All the AL teams are limping into the postseason. While the Yanks can hit, CC can’t pitch every game.and no other post season eligible starter on the team has a winning record after the all-star break. This is the year the Twins beat the Yanks. Rays are in a similar situation as the Yanks, but may be able to take advantage of the lack of experience of the Rangers – I think that series goes 5, with the Rays taking it. The Twins will take the Rays in 6, Rays won’t be able to handle playing in the snow.

The WS may take until Dec to finish – how do you build a stadium in MN without at least a retractable roof? If the left side of our infield is reasonably healthy, Phils take it in 5. If not, may go 6, but I don’t see H2O losing more than 2 games.