Moyer to Have Tommy John Surgery – Phillies Nation
Analysis

Moyer to Have Tommy John Surgery

Jamie Moyer has battled time and again to prolong his career to an age that few in baseball ever come close to reaching. Pitching beyond the age of 48-years old, however, may not happen for Moyer has he’s set to undergo Tommy John surgery.

On the facebook page for his foundation, Moyer wrote, “It’s official – Jamie is having surgery Wednesday and we are cautiously optimistic Superman make a comeback!”

Optimism is the key word here because Moyer may reach 50 by the time he’s able to pitch in any sort of game again. Tommy John surgery can take anywhere between 12 and 18 months, but this sort of surgery isn’t often done for pitchers in their late 40’s. As Dave Murphy pointed out in the Daily News, John Franco was the last instance of a pitcher undergoing this procedure in his 40’s. Franco had the surgery at 42 and went on to pitch three more seasons.

Moyer just will not take no for an answer. His drive and guile should be applauded, however, sometimes you have to know when to say when. After his rehabilitation is complete, it’s hard to believe a major league team will give him anything more than a tryout. Really, that’s all Jamie Moyer needs. He’s surprised people before, he’ll likely do it again.

1. Dan

November 30, 2010 at 10:29 am

It was fun to watch Jamie pitch because his stuff was not dominating but he still managed to make hitters look really bad. He took advantage of their aggressiveness and had an immense knowledge of the game. He has a heart of a champion and this shows in yet another attempt to defy the odds. I’d prefer him as a back-end starter to Blanton and Kendrick.

2. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

November 30, 2010 at 10:43 am

I WISH NOTHING BUT GOOD LUCK TO THE YOUNG MAN!!!!

3. brooks

November 30, 2010 at 10:56 am

Jamie should run for political office – he would be a fresh blast of clean air. And I think he’d go for it.

4. jeff of Nova

November 30, 2010 at 11:03 am

Wow imagine if the surgery adds some speed to his pitches? Would love to see him comeback!

5. brooks

November 30, 2010 at 11:06 am

6. NJ

November 30, 2010 at 11:34 am

I don’t think Moyer pitches again for the Phils unless he is willing to accept the minor league deal with a call-up clause when he is fit, but this is great news for baseball. It’ll be a great PR story for fans of the game if he can pitch a game aged 50 and he’ll be close when he starts his comeback.

Good luck old man! Rootin’ for ya

7. The Dipsy

November 30, 2010 at 11:34 am

Narcissism. Plain and simple. Jamie Moyer in “Requiem or A Southpaw”.

The Dipsy

8. The Dipsy

November 30, 2010 at 11:35 am

*”Requiem For A Southpaw”.

The Dipsy

9. Chuck

November 30, 2010 at 11:42 am

Who cares?

November 30, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Starting to remind me of guys like Unitas and Carlton when they got old but wouldn’t give it up. For my boy Lefty, it was a bit embarrasing at the end but he just couldn’t see it. Retire with grace Jamie, and thank you for everything, you’ll aways be a hometown Phillie to me.

11. brooks

November 30, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Aye, go with peace! Job well done Jamie.

12. bfo_33

November 30, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Lefty was a little different – he kept at it after his prime because his financial adviser killed his bank account. I’m sure he saw it, but needed the paycheck. Since he shut down publicly, he never got the “big” endorsements (for the day, anyway) like Schmidt, Ryan, Brett, and other stars of the day. He probably earned more money from “Married with Children” then he retained from his Phils days. Other guys may have better numbers, but the only starters I ever saw near as dominant as lefty was Pedro, Halladay, maybe Seaver in their prime (a little too young for the studs of the 60s).

If Moyer wants to become a pitching coach, a left arm would come in handy. Might as well get it done now, even if he never pitches again. I hope he comes back, then at least there will be someone older than me playing in the mlb.

13. Bart Shart

November 30, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I agree that Jamie should retire with grace and consider a career as a pitching coach.

14. Bob in Bucks

November 30, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Most of us would have said the same thing when he was 40. The man won’t stop and I wish him the best. Great story when he pitches at 50.

15. rob5000

November 30, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Guarantee he pitches in the majors again.

November 30, 2010 at 2:29 pm

bfo – I didn’t know that Lefty had financial reasons for hanging around too long. Good point.

17. George

November 30, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Dipsy-

Wanting to try to continue doing something you truly enjoy is not narcissism.

Listening to yourself throw around big psychological terms might be, however.

18. Kate

November 30, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Moyer will go when Moyer says it’s time to go.

Until then, I’m rooting for him.

He might not be flashy, but he knows his d*mn stuff. Who knows? He might think he still has pitching to learn.

19. The Dipsy

November 30, 2010 at 4:33 pm

OK George. Sorry. Try this: “Damn, dude. Jamie is so full of himself he’s just gotta give it up. Maybe he could spend some time with his kids before they’re all grow’d up.”

The Dipsy

20. Kate

November 30, 2010 at 6:47 pm

I think our man The Dip hates all ballplayers over the age of thirty-five.

21. Bruce

November 30, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Wow! Moyer wants to give himself another chance to continue pitching despite all obstacles. If anyone can pull it off, he would be the one to do it. Long may he pitch till he catches up with Satchel Paige whose career ended at age 58! (smile)

22. The Dipsy

November 30, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Just the overpaid, underperforming ones, Kate.

The Dipsy

23. Chuck

November 30, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Just saw Moyer interviewed on Hot Stove on the MLB Network. Wouldn’t necessarily call him a narcissist….but I think he’s crazy. Guess he wants to have a healthy arm just so he can continue to play ball with his 8 kids.

24. George

November 30, 2010 at 8:09 pm

I should have put one of those insipid little smiley faces (which I absolutely detest) after my post, I suppose.

But I still think Moyer is entitled to try to get back to what he seems to enjoy, and it’s not narcissism and it’s not that he’s “so full of himself.” And what’s with the “all grow’d up?” Does anyone with any education actually speak that way?

Anyone who posts on a website, including myself, is probably a little full of himself. Get over it, Dipsy. Sometimes you sound ridiculous.

25. Chuck

November 30, 2010 at 8:35 pm

🙂

26. Kate

November 30, 2010 at 9:15 pm

If it was anyone but a Jamie Moyer, who has proven time and again that he’s more than a decent human being all around and can hack it (oldest pitcher with a complete game shut out not long before his elbow injury, won ten games for us with a couple of no-decisions), maybe it would be a case of an inability to let go.

But this guy remained a solid starter right up to the moment his elbow tweaked on him. He deserves a chance to see if he can mount a comeback before people start ripping on him.

Time may prove that it’s time for him to hang it up and focus on coaching. Any team would be lucky to have him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he couldn’t do it. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he could do it.

You can’t beat Jamie Moyer for pure heart, determination, and guts, unless you’re a Roy Halladay. Both are in classes of their own, the good kind.

If Jamie Moyer can’t do it, no one can. Unless they’re at least a decade younger.

27. The Dipsy

November 30, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Dear George: In your first post you alluded that I was using big words in an effort to be “pedantic” or something. Sooooooo…when I posted back I said “grow’d up” to kinda create a contrast between the image of the know-it-all that you created for me with the intentional misuse of a phrase to make myself appear just the opposite. Get it. I was just being ironical.

The Dipsy

28. Adrian

November 30, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I totally get it, The Dipsy. The Moyer just can’t let go of The Glory. I for one will truly be sad the day he officially hangs ’em up.

~The Adrian

29. Greg

December 1, 2010 at 12:18 am

Guarantee he’ll learn to throw a knuckleball and work his way to the majors.

30. jeff

December 1, 2010 at 1:20 am

Go away Jamie. You have been an average pitcher your whole time playing. The only reason you have wins is because you have been pitching so long and the Phillies scored runs for you. He is not a nice guy. We saw that with what he did last season. Retire already.

31. Kate

December 1, 2010 at 10:00 am

Go away, Jeff. You have been a below-average human being your whole time on this site. The only reason you’re allowed on here is because you’re amusing every once in a blue moon and people like to laugh at you. You are not a nice guy. We see that with every post you make. Goodbye already.

32. jeff