2010 Top Moments

Top Moment #22: 11 Innings, One Hit

Welcome to the Phillies Nation Top 25 Moments of 2010, as voted on by the staff of this fine blog. Amanda Orr spent countless hours calculating, tabulating, and anticipating – so, please enjoy.

Top moments No. 23, 24, and 25 all had to do with bullpen implosions-good or bad. This one was all about pitching excellence.

If there was an underlying theme to the 2010 Phillies season, it was outstanding starting pitching, particularly by Roy Halladay, who delivered two of the greatest pitching performances of this or any season. What you might not remember is the set of outstanding performances delivered by Cole Hamels, the Phillies’ beanpole lefty starter, who turned in one of the best seasons of his career.

Hamels’ best performance this season didn’t even earn him a win. On July 22, Hamels opposed St. Louis Cardinals ace Adam Wainwright in an afternoon game at Busch Stadium. Wainwright went six shutout innings, allowing six hits and walking none. Hamels delivered a line for the ages. For those of you who don’t follow advanced statistics, eight innings of one-hit shutout ball, with only one walk against seven strikeouts on only 97 pitches, in searing midsummer heat is impressive enough. The only hit Hamels allowed, a fifth-inning single by Matt Holliday, was nullified by a double play by the next batter. Tack on a game score of 86 and a WPA of 0.546, both season highs for Hamels, and you begin to understand how truly dominant Hamels was. It was the fourth-best game score and fifth-highest WPA by a Phillies starter all season, and by those two metrics, the best start made by a pitcher other than Roy Halladay.

Hamels’ superhuman performance was not enough, because not only did Wainwright shut out the Phillies, so did three Cardinals relievers, leaving the game scoreless into the 11th inning. Placido Polanco led off that inning with a home run, and a Raul Ibanez walk, a Ryan Howard single, and a Jayson Werth double in that order tacked on an insurance run.

After Hamels left the game, four Phillies relievers combined to throw three more no-hit innings. In total, only three of the 35 Cardinals to bat reached base, and it took the Redbirds until the 11th inning, when Brad Lidge walked Jon Jay, who promptly stole second, to get a man in scoring position.

Most of the time, the Phillies’ inability to score runs was an annoyance. But in this case, it set the stage for one of the great moments of the 2010 season.

Click to comment

1. yrsoprano

January 8, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Hamels was awesome in that game! Watching it just frustrated me because Hamels had already had a few games like this and the feeling was that the team just wouldn’t score behind him. This would continue through the season. How he held his cool, I’ll never know.

2. Phillistein

January 8, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Phillies bullpen was maligned all season. However, in the last 2 months of the season they were brilliant.

Glad that Romero is back although we still need another lefty no?

Would be happy to see Chad D back as well.

3. betasigmadeltashag

January 8, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Again the curse of 2009 haunted Cole on this day. The baseball gods work in mistyious way. After not being able to keep his cool in 2009, the gods decided to punish Cole with zero run support in 2010. Hopeully they will let him off the hook in 2011.
    And as far as another Lefty I think it is Bastardo will be it unless he has a terrible spring, which I do not think it will happen. IMO I think Bastardo my even be the first lefty out of the pen, and JC a true LOOGY

4. yrsoprano

January 8, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Well, if the baseball gods punished Cole last year, what on earth will they do to the Phillies line-up? What punishment awaits Ryan Howard? Shudder to think. LOL People make mistakes and Cole learned from his. It’s a credit to him that he took 2009 and became a better pitcher going forward. Some guys never get it.

I want to see more of Bastardo’s stuff before I anoint him the top lefty out of the pen. We already know JC and he needs to regain his control. My gut tells me JC will be fine.

• betasigmadeltashag

January 8, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I love Cole in no way was I dissing him, Just my superstitious self, trying to come up with a reason why Cole had no support last year. In a way it may have been a good thing for the fans to see, because he handled it like a pro. He did not have to prove it to me I had his back all year in 2009, but some philly fans were running him out of town, he is still young and took a huge step in proving he is a top tier pitcher in this league. And I think the baseball gods punished the Phillies offense enough last year, zero runs in three games at chitty field. I am perdicting a huge year for Ryan, JRoll, Chase and even Raul. And by Raul I mean .280 18 HRs and 95 RBI. I think you will see Ryan hit 40-50 HRs and Chase to hit .300

5. tavian

January 8, 2011 at 9:33 pm

That game was reminiscent of Don Drysdale vs Chris Short…. A game for the ages. Old fashioned hardball !

6. GoPhils

January 9, 2011 at 12:21 am

This RBI by Werth was his first hit with runners in scoring position (maybe qualified by with 2 outs) since i think May. There was talk about him being traded at this point because it was his contract year and I think this hit gave the FO the confidence to hang on to him. As good as Werth was, it was frustrating watching him go into funks during which he would stirke out seven consecutive times and continue to make outs in RISP situations, although i do think he had surge in this department in September. After this game, the Phils fired poor Milt Thompson and then proceeded to sweep out a seven game homestand.

7. Kate

January 9, 2011 at 1:48 am

Cole did GREAT in 2010 and I was even more proud of the way he handled the lack of run support than how he actually pitched. I honestly believe he came of age and we’ll see greater things out of him this coming season.

8. Chuck

January 9, 2011 at 11:27 am

“Beanpole lefty starter”??? I never thought of Cole Hamels as a beanpole.

Tremendous game. Tremendous season for Cole. And like I said earlier….18 wins for the “beanpole lefty” in 2011.