Phillies, Francisco Agree to Deal, Avoid Arbitration

The Phillies and outfielder Ben Francisco have agreed to a $1.175 million contract for the 2011 season, avoiding an arbitration hearing in the process.

Francisco hit .268/.327/.441 in 197 PA in 2010, and has a .272/.323/.471 line in 301 Philly PA since coming over with Cliff Lee from the Indians in July 2009. He is arbitration-eligible for the first time in 2011, and his signing leaves Kyle Kendrick as the lone unsigned arb-eligible player. Francisco figures to see a bump in playing time this season, being a right-handed complement to both Raul Ibanez and top prospect Domonic Brown in left and right field, respectively.

Click to comment

1. derekcarstairs

January 16, 2011 at 9:22 am

The first seven comments for this post are adverts.

That junks up the website, don’t you think?

2. betasigmadeltashag

January 16, 2011 at 9:51 am

they are spam not ads that PhilliesNation allows, but it does suck.
    Onto Ben, I really like this deal pretty cheap one year to show what he can do as a full time player in the Majors, and if he can put up .270/.330/.450 with decent RF defense you would not take that from that position, I would add around 18-20 HR and 80 RBI that is worth 2 million a year. I think you will see him start the first ten games at least before being platooned with anybody. I can not wait and see what he can do if he plays 140-150 games this year

January 16, 2011 at 10:30 am

Who knows? Ben Fran could be a real pleasant surprise this year, and the price is probably close to what he would have got in arbitration anyway.

Also –
    DO NOT FLAG THE SPAM, I’m pretty sure it gave me a virus.

Just let it be until PN can clean it up.

4. derekcarstairs

January 16, 2011 at 11:25 am

Having four aces at the top of the rotation not only gives the Phillies one of the great rotations ever, but also reduces the significance of the back of the Phils’ bullpen and eliminates the need to make a major move in the outfield.

This, in turn, gives the Phils opportunities to give some of their prospects a shot at the bullpen and take some risks with Bastardo, De Fratus, Mathieson, Schwimer, etc. beginning in 2011. We can start developing a young bullpen.

Similarly, having such solid starting pitching enables the team to sacrifice some offense, if necessary, and to inject some youth into the starting lineup while remaining the best team in the NL. Before, the Phils signed Lee, I wanted them to replace Werth’s bat with somebody like Ordonez. After the Lee signing, I became satisfied with internal solutions to the RF problem.

My hope is that the Phils give Domonic Brown every opportunity to become its regular RF. The Phils can afford to take a chance with Brown. Even if he’s bad in 2011, Brown’s long-term outlook is good, and the Phils will still have the NL’s best record. The team’s desire for the OF should be to start Brown in RF beginning this year and to start Singleton in LF beginning in 2013 or 2014. These are the kind of moves necessary to make the transition from a mature team to a young team.

Francisco right now is simply a transitional player. He should get more at bats in 2011 and could get a better chance to prove himself. If Ben does well in 2011, he might earn a shot at the starting LF job in 2012. If so, I only would expect him to hold down the job for a year or two.

I wish him well.

5. Chuck

January 16, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I like this deal A LOT. I’ve said it before….more playing time will translate into more production for him. This isn’t that “sexy” signing that grabs ahold of people but it’s a very good solid …and wise….move. Besides, the “sexy” move was signing Cliff, right??

6. Paul Boye

January 16, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I’m not sure why flagging the posts would give you a virus, I would investigate other causes.

And we’re trying to stay on top of the trackbacks as best we can. Thanks for pardoning our dust.

7. Brian Michael

January 16, 2011 at 6:38 pm

The spam controls have been reinforced. Sorry for the troubles.

8. tavian

January 16, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I read the incentives in Ben’s contract. He gets money for 400 at bats, 450 at bats, 500 at bats. that is realistic.

He gets incentive money for being the league MVP,(Not realistic) making the all star team, being the LCS MVP, being the World Series MVP……. COME ON !!!!! Let’s be realistic !!!! LOL !!!

He should get bonus money for hitting 20 homers, 25 homers, 30 homers, batting .285, 295, 300,
    winning a gold glove, These are more realistic.

If Francisco wins the NL MVP I will eat five live roaches. Let’s make these incentives realistic and achievable. Give the guy someting to aim for and not the moon.

9. tavian

January 16, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I predict that Ben Francisco has better offensive numbers than Jayson Werth at the end of the year……. especially in batting average and homers. Call me nuts. You might be right.

• Ted Bell

January 17, 2011 at 7:36 am

Tavian – I hate to say it, but you’re nuts.

I’m Ted Bell.

• Chuck

January 17, 2011 at 1:30 pm

That’s like saying that Joe Blanton will be more effective than Roy Halladay.

• Lefty

January 17, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I really hope you are right, Tavian. Now that would be sweet!

And if the impossible happens, I’m definitely going to hold you to the five live roaches. 🙂

10. betasigmadeltashag

January 16, 2011 at 10:16 pm

tavian I am a big Ben supporter, but that is going a little far even for me, and as far as incentives go those are basic incentives in a lot of players contracts that do not have a shot at making them. Playoff MVP on the other hand are realistic because a few times the unsung guy ;has a great week or two, gets one or two clutch hits and wins it. Look at Renteria, just last year, there have been a lot of non stars that win playoff MVP’s sometimes just by being in the right place at the right time

11. The Original Chuck P

January 17, 2011 at 11:15 am

I don’t think that Benny will put up those kind of numbers… unless something happens, he won’t get the AB’s to put up “Jayson Werth” numbers. Werth will probably have a down year – a bigger ballpark, greater expectations to be the man and live up to his contract, a team that struggles to win games… all the signs point to a tough year but Benny is going to split time and it’s hard to get in a groove or put up cumulative numbers when you’re not playing every day.

If it’s a platoon, Dom is going to get more starts than Benny… there are more RHP than there are LHP.

12. Don M

January 17, 2011 at 3:14 pm

This was posted earlier : ….”and if he can put up .270/.330/.450 with decent RF defense you would not take that from that position, I would add around 18-20 HR and 80 RBI that is worth 2 million a year.”

Not only is that worth $2 Million a year… it’s worth close to $10 Million a year… and is pretty close to the numbers that I predicted for him a while ago, when we were debating whether to go after Matt Diaz, etc.. Saying that WITH REGULAR PLAYING time, what would be so surprising about seeing Ben Francisco reach Career Highs in all offensive categories. . one of the things people are forgetting is his Steals too… while I don’t think he’ll have 20.. I DO think that if he gets regular at-bats, he’ll become more aggressive on the base paths (just from being there more often and growing more comfortable) – which should lead him to getting a little more aggressive on the bases too. Im not worried about his Predicted RBI #s yet, because we have no idea where he’ll bat, though im assuming 7th , between Ibanez and Ruiz .. In which case 80 RBIs would be a sh!t ton

And, assuming the Odds on this bet are amazing.. I’ll take the Francisco side of who has a better year between him and Jayson Werth … its gotta be at least 15-1 Odds.. and there is always a chance J-Dub gets hurt this year! For a 15-1 return, you’d be a fool to take the favorite

• Chuck

January 17, 2011 at 4:38 pm

The key words here are “regular playing time”…..