Taking a page from MLBTradeRumors.com, let’s take a poll of the most surprising offseason signings. Of the six players who inked deals with news teams, which one was the most shocking to you? You’ll likely say the Phillies grabbing Cliff Lee, but each of these players has their own notable storyline.
Jayson Werth got a lot more money than anyone believed, while Carl Crawford got even more than that. Lance Berkman parlayed a terrible year with Houston and the Yankees into $8 million. Rafael Soriano got $35 million to be Mariano Rivera’s backup. Adrian Beltre turned heads with a huge deal himself after turning down an option year with the Red Sox.
Which of these signings/contracts blew you away? VOTE!
- Cliff Lee, Phillies, five years and $120MM:
- Jayson Werth, Nationals, seven years and $126MM:
- Carl Crawford, Red Sox, seven years and $142MM:
- Adrian Beltre, Rangers, five years and $80MM:
- Rafael Soriano, Yankees, three years and $35MM:
- Lance Berkman, Cardinals, one year and $8MM:
(Photo: Getty Images)