Analysis

Poll: Most Surprising Free Agent Signing

Taking a page from MLBTradeRumors.com, let’s take a poll of the most surprising offseason signings. Of the six players who inked deals with news teams, which one was the most shocking to you? You’ll likely say the Phillies grabbing Cliff Lee, but each of these players has their own notable storyline.

Jayson Werth got a lot more money than anyone believed, while Carl Crawford got even more than that. Lance Berkman parlayed a terrible year with Houston and the Yankees into $8 million. Rafael Soriano got $35 million to be Mariano Rivera’s backup. Adrian Beltre turned heads with a huge deal himself after turning down an option year with the Red Sox.

Which of these signings/contracts blew you away? VOTE!

• Cliff Lee, Phillies, five years and $120MM:
  • Jayson Werth, Nationals, seven years and $126MM:
  • Carl Crawford, Red Sox, seven years and $142MM:
  • Adrian Beltre, Rangers, five years and $80MM:
  • Rafael Soriano, Yankees, three years and $35MM:
  • Lance Berkman, Cardinals, one year and $8MM:
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

(Photo: Getty Images)

Click to comment

1. Brad54

January 25, 2011 at 3:07 pm

In the back of my head, I always knew the Phillies would think about signing Cliff Lee. I thought they could have signed Werth too, but who the HELL had ANY idea that the NATIONALS would sign Werth? And for the years? And the money? This one is not even close – its Werth.

No one expected him to get 7 years – wasn’t 4-5 the max that many people were saying?
    No one expected him to get that kind of money
    No one expected him to sign with the Nationals of all teams (I was expected Red Sox, he would be legendary with that Green Monster).

Cliff Lee will win the poll because he signed with Philadelphia, but I think that if this was a nationwide poll, Werth would get the majority of the votes.

2. Gaze_NJ

January 25, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Most surprising in terms of getting it done was the Phillies deal for Lee, but most surprising in terms of being overpayed and unnecessary is the Rafael Soriano deal to me. He’s a closer getting closer money to be a setup man on a team that has the best closer in the game. Doesn’t make much sense to pay that much money for 2 outs every 3rd day.

3. Jay Floyd

January 25, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I had to vote Cliff Lee. All along I thought the Phils would make an offer, just to say they did. I never suspected they would bring him back to Philadelphia.

Werth to Wash. was definitely a big one too, but Lee was just stunning.

January 25, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I agree.. Cliff Lee.

Um, “the mystery team”??? That was just crazy. A true shock to the baseball world magnified by the fact that Lee left several [guaranteed] million on the table (sorry, Yanks) to play with us. Nobody saw it coming and the whole back-story re: Cliff and the Phillies just adds more “wow” factor to the deal.

Werth to the Nats was huge, too… especially because it was the freaking NATS! I’d say that one gets second place.

5. Chuck

January 25, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I voted Werth. While Cliff’s signing came out of left field….that Werth deal came out of another state! SEVEN YEARS??!! The NATIONALS??!!

6. tyROBasaurus

January 25, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I was certainly surprised that Werth signed that monster deal with the Nats, but *nobody* saw the Phils Cliff Lee deal coming, and it is possibly the most surprising signing in Phillies history. Normally you’ll hear some rumors or grumbling, but this just kinda happened out of nowhere.

7. phillygirl17

January 25, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I voted for Werth. What in the world?

As much as I love the Cliff Lee signing, and I really do, the Werth signing was insane. Mainly the years and the amount, with the NATINALS!! Simply crazy.

January 25, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Cliff Lee coming back to the Phils caught me completely by surprise. When I heard there was a mystery team, I gave it a brief thought, and quickly dismissed it due to all the things RAJ said when he traded Lee the previous year. I bought all the reasons he gave- hook, line, and sinker. I argued on this and several other sites that it wouldn’t happen. I’ve never been happier to be wrong.

The deal signed by Jason Werth and the team he went to did not surprise me. Scott Boras might as well have a corner office at Nationals Park or wherever their HQ is. He worked with them on Strasburg and Bryce Harper. Either the Nats felt like they owed Boras for that, or he just has them in his back pocket. It’s seems like a stupid deal, but I wish Jason the best.

9. Dan

April 5, 2011 at 8:22 am

I have to say Cliff Lee coming back to the Phils. I’ve always hoped that he would come back to Philly, but started to doubt it. All I remember is hearing about the Yankees and Rangers, and my hopes that he would come back were shot. Until out of the blue I heard that he was coming back over Sports Center. It was so surreal. But now we have an amazing rotation and can’t wait to see how they will do throughout the season!