Salisbury Talks Werth, Lidge & More

Jim Salisbury joined “The Sports Bash with Mike Gill” on our partner radio station 97.3 ESPN in South Jersey yesterday. He talked about what went wrong for the Phillies in the NLCS against the Giants, but also had interesting things to say about the dynamic of the team.

Salisbury talked about Jayson Werth and whether or not he would be back, but he also touched on some other surprising topics. Brad Lidge was one of them, and he believes there’s a chance he’s moved (or at least the attempt will be made). Also, he says that Ruben Amaro will be on the horn to Cliff Lee’s agent.

Take a listen to the entire interview here -it’s a good one.

1. Bart Shart

October 28, 2010 at 10:15 am

Salisbury and Gill are two excellent commentators who really know baseball. Always a pleasure listening to them.

October 28, 2010 at 10:28 am

Moving Lidge? Interesting… He had a pretty good season, after all… We’ll have to wait and see.

3. Kate

October 28, 2010 at 10:55 am

I hope they don’t move Lidge.

4. Chuck

October 28, 2010 at 11:27 am

Yeah, but Lidge’s trade value may be the best it’s ever gonna be. Salisbury sees the possibility of Madson now being ready for the closer’s role. The Phillies have to at least listen to offers.

5. Sam

October 28, 2010 at 11:31 am

I’m hoping they don’t change to much around here lol

6. betasigmashag

October 28, 2010 at 11:35 am

I am not sure you can get a better closer out there for less money, I think you will see the starters not pitching into the ninth in 2-3-4 run games so the pen will be importent. I will say that I have faith in the FO if they do move guys they have a plan to fill the holes. Sometimes I can not post and I said it before with the pitching they have I really think you can platoon Ben Fran Raul Brown. If you can get 15-20 HR .260-.270 BA from ben fran if he played more full time, which would work if Vic Chase, JRoll, Ryan have years closer to there average year you can have Ben Fran in Right even if he only has 10-15 HR and hits .260

7. Rick

October 28, 2010 at 11:46 am

Damn. The firewall here at work is preventing me from downloading this interview.

What exactly was said about Cliff Lee? Not really expecting the Phils to go after him but hearing this has me intrigued.

What does everyone think about the possible platooning in right field?

8. Geoff

October 28, 2010 at 11:51 am

I agree with Salisbury about that. Moving Madson to close, and moving Lidge frees up a bunch of money to rebuild the bullpen. Go get a lefty and re-sign Contreras, bring in another late inning setup type arm.

Try to move Ibanez, maybe even Utley (uh oh I said it again! blasphemy!!!!). I like Matt Diaz to platoon with Brown in Right. Francisco to platoon with Ibanez in left.

9. The Dipsy

October 28, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I have no say that while I find Salisbury to be a pleasant guy, he’s not really all that as a reporter, and certainly not a guy that has any knowledge over and above what anybody else would have. RE: Brad Lidge. I would love the Phils to move him provided we don’t have eat a lot of salary. I don’t think any team would take Lidge at the full boat. RE: Cliff Lee. Why? I guess if you wanted to not pick up Oswalt’s option and trade Blanton, it would work. It just seems like a lot of effort. Maybe RAJ knows something about what Lee would want from the Phils that we don’t. I’m think 5y/110m to get it done and RAJ won’t pay that.

The Dipsy

10. Bob in Bucks

October 28, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I share Dipsy’s opinion on Salisbury. He seems to “report” his own guesses rather than having any basis for them.

Nevertheless, I like the idea of the Lidge trade. Lidge finished strong which could make him attractive, even if the Phils have to eat a little of the salary. If we are looking for some more money to do something else this seems the most logical place as Lidge has some value rather than those who want Ibanez to go who has little trade value.

11. Bart Shart

October 28, 2010 at 1:14 pm

The blog MLB Trade Rumors and Ben Nicholson-Smith says that Dom Brown will possibly be platooned in right field next year if the Phils fail to sign Jayson Werth. Interestingly, he says that 26-year old Jeff Franceour is a likely platoon candidate because he rakes left-handers and is a gold-glove caliber outfielder. Let’s see what happens.

12. The Dipsy

October 28, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I mean seriously, why on Earth would RAJ call Lee’s agent? That’s just stupid reporting. Does he mean RAJ would call him to just say “hi”, or “how’s the family?” because it certainly won’t be about serious interest into acquiring his client’s services. BDBIII’s dream/reality Phils lineup for 2011

CF- Emilio Bonafacio S
    3B- Placido Polanco R
    2B- Chase Utley L
    1B- Ryan Howard L
    RF- Brown/Cuddyer S
    SS- Jimmy Rollins S
    C- Ruiz R
    LF – Ibanez/Diaz S

The Dipsy

13. Chuck

October 28, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Ok, you got me…

Either I’m stupid….or just not hip and cool and up on all the “abbreviations”…

BDBIII ???

14. The Dipsy

October 28, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Sorry Chuck. BDBIII is actually an abbreviation of my god given christian name. Thats funny. Not trying to be hip or anything. OMG I would never do that.

The Dipsy

15. Chuck

October 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I would never take you for being hip. Part of your charm is that you’re NOT.

As for the Lee thing….I agree….WTF!!! I would put the chances of Lee signing here at about – 100% (that’s MINUS). Ridiculous.

16. The Dipsy

October 28, 2010 at 3:06 pm

That hurt a little Chuck.

The Dipsy

17. Phan in the outfield

October 28, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Hahaha. Okay break it up, break it up.

I’m with The Dipsy on Salisbury. I’ve never understood where his alleged knowledge & foresight came from.

18. Greg

October 28, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Why the hell would you want Emilio Bonifacio over Shane Victorino?

19. Bob Myers

October 28, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Lee is bitter against the Phillies. Rather than a discount, there would be a higher price to do penance to get him, like making Ruben Amaro walk over hot coals or something….

We don’t need another elite pitcher anyway. Love to have him, but it’s not the key need.

We need:
    1. A New Hitting coach
    2. Another very good starting pitcher
    3. Bullpen help
    4. Something creative to give us a good starting R.Handed batter
    5. For Rollins, Utley, Howard, and Victorino to return to form.

20. The Dipsy

October 28, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Greg – I’ll take Cuddyer over Shane.

The Dipsy

21. psujoe

October 28, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Phils need a patient lead off hitter with speed, a left handed stud or two in the Pen and a power RH bat that doesn’t KO too much. They also need to resigned Wilson Valdez at all costs. Another starter would be a huge bonus, but not a necessity.

Phils have the minor league talent to make all this a reality.