2010 Game Recaps

Ross Clobbers Halladay, Leads Giants to 1-0 Lead

It had been a long, long time since anyone had seen Roy Halladay give up a hit. Like 20 days long. On this night, he gave up eight of them, including two home runs to eighth-place batter Cody Ross in the Phillies 4-3 loss to the Giants in Game 1.

Halladay looked nowhere near his no-hit form of October 6, and perhaps this time, the long layoff coupled with the brisk conditions may have led to his demise. Those, however, are excuses, which Roy Halladay will not make and did not make following his somewhat-lackluster showing. His line: seven innings, eight hits, four earned runs, no walks, and seven strikeouts.

“Well, I made some bad pitches. First pitch to Ross I don’t think was that bad, but the second one I left the ball over the plate,” said Halladay. At least he stuck around for the accountability. Ryan Howard bolted early, missing the media following his 1-for-4, three strikeout-night.

Ross absolutely owns the Phillies in his career. His two bombs to left field were the second and third of this postseason, with the first one a no-hitter-killer in the second inning. To that point, Halladay had a personal 13. 1/3 inning hitless streak -including the regular season finale against the Nationals – snapped on Ross’s first homer. His second home run in the fifth inning gave the Giants a 2-1 lead, which they would add to one frame later. His regular season numbers against the Phillies are staggering during his career, which includes 13 of his 86 career home runs. He only added to his resume with this showing.

In the sixth, Halladay unraveled a bit as he allowed three two-out hits in succession, putting two more on the board for San Francisco. Buster Posey led off with a single, followed by a Pat Burrell double to left field. Raul Ibanez appeared to have a beat on it as he jumped against the wall, but dropped it. Posey scored, make it 3-1 Giants. Burrell was replaced by pinch-runner Nate Schierholtz who touched home on a Juan Uribe first-pitch single to center field.

After Ross’s first jack, Carlos Ruiz got the crowd back into it almost instantly as he led off the bottom of the second with a home run to right. That home run extended Ruiz’s postseason on-base streak to 24 straight games and added to his silly totals during that stretch. In those 24 games, Ruiz is hitting .338 with six doubles, four homers, and 14 RBI to go with a .495 on-base percentage. Tonight, he needed a little help from his friends but didn’t quite get enough.

In the bottom half of the sixth inning, Jayson Werth would finally make his presence felt, going to the opposite field with a big two-run home run to cut the Giants lead to one. But they would get no more as Ruiz and Werth were the only Phillies to show up.

Giants starter Tim Lincecum left went seven innings, giving up six hits while walking three. His two blemishes were the home runs to Ruiz and Werth. “The Freak” wasn’t freakishly good or unhittable as he allowed several hard hit balls, but he seemed to lock it down when necessary.

Lincecum was aided by poor situational hitting from the Phillies. They finished the night 0 for 5 with runners in scoring position, which on the surface may not seem like much, but against a pitcher like Lincecum, they are big time opportunities gone by the wayside.

Eighth and ninth inning rallies fell short for the Phillies as they stranded a runner on base in each frame. In the eighth, Jimmy Rollins failed yet again in a bit situation, whiffing at heat from Giants closer Brian Wilson. Rollins surely does not look to be the same guy that took this same situation a year ago and led the Phillies to a win.  You’ll recall in Game 4 of the NLCS, Rollins smoked a gapper off of Jonathan Broxton to send the Phillies to a 3-1 series lead. In this one, he swung right through Wilson’s fastball.

In the ninth, Ross Gload and Shane Victorino each struck out with Carlos Ruiz on first base to end what little threat they had going. As a unit, the Phillies left seven men on base, missing several opportunities to overcome the so-so performance from Halladay.

Tomorrow night, they’ll get right back at it with a very tough matchup. Jonathan Sanchez, the lefty feaster will go up against Roy Oswalt. It’s about as close to a must-win as possible.

Here are some photos from Game 1:

1. Andrew from waldorf

October 17, 2010 at 12:15 am

Its not the end of the world.
    The series is on now. There went the cushion for the fightins.
    Must win sun night now.

2. Brooks

October 17, 2010 at 12:19 am

Your right Andrew but Cody Ross is a sissy. Always has been and will be.
    Howard, Rollins, Ibanez, Victorino all puked tonight. Phils could not put a string together if their life depended upon it.

Halladay was human, the offense was the same as we’ve seen time and time again, just cannot seem to put together a bunch of hits.

A must win is an understatement.

October 17, 2010 at 12:20 am

That’s the thing I’m scared of, though… the “must-win” nature of Game 2 –which is the one against that lefty who usually dominates our lineup. We need to somehow get to him, but I gotta say that out of all the matchups that there will be in the series, Game 2 (and probably Game 6) are the least ideal for the Phillies.

4. Brooks

October 17, 2010 at 12:25 am

I said it before although I did not think it would come right away against our ace – the Phils offense will have a dud game or 2 – thus a long series. Either 6 or 7 games. Now that they beat Doc (with the utility OF Cody Ross, sissy extrodinaire) – this could be sickening.

5. Andrew from waldorf

October 17, 2010 at 12:28 am

@ Manny
    Agree with you. There is a reason I was big time on telling people why this series wasnt a walk over or steam roller.

BUT

The phillies have won these games the last 2 years. It really is time to do it. I think they beat Sanchez. now they have to.

6. Philly Texan

October 17, 2010 at 12:52 am

I hate to say this, but this loss is on Halladay.

He wasn’t that sharp tonight. He wasn’t terrible, but he clearly lost focus after the missed third strike against Burrell. I thought it was a strike, but you can’t dwell on that. Halladay got rattled and gave up two more two-out runs that cost the Phils the game.

You’ve got to buckle down in that spot and I wonder if that wasn’t some postseason inexperience he showed there.

Four runs in 7 innings isn’t terrible, but you can’t let your team fall behind 4-1 against Lincecum.

And, yeah, the offense has been cold. But in this series, against this team, the Phils are going to have to win some games scoring only three runs.

And tonight their ace let them down.

7. bostonkate

October 17, 2010 at 12:55 am

I’ve been saying from the get go this will be the hardest team to beat. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised If the giants do take it.

8. keng

October 17, 2010 at 12:56 am

y would charlie not put valdez on first for ruiz with 1 out in the ninth?? – down by only 1 run with 2 out to go and u obviously need ur absolutely best base runner on first!!! – that may have been the biggest faux pas ive ever seen a major league manager make in a critical playoff situation – any thoughts????

9. Andrew from waldorf

October 17, 2010 at 12:59 am

@ keng
    I said the same thing.
    Guys I watch with didnt get it.
    But with 1 out you arent going. with 2 outs you are. I can see the old mans logic. He did put in valdez with 2 outs. In a way I understand.

10. Andrew from waldorf

October 17, 2010 at 1:03 am

Gonna give you guys the percentages.
    Coming in Giants are 25% to win series
    Now they are 45% to win the series. If they win tomorrow it jumps to 80% they win the series.
    So even if the phils dont win tomorrow they arent eliminated but it will be tough to overcome.

Gee seems like Andrew typed till he was blue in the face about how this series is problematic. But I had to go through mounds of dimwits telling me it didnt matter who they played. Just tonight had to read about steam rollers and juggernauts. If the phils win this series I agree they steam roll the Yankees or the Rangers. But winning this series isnt going to be easy.

11. BravoMan

October 17, 2010 at 1:05 am

Giants take this in 6. They gave Halladay a little San Francisco treat and he didn’t like it. He looked mad, so did all those Philly fans that looked shocked. Cody Ross said, “TAKE THAT BEEEEYATCH” and he did it TWICE!

Giants win series in 6.

12. Andrew from waldorf

October 17, 2010 at 1:05 am

If the phils lose tomorrow Ill be in a pissy mood and explain to everyone how Ross and Pat the bat are more of a threat to the Phillies than A Roid and Texiera. Cause it wont be pretty.

But for now I am still in a joyous mood. Phils should win tomorrow and win the series. Its what they do.

13. BravoMan

October 17, 2010 at 1:07 am

Yeah, don’t ignore Andrew’s predictions. He gets angry if you do. He’s always right. Don’t believe me? Ask him. He’ll tell you right to your face….errr through the computer screen.

14. jt

October 17, 2010 at 1:12 am

Roy really did let us down I didn’t expect him to give up 4 runs to the giants…tomrrow is must win we will seeif roy o craps his pants or shuts down this team…if we lose tomorrow this series is pretty much over…..

15. BravoMan

October 17, 2010 at 1:12 am

Cody Ross will win the NLCS MVP. Watch and see.

Dang Andrew….this prediction stuff is pretty fun.

16. BravoMan

October 17, 2010 at 1:16 am

You guys have to admit though that having a rival fan on here talking smack pumps you guys up even more. See, if Philly wins the series than you have an extra motivation to pump your fists and shove it to the faces of rival fans. It makes things a little funner.

If I’m right than it makes it a little more aggravating, I would assume.

17. Andrew from waldorf

October 17, 2010 at 1:17 am

For me personaly I was most disappointed tonght in Shane.
    Roy did get squeezed but I am not disappointed in him.
    It was the second game hes pitched since september 27th.
    The layoff was bad.

18. Kate

October 17, 2010 at 1:55 am

And here’s Bravoturd again. Enjoying the Braves off-season?

I say the Phillies take tomorrow night, two out of three in San Francisco, and the series goes seven, with the Phillies winning at home like they should.

I was calling for Valdez in the sixth and I called Chooch’s homer. No way was he letting his BFF Roy hang out there.

19. MikeB.

October 17, 2010 at 1:58 am

I agree with Andrew from waldorf. The five days off in a row really showed on the Phils in this game.

20. Andrew from waldorf

October 17, 2010 at 2:02 am

@ Kate
    I called the Ruiz homer too . Pinky swear LOL. He is a fast ball hitter and Timmy was getting hit kinda hard the first few innings. And Ruiz is that kind of player.

Charlie isnt yanking Jimmy. I like seeing Valdez in the lineup. I think hes deserved some starts. But its not the way the old man does things.

21. bacardipr05

October 17, 2010 at 2:03 am

I didnt think our offense did so bad. This was Lincecum yes we could of capitalize a little bit more. We needed Halladay to pitch a little better. This is going to be a tough serious. We need a momentum swing and we need it now folks.

22. Brooks

October 17, 2010 at 3:37 am

bacardi – Victorino, Howard, Ibanez and Rollins – no sustainable offense at all. Hopefully, this was our dud – it may not be our last one of this series but a dud none the less.
    O was out. If Ibanez holds on, this game is ours.
    And Andrew, I’ll put a donut to your dollar about tonights game. I say that both Patsy and Ross wont hit Roy Oswalt.

23. bacardipr05

October 17, 2010 at 5:26 am

I stepped out when it was 2-1….i get text saying 4-3…Thought it was 4-3 Phils…then i heard it was Giants 4…i was in total Disbelief that they got 4 off DOC…

24. SAM

October 17, 2010 at 7:48 am

If Rollins doesn’t step up tonight then I’d sit him for a game or two in favor of Valdez. Rollins is supposed to be the spark on this team. It’s just like the spark plug on your lawn mower. If it doesn’t work …. your lawn mower starts choking or dies so …. you replace it.

25. sportsphan

October 17, 2010 at 8:29 am

Folks, let’s talk a few facts. Our offense only scored 6 earned runs in the division series. So you can’t assume it’s just one game and they’re going to bounce back. Second, Oswalt was a deer in the headlights in his start in the division series. Tonight is an absolute must win–what do you think he’s going to be like? Third, we do badly against Sanchez. Fourth, Charlie is too loyal to do the right thing and sit Rollins for Valdez. I love the Phillies with all my heart, but I have to look at the facts. It’s the only thing that will keep me from ending up devastated. Don’t be blind. The Giants are going to win this series in 6 and then beat the Yankees. It doesn’t matter what the “breaks” are or the umpire does. We HAVE TO HIT!!!!!

26. Chuck

October 17, 2010 at 8:49 am

Doc wasn’t suffering from “postseason inexperience” as someone above suggested. And he mentioned after the game that the umpire was consistent for BOTH teams. The team …..and the crowd……looked flat last night. Tonight will be different. Oswalt pitches better than his game against the Reds and the Phils scratch out a W.

October 17, 2010 at 8:54 am

Sportsphan- if it helps you cope with the stress of the series to say the Giants will win, good for you.

I admit it, I am in minor angst this morning over the loss. But having been through what I have, I understand that sometimes you have to be in pain to survive, and you can never give up on your guys. I know you love the Phillies, and if your way works for you I guess it’s okay, but don’t push it on me.

My way is “don’t stop belivieving” even if we lose tonight and the first game in SF, we STILL have a chance. Remember the Red Sox v Yankees, and the Yankees didn’t just win the first three games they dominated them. But the Sox came back and won 4 straight.

This team is 3-1 in the playoffs in 2010. That’s .750 baseball. Win 3 out of every four from here on out, and we have a PARADE!!!! Don’t stop beliephing!!!!

October 17, 2010 at 8:56 am

As Andrew said last night Chuck, It’s on now! You gotta believe pal, just gotta believe.

29. The Dipsy

October 17, 2010 at 9:24 am

Outplayed. Doc pitched well but left two pitches in to Ross that should have been, and were, clobbered. Lincecum was eminently hittable last night but the offense just failed. As they say, the other team gets paid, too. Plus, both pitchers were getting the everlovin shit squeezed out of them and, yes, an average fielding LF makes that play last night.

Lets get it back tonite.

The Dipsy

30. Michael

October 17, 2010 at 9:35 am

I really have no idea how tonights game is gonna pan out. This team will not win if Ryan Howard is striking out on three pitches, if chase utley is not aiming for the gaps, and if Raul Ibanez is dropping baseballs. Had Raul not dropped that baseball, the inning would have been OVER and we could have possibly won 4-3. I really am just not “feeling” it. this offense is so inconsistent and torturing that I just really have no idea which phillies offense will show up tonight. And by the way, CAN WE PLEASE AT LEAST TRY TO MOVE RUNNERS OVER WITH NO OUTS? THANKS!

31. George

October 17, 2010 at 9:54 am

Phils may heve been outplayed, but is wasn’t by more than a speck. The Giants didn’t look all that great either, getting a few bloop hits which the Phils didn’t. The biggest problem was three Halladay mistakes that somehow got hit: Ross hit two and Burrell hit the other. Lincecum’s booboos were mostly hit at fielders. I also don’t think an “average” left fielder would have made the catch of Burrell’s double, but a slightly better than average one would have. Ibanez is niether.

One has to chalk this one up to nothing in particular. Just one of those games.

32. Eamonn

October 17, 2010 at 10:09 am

Can someone please help me understand what Raul was doing when he did that silly half jump into the wall on Burrell’s gapper? After watching the replay multiple times I’m almost positive that he catches that ball without the stupid jump. Anybody else agree?

October 17, 2010 at 10:22 am

Weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cody Ross spelled backwards-

Ssory Doc

34. Adam

October 17, 2010 at 10:24 am

Still not to worried about the series. I mean the Giants scored four runs and were aided by Raul ineptitude at the wall. Here is the one thing I am concerned about: Shane and Jimmy: 0-9 with 5 K’s. They both look awful.

Also, anyone confused why nobody can Brian Wilson. He throws only outside fastball to both LH and RH. He does not have nasty stuff. This is a guy the Phils should pound.

With that said, kudos to the Giants for taking Game 1, but I still feel like the Phils will take this series.

35. Chuck

October 17, 2010 at 10:25 am

Does Pat Burrell make that play?? Seriously….people love to get on Raul all the time…even though I’ve seen him make some pretty spectacular plays in his 2 years here.

He said that he misplayed it…pure and simple. I’ll bet that if a similiar situation occurs tonight….he makes the play.

Can’t blame the outcome on any one thing. A few mistake pitches by Doc, some squeezing by the ump (for BOTH sides), poor situational hitting.

Put it to rest and come out tonight and beat Sanchez.

36. The Dipsy

October 17, 2010 at 10:26 am

Lefty……amazing. How did you figure that out? I’m not down on Raul, but average speed is all you need to make that play, IMO. Its nit picking. LF is a place for bad fielders…so.

The Dipsy

37. Chuck

October 17, 2010 at 10:28 am

One more thing…

I thank Pat Burrell for his years of service here and for helping the team to a WFC in 2008.

BUT….

I will take Raul every single time. Misplayed ball last night and all.

38. Chuck

October 17, 2010 at 10:29 am

“Average SPEED”???

Dipsy, he got to the ball. He just didn’t time his jump properly. In fact, he really probably didn’t have to jump at all.

October 17, 2010 at 10:30 am

The Dipsy- I just googled Cody Ross, and there it was.

October 17, 2010 at 10:33 am

Raul’s play should never have even happened, Pat was struck out and got another chance.

Both Jimmy and Vic hit much better from the right side, and both will be batting that way against the lefty Sanchez tonight.

October 17, 2010 at 10:36 am

We will hit Brian Wilson, he may be slightly better than Broxton, Street, etc. – but not much. We”ll get to him.

October 17, 2010 at 10:40 am

Raul’s play- It was bound to happen to us sooner or later, every team in this postseason has had someone make a big mistake in the field. It was a better effort than Jay Bruce, or Brooks Conrad made.

43. Chuck

October 17, 2010 at 11:02 am

The more Bochy trots Wilson out there for more than one inning….the more vulnerable he will be.

Dude sort of reminds me of Randy Myers. Anybody remember that nutcase? Played with army toys and figurines in the bullpen. Gave the manager heart attacks…but was pretty effective though.

44. Andrew from waldorf

October 17, 2010 at 11:03 am

Wilson is average and the beard is clownable.
    Especially with their dumb manager using him more than 1 inning and getting him over 30 pitches last night. Thats a nice thing the phils have going for themselves tonigiht.
    Lose tonight and I will still believe. Lose tongiht and game 3 and its over. Tis isnt the sorry ass yankees the Red Sox got to beat 4 in a row.

I am hoping that some of the arrogance posted here is gone now. Fne to be confident. I still believe the Phillies win the WS. But some of the casual fans guarentees and babble about things like opponents dont matter is one of my pet peeves.

Te Phillies win tonight because they have to and its what they do. Period.
    If you check last nights game thread before the game I was preparing people for a loss. I would never predict one but I had a feeling. tonight runs the opposite. Like that game they scored 10 on Johan “the cripple” Santana. the Phils step up in these situations normally. If they dont we have serious problems and probably arent winning this series.

45. Chuck

October 17, 2010 at 11:03 am

Can’t even put the Raul play in the same league with Brooks Conrad’s mistakes. And Jay Bruce is a good outfielder. He lost the ball in the lights and the Phils caught a break.

Sh*t happens…

October 17, 2010 at 11:11 am

I agree Lefty… I actually like J-roll tonight because he almost hit .300 from the right side this season.. so I’d actually be fine if he stays in the 6th spot.

Actually, I would even consider sitting Rauuuuuuuul and letting Frisco play. Better defense and a righty bat with some pop against a lefty. Frisco vs lefties this season hit .284 with a .901 OPS. (And you guys know how much I like RAUUUUUUUUL… but we gotta get to Sanchez somehow…)

Ideally, I’d have Frisco bat 6th, J-roll 7th tonight.

October 17, 2010 at 11:26 am

Manny, I doubt the old man would start Ben F. Just because he would think he was messin with Raul’s confidence based on the play at the wall last night. But I get your reasoning.

Andrew, I would not start Valdez. Maybe the Phillies played their best ball in Sept. with him in the eight hole, but the problem with Jimmy on the bench is he can’t play third like “rocket arm Wilson” can, if we need to replace Polly. And there isn’t anyone else.

October 17, 2010 at 11:40 am

Rollins’ career numbers vs. Jonathan Sanchez: 1-for-16 with four Ks and no walks.

Sureeee… give him some more at-bats by moving him to leadoff!

/Ends rant

49. Andrew from waldorf

October 17, 2010 at 11:45 am

Thats funny.
    The old man probably thinks he we lost with rollins not hitting first why not?
    Shane owes us. He should be hitting first tonight.

but the old man has a history of things like this working so what am I to say what to do.

50. krukdriver

October 17, 2010 at 11:50 am

Whether third or short, Wilson should play. He proved his worth to this team when things looked the bleakest, and Manuel should not be afraid to use him.

If the Gods of Baseball have annointed Cody Ross the blessed one for the 2010 playoffs, so be it. Pitch around him.

51. Kate

October 17, 2010 at 11:58 am

The key for Oswalt tonight is to bring his A-Game and realize that Chooch has nothing BUT A-Game.

I wasn’t seriously wanting Jimmy lifted last night, but I have to admit I missed Valdez a little bit.

Like I’ve been saying to all my friends, we need to make it past the Giants to get to the Yankees or Rangers. I was the only one in my group who wasn’t completely shocked by the loss last night.

52. Andrew from waldorf

October 17, 2010 at 12:12 pm

LOLOLOLOL
    @ pitching around the Giants 8 hitter

But I am on record also saying Valdez deserves a few starts. Thus far in the playoffs his only start the phillies won.

October 17, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Someone in the advanced scouting dept. had the book wrong on Cody Ross. No way Chooch/Doc calls for those balls low inside in the zone if he’s told not to.

Heads will roll!!! 🙂

“Just say no” to JRoll leading off Cholly, please?

October 17, 2010 at 12:29 pm

If you want to get JRoll going, slip him to 7th or 8th, get him mad.

I like when Jimmy plays with an edge, when he stakes himself to something, make him angry old man.

55. Chuck

October 17, 2010 at 12:40 pm

In Charlie We Trust.

56. Bruce

October 17, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I am amused at a few young posters here pointing the finger of blame on one or more players on the Phillies team. Some even give the impression of gloom and doom with their comments. Hey, Lincecum pitched a little better than Halladay last night and had a very effective bullpen to back him. Is that really a surprise? It’s ironic that an old Phillie killer, Ross combined with the newest Phillie killer, Burrell provided the offensive support.

So it’s one game in the best of seven. Manuel is right to express concern for the Phillies’ offense. They must step up as a team especially tonight. The offense has been sputtering of late especially with RISP. I have confidence with a veteran like Oswalt to pitch well tonight. Hopefully, the offense kicks it into another gear against a tough lefty in Sanchez. For all intent and purpose, it’s a must win tonight. Consider this…over the last 18 years, only three teams that lost Game 1 of the N.L.C.S. have gone on to win the series. At least Lincecum won’t be available to pitch. 😉

57. Ted Bell

October 17, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for Rollins to get going…the guy’s been in a steady decline for two years now. I wouldn’t bat him 8th to make him mad – I’d bat him 8th because that’s where he belongs in this lineup. It really makes me wonder what type of contract offer RAJ will make to Rollins after next season. He can certainly find more cost effective solutions at shortstop.

The bad news is that the Phillies have never won a post season series in which they lost the first game. If they lose today, I’m afraid there won’t be another game in CBP until April 2011.

I’m Ted Bell.

58. Andrew from waldorf

October 17, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Ryan Howard at the Eagles game.
    I dont like it. He needs to hit tonight.

My love of Utley and Rollins is known. They are why we win.
    But they arent getting younger and have lots of games played at positions that take alot out of you.
    People start wrapping your brains around one or both of them leaving.
    Like I did with Werth about 2 years ago. Makes it much easier on you.

Kind of an irrelevant post considering whats on the line today but i am just saying.

59. Ted Bell

October 17, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Ryan Howard should definitely not be a football game right now.

I’m Ted Bell.

60. Andrew from waldorf

October 17, 2010 at 1:44 pm

@ Ted
    Not only is he there. But hes miked up and yucking it up with the announcers.

Stupid. Opens himself up for criticism tonight. If the Phils lose tonight and lets say he strikes out 4 times 2 times with runners on. Its going to be tough.

October 17, 2010 at 1:45 pm

WTF…. WHY WHY WHY is Howard at the football game? Seriously, WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

October 17, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Is this what you call getting mentally ready for a game?

63. The Dipsy

October 17, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Should Ryan be locked in in room grinding the handle of his bat until it turns into sawdust? Maybe he’s trying to relax? @ Chuck – A LF with average speed doesn’t need to take that ball with a run and a jump. An “average” guy… He’s there in time and he lifts his glove over his head, and makes the catch in stride. No need for hopping or skipping or whatever that was.

The Dipsy

64. Ted Bell

October 17, 2010 at 2:08 pm

After his performance in the WS last year and so far this year in the playoffs, I’d think Howard could find better ways to spend his time than appearing on Letterman and attending an Eagles game. It just doesn’t look good…

I’m Ted Bell.

October 17, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I’m with Ted Bell.

There are other ways to relax… Going to an Eagles game and talking to the announcers isn’t one. Watch some video, stay home, work out, pray, whatever… but this is unacceptable behavior, imo.

66. jt

October 17, 2010 at 2:16 pm

They need to get a new scouting report on cody ross their a reason he’s hitting 8th and they need to figure out why I don’t want to get beat by their #8 hitter I’m not surprised pat came up big either

67. Shag beta sigma delta

October 17, 2010 at 2:18 pm

The Phillies like it when they are backed into a corner, this is the match up I most feared in the playoffs. Roy 2 has to come out and out pitch Sancheaz tonight end of story. The offense is what it is this year, would like to see Shane bunt, not sac bunt but bunt for a hit with some one first and no outs, even Jayson should be able to bunt for a hit, with one on and no outs, if he gets thrown out at fist at least they move the runner. I always said the time off would hurt Ryan, he is a rhythem hitter and time off hurts him. I know I would be in the minority here but JRoll leading off would not surprise me or upset me. He likes it up there and it is not Vic is setting the world on fire up there. And as much as some of you would like to see Ben Fran in left field Charlie will not do that. Maybe in the WS if they make it and let Raul DH. Charlie is loyal to his players so you will not see any panic moves, and putting JRoll leadoff would not be desperation.

68. Chuck

October 17, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Actually, I LIKE Howard….and any other Phillie that wants to go….at the Eagles game.

Eagles are killing the Falcons….look FIRED UP.

Why wouldn’t that be good for the Phillies to witness? How is this “unacceptable behavior.”???

69. Andrew from waldorf

October 17, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I agree wth dipsy in principal.
    But why be on the TV? But also what is he supposed to do. Glad hes relaxing. But he needs to hit tonight. Period.

maybe this is better for him than praying. But HIT THE BALL tonight
    And we dont care. I guess it matters that they lost last night. but it really shouldnt. If the Phils win last night its a different mindset for the fans. In a way glad the players arent of our mindset.

70. Shag beta sigma delta

October 17, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I would 100% disagree with some of you about Ryan being at the football game. 8 o’clock start what time should he be at the park, even if he is early would be 4pm. So unless he is shaking hands after the game I would not worry. Sitting in the locker room or at home thinking about his game would not help at all. What happens if he goes 4-5 with 4 rbi and a HR tonight would it be ok then that he went to the football game.

71. Chuck

October 17, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Dipsy, he (Raul) said that last night….alluded to the fact that he probably didn’t have to climb the wall…or whatever he attempted to do. Same situation tonight….he makes the play….bank on it.

72. Chuck

October 17, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Exactly, shag. Eagles over at 4. He goes across the street and had 4 hours to “Mentally prepare”

Relax, dawgs…

73. Chuck

October 17, 2010 at 2:25 pm

^has 4 hours

74. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 17, 2010 at 2:25 pm

RYAN BEING AT THE EAGLES GAME JUST SHOWS ME THAT THEY ARE STILL VERY CONFIDANT,NOT FREAKING OUT LIKE SO MANY OF YOU ARE!THIS TEAM HAS BEEN THROUGH IT ALL,JUST RELAX PEOPLE………….

October 17, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Perhaps “unacceptable behavior” is too strong… but I’m not happy at all… Sure, maybe that’s his way of relaxing 4 hours before the game… but it just looks bad. I wonder what Raul, Halladay, Utley, Chooch are doing right now… definitely NOT at the Eagles game! (Hope I don’t have to eat my words)

October 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm

And sure, if he gets some timely hits tonight I’ll be happy and get over the fact that he was at the football game… but with Sanchez on the mound and his lackluster performance so far, I’m not holding my breath.

This is the playoffs, dammit!

77. Chuck

October 17, 2010 at 2:48 pm

How does it look bad? It’s not like he went to Atlantic City after last night’s game and is showing up an hour befor game time.

Dude’s right ACROSS THE STREET watching a football game. I guarantee you that most of the guys are probably in front of a TV anyway….either at home or in the clubhouse.

October 17, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I’m just saying, we as fans want to see him getting ready for Game 2 of the freaking NLCS… not making TV appearances… That might be unfair but it is what it is.

79. Ted Bell

October 17, 2010 at 3:00 pm

If a guy that had an embarrassing WS last season (.174, 13 Ks, and 3 RBIs in garbage time) and is having a lackluster postseason so far in 2010 is cocky enough to yuck it up on game day then more power to him.

BUT, until the point comes when he starts producing like one of the game’s highest paid players, I as a fan have the right to question his actions. Do you think Roy Halladay would make himself open to scrutiny like this? That dude is focused on baseball. To me, it looks like Ryan may be focused on his brand name. I’ll be waiting for Howard to prove me wrong…I doubt it will be against Jonathan Sanchez tonight.

I’m Ted Bell.

80. Andrew from waldorf

October 17, 2010 at 3:09 pm

His handlers should have not let him be on TV
    Same way as if this team was a last place team and he went on entourage id be pissed.

They win last night and its just a guy at the game. But they lost last night.
    I wonder what Ruiz is doing!
    Probably watching univision.

I am gonna relax and enjoy today and tonight. They lose tonight then its panic time.

81. Philly Texan

October 17, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Wilson Valdez isn’t the answer!

He’s not a good hitter. Period. And that’s not a knock on him. He had a great year for us and lord knows we wouldn’t be here without his contributions at the plate and especially in the field.

But….Wilson Valdez isn’t going to ignite the offense against this pitching staff.

And while Wilson is a great defender, defense isn’t our problem right now. Rollins is a gold-glove SS who’s making all the plays J-Roll looked pretty good in the field last night. Obviously, he sucks at the plate right now. But Valdez isn’t going to fare any better.

Putting Valdez in just replaces one light-hitting, sick-fielding SS for another. It won’t help the team. So you’re just making change for change sake, which feels like panic, especially when you’re benching one of the team leaders with no apparent benefit to the lineup.

If Rollins starts making errors, then maybe we go to Valdez. But right now the Phils need to start hitting.

I think it’s about f—ing time we socked it to Jonathon Sanchez. I’m tired of seeing that guy pitch around six walks. Make him pay for his wildness.

It starts to tonight! Go Phils!

82. Chuck

October 17, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Ryan Howard has done enough for me over the years…proved himself…that this doesn’t bother me. I really don’t think that whether or not he’s across the street at the Eagles game will have any negative bearing on his performance tonight. And…as I said earlier…maybe it will actually help to get fired up.

I get it. I want him to do well, too. But if he doesn’t tonight I’m not gonna point my finger at him and say, “See. You shouldn’t have been at the Eagles game.”

October 17, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Is Ryan across town at a strip club downing Cuervo?

Sheeeesh it’s a football game, right next to where he’s going anyway.

84. Andrew from waldorf

October 17, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Ill never get wrapped up in a first baseman. They are supposed to hit.
    Insert one of about 20 there and your OK.

I still like Howard.
    Last years WS wasnt on him at all. I didnt even remember he was that bad in last years WS. He will win some games in these playoffs for us I hope.

On a lighter note.

Horse walks into a bar.

Bartender says:

why the long face?

85. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 17, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Phillies Game 2 lineup: Victorino 8, Utley 4, Polanco 5, Howard 3, Werth 9, Rollins 6, Ibanez 7, Ruiz 2, Oswalt 1.

October 17, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Glad he didn’t put JRoll leadoff

Go Phils- You Gotta Believe

87. jt

October 17, 2010 at 4:50 pm

why charlie stick with rollins is crazy…i respect his loyalty,but their comes a time when enough is enough j-roll has done nothing……….

88. The Dipsy

October 17, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Black dude walks into a bar with a parrot on his shoulder. Bartender says “Hey man, where did you get that?” Parrot says” “Africa. They’re millions of em.” Rimshot (lovin you Shag).

I don’t care that Howard went to the birds game. Probably should have opted not to go on T.V, ya know. I mean, where’s the upside with that move?

The Dipsy

89. Chuck

October 17, 2010 at 5:20 pm

No upside. No real downside either. 3 hours til game time. Howard’s probably gettin his “game face” right about now…

How’s that song go? Que sera sera….whatever will be will be.

90. Kate

October 17, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I don’t care that Howard was hanging out over at the Linc. Sure, he could probably do with some batting practice with that time, but he probably went right over to CBP afterward.

I’ll bet being at the Eagles game fires him up anyway.

We take it tonight, then two out of three in San Francisco, and this series goes seven games. The Yankees and Rangers are going at least five now. I don’t see a problem with that situation if our bats start lighting it up.

Chooch and Little Roy should be talking about pitching around Cody Ross right now, though. And Big Roy should chime in and tell Little Roy to trust what Chooch is calling.

91. Chuck

October 17, 2010 at 6:35 pm

No question that the Eagles “fired him up”.

If it got ME fired up, watching at home once in awhile while doing chores around the house…..it sure as hell fired him up, a competing athlete witnessing the game live and in person.