Poll

Poll of the Day: Charlie Manuel's Contract

Should Aaron Nola be demoted?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Click to comment

1. The Original Chuck P

January 13, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I voted no… and not because I don’t love Charlie. The fact is, you don’t have to extend him now- does anyone see him leaving? It’s not like he’s a young star manager in the making and I think that he would be crazy to leave. I absolutely love the guy and he’s been great for this team but this team is starting to look very different and Charlie needs to prove that he can grow with this team. We’re no longer going to be relying on our bats… we can win a lot of games by a score of 1-0 (or 2-0). I’m not a fan of his in-game management… he’s done a good job of keeping the clubhouse together and that’s worth the extension when the time comes but give him some extra incentive to get it done this year.

• betasigmadeltashag

January 13, 2011 at 4:39 pm

It is called loyalty Chuck P, You do not leave Charlie out to dry just because he is not going to be chasing another team. If he wants two years you give it to him. and if the rumors are true that he wants 4 mil a year, you do not like what he is doing in two years you fire him. But until this teams stops being a contender you let the old man coach and go out on his terms

2. Gaze_NJ

January 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm

So long as the place continues selling out and the team is making playoff pushes every year, I think Charlie will keep the job as long as he wants. That said, at Charlie’s age, does he have more than 2-3 more years left? Does he want to coach in his 70s?

3. Don M

January 13, 2011 at 3:02 pm

If Charlie wants two years… he should get two years. I think i read he was asking $4 M a season for the next two years . . . give him that, he’s earned it

4. drjimmy

January 13, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Good points by Chuck & Gaze…I love the way the players play for Charlie and how they buy into what he’s selling…However, he tends to be weak as an in game manager and now he may have to make more crucial decisions than in the past, with a bit less offense and some platoon situations to manage. He’s happy here and not leaving, so give him 2 years and see how he does.

5. dll214765

January 13, 2011 at 3:13 pm

why mess with what works? its up to the whole team to work with the master at his craft. go phillies–love this team.

January 13, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I voted for 2-3 years, because the team has been winning non-stop with him on board… CBP sells out every day and this is, arguably, the best Phillies team ever. You gotta keep him.

However, the game is changing: it’s becoming more pitching-oriented (Amaro seems to understand this *Cliff Lee, holla!*) and less hitting-oriented (which we all know is Charlie’s biggest strength). Managing bullpen pieces correctly and efficiently, not leaving starters in too long… those are all factors that might become more relevant as the game evolves. And those mistakes will cost games, and wins… and next thing you know, Charlie might not be the right fit anymore. But that’s me thinking medium- and long- term… which is kind of a moot point given his age.

In the meantime, we need a guy who keeps the team chemistry right, like it’s been in the past several years. And the guy for that is Charlie.

7. Brooks

January 13, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I voted 2-3 years as well Manny. As far as the game changing, I dont know about that. The so called “Year of the Pitcher” was not just a co-ordinated effort by the pitchers – I believe most of it was created by the umps and they realize, mostly for around the league that hits draw, not pitching and defense. I bet you see a big turnaround this year.

• Manny

January 14, 2011 at 11:17 am

Well, I believe the numbers for pitchers have been gradually getting better, which makes me think we are entering (or already in) a pitcher’s era. Better control on performance-enhancing drugs, coupled with a new, deeper focus on pitching in the minor leagues by virtually every team, have paved the way… just look at all the young pitching talent out there. Those guys will dominate baseball for the foreseeable future.

8. Chuck

January 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I’m really not sure what the debate is here. The man has earned a nice extension…..2-3 years.

9. The Original Chuck P

January 13, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I think that Charlie’s worth an extension but I don’t think that you need to give it to him now… a 2-3 year extension means that he’s managing here 3-4 more years (including the current year in which he’s still under contract). A lot can happen between now and then. I just don’t think we need to do anything yet- it’s not a knock on Charlie or me being disloyal. It’s just how it goes.

If $4 million is the number, I would tell Charlie to take a hike. That would make him the highest paid manager in baseball- La Russa made $2.8 million last year. Cox and Piniella made $3 and $3.5 million, respectively, Torre made $7.5 (where did that come from). Cox, Piniella and Torre are no longer managing and La Russa is a drunk… not sure what my point is other than I’m not ready to make Charlie Manuel the highest paid manager in baseball for the next four years. Let’s see how he does with this pitching staff and this season.

• Chuck

January 13, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I TOTALLY disagree. You can’t let a guy like Charlie…with all the success he’s had….be a lame duck this season. Extend him. Give him some security and peace of mind. He’s MORE than earned it.

10. pegasus62

January 13, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Make him Supreme Overlord of the Phillies for Life!

11. TM8

January 13, 2011 at 6:34 pm

The thing that makes baseball special is that it doesn’t always make sense. Initially, I couldn’t believe he was hired to lead. He can coach hitters, but he wasn’t the guy to be making game decisions. Charlie’s success continues to remind me that there are few things as fragile as a baseball team. He seems to be the perfect personality for this group. Its magic. Give Charlie all the years he wants with this single concern . . . will we miss Davey Lopes too much.

12. The Original Chuck P

January 13, 2011 at 7:17 pm

will we miss Davey Lopes too much…

That’s one of the reasons that I’m not willing to jump off the bridge in this instance. Everyone who knows me knows that I have been a HUGE Charlie Manuel supporter since day one… through good times and bad, thick (early days) and thin (post Nutri System). When people would call for his head, I would defend the guy because he has obtained results but this team is changing. How important was Davey Lopes to this team? I think that he was very important… last year was a success on many levels but the team struggled offensively. The new faces (Halladay and Oswalt) carried this team. Does that mean that the other guys have become a little bit complacent? All I’m saying is Charlie is going to be one of the highest paid managers in baseball this year (if not the highest paid) so the “security” issue doesn’t hold weight… if they win a championship which I believe is the only acceptable result in 2011, he’ll get a long-term extension and by long-term I mean 3-4 years. If they don’t, I think that you have to start asking, “If we are the best team (on paper) in baseball, why have we only won one championship??”

13. mick

January 14, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Charlie can stay as long as he wants to stay….He has done a great job as the Phillies skipper….with the sellout crowds that are attending and our team reaching the playoffs each year….I am loving every minute of it and plan on attending several games this season!!!!

January 14, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I voted a 2-3 year extension. I like the way he stays so even keeled, when no one else does. He never makes panic moves, and allows his coaches to coach, and players to play. As elementary as that sounds, I think it’s the single most important thing a manager can do for his team. He never gives up on his guys no matter what. It drives me crazy sometimes, but it’s good for the club.

I don’t have to admit that his problems as an in game manager bother me at times. Everyone knows how I scream bloody murder every time he lets Joe Blanton bat a third time, or start the seventh inning (whichever comes first) when we all know big Joe will implode 95% of the time in that situation no matter how well he has pitched thus far in a game.

But then again you have to say that his lack of micromanaging works for him, and his players seem to love his style. The results, his record, are the proverbial “proof in the pudding”. It may not always taste great, but it always fills you up.

15. daurentz

January 15, 2011 at 4:56 am

How caqn you not love Charlie? He’s got a winning record…enough said!