Acquisitions

Phillies Officially Re-sign J.C. Romero

In a press release from the Phillies today:

Left-handed relief pitcher J.C. Romero has signed a one-year, $1.35 million contract with the Phillies, Senior Vice President & General Manager Ruben Amaro Jr. announced today.  The contract includes performance bonuses.

Romero, 34, went 1-0 with three saves and a 3.68 ERA in 60 appearances for the Phillies last season.  He held left-handed hitters to a .217 average, allowing three extra-base hits in 83 at-bats for a .277 slugging percentage.

After signing with the Phillies in June of 2007, Romero has posted a 2.60 ERA in 213 appearances with the club and has held opposing hitters to a .192 batting average.  Left-handed hitters have been limited to a .166 average during his time with the Phillies, with only four home runs allowed in 247 at-bats.  In 13 postseason games with the Phillies, Romero is 2-1 with a 0.87 ERA and .147 opponents’ batting average.

Over the past four years (2007-10), Romero has totaled the second-most appearances among all Phillies pitchers (213), trailing only Ryan Madson (248).  Since his first full major league season in 2002, Romero has the second-most appearances (597) among all major league relief pitchers, nine fewer than Francisco Cordero (606).

For his career, Romero is 33-28 with seven saves and a 4.08 ERA in 628 appearances (22 starts) for the Minnesota Twins (1999-2005), Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (2006), Boston Red Sox (2007) and Phillies (2007-10).

The Phillies will make a roster move at a later date to make room for Romero on the 40-man roster.

Click to comment

1. betasigmadeltashag

January 6, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I like this signing it is cheap enough and if he can find his control could again be a key to the bull pen, and I like the combo of JC and Bastardo from the left side out of the pen.

2. Captain Chaos

January 6, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Same here. I think the key for JC has always been that he needs steady work though. He’ll need to be the primary lefty. When he had his best year in 2008 he wasn’t just coming in to face lefties he handled alot of the 8th innings before Madson solidified his job as the set up guy. It seems like the more work he gets the less wild he is.

3. bfo_33

January 7, 2011 at 8:05 am

Much better than signing Reyes,…. for $5M +. Their talking to Durbin also, not sure who that leaves off the roster if that goes through. Right now, it looks like Baez, Bastardo, Contreras, Herndon, Madson, Lidge, Romero. Assuming Herndon takes the hit if Durbin comes back.

• Captain Chaos

January 7, 2011 at 8:11 am

From what I’ve heard the Phils are going to be starting Herndon at the minor league level trying to stretch him out into a starter. Makes sense given how good his sinker is. He might end up as our 5th starter in a few years or better depending. Personally i’ll be expecting the second coming of Kyle Kendrick so i’m gonna keep my expectations low.

• Ted Bell

January 7, 2011 at 8:52 am

According to RAJ’s comments yesterday (to Randy Miller), the chances of getting something worked out with Durbin are slim:

Ruben Amaro, Jr., on Chad Durbin: “We’ve had discussions with him but I’m not sure if we’re going to be able to get to the finish line. ”

Amaro: :I would say that I’m probably in a position now to go ahead with the people that we have ,,, and let some people battle it out.”

Amaro on Phils bench: “John Mayberry, Francisco, Ross Gload, Robb Quinlan, Delwyn Young, all those guys that will be in the mix.”

Amaro when asked about Blanton: “I’m pretty comfortable with the club that we have right now. I like our club. ”

More Amaro .. “If there are things that we can do to improve it or ways to give us some flexibility, we’ll have to see if we can do it.”

Amaro when asked if he has to dump salary: Salary dump? :I don’t have to do anything … just watch ‘em play and hope that they stay healthy.”

More Amaro: “Blanton is part of our rotation and the guys that you see on our roster right now are part of our club.”

From talking to Amaro, my feeling was he’s close to giving up on signing Durbin and has no takers now for Blanton, who could be moved in ST

Amaro on Young: “In a lot of ways, he’s not a whole lot different from what Dobbs was a few years ago.

I’m Ted Bell.

• bfo_33

January 7, 2011 at 9:23 am

First, my error on “their” vs they’re. The commute in the snow must have gotten to me.

I really believe Blanton is going to be a critical part of the success of the team this year (not the MVP, but important nonetheless). In this recent run (2005-2010), the Phils have never had more than 3 starters finish with 30 or more starts, and that was only completed in 10 and 08. 09 and 07, only 2, 06 only 1. Chances are, R2C2 are not all going to make 30 starts each, at least one will have to sit a few starts out, maybe hit the dl (both Oswalt and Lee have some back issues). With the exception of last year, Blanton has been a rock, and I would hope the acquisition of Lee, and all the talk of R2C2 has provided a little extra motivation to get in shape. With a good start, he’ll be either a trading piece at the deadline, or insurance if one of the big 4 go down. If nothing else, he is the best 5th starter in baseball (better than many team’s # 3). If he stays with the team the whole year, and is mostly matched up against bottom of the rotation guys, he’s got a shot to win 15+ games. When do pitchers and catcher report again? The season can’t start soon enough.

• Captain Chaos

January 7, 2011 at 10:06 am

I’d like to see them able to move Blanton to free up some room on the salary for midseason moves, but the more I think about it the less necessary those moves should be especially if we still have Blanton as our #5. Not to mention that our farm system isn’t bristling with talent at the upper levels so trade deadline moves might be hard to swing anyway.

Still like Durbin and hope his asking price comes down, but Kendrick should be able to serve as a long reliever if Blanton remains with the team.

• Lefty

January 7, 2011 at 12:43 pm

So if Blanton is the fifth starter, we’re entering arbitration with Kendrick who will be judged on his starter stats even though realistically he’d be a long reliever. He’s a Super 2 set to be awarded somewhere in the 2M range. Oh man, do we really want to pay him that for long relief? Since it’s binding, I guess there’s no way out.

No wonder we can’t “get to the finish line” with Durbin.

4. Chuck

January 7, 2011 at 10:03 am

Good point, bfo, about Lee’s back issues. People tend to forget about that. Yeah, the chances of ALL FOUR starters of R2C2 making 30+ starts is something to keep in mind. It would be great for that to happen, but injuries are part of the game. Whoever is the 5th starter is going to play a key role in that rotation.

——- ——– ——-

As for Romero, good enough signing, I guess. Certainly better than Reyes would have been.

January 7, 2011 at 12:57 pm

@bfo- We almost had four 30 game starters last year. Blanton had 27, and Jamie had 19, even as early in the season as he got hurt. I think Kyle Cole and Doc had 30.

BTW- Interesting fact- Baltimore’s 1971 four twenty game winners pitched 30,37,37, and 38. Health goes a long way toward acheiving results.

• Chuck

January 7, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I wonder if we’ll ever see four 20-game winners again? That’s one of those rare feats.

• Lefty

January 7, 2011 at 1:17 pm

True, and that left only 20 starts for the other pitchers which were mostly used for doubleheaders and such. Not certain of this but I think they had at least 6 or 8 scheduled doubleheaders back then, plus make up games. They must have pitched three days rest.

6. Folk 12

January 7, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I like the deal for 1.1 million, I really didn’t like his poor pitching in 2010.

I’d much rather see some of the younger guys get a chance to throw. Bastardo and Zagurski are two young lefties with some pop. We have good SP and great back end, why not give a young guy or two a chance to make some waves.

Don’t get me wrong JC is proven in past but with the Offense and the SP…just a thought to go in house and start grooming some RP’ing again like they did with Madson.

7. bfo_33

January 7, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Never say never, but 2008 was the last season with for 20 game winners in the AL and NL combined, 2004 the last time one league (AL) had 4 20 game winners, 2002, the last time a team had 2 (diamondbacks with Schill and Johnson). 2009 and 2007 had no 20 game winners. Pitch counts, bull pen specialists, smaller parks,….., make it tough. The Phils have the best chance to pull it off in either league in 2011, but even getting 2 is a long shot.

I would pen in Doc and Hamels for 32+ starts, think Lee and Oswalt will get to the mid to upper 20s. I could live with Worley or Kendrick as the 5th starter, but having Blanton means allowing R2C2 to skip a start after a long outing, feeling tight,…. Wait for someone to blow you away to deal Blanton (full salary, a plus prospect, ideally left side of the infield) vs a salary dump. It’s a gamble if he isn’t healthy, but if he is, Big Joe’s value will only go up.