News

Cliff Lee Signs $120 Million Pact with the Phillies

Originally posted December 13, 2010 at 9:40 pm.

This afternoon Jayson Stark stated on ESPN.com that the Philadelphia Phillies were the rumored “mystery team” in the mix, along with the Texas Rangers and the New York Yankees, for the services of a free agent known as Cliff Lee.

Later in the evening, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal cofirmed via Twitter that the Phillies are involved in the pursuit of Lee.  Other info via the likes of Sports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman (yes, the real one) and others state that the Yankees still have the edge on the monetary value of the contracts offered.  However, if location means enough, as Lee stated in the past that he loved his time in Philadelphia, the Phils are certainly a contender to be high on Lee’s list of desired destinations.

Other reports state that the Phillies have touched base with multiple teams in an effort to trade Joe Blanton, which would help to free up money in the team’s ever-rising payroll.  Blanton is owed $8.5 million ($17 million total) in each of the 2 years remaining on his contract.

If the Phillies do re-acquire Cliff Lee, plenty of Phillies fans will be overjoyed.  However, it will still stand to be mulled over by some that the Phillies gave up several top prospects for Lee, later gave Lee away for very little to Seattle and then spent more money than they’ve ever given any pitcher to bring him back.

UPDATE, 10:20 pm: The twitter comments are coming too quickly to keep posting on here from the big guns, but in summation, it seems to be getting closer and closer to become a reality. Let’s not jump ahead of ourself because NOTHING is even close to done. However, by the sounds of the tweets from Jon Heyman and others, the Phillies may have jumped into the lead.

These “sources” are saying that it is probably not going to happen tonight, but there are so many factors at work tonight. Heyman has said Lee could leave as much as $70 million on the table to sign with the Phillies. Wow. We’ll have more as it comes.  -Pat Gallen

UPDATE, 11:35: Do yourself a favor and read the twitter of Joel Sherman of the New York Post. He’s summing up everything beautifully over a series of tweets (so make sure you read them backwards, of course). – Pat Gallen

UPDATE, 11:55 pm: Jon Heyman says the Yankees have been told they are out of the Cliff Lee dealings. – PG

UPDATE, 11:58 pm: Sources tell T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com (Rangers beat writer) that Cliff Lee is coming to Philadelphia, it is a done deal. – Pat Gallen

UPDATE, 12:04 am: The deal is done! Cliff Lee is a Philadelphia Phillie according to multiple sources. Unbelievable. Welcome to the big time, folks. Halladay, Hamels, Oswalt, Lee. Have fun and Happy Holidays all! – PG

UPDATE, 12:17 am: The terms of the deal have not yet been disclosed, but word is it’s a five-year, $100 million deal. Lee reportedly leaves a seven-year deal on the table from the Yankees that would have been worth more than $150 million. -PG

UPDATE, 12:35 am: Todd Zolecki of MLB.com says the deal is for five years with a vesting sixth-year option. The deal could be worth up to $120 million. Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com tweets that the Phillies are working to trade Joe Blanton to free up some salary space. – PG

UPDATE, 1:28 am: Joel Sherman of the New York Post says Lee left a seven year, $154 million pact on the table from the Yankees to join the Phillies. – PG

UPDATE, 10:32 am: Jerry Crasnick has crunched the numbers and this is what it comes down to.

Lee’s deal includes a $27.5 million option that vests if he pitches 200 innings in 2015 or a total of 400 innings over the 2014-15 seasons. If the option doesn’t vest, the deal includes a $12.5 million buyout.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems as though the five years equal out to $107.5 million with the guaranteed buyout in 2015 pushing the grand total to $120 million. The sixth year option, should it vest, would make the deal six-years, $135 million or the same as what the Yankees and Rangers offered as their base salary before options were included.

So yes, it’s a deal. However, Lee is still making plenty of bank, bro. -PG

UPDATE, 11:00 am: Crasnick tweets that he may not be leaving much on the table after all. -PG

1. Paul

December 13, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Unreal! I would be both stunned and elated if this happened.

2. Publius

December 13, 2010 at 10:54 pm

This would be….I don’t even know what it would be. It would guarantee that Blanton and probably at least one of Victorino/Ibanez/Rollins would be out of town, plus cash

3. The Dipsy

December 13, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Yes Jay, that would be a good question wouldn’t it? I suppose RAJ’s answer would be that now, they have “greater payroll flexibility” as well as “a flourishing minor league system” that they did not necessarily have at this time last year. In essence, He’ll say that now they can afford both Lee and Halladay, whereas last year they couldn’t. And this time they don’t have to give up prospects.

And remember, it was not RAJ’s call to trade Lee last year. Who doesn’t think that the FO told Ruben, “you can have Halladay or Lee, but you can’t have both”. So naturally he picked Halladay and rightly so.

It takes a solid dude to step up to the mic and say “hey I effed up when I traded Lee, and now I’m just trying to correct a mistake”. He would become St. Ruben to Phils’ fans after something like that. IMO.

The Dipsy

4. Geoff

December 13, 2010 at 11:00 pm

This better not drag into tomorrow. I want an answer before bedtime.

5. Geoff

December 13, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I said this in the other thread – the nickname for Halladay, Lee, Oswalt, Hamels has to be the Phantastic Phour – if this really goes down.

Also, the Yankees have also been rebuffed by Greinke, so that leaves…Carl Pavano! Wouldnt it be great to see them come crawling back to him?

6. Philly Geoff

December 13, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I can’t believe it…

7. Geoff

December 13, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I’d love to hear what our offer is, regardless of what happens.

8. bsizzle

December 13, 2010 at 11:03 pm

The longer it goes the better it is for us, right? Well maybe not if you were trying to get some sleep or some work done, lol.

9. mike

December 13, 2010 at 11:06 pm

RAJ knows exactly where this team is heading…

JW gone..
    Piece and Chase aging….

this team is going to be the EAST COAST GIANTS.

hell of a pitching staff…and no offense.

but if they had these 4…and the offense they do for 2011…

WORLD CHAMPS

10. Mazinman

December 13, 2010 at 11:07 pm

More and more analysis are starting to favor the Phillies chances. It still feels unbelievable but if Ruben call pull this off… wow… just wow….

*Crosses fingers*

11. Ken

December 13, 2010 at 11:15 pm

If we re-acquire Lee you can basically pencil us in to the World Series the next 4 years. Best pitching staff in decades. Im loving life now as a Phils Phan !

December 13, 2010 at 11:16 pm

This does not make sense.

What big deals have been called correctly by the national pundits? Did they get Werth right? no- Crawford? no. Rosenthal or Heyman (I get them confused) said Jeter was going to Boston!

Maybe the third team is Minnesota, but because MLB knows they are all watching football tonight, they can’t get ratings or hits on the site tonight if they say it’s them. So, what audience with a big population that cares about baseball in the winter could bring big ratings? Philadelphia of course.

What has changed since last winter? Did the payroll budget get bigger?

One thing changed for certain, our overall SP’s are much better than before we traded Lee and our offense got worse. I don’t see RAJ as a copycat, I think the Giants were a fluke.

Sorry, it just doesn’t add up for me.

13. Geoff

December 13, 2010 at 11:18 pm

It makes sense in RAJ thinking, which is…different.

December 13, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Geoff I like your name for them. I don’t believe we ever get to use the name, but good call.

15. Chris

December 13, 2010 at 11:25 pm

I dont really think you can compare Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Oswalt to Lincecum and those guys. or the Phils Offense to the Giants.

16. jonnyboy

December 13, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I dont know how i feel about this……wouldnt carl crawford have been a better sign than cliff lee? he’s younger and we really need a potent outfielder. we already had a top 5 starting pitching rotation….

17. Chris

December 13, 2010 at 11:27 pm

What could the Eagles possibly do to try to win back media attention if this actually happens? theyll prob sign the dog killer to a long term deal…

18. Andrew from waldorf

December 13, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Even with Lee they lose to the Giants.
    But

Maybe we do have more money than we all think

Which means 0 rbis contract is moot.

I hope the phils get him because it will mean just that.
    I wont be too thrilled. Hes a bit old and its long term. Id much rather have Grienke.
    The dog killer is the best player in the NFL right now.

19. George

December 13, 2010 at 11:30 pm

After this year, there will be a number of free agents from the Phils, and if Lee is signed there may not be enough money to sign any of them back.

I can’t say I’m entirely comfortable with this rumor. A Lee signing could break the bank.

20. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 13, 2010 at 11:35 pm

ANDREW-DO YOU REMEMBER WHO SAID VICK WAS GOING TO BE GOOD……THATS RIGHT…LOL……………………..BUT BOY THIS SOUNDS MORE AND MORE LIKE IT WILL HAPPEN!!!!!!!

21. The Dipsy

December 13, 2010 at 11:42 pm

@AFW – Thanks for the totally unconstructive post. Don’t say “we” please Andrew because you are not a part of “us”. I don’t know where you come from. You can have Greinke and his “social disorder”. And the Phils do have more money than they let on which is why Dave Montgomery has approved a “payroll exception” for the signing of Lee. Hey Dave…either you have the money or you don’t. What are ya gonna take a loan out to sign Cliff? Hardly. What do you think we are…idiots? You got the money…..fork it over.

The Dipsy

22. Bruce

December 13, 2010 at 11:43 pm

There is an old saying.. nothing spreads so quickly as a rumor. 😉

I for one will not take this one (Phillies bidding for Lee) seriously from the rumor mill. This one defies logic and common sense. You may notice that the writers as twitters did not identified their sources representing Phillies management. I wonder why? (wink, wink)

23. Andrew from waldorf

December 13, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Jay Vicks leading me to fantasy and real life glory. I liek the NFL again been awhile.

If hes taking the discount to come here WOW

Historicly speaking the 2011 phillies would be potentionaly unbielavable.
    Ill wait to see if it happens.
    Will be lots of pressure though.

24. Andrew from waldorf

December 13, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Dipstick do you have to reply to my every thought?
    Get over me. I dont even read your trash believe me.
    One of the most clueless ive come across on line on any format or topic

25. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 13, 2010 at 11:48 pm

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman

source: phillies rotation, in order, would be: halladay, lee, oswalt and hamels. greatest in baseball history?

26. Geoff

December 13, 2010 at 11:51 pm

The Yankees YES reporter is now making up nonsense saying that the Phillies badmouthed Lee. Its on MLBTR, that sounds like a last minute desperate attempt to sabotage a lost cause for them.

27. Andrew from waldorf

December 13, 2010 at 11:51 pm

If all 4 stay healthy and perform to expected level it would be the best rotation ever.

28. Mazinman

December 13, 2010 at 11:53 pm

I saw that report on the YES reporter. I agree with you Geoff and I do not think it would work. That the Phillies have swallowed their pride and admitted to the mistake my trying to sign Lee is a much stronger indication of what they think of the guy than anything some anonymous source could say.

*Keeps Fingers Crossed… which makes typing really difficult.*

29. Andrew from waldorf

December 13, 2010 at 11:55 pm

I thnk the best part of this would be sticking it to the Yankees.
    He really is thier only plan.
    As dispstick pointed out no way Grienke functions in new york.

30. The Dipsy

December 13, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I can’t. You occupy my every waking moment. From the second I wake up to the time I go to bed. Actually, thats not true. But I still think aboutcha lots. Actually, I only feel like I have to address you when you try to represent the colors. You’re somewhat of a poseur..a wannabee. You’re like a little brother in the back seat during a date at the drive in movie (Brady Bunch reference). Whatever clan or team or region or whatever you really identify with….please…go there. And stop poking us with your stick. You’re kinda like a remora (look it up). Just go forth and be happy..somewhere.

The Dipsy

31. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 12:04 am

Dipstick I can give you my email so I can give you my undivided attention. And you wont have to bore everyone with this.
    I understand that you are boring and I am intersting. But really let it go.
    I have to say it makes me laugh how some think they are all knowing and better than others. And how seriously they take themselves.
    Now go fourth and be happy

32. Dan

December 14, 2010 at 12:11 am

I would love to have Lee back. However, the phils FO needs to be wise. If making a financial commitment to Lee is imprudent in that it would limit the club in its attempts to improve other areas, there really is no need. Our starting rotation is fine.

33. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 14, 2010 at 12:12 am

Ken_RosenthaI Ken RosenthaI
    by JAY_AKA_PHILLY
    It’s (almost) official: Lee has reached a tentative agreement with the #Phillies, he is waiting to see if the #Rangers will offer 8yrs. #MLB

December 14, 2010 at 12:16 am

8 years!!!!!!! This is nuts.

And it still doesn’t make sense.

35. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 12:18 am

If he gets 8 from the Rangers I wont cry.
    If we get him I wont cry.
    To me its a win win situation

36. Geoff

December 14, 2010 at 12:18 am

Wow! WHAT THE HECK did the Phillies offer? I cannot wait to find out…

December 14, 2010 at 12:19 am

We have many needs, SP is not one of them. Long term contracts w pitchers (even beloved ones) are a very bad mistake.

38. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 14, 2010 at 12:20 am

SRY……..TURNED OUT TO BE FAKE

39. Trent

December 14, 2010 at 12:21 am

That ken rosenthal twitter account was fake guys…….none of that is true about the tenative agreement

40. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 14, 2010 at 12:21 am

I WILL CHECK IT BETTER NEXT TIME,NOT REAL……

41. Geoff

December 14, 2010 at 12:22 am

Ken_Rosenthal
    I have not tweeted anything new on Lee since story I wrote earlier. Anything else is a fake. #Phillies #Rangers #Yankees #MLB

42. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 14, 2010 at 12:23 am

FOOLED ME GOOD-LOOK AT LAST LETTER IN NAME!

43. Geoff

December 14, 2010 at 12:23 am

False Alarm.

Who has the time to create a fake baseball writers’ twitter account?

44. Publius

December 14, 2010 at 12:23 am

hey Jay maybe focus on actually contributing rather than just copying and pasting fake beat writers

45. Geoff

December 14, 2010 at 12:24 am

So to rewind it back…Yankees seem to be out. Its still between Phillies and Rangers with perhaps Phillies getting the nod slightly according to the other baseball writers.

46. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 12:24 am

@ Lefty
    I could not agree with you more.
    This means the Phillies are in the Red sox and Yankees of the world though and thats a good thing.

47. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 14, 2010 at 12:25 am

LOOK DUDE,BEEN HERE A LONG TIME,1RST TIME THAT HAS HAPPENED!!

48. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 12:25 am

does everyone have to fight here?
    Let people contribute what they want
    Lets worry about our own posts and not so much what others post.

49. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 14, 2010 at 12:26 am

AND IF YOU LOOK UP ,YOU WILL SEE I WAS NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!

50. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 14, 2010 at 12:28 am

LOOK AT TWEETS FROM PHILLIE NATION WRITERS……..

51. Pat Gallen

December 14, 2010 at 12:28 am

Lefty, I agree with you. But if he’s a top-10 pitcher and is willing to come here for $60 million less than market, dont you have to take it?

52. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 12:29 am

If hes taking less
    you have to make the deal
    period

December 14, 2010 at 12:33 am

This is all a bunch of c r a p. We don’t need Cliff Lee. We need RHB OF w power, back up utility infielder, real speed leadoff hitter, future defensive SS, young LH bullpen help. So many pieces. Why hamstring ourselves for years. It doesn’t make sense.

Concentrate on the small things, and we will be WFC again. Cliff Lee just means we have another pitcher losing games 1-0, or 2-1 like Hamels last year.

I do like the idea of shedding Blanton’s contract, besides Dennys grand Slam is going to eat all big Joe’s food anyway.

54. Geoff

December 14, 2010 at 12:34 am

I agree lefty. I also think they would need to trade more than just Blanton to make this work, right? Am I missing something here? I dont mean Raul either because that isn’t likely with all the bats still out there.

55. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 14, 2010 at 12:34 am

LOL-LEFTY

56. Geoff

December 14, 2010 at 12:35 am

I mean its still awesome, yes, but its not exactly something their hurting for right now.

57. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 12:36 am

I would think if hes signed maybe oswalt or Hamels is dealt
    Just saying

I agree with yuo lefty and i take a lot of heat for being negative LOL

58. Geoff

December 14, 2010 at 12:36 am

Plus, the only way for Lee to make up for his prospects sucking last year is to come back here and set things straight.

December 14, 2010 at 12:38 am

Pat – I love what Cliff did for us, I will never forget his contributions to Phillie lore. One of my favorite Phils for as long as I’ve been a fan, and that’s a long time.

But this just does not make sense fiscally. We have more pressing needs.

60. Geoff

December 14, 2010 at 12:38 am

I think they will hold onto the rotation. Blanton goes, maybe Raul, they won’t trade shane…Chase. I dunno. There’s some splainin’ to do. Because with this offer they are admitting they have WAY more money than they were letting on. They might have Red Sox – Angels type money, and I actually think they do. Thats pretty clear now. They will have near Yankee money with their next TV deal, with a now richer Comcast…

61. Geoff

December 14, 2010 at 12:39 am

Which means 175M payroll

62. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 14, 2010 at 12:40 am

“We peetch vedy good togeter. Pleese come heere.” -Ruiz to Lee

63. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 12:41 am

Theres a link to some tweets just posted
    read them
    If Lee is willing to go below market value you have to respect it.
    It means he wants to be here. Thats such a big deal.

64. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 12:43 am

And Lee isnt taking less to lose in the NLCS.
    I just dont think you need 4 aces.
    How about oswalt for an all star level OF?
    If this happens it will be very interesting to see where the rest of the dominos fall.

65. Geoff

December 14, 2010 at 12:44 am

Awesome tweets. WHAT is the Phillies offer. Havent found that yet. Lee does not want to be a Yankee, and Sherman is hinting that the Rangers are possibly bluffing with anything over what they have already offered.

66. Pat Gallen

December 14, 2010 at 12:49 am

Lefty – There is no one to spend money on out on the market. They made a pitch to what they thought was fair to Werth and someone blew them out of the water…nothing they can do about that.

I agree this is not a pressing need, but you can’t say no to putting together one of the best staffs of all time.

Going out and getting a difference-making outfielder will cost them prospects, not money at this time. If there were a guy like that available through free-agency it would be a different story.

67. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 14, 2010 at 12:52 am

AGREED PAT…….

68. Publius

December 14, 2010 at 12:54 am

http://bit.ly/icExAK Lee going to the Phillies. Rangers have been told

69. Publius

December 14, 2010 at 12:54 am

Phillies get Lee

70. Geoff

December 14, 2010 at 12:55 am

Done deal…hes ours according to mlb.com writer

December 14, 2010 at 12:55 am

Fair enough Pat, but anything more than four years is poison. Give him his 23-25 for 4. That’s enough, and if it’s not let Nolan Ryan have him.

72. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 14, 2010 at 12:57 am

Joelsherman1 Joel Sherman
    #Yankees are out on Lee. Told going in another direction by agent

73. Geoff

December 14, 2010 at 12:57 am

Now…WHAT is this contract for. This is really interesting. We have not heard a PEEP as to what the offer was, they came out of nowhere with this. What the H did they offer I wonder, and how much if any did he leave in New York or Texas?

74. Publius

December 14, 2010 at 12:58 am

uh Jay it’s already official, get with the program man.

Jeez.

75. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 12:58 am

WOW
    gonna have to digest this.
    Lefty has made a ton of very valid points.

Need to see the deal and need to see the other moves made this off season

December 14, 2010 at 12:59 am

Good night people, I guess we get details tomorrow.

JPB- If it’s true – Hellll Yeahhh! and Whooo Hoo!

December 14, 2010 at 1:00 am

We’ll assess tomorrow Andrew after the smoke clears. I’m out.

78. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 14, 2010 at 1:02 am

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

79. Publius

December 14, 2010 at 1:02 am

Per Joel Sherman Hear Lee’s deal is in the 5 yr, $100M range with #Phillies

80. Paul

December 14, 2010 at 1:02 am

Is it April 1st?!

Wow!!!

81. Jay Floyd

December 14, 2010 at 1:05 am

Let’s all go out for BEERS right now!

82. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 1:05 am

5 years
    I love it
    Think about it is 160 million more important than 100 million?

what you need 4 yachts instead of 3?

Now it gets interesting
    still think need some bullpen help and would liek to see the every day line up get younger

83. Geoff

December 14, 2010 at 1:09 am

Wow, so its 5 for 100? WOW! That is BRILLIANT if thats true.

84. Mazinman

December 14, 2010 at 1:12 am

I can’t believe it! I can get my Lee shirts back out of the closet! What a job by Ruben and thank you Cliff Lee for taking less money to come back to us!

The Phour Horsemen!

Woooo!!!!

85. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 1:16 am

Ruben must have a deal with the devil
    All these people will come play for him for less money.

86. Mike D.

December 14, 2010 at 1:17 am

Um…there’s no way, right? Like, there’s gotta be a catch, like a sign-and-trade, or something…no way…what????

87. Geoff

December 14, 2010 at 1:17 am

Yeah seriously, I guess he wont have to release those photographs after all..

88. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 14, 2010 at 1:22 am

R2C2 BABY………..SUCK ON THAT BRAVES,METS,NATS,MARLINS!!!!!

89. robbie e

December 14, 2010 at 1:24 am

And now the fans are finally happy.

90. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 1:24 am

It makes the trade even more goofy.
    But we got oswalt and the 3 prospects plus lee

If all 4 stay healthy its the best rotation ever.
    on paper

91. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 1:26 am

the yankees had all thier eggs in that basket too
    they are screwed

92. Jeff of Nova

December 14, 2010 at 1:26 am

Holy $(*&E(WE

That is all I have to say

93. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 1:27 am

MLB network drops the ball
    they should be going live with this and they arent
    nothing on espn yet either

94. ChuckS

December 14, 2010 at 1:28 am

Unreal

95. ChuckS

December 14, 2010 at 1:28 am

Unreal, holy crap

96. Geoff

December 14, 2010 at 1:28 am

Andy Pettitte can hold them hostage now.

97. jeff

December 14, 2010 at 1:29 am

I have to give Jr. props. I have put him down many times. You now have the greatest staff in baseball history. He tried for Werth but Washington overpaid by alot. Lee wants to be here. We all were so depressed when he left. That man is a big time pitcher. We all fell in love with him. Do not worry about right field. Jr. will take care of it. This team is built for now. Now…The Yankees are finished. There pitching is aweful. We have Lee. Lee and Doc is so so so so so so so so sick. Throw in Hamels and Oswalt. I just wet myself. MERRY CHRISTMAS…

98. jeff

December 14, 2010 at 1:30 am

AT Andrew. Espn already broke it during the Farve interview.

99. ChuckS

December 14, 2010 at 1:30 am

I think I may cry

100. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 1:33 am

I think oswalt or Hamels gets moved.
    Just a hunch
    Not saying ig thats the right or wrong thing to do before my bashers come at me.

101. jeff

December 14, 2010 at 1:34 am

No way Andrew. They stole Oswalt. Houston is paying for him. Hamels, well we need that sick lefty on this team with Lee. I just love watching Lee work on the mound. Remember the catch in the world series. sick

102. Geoff

December 14, 2010 at 1:35 am

Hamels wont be moved, he doesnt make much money at all yet. Oswalt isnt moving either. That IS the top 4. Oswalt waived his no trade to come here if we picked up his option. So they would have to eat money to move him. Thats your top 4. Blanton is going to be traded. Maybe Raul. Maybe someone else in the lineup.

103. ChuckS

December 14, 2010 at 1:35 am

If you love something you have to let them go, if they come back you know it was meant to be

104. jeff

December 14, 2010 at 1:38 am

27 championships and $150 mil didnt get you Cliff Lee!!! Eat it NY!!!!

Also for everybody going crazy about the Giants. Yes, there pitching is solid but those hitters will not repeat that again. No way.

Jr. should now work on Zack G. LOL

105. ChuckS

December 14, 2010 at 1:38 am

5 years with an AAV of 20 mil has to be a huge slap in the nuts to New York and Texas

106. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 1:38 am

You could get alot for Hamels though
    Just saying anyway
    Great night regardless.
    Now it really does get interesting with the other moves made now

107. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 1:40 am

I probably wont even have the Giants making the playoffs in my predictions this year.
    I like colorado from out there for sure.

108. Mazinman

December 14, 2010 at 1:41 am

I think the Phillies will be alright if they can just trade Blanton although Ibanez would be a plus.

Philly fans are always shown as being barbarians. Well, we must be some darn lovable barbarians for these players to want to come here for less.

109. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 1:42 am

MLB broke in basicly reporting what weve said here

110. jeff

December 14, 2010 at 1:43 am

This is like Christmas Eve. Jr. was just very quiet at the meetings and BAM.

Steals the prize from the NY Yankees. Just amazing. We are going to have fun watching them pitch.

111. Kate

December 14, 2010 at 1:44 am

R2C2!

SAID.

112. NJ

December 14, 2010 at 1:45 am

Is anyone not absolutely loving our front office right now…?

113. jeff

December 14, 2010 at 1:45 am

Breaking News…..

The Phillies are holding tryouts next month in Clearwater for the 5th spot in the rotation. I think we should all tryout.

114. mike

December 14, 2010 at 1:46 am

phantastic phour?

phour horsemen?

115. pheelin' it

December 14, 2010 at 1:46 am

WHAT IS GOING ON!!!! HAPPY HALLADAYS

116. pheelin' it

December 14, 2010 at 1:47 am

Am I a year late? Wait, we have Roy Oswalt and Lee now? And Roy Halladay? King Cole is reborn? WHAT IS GOING ON!!!

Welcome home Cliff Lee

117. jeff

December 14, 2010 at 1:48 am

Wont it be fun to see who wins the CY Young next season. Doc or Lee.

What a year its going to be. Just put up a few runs. You have to think Jr. already has Blanton traded. He is very smart about this.

118. ChuckS

December 14, 2010 at 1:48 am

Mike I say WFC’s

119. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 1:48 am

Front office won the lottery.
    People want to come to the phillies and people hate playng for Mets and Yankees.
    Tons of pressure on this team. Its win WS or bust for sure this year.

120. jeff

December 14, 2010 at 1:49 am

remember when we said oh my wouldnt it be fun to have lee and doc. well throw in oswalt. wow.

i guess H20 has to be revised.

121. Kate

December 14, 2010 at 1:51 am

Maybe now that pressure is (presumably) off the offense, they’ll f*cking relax and start hitting like they haven’t hit since April of 2009.

This goes a LOOOOONG way to make up for losing Jayson Werth.

(But can we sign Mike Sweeney’s bat, Santa Ruben? Please?)

122. Kate

December 14, 2010 at 1:52 am

My man Jay beat me to it, but it can’t be said enough.

R2C2!

123. jeff

December 14, 2010 at 1:52 am

if our offense just hits a little we should win alot of games. utley will be back big time. howard needs to start hitting bombs again.

124. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 14, 2010 at 1:52 am

YEA BLANTON IS ALL BUT GONE……..

125. mike

December 14, 2010 at 1:53 am

hey ChuckS….i like that better too

126. mike

December 14, 2010 at 1:53 am

wouldnt be AWESOME if ruben traded fatty joe to the yankees hahaha

127. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 14, 2010 at 1:54 am

YEA KATE R2C2 BABY………..I WILL MISS CHEESEBURGER !!!!

128. ChuckS

December 14, 2010 at 1:54 am

Do you think my boss will understand if I don’t show up to work tomorrow?

129. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 1:55 am

I like Joe always tried hard and ate up innings ( pun intended).
    I think hed fit well with an NL west team.

130. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 1:56 am

Do a shot for me ChuckS

131. mike

December 14, 2010 at 1:56 am

i want to be kyle kendrick

132. jeff

December 14, 2010 at 1:56 am

guess the mets are not looking forward to hitting against us.

133. mike

December 14, 2010 at 1:58 am

no. wait. i wanna be chooch.

youre catching the greatest rotation in the history of baseball…

THE.HISTORY.OF.BASEBALL.

134. Jeff of Nova

December 14, 2010 at 2:00 am

not looking like the MLB is going to break in and actually talk about it just running it in the line below

135. Sam

December 14, 2010 at 2:02 am

I’m in shock complete and utter shock, fellas we are one right fielder and a younger bullpen away from a freakin dynasty. I just urinated.

136. Mazinman

December 14, 2010 at 2:03 am

Ruben Amaro has brilliantly decided to avoid the problems in the bullpen by assembling a rotation that might not need to use it… ever.

Do we really need a January? Can’t we just skip it and go straight to February? I want my Spring Training now!

137. Philly Texan

December 14, 2010 at 2:04 am

I’m speechless.

So Blanton gets traded? Or Oswalt? We really can’t afford to lose anyone else from the lineup.

Can’t even really think this through I’m so stunned. Just wow!!!!

138. Kate

December 14, 2010 at 2:09 am

Thank you, Cheeseburger, for your first career homer in the 2008 World Series! I will miss your flair for making things interesting!

Aw… MAN.

For someone who didn’t want to hear a word about Cliff Lee this season (Cy Young Winner, perfect game, playoff no-hitter, 21 wins… that wasn’t Cliff Lee, boys and girls), I am over the moon!

I’d like to personally thank Yankees fans for being pigs and apologize to Mrs. Lee on behalf of decent humans everywhere…

Just when you’re not sure where we’re headed…

WELL PLAYED, RUBEN. Well played.

R2C2 all the way!

139. therookie300

December 14, 2010 at 2:09 am

It’s drinking time!!!

RAJ did have a fourth ace up his sleeve after all….

140. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 2:12 am

@ Kate if we can get someone to take him.
    I guess the Phils may have to eat some of the contract.

141. Kate

December 14, 2010 at 2:22 am

Oh, I’ll be at work tomorrow and I’ll be PARTYING the whole time.

142. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 2:28 am

Devils advocate even with Lee they lose the Giants series last year.

Now heres something to think about if the 2011 Phillies hit like the 2008 phillies we are talking about all time great team.

143. Bebin

December 14, 2010 at 2:32 am

From the mouth of Suzyn Waldman – OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS…. clifton has come back home

144. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 2:32 am

Cant wait to read the headlines in the NY papers
    they were already upset
    We just dropped a bomb on them
    an A bomb for A roid

145. Ted Bell

December 14, 2010 at 2:34 am

Unless I’ve lost track, the end result is:

The Phillies gave up:
    Carlos Carrasco
    Jason Knapp
    Lou Marson
    Jason Donald
    A 2011 first round pick (for signing Lee)

The Phillies added:
    Cliff Lee
    Phillippe Aumont
    Tyson Gillies
    Juan Ramirez

Of course they lost a year of Cliff Lee’s service in between all the wheeling and dealing.

RAJ certainly makes things interesting…

I’m Ted Bell.

146. pheelin' it

December 14, 2010 at 2:37 am

Every single time someone brought up Lee can now be forgotten. At the end of the day Ruben did this…

Lost-

Gained-
    Ben Francisco
    Cliff Lee
    Roy Halladay
    Roy Oswalt
    The crappy 3 prospects

I don’t know why we let him go really still, but he’s back FOREVER.

UnbeLEEvable

147. pheelin' it

December 14, 2010 at 2:38 am

I went all out sorry Ted Bell

148. Andrew from waldorf

December 14, 2010 at 2:39 am

For reference of who to compare this rotation too
    here you go

149. Ted Bell

December 14, 2010 at 2:40 am

I guess it could also be argued that if RAJ simply kept Lee last year, he wouldn’t have had the pressing need to trade for Oswalt, and would still have J.A. Happ, Anthony Gose, and Jonathan Villar.

I’m Ted Bell.

150. pheelin' it

December 14, 2010 at 2:40 am

I HATE that line andrew, an a bomb from a roid. I feel as cocky as the Yankees.

Does this not make us the Yankees of the NL? No wonder they run their mouths so much it feels great!

151. Ted Bell

December 14, 2010 at 2:41 am

I forgot all about Ben!

I’m Ted Bell.

152. betasigmashag

December 14, 2010 at 2:41 am

Please do not get me wrong here, I love this and just thinking that you could have Cole Hamels as your Number 4 starter if you and if they do not trade Blanton how good a numbber five starter is out there. I love the fact that Cliff is taking 50 million less to come to Philly. Wonder what Jayson Wreth is thinking about now he could have taken a few years less and made left the same amount of money on the table and then played with the best team in the NL.
    But I do worry a little about the offense if Chase, JRoll, Vic and Raul have a down year again. I have said I think Ben Fran should get his shot and I think he will do well, with this how much can you move or pay if you need a bat at the trade dead line
    ,The one deference between this and Crawford is years, if he would have taken five years and millions less maybe they would have done that. It is amazing how Andrew has changes his tune since eleven pm and I dont always agree with Dipsy, but he knows his stuff and is logical, not that I agree with some of his logic but he has numbers and options that make sense and you my little friend Andrew are a poser

153. Kate

December 14, 2010 at 2:42 am

Oswalt trumps those three.

I’m drinking a beer.

At 1:40AM on a Tuesday morning.

To celebrate the return of Cliff Lee.

I’ll admit, I was expecting this to happen at some point during the 2010 season.

154. jonnyboy

December 14, 2010 at 2:52 am

all we can say is– wow! where in the world did this come from? can you imagine the feelings that atlanta, washington, florida, or the mets are feeling?? we are gonna OWN their sorry butts. and i personally think we can get a pretty good bat with blanton….in fact, blantons trade value went up with lee’s signing. amaro prob has a trade already lined up

155. betasigmashag

December 14, 2010 at 3:42 am

I think I am just going to sleep until May 29 then wake up and drive down to PA for opening day, Friday opening day Doc, I may have to get tickets for Saturday for Lee, ;and then my Sunday season ticket Hamels or Oswalt. What a great weekend to start the new year
    Big Daddy on WIP is ripping Wreth for just taking the money, it obviously shows which one wants to win more it is great. And I love R2C2. I have been saying you have to have a little faith in RAJ and that he would do something big before Chirstmas, and someone was just saying that it is one year ago today that we got Doc not sure if that is true or not. I love the internet live in Vermont listening to wip reading a phillies blog and tivoing all the baseball show so I can watch them talk about Cliff when ever I want. Merry CLIFFmas every one what a great HALLADAY

156. betasigmashag

December 14, 2010 at 3:45 am

mlb network is saying 5 years 115 million with vested sixty year option

157. rob5000

December 14, 2010 at 4:00 am

The Phantastic Phour

158. Brooks

December 14, 2010 at 7:53 am

Whaaat????
    I went to bed early – I logged onto my email and Facebook entries were calling this in multiple – holy crap!

Health, pray for good Health!

159. Dave

December 14, 2010 at 9:46 am

The Grinch just snuck into Whoville and stole the roast beast!

160. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

December 14, 2010 at 11:39 am

BY THE WAY LEFTY,YOU OWE ME A BIG WOOOHOOO!!!

December 14, 2010 at 11:44 am

Question: What would this mean for an eventual playoff short series? Not pitching one of the Phour Lokos is a luxury…

162. robbie e

December 14, 2010 at 11:49 am

In the short series, the 2008 WS MVP, Cole Hamels, is the odd man out. Wow.

163. The Original Chuck P

December 14, 2010 at 11:54 am

“The Grinch just snuck into Whoville and stole the roast beast!”

Word… just had me laughing hysterically.

This is just truly remarkable. A deal like this helps you focus on being a fan- forget about the money, forget about the holes in our lineup or whatever- we got THE most coveted free agent on the market and we have the best rotation in either league without question. I don’t know how it’s going to work but frankly, I don’t care. Rube figured out a way to get it done and today is a day will go down in history as the day that Cliff Lee and the Philadelphia Phaithful shoved our fists up the arse of entire city of NY… it ain’t about money, it’s about the city of brotherly love and the city of passion. Red Pinstripes > Blue Pinstripes

164. Chuck

December 14, 2010 at 12:01 pm

What a surprise that those d-bags on WIP are ripping Werth. Why?? What purpose does it serve??

Like I said earlier, Jayson’s situation and Cliff’s are completely different. Werth was offered 48M from the Phils ….a 78M difference from the Nats offer. Lee took less to come back here….but he STILL MAKES 120M.

I have no problem with Jayson Werth and his taking the money. Completely different situation.

165. Don M

December 14, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Last night I bought a Christmas tree . . . hours later, Ruben puts Cliff Lee underneath it!!!

Where are all those “RUIN TOMORROW JR.” clowns now??

Jayson Werth would’ve taken this deal over the Nats offer too, i guarantee it.. but the Nationals offer was more than DOUBLE what we threw out

December 14, 2010 at 12:23 pm

So basically the deal is:

21.5 million per year, for 5 years
    –with a–
    27.5 million option for the 6th year (if it vests)

That’s not too bad. Halladay took the bigger paycut though. But this one feels cooler because, as the Original Chuck P said, today “Cliff Lee and the Philadelphia Phaithful shoved our fists up the arse of entire city of NY… it ain’t about money, it’s about the city of brotherly love and the city of passion.”

167. Dave

December 14, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Halladay, Lee, Oswalt and Hamels….The Four Horsemen!

December 14, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Minimum of $120 (5 years)
    Maximum of $135 (6 years)

169. Chuck

December 14, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Right. 48M and 126M. All you Werth haters…do the math. The Phillies offer to Werth…A GOOD ONE…was 38% of the Nats offer. 38 PERCENT!!!

December 14, 2010 at 12:46 pm

“Incidentally, Amaro’s all-in play for Lee would suggest he has some inside information on something about which the rest of us are still only speculating: that MLB will gradually cut through the red tape to expanding the Division Series format from five to seven games.”

>>I certainly hope so!

171. Dr. Dave

December 14, 2010 at 1:00 pm

WOW! Christmas comes early!

Trading Hamels would be a huge mistake. No other team in baseball matches our top 4.

Just learned about the signing. I think Ruben realized he made a mistake in trading Lee. A great signing!

Trade Ibanez and Blanton and I’ll be even more excited!

172. The Original Chuck P

December 14, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Don’t listen to WIP- it’s not worth the aggravation.

Lee’s going to make a bucket of money and that’s fine… to me, this is as much about the statement behind the deal as it is about us getting Cliff Lee; we are not going to lay down just because the Yankees have their checkbooks open. It’s further validation to the rest of the league that players actually like it here- it’s not the terrible place that the national media portrays every time JD Drew comes to town.

He did take a pay cut… not as much of a pay cut as Halladay but it’s a pay cut, none the less.

Halladay, Lee, Oswalt and Hamels… holy crap.

173. Phan in the outfield

December 14, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Why are people ripping Werth? He doesn’t deserve it & he didn’t deserve to be treated this way by the owners either. The Nats offered Werth years & the Phillies didn’t, which amounts to more $$. Werth would’ve taken this. From Werth’s point of view this Lee deal has to make him feel bad. He invested more time & effort into the city & the team than Lee has. And Werth made it clear he wanted to stay. Call it “business” but it was crappy of the owners who have the money & Amaro wasn’t straight w/Werth.

And don’t say the players know it’s business, they’re beyond the emotion, blah blah. That doesn’t hold water, it never did (unless you’re a Yankee). Lee was upset at being traded. He never shut up about it. And the guy was only on this team for 2 mos. Werth was/is upset & he should’ve been, anyone would’ve been in his place.

Anyway, re: Lee – It was dragging on so long I’d stopped caring. MLB interviewed Amaro at the winter mtgs last wk, they asked if he had something up his sleeve & he just looked too smug.

Can’t help wondering who else besides Blanton they’re going to have to trade to free up funds they pretend they so desperately to need. And I can’t help but think as Lefty said many posts before that we still need a good right-handed bat & a leadoff hitter. I mean we’re still a team, not just a list of amazing pitchers.

174. Don M

December 14, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Phillies no longer need to score 5-6 runs to win . . . since Brett Myers isn’t our ACE anymore . . .

If we trade Ibanez, we just open another hole in the OF. I think Francisco in RF is good .. and with the prospects we’ve got if we need to add a RH bat at the deadline, we will

175. The Original Chuck P

December 14, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Oddly, the loser in all of this might be Roy Halladay. How much could he have made in his free agent year? His extension was a modest 3 year $20 million deal (with a fourth year option that becomes guaranteed if he hits certain innings pitched milestones). Cliff Lee at 5 years and $120 million is almost double what he’s making in terms of total money. Of course, Roy Halladay has earned far more than Lee over the course of his career so money was less of a concern for Halladay but I don’t think that it’s out of the realm of possibility that Halladay could have gotten 5 years and $25-30 million (had he waited for free agency).

HOWEVER… Halladay has added a shiny Cy Young award, a perfect game and a postseason no-hitter on his resume (as a Phillie) that he might not have had if he went elsewhere so I’m certain that he’s ok with it.

176. The Original Chuck P

December 14, 2010 at 1:29 pm

The age old adage says that pitching wins championships; that was certainly validated this year. We have enough bats to score a few runs- potential all-stars at 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, CF, LF and C (and a budding young star in the making in RF)… yeah, I’d say our lineup is going to be ok. Health is critical and rest is important but you can only afford to rest guys if you have the supporting cast… or if you have otherworldly pitching.

177. Ted Bell

December 14, 2010 at 1:33 pm

The Phillies struggled to score three runs (or less) in almost 50% of their games last season. That’s a dangerous way to play, even with a great starting staff. RAJ is counting on players living up to their past performances and/or having less injuries in 2011. I guess that’s possible, but as players age they tend to get hurt more and decline in production. The loss of Werth is a huge hole to fill – Brown & Ibanez are far from being known quantities. I still think they need an outfielder – preferably righthanded.

I’m Ted Bell.

178. Jeff

December 14, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Werth is only werth 3 years for 45 to 50 million. Yes the guy had a couple good seasons with us. Lets not get crazy here. He is not an elite player in baseball. A nice player. They guy struck out alot in big spots and did nothing with runners in scoring postion. He also made bone head plays like getting picked off at second by the catcher. Screaming at the fans because they reached for the ball. Some bad plays in the outfield. Tired of looking at the caveman. Swinging from his knee. I did like Werth. I would rather have Lee for the money.

179. Don M

December 14, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Werth didn’t scream at a fan that REACHED for a ball . . . . he screamed at a fan that was trying to catch a ball that would have otherwise landed on his head, or his son’s head… so he stuck his hands up to try to catch it

Its a lot easier to win a World Series with a mediocore OF than with mediocore pitching

180. Jeff

December 14, 2010 at 1:46 pm

He did scream at a fan. That is a no no…Lee is no mediocore pitcher. He is a top 10. He was lights out for us when he was here. Go watch the Mets.

December 14, 2010 at 1:49 pm

OCP- Hopefully Doc will look at the situation and understand that Cliff Lee has basically spent his entire career underpaid. This just makes up for it, I think he’ll be okay.

December 14, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Message to Philly Boy (still haven’t got used to calling you by your new name) –
    I always pay my debts.
    And for the first time, in honor of you, all uppercase.

I WAS DEAD WRONG, YOU WERE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT-
    AND I COULDN”T BE HAPPIER ABOUT IT.

WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    HHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 14, 2010 at 1:57 pm

So if noone form R2C2 is traded, or injured- no more conversations about if/who might have to pitch on short rest in the post season!

184. Chuck

December 14, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Are we seriously gonna come up with excuses now to rip Jayson Werth?? Jesus C—–!! C’mon, PN have some sense….and some class..

185. ActuallyChilled

December 14, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Abstract: We have performed molecular dynamics calculations on CI(-)(H2O)n (n=2,3,…9) pitching clusters. The calculations show that the H20 molecule is killing it in these clusters, while CI(-) remains attached to the city of Philadelphia within the clusters, producing nasty pitching yielding legendary results. We also obtained the maximum energy structures for the CI(-)(H2O)n (n=6,7,8) clusters and found this produces sick winning cycles. From the comparison of these structures with the dynamical structures of the remaining league staffs we conclude that the solvation of CL(-) into Phi-matter is due to the brotherly love effect.

December 14, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Maybe I can make up for my untoward comment last night, by seconding Chuck. Celebrate today guys, leave Jayson out of it.

187. Phan in the outfield

December 14, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Ted: I agree. Their propensity for NOT scoring last season was scary. It’s obvious people are deliberately not looking at that hole left by Werth.

Jeff: Obviously we disagree. And nobody’s getting crazy. Werth’s ’10 RISP numbers were an anomaly. He wasn’t the only one not hitting in the slump. His K’s aren’t a revelation. Howard has a lot too. So do all the big hitters. He also wasn’t the only one who got picked off at 2nd. Victorino & Brown (2x). Werth also more than made up for any slump from Apr thru early June & Aug thru the playoffs. Without those hitting tears — I’d hate to think where the Phillies might’ve been last season.

Don M: I’m with ya 100% on that green-shirted dad catching the foul ball. People remember back to that game: it was a VERY tense period for the Phillies. That game, that inning, that out specifically was important. Werth & all the fans felt it – they boo’d the dad when he caught the ball. The Phils had been losing for a while. Werth has two kids of his own. He didn’t see the boy when he spoke, prob didn’t know about him until well afterwards. It was a fenderbender in the scheme of life. For the love of Pete – get over it. Sheesh.

December 14, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Fantastic post AC! Perfect

December 14, 2010 at 2:19 pm

@Jeff- Don M did not imply that Lee was a mediocre pitcher. Read it again.

190. Jeff

December 14, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Thanks Lefty. I misread. I am not unhappy Werth is gone. I think Werth is a good ballplayer. We will do fine without him. He will get lost in Washington. Lee is is one of my favs. I love this guy. His work ethic. Team player. He fits in with this group. I love pitching. I will love watching these 4.

191. The Original Chuck P

December 14, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Ted/Phan – I would be lying if I said that the lack of run scoring didn’t bother me but I think that there are a lot of other variables that played into that… across the board, run scoring was down last year. It was the year of the pitcher and it’s safe to say that we might be heading into a pitcher driven era. Also, injuries decimated our starting lineup and we never really had a chance to watch that lineup gel. Health is important but the age old adage still holds true- pitching wins championships.

December 14, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Exactly right OCP- And as bad as it looked, we were still second in runs scored in the NL last year.

193. Pingback: “Cliff Lee, Phillies Agree To Five-Year Contract As Yankees, Rangers Turn Elsewhere” and related posts